Author Topic: How can I feel happy about investing in the S&P500?  (Read 407 times)

Comar

• Stubble
How can I feel happy about investing in the S&P500?
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:18:53 PM »
When corporate greed is pulling strings like these: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Let's just say all morals aside isn't it bad for business to be pulling shit like this if names and company ties get exposed? Just assuming I'm Darth Vader and I want my profits should I be worried?

MDM

• Walrus Stache
Re: How can I feel happy about investing in the S&P500?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:22:27 PM »
...isn't it bad for business to be pulling shit like this if names and company ties get exposed?
According to the article,
“The resolution as originally drafted placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition to their children,” an H.H.S. spokesman said in an email. “We recognize not all women are able to breast-feed for a variety of reasons. These women should have the choice and access to alternatives for the health of their babies, and not be stigmatized for the ways in which they are able to do so.” The spokesman asked to remain anonymous in order to speak more freely.

Although lobbyists from the baby food industry attended the meetings in Geneva, health advocates said they saw no direct evidence that they played a role in Washington’s strong-arm tactics. The $70 billion industry, which is dominated by a handful of American and European companies, has seen sales flatten in wealthy countries in recent years, as more women embrace breast-feeding. Over all, global sales are expected to rise by 4 percent in 2018, according to Euromonitor, with most of that growth occurring in developing nations.

MasterStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 06:53:20 AM »
When corporate greed is pulling strings like these: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

Let's just say all morals aside isn't it bad for business to be pulling shit like this if names and company ties get exposed? Just assuming I'm Darth Vader and I want my profits should I be worried?

Current administrators siding with corporate interest and using strong arm threatening tactics to force their will. Sounds like business as usual.

Dabnasty

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
I've looked through a number of articles on this issue and haven't been able to come up with more information on the actual wording of the resolution, but everything points to limiting the ability of formula manufacturers to promote their product, particularly where it is promoted as superior to breastfeeding.

When the HHS spokesperson said the resolution "placed unnecessary hurdles for mothers seeking to provide nutrition to their children" it looks like that was a bit of a stretch. There is no indication that mothers who could not breastfeed would be restricted from buying formula. It's possible that less retailers would carry formula and prices would rise if it became less popular, but that's the free market at work. So unless the WHO, a number of physicians who have come out against the US tactic, and every news outlet reporting on this story is being dishonest about what was actually in the resolution, the US was bullying Ecuador in support of formula manufacturers.

Even if there was a legitimate reason to oppose the resolution, this whole ordeal makes the US look bad every step of the way. Bullying a smaller country to change their laws, that doesn't look good on the world stage. Backing down when Russia steps in, that just makes it embarrassing.

FIRE@50

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »
Really? This is where you draw the line for investing in the S&P 500? You were fine with the weapons manufacturers? The tobacco companies? The industrial companies polluting your air and water? etc?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
Even if there was a legitimate reason to oppose the resolution, this whole ordeal makes the US look bad every step of the way. Bullying a smaller country to change their laws, that doesn't look good on the world stage. Backing down when Russia steps in, that just makes it embarrassing.

What I found fascinating is that it's kinda like the whole Trump presidency in miniature:

- Try to hurt people for little/no discernible gain?  Check.
- Be a bullying asshole?  Check.
- Totally bend over backwards to make Russia happy?  Check.
- Accomplish nothing but damage to US reputation world wide?  Check.
My spirit animal is a tardigrade.

Johnez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »
Really? This is where you draw the line for investing in the S&P 500? You were fine with the weapons manufacturers? The tobacco companies? The industrial companies polluting your air and water? etc?

I'm guessing this is just an example. Posts like this on the ethics of investing occasionally pop up. Everyone has their "issue" that gives em pause, this one seems particularly egregious, especially concerning the problems formula presents in poorer countries (dangerous lack of clean water, expensive).