Author Topic: Grammar nazi  (Read 184563 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Grammar nazi
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »

My personal noun to verb "favorite" is when people use "office" as a verb: "I office from home two days per week."

My hand involuntarily curls into a face-punching fist whenever I hear that.

My "favorite" is when "gift" is used as a verb.  I spit up in my mouth a little every time I see it.  Is there something wrong with "to give"?  Why do people do this?
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/gift?q=gift

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »
For me the biggest thing that irks me isn't one specific mistake (they're/there/their or loose/lose etc.) but repeated mistakes. I can overlook any typo done once or twice, though I'll usually still notice and cringe a little on the inside. What gets me is when people make the same mistake over and over. I tried reading gocurrycracker.com a few times and had to stop because they have a chronic issue with dropping periods from the last sentence in each paragraph. Once I noticed that it was all I could see and it drove me up the effing wall.

Similarly, I have a coworker who types "defiantly" every time he means "definitely" and has been doing so for years now. Drives me nuts!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »
Similarly, I have a coworker who types "defiantly" every time he means "definitely" and has been doing so for years now. Drives me nuts!
I'm generally a very good speller (or I used to be before I got so lazy).  But there are certain words that have always been difficult for me.  I know what these words are.  I know how to spell them because I've memorized them.  But my brain works differently with these words and I don't have them memorized the same way other words are memorized.  I have to use tricks to get the correct spelling and it slows me down a lot when typing. 
Definitely is one of these words.  Architect is another. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2015, 07:33:51 PM »
I have to use tricks to get the correct spelling and it slows me down a lot when typing. 
Definitely is one of these words. 

This is one of my commonly misspelled words as well ... I memorized it by remembering "finite" in the middle of the word :-)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
I have to use tricks to get the correct spelling and it slows me down a lot when typing. 
Definitely is one of these words. 

This is one of my commonly misspelled words as well ... I memorized it by remembering "finite" in the middle of the word :-)

My third grade teacher drilled this one into our brains by emphasizing the 'finite' part too. 

She was so good - I remember asking her how to spell 'beautiful'.  She handed me a huge dictionary and said, 'find it'.  She let me search for twenty minutes.  She didn't bail me out.  Whenever I said I couldn't find it, she'd just say, 'keep looking.  It's in there.'  At last I found it.  I never forgot the spelling after that.  She was AWESOME!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #255 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
I haven't really paid attention to this one until recently, but I see a lot of people using the term "Pre-planning".  Isn't that just planning?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
I would guess this has been said earlier in this very long thread, but:

I hate it when people mix up "me" and "I", etc.

"Peggy and me went to the store…"

"They bought it for Steve and I."

Ugh.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:09 PM »
I haven't really paid attention to this one until recently, but I see a lot of people using the term "Pre-planning".  Isn't that just planning?

Oy. 

Related: Advance warning. (Husband hates that one.)

But even worse:

Advanced warning.

Unless you really mean that your warning is more sophisticated than mine.

blue mutant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: March 30, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »
Fare and fair.

Somewhat unrelated, I had a letter go out prepared by an assistant (I did sign it) where beneficial was spelled benefishal. I only noticed it on reviewing the file a couple months later. D'oh

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »
Fare and fair.

Also, phase and faze. 

And reign/rein.  I see "free reign" a LOT lately. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #260 on: March 30, 2015, 04:32:01 PM »

I'm almost certain that this is because if you type "definately", which is a reasonable enough misspelling, spell check tells you that you want "defiantly".

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:40 PM »
I seem to hear a lot of verbs in the wrong past tense:

"I seen a deer."
"I had saw a deer."
"I had went to the store."
etc.

It drives me bonkers.

Also, people mix up "infer" and "imply". (I guess it bugs me more because the person is usually otherwise intelligent and articulate.)

Has anyone noticed that the phrase "in the world" is out of fashion? It's been replaced by "on the planet", e.g. "Apple is one of the largest corporations on the planet."

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »
Oooohhh, and then there's the need to use many syllables to appear more intelligent.

Instead of car, say vehicle.

Instead of use, say utilize.

Instead of right now, say at this particular point in time.

Etc.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
In South Africa, "now" doesn't mean now.  It means later. Unless you say "just now", then that means much later.  Just cracked me up thinking of that.  The fastest you can get anything done is "now now", but that just means soon, but not right now.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »
In South Africa, "now" doesn't mean now.  It means later. Unless you say "just now", then that means much later.  Just cracked me up thinking of that.  The fastest you can get anything done is "now now", but that just means soon, but not right now.

Wow, I had no idea -- that's hilarious! 

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
Another 'noun as verb' example...

At the Olympics competitors now 'medal' in an event instead of 'win a medal'. Argh!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »
For me the biggest thing that irks me isn't one specific mistake (they're/there/their or loose/lose etc.) but repeated mistakes. I can overlook any typo done once or twice, though I'll usually still notice and cringe a little on the inside. What gets me is when people make the same mistake over and over. I tried reading gocurrycracker.com a few times and had to stop because they have a chronic issue with dropping periods from the last sentence in each paragraph. Once I noticed that it was all I could see and it drove me up the effing wall.

Oh, God, I thought that was just me.  I can read GCC but I keep wanting to yell WHY DO YOU HATE USING PERIODS? 

And more annoying shortened words I see:

Rezzies (reservations)
Vacay (vacation)
Resto (restaurant)
Luxe (deluxe)
Bae (baby)

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »

Oh, God, I thought that was just me.  I can read GCC but I keep wanting to yell WHY DO YOU HATE USING PERIODS? 

And more annoying shortened words I see:

Rezzies (reservations)
Vacay (vacation)
Resto (restaurant)
Luxe (deluxe)
Bae (baby)

Annoying indeed.  I think these are all part of the adult baby-talk fad mentioned earlier ("veggie" is the one that is my pet peeve).    People apparently think that baby talk will make then sound winsome and charming, instead of childish and grating.  I keep hoping that they will come to their senses and that soon it will all go away. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »

Yea that was really annoying. At least it only seemed to happen at the end of paragraphs (at least, the times I noticed) so it wasn't terrible, but still. What the hell?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

At the Olympics competitors now 'medal' in an event instead of 'win a medal'. Argh!

I've never heard complaints about noun as verb stuff before.  There are many words that are both nouns and verbs already (pipe, drive, slot, whip, start, end... the list goes on), why not add more if it makes the language succinct without loss of meaning?

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: April 01, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »

I've never heard complaints about noun as verb stuff before.  There are many words that are both nouns and verbs already (pipe, drive, slot, whip, start, end... the list goes on), why not add more if it makes the language succinct without loss of meaning?

Well, because every language has standards of usage, and in English, succinctness is not among them. 

Interestingly enough, in "1984" Newspeak dictated invariant noun-verbs. 

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: April 01, 2015, 01:11:33 PM »
Formation of nouns from verbs has been going on for the entire history of the language. It's not a novel offensive concept. For example, the word "kidnapper" is the original form of the word, first found in the 1600s. The verb "to kidnap" was constructed as a verb version of the noun. Given the centuries-old history, it's hard to argue that construction of verbs from nouns is per se objectionable.

Oooohhh, and then there's the need to use many syllables to appear more intelligent.

These words aren't synonyms. "Vehicle" describes any machine or device used for carrying something, and also has an even broader metaphorical use (e.g. IRA as a "savings vehicle"). If the speaker wants to focus on the nature of the device as something that transports people, "vehicle" may well be a better choice than "car", which brings to mind specifically one kind of vehicle. In writing and speaking, we're often forced to choose between words with similar meanings, and the choice of which to use is based on the expectations of the audience, the intent of the speaker, and other relevant factors. I agree with you that simpler language is generally preferably, but good writers don't follow rigid rules like "never use the word 'vehicle'", because that's silly.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
Formation of nouns from verbs has been going on for the entire history of the language. It's not a novel offensive concept. For example, the word "kidnapper" is the original form of the word, first found in the 1600s. The verb "to kidnap" was constructed as a verb version of the noun. Given the centuries-old history, it's hard to argue that construction of verbs from nouns is per se objectionable.

These words aren't synonyms. "Vehicle" describes any machine or device used for carrying something, and also has an even broader metaphorical use (e.g. IRA as a "savings vehicle"). If the speaker wants to focus on the nature of the device as something that transports people, "vehicle" may well be a better choice than "car", which brings to mind specifically one kind of vehicle. In writing and speaking, we're often forced to choose between words with similar meanings, and the choice of which to use is based on the expectations of the audience, the intent of the speaker, and other relevant factors. I agree with you that simpler language is generally preferably, but good writers don't follow rigid rules like "never use the word 'vehicle'", because that's silly.

No, of course, but that's not what I'm saying.  I'm talking about people (and I know more than a few) who literally never say the word "car" to mean their car.  They always, always, say vehicle.  Because, I think, they feel it makes them sound more erudite.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #273 on: April 01, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
I have another one.

Incorrect over-use of the word "myself".

"If you have any questions, contact Jean or myself."

Dammit, that's completely incorrect.  Someone else can't contact you as "myself".  The correct word is 'me'."  Only I can contact myself. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »

No, of course, but that's not what I'm saying.  I'm talking about people (and I know more than a few) who literally never say the word "car" to mean their car.  They always, always, say vehicle.  Because, I think, they feel it makes them sound more erudite.

What a bunch of cavemen.  I prefer the term automobile.  More syllables means more smarter.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: April 01, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
I tried reading gocurrycracker.com a few times and had to stop because they have a chronic issue with dropping periods from the last sentence in each paragraph.

I noticed that too and figured that he was sort of using paragraphs the way you use bulleted lists. Some times each bullet will be an incomplete sentence and won't have punctuation at the end... ?

I love his blog and choose to read it, despite the weird punctuation "policy" he seems to prefer. Whatever.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #276 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »

And back-formation of verbs?  How do those do historically?  Because I don't like these and would like to kill off the words forever.
Orientation --> Orientate.  Really!  This is apparently pretty common in some countries.  I don't understand why orient wouldn't be the correct verb.
Conversation --> Conversate  (from a doctor, no less)
Incentive --> Incentivize.  Why can't we just say offer an incentive? this word has become pervasive.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #277 on: April 01, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
Incentive --> Incentivize.  Why can't we just say offer an incentive? this word has become pervasive.

Well, technically this one's not back formation. And -ize is a fairly productive suffix. You've gotta love words like bowdlerize.  </linguistnerd>

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #278 on: April 02, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
I've heard "incent" as a verb at work a lot.  Not sure offhand if it's real or not.  "Let's incent team members to maximize their productivity this quarter."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2015, 12:37:27 PM »
The verb that goes with "conversation" is "to converse".

Ici on parle Franglais.  So many Anglophones (yes, that is a legitimate word, thank you, at least here, it goes with Francophone and Allophone) use the French verb form in English - it would make perfect sense in French, but sounds odd in English.  Of course using similar words in the other language can cause issues - one government minister talked about rampant something, and got yelled at by the English media - in French 'rampant' means creeping, so the intended meaning was quite different.

And yes, homonyms - reign/rein, faze/phase, etc.  I blame spell check.  You have all seen this, eh?
http://www.latech.edu/tech/liberal-arts/geography/courses/spellchecker.htm

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »

Yes.  I know!  So how do I tell my doctor that?  I've heard "conversate" more than once and almost choke when I do.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
I don't know.  I used to discuss writing style with my university class, and the ones that resented it the most (we don't need THIS!) were the ones that needed it the most.

Yes.  I know!  So how do I tell my doctor that?  I've heard "conversate" more than once and almost choke when I do.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
Can we add cutely/folksy to the nail on blackboard screechers?  Along with veggies?

I am reading an on-line discussion on raising rabbits for meat.  Obviously when these are animals you are planning to eat, you are not going to call them bun-buns - but 'hoppers?  Yes that is "'hoppers", I did not add the " ' ".  It makes me think of grasshoppers.  If someone knows enough about a topic to use correct terminology (bucks, does, kindling) this is downright cutesy, and off-putting.  Gah.

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »
Hi. Long thread here. I might have missed these  so I'll beg the ol' pardon if I'm being redundant.

Along with the OP's "then" when people mean "than", I see a lot of "He should OF.." instead of "He should HAVE..."

Even the 6'oclock news guys, professional talkers, all too often will say "Eck-scape" instead of "escape".

And the never popular:  These days most everyone uses a computer which conveys no real information unless you decode the incorrect  meaningless words. They mean: These days almost everyone uses a computer, or       possibly "These days most people use a computer.

These are not mere "Grammar Nazi" issues. Who vs whom. Or even their vs there. One is considered an over-refinement even by many English teachers today and never impacts the meaning anyway.  The second could just be an on-the-fly typo or editing error.  On informal internet  forums nobody is writing for the ages. I can sway with the idiomatic or argot. But "should of" for "should have". "Eck-scape" (especially from a media communicator) ,  "most everyone" ... ? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: April 07, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »
They are everywhere.  New one for the list: "not for the feint of heart".

Just shoot me now.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #285 on: April 07, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
  These days most everyone uses a computer which conveys no real information unless you decode the incorrect  meaningless words. They mean: These days almost everyone uses a computer, or       possibly "These days most people use a computer.

This one doesn't bother me. It's been around for hundreds of years, and is definitely a reduced for of "almost". To me, it's in the same category as "don't" or "it's".

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #286 on: April 07, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Ugh.. Don't get me started on 'don't' and 'it's'. Why can't everyone on the internet just write in perfect prose for all their conversations. Guys it's not that hard! I'm only expecting everyone to have the same education level as me. Remember all internet debates must include a thesis.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
What's wrong with don't?  Seriously?  Now I'm afraid to speak.

Has anyone mentioned "Where's it AT?"  I hate that! 

Hi Johnny.  Where are you AT?  AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!  Stop. just stop after you.  Where are you.  That's the question. 
Washington DC news stinks because the anchors cannot even speak proper English!  I hear the "where you at?" ALL. THE. TIME. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
What's wrong with don't?  Seriously?  Now I'm afraid to speak.

Nothing. That's my point!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »
I swear on everything that's holy, if I see one more person make a plural with an apostrophe, I'm gonna stroke out.

Which means I should probably cash in all my retirement funds and go on a massive spending spree, because I don't have that long to live.

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »
I swear on everything that's holy, if I see one more person make a plural with an apostrophe, I'm gonna stroke out.

Which means I should probably cash in all my retirement funds and go on a massive spending spree, because I don't have that long to live.

Do consider donating to one of my retirement 
Spoiler: show
fund's

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »
For your consideration: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »

fund's

Lol good one, Grid! Thanks for the laugh!

Grid

• Bristles
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »

fund's

Lol good one, Grid! Thanks for the laugh!

I think the "spoiler alert" feature is new...  It works well for some posts haha

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
I like the little sayings:
You can have a little or a lot.
If you spell definitely with an A, then you're definitely an A-hole. (Thanks, Oatmeal!)

So, I'm guessing that this is a pro-Oxford comma crowd?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
If you spell definitely with an A, then you're definitely an A-hole. (Thanks, Oatmeal!)

I don't know about the crowd, but I am definitely pro-Oxford comma.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »

I don't know about the crowd, but I am definitely pro-Oxford comma.
It's the only way to be.

Karen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Team Trucking Lifestyle
« Reply #297 on: April 20, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »
I used to live in Wales and had to get used to people saying stuff like "I'll do it now in a minute." At first I couldn't understand. "Well, which is it? Now, or a minute later?"

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »
I stpd carign wen I reeleyezed thet I he'd no prahblem undrstand'n  wriitin lik thes. Unlass it fermal I justa dewnt kair.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
I stpd carign wen I reeleyezed thet I he'd no prahblem undrstand'n  wriitin lik thes. Unlass it fermal I justa dewnt kair.

Different thread, about the same content.

Heard (herd) a report of someone with a BS being corrected for (four) using 'should of' and said "oh I can never keep straight (strait) when that isn't correct"

Uh, go with never.

smack right to the forehead.