Author Topic: Eclipse Chasers 2017  (Read 36294 times)

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Eclipse Chasers 2017
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
Oh, follow up point for why Oregon is freaking out about so many people. Pointed out by my friend who works in forestry. Wildfires. Some of our biggest wildfires are manmade, generally run away campfires. Tourism, especially to camping spots? Especially people who don't normally camp? Worrisome. Especially since we had a wet spring, and now a very hot summer, which means- a large biomass of small ground covers grew, and then dried out. For the valley, and the high cascades that still have some moisture, it isn't too grim, but eastern oregon is ripe for a rough wild fire season.

...snip....
I think the population centers theory is right, coupled with two things: 1, I5 is the only way in and out of the majority of Oregon from N/S. Even if you want to go east, you generally have to take I5 then cut over once you're in the state proper. 2, there aren't many of us and we aren't set up for that much tourism. Especially the areas in the path, tend to be small towns (except Salem, and it's definitely not a tourism hub, LOL). ...snip....

For the era of Google Maps,  US-395 is a great way to get to central Oregon from the south and avoid the I-5 madness.  A pretty drive from California. 
There is not the vast populations north on US-395 (Tri-Cities- my spot, Spokane), but someone from Seattle/Vancouver BC could drive I-90, I-84, US-395 and also avoid some of the same issues.

Why Central Oregon?  a) more likely better weather, b) more space.

Which dovetails nicely with this point- anyone who comes to Eastern Oregon will be camping (there's like 9 hotel rooms in the entire half of the state ;) lol), so PLEASE be smart about fires! Dead out, 5 gals water, what whole thing =)

Was camping in central Oregon some years ago, at a state campground. We found we we arrived that our fire pit still had live coals in it. We started them right up to cook supper, then, feeling morally superior, doused and stirred and doused and stirred until we were sure they were out. At three or so that morning we woke up, looked over, and saw a cheerful fire burning in the pit. It had rekindled itself. We watched the Perseids for a while, then doused again and stirred and doused some more. The next morning we were still able to rekindle the fire from live coals. It had gone into the ground. We spend quite some time with it before we left.  So yes, five gallons, sometimes more.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
I'm looking forward to the eclipse.  I'll be joining friends who are part of an astronomy club so expect to be able to get oggle via someone else's equipment.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
We planned an eclipse party with friends several years ago when surfing an eclipse predictor website. We're traveling 5 hours to get a shot at totality if weather permits.  My wife just finished an astrophysics masters course and is seriously stoked.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
Oh, follow up point for why Oregon is freaking out about so many people. Pointed out by my friend who works in forestry. Wildfires. Some of our biggest wildfires are manmade, generally run away campfires. Tourism, especially to camping spots? Especially people who don't normally camp? Worrisome. Especially since we had a wet spring, and now a very hot summer, which means- a large biomass of small ground covers grew, and then dried out. For the valley, and the high cascades that still have some moisture, it isn't too grim, but eastern oregon is ripe for a rough wild fire season.

...snip....
I think the population centers theory is right, coupled with two things: 1, I5 is the only way in and out of the majority of Oregon from N/S. Even if you want to go east, you generally have to take I5 then cut over once you're in the state proper. 2, there aren't many of us and we aren't set up for that much tourism. Especially the areas in the path, tend to be small towns (except Salem, and it's definitely not a tourism hub, LOL). ...snip....

For the era of Google Maps,  US-395 is a great way to get to central Oregon from the south and avoid the I-5 madness.  A pretty drive from California. 
There is not the vast populations north on US-395 (Tri-Cities- my spot, Spokane), but someone from Seattle/Vancouver BC could drive I-90, I-84, US-395 and also avoid some of the same issues.

Why Central Oregon?  a) more likely better weather, b) more space.

Which dovetails nicely with this point- anyone who comes to Eastern Oregon will be camping (there's like 9 hotel rooms in the entire half of the state ;) lol), so PLEASE be smart about fires! Dead out, 5 gals water, what whole thing =)

Was camping in central Oregon some years ago, at a state campground. We found we we arrived that our fire pit still had live coals in it. We started them right up to cook supper, then, feeling morally superior, doused and stirred and doused and stirred until we were sure they were out. At three or so that morning we woke up, looked over, and saw a cheerful fire burning in the pit. It had rekindled itself. We watched the Perseids for a while, then doused again and stirred and doused some more. The next morning we were still able to rekindle the fire from live coals. It had gone into the ground. We spend quite some time with it before we left.  So yes, five gallons, sometimes more.

Some of our hard woods are just SO bad about that. Particularly something like Ironwood. We had an ironwood log in a burn pile smoke slowly for literally over a month at my parent's place when I was a teen. Insanely dense wood just does NOT go out when the fire gets deep inside it.

(Looking it up... apparently Ironwood doesn't refer to a specific tree, it's a colloquialism to a lot of places. So no idea on species there!)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
Heading to Charleston to see it - about a 6 hour drive. Spend the weekend and see a bit of the city, see the eclipse, and drive home. Hopefully my uncle from the Netherlands will join us. He is quite a fan, apparently, of eclipses, and will fly in a day or so in advance and join us in Charleston and head out Monday afternoon as well.

Booked my room a while back - I don't think there is much left in the city.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »
We will be observing from a park Near Highlands NC.   Looking forward to it!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »
The Moore Foundation is giving away millions of sunglasses to 4,800 libraries around the country. I inquired today at my local branch and they said they would start handing them out in August. YMMV.

LateToTheParty

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 10:18:39 PM »
Observing from somewhere Salem outskirts- likely an Oregon vineyard - am I wishful thinking???  Probably all sold out or $$$?
Maybe I will just go to a neighborhood area bluff and bring my own wine and pretzels.

Anyone want to join me for a MMM mid-Willamette Valley eclipse meet-up? 

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
I'm in western Colorado and we have already been studying maps of some remote locations in central Wyoming to see the eclipse from. We have a 4x4 truck to drive some offroad areas. We are going to camp for a few days on this trip.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2017, 10:25:17 PM »
I live in New England but have plans to be in Monmouth, Oregon, for the eclipse. Arriving Sunday night and spending the night with friends. I agree the traffic Monday morning is likely to be a nightmare. Especially since Portland is not in the path of totality, but is "only" an hour away from Salem, which is in the path. I bet lots of people are going to try to make that drive the morning of, which will probably result in gridlock. Hotel rooms in the path have been sold out for months, if not years.
OoOooOoOh that Monmouth, OR looks pretty good. Are you familiar with the town? What do you reckon my chances of scoring a parking spot are?

I have some friends who have been planning their trip to Monmouth for this eclipse for over a year.  They literally made their Airbnb booking over a year ago!

BoneTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »
We'll be driving up to St. Joseph, MO. The airport there is hosting an event. Fingers crossed for clear skies, but I bet it's going to be a scorcher.

phil22

• Stubble
  • "This quote is very memorable." -Randall Munroe
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:54 PM »
we'll be driving to Oregon from Seattle.  we booked a hotel (back in February) for the night before and Eugene was the closest we could get to our target of Madras.  i'm thinking we'll need to skip the hotel and get into position somewhere in the state overnight, depending on which roads are passable.  i'm concerned I-5 will be a parking lot and there will be lines for gas.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
we'll be driving to Oregon from Seattle.  we booked a hotel (back in February) for the night before and Eugene was the closest we could get to our target of Madras.  i'm thinking we'll need to skip the hotel and get into position somewhere in the state overnight, depending on which roads are passable.  i'm concerned I-5 will be a parking lot and there will be lines for gas.

Oh god I didn't even THINK about the gas. Since we can't pump our own, lines for gas are longer as a rule, and hours are more limited. =\ So many of our back highways are just 1 lane each direction with no shoulder/center that it would take just one person running out of gas to muck it up for hours.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
I'm planning on driving from near Philadelphia to somewhere in Kentucky in the vicinity of Paducah right now. Looking at a 13 hour drive each way. Hoping some of my friends can go but I suspect it may be just me.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:26 PM »
We are also headed near Paducah, KY with final viewing location TBD.  We have some family near Cincinnati, so it's a short trip from there.  Hopefully they will join us. 

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
Just booked my flight! I already had a business trip to Atlanta planned for the prior week, and my parents' home in Greensville, SC is right in the path of totally. So, I get some work done, a family vacation, and a wonder of the universe--not too shabby!

Question for those on the board: anybody going to be viewing with my small kids?  My son is 4 and I'm really looking forward to sharing this with him. Obviously, emphasizing the glasses is a must.  Aside from the Smarter Every Day video in the OP, any other good eclipse videos aimed at kids?

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
I live just north of Nashville, which is right in the path.  They are closing school that day, and I decided to take a vacation day so I can watch it with the kids.  FIL has bought a bunch of glasses.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
I am taking the day off work and driving up to Glendo State Park (WY) from Denver.  (PM me if anyone is interested in sharing a ride - plan to leave early AM and drive back after lunch).  -Ap

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
I am going to central Oregon!  Have some camp space available if anyone wants to join ($500 divided by up to 16 people).

Wrote up some tips on my blog...

https://thehotflashpacker.com/total-eclipse-2017/

Edited 7/24:  I think we're full, but PM me if you want to check for sure.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:12:00 PM by JoJo »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2017, 08:07:23 PM »
I will be in Jackson, WY for the eclipse.

Plans are to go east or west in case Jackson has overcast skies.

I am using this opportunity to also see Grand Tetons and Yellowstone ;-)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
I am going to central Oregon!  Have some camp space available if anyone wants to join ($500 divided by up to 16 people).

Wrote up some tips on my blog...

I want to join you PM sent.

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2017, 05:53:45 AM »
We're driving to Nashville to see it. We're going to drive up Friday and spend the weekend visiting Mammoth Cave.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 07:17:40 AM »
I'll be driving to western KY to view! Fairly short drive for me, maybe 3 hours with normal traffic. I grew up in SE Michigan and saw a partial eclipse there in the 90's, if I remember it was very close to a total eclipse, but not quite.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »
Well, poo.  SO got laid off last month (boo), and just got a job offer yesterday (yay) with a non-negotiable start date of August 21 (aw shit).  :(  Not sure I can/want to make that 9 hour drive (each way) myself, then go even further if clouds are rolling in.  Take some pictures for me, guys..!

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
I was originally planning on going to Kentucky but I was looking at the path and realized going to SC would cut off over 200 miles each way.

Anyone know of a site that can help you find the closest point to your location?

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
My family has been planning a 1300 mile (one-way) road trip to see the eclipse.  We have family in Idaho in the path of the total eclipse that we haven't visited since 2011.

We're showing up a few days ahead of time and may just end up holing up in their house and playing board games because it sounds like a shit ton of folks will be in town for the same reason.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
I was originally planning on going to Kentucky but I was looking at the path and realized going to SC would cut off over 200 miles each way.

Anyone know of a site that can help you find the closest point to your location?

google 2017 eclipse interactive map... several people have modified google maps to do this.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 01:48:50 PM »
Exactly one month from today!!!

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2017, 01:11:49 AM »

google 2017 eclipse interactive map... several people have modified google maps to do this.
Also some very good maps here with turnout projections of people driving to see the eclipse.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »

Also some very good maps here with turnout projections of people driving to see the eclipse.

Those are extremely awesome. I'm a map geek, and those made my day. Thanks for posting!

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »
Another super cool interactive tool.  You can see what the eclipse will look like per zip code, including the % coverage.  I was surprised to see how much it would be in my hometown (I'll be heading down to the path of totality)

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

If you don't have your eclipse viewing glasses, you should order them ASAP.  I put a couple amazon links on my site to purchase a 5 or 10 pack.  These are ISO compliant.  I wouldn't trust the dirt cheap ones.  They're pretty inexpensive - it's not worth looking at the sun without them.

Guide2003

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »
Not really passionate about this stuff, but we are thinking of heading to my parents' in Greenville, SC for the eclipse since it's convenient. Any recommendations on viewing with young kids (3-5) to protect their eyes? Also, any informational links I should read or listen to before hand that would help me appreciate the experience?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Guide2003, I found this great resource
http://www.bigkidscience.com/eclipse/safe-viewing/

Gives you a few options.  One is just the normal viewing glasses, but up to you.  I have links to just normal adult sized glasses on my link 2 posts above.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2017, 05:59:58 PM »
My glasses and lens filter from Rainbow Symphony arrived today!

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
Talked to my sister last night and made arrangements to stay with her. Any mustachians in the Columbia SC area that might have room or know a place where some people could crash Sunday night? I have some friends that are interested in going but my sister doesn't have room or feel comfortable having anyone besides me. Most or all of them would probably be ok with tenting overnight.

SomedayStache

• Pencil Stache
  • Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:27 PM »
Has anyone found a video which explains the eclipse in a way that children (ages 8,6, 3.5) would find engaging enough to watch?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2017, 12:12:38 AM »
Spartana: 

I've seen that all state park sites in Oregon are taken. All 1000 additional sites were snapped up in 2 hours several months ago.

I'm planning a one day trip south on US395  to the Mt. Vernon area in the hopes of finding parking lot to stop in.  backup plans include going on highway 26, probably west.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »
Yay zyzygy!

Yup, going down with family and friends to our property where we should be able to see it for nearly the full time.

For those of you familiar with the STL/Southern Illinois area, I heard there are zero hotels available from Effingham to Paducah (North to South) and Evansville to Cape Girardeau (East to West).  The wineries are going to be slammed!

ponyboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:40 AM »
I will be near olympic national park in WA...I have zero interest in driving down to oregon to see this not so exciting event.  All the fuss for 2 minutes, lol.  Ill be hiking in olympic...I did buy eclipse glasses so ill throw them on and look up to see the little sliver of sun.  Other than that I hope all these crazies stay in oregon.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2017, 09:38:04 AM »
.....All the fuss for 2 minutes, lol......

There is even more fuss for the Kentucky Derby, also about 2 minutes, and this sort of thing only happens once or twice in a lifetime.
Thinking about it, I guess the same is true for the horses in the Kentucky Derby.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
.....All the fuss for 2 minutes, lol......

There is even more fuss for the Kentucky Derby, also about 2 minutes, and this sort of thing only happens once or twice in a lifetime.

Yeah, if you don't get why the eclipse is a big deal, I don't think I can explain it to you. I've been waiting for this opportunity since I was a kid.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
Update on people contemplating coming to Oregon: http://www.kgw.com/news/local/whitewater-fire-grows-to-5200-acres-new-plan-will-close-parts-of-detroit-lake/462207778 Big big fire, Jefferson wilderness is unlikely to be accessible by then. Air quality is also shit now. Anyway, keep this in mind, particularly if your travel plans include highway 20. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2017, 12:56:23 PM »
Nice try. We're COMING DOWN TO GET YOU.

But seriously, how rude of the Canadians to send us their barbecue smell for the last week. How very out of character.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
Our brokerage firm invited us to a winery in Augusta, MO, for lunch and wine, to view the eclipse.

Because this is the MMM forum, I do not expect to hear "oh that is nice!" messages from this crowd. Instead, they will facepunch me with "why the h#ll do ypu have a brokerage account!???! They must be making bank on YOUR money."

I know, I know...Vanguard. Index funds. Etc.

I know the drill. :)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
Made plans for this about a year ago!  Flying out next week and will be hiking @20 miles into the Wind River Range in Wyoming. Going to scale a beautiful, remote (rarely climbed) peak via a technical rock climbing route, and plan to be on top of it before the eclipse rolls in. Cannot wait.  Friend is bringing a serious camera rig, and I've got my new GoPro Hero 5 with the Karma Grip. Hoping to get some great footage. We are so stoked for this trip!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »
The 10-day forecast does not look promising at my preferred locale. I will keep an eye on the weather, but it looks like a weekend road trip might be necessary :/

Hash Brown

• Stubble
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
My brother's wife's family owns land in the Path of Totality in Tennessee.  We've got about 30 people of all ages camping out Sunday night.  It should be a blast. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »
We were planning on heading to Stanley ID, tomorrow or Tuesday too boondock in the national forest up there.
But we heard that a lot of people have already put campers and tents in spots, just to secure the spots for next weekend, without even using them (you can stay up to 14 days there).
A friend told us that the store in Stanley is warning people they may run out of water and gas over the weekend. Yikes!

So we are leaning on staying put where we are right now, althrough this area will only get like 1 min and 50 seconds or so.

We have a nice little spot outside Ketchum, ID right now and in case someone is here in the area and would like to join us, we would not mind sharing our site, especially with other forumites!
There's space for another small to medium sized camper and a tent. PM me if you'd like details, picture, coordinates!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Just a little heads up for anyone interested.  There are still campsites available (20X20 & 20X40) in Madras Oregon at the airport.  They opened up 1,500 spots in April and I just booked one today.  Madras is in the dead center of totality.  I paid about $160 for my 20X40 Spot (we are bringing a tent trailer).  Hope to see some of you there!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
The forecast for the South continues to look dour. We're six days out, and the nearest reasonably-favorable weather forecast is in Paducah, KY, which is projected to be partly cloudy. A huge swath of the South from Nashville, TN to Charleston, SC is forecasted to get rain on Eclipse Day. Hopefully things will look sunnier as the week progresses :(