Author Topic: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?  (Read 260829 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?
« Reply #650 on: January 23, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
In the last 40 years or so, I don't consider Democrats being the party of racists, and I don't consider the GOP being protectionists.

Why not both?  If you're going to hew to distant historical party positions, Trump is just as much a racist democrat as he is a protectionist republican.

Which suggests to me that Trump isn't so much tied to modern political party ideologies as he is tied to long-abandoned positions from our historical past. His idea of MAGA appears to be returning us to the 1860s.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: January 23, 2018, 12:08:47 PM »
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R44707.pdf

The United States Constitution gives Congress the power to impose and collect taxes, tariffs, duties, and the like, and to regulate international commerce. While the Constitution gives the President authority to negotiate international agreements, it assigns him no specific power over international commerce and trade.

If you are 1) going to carry the Constitution around in a pocket-sized book you don't then get to praise the President for violating the Constitution and 2) one of the people upset at the number of EO's Barack Obama signed you should remain consistent in your views and hold Trump to the same standard of not picking winners and losers.

As I said above, are Republicans actually capitalists or not?  Protectionism by definition is anti-free market capitalism.  I don't care either way.  Just pick one and then stick to it.

There are 38,000 solar manufacturing jobs and many companies have come out and said this is going to kill jobs.  That number may be cut in half IN A YEAR.  So don't feed me the B.S. that Trump cares about Americans when he's signing an EO that will kill thousands of jobs in the solar industry.

If Republicans are now anti-free market capitalists, pro-EO, anti-Constitutionalists...fine.  Just say it and own it and stop running back and forth between positions when it's politically convenient.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #652 on: January 23, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
In the last 40 years or so, I don't consider Democrats being the party of racists, and I don't consider the GOP being protectionists.

Why not both?  If you're going to hew to distant historical party positions, Trump is just as much a racist democrat as he is a protectionist republican.

Which suggests to me that Trump isn't so much tied to modern political party ideologies as he is tied to long-abandoned positions from our historical past. His idea of MAGA appears to be returning us to the 1860s.
Yeah, I never considered Trump to be a conservative.  The GOP seems to be moving away from conservatism, I guess.

As I said above, are Republicans actually capitalists or not?  Protectionism by definition is anti-free market capitalism.  I don't care either way.  Just pick one and then stick to it.

There are many Republicans, some are capitalists, some are not.  Most I know are capitalists, but I cannot say for the majority.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-solar-tariff-backfires-36cb1c4f7fbc/

The bottom line is that Trump’s new tariff on solar imports will have a very limited impact on China or domestic solar manufacturers, but red states will take a disproportionate share of the lost revenues and lost jobs from the reduction in U.S. solar installations — and taxpayers will end up footing much of the bill. This, sadly, is the kind of counterproductive impact we have come to expect from Trump’s energy policies.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/trumps-solar-tax-will-hurt-trump-more-than-solar.html?utm_campaign=di&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Analysts expect that the tariffs will create negligible American jobs in solar-panel manufacturing. Turning the clock back on solar adoption by about two years is not going to do much to save coal or prevent the continued spread of clean energy. Like many of his attacks on the Obama legacy, he is throwing sand in the gears of operations that he cannot stop.

It’s also worth noting that clean energy is really, really popular. People may not like carbon taxes, but they definitely like the idea of supporting new renewable energy.

That’s why John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012 both gave at least lip service to the idea of supporting more renewable energy, and Trump claimed to harbor an abiding affection for solar energy. (“I know a lot about solar. I love solar.”) He was not promising to tax solar energy. That’s another unpopular action he’ll have to defend in 2020.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: January 23, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »

The bottom line is that Trump’s new tariff on solar imports will have a very limited impact on China or domestic solar manufacturers, but red states will take a disproportionate share of the lost revenues and lost jobs from the reduction in U.S. solar installations — and taxpayers will end up footing much of the bill. This, sadly, is the kind of counterproductive impact we have come to expect from Trump’s energy policies.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/trumps-solar-tax-will-hurt-trump-more-than-solar.html?utm_campaign=di&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Analysts expect that the tariffs will create negligible American jobs in solar-panel manufacturing. Turning the clock back on solar adoption by about two years is not going to do much to save coal or prevent the continued spread of clean energy. Like many of his attacks on the Obama legacy, he is throwing sand in the gears of operations that he cannot stop.

It’s also worth noting that clean energy is really, really popular. People may not like carbon taxes, but they definitely like the idea of supporting new renewable energy.

That’s why John McCain in 2008 and Mitt Romney in 2012 both gave at least lip service to the idea of supporting more renewable energy, and Trump claimed to harbor an abiding affection for solar energy. (“I know a lot about solar. I love solar.”) He was not promising to tax solar energy. That’s another unpopular action he’ll have to defend in 2020.

I am glad we did our rooftop solar installation before all of this happened. We need more people adopting solar and wind. Not less. We're going to end up so far behind the rest of the world at this rate.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #655 on: January 23, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »
Yeah, I never considered Trump to be a conservative.  The GOP seems to be moving away from conservatism, I guess.

Trump is basically a populist democrat from 10-15 years ago, and that's more or less what put him over the edge, is winning populist democrats who were turned off by identify politics, environmentalism as religion, and coastal elitism of the modern democrat party. 

Conservative doesn't really meaningfully describe any significant faction in the current political landscape.
 Liberal still reasonably describes something to people, even if it is more or less the exact opposite of the dictionary definition of the word liberal.  Many "conservatives" are in fact radicals that want to go back to a federal government limited to enumerated powers, but not enough of them for that to be a useful word the way liberal is to describe statists.  There's still a small group of people who are "standing athwart history and yelling stop", but they are a very small group also.  Just not a lot of people that think the current level of government scope and powers are appropriate without wanting to expand them.  There is probably a small group of people in the republican party who do want to roll back government, but incrementally.    But mostly I think people have given up on principled approaches to government.  They are just less obvious versions of trump, picking positions out of the air with no rhyme or reason other than a few issues they particularly are impacted by personally or are just passionate about a particular issue.

There are many Republicans, some are capitalists, some are not.  Most I know are capitalists, but I cannot say for the majority.

I would say most are free market capitalist except protectionist when it comes to their business/profession/employment (maybe by being pro licensing, pro-regulation that limits competition, or straight up protectionist trade policy).  Similarly to most people on the left being pro-regulation generally, but the regulation in the industry that they have expertise in just happens to be particularly bad. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #656 on: January 24, 2018, 06:14:45 AM »

I am glad we did our rooftop solar installation before all of this happened. We need more people adopting solar and wind. Not less. We're going to end up so far behind the rest of the world at this rate.

Good for you! Yep we are already really far behind. This will put us further behind. But it will be applauded by Trump supporters mostly. Only in America is passing legislature, jacking up prices, stifling an industry and causing massive layoffs considered a prerequisite for making our country great (again) I guess. Seems to be the theme the last few days on here.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #657 on: January 24, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
Trump is basically a populist democrat from 10-15 years ago, and that's more or less what put him over the edge, is winning populist democrats who were turned off by identify politics

Building a wall to keep Mexicans out, trying to ban Muslims from entering the country, supporting the Klan, condoning sexual violence against women, attacking black football players, . . . An awful lot of Trump's ideas (both before and after being elected) revolve around identity politics.  If identity politics are important to you, I don't see how you could possibly be a Trump supporter.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #658 on: January 24, 2018, 08:30:16 AM »
Trump did say he wanted to bring back coal. What better way than to kill off part of the renewable industry?

Just another reason to avoid supporting the GOP on voting day.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #659 on: January 24, 2018, 08:38:09 AM »
Trump did say he wanted to bring back coal. What better way than to kill off part of the renewable industry?

You say that as if it's an amusing side effect, but I thought that was always transparently the point.  When he said he wanted to bring back coal, what he was really saying was that he was going to stop renewable energy.  It wasn't even coded the way these things usually are (e.g. "states rights", "Barack Hussein Obama", "welfare queens"). 

This sort of language is designed to sound innocuous to some voters, but to convey a second meaning to some subset of the base, usually a subset that shares media exposure to conservative media that repeats these phrases ad naseum in the context of denigrating something.  But Trump's announcements about how much he loves the coal industry aren't even hidden very well, they just seem like obvious anti-renewable-energy talk to me, and I assumed to everyone else too. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #660 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
"This sort of language is designed to sound innocuous to some voters, but to convey a second meaning to some subset of the base, usually a subset that shares media exposure to conservative media that repeats these phrases ad naseum in the context of denigrating something."

That's a main strategy tool of the GOP - its all double speak. I can't listen to anything they say without considering any potential alternative messages.

The DEMs - not so much. They seem to say what they mean more often. They aren't perfect.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #661 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:32 AM »

Just another reason to avoid supporting the GOP on voting day.

Renewables aren't killing off coal.  Renewables are mostly just a wealth transfer mechanism in the U.S., generally moving money from poor to wealthy if it is a state level policy like net metering or renewable portfolio standard supporting renewables, and from taxpayer to richer taxpayer as far as the 30% tax credit for solar or the production credit for wind.  But even with all that, they don't displace much coal.  They are small percentage of energy produced to begin with and even where there are large concentrations, they tend to displace natural gas rather than coal because of the intermittent nature of their load.

Coal has been killed by a combination of costly regulations and cheap natural gas, and probably most importantly for the long term, by the regulatory uncertainty.  IN the short term, natural gas has displaced a lot of coal because of economics and a lot of coal plants have been shut down or converted because of CSPR, MATS, Clean Power Plan, etc.  Even the regulations that are ultimately shut down or not even implemented cause coal plants to be shuttered or converted because utilities have to plan as if they are going to be implemented.  That's really hurt the coal industry in the short term, as a ton of their domestic market just disappeared.  But what's killing coal in the long term is that coal plants are baseload plants that are really capital intensive but make sense economically because they provide economic power for 40 years.  Nobody is going to build coal plants when they might get shut down in ten years (or less). 

For the long term, U.S. coal that stays in the U.S. is going to go to industrial processes and the U.S. coal industry will be dependent on foreign demand to replace the demand that has disappeared from the U.S. utility industry. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »
And today in “our president is an idiot,” Donald Trump tells Theresa May he won’t visit the UK unless she bans protests.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/donald-trump-tells-theresa-may-he-wont-visit-uk-unless-she-bans-protests-1656638

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
And today in “our president is an idiot,” Donald Trump tells Theresa May he won’t visit the UK unless she bans protests.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/donald-trump-tells-theresa-may-he-wont-visit-uk-unless-she-bans-protests-1656638

Bans... protests...?

An American said that?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
The dictator is strong in this one.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2018, 09:55:10 AM »

The DEMs - not so much. They seem to say what they mean more often. They aren't perfect.

You're kidding, right? So many things the democrats say are like this. It's a politician thing. Republicans certainly do it, but the Dems, ABSOLUTELY do this to, and in similar magnitudes. It would be a delusion to think otherwise or consider this somehow unique to the GOP.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »

Please revise your post to state what he ACTUALLY said.  He didn't say "Ban protests." He wanted assurances he wouldn't be met with them, which is a subtle yet key difference than requesting that they be banned.  she didn't comply, he went anyway. (I thought he went to the UK, he's actually currently in Switzerland.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:54:40 AM by ncornilsen »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »

Please revise your post to state what he ACTUALLY said.  He didn't say "Ban protests." He wanted assurances he wouldn't be met with them, which is a subtle yet key difference than requesting that they be banned.  she didn't comply, he went anyway.

How would it have been in her power to prevent Trump from being met with protests without banning them (at least in particular areas)?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »

Please revise your post to state what he ACTUALLY said.  He didn't say "Ban protests." He wanted assurances he wouldn't be met with them, which is a subtle yet key difference than requesting that they be banned.  she didn't comply, he went anyway.

How would it have been in her power to prevent Trump from being met with protests without banning them (at least in particular areas)?

I'm not sure, and I'm not saying that was a reasonable request Like I said, it's it is a subtle difference, yet not at all like demanding she BAN protests of trump.

but they could be confined to a specific area of town. that's not the same as banning them. When Obama visited  small rural town I used to live near, those who wanted to protest him, and what he was there to say and do, were kept well away from where he was going to be. The reporters also didn't bother showing up, despite the large crowd.

Please note: I am only here to counteract the frothy, naked, irrational hatred of Trump. I do not support the man, my vote for him was only a vote to undermine the 'inevitable' mandate that hillary might have felt she had, had she been elected. His impeachment, provided evidence of actual wrong doing, would be A-OK with me. The anti-trump sentiment is quite well represented so I remain silent on that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:09:48 AM by ncornilsen »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #669 on: January 26, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »
The request could not have been fulfilled without banning protests in areas that Trump was likely to go . . . so therefore it was a request to ban protests.  You were unable to provide another interpretation of the comment.  That would therefore seem to be a reasonable way to view the situation without 'frothy, naked, or irrational hatred of Trump'.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »

He went anyway?

Uh,what?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #671 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Please note: I am only here to counteract the frothy, naked, irrational hatred of Trump. I do not support the man, my vote for him was only a vote to undermine the 'inevitable' mandate that hillary might have felt she had, had she been elected. His impeachment, provided evidence of actual wrong doing, would be A-OK with me. The anti-trump sentiment is quite well represented so I remain silent on that.

Seems like you really picked the wrong word here. Not understanding why folks despise Trump does not make them irrational.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #672 on: January 26, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »
The request could not have been fulfilled without banning protests in areas that Trump was likely to go . . . so therefore it was a request to ban protests.  You were unable to provide another interpretation of the comment.  That would therefore seem to be a reasonable way to view the situation without 'frothy, naked, or irrational hatred of Trump'.

Have none of you really ever been asked for a personal representation for a judgment you are in a better position to make? 

Maybe Trump was actually asking for protests to be banned (even though he hasn't tried to ban protests in the U.S.), but it seems more likely he was looking for something along the lines of (1) Tell me the truth, am I going to be walking into a shitstorm or (2) Tell me the truth, are you going to be able to arrange our appearances so I'm not in the middle of a shit storm (which in the U.S. might take the form of doing the "appearance" on a military base or some other restricted access but looks public site).  But it definitely takes a lack of imagination and any real world experience to claim he was for sure asking for protests to be banned. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Maybe Trump was actually asking for protests to be banned (even though he hasn't tried to ban protests in the U.S.),

Eh.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/10/16758148/trump-dave-weigel-washington-post-crowd-size
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/432064/donald-trump-first-amendment-hed-gut-it
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/01/04/trumps-cease-and-desist-letter-a-desperate-attempt-to-silence-bannon/?utm_term=.2ab746cfeca8
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/presidential/trump-tillerson-moron-nbc-news-stephanie-ruhle-20171005.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/26/trump-pledges-curb-press-freedom-libel-laws-first-amendment
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/23/trump_thanksgiving_tweet_menacingly_singles_out_reporter_for_calling_him.html
. . . etc.

Banning protests is certainly within the realm of Trumps typical behaviour to silence critics in the US.

it seems more likely he was looking for something along the lines of (1) Tell me the truth, am I going to be walking into a shitstorm or (2) Tell me the truth, are you going to be able to arrange our appearances so I'm not in the middle of a shit storm (which in the U.S. might take the form of doing the "appearance" on a military base or some other restricted access but looks public site).

So you believe it's more likely that he was asking for something that he didn't request?  And that he failed to travel to the country because his lack of request to meet at a military base wasn't met?

But it definitely takes a lack of imagination and any real world experience to claim he was for sure asking for protests to be banned. 

I prefer not to deal with imagination when talking to people . . . but to take their words at face value.  In my real world experience, imagining new meanings to everything that someone says is both unproductive and wrong.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:52:25 AM by GuitarStv »

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: January 26, 2018, 10:52:16 AM »

Seems like you really picked the wrong word here. Not understanding why folks despise Trump does not make them irrational.

A fine point, but it applies the other way to. Not understanding why people dispised Clinton enough to vote against here doesn't make them irrational, either.

There is a level of disgust and dispisement of trump that is reasonable. What I see a ton of, is speculation on what might have said, what he might say, what he might mean if you read-between-the-lines-just-so, that everyone gets fired up about. I understand the rational reasons to dispise trump, and I'm not talking about that. He's a gross human being. Cheated on his wife, has no decorum, is bombastic and provactive (and not in the way that might shake things up and cause some creative desruction).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:57:57 AM by ncornilsen »

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #675 on: January 26, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »

He went anyway?

Uh,what?

Heh, yeah I made a mistake. He's in Switzerland, not the UK. I had mixed that up.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #676 on: January 26, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »

He went anyway?

Uh,what?

He's scheduled to go, hasn't gone yet.
As you might have noticed, Trump is not fond of free speech of others so, yeah while he didn't say ban them, he also said he didn't want to be bothered by them. But sometimes that's the price of freedom. I'm fine with that as long as it is done peacefully.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: January 26, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »

Have none of you really ever been asked for a personal representation for a judgment you are in a better position to make? 

Maybe Trump was actually asking for protests to be banned (even though he hasn't tried to ban protests in the U.S.), but it seems more likely he was looking for something along the lines of (1) Tell me the truth, am I going to be walking into a shitstorm or (2) Tell me the truth, are you going to be able to arrange our appearances so I'm not in the middle of a shit storm (which in the U.S. might take the form of doing the "appearance" on a military base or some other restricted access but looks public site).  But it definitely takes a lack of imagination and any real world experience to claim he was for sure asking for protests to be banned.
Trump was lined up to open the new US Embassy in London.  It's in Battersea, which is inner London.  The chances of his visit not being a shitstorm of protest (even if not quite at the level of bare bottoms along the Mall) were nil.  Any attempts by Prime Minister May to limit legitimate, peaceful protest would have been politically ruinous.

tl;dr Trump was asking for a ban, May said no, Trump didn't come, outcome excellent.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: January 26, 2018, 11:00:27 AM »

I prefer not to deal with imagination when talking to people . . . but to take their words at face value.  In my real world experience, imagining new meanings to everything that someone says is both unproductive and wrong.

so why are you doing it with what Trump said?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #679 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »

I'm not.

Let's say I told you to kill someone, while pointing at a fat white guy.

"GuitarStv tells ncornilsen to kill someone" is true.

"GuitarStv demands death of fat white guy"  is also true.

Neither deal with imagination.

Telling someone that you're not going to visit their country because you don't want to deal with protests is no different from telling them to ban protests or you won't visit.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #680 on: January 26, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »

I'm not.

Telling someone that you're not going to visit their country because you don't want to deal with protests is no different from telling them to ban protests or you won't visit.

No, not necessarily.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:44:36 AM by caffeine »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:46 AM »

Are you suggesting there is no irrational hatred of Trump?  ncornilsen is only here to counteract the irrational hatred.  He's perfectly fine with the rational hatred, as am I.

I think what he said was not the wrong word.  The only way it would be wrong is if there is no irrational Trump hate.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #682 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

I'm not.

No, not necessarily.

Not "necessarily," but in this context it absolutely is.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #683 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »

A fine point, but it applies the other way to. Not understanding why people dispised Clinton enough to vote against here doesn't make them irrational, either.

There is a level of disgust and dispisement of trump that is reasonable. What I see a ton of, is speculation on what might have said, what he might say, what he might mean if you read-between-the-lines-just-so, that everyone gets fired up about. I understand the rational reasons to dispise trump, and I'm not talking about that. He's a gross human being. Cheated on his wife, has no decorum, is bombastic and provactive (and not in the way that might shake things up and cause some creative desruction).

Don't forget he cheated on ALL his wives - at least once with a porn star and perhaps with prostitutes. Said some creepy stuff about his daughters too. He doesn't get to lecture anyone about morality or truth anymore. I'm not even a prude about that stuff but he can't travel through life launching frequent self-righteous attacks on other people while he is breaking the law, breaking his marital vows, lying, etc. He's a lousy person.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: January 26, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
I really think we should just let this one go. I'm confident that if banning protests could have gotten Trump what he wanted he would be all for it, but I don't think that's what he said. Either A) he was asking that protests be restricted to certain areas or B) he was asking for something that he didn't think all the way through. B is my assumption in this case because not thinking through the logistics and technical issues of accomplishing a thing is par for the course coming from Trump.

But the real reason I think we should let it go is that there are so many concrete examples of Trump saying and doing things worse than this that we shouldn't spend too much time arguing about the details of what he meant when there's actually a plausible alternative to him asking for a ban. For fuck's sake, he puts random quotation marks in his tweets so he can say he wasn't being literal or that he was just quoting someone. That's the kind of excuse 12 year olds make. If he thinks he's fooling anyone with that (unfortunately he probably is) he wouldn't think twice about this request.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: January 26, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »

Are you suggesting there is no irrational hatred of Trump?  ncornilsen is only here to counteract the irrational hatred.  He's perfectly fine with the rational hatred, as am I.

I think what he said was not the wrong word.  The only way it would be wrong is if there is no irrational Trump hate.

Well, as people tend to use words like “rational” in these cases to mean “that which I agree with” and “irrational” as “everything else,” it’s mostly just a word game used as a way to dismiss others’ legitimate complaints. So, meh.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #686 on: January 26, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »

I'm not.

No, not necessarily.

I don't agree. We have significant precedent for corralling protestors away from certain areas and not calling it a "ban on protests." I agree it's a bit childish for trump to want to be sheilded from it, the same way it was childish for Obama, Bush, the mayor (former mayor?) of Portland, et all, to do the same thing.

Let me pose a different scenario.

"guitarstv tells ncornilsen that he wants his neighbor to quit leaving crap on his lawn."

"guitarstv tells ncornilsen that he wants his neighbor dead" are NOT the same. GuitarStv is not responsible for someone interpreting the first statement as equal to the second, that lies with the knuckleheads who falsely equate the two.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: January 26, 2018, 12:25:05 PM »

Well, as people tend to use words like “rational” in these cases to mean “that which I agree with” and “irrational” as “everything else,” it’s mostly just a word game used as a way to dismiss others’ legitimate complaints. So, meh.
Even with those definitions, to say it's the wrong word means you've never heard a complaint about Trump that went too far.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:46 PM »

Are you suggesting there is no irrational hatred of Trump?

Nope because I don't/can't pretend to know every reason why someone loves or hates Trump.

ncornilsen is only here to counteract the irrational hatred.  He's perfectly fine with the rational hatred, as am I.

Irrational is subjective. For instance you might find it irrational to despise a racist. Whereas I find it perfectly rational. Who is correct? What you mean is you are fine with the "hatred" that you agree with and try to point out hatred you don't agree with. Even that is subjective since "hatred" is often misconstrued.

Point being, you can't possibly understand, completely the mental well being of another that influences their emotional state enough to put some sort of rational/irrational label on it. Certainly not on some Internet forum where there is no face to face.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: January 26, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »

Well, when you (apparently) have no real world experience, you need to do something to account for that.  Imagination does have a connotation of fanciful, but I don't know how else to describe being able to anticipate situations you haven't encountered.  I would say just use logic, because it seems pretty easy to infer potential meanings using logic, but apparently, it's not as easy as it seems and maybe I would be similarly limited if I didn't have any relevant real life experiences.   

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: January 26, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »

I'm not.

No, not necessarily.

I don't agree. We have significant precedent for corralling protestors away from certain areas and not calling it a "ban on protests." I agree it's a bit childish for trump to want to be sheilded from it, the same way it was childish for Obama, Bush, the mayor (former mayor?) of Portland, et all, to do the same thing.

"guitarstv tells ncornilsen that he wants his neighbor to quit leaving crap on his lawn."

"guitarstv tells ncornilsen that he wants his neighbor dead" are NOT the same. GuitarStv is not responsible for someone interpreting the first statement as equal to the second, that lies with the knuckleheads who falsely equate the two.

Are you referring to the mayor of Portland who asked the federal government to rescind/deny the permits for alt-right rallies last year?  The ones that the federal government refused to revoke because of that pesky free speech thing we're supposed to support?

If you can cite a case where Obama or Bush banned protests, that'd be appreciated.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #691 on: January 26, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »

Well, when you (apparently) have no real world experience, you need to do something to account for that.  Imagination does have a connotation of fanciful, but I don't know how else to describe being able to anticipate situations you haven't encountered.  I would say just use logic, because it seems pretty easy to infer potential meanings using logic, but apparently, it's not as easy as it seems and maybe I would be similarly limited if I didn't have any relevant real life experiences.   

Hold me back bro, I'm a millennial with (apparently) no real life experience and there are tide pods in my house . . .

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #692 on: January 26, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
Whether you support him now or not, your vote for him means you did support him.  Everything after that is merely justification.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: January 26, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »

Even with those definitions, to say it's the wrong word means you've never heard a complaint about Trump that went too far.

No, it just means, why engage in an argument that you believe to have been undertaken in bad faith?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #694 on: January 26, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »

No, it just means, why engage in an argument that you believe to have been undertaken in bad faith?

I'm not.

No, not necessarily.

Are you referring to the mayor of Portland who asked the federal government to rescind/deny the permits for alt-right rallies last year?  The ones that the federal government refused to revoke because of that pesky free speech thing we're supposed to support?

If you can cite a case where Obama or Bush banned protests, that'd be appreciated.

I was referring to a protest of the mayor's housing plans that was quitely denied a permit... as well as the incident where Patriot Prayer, an right-wing group that has denounce racists and the alt right, was unfairly characterized as 'alt-right.'

Your definition seems to be, than any effort to contain a protest to a specific area is considered a ban on protests.  If so, they any time there's been a permit issued for a protest that specified a route, location, time, or whatever, then somehow a protest was banned.

My definition of banning a protest doesn't include speciying a specific place for it to occur.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: January 26, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »

I'm not.

No, not necessarily.

I was referring to a protest of the mayor's housing plans that was quitely denied a permit... as well as the incident where Patriot Prayer, an right-wing group that has denounce racists and the alt right, was unfairly characterized as 'alt-right.'

Your definition seems to be, than any effort to contain a protest to a specific area is considered a ban on protests.  If so, they any time there's been a permit issued for a protest that specified a route, location, time, or whatever, then somehow a protest was banned.

My definition of banning a protest doesn't include speciying a specific place for it to occur.

You have exceptionally slippery logic and a solid case of what-about-ism.

Trump refuses to go to the UK unless he can get a "warm welcome."

In one phone conversation during 2017, Trump complained to May over the criticism he’d been getting in British newspapers. Amid warnings that Trump would face protests in the streets when he arrived, he told the prime minister he would not be coming to the U.K. until she could promise him a warm welcome.

source

It is clear that Trump considers the existence of protests to be...well, not a warm welcome.  How exactly are his criteria going to be met unless you "officially or legally prohibit" protests?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:15:37 PM by JLee »

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: January 27, 2018, 02:24:26 AM »
Long story short, Trump's not going to London. Unless the British government physically lock down every metre of road between Heathrow, number 10 and Buckingham Palace, he's going to be greeted by a deafening cacophony of booing at the very least. It's genuinely hard to get across to people in the US just how wildly, spectacularly unpopular Trump is in western Europe. All the back and forth currently going on is obscuring the reality of the situation: the Tories have absolutely no way of even beginning to create the kind of environment Trump would expect, and even though they're isolationist rightwingers, huge swathes of the parliamentary party would sooner eat a bag of dog food than be seen to denigrate the right to protest in order to make Donald Trump happy. The trip isn't happening, because it would be an unmitigated disaster in every direction.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2018, 05:21:54 PM »
From what I hear, it's scheduled in February. I don't think a visit like this can be canceled at this late notice.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: January 28, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
From what I hear, it's scheduled in February. I don't think a visit like this can be canceled at this late notice.

All I can find is something scheduled for October.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #699 on: January 29, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
Oh there was one scheduled Feb 2018, but it looks like it's canceled. I hope that didn't cost the taxpayers any money.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/01/12/trump-cancels-london-visit-blaming-obamas-embassy-decision/1027345001/