Do you Bike more on the Sidewalk or on the road

I bike mostly on the Sidewalk
12 (12.8%)
I bike mostly on the Road
46 (48.9%)
I bike only on the road, biking on the sidewalk is Dangerous
36 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Do you Bike more on the Sidewalk or on the road  (Read 6504 times)

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
Do you Bike more on the Sidewalk or on the road
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
I'm curious about what most of us Moustachian's would do.

For me personally, I bike mostly on the sidewalk no matter the weather. 

I've never come close to hitting anyone although sometimes it can be frustrating having to bike around someone onto grass because they can't hear you due to headphones.

I'm going to make a second poll as well asking what type of Bike you use, or if you switch between them as scenario's change.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Do you Bike more on the Sidewalk or on the road
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
On the road, because biking on the sidewalk is dangerous for pedestrians.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »
On the road, because biking on the sidewalk is dangerous for pedestrians.
I suppose it depends on where you live but for me Pedestrians are rare to begin with, I can sometimes bike for over 10 minutes before seeing someone else walking on the sidewalk.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
Missing option: Mostly in the bike path.... which pedestrians walk on anyway.

I do use a section of sidewalk... but I have a 1st grader biking with me (on his own bike) to school. I'm not willing to bike 4 lanes of traffic over from him. Sorry. However, being a major road there's a whopping two side road intersections on it and no driveways. So the danger to me (and him) is pretty minimal. Since there's few to no pedestrians, the risk to them is also minimal, plus we're going 1st grader speed, so usually 8-9 mph.

On the plus side, the cities here have been working to improve non-car infrastructure, so I have some home that we might eventually get the sidewalk upgraded to a nice 8' multi-use path or similar.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
95% of the time, on the road. There are occasions where it makes more sense to ride on the pavement (slowly!), but usually the road is safer.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »
Road, always.  If you don't feel safe riding in the road on a given route, find a parallel route with less traffic.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
95% of the time, on the road. There are occasions where it makes more sense to ride on the pavement (slowly!), but usually the road is safer.

Agreed.

surfhb

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »
Orange County, Ca.....not very bike friendly
We've had 2 people killed just this year on my street who were riding in the bike lane.   Depends on the options but I stay on the sidewalk if its a busy street.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
I ride in the street except where it is safer to be on the sidewalk. Not many pedestrians along my route once I get away from the densest parts of town.

No bike paths here. VERY few pedestrians. Sidewalks are not everywhere.

I have a 1 mile stretch of sidewalk I ride because the road is too dangerous. Never any pedestrians. No buildings along the sidewalks I ride. Not like a city.

Problem with sidewalks is they are uneven, lots of rough seams, and the dips for the car entrances are hard on the wheel true if they are ridden more than ~10-15 mph.

I prefer empty, smooth streets where I can get up some speed and not endanger anyone or be in danger. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:26:40 PM by Just Joe »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
Definitely on the street.  Sidewalk is more dangerous for everyone.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »
By my understanding, sidewalk biking is more dangerous for the biker as well as for pedestrians. Drivers pulling into the road aren't expecting objects at biking speed in that area and won't know to look for you. The safest way to behave as a bicyclist is exactly as everyone else expects.

That said, I rarely use the sidewalk if I need to be on the wrong side of a big road and there's no good place to cross, and if there's good visibility and I can see far enough ahead that there are no pedestrians. Otherwise, if I want to be on the sidewalk, I walk the bike.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:40:54 PM by Tass »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
Road or paths.

Riding on the footpath is not only dangerous for pedestrians, but it's also illegal where I live (unless there's certain circumstances, such as accompanying a child under 12).

If a road has no shoulder or bike lane and has a speed limit of 60km/h or above, I try and avoid it if possible.

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
Always the road or a bike path. Sidewalk are dangerous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
I live in the center core of Denver, and it just kind of depends...

Denver is adding on-street semi protected bike lanes, but these are currently only major north & south routes. When going east / west during rush hours, I choose streets with "double double wide" sidewalks. Additionally, there are some areas where the sidewalks are designated as bikeways.

Just a note... The Denver metro area has an awesome amount of off-street paved bikeways. With the addition of the US 36 bikeway connecting Denver / Sheridan to Boulder, there are over 400 miles of off-street bikeways and multi-use paths available to explore with minimal road riding needed to connect routes. (I strongly recommend thorn proofing measures!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:56:11 AM by EarthSurfer »

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
Road. I don't bike often anymore, but it seems like the majority bike on the sidewalks... I don't mind these people as much as the bicyclists going the wrong way on the road though. Thankfully signs are popping up to tell bicyclists to go WITH traffic.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 01:52:49 AM »
I bike on the sidewalk when I'm with my kids.

We're currently transitioning to biking on the road with them, but only on the quiet streets for now.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
Sidewalk because I live in an idiotic car-obsessed suburb. Actual car speeds (as opposed to limits) are typically in the high 30s to mid 40s (mph) with 4+ lanes.

I did, however, manage to ride through the park on the multi-use path most of the way home from dropping off a rental car. That was exciting.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
I bike on the road almost always, it's illegal to bike on the sidewalk here. The only time I go on the sidewalk is under big overpasses where the road is narrow and visibility is more limited for drivers, I consider that too dangerous as a few cyclists in my city have been killed in that situation. When I was younger I would ride on the sidewalk on busy streets (in a place where smaller roads wasn't an option) and I was hit by a car coming out of a parking lot once. She did run a stop sign, but it doesn't matter when I'm the one who would get hurt, so I don't do that anymore.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
Sidewalk because I live in an idiotic car-obsessed suburb. Actual car speeds (as opposed to limits) are typically in the high 30s to mid 40s (mph) with 4+ lanes.

I did, however, manage to ride through the park on the multi-use path most of the way home from dropping off a rental car. That was exciting.

You're lucky your idiotic car-obsessed suburb even has sidewalks, then. Where I live, a lot of them don't.

MoneyRx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 09:14:53 AM »

Agreed.

Same - I use the sidewalk when I think it is to my advantage or safer. I have a T-intersection on my way home that if the light is red I go up on the sidewalk to go past and then back onto the street right after lol.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
Unless the sidewalk is designated a bike path, it is illegal for adults to bike on the sidewalk in my community.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
As a cyclist, I don't avoid sidewalks for pedestrian safety, I avoid them for MY safety - if you're traveling faster than a slow jog, motorists likely will not notice you barreling down the sidewalk towards the driveway/intersection where your paths cross. If a street is too busy for me to deal with the traffic, I might opt for the sidewalk (at pedestrian speed) but will probably find a side street instead. Occsassionally I will use a sidewalk (at pedestrian speed) to travel against traffice, avoid an obstacle in the roadway, or avoid a traffic control at the top of a T intersection. Fortunately for me, my city has recently removed all sidewalk riding bans where the prohibition is not explicitly posted (and now requires that there be a "low stress" bikeway available before they can post the signs).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
I walk my bike on the sidewalk, and ride it on the road.  I find that many bike paths are frustrating to use because of the number of slow moving pedestrians and other obstacles, and tend to ride on them rarely as well.

In my more foolish days I would cycle exclusively on the sidewalk because it felt safer.  It took two accidents with automobiles to correct that mistake.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »

You're lucky your idiotic car-obsessed suburb even has sidewalks, then. Where I live, a lot of them don't.

Touche

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
On all my usual routes it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, and I'm in an area where it's much safer to ride on the road. If I'm using a sidewalk I'll walk my bike.

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »
95% road. Only use sidewalk in areas like underpasses and even then consider myself a "guest" of the pedestrians. When biking with my kids, they usually ride in the road with me about 75% of the time, and the rest of the time they stay on the sidewalk while I ride in the road alongside them. They're still getting used to the rules of the road. Also, I choose routes that make road riding safest rather than the most direct route.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Mostly sidewalk. A lot of my route is double wide sidewalk/bike path with nearly zero pedestrians. I live in the suburbs of Washington DC, the roads are all 4 lanes 30+ mph. and the drivers give no space.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »
Mostly road as that's usually the safer option, but there are some sections where the road is a good way to die, so I bounce over to the sidewalks (and adjust my speed way down) there.  In some areas we have sidewalks that are declared as also being bike paths.

On the legal side, it is illegal here to ride a bike on the sidewalk if the street speed limit is 25 mph or less.  Speed limits of over 25 mph and the sidewalks are fair game, but pedestrians always have right of way and cars will NOT expect you to be zipping along at 20+ mph on a sidewalk, so you MUST (as always) adjust your speed to be reasonable for conditions.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
I ride mostly on the road. Very occasionally will use sidewalks when it makes sense - I am on a sidewalk for all of 30 seconds on my daily bike commute.

For the next week or two, I have to use sidewalks for a couple of blocks due to construction on my usual route and am grumpy about it.

Also still arguing with my teen DS about whether roads or sidewalks are safer. He feels much safer on sidewalks. I feel safer on roads. I am hyper vigilant about cars and driveways when riding on sidewalks.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Kott308

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
I always try to stay on the road. Riding on the sidewalk is illegal in my state. It gets dangerous around pedestrians, especially folks walking dogs.

However, some streets I use to get to my common destinations (gym, library, grocery store) have no shoulder and heavy, fast traffic. So I'll hop up on the sidewalk, if needed.

I was flagged down by a police officer one day while riding on the road. He was working an off-duty gig directing traffic around some road construction. He said to me "I know you're trying to do the right thing, but get up on the sidewalk. People can't drive in this town!" We both had a good laugh.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 07:40:41 AM »
Where I live only children can legally bike on the sidewalk.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:29 AM »
On the legal side, it is illegal here to ride a bike on the sidewalk if the street speed limit is 25 mph or less.  Speed limits of over 25 mph and the sidewalks are fair game, but pedestrians always have right of way and cars will NOT expect you to be zipping along at 20+ mph on a sidewalk, so you MUST (as always) adjust your speed to be reasonable for conditions.
Laws vary by state/locality. Some localities ban all sidewalk riding by adults (most permit kids - small kids bikes are even called 'sidewalk' bikes in regulations).

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »

I just came from the frugal two-k thread, so my eye is slightly attuned to language differences, but around here you just said "There are occasions where it makes more sense to ride on the road (slowly!), but usually the road is safer."

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »

I just came from the frugal two-k thread, so my eye is slightly attuned to language differences, but around here you just said "There are occasions where it makes more sense to ride on the road (slowly!), but usually the road is safer."
I was involved in a youth group a couple of years ago where someone was putting on a mock trial. The case involved a collision between a car and bike. The cyclist was riding on the 'pavement' and the motorist was driving on the right side of the road. I think we were all confused at why these facts were points of significant discussion until we realized that the materials were designed for a UK audience.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »
I realized the other day that sidewalk means alot of different things to people. That might shape this discussion.

There is the big city version: road > sidewalk > building entrances all butted up to each other.

Then there is the small town version where a tiny bit of the city is laid out like that but the majority of the town is laid out:

road > grass strip? > parking lot > store.

In these parts of town (my town) nobody walks on the sidewalks b/c of the distances involved. The sidewalks are incomplete as well. Why not ride the sidewalks?

The problem with the cars pulling out - I think bicyclists (and motorcyclists) ought to assume themselves to be invisible to other drivers. You'll live longer that way. They'll see (or not see) your blinky lights whether you are on the sidewalk or the street. Of course if you ride on the sidewalk assumptions about your speed will likely be wrong. I can't go fast on sidewalks anyhow b/c of the irregular cement joints and the driveway aprons.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
Another option, the dirt path.

Gosh, I love where I live.  I can ride a protected path, or a dirt trail or some side streets that see very little traffic at all.  I saw a fox on the way the other day, and about 2 cars.  Once I descend the hill to my work, there are cars all over, but the commute is bliss.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Biking on a regular sidewalk is only acceptable for children.

ETA:  If you are an adult and the road is too dangerous get off and walk your bike if you cannot find an alternative route.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:20:39 PM by neverrun »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Well then I'll need to walk about 4 miles...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
In these parts of town (my town) nobody walks on the sidewalks b/c of the distances involved. The sidewalks are incomplete as well. Why not ride the sidewalks?

The problem with the cars pulling out - I think bicyclists (and motorcyclists) ought to assume themselves to be invisible to other drivers. You'll live longer that way. They'll see (or not see) your blinky lights whether you are on the sidewalk or the street. Of course if you ride on the sidewalk assumptions about your speed will likely be wrong. I can't go fast on sidewalks anyhow b/c of the irregular cement joints and the driveway aprons.

Cars pulling out are half of the danger, and the easy part to avoid (you can see them ahead).  Cars pulling in are the other half, and are more difficult to avoid.

Often an automobile will choose to enter a parking lot from a main road without signalling or much advance warning.  If you're travelling much faster than walking, the odds are that the vehicle won't see you further up the sidewalk because the driver won't be looking.  This is very difficult to see coming while cycling on a sidewalk.

The most dangerous type of scenario though . . . If you're cycling on the sidewalk going the direction of traffic, people driving the same way as you and turning right will be invisible to you.  (If cycling on the opposite sidewalk to traffic then left hand turns will have the same problem.)  When this happens you will have very little to no notice before the car hits you, so you must depend on the driver expecting a cyclist there.  That's not a good bet to make.  The accidents that I had while sidewalk cycling happened in these scenarios.

Making the bet that cars will see your blinky lights while you're on a sidewalk is not a good one to make either.  A driver's attention (should be) largely on the road in front of him or her.  A small flashing light off on a sidewalk somewhere is very likely to be ignored.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 07:33:01 AM »
Well then I'll need to walk about 4 miles...

Is it legal to bike on the sidewalk where you live?  If it is, ignore the rest of the post.

If it isn't, and it is too dangerous to bike on the road; it sounds like you can't bike to wherever you are trying to bike to.
Just biking on the sidewalk isn't an option.  Biking on sidewalks can be dangerous if the "it's illegal" isn't enough of a deterant.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Is it legal to bike on the sidewalk where you live?  If it is, ignore the rest of the post.

If it isn't, and it is too dangerous to bike on the road; it sounds like you can't bike to wherever you are trying to bike to.
Just biking on the sidewalk isn't an option.  Biking on sidewalks can be dangerous if the "it's illegal" isn't enough of a deterant.
Legal prohibitions to sidewalk cycling has never stopped me (fortunately for me the prohibitions were lifted before I ever was caught). The safety factor is why I usually avoid sidewalks. I believe the primary means to avoid risks while riding on a sidewalk is keeping speed down. I'd love a rolling sidewalk speed limit of 5-7.5 mph (have it apply to anything rolling on a sidewalk - not just bikes).

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
I've never come close to hitting anyone although sometimes it can be frustrating having to bike around someone onto grass because they can't hear you due to headphones.

It's frustrating to go around people using the sidewalk in the way it's intended so that you can use it in a way it's not intended? *eyeroll*

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
Depends on whether there are any people on said sidewalk.

I live in flyover country. There are not state laws here prohibiting riding on the sidewalk unless you are on an ebike which I am. Technically I have to switch off the motor which I don't but then since there is *nobody* on the sidewalk b/c nobody walks where I ride I'm not worrying about it...

Not many people walk here. No wonder we are on the unhealthy survey lists.

Like Robartsd says - I keep my speed down on the sidewalks. Maybe not as slow as RobartSD does but maybe 10 mph. Rough cement dictates a lower speed anyhow.

The big metro areas in our state have prohibitions against riding on the sidewalks in business districts. Our small town has a business district but it amounts to one road I cross.

LadyDividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Lady Dividend
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Where I live in Toronto, you bike on the roads. However as you get into the suburbs, there are no bike lanes, cars drive quite fast and don't take care for bikes. As no one is walking on the sidewalks in the burbs, I have spoken with friends and we all agree that we would bike on the sidewalk for safety.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 02:58:17 PM »
Where I live in Toronto, you bike on the roads. However as you get into the suburbs, there are no bike lanes, cars drive quite fast and don't take care for bikes. As no one is walking on the sidewalks in the burbs, I have spoken with friends and we all agree that we would bike on the sidewalk for safety.

I live pretty far from the Toronto city center.  It's a 5 minute bike ride to Markham or 10 to Pickering from my front door, and takes me 40-45 minutes to bike to work mid-town . . . something I've been doing for around five years now.

It might not seem like it from your car, but there are a lot of people who walk on sidewalks in the suburbs.  (I'm one of them.)  While I'll agree that bike lanes are very spotty in the 'burbs, I can't agree at all that it's safer on the sidewalk.  (Route choice is very important too . . . most of the fast/busy streets that are scary to bike on can be bypassed by slower moving side streets without significant  I honestly believe that you and your friends are responding to fear of cars rather than actual stats related to accidents.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
http://time.com/5004694/bicycle-path-terrorist/?xid=homepage

That is the one amenity that my small town doesn't offer that I wish it had.

Something for the bicyclists. Ain't gonna happen in this part of the country anytime soon.

Something more than painted lines on the road.

Something separate from the sidewalks which are incomplete anyhow.

Plenty of hills here that slow everyone but the most athletic riders on featherweight bicycles.

Climbing hills at walking speeds while cars zoom by at 35 mph is scary.  It motivated me to build an ebike which for me fixes that problem.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!