Author Topic: Game of Thrones is back!!  (Read 29715 times)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
Game of Thrones is back!!
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:48:13 AM »
Any fellow fans? This strikes me as a good place to talk about the show, as it's only on for like six weeks, so the thread wouldn't last too long, and I prefer in-depth analysis and back and forths with a handful of devoted fans instead of the "drive-by/meme" comments of social media.

Just a few topics we could discuss revving up to Sunday's episode!

Predictions for this season?
Umm...lots of deaths, including some fan favorites, and a lot of sacrifices. I think either Brienne or Jamie will die, perhaps either sacrificing themselves for the other, which I hate because I love them both as characters. I also think either Grey Worm or Missandei will bite it, as they can't let many, or any, "couples" make it through intact. I think Jon Snow will end up ruling (simply because he's the one who doesn't want it). Oh and Hound kills Mountain, perhaps after Mountain kills/almost kills Arya, who is coming to get him? OMG a Hound/Arya team-up taking down the Mountain would be an epic scene.

If you could, who would you give plot armor to?
Tyrion, Sam, Brienne, Jamie

Of all the characters, who would make the best ruler? (Even among those who don't legitimately have a chance to rule
Jon Snow has already had to make tough decisions, so him. But also perhaps Tyrion, or even Brienne (lol I could write fan fiction in a spin off where she rules, with Jamie as her hand, which yes is ironic)

Who do you think will end up on the throne, if anyone?
Jon Snow, but I'm sure there will be a swerve or three.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:49:52 AM by Nick_Miller »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Game of Thrones is back!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:08 AM »
We’re fans, and very excited for the last season.

I think Jamie will die. Maybe at the hands of Cersei.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
We’re fans, and very excited for the last season.

I think Jamie will die. Maybe at the hands of Cersei.

Noooooooooooo!

But..um yes that could happen.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
I'm pumped.  I usually wait for the end of the season and binge all 10 episodes.  Not sure if I will be able to restrain myself with this season.  I've been rewatching some of the season after a director/actor mention to pay attention to foreshadowing in the first season.  I think I caught some interesting ones so we'll see how they play out.

To me, Arya has the best storyline.  How can you beat her cool assassin abilities

A part of me thinks the Mountain will kill the hound, with arya killing the mountain.  The Hound could have a bigger part to play, some fan theories think he is Azor Ahai, but this could also be Jon.  if Arya dies, i'm not sure what I will do.

Arya, Tyrion

Of all the characters, who would make the best ruler? (Even among those who don't legitimately have a chance to rule
Tyrion would be the best ruler.  He's already shown that, but I think it will be always as a Hand, not the king.
Jon is a bit to Ned like, which I feel wouldn't work out the best ruling Westeros.
Danaerys is a conqueror, I'm not sure how she would do ruling.  And the Dragons create an issue once peace has settled (if possible)

A part of me thinks no one will.  The show will end with Westeros in ruins and nothing left to rule.  Martin likes to throw twists in though, so it's hard to predict what might happen.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
I'm so excited for this. My favourite character is Arya, but I'm not sure that she will survive. But I do think she's going to take down someone important. I want Jon to rule, but as much as I think it would be cool for him and Daenerys to rule together, it seems unlikely. I hope Cersei dies and Jamie lives,  along with Brienne. Tyrion would be a good hand too.
I think the dragons might all die, since now they have to fight each other, and that would be the end of dragons for a while. Or they will lay eggs.
Whatever happens, I'm sure characters I like will be killed by ones I don't like and that the twists will surprise me. Should be fun to watch regardless.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:20 AM »
Jamie dying would be the natural conclusion of his redemption arc.

They’ll probably have Hound “kill” Mountain tho I don’t think there’s any dramatic tension left in that arc since Mountain is already dead.

Your other three faves are probably safe.

Honestly, the logical narrative arcs for every character are complete. Big swerves now would just be contrarian. I’d be really (pleasantly) surprised if they pulled one off without it feeling like the fulfillment of a meme.

Ending with anything other than:
-beating the Walkers
-Jon/Dany as co-rulers
-Tyrion as Hand/lord of Casterly Rock
-Sansa as lady of Winterfell
-Brienne being awesome somewhere
-Cersei dying

would be a narrative disappointment. I hope they stay the course now rather than throwing it away because “surprises are what GoT is known for!”. Given how S7.1 was structured it seems like the show runners understand this but ya never know.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 09:18:07 AM »
Jamie dying would be the natural conclusion of his redemption arc.

They’ll probably have Hound “kill” Mountain tho I don’t think there’s any dramatic tension left in that arc since Mountain is already dead.

Your other three faves are probably safe.

Honestly, the logical narrative arcs for every character are complete. Big swerves now would just be contrarian. I’d be really (pleasantly) surprised if they pulled one off without it feeling like the fulfillment of a meme.

Ending with anything other than:
-beating the Walkers
-Jon/Dany as co-rulers
-Tyrion as Hand/lord of Casterly Rock
-Sansa as lady of Winterfell
-Brienne being awesome somewhere
-Cersei dying

would be a narrative disappointment. I hope they stay the course now rather than throwing it away because “surprises are what GoT is known for!”. Given how S7.1 was structured it seems like the show runners understand this but ya never know.

I wouldn't say they would throw away the storylines just because everyone expects a twist. That'd be lazy writing.  If they are good writers the twists will make the story line stronger and better.  If it follows the "logical narrative" as you laid out that'd be pretty boring.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
If I were writing this thing:  Arya will take down Cercei and Jamie will witness it and choose not to intervene. 

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
I binged all the previous seasons in a couple months' time earlier this year.  I'm pumped for the new/last season, but get the episodes from my husband's work friend, so I won't be up to date as the new episodes come out.

Jon Snow is my man!  Also like Arya (reminds me of a much braver me as a child), and Brienne, and Tyrion, of course, but I wouldn't like him for a ruler.  He's thoughtful, but makes bad decisions, too.

I'd love to see Brienne end up with that red-haired wildling that has the hots for her (is his name Ermund?).  He seems to be attracted to her for exactly who she is, and not despite of who she is.  I really like that.

There's a good forum for folks who like to discuss their favorite TV shows.  Here's the link to the GOT section:
https://forums.previously.tv/forum/196-game-of-thrones/

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:39:11 AM »
If I were writing this thing:  Arya will take down Cercei and Jamie will witness it and choose not to intervene.

Ooh. Interesting.

Except in spite of everything, he loves her completely. More than she loves him, for sure.

I can't imagine him not intervening. Or if he manages not to, he won't be able to live with himself, so he'll have to go on a suicide attack against the walkers.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
I bet everyone realizes that the real game of thrones was the friends they made along the way.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
If they are good writers the twists will make the story line stronger and better. 

Sure, easy to say that. My point was at stage in the game -essentially the end of Act 3- I’m struggling to envision a twist, especially one involving our principal characters, that makes things “stronger and better”.

If it follows the "logical narrative" as you laid out that'd be pretty boring.

It would? Just having an enormous battle against the undead with aerial dragon fighting would be boring? We’ve only got 6 episodes here. Roughly speaking, 1 to resolve Cersei, 1 to screw around with Theon, 1 to rally everyone together, probably 2 full episodes of battle followed by a full episode of denouement. Not a lot of runway left for narrative realignment.

If I can get to a keyboard I’ll write a longer piece on why I think additional character deaths (beyond Cersei/Jaime) would serve little purpose but for now I’ll just say I’d be happy to be surprised in a few weeks.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »
If they are good writers the twists will make the story line stronger and better. 

Sure, easy to say that. My point was at stage in the game -essentially the end of Act 3- I’m struggling to envision a twist, especially one involving our principal characters, that makes things “stronger and better”.

If it follows the "logical narrative" as you laid out that'd be pretty boring.

It would? Just having an enormous battle against the undead with aerial dragon fighting would be boring? We’ve only got 6 episodes here. Roughly speaking, 1 to resolve Cersei, 1 to screw around with Theon, 1 to rally everyone together, probably 2 full episodes of battle followed by a full episode of denouement. Not a lot of runway left for narrative realignment.

If I can get to a keyboard I’ll write a longer piece on why I think additional character deaths (beyond Cersei/Jaime) would serve little purpose but for now I’ll just say I’d be happy to be surprised in a few weeks.

Yes.  The cinematics of that part of the story are going to be great and it would conclude the story, but it's predictable.  I'd bet (maybe I'm hoping) the landscape of westeros will be vastly different, with people we don't expect living and dying.  Hell, Cersei might even win, which could be interesting.  Or Bronn might be the only one left alive.

I wouldn't be disapointed if the White Walkers won.  Based on exisiting knowledge we have as viewers, they should win.  A tireless and nearly endless army lead by super strength leaders.  They've shown they can handle dragons and even have one of their own now.  But there have been clues to other sources of magic etc that could help the living win.

Bran is going to play an interesting role and I really have no Idea how its going to come into play.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
The ending should be a battlefield littered with dead humans, ice zombies, dragons, etc., and there stands Bronn and he says, "Who the f is gonna pay me?"

End credit.

Or...

The ending should be a battlefield littered with dead humans, ice zombies, dragons, etc., and there stands Brienne and no one else is alive, but then, out from a pile of bodies stands Tormund and he gives her that look and she's like, "Well....alright then."

Or...

Cersei is on the verge of winning and she captures Jamie and he's in her room and they banter, and somehow he gets free and he pushes her out the window, connecting the finale with the first episode where Jamie does that to Bran.

Or...

Okay I could do this all day. I am a big deal in the writing world.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 10:31:47 AM »
Bran is going to play an interesting role and I really have no Idea how its going to come into play.

This. Hard to see how the living can defeat the dead in any conventional way. Bran's the only one who can turn things ultra-unconventional.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
I saw a spoiler video on YouTube that seemed so likely, I would be surprised if the season doesn't go almost exactly  the way it was described.  And Bran was the key.

(I  wish I hadn't seen the spoiler. I had assumed it was going to be just a bunch of made up BS.)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
Cersei dies by one of her brothers.

The witch, in the books, told her this when she was a child. She said a "little brother" would kill her and Cersei assumed it would be Tyrion. Jamie, however, is also her younger brother.

Maggy the Frog also told Cersei that another, younger and more beautiful, would take all that she holds dear. That would be Daenerys.

(Maggy told Cersei that she would have 3 children, who would die early, and the King would have 20. This came true.)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 11:16:46 AM »
I've thought more than once that the end would be a hellscape with the White Walkers defeated, but Cersei on the throne of a kingdom of ashes.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
Oh so many. D&D were given the broad strokes from GRRM, so I don't expect the ending to match the books, but I have high hopes for some of the prophesy:

- Brienne/Jamie and Sandor will take down The Mountain (A golden knight and a man with the head of a hound facing a foe full of black blood)
 - Jon and Dany end up together with Tyrion as hand (the dragon has three heads), even if they don't all survive
 - Drogon will slay wight Viserion with fire, mirroring Drogo killing Viserys
 - Jamie will kill Cersei (the valonquar prophesy)
 - Some tinfoil: The "Night King" (different than in the books) is actually Bran from the future, who wargs into the First Man the children turned at the time of the ritual that created the White Walkers, where he gets stuck and eventually goes mad; this is why the Night King is so attuned to Bran, they are one

Tyrion (he is GRRM in the story) and Jon (who is literally the Song of Ice and Fire [R+L=J, with R being a talented musician])

Of all the characters, who would make the best ruler? (Even among those who don't legitimately have a chance to rule)
Jon with Tyrion as hand

Not sure if anyone will. Dany had a vision of walking through the Red Keep, which was roofless, while white powder fell all around her. This could either be ash or snow. Either way I believe the throne will be destroyed somehow.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 01:19:02 PM »
I just binge rewatched 7 episodes of season 4 today. That’s the season where Joffrey is killed and the mountain crushes Oberyn’s head. I’ll rewatch the rest of the season tomorrow. On Monday night I’m having friends over for a season premiere pizza and beers evening.

Sansa was really lame in the first 3 seasons but has been growing into a powerful player. I wouldn’t mind seeing her make a few big power moves early in season 8, which Dany sees as a threat to her. It’d be awesome if this led to Dany killing Sansa and Arya then killing Dany. Jon is left to rule Westeros alone with Tyrion as hand at his side.....

I see this as a zero % chance of happening as the whole show is about powerful women, so it would be really odd to kill them all off at the end.

I am really keen to see what becomes of Varys. With Baelish dead I’d expect Varys to make a big power move as he has to at some point which probably sees him dead.

The hound has to kill the mountain. Please!!!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
A part of me thinks no one will.  The show will end with Westeros in ruins and nothing left to rule.  Martin likes to throw twists in though, so it's hard to predict what might happen.

The army of the dead could easily win, presenting some sort of parable for cooperation or good governing.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »

The army of the dead could easily win, presenting some sort of parable for cooperation or good governing.

To the extent that the show is a parable for climate change... Yep.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
Oh so many. D&D were given the broad strokes from GRRM, so I don't expect the ending to match the books, but I have high hopes for some of the prophesy:

- Brienne/Jamie and Sandor will take down The Mountain (A golden knight and a man with the head of a hound facing a foe full of black blood)
 - Jon and Dany end up together with Tyrion as hand (the dragon has three heads), even if they don't all survive
 - Drogon will slay wight Viserion with fire, mirroring Drogo killing Viserys
 - Jamie will kill Cersei (the valonquar prophesy)
 - Some tinfoil: The "Night King" (different than in the books) is actually Bran from the future, who wargs into the First Man the children turned at the time of the ritual that created the White Walkers, where he gets stuck and eventually goes mad; this is why the Night King is so attuned to Bran, they are one

Tyrion (he is GRRM in the story) and Jon (who is literally the Song of Ice and Fire [R+L=J, with R being a talented musician])

Of all the characters, who would make the best ruler? (Even among those who don't legitimately have a chance to rule)
Jon with Tyrion as hand

Not sure if anyone will. Dany had a vision of walking through the Red Keep, which was roofless, while white powder fell all around her. This could either be ash or snow. Either way I believe the throne will be destroyed somehow.
Your tinfoil is right along the lines of the spoiler I saw. I think it is very likely to go down that way (Jon having to kill him to save everyone else).

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
I'm not convinced Khaleesi will survive.  The last 3 seasons have built up to her 'taking' the Iron Throne.  It's not Martin's style to follow the usual path.

I'm most excited for Brandon's role.  'You'll never walk again, but you will fly'.  I hope this is a reference to Brandon warging into a dragon rather than the ravens he's been using to spy on the army of the dead. 

I'm going to be so upset when all this is over. :')

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
If I have to pick one, I'll go with the Night King. He has the focus, drive, and logic to defeat the petty humans. I mean, they're actually killing each other for him! Bonus that he can revive the dead for his army.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 06:25:43 PM »

I'm most excited for Brandon's role.  'You'll never walk again, but you will fly'.  I hope this is a reference to Brandon warging into a dragon rather than the ravens he's been using to spy on the army of the dead. 

Ooh. Good point. He could warg into the dragon that was taken by the Night King, as a kamikaze mission!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 07:08:37 PM »
How is everyone watching GOT this season?  HBO Now ap?

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:11 AM »
Either Jon or Dany has to die.  I just can't see an ending where both of them live.

Also: OMGOMGOMGOMG GoT is back!!! 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »
One hell of a TV show. I’m a big fan.

Just about to rewatch the episode with my DW.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 08:34:24 AM »
Despite having read the books and watched the tv show,  DH totally forgot Tyrion and Sansa are married (or were, actually can't remember if that was resolved) when they first met last night.  Also, it had never even occurred to me that Jamie would have to face Bran at some point.

My god, I'm kind of glad this is finally wrapping up. I started reading this series TWENTY YEARS AGO (and that was several years after publication), Martin is never going to finish the books, and I can't believe the series itself has been airing since 2011. It's exhausting and I just want some closure LOL.

ETA: What is it with production companies deciding to adapt epic series that aren't even finished? Rothfuss' series is all set to film as a movie AND a tv series (WTF?), and I'm starting to be suspicious the author isn't going to finish that trilogy either.  Why not adapt Sanderson? At least he is a reliable writer with some completed material. Or some of Guy Kay's amazing stuff. :grumble grumble:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:39:32 AM by wenchsenior »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »

I just cruise the internet.  You'll get enough spoilers from people talking about the show that you know exactly what happened.  :P

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
I was a little underwhelmed by the premiere. 7/10.

Yes, it was good to see everyone again, and I know they had to move the chess pieces around a bit, but I was hoping for a little bit of forward momentum. I do like that they ended the episode with the dead on the move quickly. I would expect some sort of epic battle in Episode 3.

I will give an MVP for each of these last 6 episodes.

For Episode 1, my MVP is Arya. I loved her reunion with Jon, I loved her "first I robbed you" line to the Hound, and I loved her awkward flirting with Gendry.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:40 AM »
Despite having read the books and watched the tv show,  DH totally forgot Tyrion and Sansa are married (or were, actually can't remember if that was resolved) when they first met last night.  Also, it had never even occurred to me that Jamie would have to face Bran at some point.

My god, I'm kind of glad this is finally wrapping up. I started reading this series TWENTY YEARS AGO (and that was several years after publication), Martin is never going to finish the books, and I can't believe the series itself has been airing since 2011. It's exhausting and I just want some closure LOL.

I've been on board this train since the publication of A Game of Thrones back in 1996. Still have my first edition copy, complete with it's AWFUL cover art.  ;) I was struggling to get through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time when I picked up AGoT on a whim at my local bookstore. It was exactly what the Fantasy genre needed at the time...the farmboy-rises-up-to-battle-evil-Dark Lord formula had grown tired for me. With this, the "heroes" were often indistinguishable from the "villians". When Tyrion expressed a desire to pee over the edge of the 700ft wall of ice...I knew this was going to be something different in terms of honest portrayal of human motivations. The first 3 books were perfection for me...but then I believe that GRRM succumbed to the temptations of his "celebrity author" status and lost his discipline. I agree that he is unlikely to finish the books. I am quite disappointed that I'm learning about long standing mysteries (Hodor) through the TV show and not the books.

As with most on screen adaptations, there have been some uneven moments - Sandsnakes/Dorne plot lines were terrible IMO - but this shows high moments are probably right up there with anything ever shown on the tube.

Yes, it was good to see everyone again, and I know they had to move the chess pieces around a bit, but I was hoping for a little bit of forward momentum. I do like that they ended the episode with the dead on the move quickly. I would expect some sort of epic battle in Episode 3.

Yep, a very typical opening episode for the series. Now the pieces are in place for the narrative to move forward. The show runners have a TON to get done in the next 5 episodes.

Highlight for me was Bran's ability to weird people out....and... "I'm waiting for an old friend..." *chills*

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »

For Episode 1, my MVP is Arya. I loved her reunion with Jon, I loved her "first I robbed you" line to the Hound, and I loved her awkward flirting with Gendry.

Agree. There were some funny moments, but there wasn't much action. I sort of forgive them, though, because they had to bring so many people together who had either never met before or hadn't seen each other in forever. I tell myself it would have been weird if they'd all just said, "Hey," and started wasting white walkers.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:38 AM »
One hell of a TV show

. I’m a big fan.

Just about to rewatch the episode with my DW.

It is indeed!!

You don't say (;

I was contemplating re-watching these last six twice each just to see if I pick up on anything I missed.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »

Agrred on underwhelmed but still good and you have to start somewhere.

Arya was good. I also liked when John asked if she'd used the sword and she said "once or twice"

Excited for next week!!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:44 AM »
For past season and this episode they have been showing how Dany is overly hungry for the throne. I expect this means things won’t end well for Dany. I look forward to seeing her fall from power..... or not

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 11:00:38 AM »
Mostly posting to follow.

I didn't quite catch it, but I believe the Hound did not see Arya when he rode in.   That's a meeting I'm looking forward to! 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
I keep wondering if Tyrion made some sort of deal with Sersei in the season 7 finale?

1) Tyrion met with Sersei in season 7 finale, and the cameras cut away after he learns of her pregnancy. I think we are to infer that he feels horribly guilty about her kids and doesn't want either her or her unborn child to die. But what did he say that hadn't already been said to get her to, at least on the surface, pledge her troops?

2) Tyrion is the one person standing outside of Jon and Dany's cabin in the Season 7 finale while they uh...bang, and he looks sort of creepy and a bit pensive about something.

3) Even in the Episode 8 premiere, he is telling everyone who will listen that the Lannisters will come help them. Notice that he's the one who said it. Dany and Jon had heard the pledge back in the Season 7 finale and apparently but they didn't mention it to the northerners. Sansa even tells Tyrion he's foolish for believing it.

Did Tyrion give up some sort of info or so something to give Sersei some advantage? I'm not saying "full heel turn," just some sort of unauthorized info.

I guess we'll see when Jamie shows up and confirms no army is coming. Maybe I am reading too much into this notion.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Mostly posting to follow.

I didn't quite catch it, but I believe the Hound did not see Arya when he rode in.   That's a meeting I'm looking forward to!

They met later in the episode.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
PTF haven't seen the latest yet.

Reading some of the comments sounds like the 1st episode doesn't live up to expectations, but how could it after waiting so long!  Reminds me of the Star wars movie series. I really hope the great battle will meet my expectations. Now going to watch ep1 with lower expectations, this might allow me to enjoy it more.   

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Aw yeah.  Season premiere was great.  Lots of satisfying reunions.  Ending was a great mic-drop moment.

HBO Now on PC for us.  Played 100% smoothly despite everyone hammering the HBO servers at the same time, and looked good even on our so-bad 6mbps DSL.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »
I keep wondering if Tyrion made some sort of deal with Sersei in the season 7 finale?

We rewatched the S7 final right before watching the Season 8 premier and I'm with you, Tyrion had to give Cersei something, or at least make her think she's getting something. I do not believe that he would turn on Dany and The North, especially since he really likes Jon, was married to Sansa, and designed Bran's wheelchair and saddle.

"Waiting for an old friend" was amazing. I think that while Dany will want to execute Jamie for his regicide, Jon or Tyrion will suggest that she allow him to take the black. With the last group of Night's Watchmen coming down from the wall, it would be appropriate for him to become the last Lord Commander if something happens to Edd, and it would complete his redemption arc.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »

We rewatched the S7 final right before watching the Season 8 premier and I'm with you, Tyrion had to give Cersei something, or at least make her think she's getting something. I do not believe that he would turn on Dany and The North, especially since he really likes Jon, was married to Sansa, and designed Bran's wheelchair and saddle.

I don't know I wondered that too but part of me just thinks maybe she told him that she'd help just to get him to leave kings landing (and take the dragons and unsullied with him).

Who knows. Defintley excited to see Jamie/Tyrions reunion and how he takes it when he finds out she lied. Curious if he did promise her anything if he would reveal it to Jamie at that time. You'd assume that will happen next week right, with only 5 weeks to go gotta move it on.

No chance Jamie would keep the lie going and say the troops are right behind him??

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 05:37:15 PM »

I don't know I wondered that too but part of me just thinks maybe she told him that she'd help just to get him to leave kings landing (and take the dragons and unsullied with him).

Who knows. Defintley excited to see Jamie/Tyrions reunion and how he takes it when he finds out she lied. Curious if he did promise her anything if he would reveal it to Jamie at that time. You'd assume that will happen next week right, with only 5 weeks to go gotta move it on.

No chance Jamie would keep the lie going and say the troops are right behind him??

I don’t think he promised her anything, I think that he is just naively holding on to the dream that there is a drop of good in her.  She lied to get rid of them al by sending them to be slaughtered by 5e night king.  If Tyrion promised Cersei anything she wanted, why send Bronn north to kill Jamie and Tyrion?

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
If you are a fan of the Netflix reboot of "Queer Eye" (and you should be, it is amazing), then you will be excited to learn that Jonathan has a Funny or Die show where he does peoples hair and recaps the show called "Gay of Thrones".

https://www.funnyordie.com/authors/gay-of-thrones

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2019, 11:06:54 PM »
Ive really enjoyed Sansa character arc and would like her to somehow end up on the throne or maybe as hand of the king/queen

I think Jamie will kill cersei or let someone else do it (as in not stop Arya )

I wasn't hugely impressed with the first episode of this new season, I read somewhere there was a huge battle in episodes 2 and 5 but I dont know if this is accurate.

Characters I want to be alive at the end Arya, Brienne, Tyrion

I would also like to see Brienne and  Tormund get together, though I think she is in love with Jamie.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2019, 06:40:06 AM »
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is probably one of the best episodes ever IMO. More heartfelt reunions and some new meetings, a final calm moment before the end. Dany realizing more and more that you can't just show up. Several references to Sir Duncan the Tall (Jenny of Oldstones, Brienne's knighting). 10/10.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:45:22 AM by Philociraptor »

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2019, 07:16:22 AM »
I concur. I really enjoyed it. All the little moments just raised the stakes for next week even more. Big CGI battles mean nothing without an emotional component behind them. I give this one a 9/10.

That being said, I am sadly prepared for my heart to be ripped out next week, as I anticipate Brienne, Davos, and Grey Worm will all meet their ends in battle. Just a guess, not based on anything other than my watching of last night's episode. Still, I loved every minute of the drinking scene around the fire; most of my favorite characters were there all in one place!

My MVP for this episode: Brienne. Her reaction to being knighted was probably one of my favorite moments in the entire series. True, I think it seals her fate, but it was an epic scene.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:21:56 AM by Nick_Miller »

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
My predictions after these first two episodes:

Jon will die, again, during or just after the great battle but Dany is pregnant with their child

Jamie will survive but with a grievous wound that will not allow him to live long but insists on joining the army as it moves south against his sister.  Brienne cares for him until his death.

Bran will indeed be the key to killing the Night King (love the idea of him warging into the ice dragon!), surviving but being less human than he is now and will retreat north? to seek refuge away from humanity

Cersei, seeing Dany approaching with her one remaining dragon and seeing her people flee her side to join with Dany, burns the Red Keep with wildfire as soon as Dany's army gets inside the city walls

Bronn kills the remaining dragon but that doesn't stop Kings Landing from being overrun/taken back by the Targareon forces

Tyrion, handed the crossbow by Bronn, kills his sister in mercy to keep her from dying in the fire or to finish her off as she lays dying of burns.  He tells Jamie what he did and why before Jamie dies from his wounds

Dany, finding the Iron Throne turned to slag by the fire, returns north to Winterfell to rule from there and raise Jon's child.  Sansa is keeping a close eye on her as the madness that took her grandfather seems to be coming for her.  Arya, pregnant with Robert Baratheon's grandchild, is Dany's hand.  The wheel is set for another round of fights for the Seven Kingdoms with the heirs to the Targareon, Baratheon, and Starks (through Sansa) still around.