Author Topic: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis  (Read 5628 times)

A Fella from Stella

• Bristles
Re: Depression/anxiety/ADHD diagnosis
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2019, 05:16:16 AM »
Hey JojoGuy,

Sorry about your current situation. In 2012 I had an employer insist I get tested, and it turned out I had trauma-induced ADD, which is apparently becoming common among veterans.

It was fairly disheartening, but I'm living my life.

While I don't have that job anymore (for u9nrelated reasons), my income is about 2x what it was 7 years ago, and we are doing alright.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2019, 10:05:57 AM »
Alright a huge update:

I was prescribed a month ago Generic Adderall 30mg for twice a day. Honestly, this is the best I have ever felt day to day in a long time or ever! The depression is GONE. I only feel depressed if there is something immediate or if something bothers me in general. I have virtually no chronic depression. I weaned off of Welbutrin because of that to test it out. Yep, it is gone. I`m in a constant positive and good mood. I am also surprised how much I enjoy 1 on 1 therapy.

I am concerned about my early teenage son though. I can tell father like son in him. He has a few problems that I always had. He also is somewhat of a hypochondriac. I would like to get him diagnosed, but I really don`t want to get him on any type of medication yet because of his age and growing brain. His possible mood disorder hasn`t done much to interfere with most of his life either with the exception of worrying about things a little too much. His grades are good/great as well. I am interested in getting him into therapy though.

That is really great to hear! 

Your son is blessed to have you as a good example of a parent who is not embarrassed to seek help, and who encourages him to take help when available. 

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2019, 10:24:05 AM »
Alright a huge update:

I was prescribed a month ago Generic Adderall 30mg for twice a day. Honestly, this is the best I have ever felt day to day in a long time or ever! The depression is GONE. I only feel depressed if there is something immediate or if something bothers me in general. I have virtually no chronic depression. I weaned off of Welbutrin because of that to test it out. Yep, it is gone. I`m in a constant positive and good mood. I am also surprised how much I enjoy 1 on 1 therapy.

I am concerned about my early teenage son though. I can tell father like son in him. He has a few problems that I always had. He also is somewhat of a hypochondriac. I would like to get him diagnosed, but I really don`t want to get him on any type of medication yet because of his age and growing brain. His possible mood disorder hasn`t done much to interfere with most of his life either with the exception of worrying about things a little too much. His grades are good/great as well. I am interested in getting him into therapy though.

That is really great to hear! 

Your son is blessed to have you as a good example of a parent who is not embarrassed to seek help, and who encourages him to take help when available.
+1. Great news! And also good that you are looking out for, and setting an example for your son.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
    • Insert Snappy Title Here (Journal)
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:53 AM »
What a fantastic update! Thank you for sharing. I wish you a continued happy state of mind.

GreenEggs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:41 PM »
Glad to hear your good news.  Congats!

StarBright

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »
Thank you for your awesome update!

A note on kids and therapy - if you do decide to go that route, you might not notice it helping at first. But I've heard anecdotally from several people (including professionals) that it will often seem like younger teens are not getting anything from it, only to put the skills they learn to use as they get through high school, college, and young adult hood. It is great to equip them with tools to handle it when they are young apparently :)

You, also sound like a great parent.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing the good news.  I'm very happy that you and your doctor found the solution!