Author Topic: Israel vs Hamas  (Read 39011 times)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Israel vs Hamas
« Reply #650 on: May 03, 2024, 04:57:58 PM »
To hell with Hamas, to hell with Israel's government. There are no heroes here, only victims.
The fact that America supported this slaughter is going to be one of those things kids read about in history books and then cringe at.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #651 on: May 03, 2024, 05:16:34 PM »
I can't speak for everyone on the pro-Palestinian side, but from my perspective I do think Hamas's attack was wrong, taking hostages is wrong, and taking money meant for the development of Palestine and using it for war instead is wrong. But they are already a designated terrorist organization, and as far as I know Canada and the US are not selling them weapons or investing in their companies or providing them with funding.

The protesters on campus know that they aren't directly going to convince Israel to stop bombing children and civilians in Gaza, but the pressure is on universities to stop investing in the Israeli war machine and for the US to stop blocking UN resolutions for ceasefires and providing financial and diplomatic support that allows Israel to act with impunity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this conflict was out of sight out of mind for a long time because it didn't impact me directly, but the scale of Israel's retaliation and the number of children and innocents killed, the blocking of aid, the destruction of land, the displacement of civilians has all added up and I don't feel like I can turn a blind eye anymore. I don't want my tax dollars to support the destruction of Palestine and the Palestinian people. I get that Israel feels threatened by Hamas, but it doesn't mean they get to attack innocent people and destroy land and property that doesn't belong to them and block any attempt at independence and self-governance in the name of self-defense.

Yep.  This is pretty much where I'm at.  Fuck Hamas, they are a terrible terrorist organization.  But it has been about 35,000 or so mostly women and children killed in Palestine with at least 70,000 injured in reckless and careless attacks by an IDF whose leaders have repeatedly used dehumanizing language when talking about the Palestinian people.  If not outright genocide, there are certainly war crimes being committed by Israel and I don't want tax dollars going to help them keep at it.

Given that this war is being fought in a densely populated urban area against an organization that has explicitly embraced using human shields, schools, hospitals, and mosques as military installations (in and of itself a war crime) the level of civilian casualties is relatively low to average compared to other wars. Of course, that number of casualties is straight from Hamas and is completely made up as they will claim every fighter killed was an innocent civilian and their counts of women and children is not internally consistent (that happens when you're making up numbers every day).

Contrast this with Russia shelling apartment blocks in Ukrainian cities with no military targets around for miles - just for the sheer terror effect. When Hamas locates a machine gun bunker in a school or a weapons cache in a mosque or a headquarters on the 4th floor of a 6-story building it's nearly impossible to strike those military targets without civilian casualties.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: May 03, 2024, 09:45:43 PM »
EU nations condemn Hamas for what they describe as use of hospitals, civilians as ‘human shields’

“Hamas is unfortunately using civilian infrastructure and civilians as shields"
https://apnews.com/article/european-union-condemn-hamas-human-shields-2c0d1c04cb38fc4acce37d8d624e1a3f

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: May 04, 2024, 05:40:34 AM »
EU nations condemn Hamas for what they describe as use of hospitals, civilians as ‘human shields’

“Hamas is unfortunately using civilian infrastructure and civilians as shields"
https://apnews.com/article/european-union-condemn-hamas-human-shields-2c0d1c04cb38fc4acce37d8d624e1a3f
Turns out Israel uses AI to determine targets, and allowed 15-20 civilian casualties for just one suspected junior Hamas operative, with a preference for using dumb bombs while they're at home with their families cause that's cheaper and easier. Collateral damage or human shields? Depends on your perspective I guess..
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/03/israel-gaza-ai-database-hamas-airstrikes

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #654 on: May 04, 2024, 08:01:01 AM »
I can't speak for everyone on the pro-Palestinian side, but from my perspective I do think Hamas's attack was wrong, taking hostages is wrong, and taking money meant for the development of Palestine and using it for war instead is wrong. But they are already a designated terrorist organization, and as far as I know Canada and the US are not selling them weapons or investing in their companies or providing them with funding.

The protesters on campus know that they aren't directly going to convince Israel to stop bombing children and civilians in Gaza, but the pressure is on universities to stop investing in the Israeli war machine and for the US to stop blocking UN resolutions for ceasefires and providing financial and diplomatic support that allows Israel to act with impunity.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this conflict was out of sight out of mind for a long time because it didn't impact me directly, but the scale of Israel's retaliation and the number of children and innocents killed, the blocking of aid, the destruction of land, the displacement of civilians has all added up and I don't feel like I can turn a blind eye anymore. I don't want my tax dollars to support the destruction of Palestine and the Palestinian people. I get that Israel feels threatened by Hamas, but it doesn't mean they get to attack innocent people and destroy land and property that doesn't belong to them and block any attempt at independence and self-governance in the name of self-defense.

Yep.  This is pretty much where I'm at.  Fuck Hamas, they are a terrible terrorist organization.  But it has been about 35,000 or so mostly women and children killed in Palestine with at least 70,000 injured in reckless and careless attacks by an IDF whose leaders have repeatedly used dehumanizing language when talking about the Palestinian people.  If not outright genocide, there are certainly war crimes being committed by Israel and I don't want tax dollars going to help them keep at it.

A fact that you brought up many posts ago. Glad to see some folks are starting to wake up and see what horrific actions are being taken by Israel.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #655 on: May 05, 2024, 09:51:29 AM »
"One of the strongest predictors of perceiving a hostile climate toward Israel and Jews is the presence of an active Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) group on campus."
https://www.brandeis.edu/cmjs/noteworthy/ssri/hotspots-antisemitism.html

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #656 on: May 05, 2024, 10:20:40 AM »

Given that this war is being fought in a densely populated urban area against an organization that has explicitly embraced using human shields, schools, hospitals, and mosques as military installations (in and of itself a war crime) the level of civilian casualties is relatively low to average compared to other wars. Of course, that number of casualties is straight from Hamas and is completely made up as they will claim every fighter killed was an innocent civilian and their counts of women and children is not internally consistent (that happens when you're making up numbers every day).

Contrast this with Russia shelling apartment blocks in Ukrainian cities with no military targets around for miles - just for the sheer terror effect. When Hamas locates a machine gun bunker in a school or a weapons cache in a mosque or a headquarters on the 4th floor of a 6-story building it's nearly impossible to strike those military targets without civilian casualties.

also:
“Oct. 17 explosion at Gaza’s Al-Ahli Hospital
medical facility was struck by a Palestinian rocket that went astray”
https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-hamas-war-hospital-rocket-gaza-e0fa550faa4678f024797b72132452e3

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #657 on: May 06, 2024, 07:57:56 AM »

Given that this war is being fought in a densely populated urban area against an organization that has explicitly embraced using human shields, schools, hospitals, and mosques as military installations (in and of itself a war crime) the level of civilian casualties is relatively low to average compared to other wars.

In the first three weeks of the current operation, Swords of Iron, the civilian proportion of total deaths rose to 61%, in what Levy described as “unprecedented killing” for Israeli forces in Gaza. The ratio is significantly higher than the average civilian toll in all the conflicts around the world from the second world war to the 1990s, in which civilians accounted for about half the dead, according to Levy.

“The broad conclusion is that extensive killing of civilians not only contributes nothing to Israel’s security, but that it also contains the foundations for further undermining it,” Levy concluded. “The Gazans who will emerge from the ruins of their homes and the loss of their families will seek revenge that no security arrangements will be able to withstand.”

The study confirms an investigation 10 days ago by the Israeli-Palestinian publication +972 Magazine and the Hebrew-language outlet Local Call, which found Israel was deliberately targeting residential blocks to cause mass civilian casualties in the hope people would turn on their Hamas rulers. The figures will make uneasy reading for the Biden administration, which is facing global criticism and isolation for vetoing a UN security council vote for a ceasefire on Friday.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/09/civilian-toll-israeli-airstrikes-gaza-unprecedented-killing-study

Even using the numbers coming directly from Israel's PR team (saying that they kill about two civilians for every combatant - https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/05/middleeast/israel-hamas-military-civilian-ratio-killed-intl-hnk/index.html) it doesn't appear that facts really back up your comments here.

Of course, that number of casualties is straight from Hamas and is completely made up as they will claim every fighter killed was an innocent civilian and their counts of women and children is not internally consistent (that happens when you're making up numbers every day).

I would prefer unbiased reports from journalists in the area for an impartial accounting of what's going on.  Unfortunately, until the Israeli blockade on information from Gaza is lifted we have to use numbers coming from Gaza's hospitals and doctors.  Again, studies seem to indicate that this appears to be a reasonably reliable way to go about getting this information as evidenced by the Lancet's published paper "No evidence of inflated mortality reporting from the Gaza Ministry of Health" - https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)02713-7/fulltext.

Contrast this with Russia shelling apartment blocks in Ukrainian cities with no military targets around for miles - just for the sheer terror effect.

It's just not credible at this point to argue that Israel isn't attempting to punish the Palestinian people with their actions.  Israel is currently starving the entire civilian Palestinian population in Gaza (https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/04/09/gaza-israels-imposed-starvation-deadly-children).  They have refused to allow enough aid trucks to get through, and have deliberately bombed aid workers who working closely with the IDF.  This is a clear war crime, no different from the Russian shelling of civilian apartment blocks.  Is hasn't been denied by Israel - in fact the Israeli minister of defense bragged about how that was the plan from the very beginning while dehumanizing Palestinians:

Quote from: Yoav Gallant
“We are imposing a complete siege.  There will be no electricity, no food, no water, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting human animals and we act accordingly.”

Israel's stated plan from their minister of defense was to commit war crimes by preventing civilians from getting food and water.  This happened before they even started attacking Hamas in Gaza, and they have carried it through as faithfully as possible despite international condemnation.

When Hamas locates a machine gun bunker in a school or a weapons cache in a mosque or a headquarters on the 4th floor of a 6-story building it's nearly impossible to strike those military targets without civilian casualties.

The aerial bombardment that Israel did at the beginning of the war wasn't striking machine gun bunkers or weapons caches.  It was reckless dumb bomb targeting of low ranking people in Hamas in densely populated areas.  This is (of course) keeping in line with Netanyahu's comments about the IDF in this war:
"They are committed to completely eliminating this evil from the world.  You must remember what Amalek has done to you, says our Holy Bible. And we do remember."

So what exactly is the leader of Israel reminding the Israeli military of here?

Quote from: 1 Samuel 15 2:3
2 This is what the LORD Almighty says: `I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt.
3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'

Yikes.  Certainly in line with what we've seen of the IDF's actions though.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #658 on: May 06, 2024, 10:13:40 AM »
HamAss firing rockets at aid conduit furthers Gazan’s suffering

“Three Israeli Soldiers Killed in Rocket Attack Claimed by Hamas
The Israeli military said that about 14 rockets and mortars were fired toward Kerem Shalom, a conduit for aid into Gaza”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/world/middleeast/hamas-rocket-kerem-shalom-israel.html

“Hamas's armed wing claimed responsibility on Sunday for an attack on the Kerem Shalom crossing into Gaza that Israel said killed three of its soldiers.
Israel's military said 10 projectiles were launched from Rafah in southern Gaza towards the area of the crossing, which it said was now closed to aid trucks going into the coastal enclave”
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-claims-responsibility-attack-israel-gaza-border-crossing-casualties-2024-05-05/

Maj. Gen. Yifat Tomer Yerushalmi, the Israeli military’s chief advocate, said in a letter to commanders:
“actions and statements, on the part of individuals who do not represent the whole, are contrary to the IDF being a professional, moral and state-based army, and they will no longer be recognized in the IDF,” she said, referring to the Israel Defense Forces, the military’s formal name. “They also cause the state of Israel and the IDF strategic damage in the international arena, the seriousness of which is difficult to overstate.”
The letter came a day after Israeli military chief of staff Herzi Halevi issued a separate letter that also reminded commanders of the need to prevent misconduct and law of war violations.

“We must be careful not to use force where it is not required, to distinguish between a terrorist and one who is not, not to take what is not ours—a souvenir or parts of a weapon—and not to shoot revenge videos. We are not on a spree of killing, revenge, or genocide,”
https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/israel-military-investigates-soldiers-for-criminal-offenses-in-gaza-war-8fe2d947

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2024, 09:47:16 AM »
Does anyone know the specific details of the ceasefire that Hamas agreed to yesterday?  I'm wondering what caused Israel to reject it.

The best I can find is that it would be a 6-8 week pause in fighting,  Hamas would release all Israeli hostages.  In return Israel was  expected to release some Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, withdraw its troops from some parts of Gaza, and allow Palestinians to travel from the south to north Gaza.

Not sure what the sticking point was.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: May 07, 2024, 09:56:49 AM »
Does anyone know the specific details of the ceasefire that Hamas agreed to yesterday?  I'm wondering what caused Israel to reject it.

The best I can find is that it would be a 6-8 week pause in fighting,  Hamas would release all Israeli hostages.  In return Israel was  expected to release some Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, withdraw its troops from some parts of Gaza, and allow Palestinians to travel from the south to north Gaza.

Not sure what the sticking point was.

NY post claims that the Israeli's rejected the offer because Hamas agreed to return the hostages, but many are deceased, up to 77 of the 128 remaining hostages, so Israel found this unacceptable. Unsure of the truth around any of these claims though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #661 on: May 08, 2024, 07:44:27 PM »
Woah.

Biden has threatened to cut Israel off of their weapons if they go into refugee packed Rafah, and acknowledged that Israel's tactics so far in this war have been killing civilians with American provided weapons.  I never thought I'd ever see the day that America talks about not giving Israel military aid.

Crazy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #662 on: Today at 01:54:48 PM »
Yay student protestors?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: Today at 02:17:10 PM »
Yay student protestors?

I mean, pretty much. The kids are alright.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!