Author Topic: Firearms in the home  (Read 727566 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Firearms in the home
« Reply #1850 on: November 10, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »
Hmm this is a good point. Once prices have dropped a bit, buying guns/ammo during Republican administrations and selling them during Democrat administrations might be a market timing strategy that could actually work consistently! ;)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #1851 on: November 10, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
I was reading the contingency planning thread, and I realized that some of the posters feel the need to keep firearms in their house for protection.   I'm really not trolling, I'd like to understand your point of view better, because this seems foreign to me.

1.   Why don't you move to a less dangerous area?    It can't be much fun, being constantly on edge that someone is going to invade your house or assault you on the street.

There aren't any less dangerous areas. Living on yellow alert is a fact of life in America. Here, they train school children in the fine art of how to die. Duck and cover, because the Soviets are coming with bombs. Hide under your desk, because a gunman's loose in the building. We have so many people with a galloping case of untreated PTSD or another mental illness that you never know who's going to snap or when.

2.  Do you regularly practice with your firearm?   (I used to shoot cans with a .22 when I was a kid, but that's about the limit of my experience.   When I eventually FIRE, I'd like to try some practical shooting if I can find a good range.   But I don't have time for another hobby right now.)

Of course. If the tool fits you properly you only need a minimal amount of training to get the level of accuracy you need. It's pretty stupid to own a tool and not be able to use it. However I would most likely use a different tool. Something quieter and more versatile.

3.  If you have children or a spouse, how have you trained them to stay out of the way if there's an incident?  i.e. so they don't get shot?

Yes, although there are some weapons I'm training my kid to actually use. She knows the limits of her capability and how to GTFO.

4.  How to you plan to deal with the first responders after an incident?

They most likely won't come unless I make enough noise for someone else to notice.

If I capture a home invader alive I would probably call for a pickup, but realistically the thug will be back on the streets in a day or two, so... it's probably best for everyone if they simply happen to wander off to an alley or an abandoned mesa somewhere with a wire coat hanger wrapped around their necks. I don't know that I'd necessarily pick that as my first choice, but I'm sure it would be a tempting option. In the worst case scenario, if I were to goof up and leave forensic evidence, I can still honestly say they were alive the last time I saw them. It might come down to whether or not the invader is someone I know. If the invader is a member of my daughter's extended family of origin, there could be complications to the coat hanger approach.

Seriously, who's going to come to somebody's house looking for a missing home invader? "Excuse me please, have you seen this thug? He said he was headed your way." "No, sorry, haven't seen a thing." "His van was found abandoned out here in the street." "Huh. Must be one of those alien abductions. Lucky for me." "Well, thanks for your time, have a nice day."

Will the police arrest you?

Unless I do something really egregious such as vivisection, probably not.

If I were to shoot a home invader, hypothetically of course, I'd be likely to get a high five from the police especially if my shot placement is good. One more scumbag off the street is less work for them.  But the cleanup. Yuck.

The police won't arrest or file charges if they know they won't be able to get a grand jury to agree a crime has been committed. Grand juries are made up of ordinary people who have to live in this city, and they seldom see a problem with a home invader ceasing to exist. It's considered a kind of occupational hazard or a predictable consequence of bad decision making.

Do you have a lawyer ready to call on your phone?

No need. I do everything pro se.

Or does your jurisdiction take the view that you're allowed to shoot in your home, so you don't expect to have issues with the authorities?

It's not a question of legality, it's a question of practicality.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1852 on: November 10, 2016, 02:52:03 PM »
... It's considered a kind of occupational hazard or a predictable consequence of bad decision making.
Or, to use the vernacular, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #1853 on: November 11, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »

Hmmm..... 4% rule for ammo usage?

If only ammo earned compound interest.  Talk about a conflict of interest for a gun enthusiast though.  Shoot 100 rounds now or 108 next year.....hhnnnnggh.

The answer is 'both'. :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1854 on: November 11, 2016, 01:25:09 AM »
Hmm this is a good point. Once prices have dropped a bit, buying guns/ammo during Republican administrations and selling them during Democrat administrations might be a market timing strategy that could actually work consistently! ;)

Perhaps buying stocks of these companies would be more lucrative? After all, they may know the market much better than an individual, stocks take up less room in one's home than firearm collections, pose less physical danger to one's family and are even easier to sell.

If one is going to try to time the market, at least be Mustachian about it! :D

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1855 on: November 13, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing a handgun for personal protection. I have some handgun experience, but no shotgun or rifle & don't want something that large. Any recommendation on models to consider? Don't need anything fancy, just for close-range practice and for home protection. Cost is not necessarily a criteria if a given model is clearly superior to others.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1856 on: November 13, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
I recommend a Ruger LCP with a laser sight.  6+1 capacity, fairly small. They're about $250

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1857 on: November 13, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
A revlover with a 2.5 inch barrel or greater.  Easy to use, super safe, and rarely malfunction.   Much simpler to operate and clean than an auto, as well.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1858 on: November 13, 2016, 06:32:37 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing a handgun for personal protection. I have some handgun experience, but no shotgun or rifle & don't want something that large. Any recommendation on models to consider? Don't need anything fancy, just for close-range practice and for home protection. Cost is not necessarily a criteria if a given model is clearly superior to others.

Are you wanting to conceal carry? If not, I recommend the Beretta 92FS.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1859 on: November 14, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »

A Glock 22.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1860 on: November 14, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
I have a hard time recommending a Glock to novices given that it doesn't have a safety. 

I know, I know, the safety is the trigger, but still, I like my firearm to have a safety on it.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1861 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »
I have a hard time recommending a Glock to novices given that it doesn't have a safety. 

I know, I know, the safety is the trigger, but still, I like my firearm to have a safety on it.

Exactly.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1862 on: November 14, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »

Having carried various Glocks for years (I was issued a 22, 21, 21SF, personally own a 36), my biggest complaint about them is the trigger/guard.  If I'm shooting all day, for some reason the bottom of my trigger finger tends to rub the lower trigger guard and will eventually get rubbed raw.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Springfield XDM (it just feels right in my hands), but they don't have external safeties either.

Midwest

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1863 on: November 14, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »

Having carried various Glocks for years (I was issued a 22, 21, 21SF, personally own a 36), my biggest complaint about them is the trigger/guard.  If I'm shooting all day, for some reason the bottom of my trigger finger tends to rub the lower trigger guard and will eventually get rubbed raw.

I prefer the ergonomics of the Springfield XDM (it just feels right in my hands), but they don't have external safeties either.

The regular XD's have a grip safety.  Does the XDM omit that?  I purchased the XD over the glock due to that feature.  Prefer the glocks trigger however.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1864 on: November 14, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »

The regular XD's have a grip safety.  Does the XDM omit that?  I purchased the XD over the glock due to that feature.  Prefer the glocks trigger however.

Ditto

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1865 on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »

I forgot about that - you're right.

If the trigger safety is insufficient I don't see the grip safety adding a whole lot. When someone wants an external safety, I think of something that requires conscious intervention (i.e. not grip/trigger safeties that are automatically disengaged when you're holding the gun / pulling the trigger). It is certainly an added layer, though.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1866 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »

I forgot about that - you're right.

If the trigger safety is insufficient I don't see the grip safety adding a whole lot. When someone wants an external safety, I think of something that requires conscious intervention (i.e. not grip/trigger safeties that are automatically disengaged when you're holding the gun / pulling the trigger). It is certainly an added layer, though.

I can holster/unholster a weapon with a grip safety without engaging the safety, and that's one scenario I like there to be a safety present. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1867 on: November 14, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »

The dreaded Glock Knuckle.

This is why I like revolvers, or double action autos like Sigs - Long, heavy trigger pull. No safeties or levers or switches to get in the way when one needs to use their firearm, but enough of a trigger weight to reduce negligent discharges, even with people who are not as practiced with their firearm as the should be.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1868 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Fuck safeties. Live life on the edge.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1869 on: November 15, 2016, 05:59:51 AM »
Fuck safeties. Live life on the edge.

Keep that booger hook off the bang switch, and the business end away from anyone's business.

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #1870 on: November 15, 2016, 07:04:04 AM »
XDM has the grip safety. 

Best safety lies between your ears and dictates good trigger discipline.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready for it to go bang.

In the heat of the moment do you really want to deal with a safety?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1871 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:37 AM »
XDM has the grip safety. 

Best safety lies between your ears and dictates good trigger discipline.  Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready for it to go bang.

Those few extra seconds can be such a mood killer.

Oh, we weren't talking about that kind of 'safety'. :D

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #1872 on: November 15, 2016, 08:22:45 AM »
XDM has the grip safety. 

Those few extra seconds can be such a mood killer.

Oh, we weren't talking about that kind of 'safety'. :D

Nope...but same still applies.

Handgun safeties are a weird topic, but if you understand a little more about the history of them, it helps (me) understand why they aren't ALWAYS needed.  This is NOT a complete, chronological, or comprehensive history, BTW.

First we had wheel guns (revolvers).  Single action revolvers don't have safeties because nobody with any common sense would have one cocked unless you are ready to shoot.  You don't carry one in that condition.  Double action revolvers are pretty much drop safe (meaning you can drop one and it won't go off)...you have to pull the trigger...HARD...to get them to shoot.

After we had wheel guns for a while, a guy by the name of John Moses Browning invented a new type of semi automatic pistol...the 1911.  It was designed to be carried "cocked and locked"...but wasn't necessarily drop safe so a manual safety was used.  Manual safeties became all the rage - everyone had to have them - mostly because everyone built semi-autos a lot like the 1911.  The 1911 also had a grip safety on the backstrap to prevent the gun from firing unless it was gripped by a human hand.  Note: later 1911s had firing pin blocks to make them drop safe.

Years later another guy, Gaston Glock, developed a new type of pistol - the striker fired semi-auto.  He didn't use a manual safety - some people liked it, others were horrified.  Striker fired guns are drop safe because the firing pin is blocked until you pull the trigger.  The only way for a striker fired gun to go bang is if the trigger is pulled.  Now, it is possible for something to accidentally snag the trigger, so a trigger safety was introduced.  Trigger safeties aren't completely fool proof, but they add a layer of protection.

There are plenty of other semi-auto guns out there with some or all of these features.  Most have firing pin blocks,  many have trigger safeties, a few have a grip safeties, some have manual safeties.  For eaxample:

XD Line - Grip safety, trigger safety, firing pin block.

M&P Line - Trigger safety, optional manual safety, firing pin block.

Back to my point.  Don't put your finger on the trigger until you want it to shoot...and it won't.  A manual safety is, in my opinion, not needed to make the weapon any more safe provided you have good trigger discipline.  Its just one more thing you have to do, when you don't have a lot of time to do it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:15:06 PM by hoosier »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1873 on: November 16, 2016, 07:22:31 AM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1874 on: November 16, 2016, 07:44:07 AM »
Some of you might be interested in this:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/11/14/a-handy-guide-for-liberals-who-are-suddenly-interested-in-gun-ownership/

Nice piece of condescending trash.

For the record, a bunch of us asshole liberals already own guns.

And I'm a lot less worried about protecting myself from a tyrannical government than I am about protecting myself from a bunch of fear-driven right wing types who think people who disagree with them should be shot.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:38:00 AM by Kris »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1875 on: November 16, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »

http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/11/14/a-handy-guide-for-liberals-who-are-suddenly-interested-in-gun-ownership/

And I'm a lot less worried about protecting myself from a tyrannical government than I am about protecting myself from a bunch of fear-driven right wing types who think people who disagree with them should be shot.

Is that a statistical likelihood where you  live?  In my neck of the woods, far more people are shot at left-wing protests.  Thankfully gun crime is on the decline, at a national level.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1876 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »

Is that a statistical likelihood where you  live?  In my neck of the woods, far more people are shot at left-wing protests.  Thankfully gun crime is on the decline, at a national level.

More statistically likely than the number of times a tyrannical government put my life in jeopardy? Clearly.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1877 on: November 16, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice on which gun model to purchase, will probably go with the Beretta as I'm more familiar with them. I'm worried about corrupt police or getting caught in cross-fire between gangs (happens a lot, mostly to people who sit outside after 10pm). Also if you don't have a gun, it makes you a target for harassment by drunkards at night in my neighborhood. Luckily I only have 7 months left in Chicago.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:45:07 PM by Abe »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1878 on: November 16, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »
None of those are good situations to be in. I'm not certain a firearm would improve them.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1879 on: November 16, 2016, 08:02:52 PM »
Neither am I. Unfortunately people from my university are routinely robbed at gunpoint with minimal follow-through by the police. It's so common it's become the butt of morbid email jokes. Just got another alert since my last post. Their advice is basically take a beating otherwise you may die if you resist a robbery. Also don't go outside alone. I wouldn't trust the CPD with my toaster, much less my life.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1880 on: November 18, 2016, 10:15:32 AM »
Who do the police call when they get in trouble? Concealed carry permitted citizens.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/15/passerby-shoots-kills-motorist-assaulting-deputy-after-traffic-stop.html

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1881 on: November 18, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
Neither am I. Unfortunately people from my university are routinely robbed at gunpoint with minimal follow-through by the police. It's so common it's become the butt of morbid email jokes. Just got another alert since my last post. Their advice is basically take a beating otherwise you may die if you resist a robbery. Also don't go outside alone. I wouldn't trust the CPD with my toaster, much less my life.

Good god what university? 

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1882 on: November 18, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »

Hey, that's Larry Correia's web site.     He's a writer of the same caliber as John Ringo, i.e. he tells a great story and occassionally let's his political views show.

Thanks for that.   I'm a fan, even though I'm a gun-control advocating lefty.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1883 on: November 19, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »

Hey, that's Larry Correia's web site.     He's a writer of the same caliber as John Ringo, i.e. he tells a great story and occassionally let's his political views show.

Thanks for that.   I'm a fan, even though I'm a gun-control advocating lefty.

Thanks for the link. Great read.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1884 on: November 19, 2016, 04:02:46 PM »

Good god what university?

I would guess University of Chicago, based on what I know of that area.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1885 on: November 20, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »
You nailed it. We had yet another email yesterday, but this time they only used fists. Big improvement. I drive in and out of the neighborhood so haven't had to deal with the crime as much as the undergrads. One guy tried to carjack me with a knife at a red light but didn't account for the fact that I'd speed rapidly in reverse to get away. Since it gets dark at 5pm here, I guess no going outside for the rest of winter.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1886 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
Tried to float the idea of working towards owning a handgun with a bio-metric safe to the wife. We have 10 month old daughter and I think her mother defensive instincts took over since she shot me down aggressively.

I feel like to some degree I would be a more responsible citizen excising my right to bear arms and taking the time to brush up on my shooting every once and a while so I can safely and effectively use and keep the weapon. Since we do live in a country to values the 2nd amendment.

However from a necessity stand point it is tough to make the argument. We live in a pretty well off suburb of San Diego. Violent crime is nearly non existent save probably some domestic issues. Armed home invasion is exceedingly rare. Home defense is a pretty far out argument and I would never try to do conceal carry even if it were possible because day to day I am just too absent minded to be trusted with a fire arm like that. It seems easier to make the counter argument about possible accidents with a child and a hand gun for now.

She didn't really like the, just in case shit hits the fan and having ready access to a fire arm would be nice, either. That would likely be my only reason for really owning a gun anyway. A last resort if we needed to accomplish something for our families safety in a situation where I needed the extra persuasive power.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1887 on: November 21, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
I bought an AR-15 recently.  My wife was pretty annoyed.  However, this weekend while I was out of town picking it up, the cops knocked on the door of our house at 830PM on Saturday in a very nice, moderately well to do suburb, and informed her the house across the street, next to a cop, was robbed earlier that day.

She was much less mad about the new gun.

Also, if your wife is resistant to a handgun, consider a shotgun or other long gun.  MUCH less likely your kid will injure herself or others with a long gun given its heft, complexity, etc. 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1888 on: November 21, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »
Tried to float the idea of working towards owning a handgun with a bio-metric safe to the wife. We have 10 month old daughter and I think her mother defensive instincts took over since she shot me down aggressively.

I feel like to some degree I would be a more responsible citizen excising my right to bear arms and taking the time to brush up on my shooting every once and a while so I can safely and effectively use and keep the weapon. Since we do live in a country to values the 2nd amendment.

However from a necessity stand point it is tough to make the argument. We live in a pretty well off suburb of San Diego. Violent crime is nearly non existent save probably some domestic issues. Armed home invasion is exceedingly rare. Home defense is a pretty far out argument and I would never try to do conceal carry even if it were possible because day to day I am just too absent minded to be trusted with a fire arm like that. It seems easier to make the counter argument about possible accidents with a child and a hand gun for now.

She didn't really like the, just in case shit hits the fan and having ready access to a fire arm would be nice, either. That would likely be my only reason for really owning a gun anyway. A last resort if we needed to accomplish something for our families safety in a situation where I needed the extra persuasive power.

Owning a Firearm is a serious life decision. If everyone in your household is not at least accepting of the responsibility, then it is probably better to wait.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:39:53 AM by Metric Mouse »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1889 on: November 21, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »

Owning a Firearm is a serious life decision. If everyone in yiur household is not at least accepting of the responsibility, then it is probably better to wait.

This.

I want to take a moment to just say that, as a woman, one thing that I've been very bothered by in the "gun community," if there is one, is the casual misogyny of "oh, you know, the wife doesn't understand my thing with guns, hahaha..." implying that "the wife" is somewhat clueless and irrational. In the gun classes I've taken, the instructors casually toss off this stuff, and the male students laugh knowingly. It's fucking irritating.

And I say this as a woman. And a liberal. Who has three guns in my home. And who is a better shot than my husband.

Yes. Women probably as a whole tend to be less comfortable with guns than men. But guys, maybe you could be less dismissive of that attitude as just "silly woman-ness"? 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1890 on: November 22, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »

Owning a Firearm is a serious life decision. If everyone in yiur household is not at least accepting of the responsibility, then it is probably better to wait.

This.

I want to take a moment to just say that, as a woman, one thing that I've been very bothered by in the "gun community," if there is one, is the casual misogyny of "oh, you know, the wife doesn't understand my thing with guns, hahaha..." implying that "the wife" is somewhat clueless and irrational. In the gun classes I've taken, the instructors casually toss off this stuff, and the male students laugh knowingly. It's fucking irritating.

And I say this as a woman. And a liberal. Who has three guns in my home. And who is a better shot than my husband.

Yes. Women probably as a whole tend to be less comfortable with guns than men. But guys, maybe you could be less dismissive of that attitude as just "silly woman-ness"?
well its not just women. I recently dated a guy who ended up being severely bothered by the fact that I own various firearms (obviously not dating any longer). Of course he was more "silly paranoid woman you don't need guns".  Sigh...can't win ;-). But I don't see men assuming their female SOs  don't like or want guns in the home as misogynist, as I assume it was something discussed and expressed already.

ETA no I wouldn't give up owning firearms if a potential SO required it. I woyld make some accommodations for him but that would be a deal breaker.

Yeah, I'm sure it is something they previously discussed. It's just the dismissiveness of the tone. It would be different if the men talked about their wives'/SOs' preferences in a neutral manner. But it's always in this "isn't that ridiculous, wink wink" tone. Ugh. The first gun safety class I took, I was the only woman in it, and the instructor kept doing it, and then looking at me, too, as if trying to enlist me in the whole thing. Like, hey, you're one of the sensible ones. Isn't my wife ridiculous? I mean, there are perfectly valid reasons for not being comfortable having a firearm in your house. Whatever happened to having respect for your partner?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:20:00 PM by Kris »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1891 on: November 23, 2016, 04:59:55 AM »
well its not just women. I recently dated a guy who ended up being severely bothered by the fact that I own various firearms (obviously not dating any longer). Of course he was more "silly paranoid woman you don't need guns".  Sigh...can't win ;-). But I don't see men assuming their female SOs  don't like or want guns in the home as misogynist, as I assume it was something discussed and expressed already.

ETA no I wouldn't give up owning firearms if a potential SO required it. I woyld make some accommodations for him but that would be a deal breaker.

I am now picturing the look of shock on a person's face when they have to move a Glock and a shotgun to set the table for dinner. Open the fridge - fridge gun next to the salad.  Open the silverware drawer - extra magazines where the spoons go. Kabar in the knife block.  "Spatana, do you really need all of these!?"

:D

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1892 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:50 AM »

I am now picturing the look of shock on a person's face when they have to move a Glock and a shotgun to set the table for dinner. Open the fridge - fridge gun next to the salad.  Open the silverware drawer - extra magazines where the spoons go. Kabar in the knife block.  "Spatana, do you really need all of these!?"

:D
If you ever watched Psych, there's one episode where the head detective shoots a guy after pulling a gun out of a bowl of nuts on the kitchen counter.  It's hilarious, but I can't find a clip of it online.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1893 on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »

I'll mansplain it to you.  My wife looks at my gun hobby the same way I look at her purse/shoe/clothes/kitchen stuff habit, as "I don't get why someone wants to spend all that money on that crap."  It's got nothing to do with my wife being clueless and irrational and everything to do with she has different interests than I do, neither one of us sees the appeal in the others' spending.  We're fortunate that we're both mature adults and can agree on amount of spending and not give each other shit over our purchases assuming we adhere to the agreed amounts, but that still means she doesn't "understand." 

The other thing we had to overcome in our marriage early on is that we spend differently; I will basically buy nothing but things I need (food/gas) for months, but might go out and drop $500-1k 1-2x a year on something I want.  My wife would never spend that much at once, but would think nothing of spending $50-100 on whatever 2-3x a month.  So I see a constant stream of bags coming into the house and bitch about that, and she sees a single large purchase and bitches about that.  Once we figured out the spending pattern thing and got comfortable with it, and the fact that it doesn't affect our savings targets, we understood each others' shopping a lot better.

I really don't think there's misogyny, it's just simple men and women having different habits and hobbies. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1894 on: November 23, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »

I really don't think there's misogyny, it's just simple men and women having different habits and hobbies.
And its not even men and women having different hobbies and interests, its just people having different hobbies and interests and not understanding why the other person has the interests that they do. Personally I'd rather have a $500 gun than a $500 purse (or electronic doodad or fancy evening out or spa day or super bowl tickets or whatever) and I'd probably bitch about a partner or friend if they question my interests.

It's accepting that we all have interests and that they differ.  $500 purse, no way.  $700 spinning wheel, sure.  And some interests mean lots of little purchases and some mean a few big purchases.

I think one of the advantages of really tracing spending is that the overall picture becomes clearer - if one is doing lots of little spends and one is doing a few big spends, at the end of the year they may have both spent about the same.  Same for separate fun accounts  you spend yours the way you want and I'll spend mine the way I want.

Dissing a partner for different priorities, on the other hand, isn't nice.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1895 on: November 23, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »

And its not even men and women having different hobbies and interests, its just people having different hobbies and interests and not understanding why the other person has the interests that they do. Personally I'd rather have a $500 gun than a $500 purse (or electronic doodad or fancy evening out or spa day or super bowl tickets or whatever) and I'd probably bitch about a partner or friend if they question my interests.

It's accepting that we all have interests and that they differ.  $500 purse, no way.  $700 spinning wheel, sure.  And some interests mean lots of little purchases and some mean a few big purchases.

I think one of the advantages of really tracing spending is that the overall picture becomes clearer - if one is doing lots of little spends and one is doing a few big spends, at the end of the year they may have both spent about the same.  Same for separate fun accounts  you spend yours the way you want and I'll spend mine the way I want.

Dissing a partner for different priorities, on the other hand, isn't nice.

I also think there's the aspect that people might take this stuff a lot more seriously than it's intended.  If my wife ACTUALLY had a problem with a purchase I made, I probably wouldn't have made that purchase.  When I say she doesn't understand, what I mean is she rolled her eyes and said "that's stupid but do whatever you want."

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1896 on: November 25, 2016, 05:04:05 AM »
I still want a Rambo gun.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1897 on: November 25, 2016, 05:58:04 AM »

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but American citizens with clean criminal histories can almost certainly own it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1898 on: November 25, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but American citizens with clean criminal histories can almost certainly own it.
And that fact puts a big ol' silly grin on my face :)

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1899 on: November 25, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

A Rambo gun is one that never jams, never needs cleaning and never runs out of ammo.   AND, always hits the target.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!