Author Topic: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?  (Read 260848 times)

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
Re: Does Anyone Regret Voting Republican?
« Reply #450 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
In what ways do you feel the country was going in a negative direction?
I am required to answer this kind of question.
Your phrasing struck me, and I'm curious why/how you are required to answer the question?

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:09 PM »
Wow.  This thread certainly took an unexpected turn.
It may not be possible to have this conversation on this forum.

We'll see.

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: December 31, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Your phrasing struck me, and I'm curious why/how you are required to answer the question?
I took it as a serious spiritual question. If I know some part of the answer, I have to say so. Yes?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: December 31, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
I'm still unclear on what a "Jezebel Spirit" is.  Can you clarify for me?

Do you mean "Jezebel" in the biblical sense, like the woman who led her husband to worship a different god aside from the bible's one "approved" version?  Are you using it as a stand-in for feminism and equality, or for the supposed over-extension of equality to too many people?

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: December 31, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
Wow.  This thread certainly took an unexpected turn.

Yes, it is suddenly the best thread on the entire forum.

It does seem far afield of investing, but I guess it is officially classified as “Off Topic.”

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #455 on: December 31, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »
I took it as a serious spiritual question. If I know some part of the answer, I have to say so. Yes?

You took it wrong then. My question had nothing to do with spirituality, which I believe should be kept as far away from politics as possible.

You are clearly a very spiritual person and so you may color in the lines of other people's words with what is important in your life. If you would like to have a real conversation with others on the forum about this I suggest:

1) start another thread
2) be WAY more open minded towards different views. You sound very sure of yourself which is directly opposed to being "Wise"

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #456 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »

You took it wrong then. My question had nothing to do with spirituality, which I believe should be kept as far away from politics as possible.

You are clearly a very spiritual person and so you may color in the lines of other people's words with what is important in your life. If you would like to have a real conversation with others on the forum about this I suggest:

1) start another thread
2) be WAY more open minded towards different views. You sound very sure of yourself which is directly opposed to being "Wise"
Oh, so not a serious spiritual question. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

The politics are threadbare and repetitive.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: December 31, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »
1) start another thread

Sshhhh, don't ruin a good thing.

This is an OT thread about people's voting history and the way the events of the past year have colored their perception.  I think a discussion about pussy grabbers/hats is absolutely on point. 

I'm still fuzzy on the Jezebel Spirits, thing, though.  There's just so much to unpack there.

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: December 31, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »
1) start another thread

Sshhhh, don't ruin a good thing.

This is an OT thread about people's voting history and the way the events of the past year have colored their perception.  I think a discussion about pussy grabbers/hats is absolutely on point. 

I'm still fuzzy on the Jezebel Spirits, thing, though.  There's just so much to unpack there.

Sorry, Sol, you already blew it in this thread. I regard any comments from you as insincere.

My time is worth something. How about yours?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #459 on: December 31, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
I'm still unclear on what a "Jezebel Spirit" is.  Can you clarify for me?

Do you mean "Jezebel" in the biblical sense, like the woman who led her husband to worship a different god aside from the bible's one "approved" version?  Are you using it as a stand-in for feminism and equality, or for the supposed over-extension of equality to too many people?
@Wise Virgin if you won't answer this for Sol, can you please clarify it for me?  The only reason I did not ask was because he had.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: December 31, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »
My time is worth something. How about yours?
You spent 9 days praying a novena on your marrowbones!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: December 31, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
I regard any comments from you as insincere.

Not at all!  You told us you thought the country was headed in a bad direction, and when asked to explain why you offered us a story I still don't quite understand.  Is the Jezebel Spirit an over-reaction to women's liberation?  Is it a metaphor for moral decay?  Your discussion genuinely intrigues me, and while I don't share the spiritual undertones of your views that doesn't mean your complaints themselves aren't legitimate.

So please, flesh it out a little for me.  What was wrong with the country before the election, that is now better/worse because of the election, and how does that color your feelings about your vote?  That's what this thread is about, right?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #462 on: December 31, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
Fine, I'm in. Let's talk about the Jezebel spirit.

Can you elaborate Wise Virgin?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2017, 06:31:12 PM »
The Jezebel spirit preys especially on women who have been brutalized by male power.

So is it related to the recent spate of sexual assault revelations currently plaguing entertainment and politics?  Those women have been "brutalized by male power" but I consider the widespread dissemination of their stories to be a good thing for the world.  We need to recognize these problems if we're ever going to fix them.

I'm hoping this isn't another one of those "blame the victim" ideologies that churches sometimes push, like poor people suffer because they they aren't virtuous enough, and women get raped because of the clothes they wear.  Please tell me that's not where you were heading with this Jezebel Spirit analogy, because right now it still sounds like you're suggesting that women are at fault for the abuses of the patriarchy.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell what is of human origin and what is from a wicked spirit.

My take on it is that everything like this is of human origin, though lots of it is the product of complicated group dynamics and not individual humans.  I can sort of justify blaming an evil spirit for a Black Friday store-opening trampling death, for example, even though I don't believe in literal ghosts.  Angry crowds react in unpredictable ways.  Stock market bubbles, too, can be metaphorically attributed to animal spirits.

The way to know for sure is, when the evil is reaching its zenith, the spirit wants to show its face. It makes its victims mock themselves... That is what a pussy hat is.

Which victims are we talking about here, still women brutalized by male power?  You think the pussy hats are women mocking themselves?  Because I got a VERY different vibe off of that whole thing.

And how does any of this relate to the state of the country before the election, which caused you to "pray a novena on your marrowbones"?  Aside from being a delightful turn of phrase, I'm still unclear on what problem you prayed on, and how you are able to interpret President Trump as an answer to those prayers.  Because from my perspective, if you were worried about sexual assault then our country electing a sexual assaulter to the Presidency is more like victims mocking themselves than just about anything else imaginable.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
Hold the phone! 

Google has answered all of my questions.  The Jezebel Spirit is a widely embraced theory in some dark corners of the interwebz.  Dark fundie corners.

There is SO much to learn!

https://www.bible-knowledge.com/the-jezebel-spirit-and-how-it-operates/
https://aandbcounseling.com/12-warning-signs-person-influence-jezebel-spirit/
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jezebel-spirit.html
https://www.curtlandry.com/40-signs-you-are-being-destroyed-by-jezebel-and-a-religious-spirit/
http://www.biblewaymag.com/what-are-the-characteristics-of-the-jezebel-spirit/

Short answer:  There is a great spiritual war being waged on earth, between the forces of God and the forces of Satan.  The Jezebel Spirit is one of Satan's generals in this war. 

I am not shitting you.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed.  I was hoping this was just a muddled metaphor for a more succinct criticism of modern society, because I believe there are many such criticisms worth discussing in relation to our electoral system, and the Trump administration, and the current cultural zeitgeist.  But, alas, no. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:58:18 PM by sol »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #465 on: December 31, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »
Hold the phone! 

Google has answered all of my questions.  The Jezebel Spirit is a widely established theory in some dark corners of the internet.

There is SO much to learn!

https://www.bible-knowledge.com/the-jezebel-spirit-and-how-it-operates/
https://aandbcounseling.com/12-warning-signs-person-influence-jezebel-spirit/
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jezebel-spirit.html
https://www.curtlandry.com/40-signs-you-are-being-destroyed-by-jezebel-and-a-religious-spirit/
http://www.biblewaymag.com/what-are-the-characteristics-of-the-jezebel-spirit/

Short answer:  There is a great spiritual war being waged on earth, between the forces of God and the forces of Satan.  The Jezebel Spirit is one of Satan's generals in this war. 

I am not shitting you.

This reminds me of scientology. Once I was explaining their foundational beliefs to a couple of coworkers (back in the dark ages when it wasn't easy to just wikipedia for it), and they could not believe it.  They were sure I was making it up.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #466 on: December 31, 2017, 07:12:08 PM »
Re: Trump being a good choice to combat victimization of women.  I could kind of squint and see that if someone was a sincere believer in spirits working on earth,  cosmic struggle between god and the devil etc, that  you could decide (via voice of god telling you, answered prayers, random feels) that Trump, as a confessed and accused sexual assaulter, would by his visibility force the issue (Satan?) into the open where society (God?) could finally deal openly with it.  So in that case Trump, however evil his own actions, would be acting in a greater than earthly capacity, and because deities' reasons are always obscure, it would be ok for Trump himself to face no earthly consequence for his own actions because he would be judged at his death. Him being a crap person and generally incompetent at his job would be of less importance than his use as a divine instrument. 

I'm not implying that's what Wise Virgin was saying or believing, only that I can create a tortuous logic of that sort, if I were to believe in supernatural entities or events.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #467 on: December 31, 2017, 07:48:27 PM »
I'm assuming that Hillary is a Jezebel spirit and, thus, the vote for Trump.

Of course, Trump meets almost all of the tests as well (a Jezebel spirit doesn't always have to be in a woman!).

I suspect that any strong, non-religious, woman meets the tests. 1st Timothy 2:11-12 and all.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: December 31, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
Frankly I'm a little disappointed.  I was hoping this was just a muddled metaphor for a more succinct criticism of modern society, because I believe there are many such criticisms worth discussing in relation to our electoral system, and the Trump administration, and the current cultural zeitgeist.  But, alas, no.

Are you kidding? It's way fascinating. This is what...20%? of the nation believes. As in, truly believes. God talks to them when they pray.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: December 31, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »
I think it's important to point out that Hillary Clinton is a practicing Methodist and a life-long Christian. Donald Trump is an unrepentant adulterer and philanderer who gleefully brags about cheating people out of money. He is prideful, violent, lustful, avaricious, wrathful, and slothful (hence the constant golfing vacations every weekend.) He does not truly accept Christ as his lord and savior, but pays lip service to Jesus to suck up to some easily fooled evangelicals.

There were quite a few Republican candidates in this past Presidential election cycle who were genuine practicing Christians -- Cruz, Rubio, Bush, etc. Trump was and is not one of them.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: December 31, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
First google result for "Jezebel Spirit":

https://truthinreality.com/2012/09/24/30-consistent-traits-of-the-jezebel-spirit/

1, 2, 5, & 10

Trump meets almost all of the traits but these ones just... I think maybe I'm starting to believe in this Jezebel spirit business?

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #471 on: December 31, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
I'm going to name my next band "Jezebel Spirit".
good song by that name fwiw.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #472 on: December 31, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Can't honestly debate based on facts so you call someone an asshole......so you ignore your own ignorance.

Best of luck to you.

So, have you already picked out which traitors and child molesters you are going to support in the coming elections? Or, are you just going to go with whoever the republicans nominate?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #473 on: January 01, 2018, 07:41:41 AM »
First google result for "Jezebel Spirit":

https://truthinreality.com/2012/09/24/30-consistent-traits-of-the-jezebel-spirit/

1, 2, 5, & 10

Trump meets almost all of the traits but these ones just... I think maybe I'm starting to believe in this Jezebel spirit business?

Wow, no kidding. It’s hard to think of anyone who embodies most of those characteristics better than D.J. Trump.

Looks like Virgin really backed the wrong horse.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #474 on: January 01, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
I've stopped saying 'Merry Christmas' but am still having trouble in my quest to locate women willing to perform destructive sexual magic.  Could you drop me a few hints as to the best practices that I'll need to follow and the most likely places to find 'em?

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #475 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
I honestly find this fetish about saying Merry Christmas utterly mystifying. I work and live in communities that include people of many faiths. Why would I insist on saying Merry Christmas to someone when I know they don’t celebrate it? Did anyone ever stop saying it to people who do celebrate it? I just don’t get the culture of victimhood and martyrdom among broad swaths of the Christian community. To me they come across as a bunch of whiners. And then to throw their lot in with someone who demonstrates no adherence to Christian values whatsoever. Makes me think they haven’t read their favorite book too carefully.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #476 on: January 01, 2018, 08:38:31 AM »
I've stopped saying 'Merry Christmas' but am still having trouble in my quest to locate women willing to perform destructive sexual magic.  Could you drop me a few hints as to the best practices that I'll need to follow and the most likely places to find 'em?

Dude, aren't you married with kids?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: January 01, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
I honestly find this fetish about saying Merry Christmas utterly mystifying. I work and live in communities that include people of many faiths. Why would I insist on saying Merry Christmas to someone when I know they don’t celebrate it? Did anyone ever stop saying it to people who do celebrate it? I just don’t get the culture of victimhood and martyrdom among broad swaths of the Christian community. To me they come across as a bunch of whiners. And then to throw their lot in with someone who demonstrates no adherence to Christian values whatsoever. Makes me think they haven’t read their favorite book too carefully.

Word. The "Put Christ back into Christmas" people need to put on their big girl panties and stop triggering when someone says "Happy Holidays." That includes my parents.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: January 01, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »

Google "bilquis scene american gods video" and there's a Vimeo link (NSFW). She got her man at a bar.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #479 on: January 01, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »

Yep.  My wife said Jezebel spirit induced destructive sex magic performing women who are combated by the power of saying 'Merry Christmas' are totally fair game.

Also allowed - mermaids, fairies (w/wings, not chest hair), nymphs, dryads, naiads, vampires (only old school - no sparkly emo ones), and succubus.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »

Google "bilquis scene american gods video" and there's a Vimeo link (NSFW). She got her man at a bar.

I could not believe the showrunners actually pulled that scene off and made it effective.  When I heard they were making that book into a tv series, I remember wondering how they would ever pull it off. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #481 on: January 01, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »

I read that as saying any man who was married with kids had witnessed destructive sexual magic... LOL.

Getting married and having kids does take its toll on 20-something bachelorhood. Responsibilities et al.

So Bible believers are still going on about how women are dangerous huh? Please join us in 2018.

Half of the human population are not dangerous by default. They are made a little differently and sometimes have a different POV but its likely women who keep us men from reverting to Neanderthals.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:05:43 PM by Just Joe »

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Re: Trump being a good choice to combat victimization of women.  I could kind of squint and see that if someone was a sincere believer in spirits working on earth,  cosmic struggle between god and the devil etc, that  you could decide (via voice of god telling you, answered prayers, random feels) that Trump, as a confessed and accused sexual assaulter, would by his visibility force the issue (Satan?) into the open where society (God?) could finally deal openly with it.  So in that case Trump, however evil his own actions, would be acting in a greater than earthly capacity, and because deities' reasons are always obscure, it would be ok for Trump himself to face no earthly consequence for his own actions because he would be judged at his death. Him being a crap person and generally incompetent at his job would be of less importance than his use as a divine instrument. 

I'm not implying that's what Wise Virgin was saying or believing, only that I can create a tortuous logic of that sort, if I were to believe in supernatural entities or events.

You don't have to squint or believe in spirites.  Trump was a good choice to combat victimization of women.  If Hillary had won, you would have had the entire left, which includes the media and hollywood (which are apparently particularly hellish places for women as far as the developed world), actively ignoring the sexual abuse within their midst because they wouldn't want to negatively impact Hillary, who has consistently viciously attacked both credible victims of sexual assault and rape and also a <22 year old girl/woman that engaged in sexual activities with a much higher ranking superior at work. 

If a normal candidate had been elected, they might not have been as vested in suppressing issues regarding sexual abuse, but they wouldn't have been particularly interested either. 

But with Trump, they thought they could bring him down by attacking him for alleged sexual abuses (although they oddly latched onto him bragging about consensual sexual encounters to do it), and by doing so, they inadvertently weakened the "wall of silence" that was protecting their political allies. 

I'm not sure anybody saw this coming, but it's pretty easy to understand with hindsight that Trump was a better choice for women, particularly those in hollywood, the media, and politics, who wanted to speak out about sexual abuse they had experienced but were convinced (probably correctly) that before the issue got some momentum because of the potential to harm trump, they would have been attacked by the left if they did so.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

You don't have to squint or believe in spirites.  Trump was a good choice to combat victimization of women.  If Hillary had won, you would have had the entire left, which includes the media and hollywood (which are apparently particularly hellish places for women as far as the developed world), actively ignoring the sexual abuse within their midst because they wouldn't want to negatively impact Hillary, who has consistently viciously attacked both credible victims of sexual assault and rape and also a <22 year old girl/woman that engaged in sexual activities with a much higher ranking superior at work. 

If a normal candidate had been elected, they might not have been as vested in suppressing issues regarding sexual abuse, but they wouldn't have been particularly interested either. 

But with Trump, they thought they could bring him down by attacking him for alleged sexual abuses (although they oddly latched onto him bragging about consensual sexual encounters to do it), and by doing so, they inadvertently weakened the "wall of silence" that was protecting their political allies. 

I'm not sure anybody saw this coming, but it's pretty easy to understand with hindsight that Trump was a better choice for women, particularly those in hollywood, the media, and politics, who wanted to speak out about sexual abuse they had experienced but were convinced (probably correctly) that before the issue got some momentum because of the potential to harm trump, they would have been attacked by the left if they did so.

Intentionally walking into the dressing rooms of women while they change and grabbing women by their genitals without asking is consensual? These are the incidents that come to mind when you say he bragged about it, were there others?

Hollywood and media organizations are particularly susceptible to sexual harassment but it's because of the organizational structure, it has nothing to do with left vs. right. And I guess you don't consider Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ailes part of "the media"?

The only point I can partially agree with here is that Trump may have helped bring about the current movement. But of course this isn't based on anything good he's done, only on the fact that our country elected an admitted sexual abuser. That was one more straw on the camels back, nothing more. This sounds like saying James Earl Ray was good for blacks because he advanced the civil rights movement.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
This sounds like saying James Earl Ray was good for blacks because he advanced the civil rights movement.

I heard Pete Rose getting a coaching job was the best thing ever to happen to baseball.  We never would have cracked down on insider gambling if not for him.

And Osama bin Laden is the reason we're winning the war on terror.  And every day I give thanks to Mussolini for putting an end to fascism.  And Lance Armstrong is responsible for cleaning up cycling.

Except NO, all five of these people were held accountable for their crimes when the world got fed up.  We don't credit the perpetrators, we punish them.  Unless they are the US President, then we buy red hats and write internet posts defending their abominable choices as catalysts for positive change?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:11:08 PM by sol »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: January 02, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Wow. I never seen such a back breaking convoluted argument before, that Hillary would be worst than Trump regarding women's issues. Wooo... I think the watershed moment was Harvey Weinstein being exposed. The media who did the expose were the New York Times and the New Yorker ("liberal media"). And of course the many brave women who reported on someone considered "untouchable" and would ruin their careers if outed. He was going down no matter what, but there was a groundswell of more women (and men) reporting abuse from other people, especially in the workplace. The only way I would say that Trump being a good choice, is that his many many actions and words that are so disrespectful of women (he initially even refused to shake Ms. Merkel's hand) was like someone else said, the straw that broke the camel's back.
Regarding Trump. In addition to the Thousands of lawsuits Trump has against him, some including employees, he has been sued by a woman who attests she was raped by him when she was 13. She has now gone into hiding. Ivana also reports domestic violence so bad her hair was ripped out by him. I don't think that was consensual either.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:24:22 PM by partgypsy »

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: January 02, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »

Wow. I never seen such a back breaking convoluted argument before, that Hillary would be worst than Trump regarding women's issues. Wooo... I think the watershed moment was Harvey Weinstein being exposed. The media who did the expose were the New York Times and the New Yorker ("liberal media"). And of course the many brave women who reported on someone considered "untouchable" and would ruin their careers if outed. He was going down no matter what, but there was a groundswell of more women (and men) reporting abuse from other people, especially in the workplace. The only way I would say that Trump being a good choice, is that his many many actions and words that are so disrespectful of women (he initially even refused to shake Ms. Merkel's hand) was like someone else said, the straw that broke the camel's back.
Regarding Trump. In addition to the Thousands of lawsuits Trump has against him, some including employees, he has been sued by a woman who attests she was raped by him when she was 13. She has now gone into hiding. Ivanka also reports domestic violence so bad her hair was ripped out by him. I don't think that was consensual either.
That was Ivana Trump while he was raping her (his wife not his daughter). 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #487 on: January 02, 2018, 06:43:31 PM »
Lance Armstrong is responsible for cleaning up cycling.

He certainly wasn't alone.  Speaking of which, we're about to have Chris Froome to thank for more of the same . . .

:P
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:03:24 PM by GuitarStv »

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #488 on: January 02, 2018, 08:56:15 PM »

The #METOO movement that is at the forefront of the movement to bring the issue of sexual assault and harassment of women out into the open was initiated in 2012.  Yes, that's 2012.  A full 5 years before Trump became President.

If you do a little research about what you are posting about before posting you greatly reduce the likelihood of looking ignorant.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: January 02, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
I changed my party affiliation to Democrat about a decade ago . . . so this whole thread has been ignored until now.

But, I really can't believe no one has noted that the Jezebel spirit is so pervasive that she (it?) actively blogs (about politics and other things):
https://theslot.jezebel.com/

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #490 on: January 03, 2018, 07:15:03 AM »

The #METOO movement that is at the forefront of the movement to bring the issue of sexual assault and harassment of women out into the open was initiated in 2012.  Yes, that's 2012.  A full 5 years before Trump became President.

If you do a little research about what you are posting about before posting you greatly reduce the likelihood of looking ignorant.

How does this rule out Trump's election being the catalyst that brought about the change?

You might as well say it's really the Civil Rights Act in 1964 that was the watershed movement. After all, that's actually what entitles everyone to a non-hostile workplace.

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »

Exactly.  A full five years before Trump became President, but suddenly it became effective w/r/t hollywood, the Media, and politicians after president Trump became president.  Certainly doesn't rule out that it's a coincidence, but you are inadvertently arguing against yourself.  If you say things out loud before you type them, you could greatly reduce the likelihood of looking illogical.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »

Exactly.  A full five years before Trump became President, but suddenly it became effective w/r/t hollywood, the Media, and politicians after president Trump became president.  Certainly doesn't rule out that it's a coincidence, but you are inadvertently arguing against yourself.  If you say things out loud before you type them, you could greatly reduce the likelihood of looking illogical.

I just want you to actually explain how you think Trump brought us to this watershed moment.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #493 on: January 03, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
How does this rule out Trump's election being the catalyst that brought about the change?

You might as well say it's really the Civil Rights Act in 1964 that was the watershed movement. After all, that's actually what entitles everyone to a non-hostile workplace.
Quote from: Jrr85
Jrr85 claimed "If Hillary had won, you would have had the entire left, which includes the media and hollywood (which are apparently particularly hellish places for women as far as the developed world), actively ignoring the sexual abuse within their midst because they wouldn't want to negatively impact Hillary".

The "left", along with many from the middle and the right I'm sure, were actively trying to bring to light the issue a full 5 years before Trump was elected.  They were doing so during the entire period Hillary campaigned both in the primaries and the general election.  They were demonstrably NOT ignoring the sexual abuse.  But lets not let facts get the way of the narrative of MAGA hey?

The fact you two were not aware of the movement to bring to light this issue until Trump started boasting about sexually harassing women says a lot about you both.  The fact you seem to believe it should be the perpetrator of such acts that should be lauded as the catalyst for change says even more.  I imagine you would feel differently about Trump and other such creatures if it were your daughter/wife/sister/mother that was the one being grabbed by the pussy.  I rather doubt you would waxing lyrical about Trump being "a good choice to combat the victimization of women" in that situation.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: January 03, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
As I wrote in my journal, one time in college, two girls infested with the Jezebel spirit tried to use their destructive sexual magic on me at the same time. Luckily, I Forrest Gumped my way out of that situation before they claimed my soul for Satan. Thank God, they didn't get to me. I'd probably have ended up the subject of an article in New York magazine.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
As I wrote in my journal, one time in college, two girls infested with the Jezebel spirit tried to use their destructive sexual magic on me at the same time. Luckily, I Forrest Gumped my way out of that situation before they claimed my soul for Satan. Thank God, they didn't get to me. I'd probably have ended up the subject of an article in New York magazine.

I had this exact same situation in college, only it was two dudes infested with the Jezebel Spirit.  They seemed to get it on just fine without me afterwards.

PKFFW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »
I've searched high and low for a couple of Jezebel spirit infested women for just such an experience of destructive sexual magic, all to no avail. :(

SecondBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #497 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:27 AM »
Dodging the destructive sexual magics of the Jezebel spirit to trigger the libs itt

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #498 on: January 04, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »

Quote from: Jrr85
Jrr85 claimed "If Hillary had won, you would have had the entire left, which includes the media and hollywood (which are apparently particularly hellish places for women as far as the developed world), actively ignoring the sexual abuse within their midst because they wouldn't want to negatively impact Hillary".

The "left", along with many from the middle and the right I'm sure, were actively trying to bring to light the issue a full 5 years before Trump was elected.  They were doing so during the entire period Hillary campaigned both in the primaries and the general election.  They were demonstrably NOT ignoring the sexual abuse.  But lets not let facts get the way of the narrative of MAGA hey?

The fact you two were not aware of the movement to bring to light this issue until Trump started boasting about sexually harassing women says a lot about you both.  The fact you seem to believe it should be the perpetrator of such acts that should be lauded as the catalyst for change says even more.  I imagine you would feel differently about Trump and other such creatures if it were your daughter/wife/sister/mother that was the one being grabbed by the pussy.  I rather doubt you would waxing lyrical about Trump being "a good choice to combat the victimization of women" in that situation.

The Civil Rights Act was trying to stop hostile workplaces a full 40 years before #MeToo. The fact that you are not aware of basic law until #MeToo started says a lot about you.

Really, the idea that Trump getting elected provided a catalyst to make sexual harassment a much bigger issue is NOT far-fetched. I'm not even saying I agree with: I'm saying your dismissal of it out of hand is stupid, and your insistence that everyone who disagrees with you is "ignorant" is intellectual arrogance bordering on the obscene.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: January 04, 2018, 09:41:48 AM »

The Civil Rights Act was trying to stop hostile workplaces a full 40 years before #MeToo. The fact that you are not aware of basic law until #MeToo started says a lot about you.
I don't think anyone has ever said that #MeToo was about changing the existing law.  It's about ensuring that the existing law can be applied the way that was intended but which has not happened to date because of prevailing social attitudes about men, women, sexuality, power and violence.

One of the first lessons any lawyer learns is that there is a gap between the words of the law and the practice of the law.  That gap is biggest where it involves issues of power and powerlessness, as sexual violence does.  The recent scandals about men using their positions of power to perpetrate sexual abuse, which chimes with the #MeToo movement, looks like it might be a significant move towards reducing that gap (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some slippage I'm hoping the baseline has been moved at least a little).