Author Topic: Flu shot: to get, or not to get? That is the question  (Read 17628 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Flu shot: to get, or not to get? That is the question
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
Chesebert, I'm not sure whom you're asking.  Speaking for myself, I got the regular flu shot that does have small amounts of thimerosal.  I've gotten the regular shot every year for at least 15 years, I would guess.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2016, 11:37:49 PM »
Referring to OP, but in any event I was told by several doctors to get the non-mercury version.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
When I got my flu shot, I made sure to go for a 15 minute jog beforehand, and another 15 minute jog afterward to boost my immune system to insure I would make antibodies.  I also get the quad flu shot that is supposed to work against 4 strains of the flu virus.
Is that true - make more antibodies with before/after exercise?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
I get the flu shot every year. I'm in one of the high risk categories because of type 1 diabetes and the risk of DKA which can be triggered by serious illness such as flu.

I also had chemo last year and ended up in emergency multiple times with fevers, including one admission and being pumped full of antibiotics. Getting sick on chemo is unfun and dangerous thanks to being immunocompromised.

I wish everyone who was able to get the flu vaccine got one every year. That would reduce my risk thanks to herd immunity.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2016, 05:42:00 AM »
From my best available research (sites only available because work pays a shitload of money each year for them, sorry), the stats I can see suggest that 3 people died in the US in 2014-15 from adverse reactions to the flu shot.

In the same period, in the same geographic location, 4,600 people died from influenza itself.

Get the shot. It's a no-brainer.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2016, 06:37:21 AM »
From my best available research (sites only available because work pays a shitload of money each year for them, sorry), the stats I can see suggest that 3 people died in the US in 2014-15 from adverse reactions to the flu shot.

In the same period, in the same geographic location, 4,600 people died from influenza itself.

Get the shot. It's a no-brainer.
Which studies did you look at?  Many people in the US can use interlibrary loan to get these articles.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
FN: I also am surprised how many people on this forum get flu shots for themselves and kids.  I don't know anyone that does and everyone is a college educated professional.  Shingles can be horrible-blindness if you get it in your eye, scars, pain, etc. But if you are allergic to certain meds you can't get the shingles vaccine. For instance, I am allergic to neomycin so can't get it.

Why are you surprised? Even if you were ignorant of the facts before, they have been posted multiple times in this thread already.  It boggles my mind when people are presented with evidence and still deny it.

I also know many college educated professionals (some are legitimately intelligent people) that believe in magic and ghosts, and don't believe in things like vaccines and evolution.   They have completely compartmentalized some beliefs and can't be swayed with things like facts or evidence.

This is actually an interesting phenomenon that occurs in public health, but many people outside the field do not notice. While in general we do see better overall health behaviors such as diet, exercise, not smoking, family planning, etc in more well educated and affluent populations, there are some risky behaviors that these seemingly healthier groups are particularly prone to. Vaccine avoidance, homebirth, and peer to peer milk sharing (using unscreened, unregulated human milk from strangers to feed infants instead of infant formula) come to mind. What kind of well educated, well off woman would purposefully choose to have an unassisted birth at home, far from any medical care, with only her graphic designer husband around to help? Who the hell in their right mind would feed unscreened body fluids from a stranger on the internet to their vulnerable newborn? Anyone with half a brain knows that childbirth can be dangerous, and that body fluids can contain diseases and dangerous bacteria right? Well it turns out, there are a lot of well educated women making these extremely questionable decisions right now as I type this – and they also tend to be the ones who are also suspicious of vaccinations too.

This happens because these people are essentially over-under educated. Meaning, they are educated and analytical enough to want to seek out information and form their own health opinions (generally a good thing!) but not educated enough on the specific topic to actually make the correct decision. Essentially, they know enough to form a nuanced opinion, but not enough to appropriately navigate that nuance to the healthiest choice. Their partial knowledge on the subject, which they usually don't realize is incomplete or lacking, leads them astray. To add insult to injury, many of us are also harmed by our own health privilege. How many people today have witnessed a child die from diphtheria or witness a baby injured in a difficult birth? Very very few. As a result, too few of us have internalized the message that these things are extremely dangerous in the way people used to. Sure, we know about the dangers intellectually, but we do not feel the fear or fully comprehend the risk because we have been protected from actually witnessing and experiencing the consequences. Watch one baby die from pertussis and you won't need to be convinced that it is a BFD, regardless of what anyone tells you. Read about the dangers of pertussis and then turn around and watch an antivaxxer documentary and well, you aren't so sure.

On the other hand, less educated people seem more likely to just default to whatever the authority figure (doctor, government agency, etc) tells them to do. That’s how we end up with very successful and intelligent but surprisingly ignorant BA, MA, and PhD holders running around not vaccinating their kids and insisting that giving birth without medical assistance is perfectly safe. It also means these people are the hardest to convince otherwise, because they tend to be sure that they are correct given the fact that they perceive themselves to be well informed on the topic (when in actuality they are most certainly not).

Here’s an example of how this can work out related to vaccines:

Well educated parents who lean green/crunchy are a little anxious about vaccinating their precious baby, so they naturally set out on a quest to learn all about it. They learn about vaccines, their importance and general safety, but also the very rare but serious effects that have been documented in a very small number of children. They also learn about herd immunity and learn that the likelihood of their baby being exposed to measles in the US is quite low due to this phenomenon. So far, things are going well – they are far more informed than a parent who just gets the vaxx because the doctor says so, or simply refuses it due to religious belief. So where do they go wrong? Well at this point their analysis often stops prematurely, even though they do not realize it. They think they have enough information to make a decision. As a result, they take the nuanced, but incorrect, opinion that it is safe to not vaccinate their kid due to the existing herd immunity in the US. Why risk being one of those rare people who gets bad side effects if herd immunity will most likely protect the baby anyway? But they come to this incorrect conclusion because they are only partially informed, not truly well informed. 2 key pieces have been left out of their analysis: relative risk, and the fact that local community/exposure is critical to herd immunity for a given individual. Herd immunity is dramatically compromised in certain progressive, liberal crunchy communities where parents are more likely to avoid vaccines. So a mom might think she is getting the benefit of herd immunity (because of her partial understanding of the subject) without realizing that her very involvement in her holistic moms group, or living in a very progressive city/town, actually means the herd immunity around her child is drastically compromised. In this way, her partial and incomplete knowledge of herd immunity actually hurts her decision making, not helps her. Same with relative risk – her partial knowledge of side effects and risk makes her believe that the risk of not vaccinating is on par, or possibly even less risky, than the risk of getting the vaccine. She doesn’t understand the relative risk of the two decisions because she doesn't have all the information.

The truth is, it takes a lot of time, effort, skill, and prior knowledge to do a thorough risk/benefit analysis of health related decisions, and even the smartest and most educated people can easily go astray if they don't know the health field well enough. It's really too bad and very alarming because now we are seeing problems that are completely unnecessary in today's day and age - babies starving because moms refuse infant formula, brain damaged children from homebirths gone wrong, and resurgences of deadly illnesses.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:24:03 AM by little_brown_dog »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »
FN: I also am surprised how many people on this forum get flu shots for themselves and kids.  I don't know anyone that does and everyone is a college educated professional.  Shingles can be horrible-blindness if you get it in your eye, scars, pain, etc. But if you are allergic to certain meds you can't get the shingles vaccine. For instance, I am allergic to neomycin so can't get it.

Why are you surprised? Even if you were ignorant of the facts before, they have been posted multiple times in this thread already.  It boggles my mind when people are presented with evidence and still deny it.

I also know many college educated professionals (some are legitimately intelligent people) that believe in magic and ghosts, and don't believe in things like vaccines and evolution.   They have completely compartmentalized some beliefs and can't be swayed with things like facts or evidence.

This is actually an interesting phenomenon that occurs in public health, but many people outside the field do not notice. While in general we do see better overall health behaviors such as diet, exercise, not smoking, family planning, etc in more well educated and affluent populations, there are some risky behaviors that these seemingly healthier groups are particularly prone to. Vaccine avoidance, homebirth, and peer to peer milk sharing (using unscreened, unregulated human milk from strangers to feed infants instead of infant formula) come to mind. What kind of well educated, well off woman would purposefully choose to have an unassisted birth at home, far from any medical care, with only her graphic designer husband around to help? Who the hell in their right mind would feed unscreened body fluids from a stranger on the internet to their vulnerable newborn? Anyone with half a brain knows that childbirth can be dangerous, and that body fluids can contain diseases and dangerous bacteria right? Well it turns out, there are a lot of well educated women making these extremely questionable decisions right now as I type this – and they also tend to be the ones who are also suspicious of vaccinations too.

This happens because these people are essentially over-under educated. Meaning, they are educated and analytical enough to want to seek out information and form their own health opinions (generally a good thing!) but not educated enough on the specific topic to actually make the correct decision. Essentially, they know enough to form a nuanced opinion, but not enough to appropriately navigate that nuance to the healthiest choice. Their partial knowledge on the subject, which they usually don't realize is incomplete or lacking, leads them astray. To add insult to injury, many of us are also harmed by our own health privilege. How many people today have witnessed a child die from diphtheria or witness a baby injured in a difficult birth? Very very few. As a result, too few of us have internalized the message that these things are extremely dangerous in the way people used to. Sure, we know about the dangers intellectually, but we do not feel the fear or fully comprehend the risk because we have been protected from actually witnessing and experiencing the consequences. Watch one baby die from pertussis and you won't need to be convinced that it isn't a BFD, regardless of what anyone tells you. Read about the dangers of pertussis and then turn around and watch an antivaxxer documentary and well, you aren't so sure.

On the other hand, less educated people seem more likely to just default to whatever the authority figure (doctor, government agency, etc) tells them to do. That’s how we end up with very successful and intelligent but surprisingly ignorant BA, MA, and PhD holders running around not vaccinating their kids and insisting that giving birth without medical assistance is perfectly safe. It also means these people are the hardest to convince otherwise, because they tend to be sure that they are correct given the fact that they perceive themselves to be well informed on the topic (when in actuality they are most certainly not).

Here’s an example of how this can work out related to vaccines:

Well educated parents who lean green/crunchy are a little anxious about vaccinating their precious baby, so they naturally set out on a quest to learn all about it. They learn about vaccines, their importance and general safety, but also the very rare but serious effects that have been documented in a very small number of children. They also learn about herd immunity and learn that the likelihood of their baby being exposed to measles in the US is quite low due to this phenomenon. So far, things are going well – they are far more informed than a parent who just gets the vaxx because the doctor says so, or simply refuses it due to religious belief. So where do they go wrong? Well at this point their analysis often stops prematurely, even though they do not realize it. They think they have enough information to make a decision. As a result, they take the nuanced, but incorrect, opinion that it is safe to not vaccinate their kid due to the existing herd immunity in the US. Why risk being one of those rare people who gets bad side effects if herd immunity will most likely protect the baby anyway? But they come to this incorrect conclusion because they are only partially informed, not truly well informed. 2 key pieces have been left out of their analysis: relative risk, and the fact that local community/exposure is critical to herd immunity for a given individual. Herd immunity is dramatically compromised in certain progressive, liberal crunchy communities where parents are more likely to avoid vaccines. So a mom might think she is getting the benefit of herd immunity (because of her partial understanding of the subject) without realizing that her very involvement in her holistic moms group, or living in a very progressive city/town, actually means the herd immunity around her child is drastically compromised. In this way, her partial and incomplete knowledge of herd immunity actually hurts her decision making, not helps her. Same with relative risk – her partial knowledge of side effects and risk makes her believe that the risk of not vaccinating is on par, or possibly even less risky, than the risk of getting the vaccine. She doesn’t understand the relative risk of the two decisions because she doesn't have all the information.

The truth is, it takes a lot of time, effort, skill, and prior knowledge to do a thorough risk/benefit analysis of health related decisions, and even the smartest and most educated people can easily go astray if they don't know the health field well enough. It's really too bad and very alarming because now we are seeing problems that are completely unnecessary in today's day and age - babies starving because moms refuse infant formula, brain damaged children from homebirths gone wrong, and resurgences of deadly illnesses.

This was fantastic!  I read an interesting article that discussed why people are voting for Trump (in many cases, fear).  A friend's sister, who is a pediatrician, make a comment that it is similar to the anti-vaxxers.  People who are *somewhat* educated, but not completely.  I found the interchange very fascinating because I see it in some of my friends (I live in a crunchy granola area).

Also: the internet.  You can find anything on the internet.  I find that some of my friends don't choose their sources wisely.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
Wow, that was a great explanation, little brown dog.  It makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for taking the time to share.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
I never got flu shots until I actually got the real flu one year. I was so miserably sick for a week that I swore I'd always get a flu shot in the future. I've followed through on that and 15+ years later I haven't ever had the flu again. Well worth it in my opinion to get the shot.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 02:39:01 PM »
Historically we have had some serious flu illnesses in my family, so I get the vaccine every year.  Plus now I visit a seniors' residence every week.  They have already had their flu shots (given at the residence).  I'll get mine at our local clinic or at my next doctor's appointment (earlier).
Interesting video from our Eastern Ontario Health Unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WXnj9BDpm4&feature=youtu.be

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
It's not worth overthinking...  The flu shot (or any vaccine) is an insurance policy. It has benefits and costs.  If the danger outweighs the cost, get it. If not, don't.

The Costs (for me) are a) hassle b) mild reaction c) possibility the flu shot fails (analogous to an insurance policy which does not cover the damage inflicted).

The Danger (for me) is low, as I'm not exposed to many people. I don't go to a large school, large office building, malls, etc.  So I do not bother.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »
Nobody *you know* goes to a school, public events, or malls?

Yes, flu vaccine is useless for cave-dwelling hermits.

-W

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »
It's not worth overthinking...  The flu shot (or any vaccine) is an insurance policy. It has benefits and costs.  If the danger outweighs the cost, get it. If not, don't.

The Costs (for me) are a) hassle b) mild reaction c) possibility the flu shot fails (analogous to an insurance policy which does not cover the damage inflicted).

The Danger (for me) is low, as I'm not exposed to many people. I don't go to a large school, large office building, malls, etc.  So I do not bother.

Why does it have to be a large school or office building? You can get infected from just one person. Every year some virus runs rampant through my 10 person office. Also grocery stores, neighbors, etc.  Plus every person you meet in your small office may be in contact with someone that attends a large school, etc.  You are only 6 degrees away from Kevin Bacon.  I would wager that even the most reclusive hermit is 0 degrees away from hundreds of flu viruses over the season. 

Eilonwy

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
Anyone else flashing on this scene from "Community"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MgNcE8mRM0

This thread inspired me to get my shot today, and also get one for my son. He usually gets the nasal spray, (not recommended for this flu season) and I was a little iffy thinking about how traumatizing it would be for him, but the reminder about herd immunity convinced me. And of course it's a tiny little stick and barely painful at all, so though he was scared, as soon as it was over he was fine.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2016, 05:58:08 PM »
I haven't had the flu shot. I have anxiety and I am freaked out by the thought of vaccines (I am not an anti-vaxxer, but accidental exposure to the media from both sides makes managing my anxiety about it even worse). The flu isn't a cold. I wound up in the cardiac ward with a flu-like virus 4 years ago. No, it wouldn't have been covered by the shot, but fuck I wish I could just "get over" my anxiety so I could get it. I'd had all other vaccinations up until then, and the anxiety disorder is a result of that virus. This year I'm pregnant, and looking to have several vaccines, and its freaking me out. If your question is idle and needles/vaccines aren't a big deal, get it. For me it's an emotionally wrought experience where I'll be working with my body for months to become comfortable enough to get it, or heck at least one of the other important vaccines my baby needs me to have. I hope. (The baby will be fully vaccinated on its own, that is no problem for me). If it is a big deal, well, I'm working with my psych and will start to consider medication if it's going to be that big a deal.

My daughter is going to get the nasal spray flu vaccine this year because she is very anxious about needles and just had two shots that are only avaliable by jab already this week.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
I haven't had the flu shot. I have anxiety and I am freaked out by the thought of vaccines (I am not an anti-vaxxer, but accidental exposure to the media from both sides makes managing my anxiety about it even worse). The flu isn't a cold. I wound up in the cardiac ward with a flu-like virus 4 years ago. No, it wouldn't have been covered by the shot, but fuck I wish I could just "get over" my anxiety so I could get it. I'd had all other vaccinations up until then, and the anxiety disorder is a result of that virus. This year I'm pregnant, and looking to have several vaccines, and its freaking me out. If your question is idle and needles/vaccines aren't a big deal, get it. For me it's an emotionally wrought experience where I'll be working with my body for months to become comfortable enough to get it, or heck at least one of the other important vaccines my baby needs me to have. I hope. (The baby will be fully vaccinated on its own, that is no problem for me). If it is a big deal, well, I'm working with my psych and will start to consider medication if it's going to be that big a deal.

My daughter is going to get the nasal spray flu vaccine this year because she is very anxious about needles and just had two shots that are only avaliable by jab already this week.
I haven't heard of the nasal spray anywhere. I'll see if it's available in Australia, definitely worth it if I can get myself protected even a bit.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
IMO vaccines are one of the greatest, if not the greatest, invention of mankind.   The amount of human suffering that has been alleviated by vaccinations is incalculable. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2016, 06:35:18 PM »
I haven't heard of the nasal spray anywhere. I'll see if it's available in Australia, definitely worth it if I can get myself protected even a bit.

I don't know if it's the same in Canada or Australia, but the CDC says this:

Note: For the 2016-2017 season, CDC recommends use of the flu shot (inactivated influenza vaccine or IIV) and the recombinant influenza vaccine (RIV). The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2016-2017. The 2016-2017 influenza vaccination recommendations are now available.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
I didn't used to get the flu shot even when it was readily available until a couple years ago I was arguing a pro-vaccine position on a friend's FB page (she's pro-vax, too!) and I was like, why **don't** I get the flu vax? Risk of being sick far outweighs the risk of the vaccine (no allergies I know of, except something of the mold/mildew variety in my uncle's basement). Plus I'm very pro-sick days/public health i.e. let's not spread our germs around guys, we'll all have fewer sick days, k? So basically, finally walked the walk.

No idea if I've ever had the flu; definitely had a few illnesses that knocked me out for over a week.

Not a professional so maybe someone can confirm, but some interesting stuff I've read on vaccines:
1) Apparently the way they figure out what strains will be dominant is by looking at the opposite hemisphere the previous season. Viruses running rampant in Australia, NZ, S. America, Africa are likely to travel to the N. America, Europe, China, Japan and spread. And vice versa. Not magic and no one is guessing at mutations; which is why it doesn't always work. Sometimes one virus dies down and a mutated one takes its place; that would make the shot less effective.

2) More reliably and more importantly: the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine is apparently less effective than it once was. http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/05/05/404407258/whooping-cough-vaccines-protection-fades-quickly Basically they replaced the whole-cell vaccine all of us over like 20 years old got as kids with one that uses proteins from the bacteria instead. This lowered/eliminated the risk of a horrible (brain swelling, permanent neurological damage, etc) reaction, but apparently the efficiency now plummets between 1 and 2 years. Doesn't sound like the old shot is an option anymore, so the take away is that everyone should *absolutely* get a Tdap booster before seeing a new baby, since babies are absolutely at most risk from whooping cough if they catch it.

Also symptoms of pertussis for adults are different than for kids, so if you have a nasty, incredibly persistent cough (2+ weeks) especially if it comes in fits, be on the safe side and don't cough on babies or their parents. :/

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »

I don't know if it's the same in Canada or Australia, but the CDC says this:

Note: For the 2016-2017 season, CDC recommends use of the flu shot (inactivated influenza vaccine or IIV) and the recombinant influenza vaccine (RIV). The nasal spray flu vaccine (live attenuated influenza vaccine or LAIV) should not be used during 2016-2017. The 2016-2017 influenza vaccination recommendations are now available.

Canada took a different position this year than the US.
My daughter just got gardisil and hepB jabs on Thursday.  And she has anxiety and has been dreading them.  I was asking about getting the flu shot and how long to wait after the first two needles and nurse was the one to suggest the spray. 
I am  currently suffering from flu like symptoms and have been for 9 days.   I was advised to wait a week but for sure get the shot.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
Also symptoms of pertussis for adults are different than for kids, so if you have a nasty, incredibly persistent cough (2+ weeks) especially if it comes in fits, be on the safe side and don't cough on babies or their parents. :/

Let's simplify this rule:  If you have to cough, be on the safe side -- cover your mouth and don't cough on anyone!  Best practice is to cough into a tissue or your upper sleeve.

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »
My husband, my son, and I all got flu last year. Mine and son's developed into pneumonia; DH got bronchitis. We had forgotten to get flu shots. Our infant daughter, the only one who had gotten flu shot (her annual physical coincided w/ start of flu season), got only mild symptoms and was basically fine. The rest of us were miserable for 2+ weeks.

We're all getting flu shot this year!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »

Let's simplify this rule:  If you have to cough, be on the safe side -- cover your mouth and don't cough on anyone!  Best practice is to cough into a tissue or your upper sleeve.

Yeah, by "don't cough on babies" I meant don't even visit. Don't be in the same room. Don't let anyone who's breathed your air since just before you started having symptoms go visit either. Just...avoid any possibility of passing it, especially to an infant.

It was never confirmed medically but I have a very strong suspicion, seconded by my mom, that I had it 2 years ago in spite of being vaccinated. Too many symptoms fit and nothing else really makes you have doubled-over coughing fits for 8-10 weeks with no symptoms outside of that... (Also, 8-10 weeks is a LONG time to just. keep. coughing. daily. Sucked.)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
My husband and I had gotten the flu shot several weeks ago at work, but reading this thread finally got my off my butt of good intentions and dragged my toddler in to get hers this afternoon. She was upset and cried, but I explained that it was much better to hurt a little for a minute than get really sick. Plus, she got to eat a mini Milky Way they were giving away which is something she certainly would never be allowed normally!

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2016, 10:13:52 PM »
Awesome anecdote. Keep crossing your fingers and maybe if enough other people aren't as stupid, you'll never have to get it.

-W
Mod Note: Being an ass doesn't help your cause. Also, Personal attacks and being a jerk are not acceptable.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:20:39 AM by swick »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2016, 10:19:32 PM »
Awesome anecdote. Keep crossing your fingers and maybe if enough other people aren't as stupid, you'll never have to get it.

-W
That's out of line.  If you have a reaction to this shot, you can end up in the hospital, like I did.  The more of the "herd"  that get the shot, the better off I am.  But I will never get another flu shot.  I can't.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2016, 10:27:29 PM »

-W

Forum rule number one: don't be a jerk.

Plus, when you insult people you lose all hope of convincing them. So if you actually do want more people to get vaccinated (as I do), calling them stupid is counter-productive.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Flu shot: to get, or not to get? That is the question
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
Well, thanks for all the info everyone. It's hard for me to shake my paranoid and dystopic thoughts of "what's in this needle? It's from the government? It would be sooo easy to drug the masses..."

Anyways, I've been watching too much of the show "Black Mirror" but you guys helped me to get my flu shot. Just went now and I'm glad I was able to get over my own irrational fears. Tried to get my parents to go for their flu shot but they're paranoid. Now I know who I got it from ;)

I'll keep educating them. Thanks for the conversation here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:55:30 PM by lifejoy »

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2016, 03:57:09 PM »
Thanks for this conversation.  I'm one of those over under educated people.  I read too many anti vax blogs and got all caught up on it.  Also it's easy to mistrust the info out there because we've all seen how Big Pharma does not have our best interests at heart and how the FDA and the government are largely bought by corporations.  (right? Or is that totally crazy too?)

Bottom line, I've been rethinking my stance on vaccines for a while now and this thread has been enough to push me over the edge to pro-vaccines.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »
I do the flu shot every year. My brother has severe allergies, including eggs, so I join the herd in hopes that others will too and keep him safe.
I've also had the shingles vax. I got it a few years ago, well prior to age 60, because I'm the caregiver for my MIL, who has Alzheimer's. Not only did I have a bad case of chicken pox that morphed into pneumonia as a kid, but my dad had shingles and said it was the worst pain of his life. I've since heard that the newer version is more effective, but whatever. I did the best I could with what I knew at the time.

So, any thoughts on the pneumonia vaccine?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Being old enough to have had both influenza and pneumonia when no vaccines were available, I would get the pneumonia shot if you are not vaccine-reactive.  I have had full blown pneumonia three times and it's no fun.  I'm on my second shot (2 years ago).  I had the first one 12 years ago and no problems since.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »
I had pneumonia in my 40's and I was so very sick. I was off work for 10 days and when I first went back I could only work 3 hours/day. Once I was well I got the vaccine. They did not want to give it to me because I was not 65. I insisted. I worked with a guy that had it 3x's even with the vaccine.  I coughed so hard that I pulled all my ribs out of place. It really hurt when the Chiro had to pop them back in.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »
I get mine every year.  Never had influenza, though I've had plenty of more minor viruses.  Sometimes I've had a mild but noticeable reaction (achy, low grade fever), but the past few years haven't noticed any reaction.  Work makes it very easy though - occupational health does free and convenient flu shots.  When I worked nights, you'd just grab another nurse to give you your shot and sign your form.  I work mainly with oncology patients, many of whom are immunocompromised, and I have extended family members undergoing chemo and with recent organ transplant.  I consider a flu shot to be one of the least things I can do to help protect them. Our health district does a free drive through flu shot clinic, and we took the kids through there.  That was about as convenient as it gets.

For the woman who is immunocompromised - it depends, and you really need to ask your doctor since they're the one who knows what that means in your specific case.  My old hospital had guidelines related to chemo regimen and neutrophil count, but most of our oncology patients still could and did get the shot, even many who were actively on chemo.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
I had pneumonia in my early 40's and I hope to never have it again.  Even once I was over it I needed another month to get my previous energy levels back.  When my doctor offered me the vaccine I didn't hesitate, that was the easiest decision I have ever made.

Vaccinations have made our lives so much healthier - we have them for polio, MMR, chicken pox, flu, tetanus, whooping cough, diptheria, pneumonia, hepatitis, and rabies (and I am probably missing a few in the list). Small pox is gone thanks to vaccines.

Our modern health care does so much, but what has really made us healthier is good sanitation (i.e. clean water, good sewage treatment, no more cholera etc.) and vaccination.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »
So... family history has it that my great-grandmother had 24 pregnancies, and 18 live births. And then the spanish flu went through one year, pre-vaccine. Not all flus are this bad, obviously, but every once in a while, there's a really really deadly one (death rate of 20% in healthy adults is nothing to sneeze at). And 4 of their kids died in one night, and my great-grandfather carted them off to the common grave before going to work because there were still 12 mouths to feed and doctor's bills coming in and they were a poor rural family.

I hear anecdotes about people getting sick from the flu vaccine, but lemme just say, not one of those anecdotes is going to affect me as much as this does.

The one year I didn't get the flu vaccine, I got hit HARD. Sick in bed for a full week and a half (literally - standing up to walk to the bathroom had me passing out, I had to CRAWL to get to the toilet), off work for a full 2.5 week, and even then I'd come home and crawl into bed and wasn't able to handle life. Took a full month to get better.

So... yeah. I get the flu vaccine. There are enough people in my life who are vulnerable to illness and who can't get vaccinated (autoimmune conditions, cancer treatments, etc) that I kind of feel it's a public duty.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2016, 07:57:23 AM »
My daughter is going to get the nasal spray flu vaccine this year because she is very anxious about needles and just had two shots that are only available by jab already this week.

You may want to rethink this. According to the CDC website: Live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) – or the nasal spray vaccine – is not recommended for use during the 2016-2017 season because of concerns about its effectiveness.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season-2016-2017.htm

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
My daughter is going to get the nasal spray flu vaccine this year because she is very anxious about needles and just had two shots that are only available by jab already this week.

You may want to rethink this. According to the CDC website: Live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) – or the nasal spray vaccine – is not recommended for use during the 2016-2017 season because of concerns about its effectiveness.

I honestly thought they weren't even offering it this year, for that very reason.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »

I honestly thought they weren't even offering it this year, for that very reason.

This point was already discussed upthread.  Canada, where Frugal Lizard resides, has taken a different position on this than the United States has.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:24:23 PM by LeRainDrop »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2016, 03:08:41 PM »

This point was already discussed upthread.  Canada, where Frugal Lizard resides, has taken a different position on this than the United States has.

Ah. So noted. Thanks.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:44 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you guys for this thread. I was one of the sadly underinformed people who confused influenza with "stomach flu" and thus didn't bother getting the flu shot, because I'd gone years without it and never gotten sick and how bad could it be anyway?

Now I know. And I went to CVS on Friday (with my metaphorical tail between my legs) and got the shot.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
I just wanted to say thank you guys for this thread. I was one of the sadly underinformed people who confused influenza with "stomach flu" and thus didn't bother getting the flu shot, because I'd gone years without it and never gotten sick and how bad could it be anyway?

Now I know. And I went to CVS on Friday (with my metaphorical tail between my legs) and got the shot.

You're not alone! I think there are a lot of smart people out there that just don't know. And you don't know what you don't know. I'm just grateful that I have a safe place where I can wave my ignorance around :D

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »
For those that haven't gotten your flu shots, Target is giving away a $5 gift card when you get it at Target.  Free money.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »
For those that haven't gotten your flu shots, Target is giving away a $5 gift card when you get it at Target.  Free money.

Awesome! Good to know. I've been waiting since work gives me a waiver, but if they don't this year for whatever reason, I'll do that!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »

Awesome! Good to know. I've been waiting since work gives me a waiver, but if they don't this year for whatever reason, I'll do that!

A waiver for what? Like to not be required to get a shot?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:58 AM »

I wonder if waiver = voucher = free flu shot?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »

I wonder if waiver = voucher = free flu shot?

She lives in the usa.  ACA = free flut shot. 

EDIT:  The more I think about it, a waiver is a document to waive a requirement or to give an exemption.  Many professions (like hospitals) require all employees to get the vaccine (as they should), where as the general population is left to make up their own mind.  Even if they give you a waiver to exempt you I urge you to go get your flu shot.  Unless you are one of the few people who actually cannot get a flu shot, and your aversion is well founded (I suspect it's not), then you should be getting the vaccine. 

Influenza vaccines fall under preventative care in the ACA and is provided free of charge from an in network provider.  You can call your insurance to check who is in network, or probably more easily just show up at any of the thousands of places near you (grocery stores, pharmacy, etc) that provide the shot and have them check your insurance.

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts-and-features/fact-sheets/preventive-services-covered-under-aca/index.html#

If you have a new health insurance plan or insurance policy beginning on or after September 23, 2010, the following preventive services must be covered without your having to pay a copayment or co-insurance or meet your deductible. This applies only when these services are delivered by a network provider.

Immunization vaccines for adults--doses, recommended ages, and recommended populations vary:

Hepatitis A
    Hepatitis B
    Herpes Zoster
    Human Papillomavirus
    Influenza (Flu Shot)
    Measles, Mumps, Rubella
    Meningococcal
    Pneumococcal
    Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis
    Varicella

You can get all those other vaccines free of charge too.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:41:11 AM by frugalnacho »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:32 AM »

I weigh the pros and cons. I'm at an age and health level where the flu is not dangerous for me. So if I get the flu, it's like, oh that sucks but whatever. Compare that with other things, like vaccines, and it's like hell yeah me and my future kids are getting vaccinated!

The flu shot is a vaccine.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Sorry, waiver was a poor choice of word and I should have explained further. It is a voucher which allows me to get the shot from a company affiliated with ours, meaning I do not have to deal with billing insurance, which is nice, because we just switched insurance on the first and stuff is all screwed up, PLUS it saves filing a ton of paperwork with my company to prove that I did, in fact, get it.

Don't worry FrugalNacho, I get my flu shot. I work with medically fragile kids, I wouldn't dream of not. Pretty sure I was like the third comment on the thread saying YES IT MATTERS.

Just me, sucking at english at 10pm (aka, way past my bedtime).

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2016, 10:01:05 AM »
Sorry, waiver was a poor choice of word and I should have explained further. It is a voucher which allows me to get the shot from a company affiliated with ours, meaning I do not have to deal with billing insurance, which is nice, because we just switched insurance on the first and stuff is all screwed up, PLUS it saves filing a ton of paperwork with my company to prove that I did, in fact, get it.

Don't worry FrugalNacho, I get my flu shot. I work with medically fragile kids, I wouldn't dream of not. Pretty sure I was like the third comment on the thread saying YES IT MATTERS.

Just me, sucking at english at 10pm (aka, way past my bedtime).

My experience with Target has been that they get your insurance info, then pull the vaccine and administer it.  No dealing with the insurance company at all for anything during or after.  They gave me one of those bags you normally get with a prescription (although it was empty) that has all the prescription documentation stapled right on it.  I don't have to turn mine in for work or anything, but it seems like that would be pretty easy to show you got it. 

Plus free $5 gift card.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!