Author Topic: Coronavirus is the End of Trump  (Read 52931 times)

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
Coronavirus is the End of Trump
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:33:43 AM »
Sorry for starting a new thread. The other threads seem to be focused on news updates and providing information, and I did not want to hijack those threads.

I cannot recall a single situation in my lifetime where the federal government so badly fucked up anything in my entire life. I’m on record here saying this coronavirus was not a big deal, but that was with the assumption that the federal government would do what it has normally done during the Trump administration — ignore his Twitter bullshit and actually run a moderately effective yet unconventional government (even if you disagreed with the policy). That hasn’t happened.

We have known about the outbreak for several months now. The Trump administration did absolutely nothing except institute a travel ban from China. They did not get testing ramped up, they did not remove red tape to allow the private sector to develop vaccines, they did not coordinate with state and local governments. A complete fuck-up on so many levels.

When the virus did get here, Trump flat out lied about damn near every important detail. It’s clear at this point that he intentionally wanted low testing so that numbers stayed low. Then he said “if you need a test, you can get a test” — a total lie. A complete abomination.

Trump also has put political people in charge instead of experts. It’s one thing to put “outsiders” in certain agencies to shake things up. But good heavens, in public health? There is nobody running the show that’s competent. Every branch of government you’d want to handle this is completely understaffed and does not have qualified leaders in place.

As things got worse, it was blatantly clear Trump was worried about the economy, not this disease. He bitched about the Fed rate, talked incessantly about stimulus, etc. Hey bud, WHAT ABOUT TESTING??? It’s patently clear he did not care about testing, and was far more concerned with the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

When Trump had an opportunity to calm the nation, he made it worse. He announced a travel ban from Europe without (a) advising DHS or (b) coordinating with Europe. He did not give any information about testing. He did not give any recommendations about precautions people and local governments should take. It was a tour de force of incompetence.

The unfortunate result of all this is mass hysteria, and a complete loss of faith in the federal government. Perhaps I’m wrong, but the reason everything is being canceled is because normal people and local governments don’t have any assurance from the feds, so they need to exercise tremendous caution. I applaud my governor, Mike DeWine, for taking such measures.

The “Trump” economy — his best case for reelection — has crashed. When Trump was finally confronted with a crisis not of his own making, he absolutely failed. This is why I did not vote for him in 2016 — I did not think he could pull his head from his ass when the nation really needed it.

Barring Biden’s competence issues taking a dramatic turn for the worse, or him performing awful in the debates, Trump is done.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
Re: Coronavirus is the End of Trump
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 07:53:34 AM »
I never thought I'd see a day when pro sports, who live for nothing but $$$ and lots of it, would be the grown ups in the room and lead the charge to start doing the right things. Thankfully that has cascaded on a local level, at least, and more and more things are shutting down. But the fact that the greedy pro sports leagues had to be the ones to step up tells you all you need to know about how badly the feds screwed this up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
I sincerely hope you are right. I am grateful that Gretchen Whitmer, gov. of Michigan, and my local city authorities are acting quickly and decisively. Trump is completely unprepared for this or any other crisis and does not seem to have even the minimum amount of empathy or cognitive capacity to understand the actual issues, and has wasted far too much time blaming anyone but his own administration for their negligence. Mike Pence and the CDC are left to kowtow to him publicly while wasting time on damage control.

Our federal executive branch has utterly failed us, and the legislative branch may not be far behind, depending on the behavior of the GOP senators. At this point, we can only hope that actions taken by state and local governments and private businesses will keep this from reaching worst-case scenario.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:13:35 AM »
I think you're probably right.  This isn't even a right vs left thing.  It's a leadership thing and he/executive branch has failed miserably.  I've seen far more proactive measures and leadership at the local and business level

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:54 AM »
The ironic thing is the fact that since people are actually doing something about this at a local level, the result will be a manageable disease, which will feed into Trump's message that this isn't as bad of a disease as everyone is saying.

After 2016, I will never be shocked about political outcomes again. "The End of Trump" has been trumpeted countless times, and every time it seems to simply fuel his message.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:23:57 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't quite agree.

Today's American Right don't vote for competence. They want to burn everything down. Trump is just doing that. Burning down federal agencies, american capabilities etc. The white nationalists have determined they won't win in the long run. So they are just trying to make sure everyone else loses as well.

They aren't phased by kids being mowed down by guns. You think 4-5% of older people dying is going to make them wink?

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:32:12 AM »
I would expect the Dem candidate to be playing clips of Trump calling it a hoax on a loop from now until November.

AliEli

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »
Trump is over 70 and has been exposed multiple times to Covid-19 this week. I'm looking at his weight and neck and thinking "ahhhh, he's not a fantastic candidate for mechanical ventilation".

If he catches it, there's a reasonable chance that he either won't be around or healthy enough to contest in November.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:06:33 AM »

Today's American Right don't vote for competence. They want to burn everything down. Trump is just doing that. Burning down federal agencies, american capabilities etc. The white nationalists have determined they won't win in the long run. So they are just trying to make sure everyone else loses as well.

They aren't phased by kids being mowed down by guns. You think 4-5% of older people dying is going to make them wink?

I don’t agree with this. I think you’re projecting one wing of the Republican base onto the entire party, and that’s not fair.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:24:23 AM »

I don’t agree with this. I think you’re projecting one wing of the Republican base onto the entire party, and that’s not fair.

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

I won't bet money on it, however!

<edited to add>
My pessimism is because of how I perceive the right wing mouthpieces to have changed in recent years. National Review, Washington Examiner etc were quite respectable before Obama. They did sometime give platform to dog-whistles, but I never encountered explicit white nationalist propaganda there 10 years ago.
Transformation started once Obama was elected. And I lost all hope once I read an article in National Review, sometime in 2016, where the author argued he was against "immigration" due to "cultural changes". To me, the right wing transformation seems total and complete in the US.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:38:48 AM by ctuser1 »

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »
Trump can fuck it up more today at 3pm.

------
If the virus fades in the summer heat, it won't touch his ratings at all. He'll take it as a sign that he was right and Foxnews will parrot the claim that it was a Democrat hoax. Until Round 2, like the Spanish Flu, returns in the fall.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 09:58:50 AM »
It's sad to see partisans use the situation to try to gain a political advantage.  The people in the White House are not the health experts on this virus.  The best that they can do is to work with Congress to provide Federal funding ($8.5B so far), implement policies which the health experts cannot do themselves (travel bans), and let the experts direct the response.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
Yup, I just hope that he takes Mitch McConnell out with him.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 10:05:29 AM »
The people in the White House are not the health experts on this virus.

Why is that again?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
It's not really Trump's fault.

His government dismantled the whole set of structures and agencies that were designed to provide pandemic response, and all the competent people in his government have either been fired or resigned.  The only people left are toadies and sycophants, who aren't capable of dealing with this problem.  This was inevitable.  Dismantling protections from a pandemic are certainly not the only thing they've damaged . . . it just happens to be the first real crisis that this government has so far run into (that wasn't caused by their own actions).

Why do I argue that it's not Trump's fault?  He has always been a deaf and blind man angrily swinging a baseball bat through the china shop that is politics.  His supporters like him precisely because he was always so wildly unqualified for the job.  This is the fault of every Republican who has enabled Trump to weaken the US in this way.  They are now reaping the fruits of electing, supporting, and enabling a dangerously stupid man in a position where he is in charge of life/death decisions.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
Why do I argue that it's not Trump's fault?  He has always been a deaf and blind man angrily swinging a baseball bat through the china shop that is politics.  His supporters like him precisely because he was always so wildly unqualified for the job.  This is the fault of every Republican who has enabled Trump to weaken the US in this way.  They are now reaping the fruits of electing, supporting, and enabling a dangerously stupid man in a position where he is in charge of life/death decisions.

I half agree, but who were the adults in the room? The senators. I fully expected Mitch McConnell to be the adult in the room and to shepherd Trump out the door a la Nixon. Since that hasn't happened, fuck them all.

austin944

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:12 AM »
The people in the White House are not the health experts on this virus.

Why is that again?

That article quotes a political blogger and a journalist, not health experts.   And they are wrong.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pandemic-work/

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »
Fox really pushed the "It's a hoax!" narrative. Is it just another case of anti-science groupthink?

"Worldwide pandemic? Hogwash! Who ever heard of a 'virus' going around the world? <snort>"

Or CNN, etc., picked up on it first and Fox has to suggest the opposite?

Or Fox's demographic is old people who fear change and this will seriously change their world?

In other words, why the virulent response to a virus quickly spreading around the world?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 11:12:07 AM »
That article quotes a political blogger and a journalist, not health experts.   And they are wrong.

Look what I found on the very first page of Google: I ran the White House pandemic office. Trump closed it. - Beth Cameron is vice president for global biological policy and programs at the Nuclear Threat Initiative. She previously served as the senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council. A position that no longer exists on the NSC.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »

I half agree, but who were the adults in the room? The senators. I fully expected Mitch McConnell to be the adult in the room and to shepherd Trump out the door a la Nixon. Since that hasn't happened, fuck them all.

The senators were doing what their constituents wanted.  Are they supposed to violate the wishes of the people who voted them into office?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
The senators were doing what their constituents wanted.  Are they supposed to violate the wishes of the people who voted them into office?

They were supposed to do what was best for their party and for the country, that's always the point of the upper house. I believe in Canada you talk about this as a "sober second thought?"

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »

If the bolded actually happens, he will lose big, it's his base! His voters are going to die the most.

As with most Trump policies, the people who get screwed the most by them are the people who voted for them.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:12 PM »
Being 25 minutes late (and counting) for a major press conference doesn’t exactly instill confidence.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »
We won't need more than 5 million tests. I'm skeptical of that claim.

But, otherwise, it was a good response. The market certainly liked it.

Edit: Dr. Birx said that an HIV test took 4 years but a Covid19 test took only weeks. The power of the free market! That's rich, especially considering that Pence is standing behind her.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:45:08 PM by bacchi »

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »
The market does seem to like it, though I don't understand why. Does not seem to be much new. If this new rapid testing comes through, that's big but based on the track record of this administration I am skeptical.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
No problem, it is actually Obama's fault.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238410044263333894

For the address, I am on the part where health industry business leaders show up and make it seem like all the great american companies are coming together to rapidly transition the might of american manufacturing towards producing war material to fight those Japanese and Germans!  Oh. I mean test for the Corona virus.  Anyway it'll be just like how great the response was during WWII.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
The market does seem to like it, though I don't understand why.

I guess because there will be testing and the government showed a modicum of organization? Currently listening to Pence gaslighting (I am on a delay) and it is making me ill. Does his tongue get sore from the boot licking?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 02:01:12 PM »
I am not particularly reassured. A serious response is long overdue, and I cannot stomach the bootlicking.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »
I certainly hope so.

Every once in a while, we get a stark reminder that it actually matters that the occupant of the White House knows what the hell he or she is doing.

This is one of those times.

Unfortunately, the right wing misinformation campaigns are robust enough to keep a certain segment of the population snowed.

Let’s hope the rest of us pay attention and act accordingly.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 02:30:23 PM »
I cannot recall a single situation in my lifetime where the federal government so badly fucked up anything in my entire life.
Iraq WMDs

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 02:36:55 PM »
Lots of time for people to forget until November. I for one will forever refer to this man as Donald "I didn't know the flu can kill people" Trump as a gentle reminder.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »
You folks must realize that our health care systems gross inadequacy to meet the demands of this crisis have been decades in the making? Not to excuse any response from the Fed govt, or lack thereof, but every link in our health care system was unprepared. It's great to see Roche develop and bring to market a valid diagnostic for covid in RECORD breaking time. Both lab Corp and quest will have these en masses this weekend. When tshtf, the FDA was able to move nimbly, albeit we did get off to a slow start.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
Of course it's possible that the cornona virus could spell the end of Trump, but it's also possible it could be spun into a major win if the US ends up having a significantly lower number of cases than Europe.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Confirmed Cases by Country/Region/Sovereignty:
80,945 China
15,113 Italy
11,364 Iran
7,979 Korea, South
4,334 Spain
3,156 Germany
2,882 France
1,268 US
1,125 Switzerland
809 Sweden
804 Netherlands
788 Denmark
750 Norway

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
@YttriumNitrate

Which is why Donald "I didn't know the flu kills people" Trump's administration was suppressing testing efforts. But luckily, that can't fly forever in this country.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 03:16:12 PM »
<snip>  albeit we did get off to a slow start.

Understatement of the year.  And from this reporting: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/12/814881355/white-house-knew-coronavirus-would-be-a-major-threat-but-response-fell-short

But at the same time, Secretary Azar has not always given the president the worst-case scenario of what could happen. My understanding is he did not push to do aggressive additional testing in recent weeks, and that's partly because more testing might have led to more cases being discovered of coronavirus outbreak, and the president had made clear - the lower the numbers on coronavirus, the better for the president, the better for his potential reelection this fall.

The top goal here is to keep the reported number of the virus down, not to actually reduce the threat of the virus, if this reporting is correct.  Sounds very much like the Ukraine corruption fiasco, where the top goal was to have the Ukrainians announce an investigation into Joe Biden, whereas the investigation itself is immaterial.  We should not be surprised that this reality TV show star is primarily driven to make things look good for him/bad for his opposition, regardless of how the underlying issue is handled.  And usually, it's hard to actually do something real that makes a difference so they...just didn't.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:19:10 PM by sui generis »

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »
This is the beginning of the end for Trump, the walls are closing in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ab6uxg908

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
I noticed that today Peter Wehner former Reagan, Bush, and W Bush staffer and Senior Fellow at the conservative think tank Ethics and Public Policy Center wrote this opinion piece: The Trump Presidency Is Over.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »
If Americans will vote in Trump despite obvious racism and outright misogyny, they are not going to be worried about a few hundred thousand/million deaths, particularly when the causal link with Trump is not blindingly clear (and has several other factors mixed in).

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 10:58:34 PM »
I noticed that today Peter Wehner former Reagan, Bush, and W Bush staffer and Senior Fellow at the conservative think tank Ethics and Public Policy Center wrote this opinion piece: The Trump Presidency Is Over.

That guy can write!

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 01:41:26 AM »
Well, it's a good thing that we already established that NOTHING the president does to help himself get re-elected is impeachable if he BELIEVES his re-election is in the national interest.  I hope the president and his enablers didn't purposefully avoid testing because they didn't want the numbers to go up.  Yes, we turned down tests from the WHO.  Yes, we refused to allow private labs and hospitals to use their own tests.  Yes, we have Trump on the record at the CDC saying that he wanted to keep people on an infested cruise ship because he liked the numbers where they were - those numbers being actual people infected with a contagious virus.  No, we still aren't testing in significant numbers.  But maybe keeping the numbers low isn't the reason.  I'm am really looking forward to putting the Trump era in the rear-view mirror.  It's not about party affiliation or policies at this point.  It's about empathy, decency and expertise.  Baseball was the one thing I was looking forward to.  But, nope.  It's 2020 so we can't have nice things*

*Not belittling the seriousness of the virus or the necessity to shut everything down.  Everyone stay safe.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2020, 03:45:52 AM »
Trump is a frickin idiot with a wide voter base of other frickin idiots. Have you seen that meme of the east and west coasts of the USA labelled "America" and the rest labelled "Dumbfuckistan"? Dumbfuckistan is a large place. Not sure you can get rid of the king.

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2020, 04:42:10 AM »
It's not really Trump's fault.

His government dismantled the whole set of structures and agencies that were designed to provide pandemic response, and all the competent people in his government have either been fired or resigned.  The only people left are toadies and sycophants, who aren't capable of dealing with this problem.  This was inevitable.  Dismantling protections from a pandemic are certainly not the only thing they've damaged . . . it just happens to be the first real crisis that this government has so far run into (that wasn't caused by their own actions).

Sums it up/. Americans voted him in, say no more.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2020, 06:22:58 AM »
Trump is a frickin idiot with a wide voter base of other frickin idiots. Have you seen that meme of the east and west coasts of the USA labelled "America" and the rest labelled "Dumbfuckistan"? Dumbfuckistan is a large place. Not sure you can get rid of the king.

Many of us who live in Dumbfuckistan didn't vote for him and are doing everything in our power to make him a one-term president.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2020, 06:29:12 AM »

This is the kind of attitude that got Trump elected.  When will we learn?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 06:32:28 AM »
If Americans will vote in Trump despite obvious racism and outright misogyny, they are not going to be worried about a few hundred thousand/million deaths, particularly when the causal link with Trump is not blindingly clear (and has several other factors mixed in).

The racism and misogyny are a feature not a bug.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »

This is remarkably counterproductive rhetoric, and is part of the reason Trump is in the White House right now.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2020, 06:55:51 AM »

This is the kind of attitude that got Trump elected.  When will we learn?
Nahh, people didn't vote for Trump because they thought it would be pointed out to them how aweful he is. Trump is a product of a system that has been failing the middle/lower class for decades. Remember Bernie and Trump were arguably the most popular candidates in 2016 because they railed against the system and were considered "outsiders." Bernie was certainly more popular than Trump and was predicted to mop the floor with him. Unfortunately when Clinton got the nomination many Bernie supporters stayed home or voted Trump. This has been beaten into the ground. If people are going to vote for Trump because somebody insulted them, then they probably aren't very intelligent. I mean let's be honest here.

The Carnivorous response from this administration was to be expected. Did anyone really think Trump would step up to be a leader during an extreme crisis? I sure didn't. That's never been one of his redeeming qualities. He commands loyalty, pushes people around and knows how to manipulate to get what he wants. He is a narcissist who never takes responsibility for his actions. He lies to the public, even while people are getting sick and dying. A good leader possesses none of these qualities. He is not good at unifying. Hopefully just enough people can now finally see this to tip the scales and get this failed experiment out of office.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:58:05 AM by MasterStache »

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »
I remember the 2005 Hurricane Katrina disaster, and similar lack of coordinated response from the Fed government.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5183478

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2020, 08:04:21 AM »
This is where I think Donald Trump's personal situation could play an outsized role.  We don't know Donald Trump's current financial situation.  He may or may not be the owner of a series of hotels and golf resorts.  He may or may not be in a ton of debt.  Hotels and golf resorts tend not to do well when there is an ongoing viral outbreak.  There is a chance that the virus was being downplayed because he didn't/doesn't want people to stop staying at his properties/resorts.  He may or may not have business interruption insurance that covers pandemics.  The economic stimulus package may or may not get filtered through the lens of "will this help me and my family with our business interests."  Trust and credibility are going to be very important over the next few months.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
It is sickening watching how politicized this pandemic has become. This is truly a time for people to set aside their differences and work as members of the same human race to overcome something bigger, more impactful, and immediate than politics.

Instead, we are getting misinformation and outright lies from our government.
We are getting press conferences where CEOs are paraded out to tell the POTUS how wonderful he is when all we have had is obstruction and lies (clarifying that I am referring ONLY to a lack of testing to determine the breadth and severity of this pandemic, and the lies about basic information that the general population needs to stay safe).
It is clear now more than ever that the administration cares about wealth over health.

It is so incredibly short-sighted.
People will die, and he will shirk all responsibility, saying VPOTUS was in charge, when POTUS has been doing all of the tweeting, press conferences, etc.

His ego knows no bounds.

Now more than ever we need testing and transparency. There are already almost twice as many confirmed cases this morning (2,175 as of 10:12am EST) as there were yesterday afternoon (1,268 2:38 PM EST), and still almost no testing being performed. We need leadership, and we don't have it.

Case in point:

Trump sends signed chart showing stock market gains to supporters after he declared coronavirus a national emergency

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/politics/trump-stock-market-gains-signed-photo/index.html