Author Topic: Is Joe Biden in good mental shape?  (Read 13192 times)

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Is Joe Biden in good mental shape?
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54:11 AM »
Agree. Every politician has gaffes and they always will. Heck, every human for that matter. More importantly, in what direction will they and their staff steer the country? This is where Biden is a FAR better candidate for president than Trump IMO.

One person's gaffe is another person's racist/sexist impropriety.

How long until Biden calls someone a "retard"?  I'd give it a 15% chance before November.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2020, 05:09:46 AM »
I just realized something.  You know how it is often said that there is nothing Trump could do that would alienate his base?  The same accusation could be leveled at me about Biden; I almost cannot imagine what he could do to lose my vote, and I don't even particularly like him.  I guess if he started torturing baby animals I would go with a write-in protest vote, but I still could never vote for Trump.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2020, 05:26:50 AM »
I just realized something.  You know how it is often said that there is nothing Trump could do that would alienate his base?  The same accusation could be leveled at me about Biden; I almost cannot imagine what he could do to lose my vote, and I don't even particularly like him.  I guess if he started torturing baby animals I would go with a write-in protest vote, but I still could never vote for Trump.

Not that I blame you, but this blind partisanship is a very bad sign.  Why even talk to the other side?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »

Not that I blame you, but this blind partisanship is a very bad sign.  Why even talk to the other side?
I think it's more of a testament to how bad Trump is as President and human being rather than how partisan you believe people are. Desperate times often call for desperate measures. I've voted Republican and Democrat and as I said earlier, normally I would be comparing and contrasting candidates from both sides right up until election day. Not this time. As for talking to people "on the other side" it's probably safe to say, after everything Trump has done/not done if you still support him, no one is changing your mind.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:12:11 AM by MasterStache »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2020, 06:23:47 AM »
Agree. Every politician has gaffes and they always will. Heck, every human for that matter. More importantly, in what direction will they and their staff steer the country? This is where Biden is a FAR better candidate for president than Trump IMO.

How long until Biden calls someone a "retard"?  I'd give it a 15% chance before November.

Joe Biden has been a politician (and therefore under public scrutiny) for a really long time now.  Does he have any recorded history of calling people 'retards'?  That's not the kind of thing that just slips out . . . it's indicative of a long standing comfort with using the word indiscriminately.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2020, 06:33:19 AM »

I think it's more of a testament to how bad Trump is as President and human being rather than how partisan you believe people are. Desperate times often call for desperate measure. I've voted for Republic and and Democrat and as I said, normally I would be comparing and contrasting candidates from both sides right up until election day. Not this time. As for talking to people "on the other side" it's probably safe to say, after everything Trump has done/not done if you still support him, no one is changing your mind.

Trump is so bad he caused the Dems to run the worst candidate in recent history?  Huh?  @rosarugosa was pretty clear in their partisan position here: if all that's left is digging one's heels in, regardless of side, there isn't really a discourse is there?

Joe Biden has been a politician (and therefore under public scrutiny) for a really long time now.  Does he have any recorded history of calling people 'retards'?  That's not the kind of thing that just slips out . . . it's indicative of a long standing comfort with using the word indiscriminately.
Time will tell how discriminate he is.  You can take the double meaning here for what it's worth.  The campaign trail is a harrowing one.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »
Shared by a friend of mine, and so far pretty indicative of how black people I know are seeing this.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »

I think it's more of a testament to how bad Trump is as President and human being rather than how partisan you believe people are. Desperate times often call for desperate measure. I've voted for Republic and and Democrat and as I said, normally I would be comparing and contrasting candidates from both sides right up until election day. Not this time. As for talking to people "on the other side" it's probably safe to say, after everything Trump has done/not done if you still support him, no one is changing your mind.

Trump is so bad he caused the Dems to run the worst candidate in recent history?  Huh? 

Worst seems a bit subjective don't you think? You may think he is the worst, but others certainly disagree. I think they could have done much better. However at this point, a shit sandwich is more appealing than Trump.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:23 AM »

You sure about that?  How about calling a woman at his rally a "lying dog faced pony soldier"?  Its not "retard" but it is evidence that offensive names to slip out form time to time...

https://youtu.be/TwVrg6UtxXQ

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »

Trump is so bad he caused the Dems to run the worst candidate in recent history?  Huh? 

Worst seems a bit subjective don't you think? You may think he is the worst, but others certainly disagree. I think they could have done much better. However at this point, a shit sandwich is more appealing than Trump.

What I find interesting is how every candidate that the Democrats run is now the worst candidate in history.  I mean we all heard that Trump won because Hilary was the worst candidate in history.  Obama was a secret death panel loving Muslim and caused the election of Trump too.  And now apparently Biden is the worst in history.  If Bernie Sanders had won, he would have been the worst candidate in history (although this would be for he center-left policies and abrasive nature rather than his tendency to be overly touchy / make gaffes while speaking) .  I suspect that regardless of who is selected for the next election the Democrats will again have 'the worst candidate in history'.

This is because 'Worst candidate in history' appears to be code for 'democratic front runner'.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
As 538 put it in a current article, sometimes enthusiasm for a candidate is based on negative partisanship. This is why Roy Moore lost -- 28% of Alabamans didn't switch to the Democratic party in one year.

Why are people shocked that Democrats and NeverTrumpers can do the same?

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2020, 12:49:34 PM »
Subjective--yes!  Like this entire thread.  I think the dems set themselves up for a better candidate, with their rhetoric and vitriol aimed at Trump, and then delivered a near-equally disappointing shit sandwich.  Who might have a malfunctioning brain. 

What I find interesting is how every candidate that the Democrats run is now the worst candidate in history.  I mean we all heard that Trump won because Hilary was the worst candidate in history.  Obama was a secret death panel loving Muslim and caused the election of Trump too.  And now apparently Biden is the worst in history.  If Bernie Sanders had won, he would have been the worst candidate in history (although this would be for he center-left policies and abrasive nature rather than his tendency to be overly touchy / make gaffes while speaking) .  I suspect that regardless of who is selected for the next election the Democrats will again have 'the worst candidate in history'.

This is because 'Worst candidate in history' appears to be code for 'democratic front runner'.

I said "in recent history".  Hillary was pretty bad.  Obama wasn't, he won twice and everything! 

At least Bernie is coherent, has a base and a solid platform.  He would probably have a good chance of winning this year.

As 538 put it in a current article, sometimes enthusiasm for a candidate is based on negative partisanship. This is why Roy Moore lost -- 28% of Alabamans didn't switch to the Democratic party in one year.

Do you mean to say--this is why Roy Moore won?  A good point, I shouldn't be surprised.  Ultimately I am not envious of the US people.  I honestly wouldn't know who to vote for, perhaps a third party.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »

Do you mean to say--this is why Roy Moore won?  A good point, I shouldn't be surprised.  Ultimately I am not envious of the US people.  I honestly wouldn't know who to vote for, perhaps a third party.

No, Roy Moore actually lost his election. Barely, but then a Republican losing in Alabama is practically a miracle. But the point is that Doug Jones didn't win because people loved him, he won because they hated Moore.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »

No, Roy Moore actually lost his election. Barely, but then a Republican losing in Alabama is practically a miracle. But the point is that Doug Jones didn't win because people loved him, he won because they hated Moore.
I understand now, thanks.  I wasn't really familiar with this guy.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2020, 04:24:22 AM »
For the record, I don't think it's that I'm partisan; I think it's a matter of Trump being a loathsome human being and a terrible leader.  I don't have a party affiliation (in MA, you can vote on either primary ballot if you are unenrolled).  I'm a big fan of our republican governor, Charlie Baker.  If it were a contest between Romney and Biden, I would likely vote Romney.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2020, 06:35:25 AM »
For the record, I don't think it's that I'm partisan; I think it's a matter of Trump being a loathsome human being and a terrible leader.  I don't have a party affiliation (in MA, you can vote on either primary ballot if you are unenrolled).  I'm a big fan of our republican governor, Charlie Baker.  If it were a contest between Romney and Biden, I would likely vote Romney.

In general, I find it fairly ridiculous when people accuse those who strongly dislike Trump as being unthinking partisans. As you say, he is a loathsome human being and a horrible leader.

And there are many, many Republicans — including former office-holders — who have spoken out against him.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »
Remember in 2016 the conspiracy that Hillary was super-sick, could barely sit up on her own, and needed pillows to prop her up? Remember how widespread the concern for this was? Now Biden, another politician with decades of experience suddenly is mentally unwell, and it’s deeply concerning? I have no clue if it is or not, but it seems suspiciously like good ol’ Russian propaganda.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
Remember in 2016 the conspiracy that Hillary was super-sick, could barely sit up on her own, and needed pillows to prop her up? Remember how widespread the concern for this was? Now Biden, another politician with decades of experience suddenly is mentally unwell, and it’s deeply concerning? I have no clue if it is or not, but it seems suspiciously like good ol’ Russian propaganda.

Yep. Unsurprising, given that this seems to be the main way to try and deflect from the fact that Trump is physically unfit and mentally unwell.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »
Just take everything the GOP or Trump says and know they are deflecting voter attention away from them on a similar topic. A fair bit of what they say and the labels they use are backwards.

They talk about freedom? That's freedom for them, another demographic will lose freedom. Fair? Fair for them, someone else won't receive fairness. Its old dog whistle politics at play.

Surprised the tactic still works in 2020.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
Hmm... well, the outrage of the day yesterday is how Trump took a giant step toward fascism by threatening to turn the military of this country against the citizens of this country.

I do not know how anyone who respects the laws of the US or its military could support this man any longer.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
Hmm... well, the outrage of the day yesterday is how Trump took a giant step toward fascism by threatening to turn the military of this country against the citizens of this country.

I do not know how anyone who respects the laws of the US or its military could support this man any longer.

The Pentagon, in a circumspect way, responded, "Our CIC is fuckin' crazy."

Any governor who accepts "insurrection" military aid will go down in history and not in a good way.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »

The Pentagon, in a circumspect way, responded, "Our CIC is fuckin' crazy."

Any governor who accepts "insurrection" military aid will go down in history and not in a good way.

Truth.

By the way, as might be inferred from the wording of my post, I meant to put this in the "Trump outrage of the day" thread. lol

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2020, 02:40:35 PM »

This is by design.  Repeat a phrase often enough, and regardless of its accuracy people will start to believe it. Hillary Clinton was a two-term US Senator and Secretary of State. Regardless of what you think of her policies and approach, she had considerable experience in both the legislative and executive branches of government.   yet rather than critique any of her policies her critics simply labeled her a weak and inexperienced candidate. John Kerry was a bona-fide war hero. SoS and five-time senator, yet he was forced to defend his well established military record because of the vague "swift-boat veterans for truth" campaign.  Obama spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with his birth certificate (led by Trump) even though there was never any real question about his upbringing.  Al Gore served in both the Senate and House for 16 years before being a two-term VP, yet he was successfully cast as the 'inexperienced' candidate to the two-term Gov of Texas (W. Bush).

...and now there's Biden, a man who's spent more than four decades in Congress and eight years in executive branch.  Yet the common critiques have nothing to do with his long legislative history, but boil down to these two things: 1) he's mentally unfit (see: this thread) and 2) he's a "uniquely weak candidate".  Ironically among Democrats the biggest complaint is that he's the "establishment pick" - which is basically the exact opposite of a weak/inexperienced pol.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »

This is by design.  Repeat a phrase often enough, and regardless of its accuracy people will start to believe it. Hillary Clinton was a two-term US Senator and Secretary of State. Regardless of what you think of her policies and approach, she had considerable experience in both the legislative and executive branches of government.   yet rather than critique any of her policies her critics simply labeled her a weak and inexperienced candidate. John Kerry was a bona-fide war hero. SoS and five-time senator, yet he was forced to defend his well established military record because of the vague "swift-boat veterans for truth" campaign.  Obama spent an inordinate amount of time dealing with his birth certificate (led by Trump) even though there was never any real question about his upbringing.  Al Gore served in both the Senate and House for 16 years before being a two-term VP, yet he was successfully cast as the 'inexperienced' candidate to the two-term Gov of Texas (W. Bush).

...and now there's Biden, a man who's spent more than four decades in Congress and eight years in executive branch.  Yet the common critiques have nothing to do with his long legislative history, but boil down to these two things: 1) he's mentally unfit (see: this thread) and 2) he's a "uniquely weak candidate".  Ironically among Democrats the biggest complaint is that he's the "establishment pick" - which is basically the exact opposite of a weak/inexperienced pol.

Yep. And it’s basically chapters 1-10 of the Trump Campaign Playbook: take the things that Trump is, and project them onto his opponent.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »

This is by design.  Repeat a phrase often enough, and regardless of its accuracy people will start to believe it.

How apt!

Here's what I originally said, just a few posts up the page:

Trump is so bad he caused the Dems to run the worst candidate in recent history?
Notice how the word "recent" was conveniently removed by subsequent posters and used to construct a strawman?  It is very misleading when people do this, I agree.

Here's another one, same strategy:

In general, I find it fairly ridiculous when people accuse those who strongly dislike Trump as being unthinking partisans.

The word "unthinking" was added out of careless expedience.  Here's what I actually said:

-------------------

Adding and removing words to change the meaning of phrases is a pretty juvenile way to make arguments, especially when it is followed by an accusation of this practice.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:03:02 PM by Wrenchturner »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2020, 04:17:19 PM »

In general, I find it fairly ridiculous when people accuse those who strongly dislike Trump as being unthinking partisans.

The word "unthinking" was added out of careless expedience.  Here's what I actually said:

-------------------

Adding and removing words to change the meaning of phrases is a pretty juvenile way to make arguments, especially when it is followed by an accusation of this practice.
(bolded)

Let me understand better. You think "blind" and "unthinking" are not synonyms in this context?

If they're not, what definition of "blind" are you using? Surely you didn't mean an actual can't-physically-see-through-one's-eyes person?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2020, 05:09:45 PM »
@Wrenchturner - I wasn’t responding to any of your posts, but to GuitarStv, which is why I quoted him as such.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »

-------------------

(bolded)

Let me understand better. You think "blind" and "unthinking" are not synonyms in this context?

If they're not, what definition of "blind" are you using? Surely you didn't mean an actual can't-physically-see-through-one's-eyes person?

If someone wants to quote me, they can quote me, instead of playing word games with words-that-might-be-synonyms.  Especially in the context of what's being discussed here--the accuracy of phrases being used by the "opposing side".  No, I don't think it's the same, because I don't think rosarugosa is unthinking.  If presidential candidates are so inadequate that statements like "I almost cannot imagine what he could do to lose my vote, and I don't even particularly like him" are required, then there are greater systemic problems at hand, and as I stated ("Not that I blame you") I don't consider this a reflection on rosarugosa, unlike the implication here:

"people accuse those who strongly dislike Trump as being unthinking partisans."

If I wanted to rebuke rosa, I would have done so here:

For the record, I don't think it's that I'm partisan; I think it's a matter of Trump being a loathsome human being and a terrible leader. 

The blindness is a general electorate blindness, not one attributed to this person.

@Wrenchturner - I wasn’t responding to any of your posts, but to GuitarStv, which is why I quoted him as such.

The context of his reply is significant insofar as it is inaccurate in exactly the way you describe--misleading.  To your point, regarding appropriate criticisms--I would say Biden's mental capacity is fair game.  This thread was created in good faith.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2020, 05:39:29 PM »

-------------------

(bolded)

If someone wants to quote me, they can quote me, instead of playing word games with words-that-might-be-synonyms.  Especially in the context of what's being discussed here--the accuracy of phrases being used by the "opposing side".  No, I don't think it's the same, because I don't think rosarugosa is unthinking.  If presidential candidates are so inadequate that statements like "I almost cannot imagine what he could do to lose my vote, and I don't even particularly like him" are required, then there are greater systemic problems at hand, and as I stated ("Not that I blame you") I don't consider this a reflection on rosarugosa, unlike the implication here:

"people accuse those who strongly dislike Trump as being unthinking partisans."

If I wanted to rebuke rosa, I would have done so here:

For the record, I don't think it's that I'm partisan; I think it's a matter of Trump being a loathsome human being and a terrible leader. 

The blindness is a general electorate blindness, not one attributed to this person.

The context of his reply is significant insofar as it is inaccurate in exactly the way you describe--misleading.  To your point, regarding appropriate criticisms--I would say Biden's mental capacity is fair game.  This thread was created in good faith.

My discussion of it being ridiculous when people accuse those who dislike Trump as being blindly partisan was general ridiculousness, not one attributed to this person.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2020, 10:21:04 AM »
I rarely vote a straight ticket but vote for the person. I would vote for a pet rock before I will vote for trump:))

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »
I would vote for a pet rock before I will vote for trump:))

Right? Pet Rock can't tweet. Pet Rock won't destroy democratic norms. Pet Rock won't alienate huge sections of the population.

Pet Rock 2020!

Other potential candidates include Pet Pygmy Goat who would do a bang-up job on the yearly turkey pardon.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:26:43 AM by PDXTabs »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »
Trump acts like he is on uppers, has frontal lobe dementia and is a sociopath. That’s the nicest thing I can say about him.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2020, 11:53:17 AM »
If Biden was in a Captain Pike wheelchair and could only communicate with flashes of light he still would be light years ahead of Cheeto Mussolini.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
I feel like any question of "Is Joe Biden in good mental shape?" gives undeserved credibility to yet another Trump-invented conspiracy, the same as "Should we be concerned about Obamagate?" or "Should Joe Scarborough be investigated for murder?" Trump came up with this ridiculous notion to deflect attention from himself and fire up like-minded conspiracy believers, just as he does with every other attack against his perceived "enemies."

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2020, 12:00:17 PM »
I feel like any question of "Is Joe Biden in good mental shape?" gives undeserved credibility to yet another Trump-invented conspiracy, the same as "Should we be concerned about Obamagate?" or "Should Joe Scarborough be investigated for murder?" Trump came up with this ridiculous notion to deflect attention from himself and fire up like-minded conspiracy believers, just as he does with every other attack against his perceived "enemies."

I still haven't seen Obama's long form birth certificate.  Just sayin'.

:P

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »

Yep. 100%.

People feed into his bullshit almost without being able to help themselves.