65 (28%)
Meh -- not a deal breaker if it's in a dish
2 (0.9%)
I try to avoid it
2 (0.9%)
Yuck! It's horrid!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 228

Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 10912 times)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Garlic
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
If a recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic, I put a whole head in. Easily one of my favorite flavors.

One of our favorite "what should we eat for dinner, we don't mind cooking but want comfort food and not a lot of effort?" recipes is buttered noodles.

Cook pasta to al dente. In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick butter, coarse sea salt to taste, fresh cracked black pepper to taste, 1 TBSP each dried oregano and basil, 5-6 cloves finely minced garlic. Combine all ingredients, bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes (more time/temp burns the garlic, which is bad). Pour butter sauce over cooked noodles. Stir, and serve with freshly shredded parmesan cheese (none of that cellulose crap in a cylinder).

lukebuz

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »
I'm also a Garlic Lover - but I'm surprised only 1 person mentioned the smell that results the day after.  I can smell it on my washrag and towel after a shower.  I can smell it if I sweat in the least.  Ooozes out my pores, as said.   Is not everyone effected by this, or is it only some people?

I can only eat it if I think about what's going on the next day, and who I have to work next to (and if I like them...)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 09:00:10 PM »
I'm also a Garlic Lover - but I'm surprised only 1 person mentioned the smell that results the day after.  I can smell it on my washrag and towel after a shower.  I can smell it if I sweat in the least.  Ooozes out my pores, as said.   Is not everyone effected by this, or is it only some people?

I can only eat it if I think about what's going on the next day, and who I have to work next to (and if I like them...)

This only happened to me once, after I ate at a garlic themed restaurant.  Doubling or tripling the garlic in a recipe isn’t really enough

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »

I've never had this happen to me. And I'm the sort to pop a raw garlic clove if I think I'm getting sick. And I put garlic on everything. I'm part of the "costco bag of garlic" club.

(And I doubt it's just me not noticing, I have the sort of very blunt relatives and a couple friends who WOULD say something. Ie, I made a curry one time before visiting my mom and after she hugged me she asked why I smelled like "an old Indian guy". So I'm 100% sure I'd hear about smelling like garlic!)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2018, 03:31:58 PM »
Literally one of my favorite things is when I cook a lot with Garlic, and then smell it on my fingertips later in the day...

This happens a lot as I'm big on crock-pot meals; throw meat, some broth, some garlic, and some veggies in the crock-pot before work, cook rice when you get home and you have a delicious meal. Garlic flavor included...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
I just made this roasted tomato dish that called for 4 cloves of garlic. Hahaha, we put in at least 8 ounces! Love that dish. It is sliced tomatoes, basil, olive oil, Italian spices and garlic. Roasted. Then poured over 1 lb precooked spaghetti and fresh sliced mozzarella! OMG, to die for! The recipe calls for fresh tomatoes but I bought San Marzano whole canned tomatoes (28 oz). Used 3 cans and sliced them up before baking! This thing made a humongo amount and we are having it again tonight for leftovers! Nom, Nom! DROOL!

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
Voted "I like it".

Gotta say that at first I thought this thread was a continuation of the "dealing-with-a-smelly-coworker" one:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/dealing-with-a-smelly-coworker/

I have been at my job for 15 years.  I am currently in school full time and will be making a career change once finished in one year.  I am a dental hygienist in a large practice.  I am in people’s mouths all day and feel I have a pretty high tolerance for unpleasant odors.  The lab technician (who fabricates crowns, dentures, etc) is an outside contractor and has been in our office for about 7 years.  For the last year, he has been smelling increasingly more like raw garlic.  If I am within 10 feet of him, my nose burns and eyes water.  I can smell when he has arrived for the day even before I have seen him.  A coworker tried to delicately tell him.  He admitted to eating several raw cloves of garlic per day for the health benefits, but did not believe her when she said that the smell was permeating the office.  My operatory is located directly next to his lab, and the smell has become unbearable.  We have several operatories on one side of the office which is where the doctors and most of the hygienists work.  The other side is where his lab is plus a few operatories, mine included.  I am often the only staff member over there.  Patients make a face when I bring them back to seat them but have been too polite to say anything (they probably think I smell).  It is to the point where I now get daily headaches while working and feel nauseous.  Other coworkers say “I don’t know how you stand it.  I feel sick going over there for 2 minutes.”  I have brought this to the attention of the doctors and the office manager.  All agree it’s a problem except the doctor who owns the practice who claims he can’t smell it.  Recently a coworker placed a plug-in air freshener, but the lab tech got rid of it claiming he is allergic to it.  But honestly the air freshener made for a more disgusting smell combo. 
[...]

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
It probably depends on people's body chemistry. There are some people who smell just like the food they ate, other people not so much. I like garlic but I haven't gotten any comments from others about smell like garlic.
I was talking to my Dad (who is Greek) teasing about everyone eats garlic and do people complain of someone's garlic breath, and he said "no, because everyone eats garlic so no one notices". I don't know if that's true or not.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
I absolutely love garlic but one thing I have learned is that less is more when making pesto. It can really overpower the basil, pine nuts and cheese flavors.

But roasting a chicken? I'll put tons around the bird, along with fennel, carrots, lemon and onions.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
I'm growing an heirloom strain of garlic I got from a guy at the farmers' market.  It is really easy to grow and is the most cold-hardy thing I've had in my garden.  The only tricky part is timing harvesting and curing it.   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
I'm growing an heirloom strain of garlic I got from a guy at the farmers' market.  It is really easy to grow and is the most cold-hardy thing I've had in my garden.  The only tricky part is timing harvesting and curing it.

The more ancient garlicks provide more protection against vampires

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »

The more ancient garlicks provide more protection against vampires

Yes, some of the newer strains are bred for those who have issues with vampiric garlic intolerance. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!