Author Topic: Has anyone tried whitening their teeth with activated charcoal?  (Read 16773 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
Re: Has anyone tried whitening their teeth with activated charcoal?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
My first thought is that it sounds like a good way to blacken your teeth :-)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 11:56:37 PM »
Interesting! I do actually have some activated charcoal (but in tablet form, not powder... I guess I can try crushing and grinding them?).

Okay, I just tried it. I still used a dab of toothpaste, but also a gentle sprinkle of the activated charcoal. Enough so that it foams up gray. :)  I don't know if I can tell the difference after one brush, but I might do it for a few days, if I can remember, and look out for any improvements.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 12:23:32 AM »
Very cool! 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:03:46 AM »
Interesting! I do actually have some activated charcoal (but in tablet form, not powder... I guess I can try crushing and grinding them?).

Okay, I just tried it. I still used a dab of toothpaste, but also a gentle sprinkle of the activated charcoal. Enough so that it foams up gray. :)  I don't know if I can tell the difference after one brush, but I might do it for a few days, if I can remember, and look out for any improvements.

Keep us posted! Did you y your charcoal tablets from a health food store? I'm trying to think of where I can get them.

HSLmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
I have, it works really well. I use it for my kids too a couple times a month, it really scrubs the teeth. Activated charcoal binds to things, that's why it's used as a poison remedy, it binds to toxins and then they aren't absorbed into the bloodstream.

HSLmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »
I'm comfortable with it, it does bind to minerals and vitamins, though, so long term constand use could deplete you of those. /notadoctor

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
Keep us posted! Did you y your charcoal tablets from a health food store? I'm trying to think of where I can get them.

I brushed again tonight. :)  I got mine at the chemist. It was sold at the section for gastrointestinal health. I originally bought it for travel - if you eat something bad, it binds together and helps bring it out of the body. It doesn't just bind together with bad stuff though (e.g. it may also bind with medicines, nutrients etc.), so it's not recommended for regular or long-term ingestion. But just brushing should be fine, I think?

CopperTex

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
I have had good results with plain ole' baking soda.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:28:05 PM »
Activated charcoal is not proving easy to find!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »
I got mine in capsule form on Amazon, and tried it for the first time last night....I see modest improvement after two applications, and considering the amount of coffee I drink, am very encouraged.

A word of warning, do not do this in front of your SO unless he/she is also participating in the experience...giggling with charcoal in your mouth is not a sexy look :)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 11:07:49 AM »
Interesting; never heard of it!

I've been brushing with hydrogen peroxide (in addition to toothpaste) for years now and I always get compliments on how white my teeth are. Last time I was at the dentist he was telling me they're finding a bunch of dental health benefits to using hydrogen peroxide as well.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 12:20:44 PM »

My bulk supplier carries it, but I had a really hard time finding it before I realized that. I had to eventually ask at the Pharmacy, some apparently keep it behind the counter and sometimes  it is in the first-aid area - sometimes with the vitamins.

I have been doing this for a while and it seems to have helped. Also, Activated charcoal is really useful to have on hand if you have pets and think they might have gotten into something they shouldn't have. I keep a can of pumpkin on hand to mix with some in case out pup gets into something, which she does from time to time.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »
I've done this; it works great. Also good for upset tummies.

I bought mine on Amazon for pretty cheap

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
I found some at a pharmacy in Ottawa! I tried it, not sure if it helped... I will try it a few times and see if I notice a difference :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 05:17:28 PM »

Interesting; never heard of it!

I've been brushing with hydrogen peroxide (in addition to toothpaste) for years now and I always get compliments on how white my teeth are. Last time I was at the dentist he was telling me they're finding a bunch of dental health benefits to using hydrogen peroxide as well.

I've never heard of that! I might have to try it :)

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
I found some at a pharmacy in Ottawa! I tried it, not sure if it helped... I will try it a few times and see if I notice a difference :)

Usually takes me a week of daily swishing. You won't notice day by day, but take a "before" photo to compare and you'll see it by the end.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »

Were the charcoal you found at the pharmacy in bulk, or in little capsule or tablets? I found some tablets at the local health food store in Calgary, but the price was not very mustachian. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »

Usually takes me a week of daily swishing. You won't notice day by day, but take a "before" photo to compare and you'll see it by the end.

Cool, good tip! I'll report back!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »

Were the charcoal you found at the pharmacy in bulk, or in little capsule or tablets? I found some tablets at the local health food store in Calgary, but the price was not very mustachian.

I got a bottle of capsules, probably 50-100, for $12. I compare it to the price of teeth whitening, and feel like I come out ahead.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »
I'm intrigued by this and hoping libraryjoy posts before and after shots. Or at least reports on well it worked. Those Crest whitening strips suck!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 11:36:39 AM »
I'm intrigued by this and hoping libraryjoy posts before and after shots. Or at least reports on well it worked. Those Crest whitening strips suck!

I've done it twice now and keep forgetting to take a photo! I'll take one today and let you know how it goes. I would say it either works, or gives the illusion of working. Put anything black next to your teeth and suddenly your teeth look very white (in contrast!)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
Stop forgetting.

Take the photo!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »

Stop forgetting.

Take the photo!

Ok deal. Adding it to my to-do list!

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 05:11:10 AM »
Took a photo before the third swishing. After the fifth I feel that it is working but that might be wrong. Will compare photos after 10 capsules and report back.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 10:46:09 AM »
I took before and after pics and will not be posting them because they look IDENTICAL. I am not sure how many times I have to do it before I notice a difference? That being said, my teeth always feel SUPER clean afterwards :D

redwhitechem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Industrial Chemical Suppliers
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 07:06:19 AM »
Activated charcoal is a highly absorbent substance. It removes toxins when they adhere to the surface of the charcoal. Use of activated carbon, dip clean and wet brush into powered charcoal otherwise tip a capsule of charcoal on toothbrush. Now quickly put the charcoal covered toothbrush in mouth. After 2 minutes rinse really well and now your mouth will feel amazing clean.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:43:37 AM »
Is there any danger of removing the enamel?

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:32 PM »
Is there any danger of removing the enamel?

First question in my mind.

Also, is this activated charcoal also known as activated carbon? Because if it is, ya might be able to get it cheaper wherever you can find aquarium supplies-its used to purify tanks.

alva114

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 05:23:22 AM »
No, I tried Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste. I use this paste regularly to whiten my teeth and the result is superb. Try this out you just need to  Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough fresh lemon juice to form paste. Wipe your teeth with a paper towel. Put the paste onto your toothbrush and apply. Leave the paste on for a minute and rinse, so as to avoid the acid effecting enamel. If you are using water instead of lemon juice, you can leave it on for up to 3 minutes. With regular use, you would see the changes.

For more amazing remedies visit (Mod Note: Spam complaint, link removed)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:25:37 AM by swick »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »
No, I tried Baking Soda and Lemon Juice Paste. I use this paste regularly to whiten my teeth and the result is superb. Try this out you just need to  Mix 2 teaspoons of baking soda with enough fresh lemon juice to form paste. Wipe your teeth with a paper towel. Put the paste onto your toothbrush and apply. Leave the paste on for a minute and rinse, so as to avoid the acid effecting enamel. If you are using water instead of lemon juice, you can leave it on for up to 3 minutes. With regular use, you would see the changes.

For more amazing remedies visit: --spam link--
I clicked on this link and was not overly impressed with the quality of the writing. Therefore, the phrases "not a professional " and "don't believe everything you read" instantly sprang to mind. So, please use caution and a healthy shot of skepticism before believing everything that's claimed. And of course, buying whatever's being sold is probably not very mustachian either.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:37:36 AM by FrugalToque »

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
I've just started using BlackMagic, a toothpaste with activated charcoal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1U615O

There's a bit of separation in the product ingredients, so it comes out runny at first, then settles into a semi-consistent viscosity.  I'm a coffee drinker, and coffee stains my teeth, so it will be interesting to see if there's any visual improvement after a few weeks.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »
I took before and after pics and will not be posting them because they look IDENTICAL. I am not sure how many times I have to do it before I notice a difference? That being said, my teeth always feel SUPER clean afterwards :D

lifejoy (or others), curious if you continued with this and still find it worthwhile?

I drink lots of tea, and am noticing the effects more (I've done hydrogen peroxide for last several years, but doesn't seem to make a huge difference for me, or else tea is just too powerful).

Also found powdered activated charcoal on Amazon that seems reasonably priced: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LT296A8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:36:12 AM by step-in-time »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
I dunno. It was really hard to tell if it was working :P

Let me know if you try it! :)

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »
I have and I love it! Which reminds me, I should find what I did with mine (lost in the move, but I think I know where they are).

The process is messy but is easy clean up. I have capsules that I break apart into a little bit of water. From there I use it like you would mouthwash, swish it around a bit, then with my finger "brush" my teeth. Warning - you look like you have demon mouth and will get creepy black water everywhere but my teeth were definitely whiter!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
I have and I love it! Which reminds me, I should find what I did with mine (lost in the move, but I think I know where they are).

The process is messy but is easy clean up. I have capsules that I break apart into a little bit of water. From there I use it like you would mouthwash, swish it around a bit, then with my finger "brush" my teeth. Warning - you look like you have demon mouth and will get creepy black water everywhere but my teeth were definitely whiter!
So you're positive it's not just the effect of seeing your teeth against a black background?

I found it was very hard to measure the success of this experiment, for myself.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 10:45:35 AM »

Almost any pet store with fish will sell the stuff in very large containers.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »
Maybe depends on the cause of the discoloring of your teeth? I drink coffee (a lot) and have stained teeth, so maybe that kind of stain is easier to remove with the charcoal? I had before and after pictures after a week or so of using and there was definitely a difference. It won't be as blinding as getting them bleached at a dentist, but I think it worked for me.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
I've just started using BlackMagic, a toothpaste with activated charcoal:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C1U615O

There's a bit of separation in the product ingredients, so it comes out runny at first, then settles into a semi-consistent viscosity.  I'm a coffee drinker, and coffee stains my teeth, so it will be interesting to see if there's any visual improvement after a few weeks.

Followup:  The experiment with BlackMagic toothpaste failed.  It was just too
runny and it was hard not to create a mess in the bathroom sink.  If someone
could improve upon the idea with an improved product, I'd give it another try.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
I did, with this on Amazon:

Activated Charcoal Natural Teeth Whitening Powder by Pro Teeth Whitening Co Grey Charcoal

I am a coffee drinker. It didn't make my teeth any whiter, just kept them from restaining after a cleaning. It did not perform any better than the little cups of polish paste you can buy for dental polishers.

The charcoal powder leaves a thin gray film on the sink from splashing, even if you clean right after. It became too much trouble after awhile.

silentfaith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
ok,,,,here's the tip of the year,,,,,keep a bottle of .95cents hydrogen peroxide in your shower. squirt a mouthful in your mouth and hold it there until the shower is done,,,spit it out then and rinse with water,,,,wala cleans your teeth and heals your body.

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2018, 08:07:18 AM »
ok,,,,here's the tip of the year,,,,,keep a bottle of .95cents hydrogen peroxide in your shower. squirt a mouthful in your mouth and hold it there until the shower is done,,,spit it out then and rinse with water,,,,wala cleans your teeth and heals your body.

The bottle I have recommends, when using it as a mouthwash ("debriding agent" is the term on the bottle), to use a cap-full of peroxide and a cap-full of water. You might be using too much.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
I'm in my 50s.  When I was a kid, a few of my older siblings had braces.  The orthodontist used to make them brush with activated charcoal as long as the braces were on.  I don't know why.  It was my chore to scour the sinks on a regular basis and the charcoal made a dreadful mess.  I suspect that the charcoal makes your teeth feel very clean more because it's quite abrasive than because it chemically bonds to discoloring agents.

If you have sensitive teeth or receding gums, you probably want to talk to your dentist about this.  I like to use baking soda occasionally as it has similar abrasive action, but my dentist isn't a fan as it can be tough on the enamel, especially if you have any gum issues.