Author Topic: Imperfect produce  (Read 1715 times)

merlin7676

• Stubble
Imperfect produce
« on: May 09, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
Does anybody use imperfect produce?  Supposed to be cheaper than grocery store since most of it is fine other than it's "ugly" or imperfectly formed.
I have a coupon for 50% off first order.  A medium box is about $18-20 plus $4.00 so about $25 and you're able to customize the box based on what's available.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Imperfect produce
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
I find that the 'imperfect produce' isn't marked down enough to get me interested.  When I want imperfect produce, I buy marked down stuff from the "holy shit, this stuff is on the verge of going bad" bin.  I got 6 mangoes, 11 avocadoes, and 6 granny smith apples for 3.50$ last week.  They all went into smoothies that day anyway, so I don't care how they look on the outside.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »
Any idea of how many pounds you would get in a medium box for that price?

I question the ability to ship individual orders of produce for a good price but maybe it depends on where you live and shop. If they compare their prices to a place like Whole Foods to get the 30-50% off figure then it's still way more than I spend.

If your interest is in the environmental benefits I would question how much good it does there as well. I'm not saying it's not a net positive but it's likely that a company like this is going to tout the pros like how many pounds of produce they've saved without factoring in the cons of extra fuel spent sourcing and delivering or the extra packaging materials needed to deliver. Then again, if they're comparing themselves to other produce delivery services they are probably going to look good. Logistically the best way to "save" ugly produce is processing it to make other products or giving it to food banks. Maybe not what you're looking for because I don't have actual experience with the company but I am interested in learning more about them.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
Kristen over on her blog (The Frugal Girl) gets a ugly fruit/veggie delivery through Hungry Harvest. She's got several posts about it (did a search here): http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/?s=hungry+harvest

Main post about it here: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2017/05/all-about-hungry-harvest/

They were an East coast startup company that was on Shark Tank and she's pretty pleased with them. Got all sorts of levels, including organic, and can suspend delivery if you are on vacation and tell them any likes/dislikes to make sure you get things you'll definitely eat.

I wish they were available where I lived.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:49:15 AM »
Kristen over on her blog (The Frugal Girl) gets a ugly fruit/veggie delivery through Hungry Harvest. She's got several posts about it (did a search here): http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/?s=hungry+harvest

Main post about it here: http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2017/05/all-about-hungry-harvest/

They were an East coast startup company that was on Shark Tank and she's pretty pleased with them. Got all sorts of levels, including organic, and can suspend delivery if you are on vacation and tell them any likes/dislikes to make sure you get things you'll definitely eat.

I wish they were available where I lived.

Thanks for the links, this one actually delivers to my area. I took a look at their sample boxes that give you an idea of what comes in each box size and if I compare to prices I would pay at my normal grocery stores I'm still paying about 80% of what a box would cost, and that's ignoring sales. After sales, closer to 60%.

If you want to keep food from being wasted and save money on produce at the same time, check the dumpster out back :)

But again, I guess if you already know you want a delivery service of some sort this may be the best option.