Author Topic: Gawd, I am completely sick of people today  (Read 6841 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Gawd, I am completely sick of people today
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
Bring back lockdown.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Gawd, I am completely sick of people today
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
My favorite tongue in cheek meme lately has been "Everything was going fine until you nonessentials got paroled"

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
My favorite tongue in cheek meme lately has been "Everything was going fine until you nonessentials got paroled"

It's funny until you realise that many of the non-essentials seem still not very essential... Or maybe I've just been reading 'Bullshit Jobs'.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »
Oh for sure, it just gave me a misanthropic chuckle

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with a misanthropic chuckle. What the hell else can you do when you're surrounded by this frickin species? Honestly, I cannot fathom how we became dominant.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
Nothing wrong with a misanthropic chuckle. What the hell else can you do when you're surrounded by this frickin species? Honestly, I cannot fathom how we became dominant.

Thumbs.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 12:55:32 PM »
Raccoons have just been waiting for their moment

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »
Raccoons have just been waiting for their moment

Raccoons are pretty good at things, probably they are our successors.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »

How can you be misanthropic and pro-lockdown at the same time? If you're misanthropic, aren't you in favor of just letting the virus run its course?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »
Anna contains multitudes

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 01:27:06 PM »

Thumbs.

That made me laugh. And the get depressed because it's probably true.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 01:29:20 PM »

How can you be misanthropic and pro-lockdown at the same time? If you're misanthropic, aren't you in favor of just letting the virus run its course?

I don't want to deal with humans. Sure, that would be one result of them all being dead. I'm not gonna lie, it's appealing. But there are other options, like them staying the fuck away from me.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
There's a special place in hell for people who dog-ear the pages of library books, and those who eat messily while reading library books.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 02:00:09 PM »
You’re only sick of people today?  You have a lot more tolerance than me.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 02:47:12 PM »

I don't want to deal with humans.

I understand your sentiment.

I want to deal with humans only when I want to which is why I like living up On Cloud Nine.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 02:58:02 PM »

Thumbs.

Now and then  I think of a goodly proportion of my fellow humans as "all thumbs" vis-à-vis life in general.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »

Thumbs.

Misanthropy is my default setting.  I agree...it's the thumbs.  Although, bacteria, and to some degree ants, actually run things in most ways.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 06:07:35 PM »

Thumbs.

Misanthropy is my default setting.  I agree...it's the thumbs.  Although, bacteria, and to some degree ants, actually run things in most ways.

I heard an argument that wheat has actually domesticated us, and thereby made itself the dominant plant species on the planet. Same probably holds true for cats, which apparently aren't domesticated from a genetic standpoint. They basically just moved in when they observed what our thumbs could do - lovely fire, available food, blankies and pats.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

Thumbs.

I heard an argument that wheat has actually domesticated us, and thereby made itself the dominant plant species on the planet. Same probably holds true for cats, which apparently aren't domesticated from a genetic standpoint. They basically just moved in when they observed what our thumbs could do - lovely fire, available food, blankies and pats.

Not to mention dogs.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 06:27:25 AM »

Thumbs.

Not to mention dogs.

I have some very good friends that are dogs

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 09:22:44 AM »

Thumbs.

Not to mention dogs.

My community garden is in a park, lots of people walk their dogs there.  I have made a bunch of new friends lately.  Their people have been nice too.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »

I have it on good authority that humans are only the third most intelligent species on Earth, behind dolphins and mice.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »

Thumbs.

Not to mention dogs.

My community garden is in a park, lots of people walk their dogs there.  I have made a bunch of new friends lately.  Their people have been nice too.

Yeah, that's the problem with making dog friends, you've got to deal with their people!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 06:40:38 PM »
I for one enjoy my daily walks.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
It gets worse when you remember how many of them vote (depressing both if it is a lot or a few of them, though for different reasons) and whom they elect.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:57 PM »
Ran to the grocery store with DH tonight, because I needed a few things for his lunches, and mmm, ice cream. The guy in front of us at the checkout had a red bandanna tied around his neck. It wasn't covering his nose or his mouth. If I hadn't been with DH, who is more of a pacificist wiser than me, I definitely would have said something. As it was, I settled for apologizing to the cashier. You know, the guy who wears two masks and always works the checkstand closest to the entrance so his colleagues don't have to be as cold/hot, the guy who has a blown-out knee and needs crutches to get around but continues to work anyway, and who always has a kind word for everyone. Yeah, that guy. And the asshat with the bandanna was totally fucking clueless. I'm not even sure he had opposable thumbs. I was definitely sick of that guy today.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 08:49:55 AM »

Thumbs.

i've heard it was sod. so many people will do anything to have a great looking lawn.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 05:14:20 PM »

Thumbs.

i've heard it was sod. so many people will do anything to have a great looking lawn.

Once upon a time, a lawn was a sign of enormous wealth. You could afford to have land sitting there unused and not generating income.  We're just about back to those days. I sometimes wonder how many people went bankrupt in the past because they insisted on displaying a lawn. Not so different now.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »

Thumbs.

Once upon a time, a lawn was a sign of enormous wealth. You could afford to have land sitting there unused and not generating income.  We're just about back to those days. I sometimes wonder how many people went bankrupt in the past because they insisted on displaying a lawn. Not so different now.
Conspicuous consumption has many forms. A shaven piece of grass seems like a pretty boring way to do it compared to a sports car or nice clothes.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »

Thumbs.

Conspicuous consumption has many forms. A shaven piece of grass seems like a pretty boring way to do it compared to a sports car or nice clothes.

It's not good to put your vegetable garden over your leach field, or plant perrenials or trees or anything with deep roots. Only really good reason for a lawn.  Or for kids to play on, of course, kick a soccer ball around, that sort of thing.

My conspicuous consumption lawn is the one that is only grass, green all summer (watered) and cut short.  My ideal lawn has about 15-20 different species, is cut long, and cutting is based on not disturbing the bees.  This describes every lawn I've ever owned.   ;-)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »

Thumbs.

Several hundred years ago, clothing was SO expensive that it was cheaper to have a castle and acres of pleasure garden than new clothing. There was a phrase about 'wearing your fortune on your back' that was used about people with title, properties and serfs!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 04:19:29 PM »

Thumbs.

Several hundred years ago, clothing was SO expensive that it was cheaper to have a castle and acres of pleasure garden than new clothing. There was a phrase about 'wearing your fortune on your back' that was used about people with title, properties and serfs!

A Kazakh friend of mine once told me that, in her tribe, men had the right to divorce their wives at a whim. At that point the woman had to leave the family home (a tent, actually, since they were nomads) with nothing but the clothes on her back. The women retaliated by punching a hole in every coin or piece of currency they could get and sewing the coins to their clothing. The result was basically a really neat-looking, jingling dress that also contained most of the family savings. That really was wearing a fortune.

In the same tribe, in the old days a woman wasn't eligible to marry until she'd killed an enemy in battle. My mom asked what the men had to do to be eligible to marry. "Nothing, as usual." Zina replied.

I haven't been able to verify any of these stories independently but they are pretty entertaining.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
There's a special place in hell for people who dog-ear the pages of library books, and those who eat messily while reading library books.

Just keep telling yourself that brown or orange smear is food

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 07:39:43 AM »

Just keep telling yourself that brown or orange smear is food

Shhh. Ignorance is bliss.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 12:12:16 PM »
Bring back lockdown.
The way I feel today, I may never venture out of the Journal section again.  Of course then I would not be seeing this thread, but everything has a price.   ;-)

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:52 PM »

I have it on good authority that humans are only the third most intelligent species on Earth, behind dolphins and mice.

It's true, keep an eye on the dolphins:
https://www.theonion.com/dolphins-evolve-opposable-thumbs-1819565718
"I believe I speak for the entire human race when I say, 'Holy fuck,'" said Oceanographic Institute director Dr. James Aoki, noting that the dolphin has a cranial capacity 40 percent greater than that of humans. "That's it for us monkeys."

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
Look the only reason to have people is so they got to work and spend all their money (and more).

This is what pays stock market dividends and keeps me in the lifestyle I have become accustomed to..

..I.e laying on the couch by myself..:)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2020, 06:49:28 AM »

Thumbs.

A Kazakh friend of mine once told me that, in her tribe, men had the right to divorce their wives at a whim. At that point the woman had to leave the family home (a tent, actually, since they were nomads) with nothing but the clothes on her back. The women retaliated by punching a hole in every coin or piece of currency they could get and sewing the coins to their clothing. The result was basically a really neat-looking, jingling dress that also contained most of the family savings. That really was wearing a fortune.

In the same tribe, in the old days a woman wasn't eligible to marry until she'd killed an enemy in battle. My mom asked what the men had to do to be eligible to marry. "Nothing, as usual." Zina replied.

I haven't been able to verify any of these stories independently but they are pretty entertaining.

I have some Indians friends. In their community, especially amongst the older generations, it's a status symbol for the men to have a wife that does not work outside the home, and who wears a LOT of gold jewellery. It shows that the man has wealth. That amuses the crap out of me. I mean, was that a male idea or a female one??? lol

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2020, 09:19:15 AM »
The non working Wife was very much a status thing with my Dad back in the UK. Maybe thats an unfortunate "value" we exported to India perhaps?

A few years ago my Dad told me that if he made what I did, then his Wife would not only not work she would be driving around in a brand new 2 seat Lexus convertible!

I found this a curious statement because I have always been something of a tightwad whereas my Parents spent everything they had.

Of course I noted in reply the fact that I have not spent all our money on a non working spouse (and toys) is the very reason I could buy a fleet of Lexus cars.. with cash!..:)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2020, 01:09:13 PM »

I have some Indians friends. In their community, especially amongst the older generations, it's a status symbol for the men to have a wife that does not work outside the home, and who wears a LOT of gold jewellery. It shows that the man has wealth. That amuses the crap out of me. I mean, was that a male idea or a female one??? lol

One of my older friends is a sage Jewish matron.

She told me that lots of bejeweled women are showoffs who wear their jewelry so that other women  can see it.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »

Well that too! But in this particular community it is definitely about male status. The older men will not allow their wives to leave the house without lashings of gold, haha.

I think there's a similar case in many places where menstruating women are banished to a hut, and cannot wash items or cook. Oh really? A once a month holiday for the entire menstruating community?? Sounds good to me. I know people say it's a myth that women's periods sync, but I would venture to suggest that none of those people have attended an all-female school. Women are unclean after birth and must wait for a purifying ceremony before resuming marital and cooking duties? Oh really? Sounds frickin great, hahahaha

One of my older friends is a sage Jewish matron.

She told me that lots of bejeweled women are showoffs who wear their jewelry so that other women  can see it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
Lately, I find myself really fighting the thought that all those who don't want to wear masks, socially distance, etc that fine. They can just get sick then. And we're not sending them to the hospital. They can stay at home, since it's "just the flu" or a "hoax", "no big deal".

Yes, I live in an area with a bunch of Trumpers.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 07:35:56 PM »
Lately, I find myself really fighting the thought that all those who don't want to wear masks, socially distance, etc that fine. They can just get sick then. And we're not sending them to the hospital. They can stay at home, since it's "just the flu" or a "hoax", "no big deal".

Yes, I live in an area with a bunch of Trumpers.

So do we.

The tradesmen mostly lean Trumper so they don't take covid seriously.  So much so that we're getting out of the renovating houses business simply so I don't have to risk my life to hire someone to fix something.   We'll keep the existing rentals we have but won't be getting any new ones until this covid mess is under control.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »
Today I dislike all the people.

(Except for you all. You all are okay.)

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »

Thumbs.

Neanderthals also had thumbs and larger brains and were more muscular.  But a lot of their brain was dedicated to spatial reasoning and eyesight and a lot of our brain is language and communication and we were a lot more aggressive.

So just imagine an introverted Neanderthal alone enjoying nature and us plotting together on how to all gang up together and ambush him and kill him, and you've got it. 

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »

We're not dominant! Ants have more biomass and individuals if you're talking animals, ants can also recognize themselves in mirrors. Trees of all sorts beat us too.... for now.... unless we burn/cut em all down....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »

We're not dominant! Ants have more biomass and individuals if you're talking animals, ants can also recognize themselves in mirrors. Trees of all sorts beat us too.... for now.... unless we burn/cut em all down....

We are a keystones species, in that we modify our environment in ways that affect many other species.  Just like elephants maintain Savannah and alligators maintain deep pools where fish find refuge in a dry season, beaver create ponds which regulate drainage systems and water flow .  But we've taken it to an extreme.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »

We are a keystones species, in that we modify our environment in ways that affect many other species.  Just like elephants maintain Savannah and alligators maintain deep pools where fish find refuge in a dry season, beaver create ponds which regulate drainage systems and water flow .  But we've taken it to an extreme.

I think we're more like termites, which eat down the house they live in.....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 06:51:11 AM »

I think we're more like termites, which eat down the house they live in.....

Lots of species destroy their habitats.  Basically all the scavengers and decomposers.  But their habitats are ephemeral and new ones are constantly showing up.  We have a good human history of this: start farming in a valley, start cutting the hillsides, watch your soil erode and go downstream or blow away, move to a new area.  We've run out of new areas and we don't have lots of new planets to easily move to.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 12:01:21 PM »
:sigh:

Had a doctor's appt at a specialist's office today. Office is part of huge University medical facility, in a city of well over 100,000 people.  Signs on every door and every surface that if you don't have a mask on or are not wearing your mask correctly, you will be given a mask or asked to leave the premises.

There was a huge delay in appointment time, so I sat there for 2 hours watching the lobby fill up 3 times.  About 1/4-1/3 of the lobby-goers were not wearing a mask or was obviously wearing it incorrectly. The staff did and said nothing. The nurses coming in and out did and said nothing and treated everyone exactly the same. No one offered masks to the maskless, nor asked them to put one on, nor asked anyone to please put their mask over their nose or stop pulling it down to talk to people.

Our town is approaching 8,000 cases of Covid, so it's not like risk is low here.

This is why America is such a clusterfuck.