Author Topic: Game of Thrones is back!!  (Read 29728 times)

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Game of Thrones is back!!
« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Dany just had bad stuff happen to her and the people of the city were not involved.

Daenarys has a history of executing people who stand with her enemies - innocence be damned.  You think every 'slaver' who died in her massacres was guilty?  Sure many of them were, but I bet some were just going with the flow and afraid of disobeying the biggest source of power that they had ever known.

Same deal in King's Landing.  The people still there were supporting Cersi.  So they had to die.
Okay, the smallfolk weren't standing with Cersei.  Executing Mossador and the Tarlys, while unnecessary, at least were within her character.  Those people were directly in opposition to her or at least a policy.  Show me one non-court-related citizen of King's Landing that did something to Dany.

Do you think the slavers who were essentially oligarchs in Slaver's Bay are equivalent in Dany's mind to the smallfolk of King's Landing?  My opinion is that is stupid if that's what was going on in Dany's mind.  The slavers were guilty of being slavers.  How were they innocent?  It doesn't matter how good of a person they were or even if their slaves wanted to remain in bondage. 

It'd be one thing if she executed every lord and lady in the Crownlands and even some of the more powerful gentry - this would be in keeping with her history somewhat if she wanted to stretch the meaning of feudalism, but that's not what happened.  She took a hard left turn Ep 5.  Agree to disagree.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
Dany just had bad stuff happen to her and the people of the city were not involved.

Daenarys has a history of executing people who stand with her enemies - innocence be damned.  You think every 'slaver' who died in her massacres was guilty?  Sure many of them were, but I bet some were just going with the flow and afraid of disobeying the biggest source of power that they had ever known.

Same deal in King's Landing.  The people still there were supporting Cersi.  So they had to die.

But they weren't supporting Cersi.   They rang the bells, opened the gates, and dropped their weapons.   

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:54 PM »

But they weren't supporting Cersi.   They rang the bells, opened the gates, and dropped their weapons.

And mostly women and children, who used to be her soft spot. But it's a tv show, it doesn't have to make sense. And maybe everyone wanted to see a big dragon scene so at least we got that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »

I agree with you.  In our eyes, they were giving up and should have been pardoned.  But in Dany's eyes the time for them to make that choice was before the battle started.  That's reasonably consistent with her past actions.  After she decided to massacre the slavers and everyone who stood with them, she didn't take any surrenders.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2019, 07:54:03 AM »
You're taking it as gospel that all of the people massacred in the past were all evil slave owners.  I believe a pretty strong case can be made that this probably wasn't the entire truth.

If you want this take I would assert that the show needs to indicate to the audience that previous narration was unreliable. There is nothing in the text or even the subtext to indicate this so ex-post-facto ‘some of the slavers were probably good guys’ headcanon gets zero points from me.

The real crazy thing is that all these medieval lords suddenly start caring about casualties. Massacres in besieged cities was the norm, not the exception.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #305 on: May 29, 2019, 08:05:54 AM »
She pointed to a whole group of people and said that they were evil slavers, OKing their massacre.

I agree with you, the show didn't indicate to the audience that any of the hundreds of people being massacred were good guys.  My whole argument is that you were being given the story from the dragon ladies point of view.  It makes sense that she's not going to see her actions as wrong.  Even at the end where she was clearly massacring innocents she didn't see her actions as wrong though.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
It's been over 5 months and I still feel bitter about the garbage they passed off as the last season.  I thought that as time went on my anger and disappointment would fade, but it's as intense as ever. 

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2019, 11:49:42 AM »
It's been over 5 months and I still feel bitter about the garbage they passed off as the last season.  I thought that as time went on my anger and disappointment would fade, but it's as intense as ever.

I still get that way about Lost, and it has been years. You learn to live with it :)

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »

I still get that way about Lost, and it has been years. You learn to live with it :)

Saw this topic pop up and was thinking is there going to be another season....maybe a spin off?  Nope guess not. :(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: October 28, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
Carl Drago will forever live on in my heart.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: October 28, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »
I still love Khal Drogo almost as much as Ivan Drago

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #311 on: October 28, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
I still love Khal Drogo almost as much as Ivan Drago

It was definitely Carl, not Khal.

:P

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: October 28, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »

Saw this topic pop up and was thinking is there going to be another season....maybe a spin off?  Nope guess not. :(

There is a prequel that, if not already under production, has at least been cast. It takes place thousands of years before GoT. George RR Martin is involved, but has a different show runner than GoT.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #313 on: October 28, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »

There is a prequel that, if not already under production, has at least been cast. It takes place thousands of years before GoT. George RR Martin is involved, but has a different show runner than GoT.

I am going to boycott anything the showrunners (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss) are involved with.  I understand they're not involved with the spin offs and prequels, but I've also lost interest in all things game of thrones even if they aren't involved. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #314 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »

I am going to boycott anything the showrunners (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss) are involved with.  I understand they're not involved with the spin offs and prequels, but I've also lost interest in all things game of thrones even if they aren't involved.

I pretty much agree. I'm not a purist by any means, and before the final season I couldn't have imagined saying this, but they basically ruined GoT for me. I don't have any interest in revisiting it ever again.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2019, 01:40:39 PM »
I once found the best ice cream flavor in the history of the world. It was a test by the Local Great Ice Cream Company. It had little chocolate balls filled with shockingly delicious cherry liqueur-type stuff, plus chunks of real cherry, plus little chocolate chunks, plus chocolate swirls in a surprisingly good cherry ice cream. Sadly, my opinion was not shared, the flavor disappeared after a few months.

When they offered other flavors, they were not as good. Usually I can resist them. Often I'm not even tempted.

I currently do not expect to try any new GOT-universe drivel. But sometimes, at the last moment, ice cream calleth. So... is winter coming? I do not know.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
The show got steadily worse as D&D ran out of book material to copy. Then the last season took a complete nose dive.  It's been five years since the last book.  Between the wait for the books and the disappointment in the show I'm on the edge of just not caring about the franchise at all anymore.  "Numb" sounds like too strong of a word, but I wonder who else in the fandom has become " I just don't care anymore?"

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #317 on: October 29, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
So the showrunners sped through season 8 so they could go write Star Wars movies. And now they've moved on from Star Wars (before even making a single movie) to work with Netflix. They are basically level hopping, chasing money without caring about the work. No need to ever care about them or their work again.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:14 AM »
The show got steadily worse as D&D ran out of book material to copy. Then the last season took a complete nose dive.  It's been five years since the last book.  Between the wait for the books and the disappointment in the show I'm on the edge of just not caring about the franchise at all anymore.  "Numb" sounds like too strong of a word, but I wonder who else in the fandom has become " I just don't care anymore?"

Me, for one. I'm 100% sure I won't bother to buy the next book when/if it ever comes out. Bleah.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: October 30, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »

Anything to procrastinate on that next book!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #320 on: October 30, 2019, 08:33:30 AM »

FYI this show was indeed cast (Naomi Watts was one of the leads) and a pilot was shot, but apparently HBO didn't like it and has scrapped the whole thing as of a few days ago.  I'm a little surprised by this...the original GoT series and Westworld (HBO's two biggest shows) had notoriously fraught early stages of production, I believe including complete reworks of both pilots and some last minute recasts, so it's not like them to just pull the plug b/c of some bumps in the road. 

Either GoT stock has plummeted, or HBO feels they just have way too much good stuff on their plate right now (ETA: I hope this means His Dark Materials is about to kick ass!) to throw good money after bad.  The network is apparently still pursuing other GoT show possibilities, but I think nothing is on the immediate horizon right now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:37:07 AM by wenchsenior »

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #321 on: October 30, 2019, 08:45:22 AM »

FYI this show was indeed cast (Naomi Watts was one of the leads) and a pilot was shot, but apparently HBO didn't like it and has scrapped the whole thing as of a few days ago.  I'm a little surprised by this...the original GoT series and Westworld (HBO's two biggest shows) had notoriously fraught early stages of production, I believe including complete reworks of both pilots and some last minute recasts, so it's not like them to just pull the plug b/c of some bumps in the road. 

Either GoT stock has plummeted, or HBO feels they just have way too much good stuff on their plate right now (ETA: I hope this means His Dark Materials is about to kick ass!) to throw good money after bad.  The network is apparently still pursuing other GoT show possibilities, but I think nothing is on the immediate horizon right now.

My understanding is that there were several prequels in the works.  This one specifically was about the origin of the white walkers.  No one gives a fuck about the white walkers though.  How could their story be any good given how anticlimactic they ended up being in the show? I mean, who really gives a fuck about their back story? They ended up being a non-story and just got stabbed away by one little girl. 

There are several other prequel shows that are still on the table though, including one about the Targaryens.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »
The Long Night prequel was scrapped, but it looks like the Targaryen prequel is still a go.

And in other news, D&D are no longer associated with Star Wars. Their reasoning is that with their Netflix projects they won't have time.  From what I heard, they rushed the last two seasons of GoT because they wanted to clear their schedules for SW. So much for that...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
skuttlebutt around the internet was that the decision to fire them was made back in May after the finale aired, but kept on the downlow while they shopped around for new deals.  It just wasn't officially announced until their most recent panel.  It seems pretty similar to when someone fucks something up major, then are given the opportunity to resign rather than be fired and humiliated.  They resigned from star wars, but I don't know that they really had an option.  It still boggles my mind that netflix made a $200M deal with them.  You know what would be a much better use of $200M than giving it to those hacks?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »

Me, for one. I'm 100% sure I won't bother to buy the next book when/if it ever comes out. Bleah.

When I do see a preview chapter of Winds of Winter (I think there are 3 or 4 that have been out at various times) it always blows me away. If Martin releases it, it will be fantastic. I almost worry he'll have something that is 90% fantastic and refuse to release it because...perfectionism.

People complaining about the last season of the show probably aren't helping this. The first five seasons were fantastic. Other people criticize the genocide, but I was bothered more by removing Varys, which meant there couldn't be a final shot of him and Peter Dinklage walking away from the camera, bantering in that way that they do which is so fantastic. Something akin to the ending of "Casablanca".

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2019, 10:00:48 AM »

When I do see a preview chapter of Winds of Winter (I think there are 3 or 4 that have been out at various times) it always blows me away. If Martin releases it, it will be fantastic. I almost worry he'll have something that is 90% fantastic and refuse to release it because...perfectionism.

People complaining about the last season of the show probably aren't helping this. The first five seasons were fantastic. Other people criticize the genocide, but I was bothered more by removing Varys, which meant there couldn't be a final shot of him and Peter Dinklage walking away from the camera, bantering in that way that they do which is so fantastic. Something akin to the ending of "Casablanca".

11 Winds chapters have been released over the years, here is that info from the Wiki.

Theon I (included in A World of Ice and Fire under "Excerpts")
Victarion I
Tyrion I (read at Miscon 2012, but no video or transcription was made)
Arianne I (included in A World of Ice and Fire under "Excerpts")
Barristan I (included in A World of Ice and Fire under "Excerpts")
Barristan II (read at Boskone 2013, but no video or transcription was made)
Tyrion II (included in A World of Ice and Fire under "Excerpts" as "Tyrion I")
Mercy (included in A World of Ice and Fire under "Excerpts")
Alayne I
Arianne II
The Forsaken

I don't care what others say, if he finishes Winds (and Dream) I will be beyond excited to read it (them). The end state of the show is supposed to be pretty close to how GRRM intends to end the books, but the way he will get there will be infinitely better than the showrunners' version.