Author Topic: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis  (Read 17940 times)

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
Re: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »
What made you feel like you might get a misdiagnosis?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
Update:
The psychological testing although fun, really felt like a waste of time. I feel like everything went well, but I worry about misdiagnosis coming out from it. I felt confident during the testing, unlike how I am in real-life situations.

I have to go back in two weeks for results and then get back to a psychiatrist for whatever treatment offered. I really want to get started with treatment soon. I fell into deep depression yesterday, and I am tired of going through that.

Honestly all of your worry about diagnosis and treatment sounds like it's caused by the disease itself. 

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2019, 04:35:00 AM »

The testing felt easy and I feel I did extremely well. Well, outside of the math anyway. It felt more like an intellectual test more than anything.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2019, 04:36:05 AM »
Update:
The psychological testing although fun, really felt like a waste of time. I feel like everything went well, but I worry about misdiagnosis coming out from it. I felt confident during the testing, unlike how I am in real-life situations.

I have to go back in two weeks for results and then get back to a psychiatrist for whatever treatment offered. I really want to get started with treatment soon. I fell into deep depression yesterday, and I am tired of going through that.

Honestly all of your worry about diagnosis and treatment sounds like it's caused by the disease itself.
You may be right.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2019, 06:12:58 AM »

The testing felt easy and I feel I did extremely well. Well, outside of the math anyway. It felt more like an intellectual test more than anything.

If you got a full neuropsych eval it is possible that an IQ test was part of it.

There are some really interesting ways in which our types of intelligence may factor into anxiety (and I would guess depression too). In general, higher IQs correlate with more anxiety. The theory is that worry and intelligence are sort of an evolutionary pairing.

Specifically, if there are large gaps in your IQ subscores, and especially gaps between audio or visual memory/processing speeds and fluid reasoning it can actually manifest in anxiety.

It can be very helpful to know if you have large gaps in your scores. Just as an example, my older son (7) has a large point different between his highest scores and his lowest score. His lowest score is actually related to audio memory, and he tends to panic when given verbal instructions too quickly. Now that we know we slow down instructions/requests or sometimes even just give him written reminders.

NueroPsych testing shouldn't necessarily be taken as gospel (especially if you feel in your gut that it is wrong), but it can also give you some pretty good insight into yourself and how you process things.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »

I mean, it's not the SAT or anything. They're testing for a lot more than raw intelligence and they're not looking at academic skills at all.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

If you got a full neuropsych eval it is possible that an IQ test was part of it.

There are some really interesting ways in which our types of intelligence may factor into anxiety (and I would guess depression too). In general, higher IQs correlate with more anxiety. The theory is that worry and intelligence are sort of an evolutionary pairing.

Specifically, if there are large gaps in your IQ subscores, and especially gaps between audio or visual memory/processing speeds and fluid reasoning it can actually manifest in anxiety.

It can be very helpful to know if you have large gaps in your scores. Just as an example, my older son (7) has a large point different between his highest scores and his lowest score. His lowest score is actually related to audio memory, and he tends to panic when given verbal instructions too quickly. Now that we know we slow down instructions/requests or sometimes even just give him written reminders.

NueroPsych testing shouldn't necessarily be taken as gospel (especially if you feel in your gut that it is wrong), but it can also give you some pretty good insight into yourself and how you process things.

Interesting. I did hear ahead of time that IQ testing was part of it. I never knew that there is a correlation with higher IQ and higher anxiety. I guess that does inflate my ego and puts me down a bit at the same time. LOL

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
Maybe they gave you the easy version to see what you're like when you are feeling good about yourself.  <wink>

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »
Maybe they gave you the easy version to see what you're like when you are feeling good about yourself.  <wink>

Hehehe Maybe. However, I can see a lot of people struggling with a lot of the questions. Math is my weakest point. Especially fractions. Pretty sure I flunked on those. I think I did fine with the word problems asked though.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »

Hehehe Maybe. However, I can see a lot of people struggling with a lot of the questions. Math is my weakest point. Especially fractions. Pretty sure I flunked on those. I think I did fine with the word problems asked though.

Nobody likes a know-it-all anyway, right?

Thumbs up for seeking help.  I struggled with depression (or?) for a few years & probably should have looked for help, but I was too (proud, nervous, or stupid...) to see anybody about it. 

Wouldn't it be great if they prescribe a math class and less social meadia.  ;)

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »

Nobody likes a know-it-all anyway, right?

Thumbs up for seeking help.  I struggled with depression (or?) for a few years & probably should have looked for help, but I was too (proud, nervous, or stupid...) to see anybody about it. 

Wouldn't it be great if they prescribe a math class and less social meadia.  ;)

Oh, how I really loathe the social media drama. I ONLY keep facebook to keep in contact with old friends/family and when I travel to give updates and pictures.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
I stopped taking my welbutrin. I didn't feel that it was working and was actually increasing my anxiety. Three days later and I'm really light-headed and it feels like the flood gates have been opened in regards to my adhd. Simple things feel slow and difficult and my mind is racing in different directions. It is strange that the drug did nothing for me in regards to helping me with my adhd, but not taking it increased the overwhelmingness of it. My anxiety is better though, but I don't feel good about everything else. I really want things to get better. I want to get proper treatment. Hopefully it begins on Monday.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
You can't just stop taking Wellbutrin cold turkey. There is a tapering protocol you need to follow. Please, please, please consult a physician or psychiatrist about this.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
You can't just stop taking Wellbutrin cold turkey. There is a tapering protocol you need to follow. Please, please, please consult a physician or psychiatrist about this.
I have. They have yet to respond. I'm just kind of surprised it has effected me this way. I feel more of an effect not taking it in contrast with taking it. Oh, boy am I going to be reluctant for the next meds to take. I really want to take a nap when I get home.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:53:33 PM by jojoguy »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
I have. They have yet to respond. I'm just kind of surprised it has effected me this way. I feel more of an effect not taking it in contrast with taking it. Oh, boy am I going to be reluctant for the next meds to take.

I get that you are already off it, but in the future, please don't stop cold turkey again. Please please wait to actually talk to your physician/psychiatrist to get the protocol before you decide to stop. I know someone who had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital and was on suicide watch for weeks as a result of stopping that drug cold turkey. It was... not good. For a long time.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
I have. They have yet to respond. I'm just kind of surprised it has effected me this way. I feel more of an effect not taking it in contrast with taking it. Oh, boy am I going to be reluctant for the next meds to take. I really want to take a nap when I get home.
One of the great paradoxes of psych meds is that they, at best, just get you feeling closer to normal. Once normal, people wonder why they need to be taking the meds. The ramp up phase can be weird (I had a few days of really weird electric tingly feelings all over). The ramp down is just the same, but different. The simple fact is that they work by tweaking your brain chemistry, including an adjustment period while your brain adapts to the new chemistry. Sudden changes can be tweaky, for lack of a better term. If I miss a dose for a day I can feel the effect. I'll second that starting stopping should be done with supervision or a taper period at the absolute minimum.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »
Doing better today guys. I am taking half for a couple of days and will continue tapering off by going quarters. Got some good news about work tonight. So, I'm in a great mood.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:19 PM »
I had an appointment with my family Dr. Monday and I asked him for the information of the psychiatrist he had suggested in the past.  Even though I dread making phone calls I called and got the VM. lol So now I'm going to play phone tag.  It just never seems to go smoothly.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2019, 08:29:03 AM »
I had an appointment with my family Dr. Monday and I asked him for the information of the psychiatrist he had suggested in the past.  Even though I dread making phone calls I called and got the VM. lol So now I'm going to play phone tag.  It just never seems to go smoothly.
Nice work on making that first call.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »
Doing better today guys. I am taking half for a couple of days and will continue tapering off by going quarters. Got some good news about work tonight. So, I'm in a great mood.
Glad to hear that on all fronts.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »
I have two appointments on Monday. The testing results is the first one with a psychologist. The second one is with the psychiatrist fourty-five minutes later. I am really hoping that I can get proper therapy and yes, meds. There are so many things I have been wanting to do, but truly have been unable to do. I want to be handy around the house, learn a new work skill or skills, spend time actually doing things fun with my family, etc. etc. I am really excited. At the same time, I am nervous. What if they don`t think I have ADD? If that happens I will feel like I am starting over from square one. I have been obsessing over this for two months and hoping to get help. After much reading and much thought, I can`t see any other diagnosis. Oh man, this is scaring me.

I am reminded of something from my past. I was in college going for a nursing degree and froze up in the first semester. I had trouble with terrible procrastination when it came to studying and namely, pharmacology. I didn`t learn pharmacology until the last minute. I made a B on the final and it wasn`t enough to grant me another opportnunity to repeat the semester. I was crushed. I remembered something recently that somebody said while I was there. "Did you know that 75% of the class is on Adderall?" Honestly, I didn`t know what it was at the time. I was a skeptic of the existence of ADHD. I didn`t think anything of it at the time, but now I realize that I may have been the one who actually truly needed it. Most of those other students were apparently illegally taking the drug for the advantage, and I was the one who may have actually needed it. Thinking about this puts me into depression. What if I had been diagnosed 10 years ago? Guys, I need words of encouragement and your prayers. You guys are awesome to me and I think you for all your kind words.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2019, 09:36:40 PM »
I can relate to a lot of what you're saying.  There's been a couple times I've had a smile on my face because what you say hits so close to home. You know you're on the right path, unfortunately it will still take some time but in the end it will be worth it. 

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2019, 01:21:04 AM »
Best of luck for your results, @jojoguy. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan. 

And please persist with getting an appointment @ThatGuy. I know it's hard making those calls, but you deserve to feel better.

My background is a period of GAD 6 or so years ago that was triggered by a terrible job. 18 months of an SSRI (and quitting the job) sorted me out, but a recent peak in stress and a challenging work situation has sent me back into an anxiety spiral. I'm currently waiting for an appt with my GP to get back onto the SSRI for a couple of months until my stressful situation is resolved (starting a new job, moving to a new region, friends all being made redundant etc etc...)

There are so many of us dealing with this type of stuff. You are not alone.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »
Good luck to all of you.  I know it's hard, but you have to have confidence in yourself & stay positive.  Know that you are good and deserve a good future.  Life will get better & the sun will shine again.  Be strong for yourselves & those that love and are depending on you.  So much of life is a matter of perspective, search for the beauty and wonderful things that surround you.  Remember it's always there, even when you can only see darkness. 

Peace,
GE

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »
Good luck with your appointments today. Odds are that the diagnosis won't be a perfect overlap with your expectations... and that is okay. Lots of diagnoses have overlapping symptom sets.
One question I have found really useful in dealing with various drugs and therapies has been, "what is a realistic expectation for ______?" This includes effectiveness, timeframe over which change will ramp up/down, and potential side effects. YMMV.

Regardless, good on you for powering through this. I think many on this thread relate pretty strongly to a lot of the experiences you are expressing. I've had anxiety and depression impact my academic career (and post-academic career) at various times. I've also had broken bones do that. :)

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2019, 03:40:26 AM »
Thanks again guys! I have an update. I have officially been diagnosed with Inattentive ADHD along side anxiety and depression. However, the doctor believes that the other parts came along because of having adhd over the years. I seemed to have developed a pattern of avoidance of certain situations(She didn`t really have to even tell me :P). When confronted with these situations I have always gotten horrible anxiety. Just took my first med this morning(Tuesday) over 30 minutes ago. I`m not sure what to expect. I go to work in a little while. Hopefully, things will go well. Wish and pray that I am well.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2019, 04:06:45 AM »
That sounds like a good step forward for you, and seems like a sensible diagnosis. I hope the meds work well for you. Did your Dr indicate how long before you should see some benefits of the drug?

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2019, 04:16:58 AM »
That sounds like a good step forward for you, and seems like a sensible diagnosis. I hope the meds work well for you. Did your Dr indicate how long before you should see some benefits of the drug?

Ha! I was just about to edit my post above about the drug. I took Adderall for the first time a little over an hour and 15 minutes ago. I have been feeling the effects for about 30 minutes. So far, I am liking it. I feel very very calm and clear headed. I have been randomly picking up a few things around the house randomly as I walk through. I never did stuff like that and it didn`t feel like a chore or even really a compulsion. It was more like an "It was there and I might as well" situation. I go to work in a little while and actually look forward to going.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2019, 05:37:31 AM »
Wow! that is a pretty amazing impact. Enjoy your day!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2019, 11:53:40 AM »
Glad to hear you got an appropriate med for your diagnosis. Be aware you will feel the opposite effects when the drug wears off at the end of the day. It may be a little overwhelming for a while, but you'll eventually get used to the daily transitions.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
Glad to hear you got an appropriate med for your diagnosis. Be aware you will feel the opposite effects when the drug wears off at the end of the day. It may be a little overwhelming for a while, but you'll eventually get used to the daily transitions.

This definitely happened today. They didn`t prescribe the extended release kind. I already contacted the psychiatrist this late afternoon about it. She said I can take twice a day now and wrote me a new prescription to make them last through my next appointment at the end of May.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
Where's the "Thumbs Up" button? 

Happy for you.  :)

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:43 AM »
Where's the "Thumbs Up" button? 

Happy for you.  :)

Thank you so much!

I`m asking my doctor for extended release Adderall now instead of taking twice a day. I`d rather have a steady feeling of calmness all day instead of a slow drop off into confusion and fatigue. I did get a lot accomplished at my job yesterday though. I am looking forward to going to work today.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »
Jumping in after years of silence on these forums - I am a depression sufferer, I take an SSRI and a Ritalin derivative, but the latter is for my mood and not for ADHD per se.
I actually find that coming on these message boards helps me feel so hopeful. Realizing I don't have to spend my life aching to own the next thing, worrying about how much work I have (or don't have), thinking more about the process of my life rather than what I'm going to squeeze out of it financially speaking - if that all makes sense.
MMM Is Therapeutic!!
Now I have a LOT of work to do to get back into MMM-ness.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2019, 06:04:49 AM »
Nice work on making that first call.

Hey @ThatGuy, how did it go?  Did you get to make the appointment?

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
I have some good news and some bad news.  I gave up trying to make an appointment with the office my family doctor suggested.  I went through the list of psychiatrists that my insurance provider has listed that are in network.  I actually found the same doctor that I was trying to make an appointment with works in another office a couple of days a week.  I called and actually talked to a real person!  I made an appointment...for July 22.  This is going to be a long two and a half months and that's just getting to the starting point! lol But at least I have an appointment scheduled.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »
I have some good news and some bad news.  I gave up trying to make an appointment with the office my family doctor suggested.  I went through the list of psychiatrists that my insurance provider has listed that are in network.  I actually found the same doctor that I was trying to make an appointment with works in another office a couple of days a week.  I called and actually talked to a real person!  I made an appointment...for July 22.  This is going to be a long two and a half months and that's just getting to the starting point! lol But at least I have an appointment scheduled.

Great job taking that first step! 

One thing that I find helps when a doctor's appointment is such a long time off, is I call back and ask if I can also be on the waiting list. People cancel appointments all the time and often I can get something a lot sooner.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
They put me on the waiting list so we'll see if I get bumped up.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2019, 04:59:12 AM »

Ugh! The wait is horrible. Hopefully things will be quick for you.

Update:
Things haven't been good this past week. My medication went from working some to not working at all. With exception being having a caffiene-like effect. The added focus is pretty much gone. Multitasking at work has been a mess. I have energy but my mind rases in multiple directions instead of just focusing at one thing at a time. In a way it feels like the meds have pushed an acceleration pedal on my mind racing in different directions. I guess so far adderall isn't the right one. Which is a pity because the first few days it felt to be the right direction.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »

Update:
Things haven't been good this past week. My medication went from working some to not working at all. With exception being having a caffiene-like effect. The added focus is pretty much gone. Multitasking at work has been a mess. I have energy but my mind rases in multiple directions instead of just focusing at one thing at a time. In a way it feels like the meds have pushed an acceleration pedal on my mind racing in different directions. I guess so far adderall isn't the right one. Which is a pity because the first few days it felt to be the right direction.

It took me about 2 years and trying lots of different meds and cocktails to get the right medicine for my Tourette's that suppressed symptoms without intolerable side effects.  Most of the psych meds have a curve where the effect changes over a period of about 6 weeks.  You have to try a med for 2 months and then revisit with the doctor to change meds/doses whatever.  It can be a process.

I recommend asking about Flouxetine (Used to go by tradename Prosac).  It was the most widely used medication of the 20th century and remains in the top 5 after all these years.  It is a poster child for the FDAs "safe and effective" mandate.  I tried a lot of drugs and kept asking the doc to try Flouxetine again and pair it with something for the side effects.  I now take 20mg of Fluoxetine a day and 1mg of Pimozide.  Life has been a ton better for over a decade.  Note that Flouxetine is one of the drugs that takes 6 weeks to build up in your system and have the desired effect.  You'll notice no change the first couple weeks and then it will build.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »

Update:

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear this.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2019, 04:49:41 AM »

Update:

I`m alright overall though. Staying positive. Everything will work out.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »

Update:

That's good to hear.  It might take a little bit to figure out exactly what works, so don't get discouraged if any one thing isn't right for you.   

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »

Update:

Staying positive is the key.  You've seen good days, and will again.  It will just take a while to get things dialed in.

Keep notes on the process.  Celebrate the good days and remember them when you have tough times.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »
Today was the first time I have had an appointment set aside just for talking therapy. Honestly, it was a great experience. I was expecting to feel very uncomfortable, but it was the exact opposite. The 45 minute session flew by and I felt so much relief just talking about how I felt and getting much needed advice. I look forward to the next appointment. I never imagined that I would ever say that.

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
Today was the first time I have had an appointment set aside just for talking therapy. Honestly, it was a great experience. I was expecting to feel very uncomfortable, but it was the exact opposite. The 45 minute session flew by and I felt so much relief just talking about how I felt and getting much needed advice. I look forward to the next appointment. I never imagined that I would ever say that.

+1!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »

+1!
Great!

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:30 AM »
So glad to hear you're seeing positive results from therapy.  I echo other posters in saying to hang in with meds for a while to get your body & brain to adjust to them.  When I first went on anti-depressants I felt worse for the first 2 weeks rather than better.  Eventually, the meds reached the right levels in my system and I just felt... normal. 

Give yourself time!

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
So glad to hear you're seeing positive results from therapy.  I echo other posters in saying to hang in with meds for a while to get your body & brain to adjust to them.  When I first went on anti-depressants I felt worse for the first 2 weeks rather than better.  Eventually, the meds reached the right levels in my system and I just felt... normal. 

Give yourself time!

It is not the antidepressants. I`m actually on very little dosage of welbutrin for anxiety. I am taking Adderall(15mg) and was recommended by the doctor now to take twice a day. I still felt eh. I am now taking just once but 30mg a day. It is better with energy, but I still feel like it is under where I need to be. The focus is not that much. It just feels like I have a ton of energy. It is very good in that regard. Energy is not my complaint. I want to have motivation and that energy to accompany it. I still feel better though than before. Baby steps....

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2019, 05:07:29 AM »
Alright a huge update:

I was prescribed a month ago Generic Adderall 30mg for twice a day. Honestly, this is the best I have ever felt day to day in a long time or ever! The depression is GONE. I only feel depressed if there is something immediate or if something bothers me in general. I have virtually no chronic depression. I weaned off of Welbutrin because of that to test it out. Yep, it is gone. I`m in a constant positive and good mood. I am also surprised how much I enjoy 1 on 1 therapy.

I am concerned about my early teenage son though. I can tell father like son in him. He has a few problems that I always had. He also is somewhat of a hypochondriac. I would like to get him diagnosed, but I really don`t want to get him on any type of medication yet because of his age and growing brain. His possible mood disorder hasn`t done much to interfere with most of his life either with the exception of worrying about things a little too much. His grades are good/great as well. I am interested in getting him into therapy though.