Author Topic: Help me identify the style of this house  (Read 2140 times)

Ecky

• Bristles
Help me identify the style of this house
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »
Putting in an offer on this house soon. I'm having trouble placing if there's a cohesive style to it, or of it's just a mish-mash of elements made to look European. I'd probably call the exterior "chalet". Anyone have any ideas?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:25:16 AM by Ecky »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Help me identify the style of this house
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:21:23 AM »
1960's A frame AKA Swiss ski chalet.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
Looks like a two-story A frame.  I would have said Bulvarian-style, given the metal scroll work on the hinges, but I'm no expert.

My follow up question:  What do you plan on doing this this house?  Any reno planned?  Will it be your permanent residence?

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »
My follow up question:  What do you plan on doing this this house?  Any reno planned?  Will it be your permanent residence?

Yep, first home, going with a 203k. It's going to take a ton of elbow grease, the interior is filthy but it was clearly someone's dream home when it was built in '82 and structurally it needs nothing. Hoping the bank will take my offer since it's the off season, it's more the home I'd hope to end up in rather than a starter - deep clean mountain well, ~3 acres of land with no neighbors in sight, a central fireplace which can be fired on every floor, a massive detached garage with insulated workshop above it, and plenty of good grazing for some alpacas I'd like to obtain and let loose.

Best part? 30 minutes from work and I'm thinking I can snag it for under 150k.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:07:15 AM »
g'luck.  It requires a ton of cosmetic work but if the bones are good I think this is one where you could really make it shine.  Love to see occasional picts of your reno (if they accept your offer).

Budgie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:42:54 PM »
Good luck. I admire your ability to look past the current state and see what it could be. I always think it's funny when people on HGTV turn their noses up at "dated" kitchen counters or not having double sinks in the master bath. We bought a foreclosure years ago and I put a lot of elbow grease and love into making it a home sweet home-- so worth it.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
It looks like we could be neighbors.  :)

Congrats.  Looks like a great place. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »
Where i come from we simply call it an A-frame with a walkout. In other parts of the country or in the Mountains a Ski Chalet.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »
It's not an A-frame. Too much wall and not enough roof. That would commonly be called a "Swiss alpine" or "alpine chalet" or simply "chalet" style house. Good luck with the renovation. Looks like the home has tons of potential!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »
It's not an A-frame. Too much wall and not enough roof. That would commonly be called a "Swiss alpine" or "alpine chalet" or simply "chalet" style house. Good luck with the renovation. Looks like the home has tons of potential!

Agree with this. There's some lovely detailing in the brick work on the chimney and in the interior woodwork  - I don't know whether the kitchen cabinets are to your taste but they look like high quality work and worth saving/repurposing if possible.