Author Topic: Eclipse Chasers 2017  (Read 36305 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Eclipse Chasers 2017
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »
Weather-permitting, the US will experience a total solar eclipse on August 21, 2017. It will span the entire lower 48s from South Carolina to Oregon, a rare opportunity to witness of the most spectacular natural wonders of the world.

I was 10 years old when I was last in a position to witness a total solar eclipse, but young astronomers without a driver's license don't get to dictate the whereabouts of their households, so I had to settle for a partial observation. This time around, I intend on getting as close to the action as possible, even if that means leaving in the middle of the night and roughing it up.

Total eclipses are a big deal. This video explains the rare phenomenons to look out for, including the elusive shadow bands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7MfcKF1-s

Thankfully it's on a Monday, when most Americans will be slaving away at work. I still expect the I-5 corridor within 100 miles of the path to be absolute madness as hundreds of thousands of eclipse enthusiasts jockey for position. Coming from Seattle, I think my best bet will be to set up shop hours ahead of time somewhere in Eastern or Western Oregon, steering well clear of Portland.

Who else is making plans?

Nothlit

• Bristles
Re: Eclipse Chasers 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Yes! I've been looking forward to this for at least a couple of years. The Smarter Every Day video you linked is a great place to get started for anyone who wants to learn more.

I live in New England but have plans to be in Monmouth, Oregon, for the eclipse. Arriving Sunday night and spending the night with friends. I agree the traffic Monday morning is likely to be a nightmare. Especially since Portland is not in the path of totality, but is "only" an hour away from Salem, which is in the path. I bet lots of people are going to try to make that drive the morning of, which will probably result in gridlock. Hotel rooms in the path have been sold out for months, if not years.

Everyone will need solar glasses for the partial phases of the eclipse - the only phase safe to look at with the naked eye is the brief (~2 minute or less) period of totality. Amazon has cardboard solar glasses starting around $10 for a 5-pack. Rainbow Symphony is a good brand to look for.

If you have any interest in taking photos or videos the eclipse, now is the time to start reading up on techniques and deciding what camera gear you might need. I have reserved an 800mm equivalent lens for my camera through one of the popular lens rental web sites. You'll also need a solar filter for your camera. Thousand Oaks Optical is quoting a 3-week lead time on most of their filters right now.

I will also have the Solar Eclipse Timer app running on my phone to keep track of the phases.

Now I just hope the weather holds up at my viewing location!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 11:04:47 PM »
It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive one way for me to get into the totality path. I'd LOVE to go, but at the same time that's an incredibly long trip for that brief period of totality.

I feel like I'm still close enough that it should be a great view at home even without 100% eclipse. I already bought myself some solar glasses (like Nothlit said, try Rainbow Symphony - that's what I got and they are recommended by NASA) and have tested them out this week to look at the sun. They work great. When you look through them they block out everything but the sun, and it looks like a beautiful yellowy orangey ball. :)

I've had this marked on the calendar for quite a while now. Looking forward to it!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:29:25 AM »
My mom's telescope, the solar filter I built for it (density 3film) and some other stuff.   already booked a non-negotiable vacation form work .  We are in the Richland Wa area, about 3hours away.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »
I live in New England but have plans to be in Monmouth, Oregon, for the eclipse. Arriving Sunday night and spending the night with friends. I agree the traffic Monday morning is likely to be a nightmare. Especially since Portland is not in the path of totality, but is "only" an hour away from Salem, which is in the path. I bet lots of people are going to try to make that drive the morning of, which will probably result in gridlock. Hotel rooms in the path have been sold out for months, if not years.
OoOooOoOh that Monmouth, OR looks pretty good. Are you familiar with the town? What do you reckon my chances of scoring a parking spot are? I see that Dallas, OR just North has a wal-mart...

I have no interest in photography. There will be hundreds of people with much better cameras and skills than me doing it. I want to soak in the experience, not worry about someone knocking over my tripod.

It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive one way for me to get into the totality path. I'd LOVE to go, but at the same time that's an incredibly long trip for that brief period of totality.

I feel like I'm still close enough that it should be a great view at home even without 100% eclipse. I already bought myself some solar glasses (like Nothlit said, try Rainbow Symphony - that's what I got and they are recommended by NASA) and have tested them out this week to look at the sun. They work great. When you look through them they block out everything but the sun, and it looks like a beautiful yellowy orangey ball. :)

I've had this marked on the calendar for quite a while now. Looking forward to it!
In my experience, partial eclipses are disappointing. You keep hoping the scientists are wrong, and it's still broad daylight.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »
We are going! We aren't on the 100% path, but close enough to drive over. We'll go to Grand Island Nebraska to get our 1+ min of total eclipse at about 1 pm local time.

I've only seen partials in the past. It's very cool when the light filtering between tree leaves lets you track the progress!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Me! We're in ATL so have options. I think we're going to drive to Anderson, SC to be on the center-line of the eclipse. DH is excited, which is fun, since he's not a particularly excitable guy. :)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
Oregonian here - Agreed that the interstate will be crowded from Portland on down. Good on Paul der Krake for getting to his destination the night before and just not being on a highway. Good advice for anyone in the vicinity.

Monmouth is a small town, as is its neighbor Independence. Both have nice public spaces from which to watch. Dallas is slightly bigger (15,000+) and yes there's a Walmart (and other supermarket parking lots with lots of space). Also has public spaces from which to watch.

Salem has a good amount of parks and open spaces too, and I suspect they'll be crowded with watchers who have come down from Portland. That being said, there's plenty of room. Get there early, park and have coffee (that you brought in your thermos, naturally) and enjoy the sky. Residential streets have lots of parking so just drive around a bit.

I wouldn't recommend the coast for this event - the weather is often cloudy and such, and totally unpredictable. It might be clear and beautiful, it might be raining. You just don't know.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:07:09 AM »
I've got a couple friends chasing it.  Personally, I think I'll let it come to me.  :-)  I'm not in the zone of totality, but it'll be close enough for me.  A good reason to take a day off work and hope for good weather anyways.  I've got a 130mm reflector with a glass solar filter that I'll setup in my backyard.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
We had originally planned to be in Asheville, SC around the time of the eclipse and then aim for a day trip to one of the nearby national/state parks for full viewing.  Unfortunately we had to cancel that trip, so I'll have to live vicariously through you all.  I hope everyone has clear weather for lovely viewing!

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:28:47 AM »
I feel like I'm still close enough that it should be a great view at home even without 100% eclipse.

The difference between full and partial is massive - don't kid yourself that a partial eclipse is anything like the same experience. A partial eclipse is just a black wedge obscuring most of the sun. A full eclipse makes everything go dark in the daytime (twilight rather than pitch black.) Stars are out, animals and birds may start to panic and then go silent. You see things like the sun's corona. It's hard to convey what an unusual experience it is.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
We are headed to eastern Oregon to view the eclipse in totality

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 01:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up! I might just have to check this out...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
We're heading there, as well. Spending a week in Portland with another couple, and heading to a spot in the "total" path the day of. My husband is crazy excited about it.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 07:06:52 AM »
We're planning to drive to Rabun County, GA to get a full 2 min 40 sec of totality. Crossing my fingers for good weather. I've been waiting for a solar eclipse since I was old enough to know what one is! :)

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
We will probably drive due south and hope to see it in southern IL, or maybe SW to Missouri.  However, depending on the weather reports, we are fully prepared to be driving either east or west to avoid cloud coverage.  Yeah, it'll be for only a few minutes of totality, and yes, there's another one coming afterwards in 2024, but just in case..!  I took those first 3 days of the week off.  So much vacation to blow this year..

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
I'm going! I live in Seattle, so I'll be making the haul down to Oregon. Also planning to drive down Sunday, and possibly camp overnight.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
I'm going! I live in Seattle, so I'll be making the haul down to Oregon. Also planning to drive down Sunday, and possibly camp overnight.

Sleeping in the car might be necessary.

from http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.page&id=60

".....April 19, 2017 Note: All Oregon State Park sites are booked

The August 21  total solar eclipse is a once-in-a-lifetime event, and it’s drawing visitors from all over the world. People from all over the United States and overseas were waiting for these sites, and with an efficient online system, inventory booked quickly.

Extra 1,000 state park eclipse sites sold out"

I can't imagine anyplace near the intersection of I-5 (Willamette valley) and the totality track won't be sold out.

Please note that we are not the only geeks in the world :-)

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
I live in the path of totality! We have family and friends coming to town so that will be exciting. Living here is going to be a clusterf*** that weekend, with eclipse events planned all weekend long across the city leading up to that Monday. Pretty cool!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
Can't you borrow a ship for a day and set up shop at sea?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »

Holy fuck, Paul! I didn't even think of that. Totality will also happen on the water. Why is the human brain so dumb, in such specifically weird ways?

But yeah, assuming I drive down, I know 'camping' probably means a wide spot on a highway, my backseat, and some clif bars. That's okay. Or maybe they'll be some fun part in a Wal-Mart parking lot with all the other non-forward thinking SOBs. Who knows! Adventures aren't fun if they're all paced out beforehand.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
Sounds like reserving lodging is pretty much out of the question at this point, so I'd need to wake up around 4 AM and drive down to Oregon. Tempting. We'll see.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »

Holy fuck, Paul! I didn't even think of that. Totality will also happen on the water. Why is the human brain so dumb, in such specifically weird ways?

But yeah, assuming I drive down, I know 'camping' probably means a wide spot on a highway, my backseat, and some clif bars. That's okay. Or maybe they'll be some fun part in a Wal-Mart parking lot with all the other non-forward thinking SOBs. Who knows! Adventures aren't fun if they're all paced out beforehand.

You rent a boat and take on passengers for some amazing fee - gift all profits to a science-based charity - WIN-WIN-WIN!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 02:38:24 PM »
I might chase it down, totality is only a ~4.5 hour drive away.

My GF will be on a plane somewhere between Vancouver and Chicago when it happens.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
I've been planning for this trip since last year!  Still working out the details, but we have friends in Charleston SC.  It's only a 10hr drive... but at least we'll have somewhere to sleep:)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
Was talking to some friends about making the trek from Seattle down to OR to check it out too. We all have flexible enough schedules to make it work.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 01:25:04 PM »
We were going to view the partial from home, but may travel to KY or TN for the total eclipse.  Sounds like such a big difference in experience.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
I'll be driving to Salem, OR and watching with friends who live there!  Not sure yet if we will view from the back yard, the farm, or take a favorite hiking trail to a 360 viewpoint in the mountains to the East of town.  I think it would be amazing to view in the wilderness like that, and out-of-towners won't know about this spot!  Friends need to work afterwards though :( so we will probably stay close to town.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
Thanks to this thread I just made plans with a group of friends to head to STL the night before, and head NW or SE that morning based on what the weather looks like.

Is this something where we should head out at like 4am, or would we be able to find a spot at noon pretty safely?

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
Going to Jackson WY.  Made plans about 1.5 years ago.   

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 01:58:38 PM »
Is this something where we should head out at like 4am, or would we be able to find a spot at noon pretty safely?

I've never done one of these things before, but I assume anywhere you can see the sun would work fine. It's not like stargazing where you have to be super far out of the city to get the full effect.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 03:51:47 PM »
I feel like I'm still close enough that it should be a great view at home even without 100% eclipse.

The difference between full and partial is massive - don't kid yourself that a partial eclipse is anything like the same experience. A partial eclipse is just a black wedge obscuring most of the sun. A full eclipse makes everything go dark in the daytime (twilight rather than pitch black.) Stars are out, animals and birds may start to panic and then go silent. You see things like the sun's corona. It's hard to convey what an unusual experience it is.

Yeah, I'm starting to reconsider. My issue is I didn't want to make it a *day* trip for that long of a drive. I'm considering turning it into a camping trip. I found a good campsite that looks like a possibility that you can make advance reservations (don't want to risk a first come first served place for this event) and they still have some sites open. I don't have a tent, but I'll just car camp in my Prius. I've been wanting to go camping for quite some time anyway, so it'd be a great excuse.

And that way I can break the drive up over 2 days instead of having to do the long drive in 1 day. I just moved from the MD/DC area to the south last month, and I did the drive myself in one day. That long drive is why the idea of a 7+ hour drive in one day annoyed me!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
Just made plans. A coworker's hometown is in the path of the totality so he generously offered me a place to park the rv when he found out I was interested but didn't know where to go because of everything being sold out. Probably go up Saturday and then leave immediately after the eclipse. We are a reasonable drive away, but that interstate will be a nightmare the day of.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
I live in Oregon, within the path of totality. People around here are losing their shit about how many people will be coming to town for it, how crowded roads will be, etc. It's hard for me to imagine that it will be as bad as they say, but I took the day off so I can relax and observe it without having to worry about traffic (or working).

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
I've been thinking about driving out from Southern California an sleeping in the car a night or two. I'd rather go with a buddy (and my dog, of course) and where will I find someone who wants to go on those terms?

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
OK, I'm officially going now. I've been convinced. :) I booked my campsite, gathered info, and already am starting to put together my checklist. I'm really happy that I don't have to buy too much, so it'll actually be a very frugal trip. My in-laws will let me borrow some things I don't have and I already had most of the basics.

The one thing I'm NOT doing is I'm not going to bother buying a filter for my camera. I'm having too many expenses lately as it is. I'm sure there will be plenty of beautiful photos and video posted online. I am just going to enjoy the experience with some solar glasses and not take my camera with me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
I live in Oregon, within the path of totality. People around here are losing their shit about how many people will be coming to town for it, how crowded roads will be, etc. It's hard for me to imagine that it will be as bad as they say, but I took the day off so I can relax and observe it without having to worry about traffic (or working).

Last estimate I saw was 1 million visitors to Oregon for the eclipse (I even saw one that said 1.5 million). The whole state's population is barely over 4 million.

...I'm kinda freaking out too =P

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »

Last estimate I saw was 1 million visitors to Oregon for the eclipse (I even saw one that said 1.5 million). The whole state's population is barely over 4 million.

...I'm kinda freaking out too =P
It will be fine. Think of all the extra tax dollars generated by all these visitors! Oh wait...

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
We are directly under the line. Does that mean we have to travel 0 miles?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 07:05:33 AM »
I'm curious why the big influx of people into Oregon? Is it just because so many people will be coming from heavily populated areas in California and Washington to their nearest possible viewing spot? The eclipse will leave the east coast near Charleston, yet I don't hear anybody freaking out about the massive crowds expected in South Carolina.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
I'm curious why the big influx of people into Oregon? Is it just because so many people will be coming from heavily populated areas in California and Washington to their nearest possible viewing spot? The eclipse will leave the east coast near Charleston, yet I don't hear anybody freaking out about the massive crowds expected in South Carolina.

I think the population centers theory is right, coupled with two things: 1, I5 is the only way in and out of the majority of Oregon from N/S. Even if you want to go east, you generally have to take I5 then cut over once you're in the state proper. 2, there aren't many of us and we aren't set up for that much tourism. Especially the areas in the path, tend to be small towns (except Salem, and it's definitely not a tourism hub, LOL).

Basically, we've already been growing fast enough the past few years that we struggle with traffic and services when it's just people moving here. A mass weekend visit? We have nothing in place.

Actually, I'll add a third suspicion: Portland is making Oregon so popular right now, a lot of people think it's a good time to visit and see what the fuss is about. A chance to see a total eclipse in a place with some of the most breathtaking camping you can find? Seems like a win.

So those are my theories. I'm guessing SC gets more tourism as a baseline, particularly given the popularity of the beaches and stuff.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
Thank you for sharing this!  My 16 yo SS is in Columbia SC and almost in the totality path....will pass this wonderful information along for him to promptly ignore :)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
...snip....
I think the population centers theory is right, coupled with two things: 1, I5 is the only way in and out of the majority of Oregon from N/S. Even if you want to go east, you generally have to take I5 then cut over once you're in the state proper. 2, there aren't many of us and we aren't set up for that much tourism. Especially the areas in the path, tend to be small towns (except Salem, and it's definitely not a tourism hub, LOL). ...snip....

For the era of Google Maps,  US-395 is a great way to get to central Oregon from the south and avoid the I-5 madness.  A pretty drive from California. 
There is not the vast populations north on US-395 (Tri-Cities- my spot, Spokane), but someone from Seattle/Vancouver BC could drive I-90, I-84, US-395 and also avoid some of the same issues.

Why Central Oregon?  a) more likely better weather, b) more space.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »
Oh, follow up point for why Oregon is freaking out about so many people. Pointed out by my friend who works in forestry. Wildfires. Some of our biggest wildfires are manmade, generally run away campfires. Tourism, especially to camping spots? Especially people who don't normally camp? Worrisome. Especially since we had a wet spring, and now a very hot summer, which means- a large biomass of small ground covers grew, and then dried out. For the valley, and the high cascades that still have some moisture, it isn't too grim, but eastern oregon is ripe for a rough wild fire season.

...snip....
I think the population centers theory is right, coupled with two things: 1, I5 is the only way in and out of the majority of Oregon from N/S. Even if you want to go east, you generally have to take I5 then cut over once you're in the state proper. 2, there aren't many of us and we aren't set up for that much tourism. Especially the areas in the path, tend to be small towns (except Salem, and it's definitely not a tourism hub, LOL). ...snip....

For the era of Google Maps,  US-395 is a great way to get to central Oregon from the south and avoid the I-5 madness.  A pretty drive from California. 
There is not the vast populations north on US-395 (Tri-Cities- my spot, Spokane), but someone from Seattle/Vancouver BC could drive I-90, I-84, US-395 and also avoid some of the same issues.

Why Central Oregon?  a) more likely better weather, b) more space.

Which dovetails nicely with this point- anyone who comes to Eastern Oregon will be camping (there's like 9 hotel rooms in the entire half of the state ;) lol), so PLEASE be smart about fires! Dead out, 5 gals water, what whole thing =)

Lepetitange3

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
Omg the boat idea.  Hubby and I sail and the local marina has a club/program where you can take boats out whenever if you're a member, but don't actually have to own one.  I'd have to drive north for hours to be in the totality path, but barely sail south at all to get the same.  Yay Water!!

ampersand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
I'll be hosting some kayaking on the Missouri River during the eclipse very near the line, either at Waverly or Columbia. Www.kcriverrun.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »
I will be going, A friend of DW's coworker is a Rancher and is letting people stay on his land up in Wyoming. We are kindof nervous about how many people will be there as the rancher is talking about getting a band and beer tent and essentially having a mini festival.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
I will be going, A friend of DW's coworker is a Rancher and is letting people stay on his land up in Wyoming. We are kindof nervous about how many people will be there as the rancher is talking about getting a band and beer tent and essentially having a mini festival.

Sounds like a blast! 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 11:54:58 AM »
Sounds like a blast!

It's kind of like the Kentucky Derby, lots of partying, only need to focus for about 2 minutes then back to the fun.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 07:43:02 AM »
It should make for an interesting time. We plan to head up Saturday, spend the weekend and head back Monday afternoon so we get to make a vacation of it vs a mad rush.