Author Topic: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis  (Read 17945 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
Re: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2019, 05:16:16 AM »
Hey JojoGuy,

Sorry about your current situation. In 2012 I had an employer insist I get tested, and it turned out I had trauma-induced ADD, which is apparently becoming common among veterans.

It was fairly disheartening, but I'm living my life.

While I don't have that job anymore (for u9nrelated reasons), my income is about 2x what it was 7 years ago, and we are doing alright.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
Alright a huge update:

I was prescribed a month ago Generic Adderall 30mg for twice a day. Honestly, this is the best I have ever felt day to day in a long time or ever! The depression is GONE. I only feel depressed if there is something immediate or if something bothers me in general. I have virtually no chronic depression. I weaned off of Welbutrin because of that to test it out. Yep, it is gone. I`m in a constant positive and good mood. I am also surprised how much I enjoy 1 on 1 therapy.

I am concerned about my early teenage son though. I can tell father like son in him. He has a few problems that I always had. He also is somewhat of a hypochondriac. I would like to get him diagnosed, but I really don`t want to get him on any type of medication yet because of his age and growing brain. His possible mood disorder hasn`t done much to interfere with most of his life either with the exception of worrying about things a little too much. His grades are good/great as well. I am interested in getting him into therapy though.

That is really great to hear! 

Your son is blessed to have you as a good example of a parent who is not embarrassed to seek help, and who encourages him to take help when available. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »
Alright a huge update:

I was prescribed a month ago Generic Adderall 30mg for twice a day. Honestly, this is the best I have ever felt day to day in a long time or ever! The depression is GONE. I only feel depressed if there is something immediate or if something bothers me in general. I have virtually no chronic depression. I weaned off of Welbutrin because of that to test it out. Yep, it is gone. I`m in a constant positive and good mood. I am also surprised how much I enjoy 1 on 1 therapy.

I am concerned about my early teenage son though. I can tell father like son in him. He has a few problems that I always had. He also is somewhat of a hypochondriac. I would like to get him diagnosed, but I really don`t want to get him on any type of medication yet because of his age and growing brain. His possible mood disorder hasn`t done much to interfere with most of his life either with the exception of worrying about things a little too much. His grades are good/great as well. I am interested in getting him into therapy though.

That is really great to hear! 

Your son is blessed to have you as a good example of a parent who is not embarrassed to seek help, and who encourages him to take help when available.
+1. Great news! And also good that you are looking out for, and setting an example for your son.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
What a fantastic update! Thank you for sharing. I wish you a continued happy state of mind.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
Glad to hear your good news.  Congats!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
Thank you for your awesome update!

A note on kids and therapy - if you do decide to go that route, you might not notice it helping at first. But I've heard anecdotally from several people (including professionals) that it will often seem like younger teens are not getting anything from it, only to put the skills they learn to use as they get through high school, college, and young adult hood. It is great to equip them with tools to handle it when they are young apparently :)

You, also sound like a great parent.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing the good news.  I'm very happy that you and your doctor found the solution!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
We took suggestions from this discussions and those from a local friend and have taken Kiddo #2 to therapy for the first time recently.

We'll be trying a second therapist at the same practice as the first wasn't a good fit.

Kiddo#2 has some anxiety and mild depression issues to sort out. Not sure what is the typical teenager brain and what is a real problem that needs to be sorted.

Just as these problems became evident earlier this year we went through a bunch of changes at home (address, different school) and we really worried alot about them.

I think it'll all be okay.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
We took suggestions from this discussions and those from a local friend and have taken Kiddo #2 to therapy for the first time recently.

We'll be trying a second therapist at the same practice as the first wasn't a good fit.

Kiddo#2 has some anxiety and mild depression issues to sort out. Not sure what is the typical teenager brain and what is a real problem that needs to be sorted.

Just as these problems became evident earlier this year we went through a bunch of changes at home (address, different school) and we really worried alot about them.

It should be.

Just be weary of anti-depressants for your child. I have an update why. When I was on anti-dep drugs it just made me feel odd, uncaring, and still depressed or even worse. However, Adderall being a stimulant has had the opposite effect. Not only did it give me focus, but honestly, it "cured" my anxiety and depression. I do still get mad or even sad, but it is based on the actual situations and not a chronic thing. It didn`t change my personality either as a whole. The only noticeable thing that changed about me is now people look at me as being optimistic and upbeat all the time now. It is because now I am actually in a good mood most of the time.

I have felt sad the past couple of weeks about something specific. There was a disgruntled employee, who was justifiably fired, that shot and killed two people at another store that I am associated with. Didn`t really know the people involved, but this same thing could have happened where I work. This actually did make national news, but it was quickly overshadowed by the murders in El Paso and Dayton.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »
Oh my goodness, that is terrifying. I'm so glad you are safe.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your work incident, @jojoguy Sounds terrifying.

I also want to thank you for sharing your experience here. You've given me the kick that I need to actually DO something about my own mental health. I definitely have seasonal depression, and I've been suspecting inattentive ADD for a year or two now. I've had the phone number for the psychology group sitting on a post-it next to my phone ever since my primary care doctor referred me there last fall (unfortunately, I don't think I'll be seeing a psychiatrist--my area has very, very few). Today, after scrolling through this thread, I finally made the call to set up an appointment.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about your work incident, @jojoguy Sounds terrifying.

I also want to thank you for sharing your experience here. You've given me the kick that I need to actually DO something about my own mental health. I definitely have seasonal depression, and I've been suspecting inattentive ADD for a year or two now. I've had the phone number for the psychology group sitting on a post-it next to my phone ever since my primary care doctor referred me there last fall (unfortunately, I don't think I'll be seeing a psychiatrist--my area has very, very few). Today, after scrolling through this thread, I finally made the call to set up an appointment.
The disgruntled employee incident is scary and disturbing.

Congrats on taking the steps to make a appointment. Do be willing to change providers if the first is not a good fit (and great if they are),

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
Just want to check in on @ThatGuy . How you doing, buddy?

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »
My appointment date finally arrived.  We talked for a bit but unfortunately this is a multi step process so we'll see how it goes.  I've changed medication (per his suggestion) and oddly enough I don't have much desire to get on my computer now which is why I haven't been on these forums much the last couple of weeks. lol  I have a bit of a dilemma.  I deliver mail, my new doctor lives on my route!  I'm not sure if I should tell him about this or not.  I probably will tell him and see what he thinks of the situation.  My second appointment is in a few weeks.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »

It should be.

Just be weary of anti-depressants for your child. I have an update why. When I was on anti-dep drugs it just made me feel odd, uncaring, and still depressed or even worse. However, Adderall being a stimulant has had the opposite effect. Not only did it give me focus, but honestly, it "cured" my anxiety and depression. I do still get mad or even sad, but it is based on the actual situations and not a chronic thing. It didn`t change my personality either as a whole. The only noticeable thing that changed about me is now people look at me as being optimistic and upbeat all the time now. It is because now I am actually in a good mood most of the time.

I have felt sad the past couple of weeks about something specific. There was a disgruntled employee, who was justifiably fired, that shot and killed two people at another store that I am associated with. Didn`t really know the people involved, but this same thing could have happened where I work. This actually did make national news, but it was quickly overshadowed by the murders in El Paso and Dayton.

Thank you. We will exhaust our other options before we consider medications.

We've made some changes on the home-front with home schooling which removes a big part of our child's anxiety triggers. Second counselor was super and we're waiting for the next calendar opportunity for our child to meet with her. Child has decorated their room and is making it feel more like their home. Still topics to work through though. Didn't mean to derail the thread. Thank you for the OP's discussion.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2019, 03:18:18 AM »
The stories and updates are inspiring to read. Thank you all for sharing. I'm considering making an appointment to my PCP. I can't say I know what's going on, but I guess thats what the professionals are for.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
My appointment date finally arrived.  We talked for a bit but unfortunately this is a multi step process so we'll see how it goes.  I've changed medication (per his suggestion) and oddly enough I don't have much desire to get on my computer now which is why I haven't been on these forums much the last couple of weeks. lol  I have a bit of a dilemma.  I deliver mail, my new doctor lives on my route!  I'm not sure if I should tell him about this or not.  I probably will tell him and see what he thinks of the situation.  My second appointment is in a few weeks.

Progress is good!  Yes, I haven't been on the internet much this month either. It's healthier to live in real life.

You may as well tell the doctor that you're his mailman. It will be fine. 

I'm so glad that you have been taking these steps for yourself, and I hope that they lead to positive change. Please keep us posted!

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
Popping in because I'm curious how ADHD and FIRE mix. I was just diagnosed, and I feel like a truck of obvious just hit me.

I was initially diagnosed with anxiety and episodic depression. It took years, feeling like the odd one out in anxiety-group-therapy, never feeling like my therapist *really* understood, and my own continuous feeling of "Something just doesn't add up" before a friend mentioned ADHD. (Heck, I'd read *half* a book on Organization for ADHD and kept thinking "These strategies are so great! These aren't just for people with ADHD, they're so useful!" over a year ago and did not connect the dots.)

It's clear to me now that the anxiety and depression were consequences of the ADHD, at least for me. The Reddit subforum for ADHD has been eye opening for how much the ADHD affects my life.

Anyway, outside of the generally unhelpful medical system, it seems like those of us who'd like to FIRE with ADHD may have some particular struggles. I am on a part-time path to regular-aged retirement instead of FIRE because of the difficulties I have with both full time work and not-working-at-all (I do well with a moderate amount of outside structure). MMM/FIRE has allowed me to "design my life" so it's not as stressful even before I knew I had ADHD, but I was left with a nagging feeling that it was impossible to "design my life" in a way where I'd actually feel happy. I don't know if treatment is going to help, still working on dosage with the doc, and I need to find a therapist who actually knows anything about ADHD.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »
An update about my situation. I suddenly started to develop side-effects to Adderall. They got really bad in a hurry. Anxiety went through the roof, my mouth and tongue started to hurt through dryness, and I developed a horrible nervous tic of clenching my teeth uncontrollably(even while I slept). I read up on it and this does seem to happen with people over a long duration of some meds. I contacted the doctor and got switched over to Ritalin XR. So far things have been better. I don`t feel the jolt that Adderall gave(which wasn`t really bad in itself), and I only have to take one a day. I actually feel much calmer and more natural feeling. I won`t lie though, I still have some anxiety at work. However, it is not as bad, and I`m not experiencing the side-effects from before. Thankfully, there are so many different things out there if things don`t work out with the other medicine.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
Popping in because I'm curious how ADHD and FIRE mix. I was just diagnosed, and I feel like a truck of obvious just hit me.

I was initially diagnosed with anxiety and episodic depression. It took years, feeling like the odd one out in anxiety-group-therapy, never feeling like my therapist *really* understood, and my own continuous feeling of "Something just doesn't add up" before a friend mentioned ADHD. (Heck, I'd read *half* a book on Organization for ADHD and kept thinking "These strategies are so great! These aren't just for people with ADHD, they're so useful!" over a year ago and did not connect the dots.)

It's clear to me now that the anxiety and depression were consequences of the ADHD, at least for me. The Reddit subforum for ADHD has been eye opening for how much the ADHD affects my life.

Anyway, outside of the generally unhelpful medical system, it seems like those of us who'd like to FIRE with ADHD may have some particular struggles. I am on a part-time path to regular-aged retirement instead of FIRE because of the difficulties I have with both full time work and not-working-at-all (I do well with a moderate amount of outside structure). MMM/FIRE has allowed me to "design my life" so it's not as stressful even before I knew I had ADHD, but I was left with a nagging feeling that it was impossible to "design my life" in a way where I'd actually feel happy. I don't know if treatment is going to help, still working on dosage with the doc, and I need to find a therapist who actually knows anything about ADHD.

I must make a comment on our situation. In a way ADHD has helped contribute to my concentration on FIRE. We have a superpower in a way. Even though we have a hard time concentrating, the things we do take interest in become hyper-concentration!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »

I must make a comment on our situation. In a way ADHD has helped contribute to my concentration on FIRE. We have a superpower in a way. Even though we have a hard time concentrating, the things we do take interest in become hyper-concentration!

Honestly to me ADHD doesn't seem like attention DEFICIT so much as attention UNCONTROLLABILITY.  Attention is like a butterfly that floats from place to place according to whatever it wants to do.  People think of ADHD people's attention as flying around in circles like a butterfly, but like butterflies it can also land on one leaf and stay there for hours.  When it does it is kind of like a superpower in being able to tenaciously work on something with singular focus. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »
An update about my situation. I suddenly started to develop side-effects to Adderall. They got really bad in a hurry. Anxiety went through the roof, my mouth and tongue started to hurt through dryness, and I developed a horrible nervous tic of clenching my teeth uncontrollably(even while I slept). I read up on it and this does seem to happen with people over a long duration of some meds. I contacted the doctor and got switched over to Ritalin XR. So far things have been better. I don`t feel the jolt that Adderall gave(which wasn`t really bad in itself), and I only have to take one a day. I actually feel much calmer and more natural feeling. I won`t lie though, I still have some anxiety at work. However, it is not as bad, and I`m not experiencing the side-effects from before. Thankfully, there are so many different things out there if things don`t work out with the other medicine.

I'm glad to hear you're working through it.  It's definitely a process. 

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »

Attention is like a butterfly that floats from place to place according to whatever it wants to do.  People think of ADHD people's attention as flying around in circles like a butterfly, but like butterflies it can also land on one leaf and stay there for hours.  When it does it is kind of like a superpower in being able to tenaciously work on something with singular focus.

One thing that I really hate is when I lose interest in something that I focused so much attention on before. It usually happens through discouragement.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2019, 06:15:19 PM »
One thing that I really hate is when I lose interest in something that I focused so much attention on before. It usually happens through discouragement.

Oh yeah! There have, obviously, been MONTHS where I've been fascinated by finance, often when I get a new job or new apartment and there are fun numbers to play with. There are also months where I forget what day my credit card bill is due.

I set up my 403b/457 contributions *just the way I wanted them* last year and they got reset because of a reclassification of my job (same job!) and now I can't be bothered to fix it because 1. the fun challenge was in figuring it all out in the first place and 2. I don't want to re-do all that hard work! I knew I'd forget, so I even made a mini-guide for myself, and I still haven't hyped myself up to do it.

I guess all that is pretty typical, but it's really frustrating to be the "money person" who seems to suddenly and randomly forget a lot of things about money.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
My anxiety is giving me some problems at work lately, and I am getting dry mouth and tingly lips from my medication. I haven`t been feeling well over the last week or so because of the anxiety mostly.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
Anxiety is definitely something that has to be balanced against the benefits. 

I think for me, though, some of the anxiety is the medication amplifying years of always worrying about forgetting something important.  It's really hard to let that go.  If you think that's you, too, you might bring it up to the therapist.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2019, 04:14:56 AM »
Anxiety is definitely something that has to be balanced against the benefits. 

I think for me, though, some of the anxiety is the medication amplifying years of always worrying about forgetting something important.  It's really hard to let that go.  If you think that's you, too, you might bring it up to the therapist.

I absolutely will. Thank you.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »
jojoguy, thanks for sharing your updates here. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling increased anxiety.

On my progress, I got set up with a therapist. She was great for talking through strategies for dealing with seasonal depression, and I have a toolkit and am actually feeling great in that regard. Treating exercise like a health requirement is a HUGE help for me. I have yet to feel depressed at all this season, though I know the longer stretch of winter is coming. Unfortunately, she wouldn't really talk about ADD, just noted that diagnosis is outside of her expertise. She recommended the only practice in town that could do ADD evaluation, and they wouldn't take me (just working with veterans at the moment).

So I'm still in limbo, but all of these issues you all mention resonate really strongly with me. Intense interest and focus for a short period of time, only to abandon it shortly after.... It's frustrating.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2021, 02:22:53 AM »
jojoguy, thanks for sharing your updates here. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling increased anxiety.

On my progress, I got set up with a therapist. She was great for talking through strategies for dealing with seasonal depression, and I have a toolkit and am actually feeling great in that regard. Treating exercise like a health requirement is a HUGE help for me. I have yet to feel depressed at all this season, though I know the longer stretch of winter is coming. Unfortunately, she wouldn't really talk about ADD, just noted that diagnosis is outside of her expertise. She recommended the only practice in town that could do ADD evaluation, and they wouldn't take me (just working with veterans at the moment).

So I'm still in limbo, but all of these issues you all mention resonate really strongly with me. Intense interest and focus for a short period of time, only to abandon it shortly after.... It's frustrating.

I think this is worth bumping. Especially, when I read that last sentence because it isn`t just losing interest in things previously I was obssessed in. One of my big problems is through getting distracted even through simple planning implementation. I believe I have found some interesting strategies on building wealth or side hustles, but me being me, I get really distracted when I need to focus on doing said things. I really believe that I could FIRE right now and focus on building income streams if I could only actually doing them. Most of this is based on discovering some great ideas earlier this year, but I keep putting those strategies off because of distractions. Some of those distractions feel purposeful through my subconciousness. I have been finding that through hindsight of things that I was initially excited for, but I would always put it off because I always find even simple things to feel complex to get started when I know that they really are not complicated. For example: I put something on the back burner a few months ago that would have cost me maybe $15k to buy in. I wasn`t affraid to do it, but I get these roadblocks in my mind. If I would have done it without hesitation, it would be sitting at a $150K+ return on my investment today almost passively and still growing passively. I have a few other things on my mind as I type this that I keep procrastinating about and it is soooo frustrating to have a hard time pulling the trigger on. It is really weird that people like myself can have an ability to see things so simple to work but to just get the ball rolling is like going in for surgery. I tend to brainstorm quite a bit when it comes to strategies to minimize the risks involved. To actually get moving though is extremely hard. I think that I am about to start going to weekly therapy instead of just meds. I don`t do prozac or adderall anymore. I moved on to Modafinil(which I highly recommend because of how safe it is). It helps me a lot with thinking and focusing in thought, but nothing has helped with my procrastination and nothing exhausts me more than procrastinating.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2021, 08:24:15 AM »
If you have ADHD, you have years of associating breaking down projects and then taking care of all the little details as being pretty painful.  Then if you're used to procrastinating, you probably associate it with being under intense pressure, too.  You may be procrastinating those associations more than the work itself.  If that's you, I don't know how to get past it, but the first step at least is recognizing where it's coming from.