Author Topic: I Support/Oppose The Articles Of Impeachment Because ______________  (Read 44499 times)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I Support/Oppose The Articles Of Impeachment Because ______________
« Reply #200 on: December 29, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

The politicians are mostly responsible for the race to the bottom, so I have little sympathy for them. They do it because it works. Reason and compromise are to be avoided.  About the last thing you want to do as a politician is to humanize your opposition. Because then your own followers might question whether their support of you is really merited. Always demonize, never compromise are words to live by for politics circa 2020.

For the rest of us one saving grace is that we can refrain from participation. We can abstain. At least for now.

Freedom to choose includes the choice of abstention from politics which encompasses choosing not to exercise the  franchise on election day, a symbolic vote of "no confidence" or "none of the above."

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
Finally an explanation why there are still Trump supporters that I can get behind: the "shared psychosis" theory.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/27/pelosi-has-the-right-to-submit-trump-to-an-involuntary-evaluation-yale-psychiatrist-bandy-lee/

Implying that your opposition is psychotic isn’t particularly persuasive.  But I’m always thankful when politicos use those sorts of arguments. 

Those of us of who think that politics sucks and that reasonable people should just abstain can just point to examples A, B, C, D and so on as reasons why.

I was interested that a Professor of Psychiatry at Yale was applying a known mental health condition, Folie à deux or shared psychotic disorder, to explain how Trump has captured the views of the Republican Party -

“Shared psychosis” is a phenomenon which happens in households or in nations when a sick person goes untreated and healthy members are in close contact. Rather than the sick person getting better, the otherwise healthy people take on symptoms of the sick person, as if they had the sickness themselves. It is a very dramatic phenomenon that equally dramatically disappears when you remove the sick person from contact or media exposure.
The severity by which others are affected is what induces me to believe that Trump is sometimes truly paranoid and delusional rather than merely lying. The difference is a matter of degree, and I have enough experience with this dynamic in prison settings to recognize that this is at pathological levels. In this context, almost anyone who actively takes the side of the president is likely to have some degree of the “shared psychosis.” If you were unaffected, you would be repelled. And this is why we often see a clear split, much like the binary division in our country."

Do you have an alternative explanation for why the whole of the Republican Party appears to have given up both reason and morality and become slavish followers of Trump?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
I don't think there's any hope of my persuading any Trump voter to change their mind: anyone who is still voting for Trump three years in to probably the worst President in US history isn't going to be listening to me.  I quoted that article because it's an explanation of Trump's effect that I hadn't heard before and which makes some sense, more than any other I've heard at least.

I would agree that the article in general isn't a good one, but that one point I did find novel and potentially interesting.  Has it applied to other leaders?  I can't think of another leader of a democratic country to whom a diagnosis of psychosis would be in the least plausible.  There needs to be another explanation for your Obama/Bernie supporters.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »

I can think of several instances where leaders held strong sway with their personality. Argentina under Peron. South Africa under Mandela. Czechoslovakia under Havel. Nicaragua under Ortega. North Korea under Kim. Seems to me that “psychosis” is based on personal perspective. There were no shortage of Republicans claiming bizarre behavior by Obama supporters. Seems to be much the same with Democrats and Trump supporters. I don’t have a dog in the fight, other than to point out the bad behavior.

Come on now, the Republicans accused Obama and Democrats of crazy shit that wasn't true. False equivalence.

Whether you liked him or not, Obama never engaged in bizarre behavior that indicated severe mental health problems. A veritable army of public servants, civilian and military, didn't testify to Obama committing illegal acts (and if there had been ANYTHING along those lines you know the Repubs would have dredged it up).

Your other examples are mainly dictators and/or unstable minor players in the world, where the people had no choice. This is the US of A, which is still supposed to be the biggest world power where presumably citizens still have the freedom to make other choices.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2019, 01:13:10 AM »
I don't think there's any hope of my persuading any Trump voter to change their mind: anyone who is still voting for Trump three years in to probably the worst President in US history isn't going to be listening to me.  I quoted that article because it's an explanation of Trump's effect that I hadn't heard before and which makes some sense, more than any other I've heard at least.

So why bother to make the argument if you don’t think it has any ability to persuade?

I would agree that the article in general isn't a good one, but that one point I did find novel and potentially interesting.  Has it applied to other leaders?  I can't think of another leader of a democratic country to whom a diagnosis of psychosis would be in the least plausible.  There needs to be another explanation for your Obama/Bernie supporters.

I can think of several instances where leaders held strong sway with their personality. Argentina under Peron. South Africa under Mandela. Czechoslovakia under Havel. Nicaragua under Ortega. North Korea under Kim. Seems to me that “psychosis” is based on personal perspective. There were no shortage of Republicans claiming bizarre behavior by Obama supporters. Seems to be much the same with Democrats and Trump supporters. I don’t have a dog in the fight, other than to point out the bad behavior.

Except the last one I was not mentally there to have experienced it, but as far as I know they didn't do "mental" things except egolomania, which is probably required in such positions and really the smallest of Trump's problems.
The only one I really have experienced is Kim, and I really don't think he is nuts. Quite contrary. He might not have the smoothness and sleight of hand of Putin, but he knows what he is doing. (QED: He is still in power)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »
I think the more parsimonious explanation of support of Trump by politicians is the belief that, they are all in this together, either you take it as a package, or they may go down all together. Many of the policy positions that Trump has, that Republicans have, are contingent on special interest money. It is a LOT of money and it is tied up with the RNC and if you don't toe the line, you do not get the money. And you lose re-election.  Saying you support Trump says that you are toeing the party line and you will get that money.
Though the Republicans make impassioned speeches about Trump being a victim, it is political crocodile tears.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-dana-bash-trump-may-withhold-campaign-funds-from-gop-senators-who-vote-for-impeachment/

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/24/budget-trump-leverage-1765427

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2019, 07:21:54 AM »
Buffalo, does it concern you that one of the two parties has taken so much corporate and special interest money that they are turning this country into an oligarchy? That's what Russia is. You DON'T want that. And the same party (with the exception of keeping a gun) keeps eroding people's individual rights as well as opportunities for education and advancement?

There was once upon a time that Republicans and Democrats were at least civil to the other group and their politicians could work together to draft and pass legislation. That time is gone, as well not only not supporting pillars of democracy (right to free speech, to vote, assembly, the free press, and freedom from discrimination) but actively suppressing them. You can't argue "each party is the same/equally bad" anymore.

https://www.timesunion.com/opinion/article/Michael-Gerson-Racism-is-not-just-another-14279998.php
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 07:26:22 AM by partgypsy »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »

”[…] the concentration camps [….] seem to have missed my notice.

Really?  Too far south for you to see?  Not enough US citizens in them?

("Concentration camp" originated with the British in the Boer wars, the Nazis just borrowed the term.  And even then, in the Nazi lexicon the concentration camps were prisons and slightly different from the death camps where most of the six million were murdered.)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
Here is another article talking about the pro-authoritarianism of the Trump presidency. Compare authoritarianism governments (including Fascist Germany) and a democratic US. We want to preserve our democratic institutions.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/07/27/top-10-signs-of-creeping-authoritarianism-revisited/

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2019, 09:21:37 AM »
In much the same way that the left calls Donald Trump “orange Hitler.” Although the concentration camps and swastika flags seem to have missed my notice.

When people compare Trump to Hitler, they generally don't mean he has those things (although there are things similar existing right now in the US).
They generally mean Trump's behavior is like that of Hitler, and may lead to those concentration camps.
They mean things like denounce political enemy as bought by rich (jews), make Germany great again (admittedly there is a whole stadium of leaders saying this), say media that don't hail you are fake news (in German that is Lügenpresse - lie press), taking power from the elected groups (e.g. Senate) to rule directly (execute orders), growing political influence on the economic frustration of the low-end masses while getting suppert from rich special interest people and such stuff.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »
I did not expect this, but it seems people (even in Kentucky) are getting fed up with McConnell's flagrant disregard for his oath of office: https://www.salon.com/2019/12/27/law-professor-calls-out-mitch-mcconnell-for-violating-his-oath-of-office-in-top-kentucky-newspaper/

Under ARTICLE 1, SECTION 3, "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments."

Is the Senate's exercise of its Trial Power a constitutional commandment?

No.

I construe   the Trial Clause to mean the Senate's exercise of its Trial Power  is optional so there might not be a trial.

No trial is a possibility.

What do you think?

It's a distinct possibility. Now that would be a constitutional crisis.

It would only take a simple majority to overturn McConnell, though, and there would be more than 2 GOP defections. In that case, McConnell wouldn't even try.

Beyond its constitutional underpinnings the Senate is a creature of itself, a black box of arcana that contains   obscure traditions, byzantine procedural maneuvers, and ad hoc rule-making power that by themselves or in combination allow the Senate to reach  the result it wants, in Trump's case possibly no trial at all or trial and acquittal: the United States Senate is not going to commit political regicide.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:28:53 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2019, 10:00:53 AM »

Come on now, the Republicans accused Obama and Democrats of crazy shit that wasn't true. False equivalence.

In much the same way that the left calls Donald Trump “orange Hitler.” Although the concentration camps and swastika flags seem to have missed my notice. I don’t remember seeing you before so I’ll briefly reiterate my political perspective: I strive to be apolitical, and encourage others to abstain from participation. I’m neither Republican nor Democrat; I think our political “parties” suck and I don’t vote.

"Orange Hitler" is childish name calling on social media. Why are you comparing that with specific accusations against Obama which in some cases came from Republican lawmakers? That's like comparing whining children with adults making false criminal accusations which could have real legal implications. One is normal, expected, and can be easily ignored while the other is quite serious and cannot be taken lightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_Barack_Obama

Not to mention and as Lennstarr pointed out, comparing someone to Hitler is not a claim that they are exactly alike in every way, it's meant to point out similarities. For example, any politician who refers to the press as the enemy of the people can reasonably be put into a group with Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Nixon, but only based on that one characteristic.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
When people compare Trump to Hitler, they generally don't mean he has those things (although there are things similar existing right now in the US).
They generally mean Trump's behavior is like that of Hitler, and may lead to those concentration camps.
They mean things like denounce political enemy as bought by rich (jews), make Germany great again (admittedly there is a whole stadium of leaders saying this), say media that don't hail you are fake news (in German that is Lügenpresse - lie press), taking power from the elected groups (e.g. Senate) to rule directly (execute orders), growing political influence on the economic frustration of the low-end masses while getting suppert from rich special interest people and such stuff.

Thank you for this. I was having a difficult time framing my thoughts the other day and this is spot-on for me.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2020, 06:30:36 AM »
Or perhaps you're talking more specifically of immigration "detention centers" AKA prisons.  Last I checked, illegally entering a country will get you thrown in prison in most countries. I say "most", but I'm not aware country of any country that will just welcome you with open arms and give you the key to the city because you violated their entry laws. 

Is there some sort of unusually harsh prison conditions that you're referring to? I'm not aware of anything that would qualify as concentration camps in the sense that they were used during the Boer war, WWII, or more recently in Yugoslavia.

Detention Centers are not prisons as these folks have not been tried and convicted of committing a crime nor are they awaiting trial for such. Sure illegally entering a country will get you typically detained (not tossed in prison). But you make a rather gross leap from simple detention to WWII era style death camps.

As for harsh conditions, I guess it depends on your definition of harsh. The US has embassies worldwide and one of their missions is to ensure US citizens receive fair and humane treatment while being held in confinement for whatever reason. How much you want to bet if a US citizen were treated as poorly and inhumanely as our country treats immigrants in detention centers at the border, the embassy would have a field day? No we aren't lining them up to gas them. But our administrations "zero tolerance" policy isn't exactly humane.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/a-firsthand-report-of-inhumane-conditions-at-a-migrant-childrens-detention-facility 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
Or perhaps you're talking more specifically of immigration "detention centers" AKA prisons.  Last I checked, illegally entering a country will get you thrown in prison in most countries. I say "most", but I'm not aware country of any country that will just welcome you with open arms and give you the key to the city because you violated their entry laws. 

Is there some sort of unusually harsh prison conditions that you're referring to? I'm not aware of anything that would qualify as concentration camps in the sense that they were used during the Boer war, WWII, or more recently in Yugoslavia.

Detention Centers are not prisons as these folks have not been tried and convicted of committing a crime nor are they awaiting trial for such. Sure illegally entering a country will get you typically detained (not tossed in prison). But you make a rather gross leap from simple detention to WWII era style death camps.

As for harsh conditions, I guess it depends on your definition of harsh. The US has embassies worldwide and one of their missions is to ensure US citizens receive fair and humane treatment while being held in confinement for whatever reason. How much you want to bet if a US citizen were treated as poorly and inhumanely as our country treats immigrants in detention centers at the border, the embassy would have a field day? No we aren't lining them up to gas them. But our administrations "zero tolerance" policy isn't exactly humane.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/a-firsthand-report-of-inhumane-conditions-at-a-migrant-childrens-detention-facility
If you look at the history, you will find that the early versions of the Boer War concentration camps and the early (Dachau 1933) versions of the Nazi concentration camps were not intended to kill people or starve them to death and on the whole didn't do so: those conditions were allowed to develop over time.  The Trump detention camps are only a year or two in but the conditions are already pretty appalling for a rich and so-called civilised country -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/03/migrant-dentention-centres-us-border-patrol
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/12/us-immigration-detention-facilities

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »
Both political "parties" aren't much different from criminal gangs, they just operate under the color of law.

I keep tripping over this part of your post because it's hard for me to make any sense of it.

Both political parties aren't much different from criminal gangs.  Except that they operate legally.  Which means they aren't criminals.  Which means that they differ from criminal gangs in the defining feature of a criminal gang.

You could make the same argument for the boy scouts of america, the Salvation Army, or a children's little league team.  You sir, are not much different than a murderer and rapist, you just have never been found to murder or rape people.  :P

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2020, 12:22:20 PM »
I feel as if one's opinion on this matter can be identified by how they respond to this question:

Q:  Do you believe the end justifies the means? 

If you believe the end justifies the means, then you can accept many transgressions to accomplish what you believe is a good outcome or at least a good intention.
If you do not believe the end justifies the means, then dishonesty of any sort is not okay.

I want my leaders to follow rules, therefore,
I support impeachment.  Trump's dishonesty was enough for me.    I felt the same way when it was Clinton. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:33:46 PM by BlueHouse »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »
The people currently in power want people to be uneducated,  disgusted, and apathetic to the point of staying away from the polls. So buffalo chip even if you don't realize you are, you are following one party's rulebook. One side, pushed so many false narratives, that honestly, people give up on even keeping up with it. If you don't believe me, look at the number of false stories smearing democratic or liberal candidates, vs the other way around. Think about it. If you can't take away the right to vote, you can't take away the press, the next best thing is to suppress the vote, make people so disgusted they abstain from voting, and make people distrust the press. And as we see in buffalo chip, who I assume is a reasonably intelligent person, an effective approach. What is the price? Ultimately, being able to live in a democracy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:12:18 PM by partgypsy »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2020, 12:48:42 PM »
The people currently in power want people to be uneducated,  disgusted, and apathetic to the point of staying away from the polls.

One side, pushed so many false narratives, that honestly, people give up on even keeping up with it.

So buffalo chip even if you don't realize you are, you are following one party's rulebook.

Who's pushing false narratives?  Who's playing whom?  Do you realize that your perceptions could easily be inverted towards yourself?

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »
The people currently in power want people to be uneducated,  disgusted, and apathetic to the point of staying away from the polls.

One side, pushed so many false narratives, that honestly, people give up on even keeping up with it.

So buffalo chip even if you don't realize you are, you are following one party's rulebook.

Who's pushing false narratives?  Who's playing whom?  Do you realize that your perceptions could easily be inverted towards yourself?

Even if you were right (your not), if one party significantly benefits from convincing everyone to "get out and vote for the best candidate", then that party should win.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
Even if you were right (your not), if one party significantly benefits from convincing everyone to "get out and vote for the best candidate", then that party should win.
Seems to me, the best candidate should win, and it shouldn't have anything to do with politicians asking people to vote.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »
Seems to me, the best candidate should win, and it shouldn't have anything to do with politicians asking people to vote.

So far I have seen zero politicians on the MMM forums asking people to vote, just regular citizens.

If you define "best" as "best able to play the skewed Electoral College system and/or heavily gerrymandered district and best able to suppress the vote amongst everyone except your own party's extremists who will vote no matter what so that you barely eke out a technical victory", then yes you are correct by definition.

If you define "best" as "best represents the views of the average citizen", then no, we are very definitely interested in getting as many people out to vote as possible.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »
So far I have seen zero politicians on the MMM forums asking people to vote, just regular citizens.

If you define "best" as "best able to play the skewed Electoral College system and/or heavily gerrymandered district and best able to suppress the vote amongst everyone except your own party's extremists who will vote no matter what so that you barely eke out a technical victory", then yes you are correct by definition.

If you define "best" as "best represents the views of the average citizen", then no, we are very definitely interested in getting as many people out to vote as possible.

"Best" as determined by the rules and guidelines structured to enable a democratic election, including the electoral college.  I believe the USA has a functioning democracy.

My more general point is that the cynicism you apply to the "other side" could easily be applied to you by the "other side", and therefore renders this strategy useless.

It is worthwhile to believe that your intellectual opponents disagree with you for valid reasons.  And an election outcome that yields a loss for "your side" should not be interpreted as malpractice from the "other side".  Maybe in North Korea, but it's a tough sell in the USA.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
I don't think that politicians need to ask people to vote (I mean, the more people that vote the better a democracy works . . . but free choice and all that).  But they absolutely should not be involved in voter suppression.  Which is extremely popular on the Republican side.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »

"Best" as determined by the rules and guidelines structured to enable a democratic election, including the electoral college.  I believe the USA has a functioning democracy.

My more general point is that the cynicism you apply to the "other side" could easily be applied to you by the "other side", and therefore renders this strategy useless.

It is worthwhile to believe that your intellectual opponents disagree with you for valid reasons.  And an election outcome that yields a loss for "your side" should not be interpreted as malpractice from the "other side".  Maybe in North Korea, but it's a tough sell in the USA.

Unfortunately for your argument, the facts disagree with you.

https://www.businessinsider.com/partisan-gerrymandering-has-benefited-republicans-more-than-democrats-2017-6

Michigan provides a good example of how the formula works.

Last fall, voters statewide split their ballots essentially 50-50 between Republican and Democratic state House candidates. Yet Republicans won 57 percent of the House seats, claiming 63 seats to the Democrats’ 47. That amounted to an efficiency gap of 10.3 percent in favor of Michigan’s Republicans, one of the highest advantages among all states.

That also marked the third straight Michigan House election since redistricting with double-digit efficiency gaps favoring Republicans. Stephanopoulos said such a trend is “virtually unprecedented” and indicative of a durable Republican advantage.

Republicans controlled both chambers of the Michigan Legislature, as well as the governor’s office, when the maps were redrawn in 2011.

As lawmakers prepared to vote on those maps, former Democratic state Rep. Lisa Brown recalls being summoned into a private room near the back of the House chamber. She says a top Republican lawmaker showed her two potential maps. One kept her home in the same district while the other shifted her neighborhood into a predominantly Republican district to the east.

Brown said she was offered a deal: Vote with Republicans or get stuck with the less-favorable map. She declined.

As a result, Brown said, “I was gerrymandered out of my district.”
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:30:46 PM by JLee »

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
Fair enough.  I suppose you could say that republicans are more guilty of gerrymandering.  Maybe the electoral college should be scrapped.  As I am a conservative, however, I can also see that rural areas tend to lean more conservative; is there validity in the idea that their voices should be heard clearly?  I often see this as an issue of population vs. geography.  Is the US a union of people, or a union of states?  Because if it's a union of states, it seems reasonable to build structures that increase the voice of rural areas when voting is done by counting heads.  This will get noisy with partisan behavior no doubt.  Is there a better solution?

(We have similar issues in Canada.)

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »

Now you're just jumping all around and moving the goal posts. Never did I say that just because "my side" lost that the system was flawed.

My point was that it is obviously untrue that trying to get people to vote is "just as cynical" as trying to suppress the vote. Attempts to suppress the vote are obviously partisan cynical attempts to win by technicality when you can't win normally. Attempts to get out the vote are obviously not "just as cynical", you're just mad that conservatives don't tend to win in the US when more people vote.

As to the other points:
1) This is not a discussion happening in a vacuum where it is unknowable what the truth on the issues is. Republicans are drastically more guilty of gerrymandering and suppressing the vote and attempting to undermine democracy through partisan legal mechanisms than Democrats are, and that's a fact not an opinion.

2) Getting everyone to vote does not somehow magically suppress the voice of the rural voters. In the US they will always have an tremendously outsized influence on power due to the Senate, not to mention the add-on effects of a House that is far too small and their combined effect on the Electoral College. There is no reason that we have to add gerrymandering and voter suppression in order to ensure that the rural voters "are heard".
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:57:02 PM by sherr »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »
Fair enough.  I suppose you could say that republicans are more guilty of gerrymandering.  Maybe the electoral college should be scrapped.  As I am a conservative, however, I can also see that rural areas tend to lean more conservative; is there validity in the idea that their voices should be heard clearly?  I often see this as an issue of population vs. geography.  Is the US a union of people, or a union of states?  Because if it's a union of states, it seems reasonable to build structures that increase the voice of rural areas when voting is done by counting heads.  This will get noisy with partisan behavior no doubt.  Is there a better solution?

Well, why don't we get rid of the electoral college and just assign people a vote coefficient based on zip code then? Live in a city? Get a 1 coefficient. Live in BFE Wyoming? Get a 3.6 coefficient (that's the actual vote weighting difference between CA and WY in the electoral college). The coeffcient could be indexed to a "ruralness" factor based on population density of registration address. But why stop there if we want to make sure nobody feels left out. We could further expand that concept to modifying the voter coefficient by other underrepresented metrics such as: minority ethnicity, obscure religion, high IQ, etc... Why do we choose population density as the important metric for federal elections? As stated elsewhere, the senate already provides a mechanism for union of states and disproportionate voices for rural areas.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
The people currently in power want people to be uneducated,  disgusted, and apathetic to the point of staying away from the polls. So buffalo chip even if you don't realize you are, you are following one party's rulebook. One side, pushed so many false narratives, that honestly, people give up on even keeping up with it. If you don't believe me, look at the number of false stories smearing democratic or liberal candidates, vs the other way around. Think about it. If you can't take away the right to vote, you can't take away the press, the next best thing is to suppress the vote, make people so disgusted they abstain from voting, and make people distrust the press. And as we see in buffalo chip, who I assume is a reasonably intelligent person, an effective approach. What is the price? Ultimately, being able to live in a democracy.

Open up your history books to 100 years ago. We've already been down this path many times. Coal miners, shirt factory workers, small town businesses, people living/working in a pinch.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:31:12 PM by Just Joe »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2020, 03:25:59 PM »
A friend sent me this today--

As we enter the roaring '20's, I'm grateful that we're not in as bad of shape as we were the last time.

Back then, the country was being torn apart politically, the wealthy were watching the public burn in poverty, markets were on the verge of collapse, and war was becoming almost unavoidable. Glad it's not then.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2020, 06:41:09 PM »
My point was that it is obviously untrue that trying to get people to vote is "just as cynical" as trying to suppress the vote. Attempts to suppress the vote are obviously partisan cynical attempts to win by technicality when you can't win normally. Attempts to get out the vote are obviously not "just as cynical", you're just mad that conservatives don't tend to win in the US when more people vote.
I'm saying that equating the existence of an electoral college to gerrymandering is cynical.  You can say that rural republican support is based in gerrymandering or voter suppression, or you could say that it's a typical outcome for rural areas which tend to be more conservative.  I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's dangerous to muddy the waters.  Also, I'm not so sure the dems are benevolent when it comes to voter shenanigans; it's my understanding that removing ID requirements to vote(for instance) would increase dem support--is this shenanigans or is it benevolent?  Same problem exists here and that's why I'm not using it as an argument.

1) This is not a discussion happening in a vacuum where it is unknowable what the truth on the issues is. Republicans are drastically more guilty of gerrymandering and suppressing the vote and attempting to undermine democracy through partisan legal mechanisms than Democrats are, and that's a fact not an opinion.

Sounds a lot like an opinion to me!

2) Getting everyone to vote does not somehow magically suppress the voice of the rural voters. In the US they will always have an tremendously outsized influence on power due to the Senate, not to mention the add-on effects of a House that is far too small and their combined effect on the Electoral College. There is no reason that we have to add gerrymandering and voter suppression in order to ensure that the rural voters "are heard".
This is a fair point.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2020, 06:43:24 PM »

Well, why don't we get rid of the electoral college and just assign people a vote coefficient based on zip code then? Live in a city? Get a 1 coefficient. Live in BFE Wyoming? Get a 3.6 coefficient (that's the actual vote weighting difference between CA and WY in the electoral college). The coeffcient could be indexed to a "ruralness" factor based on population density of registration address. But why stop there if we want to make sure nobody feels left out. We could further expand that concept to modifying the voter coefficient by other underrepresented metrics such as: minority ethnicity, obscure religion, high IQ, etc... Why do we choose population density as the important metric for federal elections? As stated elsewhere, the senate already provides a mechanism for union of states and disproportionate voices for rural areas.

These seem reasonable except it's going to be difficult to figure out who's underrepresented.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2020, 07:40:54 PM »
Women, gay people, and minorities are wildly underrepresented in government by every metric I can think of.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2020, 08:47:52 PM »
I'm saying that equating the existence of an electoral college to gerrymandering is cynical.  You can say that rural republican support is based in gerrymandering or voter suppression, or you could say that it's a typical outcome for rural areas which tend to be more conservative.  I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's dangerous to muddy the waters.  Also, I'm not so sure the dems are benevolent when it comes to voter shenanigans; it's my understanding that removing ID requirements to vote(for instance) would increase dem support--is this shenanigans or is it benevolent?  Same problem exists here and that's why I'm not using it as an argument.

Sounds a lot like an opinion to me!

This is a fair point.

Are you ignoring facts?

https://www.businessinsider.com/partisan-gerrymandering-has-benefited-republicans-more-than-democrats-2017-6

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/27/18761166/supreme-court-gerrymandering-republicans-democracy

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/12/30/gerrymanders-part-1-busting-the-both-sides-do-it-myth/

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
I'm saying that equating the existence of an electoral college to gerrymandering is cynical.  You can say that rural republican support is based in gerrymandering or voter suppression, or you could say that it's a typical outcome for rural areas which tend to be more conservative.  I believe the truth lies in the middle and it's dangerous to muddy the waters.

Whew, good thing I didn't equate them! I implied that Republicans benefit from both from gerrymandering and the unequal advantage granted to rural voters though the Senate and the Electoral College (and through Republican voter suppression efforts and through corrupt partisan legal mechanizations). Not that they're the same thing, but that unfair competitions are the only way Republicans can win. Which they know. Which is why they constantly seek to suppress the vote and gerrymander more and make the competition more unfair.

No, obviously rural areas to be more conservative and that's not based on gerrymandering and voter suppression, doubly so when the Republicans are straight up buying votes with deficit-funded farmer subsidies. That doesn't somehow magically mean that Republicans aren't also gerrymandering, and suppressing the vote, and doing everything they can this side of the law (or sometimes not on this side of the law, looking at you Georgia and NC-9) to steal elections and destroy true democracy in every way they can. Which they are, if you'd bother to look. And you can't falsely equate being for democracy with being against rural conservative voters.

Also, I'm not so sure the dems are benevolent when it comes to voter shenanigans; it's my understanding that removing ID requirements to vote(for instance) would increase dem support--is this shenanigans or is it benevolent?  Same problem exists here and that's why I'm not using it as an argument.

Okay, let's take an example. Local to me, since I'm actually here and you're in Canada. Here's how it played out in NC, where I live:
1. In 2013, the Republican Supreme Court struck down the portion of the Voter Rights Act that specified which States have to get approval before changing election law (the former Confederate States), claiming it was out of date.

2. The very next day the Republican legislature in North Carolina requested statistics on how people vote by race, and started working on and eventually passed a "voter ID" bill to cut out all of the forms that black people use (cut early voting, don't accept forms of ID that black people are more likely to have, eliminating same-day voter registration which black people are more likely to use, etc.).

3. It was eventually unanimously struck down by a 3-judge panel as being intentionally racist and therefore unconstitutional, ruling that "it targeted African-Americans with almost surgical precision" and that the state's defence of "we're not targeting black voters because they're black, we're targeting black voters because they're more likely to be Democrats" was not good enough. No seriously, that was the defense.

4. Not to mention that our state's district map has also been thrown out as an unconstitutional racial gerrymander, but Republicans have managed to slow-walk the process of justice so well that we've been voting under it for the entire decade anyway.

5. And the Republican's best attempt at a new map for 2020 which is supposed to just be regular-old partisan gerrymandered (thanks again Supreme Court) after the courts ordered the legislature to redraw the maps without using race data, once again were drawn with race data. We only found out about that because the Republican's map-drawer died and his daughter inherited his computer, they straight-out lied several times in court and claimed the weren't using racial distribution data.

This is what the Democrats (and all who value equality and democracy and the bedrock principles this country was founded upon) are fighting against. So sure, once you undo a few of the Republican's racist voting restrictions and gerrymanders and wowee, the support for Democrats does indeed rise! "Shenanigans!" says you. "Good riddance, evil racist democracy-killing bastards" says I.

Not to mention that in general literally every time the "voter fraud" that you are alleging the Democrats participate in has been investigated, it hasn't been found. Even by the Republicans who have been desperate to find it. Like say Trump's own Voter Integrity Commission, which was quietly dismissed after not finding anything. Or literally any other time it's been investigated by any Republican witch hunt in any Republican State. Got anything besides disproven conspiracy theories and open propaganda to back your side up?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:34:59 PM by sherr »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2020, 04:55:20 AM »
Thank you, Sherr. Similar garbage has occurred in my state (Michigan), where some of the most egregious Republican gerrymandering in the US has also occurred. In 2018, Michigan voters passed a ballot proposal (by a wide margin) that would require future redistricting to be performed by an independent coalition, rather than the party in power at the time. Not surprisingly, the GOP of Michigan filed a lawsuit to overturn the will of the voters. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/27/gerrymandering-michigan-citizens-voters-not-politicians

I think the 2018 election of a Democrat state governor/lt. governor, attorney general, and secretary of state (by unquestionable margins) and the flipping of multiple seats in the state and federal legislature from the GOP to Democrats drove home that even stacking the deck isn't necessarily going to work anymore.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2020, 06:31:12 PM »

These seem reasonable except it's going to be difficult to figure out who's underrepresented.
To be clear: I think it is problematic in a democracy to have different weighting for different citizens.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »
There's already different weighting for different citizens.  Why is a convicted felon who has served his time not allowed to vote in every state and been released back into society?  Technically the homeless are allowed to vote, but it's damned hard for them to do so.  Why can't a 17 year old vote?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2020, 07:11:56 AM »
I have always wondered why a 18 year old cannot buy alcohol (or now tobacco products) and yet can vote and be directed to kill other people by the government.  It is strange, our society

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2020, 04:06:01 PM »
Finally an explanation why there are still Trump supporters that I can get behind: the "shared psychosis" theory.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/27/pelosi-has-the-right-to-submit-trump-to-an-involuntary-evaluation-yale-psychiatrist-bandy-lee/

Implying that your opposition is psychotic isn’t particularly persuasive.  But I’m always thankful when politicos use those sorts of arguments. 

Those of us of who think that politics sucks and that reasonable people should just abstain can just point to examples A, B, C, D and so on as reasons why.

The penalty for abstaining from politics is eventually you are governed by your inferiors.

-Pluto

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2020, 04:13:29 PM »

The penalty for abstaining from politics is eventually you are governed by your inferiors.

-Pluto
Just because you ignore politics does not mean politics will ignore you.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2020, 06:02:54 PM »

-Pluto

In a democracy people get the government they deserve
 - Joseph de Maistre

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
Senate Majority Leader McConnell and Judiciary Committee Chairman Graham announced that the Senate  will change its rules so in the coming days the Senate's business of trying Trump's impeachment (or not) promises a most historic intrigue.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:55 AM »

You’re right. Politics and the busybodies who practice it will chase you down and “help” you regardless of what you do. I can’t help that. If all of those posting here dedicated our every waking hour and our last dollar to politics, it wouldn’t move the needle.

But what I can do, what we can all do, is choose how we spend our personal time. We can spend it on things that improve our lives, or things like politics which don’t.
It's not always about making things better, it's about trying to ensure that they don't get worse.  It's not always about voting for the candidate you think is good, it can be about voting for the one which is the least worst.  And if you don't think politics can make things worse for you and yours rather than better then you have less understanding and more privilege than is good for the rest of us.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »
I was on vacation for a little while, and don't have time to read the last two pages of posts or so, but I've noticed now that the squabble is over procedures in the Senate.

Apparently, Senate Democrats, the minority, want to subpoena their own witnesses and issue subpoenas for more documents.  The Republicans seem to be refusing. 

I will reiterate my very first post in this thread:

The one thing that tips me towards opposing impeachment is the process failures of Democrats.  As a lawyer, and as someone who spends about 20-25% of my practice on public defender's work, I'm absolutely appalled by Democrats' complete failure to recognize constitutional rights.

The Confrontation Clause provides the accused with the right to confront his or her witnesses and have them testify.  The whistleblower should have been forced to testify.  There is no statute preventing that, and anyone telling you otherwise is lying to you.

The rules adopted by the House were also a fucking joke that de-legitimized the entire process.  Only witnesses approved by the majority could be called to testify? That leads to a partisan bullshit impeachment, which is what this turned into. Process matters, and Democrats approved every possible procedural device to their advantage.

The main objections on here were something like, "Hey, impeachment is not a trial, it's a political process, so the rules of procedure/evidence don't apply."  Well guess what?  If that's your position for the House, it also has to be your position for the Senate.  The Senate is also not a "trial" governed by the rules of evidence or procedure, so now the majority gets to do whatever the hell they want (just like the Democrats did in the House).

You do not get to have it both ways.  The House Democrats conducted an extremely partisan process.  The Senate Republicans are now doing the exact same.  Are you surprised?

For what it's worth, I wish the entire thing was governed in more alignment with the rules of evidence/procedure/constitution.  The House's impeachment inquiry should have allowed Republicans to call their own witnesses, cross examine the whistleblower, and subpoena documents.  The Senate Democrats should be able to do the same in the trial.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2020, 07:41:34 AM »
I was on vacation for a little while, and don't have time to read the last two pages of posts or so, but I've noticed now that the squabble is over procedures in the Senate.

Apparently, Senate Democrats, the minority, want to subpoena their own witnesses and issue subpoenas for more documents.  The Republicans seem to be refusing. 

The one thing that tips me towards opposing impeachment is the process failures of Democrats.  As a lawyer, and as someone who spends about 20-25% of my practice on public defender's work, I'm absolutely appalled by Democrats' complete failure to recognize constitutional rights.

The Confrontation Clause provides the accused with the right to confront his or her witnesses and have them testify.  The whistleblower should have been forced to testify.  There is no statute preventing that, and anyone telling you otherwise is lying to you.

The rules adopted by the House were also a fucking joke that de-legitimized the entire process.  Only witnesses approved by the majority could be called to testify? That leads to a partisan bullshit impeachment, which is what this turned into. Process matters, and Democrats approved every possible procedural device to their advantage.

The main objections on here were something like, "Hey, impeachment is not a trial, it's a political process, so the rules of procedure/evidence don't apply."  Well guess what?  If that's your position for the House, it also has to be your position for the Senate.  The Senate is also not a "trial" governed by the rules of evidence or procedure, so now the majority gets to do whatever the hell they want (just like the Democrats did in the House).

You do not get to have it both ways.  The House Democrats conducted an extremely partisan process.  The Senate Republicans are now doing the exact same.  Are you surprised?

For what it's worth, I wish the entire thing was governed in more alignment with the rules of evidence/procedure/constitution.  The House's impeachment inquiry should have allowed Republicans to call their own witnesses, cross examine the whistleblower, and subpoena documents.  The Senate Democrats should be able to do the same in the trial.
As I understand it, none of the requested Republican "witnesses" had any first hand knowledge of the facts on which Trump was being investigated, and were put forward merely to create a circus atmosphere and muddy the proceedings.  Any judge in any court would refuse to allow such irrelevant and disruptive "witnesses" to be called.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:27:09 AM by former player »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »
cross examine the whistleblower

I'm interested in the reasoning for this.  Given that everything the whistleblower said about Trump has now been corroborated by documents and testimony, and no new information related to the case can be gleaned from doing this . . . what is the purpose of cross examining the whistleblower in impeachment proceedings?  It would seem that the main reason to do this would be attempt to nationally smear the name of the whistle-blower in punitive retaliation.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »

I'm interested in the reasoning for this.  Given that everything the whistleblower said about Trump has now been corroborated by documents and testimony, and no new information related to the case can be gleaned from doing this . . . what is the purpose of cross examining the whistleblower in impeachment proceedings?  It would seem that the main reason to do this would be attempt to nationally smear the name of the whistle-blower in punitive retaliation.
Not to mention that it would highly endager his wellbeing if not life.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »

Is your position for grand jury proceedings the exact same as your position for a criminal trial?

The House and Senate processes are different, otherwise there would be no point in having them.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2020, 08:47:59 AM »

Something small....fishy, and of a certain color.  Pink..octop..ah! Red herring! That's the one.