Author Topic: David Koch dead at age 79. What about the estate tax?  (Read 2687 times)

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
David Koch dead at age 79. What about the estate tax?
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:12 AM »
I must admit that I wasn't a fan of the man. I think that in sum he had a negative impact on America. But, that's just because my values did not line up with his values. I'm sure that he would feel differently.

Anyways, the estate tax of 40% comes in to play above $11m (or so) this year. His net worth was reported to be $42b, so will the IRS be cashing a check for $16b to help pay for Trump's tax cuts?

Or did he set up a trust with all his money and name his heirs as beneficiaries? If this is the case (and I believe it is), then wouldn't his net worth be zero?

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
Re: David Koch dead at age 79. What about the estate tax?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 10:14:13 AM »
Wasn't Koch married? Doesn't that mean his wife can get his entire net worth tax-free?

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unlimited-marital-deduction.asp

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
His wife is alive and 57 years old. 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
I say good riddance to a terrible person.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:00:27 AM »
Estate Tax? Eh!!

I don't know much of Mr. Koch's finances. But billionnaire's don't pay such taxes, including estate taxes. There are many estate planning attorneys who will set up proper generational trusts and such so that you can avoid it too - provided you need it and can pay for it.

Those stupid tax laws are only for lowly humans like us. The libertarian overlords exist on a different plane, 'more equal than others' in Orwell's lingo, not subject to our laws!!

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Great replies, thank you all.

Yes, it appears that Mr. Koch's widow is much younger than he was. I wonder if he left her most of his estate to do with as he wished? Or did he lock it up in a trust for the benefit of his children/grandchildren, etc? I doubt he'd leave tens of billions to his widow so that she could spend the money on the next Mr. Right. But, maybe he was so generous after all? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It appears that he does have a trust, but with assets registered at a paltry $30m in 2015 and trending lower.  https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/480926946

I wonder where the other $42 billion are?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:20:25 PM »
Estate Tax? Eh!!

I don't know much of Mr. Koch's finances. But billionnaire's don't pay such taxes, including estate taxes. There are many estate planning attorneys who will set up proper generational trusts and such so that you can avoid it too - provided you need it and can pay for it.

Those stupid tax laws are only for lowly humans like us. The libertarian overlords exist on a different plane, 'more equal than others' in Orwell's lingo, not subject to our laws!!

I don't think you can use trusts to avoid taxation on billions, but if you do LMK how.  Obviously it could have been used to lock in a relatively paltry exemption.  Perhaps there was a glitch in 2010 that made it temporarily possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:23:04 PM by dragoncar »

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:46:03 PM »
Estate Tax? Eh!!

I don't think you can use trusts to avoid taxation on billions, but if you do LMK how.  Obviously it could have been used to lock in a relatively paltry exemption.  Perhaps there was a glitch in 2010 that made it temporarily possible.

Most billionaires use much more complicated mechanisms. Some are clearly abusive, but apparently defensible in court. Most of these mechanisms are not discussed in the public realm, just some leak out.

Mitt Romney had a 100mm Roth account. Think how hard it is to land with @5000/yr..

Trump Sr. gave a total of ~900MM to trump brothers and sisters as inheritance and gifts. Guess how much inheritance taxes they paid on that. It’s now, after the NYT investigative reporting on that, that NY has opened an investigation.

The ‘conservative’ billionaires DO NOT consider themselves subject to the same rules and laws as us (this is as opposed to the more ethical variety like Buffet/Gates etc who do actively and repeatedly bring attention to these absurdities).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »
I say good riddance to a terrible person.

I hope whoever inherits the money or whatever the foundation is that controls the money will not be as evil.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »
Julia Flescher (his wife) seems to be very into the NYC art scene.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/david-koch-wife-julia-flesher/

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
Julia Flescher (his wife) seems to be very into the NYC art scene.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/david-koch-wife-julia-flesher/

Yes, every time I see a ballet at  Lincoln Center in nyc, it’s at the David Koch theater.  So at least there’s that...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 09:28:05 PM »
I'm more troubled that Koch couldn't afford enough basic healthcare to get himself past average life expectancy. What hope the rest of you Americans?

I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet.   ;-)

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/david-koch-still-on-wrong-side-of-river-styx-after-refusing-to-pay-one-cent-ferry-tax/

I like this.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
Quite a few of the mega-rich die early.

Paul Allen was only 65. Perhaps he hadn't even started collecting his SS?

Steve Jobs didn't see 60.

Building a billion-dollar business must be exhausting.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:48:08 AM »
Quite a few of the mega-rich die early.

Paul Allen was only 65. Perhaps he hadn't even started collecting his SS?

Steve Jobs didn't see 60.

Building a billion-dollar business must be exhausting.

Nonsense. There will be outliers in any population, but all the data we have suggests that the richer you are, the longer you live on average. I don't know if anyone has studied the life expectancy of billionaires in particular, but there's also no reason to believe (without data) that they would buck the trend.

Also Steve Jobs is a particularly bad example. He died young because he chose to turn to pseudo-science instead of simply getting treatment, not because he was exhausted from building Apple.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 12:31:48 AM »
I'm more troubled that Koch couldn't afford enough basic healthcare to get himself past average life expectancy. What hope the rest of you Americans?

I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet.   ;-)

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/david-koch-still-on-wrong-side-of-river-styx-after-refusing-to-pay-one-cent-ferry-tax/

I like this.
Me too.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 01:26:32 AM »
I also like the satirical article on David Kock being on the wrong side of the river Styx.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 05:33:00 AM »
I also like the satirical article on David Kock being on the wrong side of the river Styx.

We all arrive on that bank. It's why we need the ferryman.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!