Author Topic: How'd You Meet Your SO?  (Read 4254 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
How'd You Meet Your SO?
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
It's a question that frequently generates nice stories. I was thinking of posting this on Valentine's Day but then I was busy. I've been reading around these parts since 2016 so I like to think I'm familiar with a lot of forumites, but I still don't know most of your SO stories.

Care to share? I'm procrastinating on grading.

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
Re: How'd You Meet Your SO?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:45 PM »
I love my story.

Way back in the early nineties, there was no FaceBook or Snapchats or what have you, what we had was a phonebook.

The campus-wide phone book had just come out and it was printed on paper and delivered to my dorm room.  Since my friends and I were bored, I decided some prank calls would be amusing.  We called my future husband up with the lamest of pretexts.  I asked if he was related to the president, because his last name was the same as a former president.  (So funny??  Don't ask me.)  We got to talking.  Later that day, he went through the whole phone book to find my roommates name (it was the same as his aunt's and he remembered it).  He cross referenced it to find me, he remembered I had an odd name, but didn't know what it was.

Then he called me back the next day.  We talked on the phone for a week or two before we met.  After that it was all over.

It's been 27 years since that fateful phone call.  We've been married for 23, still happy to get a phone call from him.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 06:18:17 AM »
So i was divorced and deep into my career and had no plans getting married again. I basically worked and worked out and occasionally went out and played a lot of sports with friends. Anyhow about 3 years of doing this I noticed a Girl at the YMCA that I worked out at and she was taller and I never was attracted to tall girls though I am 6'3. She is 6'0 maybe 5'11 now . Anyhow we would exchange a look here and there and my friends and I would talk about her and gave her the nickname stretch. A year later FINALLY i got up the courage to ask her out but was still such a chicken shit I wrote a note (this was so childish for a 31 year old) and gave to my friend to pass on to her. It simply said my Name and asked if you would like to go out please give me your name and phone number and put in my motorcycle outside the door (described it). Well about an hour later no kidding my friend came back downstairs and he said he coudnt do it so he gave it to another guy to pass on to her. Well this was becoming the longest workout of my life but she must of knew something up because she hadn't left either. Well eventually this other guy gave her the note came downstairs to the free weight gym and after embarrassing me and the whole guy thing said she left. So i showered and left and sure enough the info was in my motorcycle and to call her at 4pm. Like a little kid I was sitting on the couch and at exactly 4pm called and asked her if she wanted to go out. Then I asked her if she mined going on a motorcycle and she said no so I picked her up call it 7pm. I had on Blue Jeans, a Jean Shirt, Black vest and black boots. When I picked her up she had on the same exact outfit obviously female version! lol. But i knew this was it. We went out and the rest is History BUT the funny thing is as we were pretty much inseparable from the night going forward and she had never been married before she you could say slowly moved her stuff one item at a time in. About 3-4 weeks later she got a card from her sister and let it laying on my kitchen table. I saw it and it said in side Hows Crush doing. Well as it turned out we both had a crush on each other for a year . The rest is History. 4 kids and 21 years later 23 in all were still going.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:06:25 AM by soccerluvof4 »

yodella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 06:52:57 AM »
I reconnected with one of my best friends from high school in our early 20s. He had found some people online who were interested in starting a hackerspace, and they met weekly for several months at a coffee shop and raised money and made plans. I went to their opening night party (where the mayor "cut the ribbon" which was actually a chain with a blowtorch) and liked the space, so I started attending some events.

Eventually they offered me a basically free membership, because they were trying to attract more women members but knew it would help to have some actual women around first.

I don't remember the moment or day I met my husband, only that he was around the space a lot working on electronics, and I thought he was cute and admired his focus. One day I sidled up to the electronics bench and asked flirtatiously what he was working on. He assumed this meant I had a deep interest in electronics, and went on to explain many details of his project that I didn't understand whatsoever.

Time went by, we hung out at the space more but always with other people around, often until the wee hours. I invited him (and a couple others, but mainly him) to a Halloween party a friend was throwing. No response. I repeated my invite multiple times over a couple weeks, casually inserting it into conversations. No response.

Finally, the day before the party, I stalked him online, found his facebook, and sent him a facebook message with my number, saying basically "in case you change your mind..." No response.

The night of the party I got a call while I was getting dressed. It was him, and he said "I'm ready to go now." I picked him up, we went to the party. Two months later we moved in together. Three years later we got married.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
I was divorced and casually dating a crazy person (he looked good on paper, but was a disaster in reality). I kept trying to break up with him, but kept getting drawn back into his drama. At the same time, I was in a league with my now SO. We were friendly and a bit flirty, but nothing much was happening on that front because he was smart enough not to ask me out while I was dealing with the fruitcake.

Eventually I dumped crazy guy and amped up the flirting with SO. SO got the hint after a few months and we started going out. Of course, that flipped out fruitcake and made the new relationship a bit nuts for awhile. But we are going strong 16 years later. : )

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
Also available here:    https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/personals/how-did-you-meet-your-so/

It's an old thread - it's nice to see some new stories again.   : )
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:41:13 AM by Shinplaster »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:48 PM »
My wife came into where I was working and asked for an application. I took it to my boss and told him that if he did not hire her I would quit.

He thought it was cute and hired her.

That was 25 years ago :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 04:39:01 PM »
We met on Craigslist back when the personal section still existed. I did a post looking for someone to go to a specific event with. I was buried alive in replies and his was the most literate by far (he was in university studying creative writing). We basically hit it off right away - I liked that he was interesting (I find most guys boring as shit, sorry), and he liked that I was entertaining and had my shit together in life (job, apartment, money, independence - most of his fellow university students did not have these things). A week later were Facebook-official. In a few months we'll be travelling to Japan to celebrate our ten year anniversary.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
Also available here:    https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/personals/how-did-you-meet-your-so/

Is it just me who finds it a bit dodgy that the previous thread on 'how did you meet your SO' was in the 'Mustachian and Single' section?  Hmmm.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »
At work

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 02:29:55 PM »

Is it just me who finds it a bit dodgy that the previous thread on 'how did you meet your SO' was in the 'Mustachian and Single' section?  Hmmm.

One click later and I see the person who started the thread was single and trying to decide if it was worth the effort of doing online dating... so they were asking how people met their SO.

Not dodgy at all.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »

That area is often the de facto area to discuss relationship stuff in general, for both single and coupled people.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »

That area is often the de facto area to discuss relationship stuff in general, for both single and coupled people.
Wow, good to know - I don't think I've ever clicked in that section once for that very assumption.

@soccerluvof4 Great story!

Mine is fairly bland and am 100% okay with that.  Grew up in medium-sized suburb that had two middle schools.  I went to one and future wife went to other.  After 8th grade she moved a couple towns over, unbeknownst to me.  In the meantime for 9th-12th grade I naturally intermingle and get to know all the people she had known as there is just the one high school.  Long story short, we meet during college years, start hanging out, start dating, and it was the easiest person to date since she already knew all of my friends and was still acquaintances with many.  It was self-reinforcing for both my existing friendships and my relationship with my future wife as they were sort of checks on each other while transitioning from secondary school to adulthood (i.e. low/medium intimacy with many friends in school to high intimacy with fewer people as adults for various social, geographical reasons).  e.g. For many friends to say something along the lines of  "Oh, you're dating her?!  Always loved her, infectious laugh, good for you guys!" is nice to hear, agrees with what you're thinking all along - and then for her to already enjoy many of my friends (not simply tolerate or just know who they are) means that our "filters" were similar.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 06:01:07 PM »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »

That was the piece of the puzzle I was missing.  I was wondering what all those people with SOs were doing reading the 'single!s' section.

I moved into a room in a shared flat in London, having only met / been interviewed by one of the two others who lived there.  She was away when I moved in and so it was the second girl who let me in when I arrived, then invited me to come out with her friends as it was her birthday.  28 years and 2 kids later I still tell everyone that it was the fact that her room was twice the size of mine that was the main attraction...

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 04:44:54 AM »
My wife and I met at a hotel...

Ok, she was working at the front desk of the hotel on campus (we were both students).  I started working as a page (bellhop but without the cool fez).  I asked her out the day she broke up with her previous boyfriend.

That was our senior year.  We were engaged 6 months later and married a year after that.  28 years of marriage so far.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »
We were both working on offshore fish boats as observers, which meant long weeks and months at sea mixed with occasional and random interactions with colleagues at various ports on the BC Coast (usually when it was stormy).

We met a few times over the course of a year and I remember thinking she was cute, but nothing happened.  Our company provided a house in each of the ports for us all to stay in when we came off the boats, and they would often mean a bit of a party - think of large groups of 20 somethings who have been at sea for a weeks or months all showing up in a small town at the same time (when the weather got rough).

One time I was relaxing in the company house late in the evening.  I think I was waiting for a call for work.  I had eaten an awful burrito from a convenience store (ugh) which was really salty and thinking I'd like a drink but being lazy about it.  In walked my future wife, fresh off a multi-week trip at sea, and I impulsively invited her to go out for a beer with me.

We enjoyed each others' company enough that we sought each other out whenever we were in port, and the random chance of fate meant we ended up hanging out in towns all over the West Coast of BC.  Eventually we got more serious, and both chose to quit the job around the same time and move to the city.

22 years later, kids and everything else, still going strong as far as I can tell.

*Postscript - the burrito caused me to go out for a beer with my future wife.  It also gave me horrible food poisoning, and I spent much of the next couple of days in agony and barfing my guts out.  Worth it in the long run, but definitely a mixed blessing, that burrito.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »
School.

I asked him out to our HS graduation party because I did not want to go alone and he looked handsome and I thought we would have fun.     Didn't date seriously for almost another year after that, 1st year university, after we had been carpooling for a while and got stuck in a snowstorm on the way home.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:22:56 PM by Goldielocks »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »
I stalked her at university until she agreed to date me.  Not necessarily recommending that route for everyone, but it's surprisingly effective.  :P

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »
Omegle.com in 2009.  Random anonymous one-on-one chat.  It's the millennial way.

We became friends, eventually best friends, and despite living almost 2000 miles apart, finally met in person around 2011 with romantic sparks flying, and then she moved across the country in 2012 when we bought our first house together at ages 19 and 20.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »
I adopted her from the ASPCA

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
I was taking a 3-4 week night course for my career about 8.5 years ago. I sat next to this gentleman around 15 years older than me and we became friends. It turned out he worked on the same street I was living on, on the other end of the United States, a few years prior. Crazy coincidence.

After the course was over, we didn’t talk much the next year until I was looking to hire someone on at work with that certification. I called him up, he interviewed, he hired on with our company.

A few months later, he started dating this woman. He was showing me pictures of her and her family at work one day on Facebook. I told him, “how olds her oldest daughter? She looks pretty hot.” He said she was 18 (I was 23) and that he’d set me up. She lived about 4 hours away in another state at the time. We started talking on facebook and she eventually came to visit. A couple weeks later she moved near me and things have been fantastic since.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 07:59:41 AM »
Towards the end of the day at work, a coworker asked me if I wanted to go with him to pick up his wife after work. I had nothing better to do except go back to the barracks, drink, and play video games (two of which sound great right now), so I decided to go. His wife was at a friend's house, a little over an hour away.

We get there, and his wife, wife's friend, and another friend I've never met come out. Everyone chats for a few minutes, then we all get ready to leave. The girls hug everyone, and the girl I've never met before tries to hug me. I tell her that I'm not really a hugging person, to which she replied with, "I don't care. I'm hugging you anyway."

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 05:13:36 AM »
I was burned out at my high pay, high stress job back in the US, but found a new job in the same city and negotiated 3 weeks off to go traveling between jobs.  I planned a solo trip to Italy and Ireland (to visit a friend there) - thinking that would be nice and relaxing.  I met my now husband on day one of the trip to Italy.  He works in the tourist trade.  At first, I was just assumed that he was a sleazy guy who preyed on the single female tourists he met as part of his job.  I then found out that he was 100% genuine and non-sleazy and felt really bad about being so cynical when we first met.  I ended up moving here and two kids and 11 years of marriage later, here we are.  Life is not perfect but we are very happy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
Was working out of state and out of the country and every time I came home, my sibling would have this friend around for a visit. Note this happened several times over the course of several years. Except I had been trained by said sibling to mind my own business. Don't embarrass the sibling, ya know?

Well sibling married. At the wedding was this friend. We talked a little, then more later. I tried to go the route of little interactions. Cup of coffee, ride home, etc with mixed results. What I didn't know was she was still dating someone but it was winding down. Once it fizzled out, she accepted my invitation. We still keep up with the old boyfriend who settled down, married and has also been happily married with kids as long as us. He's a good guy. 

DW finally accepted a hiking date. I was smitten with DW immediately. She was girly but adventurous. Then another date camping in 25F weather which she maintained a good attitude about. Then we met up at the home of a mutual friend for a weekend away. It just kept getting better. Never plateaued like my other relationships. She was smart and creative. Knows all sorts of things. Very different than every other girl I had ever dated. The real deal. She really defined how mediocre some of my other girlfriends had been along the way.

A bit more than a year later we married. Its been over twenty happy years now. We've both grown. We talk alot. We are still alot alike though I like to point out she is the brains of our daring duo. She's been a wonderful wife and I couldn't ask for a better mother to our children. I highly recommend finding a wife and friend like her. I've been so lucky to have her.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2019, 03:45:10 PM »
Met online. I was getting divorced.  Literally had just filed the paperwork and was thinking I needed to not wallow, but get out there and meet people and learn the dating ropes again.  So I joined OKCupid and went on about 15+ dates in just a couple of weeks.  The thing is, I very purposely marked "short-term dating" as my goal (you could mark Long-term Relationship, Marriage and I think maybe also Casual Sex) under the silly impression that anyone actually reads what people write on those sites.  My now-husband strangely persisted in wanting to keep dating even though I also moved hundreds of miles away for a summer law clerk position, and I decided to go with the flow even though I hated the idea of being in a rebound relationship while trying to wrap up my divorce.  Like it was some sort of mark that would haunt us forever.  Now it's just a funny story.

Today is the 6th anniversary of our very first in-person date, and we got married almost two weeks ago.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »
I first saw my wife on the front page of a newspaper when I was in my last year of high school.  My chemistry teacher brought the paper in with her picture, and a story about how a local high school was one of the first places in the world to make a high temperature superconductor.  He was both excited, and dismayed that our selective and prestigious school didn't even think to do this.

Fast forward about 12 months and first day of Uni, I am sitting in my first lecture with a couple of other guys from high school, and this beautiful young woman walks into the front door of the lecture theatre, wide eyed.  She later said she was taken aback to walk into a room of 300 guys, as she was one of only about 20 women in engineering that year.  I was hooked.

We were placed near each other in drafting class, even thought it was meant to be organised by surnames and mine was in the middle of the alphabet and hers was way down the end.  She should have been two rooms away, but she wasn't.  We got talking, and talking, and talking.  Neither of us was ever very good at drafting.

We hung out in a group for a while until she made a really unsubtle "let's share phone numbers" and handed me her number.  I called that night, we went for a drive the next day.  We first kissed about a week later. 

We got married 5 years from the day we first kissed.  It's now been 25 years of marriage, 3 kids, and a wonderful life together.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
I first saw my wife on the front page of a newspaper when I was in my last year of high school.  My chemistry teacher brought the paper in with her picture, and a story about how a local high school was one of the first places in the world to make a high temperature superconductor.  He was both excited, and dismayed that our selective and prestigious school didn't even think to do this.

Fast forward about 12 months and first day of Uni, I am sitting in my first lecture with a couple of other guys from high school, and this beautiful young woman walks into the front door of the lecture theatre, wide eyed.  She later said she was taken aback to walk into a room of 300 guys, as she was one of only about 20 women in engineering that year.  I was hooked.

We were placed near each other in drafting class, even thought it was meant to be organised by surnames and mine was in the middle of the alphabet and hers was way down the end.  She should have been two rooms away, but she wasn't.  We got talking, and talking, and talking.  Neither of us was ever very good at drafting.

We hung out in a group for a while until she made a really unsubtle "let's share phone numbers" and handed me her number.  I called that night, we went for a drive the next day.  We first kissed about a week later. 

We got married 5 years from the day we first kissed.  It's now been 25 years of marriage, 3 kids, and a wonderful life together.
What a wonderful story! Congrats on landing a lady in engineering. ;)
Apparently my now-husband and his friend in undergrad used to commiserate about how hard it was to meet ladies when studying engineering due to the skewed ratios. That gives me a bit of a grin to think about now that he is married with two little girls at home, all three of his ladies who think he is the greatest. He is quite the ladies’ man now!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »

What a wonderful story! Congrats on landing a lady in engineering. ;)
Apparently my now-husband and his friend in undergrad used to commiserate about how hard it was to meet ladies when studying engineering due to the skewed ratios. That gives me a bit of a grin to think about now that he is married with two little girls at home, all three of his ladies who think he is the greatest. He is quite the ladies’ man now!

Thanks.  I always think that I was outrageously lucky.  Funny thing is, my wife thinks she is punching about her weight too.  Our kids think we are cute because of this, but their lack of finding partners are Uni has scarred them a little.  Their expectations were that their lives would work out the same.