Author Topic: Cricket World Cup 2019  (Read 12943 times)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
Cricket World Cup 2019
« on: April 23, 2019, 09:49:59 AM »
Who are your picks and who do you think will make it to the finals and take the cup?

Are any mustachians going to the World Cup? Rather non-mustachian activity, but maybe it is on your bucket list.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cricket World Cup 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »
I'm going to pick the Indians to win it. With a user name like mine, did you think I would pick someone else ;-)

Predicting the finals between England and India.

I was planning to go to London for it, had tickets for the India-SriLanka game as well as the finals, but had to cancel due to illness. I'll end up watching on TV in the comfort of my home.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
pick: SA
2nd pick: NZ

will watch daily highlights. Don't have time to watch a 50-overs game. debating on getting the streaming subscription to use for weekend cricket-watch parties and for the work from home days.

I'm in love with T20 and IPL, but can't sit everyday and watch it live (during work hours) or recorded match. Rather be exercising or work on house projects. Watching highlights using IPL app is good enough.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:02:27 AM by jinga nation »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:52:55 AM »
pick: SA
2nd pick: NZ

I can see you picking SA. I think it is time they give up the choker tag and win one.

Being FIRE'ed, I have all the time to waste on a 50 over game. I might even watch some tests after the world cup :-)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:54:41 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
Always hard to predict one-off 50 over games, and the weather here always adds an element of chance.

England to beat India in the final. I think NZ look to have a pretty strong team too. Kohli to score the most runs.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
I'd forgotten the world cup was still going...

No love for Australia?

Rare that we don't make the final let along take the trophy... usually without sandpaper too.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »

No love for Australia?

Rare that we don't make the final let along take the trophy... usually without sandpaper too.

I was wondering when the first sandpaper joke or the first DRS (Dressing Room Review) jokes would happen. Did not expect an Aussie to make it ;-)

Naah, Australia will be out before the semis!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:51:16 PM »

No love for Australia?

I was wondering when the first sandpaper joke or the first DRS (Dressing Room Review) jokes would happen. Did not expect an Aussie to make it ;-)

Naah, Australia will be out before the semis!

Well look, it's not like Australia are the only ones who have ever engaged in ball tampering. The only reason why this one got attention was because of the size of the penalties handed out. I await with baited breath other countries taking the action Australia did if/when their players get done.

Interesting list of players who have been caught out over the years -

- Faf du Plessis (SA vs PAK, 2013 and SA vs Aus, 2016), Scratching with pants Zip, and Mints and lollies
- Vernon Philander (SA vs SL 2014), Fingernails/scratching
- Shahid Afridi (PAK vs AUS 2010), Biting the ball (he claimed he was smelling it!)
- James Anderson and Stuart Broad (ENG vs SA 2010), treading on the ball in the field.
- Pakistan (vs ENG 2006) - Umpires determined that the team had been engaged in ball tampering, match nearly led to a diplomatic incident
- Marcus Trescothick (England) wrote in his autobiography in 2005 about the curious effects of Murray Mints and its effects on the ball
- Rahul Dravid (IND vs ZIM 2004) - lollies
- Sachin Tendulkar (IND vs SA, 2001) - yes, even God was caught cheating by "cleaning" the ball
- Waqar Younis (2000) - ever watch replays of Waqar and Wasim and wonder how they get the ball to swing that much? More lollies
- Mike Atherton was done at some point as well for having dirt in the pocket.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:53:33 PM by marty998 »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
I'm assuming WC2019 will be filmed in 4K. High Def cheating. The replays will be glorious. Player will live in infamy. All the more reason not to attempt shenanigans.
But players be players... There Shall Be Tampering.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 03:05:44 AM »
WC winner odds according to Australian Sportsbet:

England $3.25
India $3.75
Australia $5.00
New Zealand $11.00
South Africa $11.00
Pakistan $13.00
West Indies $13.00
Sri Lanka $51.00
Afghanistan $101.00
Bangladesh $101.00

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
WC winner odds according to Australian Sportsbet:

England $3.25
India $3.75
Australia $5.00
New Zealand $11.00
South Africa $11.00
Pakistan $13.00
West Indies $13.00
Sri Lanka $51.00
Afghanistan $101.00
Bangladesh $101.00

Probably fair odds, I think it'll be England v India WC final (much like the Women's WC a couple of years back), and two of Australia/South Africa/West Indies/New Zealand/Pakistan will make the top four.

I wouldn't read much into the Australia 5-0 win in the UAE. We're still a bit underpowered with the bat. South Africa are likely to choke again (is AB playing in this WC or has he retired from all international cricket?). Who knows whether Dhoni is still up to it, he may prove in the WC that he's still got it, or he might be past it.

Speaking of the WC final, I was at the 2015 final. Although, remember who won the last World Cup held in England :)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:49:26 AM »
how are you guys watching the WC in the US? I saw willow tv has the rights for $10/month. Reviews say the streaming sucks in quality and reliability. The reliable option seems to be getting a Sling account and then the Willow channel/international sports pack, so it's a higher price. Unsure if I have to get  the Sling Blue/Orange pack first.

Too bloody complicated.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 07:01:58 AM »
Who is the most super excited about the cricket world cup?????!!!!!!

*crickets*

:P

Thank you, I'm here all week.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 08:26:36 AM »
@GuitarStv good one! also an awesome dad joke.

around here, during cricket world cup, it gets crazy. the local indian doctors in their 50s and 60s start acting like teenagers. I get invited to these parties, my job is to keep them drinking so they don't start talking medical gibberish. It's an excuse for the men to get away from wives and drink without judgement.

one year, the cricket matches started in the 0300-0500 hours, so we were drinking at breakfast. and lunch. and the next day. the 3rd day, half the crowd didn't show up. Of the ones that did, only half drank. and the ones that still drank called the others <not nice words in Hindi>. Hilarious.

If you're British, Aussie, SAfrican, Indian, Pakistani, or West Indian, in the USA/Canada, chances are pretty high you'll be stoked for the WC. England and India are two of the favorites.

Ball tampering in 4K. Sledging. Bring. It. On!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 01:29:02 PM »
how are you guys watching the WC in the US? I saw willow tv has the rights for $10/month. Reviews say the streaming sucks in quality and reliability. The reliable option seems to be getting a Sling account and then the Willow channel/international sports pack, so it's a higher price. Unsure if I have to get  the Sling Blue/Orange pack first.

Too bloody complicated.

Sling has a deal for $45/year. Not bad at all. It is basically Willow TV. This package basically targets the Indians (desi means countryman).

https://www.sling.com/international/desi-tv/cricket
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:31:20 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
Who is the most super excited about the cricket world cup?????!!!!!!

Far more than the Stanley cup or the World Series ;-)

The traffic on this thread will pick up when the actual games start in a week or so.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 07:57:10 AM »
Can we talk uniforms for the World Cup?

What's up with England and Afghanistan copying India's blues? Just add a little stripe of color to the India blues and you the other team's colors. England with dark blue and Afghanistan with a reddish stripe.

And don't even talk about Australia ;-) What's with their yellow? I guess the opposing team is so blinded that they just give up?

The Kiwis are lucky. There is no other shade of black...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:17:00 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 05:36:41 PM »
Can we talk uniforms for the World Cup?

What's up with England and Afghanistan copying India's blues? Just add a little stripe of color to the India blues and you the other team's colors. England with dark blue and Afghanistan with a reddish stripe.

And don't even talk about Australia ;-) What's with their yellow? I guess the opposing team is so blinded that they just give up?

The Kiwis are lucky. There is no other shade of black...

Back when the pyjamas were first worn in the 80s all the teams were quite recognisable in their colours. One colour each - very pale though. Light yellow for Aus, light green for Pakistan, light red for the windies, NZ wore a grey if I recall correctly. South Africa wasn't playing due to apartheid boycotts.

Australia changed from yellow to dark green for ODIs when a certain sponsor whose logo was yellow wanted it to show up visibly on the TV cameras.

However for the World Cup, we always go back to yellow, which I'm surprised we get away with because the white ball will be harder for a batsman to pick up if the ball is in the same line of sight of the bowler.

The jerseys change every year now because of $$$. Because as the administrators like to advertise to us, only real supporters wear the latest merchandise...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2019, 02:04:41 AM »
It's not yellow. It's GOLD. Australian colours are green and gold.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2019, 03:38:08 AM »
Nz cricketers wore beige in the 80's. The Beige Brigade are Kiwi cricket fans who celebrate their nostalgia for those days with a selection of beige garments!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2019, 04:43:46 AM »

It's yellow. Only the Wallabies wear something that looks remotely like gold....

Speaking of which, I think we'll be up to Bledisloe loss number 17 in a row this year. NZ might decide to put their third string side out this year, just to make it a contest for TV ratings.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2019, 10:52:06 AM »

I did watch the England/Australia warmup game for a few minutes. It was definitely yellow and nothing like their old uniform.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:24:24 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:59 AM »
First match starting very soon. Should be a cracker, South Africa v England.

And yeah the Australian kit is very bright.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 03:25:54 AM »
Few days of hot weather forecast too. The trouble with holding these events in England is you can easily get two weeks and half the games wiped out by rain, but it's looking good at the moment.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 03:30:12 AM »
Few days of hot weather forecast too. The trouble with holding these events in England is you can easily get two weeks and half the games wiped out by rain, but it's looking good at the moment.

Define 'hot' :)

Looks nice at the Oval right now though.

Will be interesting to see if Root does well in this WC. I've had him typecast as a 'red ball only' cricketer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:41:24 AM by alsoknownasDean »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 04:02:37 AM »

Define 'hot' :)

It's when you can go on to a cricket pitch without a sweater on ;-)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2019, 08:07:45 AM »
found this hilarious and somewhat relevant:

Cricket Corruption | Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj | Netflix
https://youtu.be/v5DWJv1hiwM

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »
Wow, the way Pakistan got thrashed by West Indies! I think we have to change the ranking and move WI up.

In any tournament, my second choice team is always the West Indies. They have a certain joie de vivre!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:09:09 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 11:19:16 AM »
found this hilarious and somewhat relevant:

Cricket Corruption | Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj | Netflix
https://youtu.be/v5DWJv1hiwM

Lord, he insults every country that plays cricket except for NZ.

Well, if India provides the majority of the revenue, they should have more of a say. As the golden rule says, The one who has the gold makes the rules.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 03:02:57 PM »
Wow, the way Pakistan got thrashed by West Indies! I think we have to change the ranking and move WI up.

In any tournament, my second choice team is always the West Indies. They have a certain joie de vivre!
I like the way they went after the net run-rate thing too. In such a close tournament, particularly where we're certain to get some rain-affected games, the big margin in this game could be the difference between a semi-final place or not.

Interesting tactics - lots of short-pitched stuff - like the WI teams of the 1980s. Pakistan were not able to deal with it. Nice to see a couple of tactical innovations in the first two games. I'm sure other teams will adopt the SA tactic of opening with leg spin against England.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »

Many of those WI players were really good in IPL 2019. I'm not surprised by how they played today. Let's see how they play against the Aussies on 6/6. Should be fun.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2019, 03:24:43 AM »

Many of those WI players were really good in IPL 2019. I'm not surprised by how they played today. Let's see how they play against the Aussies on 6/6. Should be fun.

I remember the Windies touring Australia for a few tests a few years ago, and they were totally uncompetitive. Glad to see they've turned things around.

NZ bowling first vs SL. Should be a walkover for the Blackcaps, but you never know. That pitch is a total greentop, I think Boult should be good for a few wickets.

Unfortunately the Australia v Afghanistan game starts a little late (starts at 10:30PM here), so I might only catch a bit of it before going to bed.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:39:59 AM by alsoknownasDean »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
NZ bowling first vs SL. Should be a walkover for the Blackcaps, but you never know. That pitch is a total greentop, I think Boult should be good for a few wickets.

Some rain in Cardiff over the last few days, which I think is why the pitch is so green. Outfield will be slow too. NZ opening with three slips, like a test match field.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »

Some rain in Cardiff over the last few days, which I think is why the pitch is so green. Outfield will be slow too. NZ opening with three slips, like a test match field.

Fair enough. Still, looks like aside from Karunaratne, most of the SL players had real trouble.

I've switched over to the other match. Afghanistan could be a surprise packet.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 06:52:08 AM by alsoknownasDean »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 06:43:42 AM »
Check out Brendan McCullum's prediction for every game of the WC.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket-world-cup/brendon-mccullum-world-cup-prediction/

SL is doing so poorly now, they are in a state of building up their team, so rightfully they are quite near the bottom. So yes, NZ should win against them.

The Afghans are a wild card. On a good day, they can do really well, so the Oz game with them would be interesting. I would be watching it, but we have guests for lunch today :-(

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
What's up with the scheduling of games? Some teams are playing their second game before some teams have even played their first.

The Proteas will be playing their 3rd game of the WC when they play India who will be playing their first game.

Is this for TV?

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »
I assumed the India team needed to start a couple of weeks after everyone else due to film commitments or something ;-)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2019, 05:54:19 AM »
I assumed the India team needed to start a couple of weeks after everyone else due to film commitments or something ;-)

Or paintball games ;-)

They got trolled on twitter for taking a day off to play paintball.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »

Or paintball games ;-)

They got trolled on twitter for taking a day off to play paintball.

Yes, seems like they are based in Southampton and largely avoiding the media. I guess with IPL only finishing a couple of weeks ago, maybe Indian tv wanted a bit of a break.

Bangladesh doing well against S. Africa. If the Saffas lose this, the game against India becomes a must-win.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2019, 01:45:01 PM »
Check out Brendan McCullum's prediction for every game of the WC.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket-world-cup/brendon-mccullum-world-cup-prediction/

SL is doing so poorly now, they are in a state of building up their team, so rightfully they are quite near the bottom. So yes, NZ should win against them.

The Afghans are a wild card. On a good day, they can do really well, so the Oz game with them would be interesting. I would be watching it, but we have guests for lunch today :-(

LOL. Baz's predictions on SA a tad bit optimistic. SA choked twice now. Vs India is a must-win. The pressure, with squad injuries... India will be pitching short and high for Amla and his already hurt head.

Banglas doing great (fingers crossed they play like this vs England), Afghans at least were going down proudly vs the Baggy Greens, unlike the Pakistan and SL teams.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
Sending out an SOS to AB de Villiers.....

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
The Pakistan team finally showed up at Trent Bridge today. Well played.
The last over, if it was MSD or Dre Russ or Hardik Pandya, 25 runs could have been achieved, not with this England team down the order.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
The Pakistan team finally showed up at Trent Bridge today. Well played.
The last over, if it was MSD or Dre Russ or Hardik Pandya, 25 runs could have been achieved, not with this England team down the order.

If Buttler or Stokes had still been there, I think they would have made it. England do bat a long way down the order, but it would have been a big ask for no.9 batsman. They lost this game through poor fielding, not the batting.

Great to have the first competitive game of the competition and good to have Pakistan up and running.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 05:12:51 AM »
Afghans at least were going down proudly vs the Baggy Greens, unlike the Pakistan and SL teams.
Baggy greens are the test team. These are known as the bulging yellows.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 06:09:04 AM »
Looks like the Afghans can probably win this one against SL. Looks like they will bowl out SL for around 200.

Looks like the rain has stopped play at 182/8. With 2 wickets down in the last 6 balls, looks like SL is imploding...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:33:50 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 08:11:14 AM »
Looks like the Afghans can probably win this one against SL. Looks like they will bowl out SL for around 200.

Looks like the rain has stopped play at 182/8. With 2 wickets down in the last 6 balls, looks like SL is imploding...

Sri Lanka got off to a great start, too - they were 128-1 off 17, run rate above 7.5. It's raining at pretty much all of the county grounds currently, but looks like there'll be enough of a break in it at Cardiff to get this game finished.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what the DL target is for Afghanistan.

That is unless it's a draw. Any sign of a resumption?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2019, 06:04:05 AM »
Do South Africa need to win everything from here to make it through?

Remind me what the format is for the competition? Every team plays every other team once (no groups), and top 4 go through to the semis?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2019, 06:14:51 AM »

Remind me what the format is for the competition? Every team plays every other team once (no groups), and top 4 go through to the semis?
Yes that's the format. SA could probably get in with 5/4 on net run rate, but losing the first match so heavily would hurt there.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2019, 06:58:57 AM »

Yes that's the format. SA could probably get in with 5/4 on net run rate, but losing the first match so heavily would hurt there.

Seems like an uphill task for SA. Their remaining games against Afghanistan and SL may be easier, but the Oz, NZ and WI would be hard. I think they have the edge over Pak.

I wonder what the odds against SA are? I've found the betting oddmakers are usually better than most commentators.