Author Topic: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?  (Read 260995 times)

cliffhanger

• Stubble
Re: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?
« Reply #800 on: February 06, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
Oooh, using neo-nazi groups as a representative of the republican party and assuming that republicans are welcoming of them into the party... what an original and logical argument!

Spoiler alert: Arthur Jones is going to lose. He's a despicable human being. The republican party is not supporting his run at all. From the article you provided:
“The Illinois Republican Party and our country have no place for Nazis like Arthur Jones,” Tim Schneider, chairman of the Illinois Republican Party, told the Sun-Times. “We strongly oppose his racist views and his candidacy for any public office, including the 3rd Congressional District.”

There are about 8000 klan members and 3000 neo-nazis in the US. The republican party does not court these losers.

Contrast that proportionality to the examples I used.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #801 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »
Oooh, using neo-nazi groups as a representative of the republican party and assuming that republicans are welcoming of them into the party... what an original and logical argument!

Spoiler alert: Arthur Jones is going to lose. He's a despicable human being. The republican party is not supporting his run at all. From the article you provided:
“The Illinois Republican Party and our country have no place for Nazis like Arthur Jones,” Tim Schneider, chairman of the Illinois Republican Party, told the Sun-Times. “We strongly oppose his racist views and his candidacy for any public office, including the 3rd Congressional District.”

There are about 8000 klan members and 3000 neo-nazis in the US. The republican party does not court these losers.

Contrast that proportionality to the examples I used.

Meh.  You choose silly examples, you get silly examples right back.

I suspect that there are similar numbers of people on the left in favour of suppressing free speech through violence as there are people on the right who support nazis.  The democratic party certainly doesn't court those losers.

I'd say that the women's march is probably about as "left" as the privately organized nazi protest march that happened in Charlottesville is "right".  It's just a group of people who want to get together with like minded folks to march for what they believe in . . . and certainly doesn't speak for every person in the political spectrum that they're most closely associated with.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: February 06, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
So, how ‘bout that Dow Jones, eh?
Yup. Electing that businessman is sure working out for America.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/05/trump-stock-market-down-324880
If you are going credit or blame daily market swings to the president, you should also give him credit for the market being up 15%+ since his inauguration (even with the recent pull back).

I'm of the camp that thinks the president's power to affect the economy (good or bad) is generally far overstated.

You're kind of missing the point.  Trump bragged (stupidly) about new stock record after new stock record which he had nothing to do with (Thanks, Yellen).  Now he's quiet with the market dropping.

All the major indecies increased drastically better under Obama's first year than Trump's if he wants to play the stock market headline game.
The major indeces increased more under Obama's first year because they were recovering from a low base - it's an economic truism that rapid improvement is easier from a low base.

Part of Trump's stupidity, in addition to bragging about something out of his control is that in hyping stock market returns under his Presidency he was choosing to play a game he couldn't win.

You are giving a lot of credit to US voters.  Trump is just Obama on steroids as far as living for the current news cycle and recognizing that the attention span (or lack thereof) of the voter doesn't require any kind of consistency from one news cycle to the next.  When the stock market is doing well, he'll pound on the stock market, when it's doing poorly, he'll pound on jobs numbers, if they turn, he'll pound on immigration, etc.  He's also Obama on steroids as far as using his insane marketing and interpersonal skills and charisma as a crutch that allows him to coast on substance.  I'm still in awe that he looks like a ridiculous caricature and is able to manipulate/persuade people the way he does. 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
You're kind of missing the point.  Trump bragged (stupidly) about new stock record after new stock record which he had nothing to do with (Thanks, Yellen).  Now he's quiet with the market dropping.

In a beautiful segment on Fox, Trump was talking about MAGA and the great economy with the split screen showing the market drop. Fox dropped his speech partway through.

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/37432213/trumps-embarrassing-split-screen-moment-on-stocks

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

zoltani

« Reply #804 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
These days the alt right = anyone I don't agree with. We have people calling Steven Pinker and Jordan Peterson alt right, it's become a joke. People are throwing around that term too loosely.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »
Wait - which party is the party of open-mindedness?
Most recently? The right. Even though the polarization we have faced recently by each side is very bad for our nation, the left has gone off the deep end.
The "right" is not a party. And all of the things you've cited as problems with the left are not supported by the Democratic party.

You're right that the actual list of klan members and outspoken neo-nazis is short but since we're talking about parties, what's relevant is the support* that the president has given them. He's spread the message of these extremist groups by retweeting false statistics and video "evidence" that was taken entirely out of context that originated on the accounts of klan members and nazis. These things cause direct damage to entire racial and religious groups and they encourage close mindedness by increasing fear of the unknown (other races/religions).

And again, if we're talking about parties, I would agree Arthur Jones is a non issue in terms of this discussion. Roy Moore on the other hand received the President's and many other republicans' support. That is AFTER he voiced his opinion on multiple occasions that homosexuals should be punished for their choices. He was once asked if they should be put to death, his response: “Well I don’t, you know, I’m not here to outline any punishments for sodomy." This should have been a resounding "No". And while this was all before the highly credible accusations of sexual abuse to underage girls surfaced, Republicans maintained their support for him after the fact.

If this doesn't at least make you think a little, perhaps we could discuss the scientific evidence that suggests not only are those on the right more close minded but even that as people become more closed minded they also drift towards the right. Really shouldn't come as a surprise considering we also tend to label the parties as conservative and progressive. And by the way this article isn't accusing anyone of anything, it only points out behavioral differences between groups of people and suggests some of the pros and cons.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/calling-truce-political-wars/

*If you take issue with my use of the word "support" here, you've got your political blinders on. He has absolutely put wind in the sails of these organizations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:57:03 AM by Dabnasty »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #806 on: February 06, 2018, 10:31:00 AM »
These days the alt right = anyone I don't agree with. We have people calling Steven Pinker and Jordan Peterson alt right, it's become a joke. People are throwing around that term too loosely.

Yeah, but the connection between Trump and the emboldening of the alt-right, it's not something imaginary. He had Bannon, who ran Breitbart, as his right hand man for months, and the rumor was in addition to having his ear, helped write his talking points. And his cabinet is an alt-right wet dream.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-president-latest-cabinet-sessions-flynn-pompeo-racist-mike-a7426046.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:33:13 AM by partgypsy »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #807 on: February 06, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
Spoiler alert: Arthur Jones is going to lose. He's a despicable human being. The republican party is not supporting his run at all.

Funny, this argument is strangely familiar for some reason.  I'm having flashbacks to like February 2016, when every republican in the country was denouncing Trump. 

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #808 on: February 06, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
*snip stuff about Hillary Clinton*
in European countries her views would place her under the moderate conservative party.
I never understood why using Europe as a metric meant anything.  Why is mentioning this relevant?

None of those countries are considered super powers, which means their budgets are going to be extremely different.  If you compare to the other two super powers, she'd be extremely liberal.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #809 on: February 06, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »
Please name--for the record--the two super powers to which you're alluding.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
in European countries her views would place her under the moderate conservative party.
I never understood why using Europe as a metric meant anything.  Why is mentioning this relevant?

None of those countries are considered super powers, which means their budgets are going to be extremely different.  If you compare to the other two super powers, she'd be extremely liberal.
Because they are developed countries with democratic processes, neither controlled by dictatorships or communists. Why, who do you think we should compare ourselves to?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »

Because they are developed countries with democratic processes, neither controlled by dictatorships or communists. Why, who do you think we should compare ourselves to?

What is the point of the comparison though?  I don't understand what this information is supposed to convey.

There must be an assumption that you are making that I am not.  That European countries are the goal or they are doing better than we are, or something like that.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #812 on: February 06, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »

What is the point of the comparison though?  I don't understand what this information is supposed to convey.

There must be an assumption that you are making that I am not.  That European countries are the goal or they are doing better than we are, or something like that.

It's relevant, and in response to the statement that the "Left" in the United States have gone off the deep end (have become more extreme, or more left). To examine that statement, you have to have a comparison. You can examine the recent history of the Democratic and Republican parties. You can also compare our system to other democratic systems, where if you place the Democratic and Republican parties to other parties in democratic political system countries, our Democratic party would be considered centrist, while the current Republican party would not. It would be closer to the fascist parties. If you want to argue that the Republican party is not that extreme, only by comparing us to countries like China and Russia which do not adhere to democratic processes, well, you are kind of proving my point.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:43:06 PM by partgypsy »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: February 06, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »

It's relevant, and in response to the statement that the "Left" in the United States have gone off the deep end (have become more extreme, or more left). To examine that statement, you have to have a comparison. You can examine the recent history of the Democratic and Republican parties. You can also compare our system to other democratic systems, where if you place the Democratic and Republican parties to other parties in democratic political system countries, our Democratic party would be considered centrist, while the current Republican party would not. It would be closer to the fascist parties. If you want to argue that the Republican party is not that extreme, only by comparing us to countries like China and Russia which do not adhere to democratic processes, well, you are kind of proving my point.   
I was definitely missing your point, that's why I asked.  I was hoping that was obvious.

By mentioning China and Russia, I wasn't trying to say that was the bar that we must strive to be better than.  I was attempting to point out if you are just taking one similarity, and I thought you were tying it to our dominant (Western) European ancestry, you can come up with either answer. 

I also bring up the super power thing because that sets us apart from all European countries.  I know the Dems want to reduce military spending, but I haven't heard any politicians arguing that we should no longer be a super power.  (I'm sure there are individuals that believe that though.)  I think this is the main reason we cannot/should not have the same social policies as they do.  Military is such a drain on our Federal budget.

Therefore, I don't think comparing us to European countries is very insightful.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »

In general (for much of Europe, at least), Europeans have longer life expectancies, have lower murder rates, have higher "happiness" ratings, lead generally healthier lives.

Sources:
https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/health/american-life-expectancy-shorter-than-europeans/index.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-vs-western-homicide-rates-2014-11
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/report-americans-less-healthy-die-younger-than-global-peers

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: February 06, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »

I was definitely missing your point, that's why I asked.  I was hoping that was obvious.

By mentioning China and Russia, I wasn't trying to say that was the bar that we must strive to be better than.  I was attempting to point out if you are just taking one similarity, and I thought you were tying it to our dominant (Western) European ancestry, you can come up with either answer. 

I also bring up the super power thing because that sets us apart from all European countries.  I know the Dems want to reduce military spending, but I haven't heard any politicians arguing that we should no longer be a super power.  (I'm sure there are individuals that believe that though.)  I think this is the main reason we cannot/should not have the same social policies as they do.  Military is such a drain on our Federal budget.

It was simply in the response to that the perception of some, that the Democratic party is going more left, when in reality it is the Republican party which has changed the most in the last decade or so, in troubling ways. The Military spending is a separate issue. But I think voters can certainly ask if the levels appropriated to our military are appropriate, given that we spend 3x what the next superpower (China) spends, and more than 8 of the next highest military spending countries, combined. When you look at wasteful spending, military is fair game, especially in the current climate where CDC programs for example, are being cut 80%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

All government programs are under scrunity. Yet the DOD cannot account for literally trillions of dollars. This is a problem. One that should not be rewarded by throwing more money at them, which is what Trump proposes. 
https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/dod_financial_management/issue_summary
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:47:45 PM by partgypsy »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #816 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:02 PM »
Registered Republican.  First time in my life that I did not vote Republican.  I do regret my decision as I voted third-party and we got stuck with Trump.

With the stuff in the news, i.e. GOP obstruction of Russian investigation, "fake news", "treasonous democrats", tax bill, stupid wall, Chinese creation of global warming, and assault riffle blinders, I think I'm going to vote Democrat going forward. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:00:22 PM by OneCoolCat »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: February 06, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »

It was simply in the response to that the perception of some, that the Democratic party is going more left, when in reality it is the Republican party which has changed the most in the last decade or so, in troubling ways. The Military spending is a separate issue. But I think voters can certainly ask if the levels appropriated to our military are appropriate, given that we spend 3x what the next superpower (China) spends, and more than 8 of the next highest military spending countries, combined. When you look at wasteful spending, military is fair game, especially in the current climate where CDC programs for example, are being cut 80%.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

All government programs are under scrunity. Yet the DOD cannot account for literally trillions of dollars. This is a problem. One that should not be rewarded by throwing more money at them, which is what Trump proposes. 
https://www.gao.gov/key_issues/dod_financial_management/issue_summary
My opinion on the perception of the Democrats going more left is this.  The Democrats have this general list, A, B, C, D ... of things that they want accomplished.  They slowly complete them, and then move on to the next thing.  20 years ago, they might have been working on C and D, and didn't talk much about E and F.  Now that C and D are done, out come E and F, which to someone on the right, makes them look more left.  Also 100 years ago, we had hardly any social welfare.  Now we have "ALL THIS WELFARE" that we didn't have 100 years ago, so each time we get more and more left.

In the opposite side of things, Republicans 20 years ago, would have been trying to reverse A and B, and trying to stop C and D.  Now they are trying to reverse A, B, C, and D, and stopping E and F.  This also makes them look more right, even though they would have been against E and F before, it just wasn't talked about.  Although, some of them are slowly coming around on A and B.  Other than military spending, Republicans seem to be losing ground.

Trump is a different story, since he does not seem to agree with much of Republican policy.  What he says is definitely more extreme, although it isn't left and right extreme, it's up and down extreme.  He is much more authoritarian than most Dems/Repubs, at least based on what he says.  I could be wrong about the Republican policy part though, since he is a leader of the party, he could be shaping the policy.  We will see in 10 years what their policy is.

zoltani

« Reply #818 on: February 06, 2018, 03:34:10 PM »

In general (for much of Europe, at least), Europeans have longer life expectancies, have lower murder rates, have higher "happiness" ratings, lead generally healthier lives.

Sources:
https://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/health/american-life-expectancy-shorter-than-europeans/index.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-vs-western-homicide-rates-2014-11
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/report-americans-less-healthy-die-younger-than-global-peers

That's all well and good, but have you actually lived in Europe? I think most americans that have a hard on for europe have never actually lived there. Visiting is one thing, living there is another.

There is a lot more economic freedom here than in europe. FIRE would be much more difficult in Europe than the US.

For years their emissions standards were applauded in the US, but if you actually go to a large city in europe you will choke on exhaust fumes. All of the european car manufacturers were cheating the system and their cars were polluting up to 40x the allowable limits. It took americans to figure this out and raise the red flag. A lot of the policies and practices that we applaud europe for are actually a nightmare when you live there.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #819 on: February 06, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
Registered Republican.  First time in my life that I did not vote Republican.  I do regret my decision as I voted third-party and we got stuck with Trump.

With the stuff in the news, i.e. GOP obstruction of Russian investigation, "fake news", "treasonous democrats", tax bill, stupid wall, Chinese creation of global warming, and assault riffle blinders, I think I'm going to vote Democrat going forward.

OCC, I'm not sure if you saw this link, which I posted above, so I'm reposting it for you. You might "enjoy" (odd word) reading it, as I think many reasonable Republicans would draw the same conclusion as you, and this is a good discussion as to one reason it's probably the best course of action going forward.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/boycott-the-gop/550907/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:34:04 PM by Kris »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #820 on: February 06, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
Or he's a deep state operative trying to bring down the one good man in politics right now.   :D

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #821 on: February 06, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »

OCC, I'm not sure if you saw this link, which I posted above, so I'm reposting it for you. You might "enjoy" (odd word) reading it, as I think many reasonable Republicans would draw the same conclusion as you, and this is a good discussion as to one reason it's probably the best course of action going forward.

I'm not boycotting the Republican party, I'm leaving them.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »

Yes, and I think that is wise. I shared this because even these committed Republicans and Libertarians have decided that the party such as it is must be essentially destroyed in order for there to be any possibility of ever having a decent Republcan Party again.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #823 on: February 06, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »

Add me to that list -- this election cycle got me to change my registered party, and I don't see it going back.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #824 on: February 06, 2018, 10:05:38 PM »
Several of my republican friends have told me they haven't left the party, it has left them.   

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #825 on: February 07, 2018, 06:16:24 AM »

Add me to that list -- this election cycle got me to change my registered party, and I don't see it going back.

I jumped ship after Bush started an illegal war. I am an independent now though.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #826 on: February 07, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
Wait - which party is the party of open-mindedness?
Pushed normally liberal people away.

From the last link:
Today's progressivism has become a faux-moral movement hurling charges of racism, bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, Islamophobia and a slew of other meaningless buzzwords at anyone they disagree with.

The battle of ideas has been replaced by a battle of feelings, and outrage has replaced honesty. Diversity reigns supreme, as long as it’s not that pesky diversity of thought.

This isn’t the recipe for a free society, it’s a recipe for authoritarianism.

For these reasons, I can no longer call myself a progressive. I don’t really call myself a Democrat either. I’m a classical liberal, a free thinker, and as much as I don’t like to admit it, defending my liberal values has suddenly become a conservative position

-Dave Rubin

I personally was not attracted to the right in my vote for Trump, I was pushed from the left.

Wow, what a bunch of staw man BS. Impressive that a guy which his own show, and youtube channel don't know the meaning of free speech.

- speakers banned from campuses. Shouldn't students be free to have opinions about who they want to speak? Government never entered the equation, isn't that good? Later I he says customers should choose different bakers if they refuse gay customers. Well shouldn't the speakers, or students, then just choose another university? This is also a vastly overblown issue based on a few over-eager students (like most young people). Also rather strange to conflate the protesting of 20-something students with the official policy of the national Democratic party.

- trigger warnings. Ohno, the horror of informing people of things so they can make choices! Does he also oppose age ratings on movies to inform parent's? Or spoiler alerts? You find them silly (perhaps because you haven't been raped..?) well then just read the book and don't worry about it. What's the harm in telling someone else?

quote:
If you’re black, or female, or Muslim, or Hispanic, or a member of any other minority group, you’re judged differently than the most evil of all things: a white, Christian male. The Regressive Left ranks minority groups in a pecking order to compete in a kind of “Oppression Olympics”. Gold medal goes to the most offended.

Ahh, so we've come to this. The white, christian male victim complex! He may be gay, but he's still offended that more equality to minorities and women means less equality for him. Seems like this always comes down to a "zero-sum equality" issue. I also have a hard time finding the policy of any Democratic/progressive politician the part that state white men are evil, and that minorities should be granted greater rights. Where this belief comes from is never explained, it's just stated as fact.

- the "gay wedding cake". How can you be so ignorant of this basic concept? A business (i.e. limited liability etc) is a privilege granted by the government! In exchange you follow the rules! One of which being in this case don't discriminate! You can't mix individual rights and business rights.

zoltani

« Reply #827 on: February 07, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
Regarding the wedding cake do you think that an artist has the right to refuse work that they do not agree with? The wedding cake issue is exactly that. The baker did not refuse to sell them a product, he offered them a cake off the shelf, he refused to use their artistic expression to convey a message he does not agree with. Should artists be compelled to produce art that they do not agree with? Should a hindu artist be compelled to paint a painting depicting slain cows? Should a democrat artist be compelled to produce art depicting Trump as a great leader? Should a muslim newspaper be compelled to print cartoons of Muhammad?

Obviously these are the questions the supreme court will tackle. I support gay marriage, but this issues is more nuanced than media and people make it out to be.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: February 07, 2018, 12:31:08 PM »
Regarding the wedding cake do you think that an artist has the right to refuse work that they do not agree with? The wedding cake issue is exactly that. The baker did not refuse to sell them a product, he offered them a cake off the shelf, he refused to use their artistic expression to convey a message he does not agree with. Should artists be compelled to produce art that they do not agree with? Should a hindu artist be compelled to paint a painting depicting slain cows? Should a democrat artist be compelled to produce art depicting Trump as a great leader? Should a muslim newspaper be compelled to print cartoons of Muhammad?

Obviously these are the questions the supreme court will tackle. I support gay marriage, but this issues is more nuanced than media and people make it out to be.

They never got to the point in the discussion where the baker would have known whether it was or was not going to have "GOD BLESS GAY MARRIAGE" (or whatever you're dreaming of) on top of it.  For all they knew, it could have been a plain cake with nothing on it.  The conversation didn't make it that far and they were denied service simply because they were gay.

Link

Yet by all accounts, the happy couple did not ask Mr. Phillips for a cake bearing a message with which the baker might disagree — such as “God Bless This Gay Marriage,” as a group of First Amendment scholars hypothesized, or a rainbow flag. That could make for a harder case. Instead, the would-be customers stated only that they were seeking a wedding cake before Mr. Phillips said he could not serve them.

Link

Here’s what really happened. The couple went into the bakery. They were not there long before the baker realized they were a gay couple. At that point, the baker refused to serve them. The refusal was not because of what they wanted on their cake—they never even discussed the design—but only because they were gay. It was only later on, after the case had commenced, that the baker said he would sell them a bland, undecorated cake. (From a legal standpoint, even if that were factually true, we settled the whole separate is equal stupidity a few decades ago.)

Link

"The conversation was fairly short," Philips remembered. "I went over and greeted them. We sat down at the desk where I had my wedding books open."
The men told Phillips they wanted a cake to celebrate their planned wedding, which would be performed in another state. Phillips said he knew right away that he couldn't create the product they were looking for without violating his faith.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #829 on: February 07, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »

A baker is an artisan not an artist.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
The "artist" thing is pretty weak sauce, too. It's a business. Even artists that have storefronts, to sell their sculpture or paintings or whatever, have to sell to minorities and families and disabled people. If they want to discriminate, they can be an artist in their backyard studio.

(Edit:)

There is also some concern that allowing a business to deny someone a service because of the owner's personal beliefs would, in effect, pierce the corporate veil. No business wants that because it would expose the owner (and not just the business) to lawsuits.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:43:27 PM by bacchi »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #831 on: February 07, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
the baker refused to serve them because of who they were, not because of what product or design they wanted. Yeah I agree any artist can choose to accept or refuse artistic work they don't want to do. That's not the issue here.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #832 on: February 07, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »
the baker refused to serve them because of who they were, not because of what product or design they wanted. Yeah I agree any artist can choose to accept or refuse artistic work they don't want to do. That's not the issue here.

+1

There's a difference between refusing to provide a wedding cake that looks like two schlongs rubbing together, and refusing to do a regular wedding cake because the couple asking for it is gay.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: February 07, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »

On religious grounds...yet, his religion's book specifically tells him how to treat other people:

Matthew 5:44 ESV   
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Acts 10:34 ESV
So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,

Matthew 7:12 ESV
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Romans 2:11 ESV
For God shows no partiality.

Mark 12:31 ESV
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

1 John 2:11 ESV
But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

James 2:4 ESV
Have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

One could easily argue that the Bible itself says the baker is wrong.

If there's a scripture passage that tells people to discriminate against gay people, I'd love to see it.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: February 07, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »

On religious grounds...yet, his religion's book specifically tells him how to treat other people:

Matthew 5:44 ESV   
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Acts 10:34 ESV
So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,

Matthew 7:12 ESV
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Romans 2:11 ESV
For God shows no partiality.

Mark 12:31 ESV
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

1 John 2:11 ESV
But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

James 2:4 ESV
Have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

One could easily argue that the Bible itself says the baker is wrong.

If there's a scripture passage that tells people to discriminate against gay people, I'd love to see it.

I'll add on to your post a bit...

1 Corinthians 9:9-12 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. But I wasn’t talking about [people who don't claim to be Christians] who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a [Christian] yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.

It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning.

If the interaction was truly 'I don't want to have anything to do with you', then yes, the man was clearly off biblical grounds (and it sounds like that may be the case).

I don't want to interject into the political discussion, but I do want to state that JLee commented verses (though cut down quite a bit) are "Biblically" on-topic for those who may be doubting.

Greenback Reproduction Specialist

• Bristles
« Reply #835 on: February 07, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
Nope no regret,

-He has encouraged large corporations, that were leaving in droves, to repatriate money being held off shore and reinvest in new jobs within the united states. Companies investing in jobs in this country is overwhelmingly a good thing. I’m not sure how anyone could put a bad spin on this, but I wont hold my breath…. I’m sure its coming.

-He passed executive orders designed to eliminate burdensome regulation by requiring that for every new regulation created, two must be eliminated. I see this as a good thing, others will disagree.

-He has eliminated the ACA individual mandate. Again, I see this as a good thing. I dont approve of the government requiring the purchase of anything, and again I know many people disagree. But you probably wouldn’t like it if the GOP passed a law requiring everyone over that age of 18 to own a fire arm to combat crime now would you? I’m sure we could make a case that it would be best for you, we could dig up studies, show you how it is better for the poor and defenseless, should your neighbors suffer because you cant defend yourself? etc….. Forcing people to purchase things is not a good idea period. (some of this is tongue in check, no need to fly off the rails here)

-Trump getting elected has, wither you like him or not, exposed a huge encroachment on personal liberty in this country through the use of the FISA system. I’m not going to pass judgement on if he is or isn’t guilty, but the fact is the investigation process has exposed an opening for corruption to manipulate the FISA warrant system. We should all be discussing how to correct this to prevent future abuse of the system or possibly eliminating mass collection of intelligence on American soil all together.

-My favorite thing though, is he knows how to get under the skin of a liberal, and understands how to manipulate them. With every breath he takes, every move he makes, every word he speaks, the liberals and media are on the verge of losing their collective minds. You don’t get him, he continues to beat you at your own game, and it drives liberals nuts. Which in all honesty is probably exactly what he wants, it’s absolutely brilliant. He has the democrats all so busy chasing their own tail you’re missing the big picture.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #836 on: February 07, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
"He makes liberals angry therefore I love him" seems to sum it up nicely.

A terrible sentiment for a system of government...

Regarding exposure of surveillance being to Trump's credit... Have you heard of Edward Snowden.....?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #837 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
Yeah. It's super-awesome that liberals are mad.

Meanwhile, Trump's presidency has actual consequences. Including for the military.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/ret-major-general-pens-jaw-dropping-damnation-trump-parade-not-commander-chief-right-now/

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #838 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
Isn't the whole FISA/Nunes Memo thing a red herring and simply a mischaracterization of what actually happened?  The "memo" actually showed the investigation began with George P. some time ago and we have subsequently learned: (1) the FISA court knew the funding of the Steele Dossier was politically motivated and (2) the court found their was sufficient NEW evidence presented on atleast 3 subsequent periods that qualified for a continued FISA warrant, which has a exceptionally high standard.

• Bristles
« Reply #839 on: February 07, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »
"He makes liberals angry therefore I love him" seems to sum it up nicely.

A terrible sentiment for a system of government...

Regarding exposure of surveillance being to Trump's credit... Have you heard of Edward Snowden.....?

I think there is a fundamental difference between liberals and republican principals. Liberals seem to want to force their view of the world on others and use government as a means to accomplish compliance. The part that is funny, is liberals are so convinced their way of thinking is correct that they believe they can predict the future, and everything Trump does ends in rising sea levels or world war 3. Its become total gloom and doom. In fairness, I think republican went through this stage as well a few years back, it was laughable too.

Yea Snowden exposed what "could happen", Trump is an example of what "did happen". So yea Snowden was right, and many of the critics mass surveillance have been proven right as well. We were told these things could not happen..... Well they did and now everyone, especially democrats should be fearful of the box of worms that was exposed. This needs to be revisited and changes need to be made, I think we should have bipartisan support on this.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #840 on: February 07, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
-My favorite thing though, is he knows how to get under the skin of a liberal, and understands how to manipulate them. With every breath he takes, every move he makes, every word he speaks, the liberals and media are on the verge of losing their collective minds. You don’t get him, he continues to beat you at your own game, and it drives liberals nuts. Which in all honesty is probably exactly what he wants, it’s absolutely brilliant. He has the democrats all so busy chasing their own tail you’re missing the big picture.
It is hilarious. And not  limited to dems, he did this throughout the R primary etc. I think it's a natural gift he has, he drives his opponents friggin nuts. He owns them. They get so frustrated they cease thinking clearly and just go into full mental Trump Derangement Syndrome mode. TDS FTW!

I say hilarious, but big-picture it's actually quite sad. A sad commentary on the media's (and millions of citizens) maturity level / rationality. One guy can get in their heads and cause hateful derangement of such magnitude.

Like this lady
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/Column-I-detest-Trump-but-a-redneck-fixed-my-Prius-with-zip-ties-_165095870
Holding hate so close in her heart, letting it own her and ruin her life, and giving this awful example to her daughter. She pre-judges the Good Samaritan who helped her, realizes how 'outraged' she is all the time, making her a worse person, and blames Trump for her own actions. So immature and irrational.

zoltani

« Reply #841 on: February 07, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »

They never got to the point in the discussion where the baker would have known whether it was or was not going to have "GOD BLESS GAY MARRIAGE" (or whatever you're dreaming of) on top of it.  For all they knew, it could have been a plain cake with nothing on it.  The conversation didn't make it that far and they were denied service simply because they were gay.

Link

Yet by all accounts, the happy couple did not ask Mr. Phillips for a cake bearing a message with which the baker might disagree — such as “God Bless This Gay Marriage,” as a group of First Amendment scholars hypothesized, or a rainbow flag. That could make for a harder case. Instead, the would-be customers stated only that they were seeking a wedding cake before Mr. Phillips said he could not serve them.

Link

Here’s what really happened. The couple went into the bakery. They were not there long before the baker realized they were a gay couple. At that point, the baker refused to serve them. The refusal was not because of what they wanted on their cake—they never even discussed the design—but only because they were gay. It was only later on, after the case had commenced, that the baker said he would sell them a bland, undecorated cake. (From a legal standpoint, even if that were factually true, we settled the whole separate is equal stupidity a few decades ago.)

Link

"The conversation was fairly short," Philips remembered. "I went over and greeted them. We sat down at the desk where I had my wedding books open."
The men told Phillips they wanted a cake to celebrate their planned wedding, which would be performed in another state. Phillips said he knew right away that he couldn't create the product they were looking for without violating his faith.

If that is the case then it should have been an open and shut case of discrimination and would never have made it to the supreme court. Should be an easy one for the high court to decide then.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: February 07, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
Isn't the whole FISA/Nunes Memo thing a red herring and simply a mischaracterization of what actually happened?  The "memo" actually showed the investigation began with George P. some time ago and we have subsequently learned: (1) the FISA court knew the funding of the Steele Dossier was politically motivated and (2) the court found their was sufficient NEW evidence presented on atleast 3 subsequent periods that qualified for a continued FISA warrant, which has a exceptionally high standard.

Pretty much.  From what I have seen so far, a tirade is unleashed any time a court system rules against DJT. Sometimes he rants about a "so-called judge", sometimes about how our court system is "broken and unfair," and sometimes accuses the court system and FBI of influencing the election (meanwhile we have undisputed proof that Russia has done exactly that).

It's hypocrisy at its finest.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #843 on: February 07, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »
If that is the case then it should have been an open and shut case of discrimination and would never have made it to the supreme court. Should be an easy one for the high court to decide then.

It was pretty open and shut from the perspective of the Colorado judge. I guess we'll find out.

Link

Phillips admitted he had turned away other same-sex couples as a matter of policy. The CCRD’s decision noted evidence in the record that Phillips had expressed willingness to take a cake order for the “marriage” of two dogs, but not for the commitment ceremony of two women, and that he would not make a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding celebration “just as he would not be willing to make a pedophile cake.”

“Masterpiece Cakeshop has willfully and repeatedly considered itself above the law when it comes to discriminating against customers, and the state has rightly determined otherwise,” said Sara R. Neel, staff attorney with the ACLU of Colorado. “It’s important for all Coloradans to be treated fairly by every business that is open to the public – that’s good for business and good for the community.”

This is the world we live in.

zoltani

« Reply #844 on: February 07, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
I wonder how the precedent set in this case will affect the supreme court case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-judge-rules-bakery-owner-can-refuse-wedding-cake-same-sex-couples/

“A wedding cake is not just a cake in a Free Speech analysis,” wrote Superior Court Judge David R. Lampe in a decision late Monday. “It is an artistic expression by the person making it that is to be used traditionally as a centerpiece in the celebration of a marriage. There could not be a greater form of expressive conduct,” he said."

Note that the cake in question had no words.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:29:22 PM by zoltani »

• Bristles
« Reply #845 on: February 07, 2018, 03:48:03 PM »
I wonder how the precedent set in this case will affect the supreme court case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-judge-rules-bakery-owner-can-refuse-wedding-cake-same-sex-couples/

“A wedding cake is not just a cake in a Free Speech analysis,” wrote Superior Court Judge David R. Lampe in a decision late Monday. “It is an artistic expression by the person making it that is to be used traditionally as a centerpiece in the celebration of a marriage. There could not be a greater form of expressive conduct,” he said."

Note that the cake in question had no words.

I cannot believe a California judge (of all places), made that ruling.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: February 07, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
It is hilarious. And not  limited to dems, he did this throughout the R primary etc. I think it's a natural gift he has, he drives his opponents friggin nuts. He owns them. They get so frustrated they cease thinking clearly and just go into full mental Trump Derangement Syndrome mode. TDS FTW!

I say hilarious, but big-picture it's actually quite sad. A sad commentary on the media's (and millions of citizens) maturity level / rationality. One guy can get in their heads and cause hateful derangement of such magnitude.

Like this lady
http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/columns/Column-I-detest-Trump-but-a-redneck-fixed-my-Prius-with-zip-ties-_165095870
Holding hate so close in her heart, letting it own her and ruin her life, and giving this awful example to her daughter. She pre-judges the Good Samaritan who helped her, realizes how 'outraged' she is all the time, making her a worse person, and blames Trump for her own actions. So immature and irrational.

I find the whole thing pretty bizarre.   How can anyone allow Fake Donald to control their life and happiness to such a degree?

I also find it a little sad when people on the right delight in the anxiety he induces in the democrats.   You guys are all citizens of the same country ffs.   Pull together and do great things again.

It was heartening to witness the heavy falcon launch yesterday & the successful recovery of 2 of the boosters.   This is the sort of thing that will MAGA.   Not internecine warfare in congress.   

While the US dicks around with all this crap, China is rapidly displacing you as the predominant power in the world.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #847 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »

Like this lady

I find the whole thing pretty bizarre.   How can anyone allow Fake Donald to control their life and happiness to such a degree?

I also find it a little sad when people on the right delight in the anxiety he induces in the democrats.   You guys are all citizens of the same country ffs.   Pull together and do great things again.

It was heartening to witness the heavy falcon launch yesterday & the successful recovery of 2 of the boosters.   This is the sort of thing that will MAGA.   Not internecine warfare in congress.   

While the US dicks around with all this crap, China is rapidly displacing you as the predominant power in the world.

Pathetic, isn't it? Pretty much the opposite of MAGA.

It's fairly amazing that Trump's base actually considers itself the true patriots.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »

Eh, it's inevitable. China has its own problems, including party warfare, but it has 4x the population. As long as natural resources hold out, and pollution is mitigated, China will have a far larger GDP.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #849 on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »
Nope no regret,

-He has encouraged large corporations, that were leaving in droves, to repatriate money being held off shore and reinvest in new jobs within the united states. Companies investing in jobs in this country is overwhelmingly a good thing. I’m not sure how anyone could put a bad spin on this, but I wont hold my breath…. I’m sure its coming.

I'm not aware of any President that has encouraged offshoring.

-He passed executive orders designed to eliminate burdensome regulation by requiring that for every new regulation created, two must be eliminated. I see this as a good thing, others will disagree.

This seems very subjective. I mean regulations were put in place to hopefully prevent another financial meltdown. Regulation testing (one of the agencies, "CARB," Trump has threatened), helped exposed the VW "clean diesel" fraud. I guess more smog/pollution is a "good thing?" Thousands of premature deaths every year at the hands of NOx diesel based emissions might say otherwise. I am sure there are regulations that are a bit nonsensical, so why not focus on those instead of painting all regulations with the same "regulations are bad" brush stroke.

-He has eliminated the ACA individual mandate. Again, I see this as a good thing. I dont approve of the government requiring the purchase of anything, and again I know many people disagree. But you probably wouldn’t like it if the GOP passed a law requiring everyone over that age of 18 to own a fire arm to combat crime now would you? I’m sure we could make a case that it would be best for you, we could dig up studies, show you how it is better for the poor and defenseless, should your neighbors suffer because you cant defend yourself? etc….. Forcing people to purchase things is not a good idea period. (some of this is tongue in check, no need to fly off the rails here)

To be fair that's not what Trump campaigned for. He voted for wiping out the ACA completely and forcing millions back into uninsured territory. Repealing the ACA mandate won't have much affect in terms of coverage as most collectively get insurance through their employer, but the CBO predicts it will cause roughly a 10% increase in premiums for those with coverage. The issue is that the healthcare pool will tilt towards having more sick people vs healthy people. Healthy people tend to choose not to buy insurance when given a choice.

-Trump getting elected has, wither you like him or not, exposed a huge encroachment on personal liberty in this country through the use of the FISA system. I’m not going to pass judgement on if he is or isn’t guilty, but the fact is the investigation process has exposed an opening for corruption to manipulate the FISA warrant system. We should all be discussing how to correct this to prevent future abuse of the system or possibly eliminating mass collection of intelligence on American soil all together.

Seems rather hypocritical considering Congress just recently passed the FISA Reauthorization Act of 2017 and Trump signed off on this. Both parties are either for or against surveillance depending on who is in power. Trump didn't really expose anything because he is as much for it as anyone (except of course when Dems are in power). Thank Snowden if you want to thank anyone.

Not much to say on this except this says nothing about liberals and more about your own attitude towards others. Enjoying the misery of others isn't typically something people will admit to since it points to internal struggles. It's a great example though of just how important partisanship is to some folks in the country.