Author Topic: I wish...  (Read 3964 times)

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
I wish...
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
....all the fireworks were banned. I'm not normally an anxious person, but the gunshot sounding ones have me on edge today.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I wish...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »
Imagine how people living in Chicago are feeling tonight.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
I'm with you, fireworks give me major anxiety AND I feel terrible for all of the wildlife during these events. Maybe one day we'll have some with less noise pollution.

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »
I'm with you, fireworks give me major anxiety AND I feel terrible for all of the wildlife during these events. Maybe one day we'll have some with less noise pollution.

I agree. Due to being in the Army I've heard my fair share of explosions and small arms fire. Some of the towns I've lived in sound worse than warzones on Independence Day. I don't worry about my dog when there are thunderstorms, but the Fourth of July is the only night I let the dog sleep in my room. I can hear her shivering against the door. That's what bothers me the most.  I can work through the noise, my dog, however, thinks Ragnarok has begun.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
There should be a 3 or 4 hour window on the 4th when people can do that shit but otherwise I am staring out my window at their pathetic, Neanderthal-like hootin' and hollerin' over their obnoxious explosions in the street and hating directly at them.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:42:06 PM »
My current residence is the first time in my life it's been a problem... for whatever reason people didn't let off a lot of fireworks in places where I used to live. Last year we had at least a week of people letting off illegal fireworks in the middle of the night. Launching them from the rooftops of Manhattan apartment buildings at 2AM. Every time one would go off and wake me up I would lay there just waiting for the building to catch fire...

I was waiting for the bus downtown tonight around 10:15PM and someone scared the shit out of me and a bunch of other passersby when they set off some kind of fireworks out of a window four stories up in a tall apartment building. Explosion, flashes, sparks shooting everywhere, right over the sidewalk.

Who the hell thinks this is a good idea in the middle of densely-packed neighborhoods?? At least go to the park or the river or something where you won't burn down a building with 100 sleeping people inside.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
Honestly, I was back in the USA last July. I was disappointed by the lack of fire works.

I had assumed it would be like New Years in Taiwan and people would be selling fire crackers and more explosives on the side of the road. Nope, no fire works for sale and no one wanted to go snack on the beach and shoot them off.

I made it up at New Years.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
It's only July 2.  Why are people in the US setting off fireworks on July 1?  Are they helping us celebrate Canada Day? (150 years yesterday).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:13:46 AM »
Fireworks are really annoying.  They terrify the heck out of my dog and can be loud enough to make it difficult to sleep.  In my current neighbourhood there will be multiple salvos of fireworks set off for just about any long weekend at all, which seems a bit excessive to me . . . but our family has never really celebrated by blowing things up.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 06:03:31 AM »

Anyone who's lived in an urban environment can easily tell the difference between fireworks and gunshots.  Fireworks go BOOM or CRACKLE, gunshots go POP.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »
. . . but our family has never really celebrated by blowing things up.

Your family must be super-different from mine. Gawd, I love fireworks. But I live in the sticks, so we don't have any neighbors to bother. When I lived in town, I still set them off, but we capped off our festivities at 10 PM. Even a pyro like myself gets pissed at the drunk a-holes who feel the need to light fireworks until 1 AM or later.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »

Anyone who's lived in an urban environment can easily tell the difference between fireworks and gunshots.  Fireworks go BOOM or CRACKLE, gunshots go POP.

Plenty of fireworks go pop, trust me.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:21:44 PM by Johnez »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
I'm just glad it's been rainy this year and is raining today. Last year it was wildfire everywhere and still some propel shot off fireworks.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
^Agreed.

As a kid, and even now today I love fireworks. The shows are impressive up close and even far off. As a kid we would watch fireworks every day being shot off at Disneyland from our motel parking lot. A few years ago me and my lady went down to Huntington Beach for the celebrations. Most impressive show I've seen, such satisfying booms and HUUUUGE explosions of color. Sitting in our little hand dug sand chairs, I was mesmerized-and it was free! I can understand the appeal of lighting off your own fireworks and all, hell used to do it myself-but that stuff is expensive and doesn't hold a candle to the pro shows. Curious how the poorer are quite willing to blow that money-literally up in smoke, hundreds of dollars worth, and yet there are free or inexpensive shows all over.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
I hate them too.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!