Author Topic: Eclipse Chasers 2017  (Read 8017 times)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Eclipse Chasers 2017
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:12 PM »
The forecast for the South continues to look dour. We're six days out, and the nearest reasonably-favorable weather forecast is in Paducah, KY, which is projected to be partly cloudy. A huge swath of the South from Nashville, TN to Charleston, SC is forecasted to get rain on Eclipse Day. Hopefully things will look sunnier as the week progresses :(
Never. Give up.

My Woodworking Blog

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
Oregon update. Smoke issues have been clearing up a bit, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Forecast looks good as far as I've seen.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
We are keeping a few options in KY and TN open and will decide on Sunday where we'll land for the attempted viewing.  We'll go where the sky is more likely to be clear.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »
I wish I was making plans to see it in totality, but we are getting over 90% here, so that's cooler than the one I remember as a kid.

My office is having a viewing party, so I get time off work and a goodie bag of eclipse themed food.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »

After hearing about the hundreds of  thousands of  of people flocking to my part of the world, I have decided to stay home and view the 99% sight rather than fight the crowds on back roads in rural MO to see the entire shebang.

robartsd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
We have a nice little spot outside Ketchum, ID right now and in case someone is here in the area and would like to join us, we would not mind sharing our site, especially with other forumites!
There's space for another small to medium sized camper and a tent. PM me if you'd like details, picture, coordinates!
1:50 of totality for this eclipse is pretty good - that's what, 75% of the time that you would get if you moved ~20 miles to get to the centerline in your area? As you get close to the fringes, the surface features of the moon make the precise times for the start and stop times of totality very difficult to predict, so I would move closer to the centerline if I was only a few miles inside the path.

BC_Goldman

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »
Looks like I'm probably heading to the Paducah area again. As others have said, east isn't looking good so that rules out staying at my sister's near Columbia. Anyone from the Philly area heading down? Everyone I was talking to about going has bailed so right now I'm looking at a solo drive down Sunday into the night, sleep in the car somewhere, see the eclipse on Mon and drive back again afterwards. Sounds fun with people but brutal alone.