Author Topic: Hiking the Camino - 2019  (Read 1531 times)

LateStarter27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hiking the Camino - 2019
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions or comments about hiking the Camino de Santiago?  I would like to go next spring.  I don't think I want to go the French route as it seems so crowded.  I am thinking of either the Northern route or the Primitivo, but they both seem a bit daunting for a solo female traveller over 50.  The Portuguese route looks enticing, but I have already seen some of that part of Portugal, and was thinking I should try something a bit more challenging.  I would love to hear of anyone's experiences on the Camino!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Hiking the Camino - 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
I believe @arebelspy hiked it with his spouse.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
Spring will be less crowded than summer, and you can avoid crowds by 1) Leaving earlier (or, theoretically later) in the day than they do, and 2) Stay at "off" cities. Everyone follows the Brierley guidebook, if you get a half a day ahead or behind that, you end up in much less crowded towns, and the walk between them with much less people.

If you leave at the time of day everyone else does, from the towns everyone is staying in, it will be crowded.

If you don't do those two things, you'll hardly see anyone, in our experience (September 2015).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »
You could check out the LifePart2 blog - they blogged about the whole trip.  It's a great read with lots of suggestions.

https://lifepart2.com/category/travel/spain/

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
There are lots of websites with suggestions for packing and gear and such, but here is a FANTASTIC PACKING LIST (yes! recommended in all caps!) from someone who has hiked it twice:

https://jenniferhofmann.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Packing-choose-your-own-adventure.pdf

It's super flexible and helps you kind of shape the sort of trip you're going to have. No referral links or any sales stuff, just a solid helpful list where you see what's needed and her suggestions for quantities.

LateStarter27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am pretty sure now that I will choose the Portuguese coastal camino, as I will only have about 15 days. 

And the FANTASTIC PACKING LIST is awesome!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 06:56:57 PM »
2019 is probably the year I hike the Camino as well. I was assuming I would do the Camino Frances, as it is my first time.

I am planning on late spring/early summer. I'd like to time it to catch the Celtic music festival La Ortigueira which is usually in July, after hiking the Camino. So that's probably late May/June to hike. Is this a crazy time?

LateStarter27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »
Hi Daisy,

Are you planning to do the whole Camino? I am tending towards doing the last leg of the Portuguese coastal route now, as I now have a friend who wants to join me and this route seems a bit more mellow.

Although people complain about the crowds on the Camino Frances, that is also its appeal - being part of a collective pilgrimage.  I still want to do the whole Frances at some point in the future, but that will have to wait until I am retired!  :) 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »
Hi Daisy,

Are you planning to do the whole Camino? I am tending towards doing the last leg of the Portuguese coastal route now, as I now have a friend who wants to join me and this route seems a bit more mellow.

Although people complain about the crowds on the Camino Frances, that is also its appeal - being part of a collective pilgrimage.  I still want to do the whole Frances at some point in the future, but that will have to wait until I am retired!  :)

Yes I plan to do the whole thing! The little research I've done leads me to think it could take about 30 days. I am retired as of last year so it's not a problem!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »
I've had my eye on this trip  for a couple years.  Need to get myself in shape first. 

I'm scared of the bedbugs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!