Author Topic: Do you play any sport?  (Read 18254 times)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
Do you play any sport?
« on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »
Do you play any sport regularly? I mean something which requires more than one person so weightlifting and cycling already discussed in another thread don't count.

I play badminton 1-2 per week with some work colleagues except in summer when we switch to beach volleyball. I really love that sport, it doesn't do much for ones strength but is a great cardiovascular training. More importantly it entertains my competitive nature :)

grmagne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Do you play any sport?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 06:32:13 AM »
I play ice hockey on Wednesday nights and volleyball on Thursday nights. The rest of the week I keep in shape by doing light cardio but I definitely could be in better shape if I pushed myself harder.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:54 AM »
Ice hockey.  I hadn't realized, until I took this up, how much I missed playing a team sport.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 07:48:35 AM »
Roller Derby! Practices are 2 hrs, 3x / week. However we are in the off season right now so I'm being lazy :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
Hey dorkus619--any news on your bike trailer for schlepping your derby gear back and forth?

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Not anymore.  Over time I've come to realize that I don't get along well enough with other people (in general) to make team sports workable.  :-)

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Basketball!

Lots of short sprints; some skill required, but if not, you can still excel with hustle; fun by yourself or with teammates.

Play indoor or outdoor, any time of the year.

Mustachian benefits: The only personal equipment required are a ball and shoes (which can be multi-purpose). The courts are not maintenance-intensive.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
I'm pretty good with any racket sport. My favorite is badminton. During and after high school I did play competitively (mens singles).

Still maintain a membership at a local badminton club. If work isn't taking over my life, then I try and play 2 or 3 times a week.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
volleyball.  Alas, although I still play, it's become all swoop and no launch for me.  Good thing it's mostly a skill sport and I'm still wiley.

Frugalteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:58:15 AM »
Ultimate Frisbee. It's a great cardio workout, and all you need is a $10 frisbee and a field so I like to think it's a pretty mustachian sport.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Hey dorkus619--any news on your bike trailer for schlepping your derby gear back and forth?

No. No practice until January. I probably won't ride my bike to practice until later in the spring (better weather & light) and even then maybe only on Sundays (early practice) :( We practice 8-10pm week nights so it's gonna be dark/late on the ride home and I live in a bad area. Maybe I will get brave by then.

By the end of April I will be able to ride home from Sunday practice in daylight. That's a long time away... :/

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
Not anymore.  Over time I've come to realize that I don't get along well enough with other people (in general) to make team sports workable.  :-)

Blahaha! I relate

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
golf

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
Volleyball is my go to sport.  Used to play two times a week in rec leagues.  Now just once a week (when I can) in open play.  Also used to play beach.

Want to learn ice hockey.  I can sort of skate.  Played one season of roller hockey.  Was never very good at skating, so the fact I scored one goal was impressive :)

I used to play softball.  Just don't know of any leagues around me anymore.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
golf

I thought the question was about "sports".

Sorry, just kidding.  I couldn't resist.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
Want to learn ice hockey.  I can sort of skate.  Played one season of roller hockey.  Was never very good at skating, so the fact I scored one goal was impressive :)

Oy, ice hockey and roller hockey are definitely beyond my capabilities these days (and I am a strong skater.)  I don't even like being pushed around in basketball anymore.  Volleyball is definitely all my old joints can handle any more . . . maybe a little tennis, swimming, leisurely downhill skiing.

And I used to laugh at the moaning of the "old" athletes . . . serves me right.

grmagne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Oy, ice hockey and roller hockey are definitely beyond my capabilities these days (and I am a strong skater.) 

Oh, the irony that Zamboni doesn't play ice hockey!

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
golf

I thought the question was about "sports".

Sorry, just kidding.  I couldn't resist.
lol!!! well you're as bad as i am and have to tromp through the woods all the time to find your ball its kind of like hiking!

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
I was a complete jock throughout highschool.  Tennis, Basketball, Volleyball are my main sports... and when we skipped classes it was 9Ball and poker :)

Basketball and Volleyball in Toronto is somewhat affordable... but Tennis in the winters is outrageous.  $20-40/hr court fees... ridiculous when you think a decent 2set match takes about 1.5hrs to finish at a decent pace.  I try to just play once every couple of weeks for tennis in winters.

FrancescoIgnagn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hello i am FrancescoIgnagn from Mississauga,Canada
    • Omega Home Automation And electrical
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 11:41:27 PM »
Game is very important for every one it is not important whatever it is. My favorite game is volleyball and i love this game.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 03:22:55 AM »
Sneaky suspicion this question has been asked before. I certainly remember answering it anyway :D

I've played cricket for almost 20 years. Soccer I did for about 15 before it just got way too serious and all the fun got sucked out it.

In truth I will play anything given the chance.

Agree sleepyguy, tennis is outrageous. I did it for about 6 months at the end of highschool. Had never picked up a racquet in my life but was thrashing the existing cohort within weeks. Couldn't continue cos the family couldn't afford it. No wonder Australia has no top players anymore, it sends everyone broke before they get the chance to be any good.

Free_at_50

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
Table tennis aka ping pong.  Great sport for hand eye coordination as well as cardiovascular if approached as a sport and not a game.  Also just watched a documentary on the senior world championships in China where 8 players over 80 years old were followed thru the tournament.  Very Iinspirational and gives me hope I can participate for another 30 years at least.  :)  Oh and it is fairly mustachian though one can spend quite a bit on a bat if desired.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 04:01:34 AM »
Do you play any sport regularly? I mean something which requires more than one person so weightlifting and cycling already discussed in another thread don't count.
It can be competitive without multiple people doing the same thing at the same place at the same time - is trying to run a four minute mile not a competitive pursuit? Is running marathons not a sport?

I cycle and will be getting back into Ultimate this summer. I'm curious about flag football if I'm still decent at Ultimate (remains to be determined).

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
It can be competitive without multiple people doing the same thing at the same place at the same time - is trying to run a four minute mile not a competitive pursuit? Is running marathons not a sport?

Of course it is, but my question was specifically for "communal" sports (football, basketball, volleyball, hockey, tennis etc.).

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »
I play indoor soccer all year long. In the summer months even when it's warm here in Cincinnati I play indoor. Sometimes I do outdoor when people need a sub, but I like the speed of indoor much more. You can ricochet the ball off the walls and there really isn't an out-of-bounds area. It's a wonderful cardio workout and you don't need as many people as you do outside (6 v 6 instead of 11 v 11). For an 8 game session it's about $50, which is about six bucks a game. I'm sure I could find a sport I don't have to pay for by just finding a field and playing outside, but it's not as fun or organized that way. The friendships and health benefits I get are well worth it to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:13:07 AM by LibrarIan »

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 08:08:43 AM »
I play indoor soccer all year long. In the summer months even when it's warm here in Cincinnati I play indoor. Sometimes I do outdoor when people need a sub, but I like the speed of indoor much more. You can ricochet the ball off the walls and there really isn't an out-of-bounds area. It's a wonderful cardio workout and you don't need as many people as you do outside (6 v 6 instead of 11 v 11). For an 8 game session it's about $50, which is about six bucks a game. I'm sure I could find a sport I don't have to pay for by just finding a field and playing outside, but it's not as fun or organized that way. The friendships and health benefits I get are well worth it to me.
Is that the variant being played on a field such as this one?

I've played football (or soccer for you Americans) from age 5 up to a couple of years ago, as well as futsal (the official as in FIFA-regulated kind of indoor soccer, which is 5v5 and does have an out of bounds area), but nowadays I stick to running three times a week and occasionally cycling.

Running does wonders for my health, both physical and mental, especially on the trails. Looking at some half marathons this year (ran 5 of them last year) and maybe my marathon debut in 2015.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »
Sand volleyball the majority of the Sundays over the summer.  Indoor soccer every other week most of the year.  3-on-3 basketball tournament at a church every May.  I'm 6'4 but I only played soccer in high school, so I'm actually shockingly bad at basketball.

I cycle and will be getting back into Ultimate this summer. I'm curious about flag football if I'm still decent at Ultimate (remains to be determined).

Yea, I think the point was just to find out who plays team sports.  In lots of ways, team sports are more fun, since you play with other people.  They do have to have organization.  For most people, that means spending money.

To basd, since it's in the US, it's most likely just soccer taken inside with walls to stop the ball from going out of bounds.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
Not sure if this exactly counts but I play pool (billiards)- I'm looking for a league right now.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Is that the variant being played on a field such as this one?

I've played football (or soccer for you Americans) from age 5 up to a couple of years ago, as well as futsal (the official as in FIFA-regulated kind of indoor soccer, which is 5v5 and does have an out of bounds area), but nowadays I stick to running three times a week and occasionally cycling.

Running does wonders for my health, both physical and mental, especially on the trails. Looking at some half marathons this year (ran 5 of them last year) and maybe my marathon debut in 2015.

Indeed, that looks similar to the field closest to my apartment. The one I play on is a bit larger though.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
Ah, thanks, that's clear then. German pro football teams play this during the winter break (or at least they used to)..