Author Topic: Hey, Trump Voters  (Read 117131 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Hey, Trump Voters
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2016, 06:57:08 PM »
Agreed.

I'm still waiting for someone to show up and suggest that Republicans were somehow defending the Constitution by refusing to perform their constitutionally mandated duty to review Presidential appointments to the Supreme Court.  Even Lyin' Ted Cruz, constitutional strict constructionist fan-boy, supported dereliction of constitutional duty on this point.

I suggest a motion to refuse any Congressperson who publicy opposes their specific constitutional duty to not be allowed to run for another term.   You'd think voters would enforce that one without it being a law, but, alas, Republicans cheered this particular instance.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »
Obama appointed two supreme court justices - The same as each of his two predecessors. How many would have made people happy?

As many as there were opening during his term?

At this point, I think democrats could reasonably argue that they could withhold all supreme court appointments for the next four years, using the same logic the republicans used last year.

The democrats don't hold enough Senate seats to block it.   

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »
I circulated a petition to recall both my Senators.  My mom signed it.  Two signatures is not enough apparently.

I really wanted to see a West Wing style two appointment deal where both sides pick their champion and we each get one that ordinarily we wouldn't ever have a shot at, an old liberal gets to retire with the seat saved and conservatives get to keep their interests covered.  There was no leadership though, both sides trying to win at any cost.

It was staggering to see the Republican leadership announce they wouldn't confirm any nominee, regardless.  Fucking irresponsible.  I was sort of hoping BHO would pick the most right-wing batshit crazy federal judge he could and nominate him, just to watch the Senate leadership trip over themselves to try and confirm, then pull the nomination before the vote.

Oh well, opportunity lost.  We'll see if there's some sort of Senate rule that lets the Democrats stop a confirmation of whatever segregationist, misogynist, literalist, anti-immigration, anti-abortion racist the far right scrapes up to fill the spot.  If not it's going to be a gamble that paid off I suppose.  I think midterms are going to be rough for the Republicans this time around.

Federal judge vacancies should be a major issue in future campaigns.  It isn't just SCOTUS, there's widespread dereliction of duty across the board, from both sides, for the last 16 years.  Maybe in 2020 the Democrats will talk about that instead of the size of the hands of the Republican nominee.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
Maybe in 2020 the Democrats will talk about that instead of the size of the hands of the Republican nominee.

Technically that was Republican Marco Rubio who brought that one up, during the primaries. 

The GOP primary was brutal.  By comparison, I though Clinton treated Trump with the utmost of respect.  Certainly more than he showed her.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
I'm just not sure how shit like this falls into "small government".

'He did, however, say that using strong encryption for personal communication “may itself be a red flag,” suggesting that good security practices could invite government scrutiny under his watch.' Ladies and gentlemen, your "small government" CIA director.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2016, 05:08:34 AM »
Obama appointed two supreme court justices - The same as each of his two predecessors. How many would have made people happy?

At this point, I think democrats could reasonably argue that they could withhold all supreme court appointments for the next four years, using the same logic the republicans used last year.

It is possible that they will argue this.  I would hardly call that a reasonable argument.

The democrats don't hold enough Senate seats to block it.   

I believe they could filibuster the appointment vote, though. It has happened once in history, so if they are going to throw a fit and refuse to nominate, no doubt they'll point to another instance of political dysfunction as 'precedence'.

Agreed.

I suggest a motion to refuse any Congressperson who publicy opposes their specific constitutional duty to not be allowed to run for another term.   You'd think voters would enforce that one without it being a law, but, alas, Republicans cheered this particular instance.

I don't know that this is the right action, but I do understand the sentiment. I feel that it would unequally affect the negotiating power of the minority party, in this case the democratic party who's been getting their asses handed to them in an electoral sense for a few years anyway. I'm not sure removing options from the minority party is the best way to ensure compromises are considered by the majority party. I would find the irony in democrats opposing their specific duty to consider appointments, and I wouldn't mind seeing the members of congress who can't at least work within the expectations of their position getting the boot though.

Perhaps instead of removing the Congressperson, the leader of the party (within the house/senate) would get canned? This would encourage party leadership to work to find solutions, instead of allowing a hardliner leader to stalemate the government.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:40:21 AM by Metric Mouse »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2016, 05:43:03 AM »
Maybe in 2020 the Democrats will talk about that instead of the size of the hands of the Republican nominee.

Technically that was Republican Marco Rubio who brought that one up, during the primaries. 

The GOP primary was brutal.  By comparison, I though Clinton treated Trump with the utmost of respect.  Certainly more than he showed her.

Had she shown more voters more respect, she may have even won!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2016, 05:47:41 AM »
Quote from: golden1 on November 23, 2016, 08:56:35 AM

Based on the information sources you use to make judgements about things as based on your criticisms of HRC, I don't believe you.  You will rationalize whatever you need to in order to avoid picking up that gun.  You will transform the world into what you want it to be rather than fight for the rights of others you refuse to empathize with.

OK, so this is an important thing for you to recognize about yourself.  There are legitimate criticisms of HRC.  You get that right?  As there will be with any candidate.  Dismissing those concerns offhandedly because you don't like their source, despite the fact that my source is the associated press, it's CNN, it's VOX.  Instead of defending the candidate, good with the bad, Democrats went with, and the irony here is just staggering, "we have the best candidate, the very best, great qualifications, super qualified.  So much legislation she's passed, just the best.  Also foreign experience, she knows lots of leaders, lots of people.  Those bad things people are saying, you know, sometimes people just say bad things about you, and that's OK, that's OK folks."

The Democratic primary was the only place where actual policy got discussed.  The Democrats decided in the general they didn't need to talk about actual policy beyond vague counters to Trump's campaign "they don't have a plan, we have a plan."  Well, where's the details?  Who is paying for it?  What constitutional authority gives the government the right to do any of this?  It was more important to BEAT the other side than it was to win, and so both sides looked terrible.

I don't like HRC so I'm not worth listening to?  I just don't understand this.  Before this election, I had some great conversations on this board where I learned a ton about all sorts of different issues

You are putting words in my mouth based on your own obvious biases.   I never said Clinton wasn't flawed.  Of course she was, but if you have the idea that somehow she didn't have specific policy plans means you really didn't do research at all, because she had extremely detailed policy plans readily available. 

Everyone has biases.  You obvious love of libertarian style government is yours.  If libertarianism is so great, where are all the successful libertarian countries you can point to as examples?  Libertarianism is a noble ideal that tends to wilt when faced with reality. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »

Yeah. She should have run a campaign that was respectful of voters, like Trump did.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2016, 10:03:43 AM »

Yeah. She should have run a campaign that was respectful of voters, like Trump did.

I don't think anyone claimed Trump was more respectful, in general.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2016, 10:36:37 AM »
Now that Trump's sat down with the New York Times and pretty much backpedaled on everything (AS I CORRECTLY PREDICTED HE'D DO), I have to admit that I'm enjoying the left finally realizing that he's a huge bullshit artist who will do and say anything to get people to like him. 

I'm not concerned about Donald Trump.  I am IMMENSELY concerned about Mike Pence.  You know, the guy who will be actually running the country for the next four years.

Pretty sure most of the left knew he was a bullshit artist from day one. They first just didn't think he could win, and then feared not him, but the extremism he was stoking with his bullshit. As you say, actions like choosing Pence are the real problem.  Trump saying climate change was a Chinese hoax is somewhat irrelevant, but posting someone who actually believes that (more or less) in charge of the EPA is terrifying. Same with pretty much all of his appointments thus far.

I honestly think Trump either disagrees with or doesn't care about most of the extreme positions he adopted, but that doesn't matter if he delegates all authority to true believers.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »

I don't think anyone claimed Trump was more respectful, in general.

My point was Hillary didn't lose because she disrespected certain voters. They already hated her anyway. That's not what cost her the election.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »
My point was Hillary didn't lose because she disrespected certain voters. They already hated her anyway. That's not what cost her the election.

The voters who voted for her opponent: you're probably right. There was little chance of swaying them.

The voters who didn't get out and vote period? Those are the ones she needed, and respect may have gotten some of them to turn out. It wouldn't have taken many of them to have a very different election result.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »

The voters who voted for her opponent: you're probably right. There was little chance of swaying them.

The voters who didn't get out and vote period? Those are the ones she needed, and respect may have gotten some of them to turn out. It wouldn't have taken many of them to have a very different election result.

I seriously doubt the word "deplorable" was the tipping point in a constant campaign of misinformation and innuendo against HRC that dates backs literal decades.

And before anyone starts chanting "emails, Benghazi, FBI" at me... Ugh. Whatever your pet peeve against her is, next to the horrifying incompetence of Trump, not to mention all of the unanswered and really sketchy shit surrounding him, I'm not even gonna go there.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »

I seriously doubt the word "deplorable" was the tipping point in a constant campaign of misinformation and innuendo against HRC that dates backs literal decades.

I'm sure your right. There is unlikely to be a single failure point that anyone could point to - her campaign no doubt contained a series of small missteps that ultimately cost her what appeared to be (at the beginning) one of the easiest wins in recent presidential history.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
easiest wins?  no way.  aside from the specifics of who was running, people wanted "change" so they voted the current party out.  add in the fact that trump is not a political elite and it just made it easier.  Add in that everyone's insurance premiums are going up, and bam, you have a winner.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »

And before anyone starts chanting "emails, Benghazi, FBI" at me... Ugh. Whatever your pet peeve against her is, next to the horrifying incompetence of Trump, not to mention all of the unanswered and really sketchy shit surrounding him, I'm not even gonna go there.

One thing has become clear in this election...the left continues to blame and insult everyone rather than take an honest look at their own failures. This was a protest vote...people were sick and tired and chose to give the arrogant and hypocritical left the finger.

Keep up the blame game, insults, and crybaby protests and you'll lose again in 4 years. Then, you can play the blame game for another 4 years. Take a good hard look at why you lost (hint...it has nothing to do with racism), and maybe the Democrats won't be reduced to complete irrelevance.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »

One thing has become clear in this election...the left continues to blame and insult everyone rather than take an honest look at their own failures. This was a protest vote...people were sick and tired and chose to give the arrogant and hypocritical left the finger.

Keep up the blame game, insults, and crybaby protests and you'll lose again in 4 years. Then, you can play the blame game for another 4 years. Take a good hard look at why you lost (hint...it has nothing to do with racism), and maybe the Democrats won't be reduced to complete irrelevance.

That's the same thing that the Republicans heard for the last eight years.  Stop being so white, racist, rich, and misogynistic or nobody will vote for you.  It turns out that totally ignoring what the voters complained about in every way wins you the presidency.

I predict the democratic president eight years from now will be a vegan, gluten intolerant minority gay atheist who is sworn in on a picture of an aborted fetus (printed on recycled cardboard with soy ink) rather than a bible.  The campaign will heavily feature promises to round up all the guns in America and reforms to make a communist state devoid of private ownership.  Anyone who complains will be lined up against Trumps wall to Mexico and forced to watch videos of factory farming practices until they choose to take their own lives.

And the stupid voters will eat that shit up after eight years of Trump.

:P

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2016, 03:02:30 PM »
This was a protest vote...people were sick and tired and chose to give the arrogant and hypocritical left the finger.

Except they didn't.  Over two million more people voted to support the left's agenda than to oppose it. 

So you can stop perpetuating this lie that the American people "gave the finger" to the left.  Most of us supported the left.  The extreme right won the election anyway, of course, but don't pretend they won because people actually voted for them in greater numbers.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2016, 04:35:35 PM »
This was a protest vote...people were sick and tired and chose to give the arrogant and hypocritical left the finger.

Except they didn't.  Over two million more people voted to support the left's agenda than to oppose it. 

So you can stop perpetuating this lie that the American people "gave the finger" to the left.  Most of us supported the left.  The extreme right won the election anyway, of course, but don't pretend they won because people actually voted for them in greater numbers.

It wasn't most...it was slightly more than half who voted.

Who is "pretending"?? Trump's goal was to win the electoral college because that is how the president is chosen. He did exactly that.

And you are proving my point...you are making excuses instead of accepting the fact that the Democrats willingly put forth an unelectable, corrupt candidate with a 3 decade history of lies and failure who was being investigated by the FBI. I could list another dozen of her flaws but everyone already knows what they are.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
It wasn't most...it was slightly more than half who voted.

If we're going to be perfectly technical about it, how about "more people voted to continue the left's agenda by supporting Hillary Clinton than voted to oppose the left's agenda by supporting Donald Trump."  Is that clear enough?

My point was merely that Donald Trump's election isn't a mandate or a movement, it's not a political statement as you claimed, and it certainly wasn't an expression of the public's dissatisfaction with Clinton's proposed policies.  Despite whatever flaws you think you see, more Americans supported her than supported Trump.

That's not an excuse for anything and it's certainly not a defense of Clinton.  Even if I believed the same lies about Clinton that you do, wouldn't that just make it all the more amazing that most of the country still supported her despite all of that?  Just imagine the turnout for a liberal candidate who didn't carry any of that baggage.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »
just over 62 million people voted for Trump and just over 64 million voted for Clinton. The population of the USA is about 319 million people. That puts the candidates at 19.4% and 20.1% of the country voting for them. Yeah, a lot of those people can't vote for various reasons, and American voters are pretty apathetic on the whole. So, neither was really rolling in on a massive mandate. I think that there were in fact a number of people who voted Trump as a fuck you to the establishment... and who should be pretty bummed about the way he is setting up his administration (billionaire advisors, rampant and gratuitous conflict of interest, people who actively deny science, people who are grossly inexperienced for diplomacy, etc)... if they even cared about the details and I'm not convinced that most Americans do regardless of political stripe. Clinton did have baggage, much of which is a result of 30 years of republican witch hunting. Most of the the things that they complained about with Clinton are much, much worse with Trump. Trump deleted emails while under court order, and was much more flagrant than what Clinton did. Trump's conflicts of interest make the Clinton Foundation seem squeaky clean.

But yes, there are structural things that the democrats did over 20 years that lost them the rust belt and that Trump exploited to win. The Democrats turned to a more affluent and educated core, which followed the changing demographics and economy of our country. Yes, they did turn away from the rust belt and took their union base for granted. But, I would say that in actuality Clinton showed them a much higher degree of respect than Trump did because she didn't say those jobs would come back, was straightforward that coal is dead, and offered at least something in the room on how to move forward. Trump said that it was all due to some gov action against them and that as long as they could get rid of those restrictions, all would be swell. That's absolute bullshit and I think it is highly disrespectful to play people that way. He played them for suckers. You know who killed manufacturing jobs? Automation. You know what killed coal? Market forces; it will never compete with natural gas or the steady decline in cost of renewables... and most of us are better off having moved away from coal. 

So yes, the Democrats shouldn't have taken their union base for granted. But Trump sure as hell didn't show them respect, and is actually likely to make things much worse for them for a generation. But at least he'll shoot for a massive tax break for the wealthiest Americans, so there's that. I'm sure those voters will really enjoy the trickle down scraps they get from that.

[end rant]

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
That's not an excuse for anything and it's certainly not a defense of Clinton.  Even if I believed the same lies about Clinton that you do, wouldn't that just make it all the more amazing that most of the country still supported her despite all of that?  Just imagine the turnout for a liberal candidate who didn't carry any of that baggage.

Sadly, we will have to imagine that there is a political party in the USA that will field actual progressive, reasonable, transparent, electable candidates. Because there isn't one in reality.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
Sadly, we will have to imagine that there is a political party in the USA that will field actual progressive, reasonable, transparent, electable candidates. Because there isn't one in reality.

I'm not worried.  It's not like there is a party that fields actual conservative, reasonable, transparent candidates and yet Trump was still electable.  Trump was an even bigger disaster of a candidate than Clinton was, but he still managed to find his way to the white house with an electoral college victory even against the will of the people.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2016, 05:17:54 AM »

I'm not worried.  It's not like there is a party that fields actual conservative, reasonable, transparent candidates and yet Trump was still electable.  Trump was an even bigger disaster of a candidate than Clinton was, but he still managed to find his way to the white house with an electoral college victory even against the will of the people.

I guess this is exactly why I worry....

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
just over 62 million people voted for Trump and just over 64 million voted for Clinton. The population of the USA is about 319 million people. That puts the candidates at 19.4% and 20.1% of the country voting for them. Yeah, a lot of those people can't vote for various reasons, and American voters are pretty apathetic on the whole. So, neither was really rolling in on a massive mandate. I think that there were in fact a number of people who voted Trump as a fuck you to the establishment... and who should be pretty bummed about the way he is setting up his administration (billionaire advisors, rampant and gratuitous conflict of interest, people who actively deny science, people who are grossly inexperienced for diplomacy, etc)... if they even cared about the details and I'm not convinced that most Americans do regardless of political stripe. Clinton did have baggage, much of which is a result of 30 years of republican witch hunting. Most of the the things that they complained about with Clinton are much, much worse with Trump. Trump deleted emails while under court order, and was much more flagrant than what Clinton did. Trump's conflicts of interest make the Clinton Foundation seem squeaky clean.

But yes, there are structural things that the democrats did over 20 years that lost them the rust belt and that Trump exploited to win. The Democrats turned to a more affluent and educated core, which followed the changing demographics and economy of our country. Yes, they did turn away from the rust belt and took their union base for granted. But, I would say that in actuality Clinton showed them a much higher degree of respect than Trump did because she didn't say those jobs would come back, was straightforward that coal is dead, and offered at least something in the room on how to move forward. Trump said that it was all due to some gov action against them and that as long as they could get rid of those restrictions, all would be swell. That's absolute bullshit and I think it is highly disrespectful to play people that way. He played them for suckers. You know who killed manufacturing jobs? Automation. You know what killed coal? Market forces; it will never compete with natural gas or the steady decline in cost of renewables... and most of us are better off having moved away from coal. 

So yes, the Democrats shouldn't have taken their union base for granted. But Trump sure as hell didn't show them respect, and is actually likely to make things much worse for them for a generation. But at least he'll shoot for a massive tax break for the wealthiest Americans, so there's that. I'm sure those voters will really enjoy the trickle down scraps they get from that.

[end rant]

Nice rant! Another factor is that educated and affluent core Democrats (and independents who lean liberal) were the least likely to get swayed by the fake news. Luckily, it's easy to spot a fake-news-believer on here, because they often use "MSM" and accuse major news outlets of being propaganda rags. Because the only "truth" is from digital propaganda rags put out by random 20-somethings in Orange County or the fine folks in Macedonia who happened upon a lucrative way to destroy democracy.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-11-16/kids-macedonia-made-and-circulated-many-false-news-stories-us-election
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/11/23/503146770/npr-finds-the-head-of-a-covert-fake-news-operation-in-the-suburbs

Of course, these sources won't be believed by those who have drunk the Kool-Aid, but might be informative to everyone else.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2016, 04:52:14 PM »

[end rant]

Agreed, the real question is when they go back to interview those communities that threw all in for Trump in 4 years after next to none of those jobs have come back or after a trade war, will they have seen the light or will they give him another 4 years to figure things out.

Could Trump find a way to blame his failings on his own party? This shit show could go so many bad places its impossible to tell.

Will the experience make people immune to Trump like bullshit from a future candidate or will it make them more susceptible to an even crazier candidate with wilder claims. Looking forward to 4 years of conservative news trying to defend the shit show even of things get rocky.

If his first year runs as well as his transition we could be in for a wild ride that hopefully wont cost more good Americans their jobs.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
hopefully wont cost more good Americans their jobs.

I don't know, as a federal employee I'm kind of looking forward to president Trump telling me "you're fired."   I won't even mind, if he does it through the voluntary early retirement authority.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:37 AM »
Agreed, the real question is when they go back to interview those communities that threw all in for Trump in 4 years after next to none of those jobs have come back or after a trade war, will they have seen the light or will they give him another 4 years to figure things out.

Could Trump find a way to blame his failings on his own party? This shit show could go so many bad places its impossible to tell.

Will the experience make people immune to Trump like bullshit from a future candidate or will it make them more susceptible to an even crazier candidate with wilder claims. Looking forward to 4 years of conservative news trying to defend the shit show even of things get rocky.

If his first year runs as well as his transition we could be in for a wild ride that hopefully wont cost more good Americans their jobs.

I guess I'm less interested in who to blame than how to help. Neither major political party had a workable plan for low income people, either urban or rural, and while pandering to their votes might win elections, it doesn't help the country.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »

I guess I'm less interested in who to blame than how to help. Neither major political party had a workable plan for low income people, either urban or rural, and while pandering to their votes might win elections, it doesn't help the country.

Really?  No one wanted to raise the minimum wage or work for more affordable health care?

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »
Quote from: golden1 on November 23, 2016, 08:56:35 AM

Based on the information sources you use to make judgements about things as based on your criticisms of HRC, I don't believe you.  You will rationalize whatever you need to in order to avoid picking up that gun.  You will transform the world into what you want it to be rather than fight for the rights of others you refuse to empathize with.

OK, so this is an important thing for you to recognize about yourself.  There are legitimate criticisms of HRC.  You get that right?  As there will be with any candidate.  Dismissing those concerns offhandedly because you don't like their source, despite the fact that my source is the associated press, it's CNN, it's VOX.  Instead of defending the candidate, good with the bad, Democrats went with, and the irony here is just staggering, "we have the best candidate, the very best, great qualifications, super qualified.  So much legislation she's passed, just the best.  Also foreign experience, she knows lots of leaders, lots of people.  Those bad things people are saying, you know, sometimes people just say bad things about you, and that's OK, that's OK folks."

The Democratic primary was the only place where actual policy got discussed.  The Democrats decided in the general they didn't need to talk about actual policy beyond vague counters to Trump's campaign "they don't have a plan, we have a plan."  Well, where's the details?  Who is paying for it?  What constitutional authority gives the government the right to do any of this?  It was more important to BEAT the other side than it was to win, and so both sides looked terrible.

I don't like HRC so I'm not worth listening to?  I just don't understand this.  Before this election, I had some great conversations on this board where I learned a ton about all sorts of different issues

You are putting words in my mouth based on your own obvious biases.   I never said Clinton wasn't flawed.  Of course she was, but if you have the idea that somehow she didn't have specific policy plans means you really didn't do research at all, because she had extremely detailed policy plans readily available. 

Everyone has biases.  You obvious love of libertarian style government is yours.  If libertarianism is so great, where are all the successful libertarian countries you can point to as examples?  Libertarianism is a noble ideal that tends to wilt when faced with reality.

She did not talk about those plans.  Go re-watch the debates.  You've got a captive audience to describe in detail exactly what you're going to do and you use the excuse that your opponent is ridiculous to squander the opportunity.  She could've come out there and totally ignored him, let him self-destruct, but she just couldn't do it.  She didn't believe we were smart enough to understand her plans, and she didn't think she had to deign to sell them to the American People.  She came off as entitled and arrogant, elitist and mean.  Source: I watched the debates.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, you made assumptions about my sources and used that to dismiss my arguments, as many are prone to do.  Not everyone who disagrees with you is less informed.  I went to her website and read through her policy proposals.  There's some good stuff in there.  There's some stuff that horrified me.  There's some stuff I didn't particularly care about.  There's even one or two things that were enough for me to not want her as president, even if she had been a good person.  I did this the day before I voted, when she had maximum time to refine and polish each one.  I did the same for Trump, and Stein, and Johnson.  For the most part, they were all trite, undetailed, shit.  Including HRC's.  Because the election wasn't about policy.  It was about character.  So certain were they that Trump couldn't win a character contest, they ran with one despite having a horrible candidate themselves.  All while claiming and still claiming that Trump is weak on policy.  So why not make the election about that?

I am absolutely biased towards libertarian sentiments, and the reasoning stems from exactly the same place as the current worries about Trump.  Nobody should be able to worry you like that, celebrating that your chosen dictator is likely to win, and then being upset when another group's chosen dictator wins, is the height of hypocrisy.  Understand that how you feel now is only avoidable in the future through consistent application of small government principles.  Any powerful government will eventually make you feel the way you feel now.  Nobody should have that power, and when you gave it away it was to thunderous applause.  Trump didn't come in and take it, you hurled it at your chosen one, as Republicans did with Dubya before that.

Successful libertarian countries?  Well, I'll let this quote argue that for me.

"His question makes as little sense when you replace “libertarianism” with, say, “atheism” or “environmentalism” or “feminism.” Operating in a liberal-democratic system that is driven by what Isaiah Berlin described as “value pluralism,” libertarian intellectuals and activists aim at affecting the world of ideas and the political process through the policy concepts they propose, not at establishing a Utopia based on their principles."

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2013/06/13/a-question-libertarians-can-answer-easily/

So my libertarian bias calls on me to visit a messageboard such as this where there are people that I know are extremely intelligent and capable, and point out to them that their leaders are not acting in good faith, are not trying to help them, are not advocating for policies that are right and good.  They are instead, on both right and left, seeking to consolidate power.  And to the extent they use that power, they do so only insofar as it will help them remain in power.  And so the decades long war on poverty has resulted in a massively larger government and substantially more people living in poverty.  As the decades long war on drugs has resulted in many more drugs and many more people in prison.  And the war on communism resulted in no actual failings of communist states.  But the inexorable passage of time did bring about the failure of many communist states, because time grinds down economic systems that do not work.

Are you generally operating under the conditions of, maybe I am wrong?  Or are you viewing the world with the assumption you are right?  My thesis on this election is that at this point, it has never been easier for you to see just how shitty your party is.  It is an opportunity.  I see some signs that Democrats and Republicans both, not the leadership but the people in it, are really looking around.  The truth is, I have far more in common with those people who showed up to vote for BHO but stayed home for HRC than I do with anyone who voted libertarian or republican, and never have I been more sympathetic to the near-majority that didn't vote at all.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »

Really?  No one wanted to raise the minimum wage or work for more affordable health care?

If the Democrats wanted to raise the minimum wage, they would have done so in 2009.  They want the issue.  Most of their voters already enjoy a higher minimum wage, as they live in states with a higher than federal minimum wage.

If the Democrats wanted more affordable health care, they would have done it in 2009.  Instead they passed the ACA over the objection of half the country and gave the republicans an excuse to break congress.

That's what is tricky about an election when you've been in power for 8 years.  It really begs the question, why didn't you do it already?

Now of course, there's a lot of really good arguments against it (reference above when republicans broke congress) but there it is.  Also, it is absolutely unreasonable to expect people to go out of their way to learn the details of your policy proposals when your candidate is abhorred.  I get it, it doesn't seem like it is unreasonable, but it is.  How many of you actually went to Trump's website and read his proposals?  Fuck that, how many of you actually read HRC's?  It wasn't an election about policy and it should have been.  There are two parties to blame for that.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2016, 05:31:30 PM »

I'm not sure this is true.

Listening to her propagates the attitude that this great post talks about (quote below). As a grown adult who did not vote for Clinton (or Trump, for that matter), every time I heard her talk throughout the campaign what she said came across as, "I know what I'm doing, you should really just listen to me, I really do know what's best and am more intelligent than you."

Maybe it's true maybe it's not, but she most definitely carried an aura of elitism and superiority I found quite off-putting.

If you treat grown adults like idiot children who don't know whats good for them, they will give you the finger and vote for someone else. And if you are a bad boring candidate your own people wont vote for you. That is in a nut shell what I take away from this election.

The Right wont listen to anything the left media or its followers say because we shut down every other argument by calling the average conservative uneducated, entitled, racist or sexist. We do this for decades and then some horrid person like Trump comes along and all the Liberals are pissed and we point out all the reasons he is a shit choice. And the Right just looks at us and remembers that we have said every candidate they have brought forth since 2000 was as bad as Trump, why would they believe us now?

I didn't want to believe liberals had become this condescending. But watching the Bernie primaries drove home how silly some of our racist and sexists comments have become. I mean holy shit a reporter legitimately asked Bernie at a rally if he thought he was being sexist by not conceding to the first female party nominee... Bernie fucking Sanders a sexist and calling his followers "Bernie Bros" because liberal democratic socialists are probably just being sexist too... The Clinton campaign had some disgusting flaws from day one.

If you are liberal like me we all need to tone down the condescending drivel about 10 notches. If the only way we can defend our view points is to point out that the alternative is sexist or bigoted then we are doomed to this kind of failure. And I have been guilty of it too.

We can fight and protest Trump if or when he does something we find abhorrent. Until then we need to get all of our friends and especially if you have friends in the media to rethink our tactics and talking points.

We can stand up to the real white nationalists that have come out of the wood work and the asshole kids who now think its funny to tag Nazi symbols on public property today just as every decent community hopefully always has.

Hillary could have beaten Trump if she had gotten Obama's minority turnout even with Trumps surge with rural white voters. We would still be just as divided as a nation.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Listening to her propagates the attitude that this great post talks about (quote below). As a grown adult who did not vote for Clinton (or Trump, for that matter), every time I heard her talk throughout the campaign what she said came across as, "I know what I'm doing, you should really just listen to me, I really do know what's best and am more intelligent than you."

Interesting. I thought it came across as she knew what she was talking about, she was confident in it, and didn't attempt to hide her intelligence. She was also much more comfortable swimming in the technical realm than being a big-tooth smile retail politician, which I can relate to so probably liked. In an election season full of sycophants, I found her behavior a positive. Obviously, YMMV and that is water under the bridge at this point.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2016, 07:14:38 AM »

Interesting. I thought it came across as she knew what she was talking about, she was confident in it, and didn't attempt to hide her intelligence. She was also much more comfortable swimming in the technical realm than being a big-tooth smile retail politician, which I can relate to so probably liked. In an election season full of sycophants, I found her behavior a positive. Obviously, YMMV and that is water under the bridge at this point.
I'd argue both sounded like this.  They both had HUGE egos IMO.  "Trust me, I know what's best."  Obama sounds like this too, to me.  But you could also argue it sounds confident and could be called a strong leader.  Romney and McCain did not sound like this, and maybe that's why they lost as bad as they did.  Neither Bush nor Gore sounded like this (again to me).

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
Most people who would choose to run for office have a greater than average opinion of themselves and their abilities.  It's probably a necessary requirement to go through what one needs to to become president.  Trump pairs his ego and narcissism with a lack of empathy and shame.  I never doubted that Hillary at least saw people as human beings worthy of a basic level of respect.  She spent the majority of her adult life in public service.  Trump seems to see people merely as toys or vessels for his own aggrandizement.  I can't think of a single thing he has done for anyone but himself and his immediate family. 

I never ceases to amaze me that people saw Hillary, who came from a middle class background and worked her way up, as elitist, while the billionaire born a millionaire Trump is considered a regular joe by his followers because he wears a baseball cap and talks crudely.  I guess it really doesn't matter what you actually do, as long as you act the part, right? 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »
Many see Hillary and the Clintons as arrogant because they do not play by the rules.  Hillary's private email server was not playing by the rules.  Bill getting sexual action in the Oval Office and lying about it is not playing by the rules.  When you act like you are above the law, it comes off as arrogant.  Voters do pay attention to actions!!

Has this thread helped understanding in any way? Was that the intention of this discussion?  I'm not sure.  Has anyone gotten any help from this discussion? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:51:32 AM by KBecks »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2016, 08:00:36 AM »
Most people who would choose to run for office have a greater than average opinion of themselves and their abilities.  It's probably a necessary requirement to go through what one needs to to become president.  Trump pairs his ego and narcissism with a lack of empathy and shame.  I never doubted that Hillary at least saw people as human beings worthy of a basic level of respect.  She spent the majority of her adult life in public service.  Trump seems to see people merely as toys or vessels for his own aggrandizement.  I can't think of a single thing he has done for anyone but himself and his immediate family. 

I never ceases to amaze me that people saw Hillary, who came from a middle class background and worked her way up, as elitist, while the billionaire born a millionaire Trump is considered a regular joe by his followers because he wears a baseball cap and talks crudely.  I guess it really doesn't matter what you actually do, as long as you act the part, right? 
I agree that you need an above average ego to run, but this pair was above the presidential average in my opinion.  I can see why you feel that way about Trump and Hillary, but I see things differently.  As a conservative, I don't want someone who "spent the majority of her adult life in pubic service."  I want small government.  I want someone tied to the laws they pass, so I want them out of the public life so they have to feel the repercussions.  Also, because there are fundamental differences in how many liberals and conservatives see the world, I believe most of Hillary's policies don't show respect to most people.  While you see respect to the poor, I see pity. 

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2016, 12:21:59 PM »
Many see Hillary and the Clintons as arrogant because they do not play by the rules.  Hillary's private email server was not playing by the rules.  Bill getting sexual action in the Oval Office and lying about it is not playing by the rules.  When you act like you are above the law, it comes off as arrogant.  Voters do pay attention to actions!!

Has this thread helped understanding in any way? Was that the intention of this discussion?  I'm not sure.  Has anyone gotten any help from this discussion?

Trump in no way has ever implied he is above the law. Nor will he be looking for sexual action in the Oval Office. Riiiight.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »

Trump in no way has ever implied he is above the law. Nor will he be looking for sexual action in the Oval Office. Riiiight.

I think Trump would probably brag about it and not lie under oath.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »

I thought we were talking about the Clintons' despicable, dishonorable behavior.  Bill and Hillary did those things.  That is real action that we've witnessed for years now.  You know with the Clintons exactly what you'd be getting in office.   Remember her paid speeches to Wall Street banks where she raked in the money for her foundation.  That's the behavior of an elitist. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »

Special prosecutor:  Mr President, did you or did you not have sex with that woman?

President Trump:  I grabbed her right in the pussy. 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »

I think the bigger issue is, why the hell was Clinton's side-action ever a thing he had to be under oath for? WTH? It's not like he was the first president to ever cheat on his wife while in office. Seriously, if you're so for small government then why aren't you pissed that so much time and so many resources were wasted on that fucking shambles?

You're applying double standards all over the place, holding the Clintons to one and dismissing the actual, factual evidence that your candidate is maybe even worse. Clinton lied about that under oath? Fine. It shouldn't have been a thing for public scrutiny anyway. But the fact that you're willing to defend the other guy who's been a proven cheater and liar? Fuck that. That's not something you get to do and still claim any credibility.

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2016, 12:43:50 PM »

Successful libertarian countries?  Well, I'll let this quote argue that for me.

"His question makes as little sense when you replace “libertarianism” with, say, “atheism” or “environmentalism” or “feminism.” Operating in a liberal-democratic system that is driven by what Isaiah Berlin described as “value pluralism,” libertarian intellectuals and activists aim at affecting the world of ideas and the political process through the policy concepts they propose, not at establishing a Utopia based on their principles."

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/2013/06/13/a-question-libertarians-can-answer-easily/

Answer: there isn't one. Or if it is, it's something like Somalia which seems to have a very weak/non-functional federal government. Woof. The ideal of a country that has very limited federal power and the federal government provides basically defense and maybe some mediation between states/provinces was laid to rest back in the beginning of the United States. It didn't work then, and now we have an even more interconnected system, the economy of which depends on a lot of universally recognized regulations to work properly. Otherwise, for example, whatever I want to charge in my house in Colorado may well not plug into outlets in my cousin's house in New Hampshire or my aunt's house in New York.
We won't even get started about environmental regulations, as air and water, essential to life, travel across many state boundaries.

Atheist country=China
Feminist country=Iceland
I'd have to do more research for Environmentalist country but the Netherlands and Germany come to mind.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »

I agree that you need an above average ego to run, but this pair was above the presidential average in my opinion.  I can see why you feel that way about Trump and Hillary, but I see things differently.  As a conservative, I don't want someone who "spent the majority of her adult life in pubic service."  I want small government.  I want someone tied to the laws they pass, so I want them out of the public life so they have to feel the repercussions.  Also, because there are fundamental differences in how many liberals and conservatives see the world, I believe most of Hillary's policies don't show respect to most people.  While you see respect to the poor, I see pity.

I get those sentiments. And pretty clearly nearly all Democratic candidates trample the concept of small government. Hillary was also a known quantity. We all pretty much new exactly what she would do in office and that was unpopular with both progressives and conservatives.

That being said if you don't have it that bad currently the odds of Hillary hurting you were probably pretty low short of starting a war with Russia.

The problem with choosing Trump as a conservative is that he really isn't pushing for any of the values you mention. The government will not get smaller under Trump. At a minimum some minor social cuts will occur offset by increased defense spending. At worst he will spend a great deal on infrastructure which was also a progressive idea that I am not sure Republicans are thrilled about while cutting taxes massively for high income earners.

If he wants to keep jobs in the US he is going to have to use Federal bribes to do so. Which equals more government spending. This is already happening. Might be a good thing, I am not against people keeping there jobs. But this is certainly not a free-market small government solution unless the method of keeping the jobs is but cutting both taxes and spending. You cant cherry pick, doing one and not the other kicks the can of our national debt down the road for the younger generation to clean up.

Trump not being a politician could be seen as a positive, if he had any other skills to bring to table. Great business leaders I think have potential to make good politicians. But they have a difficult job and need to learn quickly how to navigate our political quagmire. They also need to have great skill at diffusing conflict and reaching compromise which in general is traight common amongest successful leaders in all areas, governors, generals, and business heads. Trump at best, as a long time business man, has a record of running shady and failing business ventures. His biggest successes are based on bluster, name recognition and controversy not sound leadership. He is not a good leader in that he utterly fails to reach consensus with others and instead is willing to fight even with his closest allies if they slight him. He is petty and self centered. He has shown to express no consistent underlying philosophy or viewpoint and spews half truths and outright lies at every turn.

He in general is a terrible person and a terrible leader who is not going to change because he won the presidency. Overall Republican control may win conservatives some victories but Trump will likely continue to be a point of mostly controversy and distraction instead of offering improvements to the overall traditional Republican agenda. There is the off chance in an effort to please his base he will find a way to be a champion for the working class but it will be interesting how far the party will let him go before they start to fight and try to reign him in. Republicans have done little to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs from the US and they are made as wealthy by globalism as Democrats. The desire to keep oil and coal profitable to the bitter end is not based in a desire to bolster unions and workers rights...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:01:41 PM by RangerOne »

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »

I thought we were talking about the Clintons' despicable, dishonorable behavior.  Bill and Hillary did those things.  That is real action that we've witnessed for years now.  You know with the Clintons exactly what you'd be getting in office.   Remember her paid speeches to Wall Street banks where she raked in the money for her foundation.  That's the behavior of an elitist.

Hillary did not cheat or lie about cheating on her spouse. In fact, she was able to forgive Bill's infidelity, and the fact that people threw her under the bus for that blows my mind. This is in sharp contrast to the other candidate in this race who: is on tape discussing sexual assault, and multiple times documented infidelity. There were other serious accusations of rape (from his first wife) and a person who brought to court an accusation of child rape. There was a court date (meaning there was enough evidence that attorneys and the judge thought the trial should move forward) but after the victim received death threats she dropped the charges. Now, should Bill have come clean about it? Sure. But he didn't rape Monica (everyone was clear it was consensual), Monica was an adult at the time, and it was basically Bill's and Hillary's business rather than Congress's. None of this is in any way Hillary's fault, so the only blame you could possibly put on her is the "crime" of staying with her cheating husband...which is also her and Bill's business and nobody else's.
So thinking that the Clintons were somehow tarnished (especially Hillary!) regarding the Monica situation while Trump is A-OK is complete hypocrisy.

As for emails, Trump destroyed emails that were subpeona'd. So that's pretty equal, too.

I think people saw Hillary as arrogant or elitist because she spoke in complete sentences and didn't stoop to Trump's extremely low level. The worst she said about his followers was that "half of them are deplorable". And frankly, given the high percentage of mouth-breathing racists that are coming out of the woodwork now, I would have to agree. The other half are all butt-hurt because they associated themselves with an obvious complete jackass, racist, sexist sociopath, and now don't want to be thought of as mouth-breathing racists. But then the people who actually thought "hey, I want someone who can fucking handle Twitter and understands at least the bare-bones basics of the Constitution and won't be telling other world leaders to stay in hotels owned by that person and who actually PAID TAXES and proved it by releasing personal income tax forms" are the ones who are supposed to bring unity and bridge the gap? Nope. Doubling down on the hypocrisy does not make me think Trump voters are outside the deplorable category.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:16:43 PM by RosieTR »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »

Special prosecutor:  Mr President, did you or did you not have sex with that woman?

President Trump:  I grabbed her right in the pussy.

I wouldn't even be surprised at that, either.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »

Hillary did not cheat or lie about cheating on her spouse. In fact, she was able to forgive Bill's infidelity, and the fact that people threw her under the bus for that blows my mind. This is in sharp contrast to the other candidate in this race who: is on tape discussing sexual assault, and multiple times documented infidelity. There were other serious accusations of rape (from his first wife) and a person who brought to court an accusation of child rape. There was a court date (meaning there was enough evidence that attorneys and the judge thought the trial should move forward) but after the victim received death threats she dropped the charges. Now, should Bill have come clean about it? Sure. But he didn't rape Monica (everyone was clear it was consensual), Monica was an adult at the time, and it was basically Bill's and Hillary's business rather than Congress's. None of this is in any way Hillary's fault, so the only blame you could possibly put on her is the "crime" of staying with her cheating husband...which is also her and Bill's business and nobody else's.
So thinking that the Clintons were somehow tarnished (especially Hillary!) regarding the Monica situation while Trump is A-OK is complete hypocrisy.

As for emails, Trump destroyed emails that were subpeona'd. So that's pretty equal, too.

I think people saw Hillary as arrogant or elitist because she spoke in complete sentences and didn't stoop to Trump's extremely low level. The worst she said about his followers was that "half of them are deplorable". And frankly, given the high percentage of mouth-breathing racists that are coming out of the woodwork now, I would have to agree. The other half are all butt-hurt because they associated themselves with an obvious complete jackass, racist, sexist sociopath, and now don't want to be thought of as mouth-breathing racists. But then the people who actually thought "hey, I want someone who can fucking handle Twitter and understands at least the bare-bones basics of the Constitution and won't be telling other world leaders to stay in hotels owned by that person and who actually PAID TAXES and proved it by releasing personal income tax forms" are the ones who are supposed to bring unity and bridge the gap? Nope. Doubling down on the hypocrisy does not make me think Trump voters are outside the deplorable category.

People voted against the total ignorance displayed in your post.

MOD EDIT: Forum rule #1.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:19:30 AM by arebelspy »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »

Just as you are labeling all Trump voters based on Trump, a lot of people see Clinton supporters writing stuff like this and then associate that with Clinton herself.

Plenty of Clinton supporters act plenty elitist and dismissive towards anyone who is even neutral towards Trump, let alone positive.

It'd not surprise me at all if part of why she comes across as elitist is this sort of attitude among her supporters.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: November 30, 2016, 02:13:32 PM »
People voted against the total ignorance displayed in your post.

Except, as you well know, they didn't.

"The people" voted for Hillary Clinton, by several percent.  The electoral college elected Trump anyway.