Author Topic: Federer  (Read 5867 times)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
Federer
« on: July 12, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »
So he's 35 and is in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

Perhaps playing the best he's ever played....

Any other tennis fans here? What's chance do you think he has of winning now that the other folks in the top 5 are out?

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Federer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:25:50 PM »
I think he's definitely the favorite now. I think Berdych will probably be a bigger challenge in the semi's than either Querry or Cilic would be in the finals.   But maybe I shouldn't say that - don't want to jinx him :)   

Are you watching the ladies matches?  Whose are your favorites tomorrow?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:25:57 AM »
I think he will probably win, I'm gutted that Andy Murray is out, though. I wish Nadal was still in the competition too.

I'm hoping that Jo Konta will win (as obviously, I'm English) but I think Venus Williams will beat her.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Yeah, I guess I just assume Williams will win whenever she is in a tournament :) so it's not as crazy as Federer's drought and now comeback.

Looks like she's in the final now. Unfortunately I'm going to miss both of the finals this weekend :(

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
Actually wow, Williams hasn't won a grand slam since 2008, that is a pretty good comeback if she wins this and makes some more deep runs this year (she got to the Aus Open Final).

I must admit I follow Federer more than anyone else because I just find watching him play the most enjoyable out of any player (men or women).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
I'm not too bothered that VW won. Probably people in the US already knew this, but I just found out yesterday that she suffers from an autoimmune disease and she is 37 years old so that win yesterday was even more impressive.:)

I'm just about to watch the first men's semi final with Querrey and Cilic. Federer is playing Berdych later. I hope they are both exciting 5 set matches!

Incandenza

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »
Deadspin writer Giri Nathan writes excellent short articles about tennis.  It's tough to find decent tennis journalism, so he was a happy find for me.

http://deadspin.com/dont-blow-it-fed-1796857345

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:55:40 AM »
Yeah, I guess I just assume Williams will win whenever she is in a tournament :) so it's not as crazy as Federer's drought and now comeback.

Looks like she's in the final now. Unfortunately I'm going to miss both of the finals this weekend :(

Venus is in the finals, not Serena.  Serena is pregnant, so obviously taking some time off, but she's been the more dominant of the Williams sisters the last 8+ years (heck, since '02 really).  Had to look this up - she's 35 now and damn near completed the Grand Slam in 2015 at age 33! Wow.  Her career mirrors Tiger's a bit - dominance in '02/'03...some struggles, except she's bounced back, completed a second Serena Slam, and is ranked #4 in the world right now.  She's 23-6 in Grand Slam Finals.  She won the '17 Aussie Open while ~8 weeks pregnant!  GOAT, imo - probably cements her place with one more Slam title.

Venus is 7-8 in Grand Slam Finals with this one pending.  7 of her 8 Finals losses were to her sister (wow!) - the only other one being her first Slam Finals appearance, losing to Martina Hingis in '97.  Contrarily, she's only beaten Serena in two Slam Finals.  Venus is probably top 10 all-time now, and may have been top 5 if her sister didn't bear her in all those Finals.

Fed is also 35.  He's 18-10 all-time in Grand Slam Finals.  6 losses to Nadal, 3 to Djokovic, and that U.S. Open stunner to del Potro.

Weird year for Djokovic - not even into the semis of any Grand Slam.  Injuries have cost Nadal A LOT.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:15:46 PM by DarkandStormy »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
It looks like Federer will win this match...

I think he will probably win, I'm gutted that Andy Murray is out, though. I wish Nadal was still in the competition too.

I'm hoping that Jo Konta will win (as obviously, I'm English) but I think Venus Williams will beat her.

Venus is in the finals, not Serena.

Uh, yeah, I know *confused* that is what I wrote.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »
It looks like Federer will win this match...

Venus is in the finals, not Serena.

Uh, yeah, I know *confused* that is what I wrote.

Mis-quoted.  Whoops.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »

Roger the GOAT!

Greatest Of All Time.

Mis-quoted.  Whoops.

Oh right!:)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 07:29:28 PM »
just noticed this thread...awesome. 

I love tennis.  I played D2 college ball and have coached for 13 years now at the high school level.  My username is aceyou because I have been heavily involved in both tennis and poker in my life, and I thought the name overlapped both. 

What Federer is doing is unreal.  Nadal too really, but Fed especially.  The two of them have the opportunity to rack up even more now it looks like with Murray/Novak struggling with health issues. 

If Fed reaches 20 majors, which is totally doable, maybe even probable at this point, then that would be absolutely insane. 

And it's not like the field is weak or anything.  There are tons of 6'2"+ guys with incredible strength/agility and huge strokes who just can't beat Nadal and Federer.  I think modern strength/conditioning and knowledge of how the body works has been the biggest tennis advancement of the past decade.  The old guys get all the advantages of having more experience and years of practice, but aren't suffering the setbacks due to the body breaking down.  The top 25 is littered with 30 somethings.

Serena and Venus are equally incredible with their achievements.  I can't wait to see if Serena can come back and get another major post-pregnancy. 

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
Reviving this thread to ask you tennis fans: who do you think is going to be the heir apparent to Federer when he finally retires? Is it even someone we know about/a current pro?

If I had to pick one from the field, my guess would be Alexander Zverev. He's only 20, but wow can that kid play!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:56:34 AM »
^You have the man with the 2nd-most Grand Slam wins and the 4th-most Grand Slam wins still active and under 31.  If they follow Fed's 30+ years, they very well could win a few more titles and challenge for that #1 spot.  I know Novak at least, like Fed, is super into nutrition and longevity training.  Unfortunately, it seems like the coaching change hasn't helped him yet.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
^You have the man with the 2nd-most Grand Slam wins and the 4th-most Grand Slam wins still active and under 31.  If they follow Fed's 30+ years, they very well could win a few more titles and challenge for that #1 spot.  I know Novak at least, like Fed, is super into nutrition and longevity training.  Unfortunately, it seems like the coaching change hasn't helped him yet.

I guess I tend to think of them as more contemporary to Federer, even if that isn't quite true. I meant after the Big 4 (5?), who will emerge from the crowded field? In theory, Zverev will be right smack in his prime as these guys fade into the sunset. Not to say that the other guys you mentioned won't win a couple more in the meantime.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »
Federer is rocking it again! Incredible. I think he can take Cilic in the final.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »
Yeah, Cilic is a big underdog going into the finals but he is playing well and has the stamina to scrap out 5 set wins when given the opportunity. I'm glad all of the men wearing those fugly hot-pink Nike shoes and shirts are out of contention. The women's final has a higher chance of being competitive though.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 02:54:46 AM »
Ahh should be in for a pretty easy win for the Fed.

Pity about Cheung, those blisters were so big and deep you could almost see through his foot!

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
Let's not sell Cilic short here. He's a big hitter and his serve has been dominant all tournament long. Federer has great defense and movement so I don't expect we'll see that many aces, but this ought to be one of the matches of the tournament. Sets should be pretty tight, I'd guess Federer will prevail in 4 tightly contested sets.

LITEA, bonus points for reviving the word "fugly". Now that you mention it, that is a pretty apt description of those getups.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
...and he did again. Crying, I mean. And winning

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:56:46 AM by Grog »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »
Federer loses a five-setter in the Wimbledon quarters.  Lost 13-11 (!!!) in the 5th.  Added another Aussie Open title.

Fed's had some absolute classics at Wimbledon....vs. Roddick, vs. Nadal.

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
That was a wonderful match. Did not expect Anderson to come all the way back, but what an effort. He earned his place in the Semi's.

On one level, it isn't surprising that Anderson/Isner made it this far on a nominally "fast" surface that doesn't kick up much, since that plays so well into their heavy serves. The thing I've noticed watching both of them over the last few years is that they've seemingly gone to great lengths to fill out other areas of their game, and it looks like they've both found that breakthrough at once. The American in me wants Isner in the final, but Anderson is also easy to root for.

More than almost anyone else on the ATP tour, it seems like Federer is good at mitigating the power game of guys like Anderson. Amazing how good he has been even when opponents come in with a bazooka of a serve on a surface like grass, extending points, hitting incredible passing shots...Federer truly has been to grass-court tennis what Nadal is on clay. What a time to be a tennis fan.

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:19 AM »
What a time to be a tennis fan.

Definitely! Hopefully, the big 3 (Nadal, Fed and Djokovic) can stay healthy. Without some unfortunate injuries we could have been potentially watching three of the greatest of all time playing at once.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
adding to the conversation...watching at 7-7 in the 5th set of isner vs anderson. 

Predictions: Isner will pull out this match, Nadal will be Novak in 4 sets.  Nadal will be Isner in 4 sets for the title. 

I feel unconfident on all predictions:)

Next top player: Zverev.  6 foot 6, hard worker, great mover, pure ball striker.  Really like the americans Fritz and Tiafoe...american mens tennis has a chance to be relevant again in the coming decade...unless Fed/Rafa/Novak play till they're 50, haha...but seriously:)

Update: Prediction #1 was wrong.  Great job Anderson!  Onto the second Semi:)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:24:42 PM by aceyou »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!