Author Topic: Food Theft at Work  (Read 4986 times)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Food Theft at Work
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
I always bring my lunch to work each day.

Yesterday there was catered food and extra left over after a company-wide meeting.  We were encouraged to take the extras after the end of the meeting.

I made a box and put my name on it and put it in the fridge on my floor.  It was to be my lunch the next day.

Today I didn't bring a lunch and went over to get my stuff and it was gone. Of course since I hadn't packed a lunch i had to go out and buy one.

At first I thought 'maybe an honest mistake'.  Somebody grabbed a container they thought was theirs?

But after talking to a few people, I heard it was not an uncommon occurrence.  Another guy had his stuff taken 3X.  He too thought it was an honest mistake and wrote his name on 4 sides and made it very obvious the next time.  Nope....still taken.  he won't use the fridge anymore.  Looks like I won't either.

Yet a third guy I mentioned it to said 'hey I also lost my lunch the other week!'.

WTF?!  Who steals their co-worker's lunches?  What type of mentality does that take?  Maybe its a 'cleaning crew', but still...taking employees' stuff?  Complete disrespect.

Anyway, I sent a note to our security dept and suggested they at least put a note out.  Maybe they can 'shame' someone into not taking other people's food.

I doubt anything will happen...but that crap ticks me off....I'm also a bit miffed that I had to buy overpriced lunch out somewhere.  :P
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:56:36 PM by Slee_stack »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Food Theft at Work
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
I would definitely seek revenge. Some sort of taste-free laxative powder would do the trick.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
Perhaps unethical, but a coordinated effort to bring many dishes doused in essence of ghost pepper should do.

The one you see sweating profusely and clamoring for milk/water...as our emperor would say..."you're fired."

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
You found one of my pet peeves.  If I had a company, stealing food would definitely be a fireable offense because it shows such a disrespect for your coworkers. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:42:21 PM »
It seems to be a prevalent thing in many office workplaces.  You MUST read this post on Ask A Manager: a coworker stole my spicy food, got sick, and is blaming me and its update.

EDIT:  Also, read this article: Office lunch theft goes viral: It's something 1 in 5 workers admit to doing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:48:35 PM by LeRainDrop »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
This story is pretty gross but true. This was at a factory. Every week and probably on a Friday someone would buy a bunch of donuts and put in the break room.

The jelly or cream filled donuts were getting the jelly/cream sucked out and the donut left behind. Well, these factory guys were hell bent to find out who was doing this and found out. The next donut day these guys stuffed the chocolate cream donuts with ex lax and a LOT! The guy snuck into the break room as his usual and sucked the chocolate cream out of the donuts. About an hour later he was trying to make a bee line to the men's room but somehow they were able to lock the door. Well the next bathroom was way, way down the hallway. The guy was frantic and was running but...disaster struck and he crapped his pants! On top of that these factory workers wore white uniforms! I guess he had a shitty day! I don't think he sucked the donuts anymore either! LOL!

I also saw this funny thing for sale in a catalog. It is a plastic sandwich bag that looks as if it has green mold on the sandwich. https://www.perpetualkid.com/theft-deterrent-moldy-sandwich-bags.html

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »
Roadrunner the plastic faux-mold covered bag is funny, and probably a good deterrant, for one or two days.

People who poison other people because they are convinced their consequence highway is the correct highway are monsters in their own right.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
Roadrunner the plastic faux-mold covered bag is funny, and probably a good deterrant, for one or two days.

People who poison other people because they are convinced their consequence highway is the correct highway are monsters in their own right.

I’d submit that the thief poisoned himself...

CrustyBadger

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »
Label your lunch container "Breast Milk".  No one will touch it.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
Any chance of an over exuberant fridge cleaner in the office?  We had one that would throw away leftovers the day after the meeting.  I used to leave a bag with peanut butter, jelly, and bread (which will keep a LONG time in the fridge) for the times I forgot to take my regular packed lunch. Drove her crazy!

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »
The plant manager at a previous job had their lunch stolen from the communal refrigerator.  That was an interesting internal memo to read.
Sounds like something a food thief would say.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 07:42:58 PM »
Not sure if diarrhea boy knew what hit him. Probably not a good idea to go that route but I am just repeating the story as I heard it.

He was also known for opening other people's lunch boxes and taking out sandwiches and eating them. Sometimes he would only eat a couple of bites and then put it back in the box with two bites missing. This guy deserved what he got. This company had a lot of 'good ol' boys' and he is lucky he didn't end up thrown in the river.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 02:01:17 AM »
Maybe it was the cleaning crew? Food in workplace fridges often keeps being there for ages. Eventually someone needs to throw it away. Maybe you should add a date on it, as well as your name. So that the cleaning person knows it was fresh.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 05:35:42 AM »
Not sure if diarrhea boy knew what hit him. Probably not a good idea to go that route but I am just repeating the story as I heard it.

He was also known for opening other people's lunch boxes and taking out sandwiches and eating them. Sometimes he would only eat a couple of bites and then put it back in the box with two bites missing. This guy deserved what he got. This company had a lot of 'good ol' boys' and he is lucky he didn't end up thrown in the river.

That's just gross.

When my brother was a kid there was a boy who stole his cookies. These were those layered cookies with some chocolate and creamy layer on it. So one day, my mom took off the chocolate layer and put some sambal underneath. We've never seen the reaction and we've never been 100% sure about who was the thief, but his cookies never got stolen anymore.

Minnowstache

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 05:48:16 AM »

Well you would think so but when I was expressing breast milk and storing it in a fridge in a nearly all male office it got stolen more than once!!

Someone even admitted they put it in their tea “by mistake” - it was in a fecking small plastic bag ffs!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 06:16:05 AM »
Maybe it was the cleaning crew? Food in workplace fridges often keeps being there for ages. Eventually someone needs to throw it away. Maybe you should add a date on it, as well as your name. So that the cleaning person knows it was fresh.

+1 The cleaning people can schedule a cleaning day and post it, then do the cleaning all at once, which is so gross for them, then get complaints about what they threw out. OR they can do a little every day and not say anything.

At my last work the fridge was under an intermittent "water" leak from the floor above that did not smell so good. This was in a HOSPITAL! I kept my coffee cream in an executive fridge which was always spotless. And nobody stole anything cuz they didn't have time to eat.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »
This used to happen when I worked for one of the largest US Financial institutions years ago! There were two 'cafes' on each side of the floor with fridges and microwaves and all, and the one near me would always have food stolen out of the fridge. This would be lunches people brought in in the morning, and by lunch, they were stolen. It was a large floor and a lot of people were on it. Understandably people who had their lunch stolen would be very angry and leave notes.

I just couldn't believe this was happening at a US BANK.

I never had anything stolen from me, and I can't imagine even eating someone else's food/leftovers. The germs!  Uggh!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »
Reminds me of the Pinterest posts if fridge notes. My favorite:

“To whomever has been stealing lunches, I’ve placed a few random lunches spiked with laxatives in the fridge. If you eat your own food, you will be fine. If you other people’s food, then good luck.”

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »
Wow, crazy story in that link LeRain!

There's even higher levels of nuttyness out there it seems.

I doubt my lunch was thrown out as there was a ton of other stuff in the fridge when I went looking for it.   Unless 'cleaning' involves complete random throwing out stuff.  Besides the fridge already has a scheduled 'empty all' each month.  Everything gets tossed regardless.

I wouldn't go tainting my food intentionally...just a hassle...but I get the sentiment.  Some people will only learn something the hard way.  If a thief needs to get sick during the process of thieving to learn its not right...so be it.   Don't do the crime if you can't afford the (sick) time.

KTG

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
Yeah I thought of doing something like this, but god knows what would happen if an issue was made of it. Probably grounds for getting fired.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »
Great thread, lots of funnies. There is occasional theft in my office because people will post notes or send mass emails. Some favorites:

One admin had a candy bowl. Someone would surreptitiously take more than politeness dictates. The admin sent out an email shaming the unknown perpetrator and closed it with "if you cannot afford your own candy then you should do without."

One woman had her Hot Pockets stolen and sent out a funny email.

One person did grocery shopping during lunch and someone stole her packaged chicken breasts. She sent out an email asking that the food be returned.

I work in a very professional, high functioning federal agency so it's funny when this stuff happens.

Lastly, one admin complained that someone was stealing the newspaper out of her trash can. She said sometimes she wanted to double back to check something in the paper and it was gone. She didn't get much sympathy - if it's in the trash it's fair game.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
Not the same, but I've had three phone chargers go missing from my (locked) office.

We have at least $50k in camera equipment all neatly packed up in roller cases, but sure, take my fucking iPhone cable.

It drives me bat-shit crazy.

Taylor3386

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »
I’ve never told anyone about this, and 15 years later I still feel badly about it. So here’s my food stealing confession: When I was 21 I found myself in what started as a fun and exciting relationship that within a year became controlling and abusive. I still don’t even know how I let it happen, but there I was. I had a job at call center just outside of the city we lived in that my boyfriend would drop me off in the morning and pick me up later. It was an okay job that paid maybe 12/hr which wasn’t awful in 2003 for someone without a college education. We got paid every two weeks and I remember my checks were around $800 or so. I wanted to save up a few checks and buy a cheap car. Boyfriend seemed on board, but let’s open a joint account so we can Save the cash up in a safe place rather than cashing my check and having real paper money floating around the apartment. Somehow, due to my stupidity and wanting to believe that someone loved me, I let him “handle the money”. I never got my car. I never saw a dime of my paychecks. Very often all out money, because he worked too, would just go to drugs that he started using, or hanging out with his friends. I’m getting to the point regarding the food, I swear.

So he would mostly eat out at fast food places, meaning there wasn’t really any food at the apartment. I don’t know how he thought I ate, but he didn’t ask or notice and I was too nervous(?) to complain because his attitude changed so much when he started taking drugs. I didn’t have access to cash to go buy food and didn’t have my own car to go get food even if I did have a few $. He drove a stick which I had never learned and he didn’t want me to learn on “because I would ruin it”.

So back to work, I was always starving. Like chew your nails hungry. I became so thin over just. A few a few months that you would think I was the one on drugs, which I wasn’t. Before work each day I look at through the apartment for coins I could use in the snack machine. Chex Mix or pop tarts were like a feast if I could come up with a whole dollar!

The boyfriend started to get really lazy about picking me up after work. My shift would end at 5pm and sometimes he wouldn’t come until 6pm, sometimes 8pm. There was a second shift at the call center so they were still open and I hung out on the large break rooms or hid in the ladies rooms. One evening it was almost 9pm and I was starving. It may have been a day or two since I had eaten. I wondered around the unoccupied part of the call center hoping to find coins that someone left out on their desk, or dropped on the floor, but I could find anything. So I stole someone’s sandwich. It was awful and I felt like a total failure and a loser for letting my life turn into that. My family was 1000 miles away and I was too stupid to tell anyone what was happening in my life. I had always been so independent!

A few days after that I found myself stuck at work again, very late, like had been there for 13 hours. I didn’t take anyone’s sandwich, but I took a Slim fast shake that I realized later was probably an actual meal if someone was on the program.

Anyway, I’m sure I will get a lot of hate for this, and I get it. I’m not even sure why I’m posting this, but it feels good to just get it off my chest. I was desperate. And taking a sandwich from a stranger seemed easier than getting out of that relationship, or even starting the fight that would come from me asking my boyfriend for money.

I got out of that a few weeks later by the grace of a quartly bonus check that was handed out as a live check, not a direct deposit. I cashed it on my lunch hour at a branch I could walk to. I week later I was back home with my family 1000 miles away. And my mom cried when she saw how skinny I was. I never told her I was starving, she probably bought it was drugs. Somehow I was less ashamed of her thinking that than knowing the truth.

Any, I’m sure some people steal food because they are assholes, and I’m not saying there is ever a valid e cause for taking something that isn’t yours. I’m just sharing my story.

My life is pretty awesome now.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »

Sweet! 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »
I also saw this funny thing for sale in a catalog. It is a plastic sandwich bag that looks as if it has green mold on the sandwich. https://www.perpetualkid.com/theft-deterrent-moldy-sandwich-bags.html

I used to get my leftovers stolen overnight constantly. It was not a general fridge cleaning, it was only my sandwiches going missing, for weeks on end. A friend bought me those fake mold plastic bags, and the very first time I used one, my sandwich still got stolen. I put the ziploc inside a plastic grocery bag, so that means someone opened up the grocery bag, saw mold, and decided, hey, let's keep investigating, this could be salvageable.

People told me to put ex-lax in there or Elmer's glue in place of mayo, but I was not prepared to injure someone. I started leaving my food in fridges on a different floor and stopped having a problem. And damn, if it was someone like Taylor3386 needing those leftovers, I'm actually glad I could help.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »
Any, I’m sure some people steal food because they are assholes, and I’m not saying there is ever a valid e cause for taking something that isn’t yours. I’m just sharing my story.

There is an asshole in this story, and it isn't you. I am glad you managed to get out of that living hell.

As for food thieves, if you start playing that game, retaliation from victims (which I agree is sometimes overkill, but, who started this?) is part of the rules.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 03:47:14 AM »

Thanks for sharing your story. That must've been a rough time. You shouldn't get any hate for that. Glad you got out of it and managed to turn things around.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:29 AM »

There is an asshole in this story, and it isn't you. I am glad you managed to get out of that living hell.

+1. You did what you had to do to survive.