Author Topic: Game of Thrones is back!!  (Read 14139 times)

simonsez

• Pencil Stache
Re: Game of Thrones is back!!
« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Dany just had bad stuff happen to her and the people of the city were not involved.

Daenarys has a history of executing people who stand with her enemies - innocence be damned.  You think every 'slaver' who died in her massacres was guilty?  Sure many of them were, but I bet some were just going with the flow and afraid of disobeying the biggest source of power that they had ever known.

Same deal in King's Landing.  The people still there were supporting Cersi.  So they had to die.
Okay, the smallfolk weren't standing with Cersei.  Executing Mossador and the Tarlys, while unnecessary, at least were within her character.  Those people were directly in opposition to her or at least a policy.  Show me one non-court-related citizen of King's Landing that did something to Dany.

Do you think the slavers who were essentially oligarchs in Slaver's Bay are equivalent in Dany's mind to the smallfolk of King's Landing?  My opinion is that is stupid if that's what was going on in Dany's mind.  The slavers were guilty of being slavers.  How were they innocent?  It doesn't matter how good of a person they were or even if their slaves wanted to remain in bondage. 

It'd be one thing if she executed every lord and lady in the Crownlands and even some of the more powerful gentry - this would be in keeping with her history somewhat if she wanted to stretch the meaning of feudalism, but that's not what happened.  She took a hard left turn Ep 5.  Agree to disagree.

Telecaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
Dany just had bad stuff happen to her and the people of the city were not involved.

Daenarys has a history of executing people who stand with her enemies - innocence be damned.  You think every 'slaver' who died in her massacres was guilty?  Sure many of them were, but I bet some were just going with the flow and afraid of disobeying the biggest source of power that they had ever known.

Same deal in King's Landing.  The people still there were supporting Cersi.  So they had to die.

But they weren't supporting Cersi.   They rang the bells, opened the gates, and dropped their weapons.   

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »

But they weren't supporting Cersi.   They rang the bells, opened the gates, and dropped their weapons.

And mostly women and children, who used to be her soft spot. But it's a tv show, it doesn't have to make sense. And maybe everyone wanted to see a big dragon scene so at least we got that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »

I agree with you.  In our eyes, they were giving up and should have been pardoned.  But in Dany's eyes the time for them to make that choice was before the battle started.  That's reasonably consistent with her past actions.  After she decided to massacre the slavers and everyone who stood with them, she didn't take any surrenders.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:03 AM »
You're taking it as gospel that all of the people massacred in the past were all evil slave owners.  I believe a pretty strong case can be made that this probably wasn't the entire truth.

If you want this take I would assert that the show needs to indicate to the audience that previous narration was unreliable. There is nothing in the text or even the subtext to indicate this so ex-post-facto ‘some of the slavers were probably good guys’ headcanon gets zero points from me.

The real crazy thing is that all these medieval lords suddenly start caring about casualties. Massacres in besieged cities was the norm, not the exception.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #305 on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »
She pointed to a whole group of people and said that they were evil slavers, OKing their massacre.

I agree with you, the show didn't indicate to the audience that any of the hundreds of people being massacred were good guys.  My whole argument is that you were being given the story from the dragon ladies point of view.  It makes sense that she's not going to see her actions as wrong.  Even at the end where she was clearly massacring innocents she didn't see her actions as wrong though.