Author Topic: how to make Mexico pay for the wall.  (Read 15289 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: how to make Mexico pay for the wall.
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »

"the Canadian national sport is to criticize USA but they're sure glad we're between them and Mexico and the only other border they have is with... ocean." -posted by Acroy.

Seems rather insulting to ALL Mexicans.

He was quoting a Canadian visiting his office, not disparaging Mexico.

However, I'm not sure it's personally insulting to Mexicans to say that a country would prefer a border with the US to a border with Mexico.  There are many non-racial reasons that could be true.  For example, the US has an objectively higher GDP, so more money would come from sharing a border with the US than Mexico.  More to the point of the remark, illegal border crossings from Mexico to the USA are objectively much higher than from the USA to Canada.

Except that it was completely irrelevant to the conversation. A "Canadian national sport" also implies it isn't confined to some guy visiting an office. Yeah I am sure it has to do with GDP, and NOT with Mexicans themselves and the way Americans portray them. If I were a Mexican I absolutely would find it insulting. Kind of like telling folks in the state right next to mine I wish they didn't border my state.

Speaking of completely irrelevant, this conversation is about lunasol saying "I am deeply hurt by all of the sarcastic posts on this thread. "  I asked for a specific post, and I still don't know of any posts here that have been "deeply hurtful".  Even if all of Canada is filled with racist assholes (I don't believe that), pointing that out is not a hurtful or sarcastic thing to do.

How YOU feel is completely irrelevant. So I do agree with part of your post ( : Perhaps you should ask Lunasol.

Are you serious?  That's exactly what I did, and YOU responded.  But I politely didn't tell you that how YOU feel is completely irrelevant.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2016, 06:39:28 AM »
the most expensive, longest wall in History.

The Great Wall of China would still be longer. The entire US-Mexico border is only 1,989 miles long, but the Great Wall is "3,889 mi sections of actual wall" plus thousands more miles of trenches and natural barriers.

Anyone going to point out that the Great Wall of China utterly failed to prevent invaders from getting into China and then draw some parallels?

It's a common misconception that the Great Wall of China was built primarily to keep out invaders. Rather, it was originally created to slow the exit raiding parties who would be less mobile on their way out since they would have the goods they raided with them.

So just to confirm:

The Great Wall of China did nothing to keep people out of the country (actually made it harder for invaders to leave) . . . but the Great Wall of America will totally keep people out of the country?  :P

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
So just to confirm:

The Great Wall of China did nothing to keep people out of the country (actually made it harder for invaders to leave) . . . but the Great Wall of America will totally keep people out of the country?  :P