Author Topic: Electric Cars: Can they finally become popular in the United States?  (Read 533535 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Electric Cars: Can they finally become popular in the United States?
« Reply #1250 on: November 06, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »
The big problem in the USA for going all electric is the smaller towns.   Our town of 10,000 people has about 6 total chargers.  Imagine if everyone went electric over the next couple years.  Even if most charge at home, they would need to find space to build many many more charging stations.   I don't know if the electric grid servicing our area could handle 5,000 vehicles charging at 20,000 watts each either.  That is 100 MW.

Can your town handle 5,000 vehicles filling up with gas simultaneously?

You’re too smart to be that flippant. How long does it take to fill 5,000 cars with gas?  Now do EVs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1251 on: November 06, 2021, 05:39:23 PM »
Regarding the "free charge" at shops: supermarkets here in Germany are a much more cutthroat thing as in the US. Just look at your nearest ALDI. That is the price they have to compete with (and I would wager ALDI has a higher profit margin on tehir goods in the US than in Germany), in a very price sensitive country.
Dishing out at least 100K to build chargers AND paying the electricity - I think people can't even buy that much if they do a weeks worth of shopping to offset he cost.

I don't think anyone is advocating for free level 3 fast charging at shops. But level 2 is so low cost that you may as well do it anywhere people park for 60 minutes or more.

The $100k comment had me confused, but I think you are right that we are talking about different things. L2 chargers (or simply “an outlet” in the EU’s 230v) are cheap to install - my workplace just put in two for under $1k total, and they should last for years. They are popping up at lots of breweries, restaurants, shopping centers and other places where getting someone to stay there for an hour or more is the core business challenge. The electricity cost per-hour is generally less than $1.

Can’t really comment on the profit margins between the US and Germany, but they are both regulated free markets, no?

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1252 on: November 06, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
The big problem in the USA for going all electric is the smaller towns.   Our town of 10,000 people has about 6 total chargers.  Imagine if everyone went electric over the next couple years.  Even if most charge at home, they would need to find space to build many many more charging stations.   I don't know if the electric grid servicing our area could handle 5,000 vehicles charging at 20,000 watts each either.  That is 100 MW.

Can your town handle 5,000 vehicles filling up with gas simultaneously?

You’re too smart to be that flippant. How long does it take to fill 5,000 cars with gas?  Now do EVs.

You are also too smart to be that flippant.  If you can't charge your EV where you normally park--like at home or at work--then you won't own an EV.  There is plenty of time and grid capacity to charge EVs all day during the day and all night during the night.  Most cars are parked most of the time.  There is plenty of time to charge.  The gas station model where everyone goes to a central point to fuel makes no sense for EVs. 

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1253 on: November 06, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »
I have an EV and between charging at home every 2-3 nights, occasional charging at work and fast charging every 1-2 weeks, I’ve never even come close to running out of power.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1254 on: November 06, 2021, 09:29:44 PM »
I'll grant you that some of you folks have talked about the reliability and longevity of electric cars.

Still, I have a concern.  Farmers are fighting John Deere over software.  Farmers like to do things for themselves.  Tractors have a lot of "proprietary" software and this makes it hard for farmers.  I guess there are lawsuits over the issue.

Even internal combustion vehicles are having the same issue.

Will this be as bad for electric cars?  Will one be beholden to the dealer? Will independent mechanics and service people be able to work on electric cars now and in the future? 

I think this has been mentioned, but a lot of you people seem to be the type to just bring it to the dealer without much concern about the cost.  I'm just wondering if electric is the way to go for the type of people, for example,  who nurse an old pickup along.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #1255 on: November 06, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »
What?  An electric grid?  We can't possibly do that, what if everyone turns their oven on full blast, cranks the air conditioner, and runs the hot water with every light in the house on all summer long?  I mean, people might!

I don't know if the electric grid servicing our area could handle 5,000 vehicles charging at 20,000 watts each either.  That is 100 MW.

Fortunately, those numbers have literally nothing to do with the reality of EV use/charging/etc, which works out to about 500W per car additional load on the grid, and it's an exceedingly flexible load.

The average US driving is around 35 miles a day.  With an EV, this works out to in the range of 10-12kWh/day average, though a bit more in the winter from pack and vehicle heating.  That's around 500W average load, and if you've got things set up to spread the load out, it should end up around there.  So, your 5000 vehicle, on average, would be closer to 2.5MW, not 100.  There are a variety of ways to ballpark the usage estimates, but I've used several, and you end up requiring around 25% more electrical grid energy delivery to get all personal transportation over to EV miles in the US.  Fleet use is going to drive that up a bit more, but they're also going to be a good bit more sensitive to power delivery and are on rate plans that separately pay for energy delivered and peak power capacity (demand charges - they're a royal pain if you're peaky, and things like peak shaver battery systems can pay for themselves in a right hurry if you're in that sort of use case).

An awful lot of people are likely to be able to charge EVs during the "mid-day solar peak" - if you have slow chargers (2-3kW per stall) at work, paired with solar, EVs are going to be substantially charging in the 10AM-2PM window when there tends to be a surplus of solar on the grid, and not as much demand.  Demand typically peaks in the afternoon to evening, with perhaps a spike in the morning some of the year, but adding solar, and adding mid-day charging mostly counteract each other.

I'd love to see a lot more unmetered charging stations (non-networked, donation if anything) scattered around - I've written about it before: https://www.sevarg.net/2020/04/27/slow-dumb-charging-quit-charging-for-ev/  The summary is that a lot of the time, you spend more on expensive chargers and management fees than you'd just spend on the power.  So stop doing that.  I don't like Chargepoint because they operate under this "Well, of course you have to recover your power costs, management costs, installation costs, have high power chargers, and pay us to monitor them, oh, and use our payment network..." model that I just do not like in the slightest.

And, as noted, this isn't an overnight change.  It's a gradual change, over at best probably two decades, if not more.  Production capacity simply doesn't exist yet for personal transportation, and with the average age of cars on the road in the US being 11-12 years, it takes a long time to turn over the fleet anyway.

Moving home heating away from natural gas will have a far higher grid impact than EVs.

Will this be as bad for electric cars?  Will one be beholden to the dealer? Will independent mechanics and service people be able to work on electric cars now and in the future?

Tesla is absolutely that bad.  Very few other companies are.  I've got "dealership access" to our Volt with some communication modules and software I picked up, and I can do anything they can do.  I haven't had to use it, but the option is there, if you care about it.  I would expect more independent EV shops in the future, though a real problem with them is getting insurance.  Independent EV shops tend to end up with a concentration of weirdly behaving EVs, which are quite a bit more prone to fires than other shops.  The details will get worked out eventually, but it's going to look somewhat different from your corner independent ICE shop.

On the flip side, there genuinely is less to go wrong.  Unfortunately, when stuff does go wrong, it's hard to do things other than just swap whole modules around.  I'm hopeful that there will be more shops doing deep level repairs going forward, but this sort of stuff is just going out of style across the board.  Very few people do deep level repairs on laptops/phones/etc anymore, they just replace the things. :/

I think this has been mentioned, but a lot of you people seem to be the type to just bring it to the dealer without much concern about the cost.  I'm just wondering if electric is the way to go for the type of people, for example,  who nurse an old pickup along.

The early EV adopters do tend that way from what I've seen - "Who cares about the dealer service cost?  It's just like any other luxury car."  I've heard one person argue, halfway seriously, that if you're in a tech dense area like Seattle, owning a Tesla is worth it, just because of who you can rub shoulders with in the service centers.

But even if you're prone to keeping older stuff running, an EV as a "transportation appliance" will save you enough money over a lot of other options that even with a major repair or two, you can still come out ahead.  If you've got, say, an old pickup, keeping miles off it means it will last longer.  We have a 2012 Chevy Volt and a 1997 F350.  The truck should last about the rest of my life at this point, since it doesn't get many miles on it. Having the truck (CCLB, diesel, 4WD) also means we can get away with a smaller, more efficient "people mover" (the Volt), because anything the Volt won't fit, the truck can do.  There's no reason to have a mid-sized SUV or such for infrequent use.  Stupid-cheap transport miles on the Volt, the capability to do anything we want with the truck (except extreme off road stuff, it's too long and heavy for that sort of thing - plus, leaf springs around, I'll pass on the long Jeep trails and just borrow an old Jeep).

I know people doing some interesting hacking on the Leafs, in terms of building higher capacity packs for them and such.  It's doable to fiddle with stuff, just a different set of skills than ICE tweaking.  It'll probably be about the same as the transition from carburetors and points to EFI and electronic ignition.  A lot of people 20 years older than me grumble about the electronic stuff.  I grew up on it, and I think the reliability of not having to fiddle with points, to have the computer whine about what's wrong ("Misfire on cylinder 3!" is way more useful to me for troubleshooting than "I've got a miss, somewhere, when I'm trying to merge onto the highway..."), and being able to remap stuff fairly easily is worth a lot.  There's a learning curve for EVs, and it'll happen.

But, seriously, the cost savings unless you have crazy expensive power... it's huge.  The Volt costs us around $0.03/mi in energy to run on grid power, and it's actually about half that because we have a large solar array (which over the expected lifespan is half the cost of our already very cheap power).  My truck runs closer to $0.30/mi in fuel costs alone.

Just don't buy a Tesla if you want non-dealership service options.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1256 on: November 07, 2021, 07:43:14 AM »

The average US driving is around 35 miles a day.  With an EV, this works out to in the range of 10-12kWh/day average, though a bit more in the winter from pack and vehicle heating.  That's around 500W average load, and if you've got things set up to spread the load out, it should end up around there.  So, your 5000 vehicle, on average, would be closer to 2.5MW, not 100.  There are a variety of ways to ballpark the usage estimates, but I've used several, and you end up requiring around 25% more electrical grid energy delivery to get all personal transportation over to EV miles in the US.  Fleet use is going to drive that up a bit more, but they're also going to be a good bit more sensitive to power delivery and are on rate plans that separately pay for energy delivered and peak power capacity (demand charges - they're a royal pain if you're peaky, and things like peak shaver battery systems can pay for themselves in a right hurry if you're in that sort of use case).

It almost seems like the conversion of all cars from gasoline to electric isn't going to do that much for the environment if the total energy that had been required was only 25% of the electrical grid energy for a neighborhood (I assume you mean non industrial as well?).   I had never run the numbers but I thought that gasoline energy use was a much larger figure than that.  I am assuming that a gasoline car engine is about as efficient as generating the power from a coal/nat. gas/oil plant, converting that power to high voltage, running it across power lines, converting it back down to a lower voltage, running it through a charging station and then finally the small losses when charging a battery pack.

All the rest of our consumption are those ovens, air conditioners and i-phones?

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1257 on: November 07, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »

It almost seems like the conversion of all cars from gasoline to electric isn't going to do that much for the environment if the total energy that had been required was only 25% of the electrical grid energy for a neighborhood (I assume you mean non industrial as well?).   I had never run the numbers but I thought that gasoline energy use was a much larger figure than that.  I am assuming that a gasoline car engine is about as efficient as generating the power from a coal/nat. gas/oil plant, converting that power to high voltage, running it across power lines, converting it back down to a lower voltage, running it through a charging station and then finally the small losses when charging a battery pack.

The calculation goes something like this:  An internal combustion engine is about 35% efficient maximum.    However, most of the time the engine is not operated close to maximum efficiency.  For exampling at idle or while braking the efficiency is zero.     An EV on the other hand is about 75% efficient.   So even with the energy loss from a conventional powerplant and the transmission losses an EV is still a net energy savings.

And while a huge chunk of our electricity is from coal and natural gas, a decent amount comes from non-carbon sources like nuclear, hydro, and increasingly from renewables.  So there is a benefit on that side of the ledger too.

One thing that sometimes gets lost in these EV discussions is that while reducing carbon dioxide is great, EVs reduce lots of other air pollution too.  SOx, NOx, particulates, ozone, etc.  and those tend to be emitted in our breathing zones.   The original push towards EVs and hydrids was to meet fleet emission requirements in California.  Carbon dioxide didn't figure into the calculation in those days. 

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1258 on: November 07, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »

Gas cars max at average 30% of available energy used to actually propel the vehicle. Older vehicles are worse, of course. Standard natural gas electricity out of the plant is about 45% (minus line and charging losses it is still more efficient by the time it gets into a vehicle), but that can go to as high as 80% if it is a newer combined cycle plant. And there are a lot of these newer plants built or being built. Coal power is 35% ish, but a lot of those are getting retired as they age out. Too expensive to meet emissions standards to keep them running.

Power plants are more efficient than vehicles because they have better ways of recycling waste heat compared to cars. EVs are more efficient than gas cars even considering line losses. That's not to mention the better reduction in CO2 emissions

EV's are measurably better for the environment in basically every metric except the lithium and cobalt mining that has to be done to make the batteries. But we don't care about that because it is only damaging the ecosystems of other countries ;)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #1259 on: November 07, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
It almost seems like the conversion of all cars from gasoline to electric isn't going to do that much for the environment if the total energy that had been required was only 25% of the electrical grid energy for a neighborhood (I assume you mean non industrial as well?).

It's useful, but certainly not the only thing that has to change.  There's a lot of industrial production that puts out massive amount of carbon and other stuff, but a problem with cars is that they're distributed sources spread, typically, around where people are.  I don't care a bit about oxides of nitrogen in the middle of nowhere, but they're a problem in cities.

I had never run the numbers but I thought that gasoline energy use was a much larger figure than that.

eia.gov has stuff you can use to ballpark it.

I am assuming that a gasoline car engine is about as efficient as generating the power from a coal/nat. gas/oil plant, converting that power to high voltage, running it across power lines, converting it back down to a lower voltage, running it through a charging station and then finally the small losses when charging a battery pack.

That's actually a bad assumption.  If you're looking purely at carbon emissions, if you're on a pure coal grid segment, with older plants, you end up with a BEV being around the same as a high efficiency hybrid - 45-50mpg or so.  Change any of that, and your EV is lower carbon, and it also cleans up as the grid cleans up.

A decent modern power plant is 50-60% thermal efficiency, if you're running a combined cycle plant (a modern NG plant, some of the newer coal stuff too).  A car gets you around 30% thermal efficiency in regular use, maybe 40% on the highway.  Some do a bit better, but it's fairly poor.

Our Volt gets about 3 mi/kWh on electric/highway, about 35mpg on gas.  Gasoline is 33.7kWh/gal thermal, so 962Wh/mi on gas, 333Wh/mi on electric, or a thermal efficiency of around 35%, give or take.  A Prius is a bit slipperier and probably around 40% thermal efficiency.  To get an ICE up to 50% requires container ship motors turning 70-90 RPM at cruise power (no, that's not a typo).

And you can charge with solar/wind/etc for EVs.  It's quite a bit cleaner.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1260 on: November 07, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
I just read that only 5% of power is lost in transmission lines and distribution....I thought it was higher than that.

It does sound that if we get the recycling part of EV batteries down, it will be the way to go...especially if some of the fusion projects work out (I know they have always been a decade or two away for the past few decades but they seem to be getting very close).

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1261 on: November 07, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
It doesn't change the larger points being made about ICE efficiency, but for the sake of clarity modern gasoline engines can crack 40% thermal efficiency, and typically don't use fuel while braking and often shut off completely while 'idling'. Diesels can be more like 45+% thermal efficiency.

So much of the climate/emissions discussion these days revolves around carbon and greenhouse gases, but as mentioned, tailpipe emissions like NOx, Hydrocarbons, particulates are also a factor. These have major impacts on local air quality. So, even if an EV had similar carbon production to an ICE (they 're typically much better), they'd still have no smog forming tailpipe emissions which means cleaner air.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1262 on: November 07, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
I just read that only 5% of power is lost in transmission lines and distribution....I thought it was higher than that.

It does sound that if we get the recycling part of EV batteries down, it will be the way to go...especially if some of the fusion projects work out (I know they have always been a decade or two away for the past few decades but they seem to be getting very close).

Actually, if you consider the lifecycle footprint today, EVs win out over ICE vehicles by a wide margin.  That will only improve as recycling improves and as the grid moves away from the more polluting sources of energy.

One does not need to hold out for the arrival of the near-mythical fusion power generation (or even for there to be more ‘conventional’ renewable energy) in order for BEVs and PHEVs to be a much better* environmental choice.

*’Better’ of course does not mean impact-free. The  best choice remains driving less and walking/biking more, and that likely will never change. Remember the ‘Reduce-Reuse-Recycle’ mantra puts ‘Reuse’ as the primary action.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1263 on: November 07, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »
As I noted earlier, electric vehicles use Domestic energy.  The little money that electric vehicle owners spend on "fuel" does not go to crude oil suppliers who may not be on everyone's favorite list.  There is a reason that Saudi Arabia is as rich as it is.  Just think what could be done for people in the United States if all that oil money that has been exported stayed here to be spent here.

I don't own one, but maybe electric vehicle owners are patriots by default.

I guess you can apply words like independent and freedom,.......stuff you hear on the 4th of July.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1264 on: November 07, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »
As I noted earlier, electric vehicles use Domestic energy.  The little money that electric vehicle owners spend on "fuel" does not go to crude oil suppliers who may not be on everyone's favorite list.  There is a reason that Saudi Arabia is as rich as it is.  Just think what could be done for people in the United States if all that oil money that has been exported stayed here to be spent here.

I don't own one, but maybe electric vehicle owners are patriots by default.

I guess you can apply words like independent and freedom,.......stuff you hear on the 4th of July.

My FIL loves to pick fights, and lately he’s been railing against EVs with highly dodgy and selective factoids about why it’s not a better* choice for the environment. His standby argument is how destructive and detrimental cobalt mining is, particularly to the miners. 

It’s a fair point, and one weak-spot in EVs.  But it’s also meaningless out of context.  Guess what substance has - by far - been responsible or fueled (pun intended) more wars, oppressive regimes, and oppression over the last century?  It ain’t cobalt or lithium. There’s only one commodity keeping states like Russia, Iran, Venezuela, the Congo, etc.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1265 on: November 07, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
We just bought a 2022 Nissan Leaf, to replace our 2015 Nissan Leaf that got totaled in September.  Second time in my life I have bought a new car.  We stuck with a leaf because there was an actual car on the lot we could buy.  I can't even test drive the bolt.  Bonus - we have the snow tires and rims already.  Old leaf had a range of 150km while new leaf is north of 300km. 

I am going to miss the cute design of old leaf but I miss driving an EV SO MUCH. 

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1266 on: November 07, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
I think EVs will last much longer than gas cars because of the much fewer moving parts. As evidenced on this forum, modern gas cars can easily last 20 years. Even with expected battery degradation over time, they can last for several decades. My EV already has a wildly excessive range for 99% of my lifetime needs. Even with a 40% loss it’d cover my commuting easily. Unless the doors or some part falls off and isn’t made anymore, I doubt we’ll need to ever replace this vehicle.

Funny how so many people suddenly care about poor miners in Africa when five years ago they couldn’t give a s***. Yes that need to be fixed pronto, but that’s not what’s going to destroy Africa. It being too hot to work outside without dropping dead will.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:34:10 PM by Abe »

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1267 on: November 07, 2021, 09:57:21 PM »

This calls for Occam's Razor and some high school physics, even before reading up on it. "Power Loss" when you're talking about electricity is better known as "Waste Heat." If the grid was hugely inefficient in transmission and distribution, then all that distribution equipment would heat up a lot more than it does. You'd never see snow (or ice) on power lines.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1268 on: November 07, 2021, 10:08:14 PM »
I am going to miss the cute design of old leaf but I miss driving an EV SO MUCH.

Preach it brother! (sister? I have no idea... insert the appropriate one there...)

I drove the ICE today to drop a load of metal scrap off with a scrapper, while also out getting the last groceries for dinner. The ICE was never a high performance vehicle (Honda Fit), but I really noticed the body roll in corners, how slow the acceleration is and such after having driven the EV for a few weeks since I last drove the ICE.

The Fit is a lot cuter than the EV, but nobody's currently selling a Fit-class EV in the states (VW can go sod off for not bringing the ID.3 here). Maybe someday Tesla will do a small, hot-hatch type EV.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #1269 on: November 07, 2021, 10:38:45 PM »
I think EVs will last much longer than gas cars because of the much fewer moving parts.

Jury is out on that one.  Have you spent much time around a junkyard, or really cheap cars?  Outside certain models that have known weak points (Taurus and related transmissions as an example), most cars aren't in the junkyard for mechanical failures.  They're in the junkyard because of a lot of wear and tear, beat up interiors, etc.  And a lot of people, including on this forum, play the "Oh, yes, that repair is going to cost more than your car is worth, you'd better buy a new $30k car to save money, nodnod!" game.  I've put cars in the junkyard that were legitimately worn out mechanically, usually after getting quite a few tens of thousands of extra miles out of them.  Short of serious chassis rust, there's not much in an older car that can't be fixed cheaply.  Even if you need a transmission or engine, just go get a junkyard pull from one that's been wrecked in the rear (though I'd take a manual transmission that felt OK out of just about anything, they rarely fail catastrophically).

"Fewer moving parts" doesn't really gain you much when the moving parts last 300k+ miles and aren't the reason a lot of cars are scrapped.

As evidenced on this forum, modern gas cars can easily last 20 years.

... how about "As evidenced by the fact that the average age of personal cars/trucks on the US roads is up to 11 or 12 years"?  Not just this forum.  Just look around at a not-super-wealthy-coastal-city and you'll find all sorts of stuff rolling around well past that.  My truck is 24 years old, and I still see tons on the roads out here.

Even with expected battery degradation over time, they can last for several decades. My EV already has a wildly excessive range for 99% of my lifetime needs. Even with a 40% loss it’d cover my commuting easily. Unless the doors or some part falls off and isn’t made anymore, I doubt we’ll need to ever replace this vehicle.

The problem there is that battery capacity loss is not linear with time, and is more than just capacity.  Internal resistance starts to go up, and will typically double around the 80% "end of life" of a lot of packs.  By the time you get down to 60% original capacity, the internal resistance has gone to hell and back, and the voltage sag under load is so bad that you struggle to get good power out of the cells.  We'll see, but I wouldn't expect a 50 year service life on a current EV without a pack rebuild or two.

Funny how so many people suddenly care about poor miners in Africa when five years ago they couldn’t give a s***. Yes that need to be fixed pronto, but that’s not what’s going to destroy Africa. It being too hot to work outside without dropping dead will.

Oh bullshit.  Lots of people who pay attention to battery chemistry and mineral sourcing were talking about the cobalt issue a decade ago.  There's been some work to reduce the cobalt requirements, but the real promise lately is the renewed development in LiFePO4 chemistry.  That was more or less a "dead chemistry" a decade ago with all the work being on LiCoO2 (terrifying), NCA/NMC/etc (still scary), and LiMn had mostly died out too.  LiFePO4 is far easier to source the materials for, and is enough more stable to be pretty damned boring.  You pay an energy density penalty for that, but it's an awful lot harder to make it thermally runaway when abused, and it emits a good bit less energy in the process, not that it really matters once you've actually convinced it to run away.  But things that will get a NCA/NMC pack to run away will just annoy a LFP pack.  LiCoO2... look at it wrong and the damned thing starts self heating.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1270 on: November 08, 2021, 03:53:12 AM »
but the real promise lately is the renewed development in LiFePO4 chemistry.  That was more or less a "dead chemistry" a decade ago

FWIW the Chinese government funded extensive Lifepo4 battery cell development over a decade ago, which is why we are where we are today.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1271 on: November 08, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »

Preach it brother! (sister? I have no idea... insert the appropriate one there...)

I drove the ICE today to drop a load of metal scrap off with a scrapper, while also out getting the last groceries for dinner. The ICE was never a high performance vehicle (Honda Fit), but I really noticed the body roll in corners, how slow the acceleration is and such after having driven the EV for a few weeks since I last drove the ICE.

The Fit is a lot cuter than the EV, but nobody's currently selling a Fit-class EV in the states (VW can go sod off for not bringing the ID.3 here). Maybe someday Tesla will do a small, hot-hatch type EV.
I have been driving a 2004 Acura TL, a 2021 Mitsubishi RVR and 2009 Mercedes SL550 (it was my late father's and my stepmom kept it because my brothers don't want to see anyone driving it around town) the past 6 weeks.  None of these cars has the torque in the low end as the 2015 Leaf (that I paid 18K CAN for in 2018). 
The Merc does hug the road mighty fine and all the bells and whistles (vents in the seat at the neck are particularly fine) make it super super luxurious.  But it rumbles so loud, I can't hear myself think. I filled it up -----100CAN---- (heart attack) it only takes premium and one trip into the City was a third of a tank (heart attack).
 (FYI it did cost north of 100KCAN in 2009 - My Dad bless his heart was fortunately as good at making money as spending it).
The RVR does not handle nicely and it is pretty gutless. It's only selling points are...thinking....good back up camera....cargo capacity...Yes cargo capacity. It is good for scrapyard runs and hauling harvests and moving houses.  That is about it.
While I have never really enjoyed the Acura, it does hold the road nicely and has some get up and go (it was bloody expensive even when we bought it used in 2007)
- but again, the responsiveness of an EV is unmatched.

And the quiet...I can listen to the radio at such a low volume and still hear it. 

And no one realizes just how nice it is to drive by a gas station when the rain/snow/sleet is coming down sideways and pull into the sheltered comfort of my own garage and pop the charger on for the night.

@AccidentialMustache - My pronouns are she/her

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1272 on: November 08, 2021, 11:16:34 AM »
I'll grant you that some of you folks have talked about the reliability and longevity of electric cars.

Still, I have a concern.  Farmers are fighting John Deere over software.  Farmers like to do things for themselves.  Tractors have a lot of "proprietary" software and this makes it hard for farmers.  I guess there are lawsuits over the issue.

Even internal combustion vehicles are having the same issue.

So - - - people could buy one of the many other brands of tractors to avoid the proprietary software problem. I see where you are coming from b/c I feel the same way about Tesla. Anyone that trades cars every 3-4 years won't have anything to worry about but us long term or DIY owners... 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1273 on: November 08, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »

https://spectrum.ieee.org/recycled-batteries-good-as-newly-mined

I see in the news but haven't done any deep dive reading personally that recycling is a hot topic with investors right now.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1274 on: November 08, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »
In fairness, fast chargers cannot possibly price their services at retail electricity rate - the equipment is very expensive, utilization rate is low, and delivering higher amps is more expensive than leisurely using 3.3 or 7.7kW. Which is fine, we should really need them only on longer trips, the rest being covered by home/workplace charging. Now, the infrastructure for that is sorely lacking atm in the US, which gives homeowners the easiest path to EV ownership.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1275 on: November 08, 2021, 01:16:23 PM »
In fairness, fast chargers cannot possibly price their services at retail electricity rate - the equipment is very expensive, utilization rate is low, and delivering higher amps is more expensive than leisurely using 3.3 or 7.7kW. Which is fine, we should really need them only on longer trips, the rest being covered by home/workplace charging. Now, the infrastructure for that is sorely lacking atm in the US, which gives homeowners the easiest path to EV ownership.

On the other side of that coin, commercial power is vastly less expensive than residential power (about half if I compare what our datacenter bills vs what my house gets billed).

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1276 on: November 08, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »
On the other side of that coin, commercial power is vastly less expensive than residential power (about half if I compare what our datacenter bills vs what my house gets billed).

Yes - but imagine using expensive equipment that sits idle most of the day to sell pennies worth of product. Money are simply not there.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1277 on: November 08, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »
I think the F-150 Lightning will be THE barometer of EV success, both as a fleet and a personal vehicle. It will be interesting to see how it affects businesses, charging points, and grid load over time. Also, how it will feed the EV components recycling industry.
I will not write off ICE. There's a purpose and reason for them (medium/long-haul cross country) but let's see what disruption the EVs bring in that segment.
I think we are in for some interesting times.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1278 on: November 09, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »
I will not write off ICE. There's a purpose and reason for them (medium/long-haul cross country) but let's see what disruption the EVs bring in that segment.

I suspect fuel cells have the best chance at competing here within the next decade or two. We haven't seen them take off yet, but in a carbon free economy they make way more sense than batteries for long haul trucking. Plenty of US based trucking companies in the background evaluating them.

https://www.navistar.com/our-path-forward/hydrogen-fuel-cell

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1279 on: November 09, 2021, 08:31:48 AM »

I suspect fuel cells have the best chance at competing here within the next decade or two. We haven't seen them take off yet, but in a carbon free economy they make way more sense than batteries for long haul trucking. Plenty of US based trucking companies in the background evaluating them.

https://www.navistar.com/our-path-forward/hydrogen-fuel-cell

Pretty much any company in the commercial or energy sector is focusing more on fuel cells in the medium to long term:

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/drive-systems/hydrogen/start-of-testing-genh2-truck-prototype.html

https://www.volvogroup.com/en/news-and-media/news/2021/apr/news-3960135.html

https://www.cummins.com/new-power

https://fuelcellsworks.com/news/isuzu-hino-toyota-to-accelerate-to-work-on-development-of-battery-and-fuel-cell-electric-vehicles/

https://www.railway-technology.com/news/siemens-mobility-to-test-hydrogen-train-on-bavarian-rail-route/

And it's not just trucks, buses and trains either. Some of those companies are aiming to get into hydrogen production as well:

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2021/05/24/cummins-selects-spain-its-gigawatt-electrolyzer-plant-partners-iberdrola

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1280 on: November 09, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
I think the F-150 Lightning will be THE barometer of EV success, both as a fleet and a personal vehicle. It will be interesting to see how it affects businesses, charging points, and grid load over time. Also, how it will feed the EV components recycling industry.

agreed with the f150 its the most popular vehicle in this country.  If Ford changes its production plans a 2nd time to ramp them even higher it will be a great sign. Still only planning to ramp to about 10% current sales in 4 years.  Maybe its supply chain constraints.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1281 on: November 09, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »
Pretty much any company in the commercial or energy sector is focusing more on fuel cells in the medium to long term:

I quite like your style!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1282 on: November 09, 2021, 10:46:38 AM »

agreed with the f150 its the most popular vehicle in this country.  If Ford changes its production plans a 2nd time to ramp them even higher it will be a great sign. Still only planning to ramp to about 10% current sales in 4 years.  Maybe its supply chain constraints.

Def a supply chain issue. A cousin is a supply chain guy at a major Japanese tire brand with operations in the USA. His take is the whole supply end, scaling up and scaling out, refocusing/pivoting to a new customer line, internal and external training, plus any major 2nd/3rd order effects need to worked on. 10% of sales in 4 years should give Ford sufficient time to iron major issues out, eliminate first gen bugs, and have the supply chain ready to cater to masses.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1283 on: November 09, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »

I have no personal or professional interests in getting an F-150 Lightning, but I completely agree with this sentiment. I hope roll-out goes well and it spurs greater interests for EVs in general, which can flow down to producing more EV's that I'd actually be interested in :-P.

To that end, does anyone on this forum own a Polestar 2? I think it's a neat looking car and I may even test drive one just to get the experience, but it is still a little costly for my liking.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:33:42 PM by BuffaloStache »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1284 on: November 11, 2021, 10:50:48 AM »
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/01/top-20-plugin-electric-vehicles-in-the-world-september-2021/

Global plugin vehicle registrations were up 98% in September 2021 compared to September 2020, scoring a record 685,000 units (or 10.2% share of the overall auto market, the first time the global market share reached two digits). That’s a significant 16% increase over the previous record, set in June, and expect the two final months of the year to also become record months.

Fully electric vehicles (BEVs) represented 75% of plugin registrations in September, above the year-to-date tally (68%). In total, there were some 512,000 registrations of BEVs, or 7.6% share of the overall auto market.

With the YTD tally now above 4.3 million units (and at a record 7% share), and knowing that the last months of the year are traditionally strong sellers, we should be seeing the plugin vehicle (PEV) market easily surpass 6 million units this year, with the 7 million unit mark being a true possibility!

For comparison sake, 2020 ended with 3.1 million units registered. Not bad, considering the current chip shortage, eh?

Can't find a break out of U.S. sales just yet, but worldwide EVs made up 10% of new auto sales in September and should finish FY21 above 7%.  That's a pretty quick ramp up from the ~2-2.5% market share plug-ins made up in 2019.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1285 on: November 11, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
I guess I’m off two minds regarding how much of a bellwether the F150 Lightning will be

On one hand, if it does spectacularly well I agree it can be the moment where BEVs become mainstream that I think most of us hope for.

On the other hand if it flops I don’t think it need be the coffin nail that many are predicting. There’s a long list of why cars (ICE or BEV)  fail to sell, and most can be distilled into: too much money relative to competition; design issues/safety recalls; unreliable.

Failure would dampen future enthusiasm for the next launch, but the pickup market is too big and too damn lucrative to be ignored.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #1286 on: November 11, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/01/top-20-plugin-electric-vehicles-in-the-world-september-2021/

Global plugin vehicle registrations were up 98% in September 2021 compared to September 2020, scoring a record 685,000 units (or 10.2% share of the overall auto market, the first time the global market share reached two digits). That’s a significant 16% increase over the previous record, set in June, and expect the two final months of the year to also become record months.

Fully electric vehicles (BEVs) represented 75% of plugin registrations in September, above the year-to-date tally (68%). In total, there were some 512,000 registrations of BEVs, or 7.6% share of the overall auto market.

With the YTD tally now above 4.3 million units (and at a record 7% share), and knowing that the last months of the year are traditionally strong sellers, we should be seeing the plugin vehicle (PEV) market easily surpass 6 million units this year, with the 7 million unit mark being a true possibility!

For comparison sake, 2020 ended with 3.1 million units registered. Not bad, considering the current chip shortage, eh?

Can't find a break out of U.S. sales just yet, but worldwide EVs made up 10% of new auto sales in September and should finish FY21 above 7%.  That's a pretty quick ramp up from the ~2-2.5% market share plug-ins made up in 2019.

A couple years ago, I saw an article (?) showing that EV use rising at 50%/year ish had already been happening for years. It predicted that as % growth continued at that rate, shifts in national and global infrastructures as well as consumer sentiment would reach a tipping point where EVs would dominate - and that the time when ICE vehicles will get hard to sell was coming remarkably fast, probably mid to late 2020s.

These worldwide numbers seem to broadly suggest the article's predictions are coming true so far.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1287 on: November 11, 2021, 12:10:41 PM »
A couple years ago, I saw an article (?) showing that EV use rising at 50%/year ish had already been happening for years. It predicted that as % growth continued at that rate, shifts in national and global infrastructures as well as consumer sentiment would reach a tipping point where EVs would dominate - and that the time when ICE vehicles will get hard to sell was coming remarkably fast, probably mid to late 2020s.

These worldwide numbers seem to broadly suggest the article's predictions are coming true so far.

I think an article like that has been posed every few pages in this thread :-)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #1288 on: November 11, 2021, 12:26:48 PM »
For some U.S. context: https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-market-share-drops-ford-gm-audi-2021-10

From January to June of 2021, EVs made up 2.4% of new vehicle registrations, according to Experian. That's not much, but it's more than double the same six months in 2020.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1289 on: November 11, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »
In the meantime, all major European markets - and many minor ones - are in double-digits for EVs.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1290 on: November 11, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »
Has anyone seen a plan for upgrading electrical generation capacity to keep all the electric vehicles going?

My neighbour is a policy analyst for the federal government.   He was meeting with representatives from electrical companies and they commented that they were nowhere near ready for large scale adoption of electrical vehicles.    I remembered that back in 2006 or so I did a back of the envelope on how much electricity would be required to switch over to electrical vehicles - it looked like about a 50% increase in electrical generation.   I have no idea if this is at all accurate today, though.

There's a bit of controversy in Ontario, because the provincial government is declining to provide subsidies for the purchase of electrical vehicles.    Alongside my interest in electricity supply, I also wonder if we can eventually go with green electricity for electrical vehicles, or if we'll have to build more nuclear generating capacity.    If countries/regions have to use coal fired electricity generation, for example, to charge cars (China?), perhaps they'd be better off staying with gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.

Assuming EV adoption continues to grow exponentially for another 5-10 years we're going to have some interesting times with infrastructure...

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1291 on: November 11, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »
If countries/regions have to use coal fired electricity generation, for example, to charge cars (China?), perhaps they'd be better off staying with gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.

Even with 90% coming from coal (choose WV), EVs are beating ICE:

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/electric_emissions.html

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1292 on: November 11, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
Has anyone seen a plan for upgrading electrical generation capacity to keep all the electric vehicles going?

My neighbour is a policy analyst for the federal government.   He was meeting with representatives from electrical companies and they commented that they were nowhere near ready for large scale adoption of electrical vehicles.    I remembered that back in 2006 or so I did a back of the envelope on how much electricity would be required to switch over to electrical vehicles - it looked like about a 50% increase in electrical generation.   I have no idea if this is at all accurate today, though.

There's a bit of controversy in Ontario, because the provincial government is declining to provide subsidies for the purchase of electrical vehicles.    Alongside my interest in electricity supply, I also wonder if we can eventually go with green electricity for electrical vehicles, or if we'll have to build more nuclear generating capacity.    If countries/regions have to use coal fired electricity generation, for example, to charge cars (China?), perhaps they'd be better off staying with gasoline and diesel powered vehicles.

Assuming EV adoption continues to grow exponentially for another 5-10 years we're going to have some interesting times with infrastructure...

You got me curious.  I don't live in Canada but have heard that Ontario has emission free electricity.  So, I found this Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Power_Generation

Looks like You folks may be hit double.  Electric cars may increase demand and a bunch of coal stations were shut down not too long ago.  I'll bet they are looking at increasing capacity.

Then I found this paragraph and thought you can't make this stuff up.

In early December 2015, Ontario's Auditor General pointed out that OPG was importing wood products from Europe to burn at the Thunder Bay station "pushing the cost of the electricity it generates to 25 times higher than other biomass generators",[27] or $1,600 per MWh. Subsequently, Ontario's Development and Mines Minister Michael Gravelle stated that OPG was seeking a local company to produce the biomass fuel.[28]

Even I know Thunder Bay is at the lake head of Lake Superior.  (been there)  There's a lot of woods there.  Europe is a long ways away.

Sorry for the diversion.  Back to electric cars!

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1293 on: November 11, 2021, 06:51:03 PM »
A Tesla model 3 SR has a 50kWh battery pack with about 250 mile range (roughly 5 miles per kWh). For reference, the average US house uses 1000kWh per month and average distance driven is 1200 miles per month. That means 240kWh per month per car. So about a 50% increase in residential power usage (assuming 2 commuters per household). The residential sector used about 40% of electricity sold in the US, so that means we’d need to increase grid capacity about 20% with current technology.

On a system-wide level, cars drive about  3200 billion miles per year, so would need 640 GWh of electricity.

Commercial/heavy duty is a separate issue. Tesla reports its semi would go 0.5 miles per kWh, and about 300 billion miles were driven by semi trucks per year. So that’s 600 GWh of electricity, or 600/3800 GWh = about 15% increase to charge trucks.

This is just a shifting of energy from oil to electricity, not a true increase (and on a per unit energy level, likely a decrease due to the higher efficiency of motors vs engines).

In the southern US, each GW of solar panels installed produces on average 1600 GWh of energy per year.  1250 GWh/1600 = 780 MW of panels. For reference, the largest solar panel system in the US is about 500 MW. So this is not an unrealistic goal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:02:22 PM by Abe »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1294 on: November 11, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
A Tesla model 3 SR has a 50kWh battery pack with about 250 mile range (roughly 5 miles per kWh). For reference, the average US house uses 1000kWh per month and average distance driven is 1200 miles per month. That means 240kWh per month per car. So about a 50% increase in residential power usage (assuming 2 commuters per household). The residential sector used about 40% of electricity sold in the US, so that means we’d need to increase grid capacity about 20% with current technology.

Or just charge at night when there is already plenty of spare capacity. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1295 on: November 12, 2021, 07:35:23 AM »

You got me curious.  I don't live in Canada but have heard that Ontario has emission free electricity.  So, I found this Wiki article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Power_Generation

Looks like You folks may be hit double.  Electric cars may increase demand and a bunch of coal stations were shut down not too long ago.  I'll bet they are looking at increasing capacity.

Then I found this paragraph and thought you can't make this stuff up.

In early December 2015, Ontario's Auditor General pointed out that OPG was importing wood products from Europe to burn at the Thunder Bay station "pushing the cost of the electricity it generates to 25 times higher than other biomass generators",[27] or $1,600 per MWh. Subsequently, Ontario's Development and Mines Minister Michael Gravelle stated that OPG was seeking a local company to produce the biomass fuel.[28]

Even I know Thunder Bay is at the lake head of Lake Superior.  (been there)  There's a lot of woods there.  Europe is a long ways away.

Sorry for the diversion.  Back to electric cars!

OPG has a long history of doing incredibly stupid things that hurt consumers for no apparent gain.  There are plenty of logging towns in Northern Ontario, and there is cheap rail that goes in/out of Thunder Bay.  I'm struggling to understand why we would be importing wood products.

I'm not generally a fan of biomass burning.  Just burning it is still putting a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere . . . but importing this heavy wood from great distances radically undercuts any 'greenness' that you might be getting out of doing it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1296 on: November 12, 2021, 10:50:24 AM »
In one word: cost.

Even if you have large guests in your back yard it doesn’t mean it’s cheaper to log that than import sawn lumber from overseas. This is particularly true when labor costs, safety regulations and government subsidies are tossed into the pot.

It’s often cheaper to get Chinese wood here in the northeastern US than either local wood or timber from the larger forests out west (Washington state or BC). Doesn’t mean it’s the best thing to buy, just the reality of global supply chains.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1297 on: November 12, 2021, 12:25:41 PM »

Even if you have large guests in your back yard it doesn’t mean it’s cheaper to log that than import sawn lumber from overseas. This is particularly true when labor costs, safety regulations and government subsidies are tossed into the pot.

It’s often cheaper to get Chinese wood here in the northeastern US than either local wood or timber from the larger forests out west (Washington state or BC). Doesn’t mean it’s the best thing to buy, just the reality of global supply chains.

Yeah, but that's indicative of a huge problem.  It would be cheaper to burn coal or gas.  The idea behind green energy should be to go with the most cost effective option . . . but to go with the environmentally preferable one.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1298 on: November 12, 2021, 01:42:28 PM »

Yeah, but that's indicative of a huge problem.  It would be cheaper to burn coal or gas.  The idea behind green energy should be to go with the most cost effective option . . . but to go with the environmentally preferable one.

Well a core problem is that we’ve done a poor job of factoring in the total cost, including environmental degrees sati on and CO2 emissions. For too long industry has successfully lobbied against such measures as “overly burdensome” and “job killers”, passing the very real costs onto everyone else.

The second major problem is the unequal global playing field, including labor costs and corporate taxes and liability.

Improve those and the free markets will rapidly gravitate towards the very outcomes we want in most cases.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1299 on: November 12, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

Well a core problem is that we’ve done a poor job of factoring in the total cost, including environmental degrees sati on and CO2 emissions. For too long industry has successfully lobbied against such measures as “overly burdensome” and “job killers”, passing the very real costs onto everyone else.

The second major problem is the unequal global playing field, including labor costs and corporate taxes and liability.

Improve those and the free markets will rapidly gravitate towards the very outcomes we want in most cases.

Why Ontario Hydro bought the fuel from Norway is now a moot point.  The Thunder Bay Power Plant has been shut down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Bay_Generating_Station