Author Topic: Coronavirus is the End of Trump  (Read 52648 times)

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
Re: Coronavirus is the End of Trump
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
Big news in Germany right now that the Trump administration is attempting to acquire a German-developed vaccine for US use only.  Who wants to place bets on whether he wanted to take credit for a "US developed vaccine only available to Americans," charge out the ass for it and rake in the big bucks, or some of both.

Earlier, the Welt am Sonntag German newspaper reported that U.S. President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

Responding to the report, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, wrote on Twitter: “The Welt story was wrong.”

A U.S. official said: “This story is wildly overplayed ... We will continue to talk to any company that claims to be able to help. And any solution found would be shared with the world.”

A German Health Ministry spokeswoman, confirming a quote in the newspaper, said: “The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-us-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV

The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2020, 09:33:54 PM »
Big news in Germany right now that the Trump administration is attempting to acquire a German-developed vaccine for US use only.  Who wants to place bets on whether he wanted to take credit for a "US developed vaccine only available to Americans," charge out the ass for it and rake in the big bucks, or some of both.

Earlier, the Welt am Sonntag German newspaper reported that U.S. President Donald Trump had offered funds to lure CureVac to the United States, and the German government was making counter-offers to tempt it to stay.

Responding to the report, the U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, wrote on Twitter: “The Welt story was wrong.”

A U.S. official said: “This story is wildly overplayed ... We will continue to talk to any company that claims to be able to help. And any solution found would be shared with the world.”

A German Health Ministry spokeswoman, confirming a quote in the newspaper, said: “The German government is very interested in ensuring that vaccines and active substances against the new coronavirus are also developed in Germany and Europe.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-germany-usa/germany-tries-to-stop-us-from-luring-away-firm-seeking-coronavirus-vaccine-idUSKBN2120IV

The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/15/trump-offers-large-sums-for-exclusive-access-to-coronavirus-vaccine

I posted this earlier and an american told me it was fake news!

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »

In America, any news you disagree with is fake news. So, it depends on the American you asked/told you.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Any news that doesn't portray Trump as a anointed saintly angel is fake news.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2020, 10:12:54 PM »
Any news that doesn't portray Trump as a anointed saintly angel is fake news.

He looks like someone annointed him with gravy powder.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2020, 10:22:24 PM »
Is it too late to get Obama back in office?

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
Trump is a frickin idiot with a wide voter base of other frickin idiots. Have you seen that meme of the east and west coasts of the USA labelled "America" and the rest labelled "Dumbfuckistan"? Dumbfuckistan is a large place. Not sure you can get rid of the king.

This is remarkably counterproductive rhetoric, and is part of the reason Trump is in the White House right now.
Agree.

Kyle S. has also warned of the fruitlessness  of  abrasive rhetoric.
It's defeatist as well.  The rhetoric suggests that there's no point in trying to make things better.  People are not born Republican or Democratic.  Everyone who wants more than just "my team vs your team" rhetoric needs to figure out how to make politics local again.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2020, 10:34:58 PM »
I do believe that this will be the end of Trump (although I'm far from certain).

I would credit my opinion to how poorly his administration has handled the situation, but more importantly to the fact that this has impacted people directly. They're upset and they'll be even more upset after a few weeks/months without entertainment and travel, being sick, watching their savings fall, and losing loved ones. People need someone to blame when they're upset and the president is always a prime target, especially when he actually is part of the problem.

I think we, who care enough about politics to discuss them on the internet with strangers, drastically overestimate how closely some voters pay attention. Many don't vote based on logic or the issues, they vote on emotion. I think that applies to enough people to kill Trump's chance of re-election. We'll see.

And yet.... you have a cheeto for a president.

We’re well aware, thanks. As I stated above, not all of us who live in “Dumbfuckistan,” as per your term, voted for him or will ever vote for him. Rather, we have been doing everything in our power to vote out his party (as we did in my state in 2018) and to make him a one-term president. I understand that you’re panicked, as are many, but does it really help to insult many of your fellow forummers?

Dumbfuckistan isn't my term - I took it from a common meme, as I pointed out in the original post. Also, I don't mean to insult you or fellow forummers. I understand that there's a huge difference between the american people and 'Merica. I'v never met an american who wasn't a lovely, warm and friendly person, but 'Merica is something I loathe. You and other forummers are strictly in my american people category. Dumbfuckistan is a place in 'Merica. I hope that makes sense, because I really don't mean to offend you guys individually.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2020, 01:42:34 AM »
Dumbfuckistan isn't my term - I took it from a common meme, as I pointed out in the original post. Also, I don't mean to insult you or fellow forummers. I understand that there's a huge difference between the american people and 'Merica. I'v never met an american who wasn't a lovely, warm and friendly person, but 'Merica is something I loathe. You and other forummers are strictly in my american people category. Dumbfuckistan is a place in 'Merica. I hope that makes sense, because I really don't mean to offend you guys individually.

And yet you have had several people tell you it was rude and divisive. So maybe stop and think instead of doubling down?

Explaining the thinking behind a post is hardly doubling down. Meanwhile, either take it the way it was intended or don't. Won't impact my day one iota.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2020, 03:18:26 AM »

And yet you have had several people tell you it was rude and divisive. So maybe stop and think instead of doubling down?

Explaining the thinking behind a post is hardly doubling down. Meanwhile, either take it the way it was intended or don't. Won't impact my day one iota.

Meh. I’m an American, and I agree with Anna about Merica.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2020, 05:18:49 AM »
“Dumbfuckistan” generalization is wrong, like all stereotypes are.

Reaction to that stereotype is just as much warranted as the “make liberals cry” t-shirts in the Trump rallies.

If there is someone who was just as much upset about the right wing war against decency and what they call “political correctness”, something that started way before the “dumbfukistan” meme, then they have my full support.

If someone is selectively outraged by the ‘dumbfukistan’ meme, but found no issues with many other outrageous stereotypes the right and their orange chief spews, then they can be safely ignored as common snowflakes.

I probably have a defeatist perspective here. I suspect that you can’t really fix partisan snowflakes. It takes a certain degree of EQ to be able to empathize with others, yet more with others who don’t look like you, and you can’t manufacture that in large groups of people who has been trained to replace empathy with manufactured outrage.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:23:47 AM by ctuser1 »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
“Dumbfuckistan” generalization is wrong, like all stereotypes are.

Yes, but at the same time it is pertinent to this discussion about the end of Trump, or Trumpism, or the US dollar as the global reserve currency. We can only screw up so much and be the leader of the free world, eventually people will sell our bonds and tell us to pound sand. I fear that point is getting close.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2020, 07:26:19 AM »
Trump is a frickin idiot with a wide voter base of other frickin idiots. Have you seen that meme of the east and west coasts of the USA labelled "America" and the rest labelled "Dumbfuckistan"? Dumbfuckistan is a large place. Not sure you can get rid of the king.

This is the kind of attitude that got Trump elected.  When will we learn?

The attitude of a middle aged woman in New Zealand did not get Trump elected, sorry. You people did that all on your own. I hear about your weird voter system that allowed a twit like him to win when apparently nobody voted for him. Guess what? Also your fault. You managed to "accidentally" get the guy in, and nothing you've done is likely to get him out. It'll be no surprise at all to me that Planet Yank has managed to vote him in for a second term. Hell, you might even change the laws and let him play at being president for the next 20 years. This is what the rest of the world knows - individually, even in small groups, Americans are some of the nicest and smartest people on earth. Collectively? All bets are off. Gun laws, health care, international wars, Dumbfuckistan for the win! Trump is really just a big old orange cherry on top.

Well, if you're not even in the US, I guess your ignorance can be excused.  For your own education, you can see that there is plenty of blue spread throughout the country, and plenty of red on the coasts.
https://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2020, 10:34:34 AM »

This is the kind of attitude that got Trump elected.  When will we learn?

The attitude of a middle aged woman in New Zealand did not get Trump elected, sorry. You people did that all on your own. I hear about your weird voter system that allowed a twit like him to win when apparently nobody voted for him. Guess what? Also your fault. You managed to "accidentally" get the guy in, and nothing you've done is likely to get him out. It'll be no surprise at all to me that Planet Yank has managed to vote him in for a second term. Hell, you might even change the laws and let him play at being president for the next 20 years. This is what the rest of the world knows - individually, even in small groups, Americans are some of the nicest and smartest people on earth. Collectively? All bets are off. Gun laws, health care, international wars, Dumbfuckistan for the win! Trump is really just a big old orange cherry on top.

Well, if you're not even in the US, I guess your ignorance can be excused.  For your own education, you can see that there is plenty of blue spread throughout the country, and plenty of red on the coasts.
https://brilliantmaps.com/2016-county-election-map/

Yes, and even that map is misleading...I am in one of the reddest of the red counties in the middle, but almost one third of the county still voted for Clinton in 2016. And that's true across a lot of the red counties.  And vice versa. That's why the popular vote in the U.S. is usually quite close. It wasn't that "nobody voted for Trump" but somehow he got elected.  Tons of people voted for him, and even more people voted for Clinton. But we have winner take all electoral college, and Trump got more state delegates.  It is a crazy system, but it doesn't result in candidates with no support winning.  It CAN result in candidates with a not-quite-majority of popular votes winning, as happened here and a few other times.   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:39:13 AM by wenchsenior »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »
So over the last 24 hours Trump has spent a lot of time babbling about pardoning Michael Flynn.  Because that's an important use of his time, platform and the nation's attention.  This while the markets have yet again triggered a pause in trading today and "his" one great achievement is supposed to be how great the economy is under his administration?  Not to mention the many other priorities he could be working on or at the least bringing much-needed attention to.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Still waiting for further confirmation, but NY Times just posted this:

President Trump told a group of governors Monday morning that they should not wait for the federal government to fill the growing demand for respirators needed to help people diagnosed with coronavirus.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/world/coronavirus-news.html

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:51 AM »
I suspect it's because it finally became reality to him. Seeing fellow world leaders get it, possibly? Or big business is reacting faster than the US government? Or maybe he or Pence have it.

Nope.  Yesterday at the presser he said "we have tremendous control (over COVID19)."  His first instinct is to lie about everything.  He clearly does not understand the seriousness of the situation. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2020, 11:30:13 AM »
I suspect it's because it finally became reality to him. Seeing fellow world leaders get it, possibly? Or big business is reacting faster than the US government? Or maybe he or Pence have it.

Nope.  Yesterday at the presser he said "we have tremendous control (over COVID19)."  His first instinct is to lie about everything.  He clearly does not understand the seriousness of the situation.

Of course not. He has never faced serious consequences for anything in his life.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »

Of course not. He has never faced serious consequences for anything in his life.

This is what happens when you get a million dollars at age 12.

We can't deny that declaring a national emergency isn't a good idea. It's weeks late but he did announce it. On 3rd thought, maybe he finally agreed to do something because of market gyrations and the hit to the economy. As sui noted ^^^, that is his greatest accomplishment.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
I live in "Dumbfuckistan."  It's LCOL compared to the coasts, but you do have to go your own way culturally if you are not right-wing.  I can get by pretty easily because I am white, male, heterosexual, Christian, and fairly well-off.  Others have a more difficult time.  I don't consider my neighbors to be literal dumb-fucks, more like misinformed or perhaps un-enlightened. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »
My father is a right leaning independent in a 'Dumfuckistan' swing state that went narrowly for Trump. My father voted for Trump.  My father is also an atheist-leaning agnostic, who just announced to me that he wishes Trump would get the virus and die. Not only does Trump deserve it, but then Dad might actually be persuaded there was a god LOL. 

So there you go. Even dumfuckistanians can learn, apparently.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
I live in "Dumbfuckistan."  It's LCOL compared to the coasts, but you do have to go your own way culturally if you are not right-wing.  I can get by pretty easily because I am white, male, heterosexual, Christian, and fairly well-off.  Others have a more difficult time.  I don't consider my neighbors to be literal dumb-fucks, more like misinformed or perhaps un-enlightened.
Where I grew up in West Michigan, being a republican was a thing for a lot of people, myself included, not so much because you actually agreed with their policies necessarily, but because "you can't out-vote Detroit" (there's some racism in that statement I didn't appreciate when I was younger), and electing republicans gave a feeling of having a voice. I personally was never a registered republican, but voted that way more often than not. Age and distance and now I can't imagine myself ever voting for a Republican again personally. Kind of the antithesis of that Churchill quote heart/brains.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
So Trump got on TV again at 3:30 this afternoon, and the DJIA started dropping as soon as he started talking. He couldn’t wait till 4:00?

Does anyone think he’s playing this to short the market so he and his buds can profit?

To answer the OPs statement, I thought “grab ‘em by the pussy” was the end. We know how that turned out.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2020, 02:21:28 PM »
Does anyone think he’s playing this to short the market so he and his buds can profit?

I think he created the virus (maybe under contract with China) because he thought it would secure him the presidency if he came up with a cure really fast, but then the german biotech company he had contacted to make a cure decided to cheat him because they are selling it to Russia.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
So Trump got on TV again at 3:30 this afternoon, and the DJIA started dropping as soon as he started talking. He couldn’t wait till 4:00?

To answer the OPs statement, I thought “grab ‘em by the pussy” was the end. We know how that turned out.
I did an off-schedule rebalance to the tune of $15K today. Thanks Donald "I didn't know the flu kills people" Trump!

Edit: I forgot to refer to Donald "I didn't know the flu kills people" Trump by his full name.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2020, 04:10:53 PM »

I'm sure Trump is very upset, hurt, and furious inside about what is happening with the coronavirus.

Oh, not because of the pain, suffering, and death of Americans, but because of how it reflects on him and his chances of getting re-elected.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »

Markets were tripping over circuit-breakers today over and over again. That creates it's own volatility because all pricing and indexing algo's go heyware.

e.g. real world example from a commodities index for which I had written back-end code before the 2008 crisis:
circuit breaker -> no more price signal -> try to infer price signals from options market -> if that is not available, have the head trader mark some "fair price" after getting sign-off from 15 people.

In all these, volatility would skyrocket.

So my horse-sense is that today's volatility probably because of technical reasons and Trump had little to contribute. I heard the gist of what he said on CNBC - and it seems like he is now much more somber and acknowledging this to be a serious crisis. That (i.e. that fact that he is acting less like a petulant kid and more like a grown-up capable of stopping himself from reflexively lying) would count more as a positive.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
I wonder if Trump will send autographed charts to his followers after today's market?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2020, 05:04:52 PM »
I wonder if Trump will send autographed charts to his followers after today's market?

*laughs in coronavirus*

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »

I'm sure Trump is very upset, hurt, and furious inside about what is happening with the coronavirus.

Oh, not because of the pain, suffering, and death of Americans, but because of how it reflects on him and his chances of getting re-elected.

I dunno, seems like he thinks he's done so well at this that he is probably thinking his chances are better than ever!  He's given himself a 10 out of 10 rating on how well he's performed (this is my shocked face). https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/487883-trump-gives-himself-10-out-of-10-on-coronavirus-response

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »

I dunno, seems like he thinks he's done so well at this that he is probably thinking his chances are better than ever!  He's given himself a 10 out of 10 rating on how well he's performed (this is my shocked face). https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/487883-trump-gives-himself-10-out-of-10-on-coronavirus-response

He's overcompensating for his real failures.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2020, 06:11:47 PM »

He's overcompensating for his real failures.

It's possible that he's lived such a mediocre life that this really is a shining success from his perspective.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
Sheesh !
Some of you guys would blame a flat tire on Trump.

It's not like Biden or Bernie have anything up their sleeves to cure the virus and turn this around.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
Bernie would tax the virus to death.

Besides, if we had a flat tire, Trump would have the best spare, I mean a really great spare.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
Sheesh !

It's not like Biden or Bernie have anything up their sleeves to cure the virus and turn this around.

Huh. Anybody other than the Cheeto Chief would have *many* major superpowers that could have helped us:
1. Not claiming this is a liberal/conservative/sith conspiracy.
2. Not twiddling their thumbs for weeks and letting the virus establish a foothold in the US - you know, by crossing the ocean for f*ck's sake.
3. Not firing the pandemic response team set up for *exactly* this situation.
4. Not filling up the government with dumbf*cks who doesn't know their a*se from their head, with the side benefits like testing kits would actually work.

etc. etc. etc.

You know, kinda like how Obama dealt with Ebola.

Didn't you know, not being stupid is a major superpower in dumbfuckistan. Not being incompetent on top of that is a Thanos level power.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
Have to say, I feel very sorry for the USA in general, and Dumbfuckistan in particular. I'm sure everyone who did vote for Trump did so with the best of intentions..... and now you have a cheeto in control of the zombie apocalypse. No one could have anticipated this and certainly no one deserves it.

MOD NOTE: Adding this is rude to a large segment of the population, whatever you think of them, and doesn't contribute to the conversation. Please stop.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:46:02 PM by arebelspy »

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:02 PM »
My father is a right leaning independent in a 'Dumfuckistan' swing state that went narrowly for Trump. My father voted for Trump.  My father is also an atheist-leaning agnostic, who just announced to me that he wishes Trump would get the virus and die. Not only does Trump deserve it, but then Dad might actually be persuaded there was a god LOL. 

Is it safe to say that four years ago he said "I could never vote for Hillary!" while looking around for his cronies' nodding heads. Never mind that she had been a successful senator. Never mind that she had been the hardest working Secretary of State, ever. No. He voted for Trump with the idea  that he knew nothing and was a 'Washington Outsider'. A self-made man, a  businessman.

And is now rethinking that regrettable choice.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »
I'm not sure any incumbent has much chance of reelection after this crisis is past.  People who survive a major crisis tend to want to move on, no matter how well the leadership may have done (see: Churchill and most other Allied war leaders losing immediately after the war.  Truman got a pass because he was not FDR).

Trump hasn't been doing himself any favours by clinging to his belief that he could lie and bluster his way through a tsunami of harsh reality. 

If the worst case, or even the medium case scenarios come to pass on this pandemic I think Trump will be lucky to make it to November with his head still attached to his body. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:52:14 PM by rocketpj »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:44 AM »
Sheesh !

No one is blaming the virus on Trump. It's simply being pointed out the slow reaction times, the blatant lies, the "let's sweep this under the rug since it might hurt my chances at re-election" attitude. You can support Trump all you want because you like his personality or his policy positions or whatever. But he is not a leader. Never has been and never will be. He is very good a dictating, but that's not a trait of a good leader.

I firmly believe literally any other 2016 candidate (Republican or Dem) would have done an exponentially better job than Trump.   
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:48:12 AM by MasterStache »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2020, 07:11:42 AM »
Sheesh !

No one is blaming the virus on Trump. It's simply being pointed out the slow reaction times, the blatant lies, the "let's sweep this under the rug since it might hurt my chances at re-election" attitude. You can support Trump all you want because you like his personality or his policy positions or whatever. But he is not a leader. Never has been and never will be. He is very good a dictating, but that's not a trait of a good leader.

I firmly believe literally any other 2016 candidate (Republican or Dem) would have done an exponentially better job than Trump.  

If for no other reason than they would have just acknowledged it as a threat timely and not cut the CDC. It wouldn't have taken much in this case to do exponentially better. We were hamstrung from the start.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:16 AM »
Sheesh !

As do I. At this point, I’m pretty sure Mike Pence would have done a much better job on his own, without having to seek permission from Trump and Family.

ctuser1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2020, 07:23:30 AM »
Don’t forget how his obsession on the markets meant that the fed and the federal government has *much* less firepower to address the economic fallout.

Imagine an alternative world where Trump did not jawbone the fed into cutting rates right in the middle of the longest economic expansion on record. Market said “meh!” To a 1% rate cut. Would it have said meh! To a 3% one?

Imagine again that trumps cronies and billionaires were not given a $2T handout after “borrowing” the money from my and your kids generation (what is borrowing without permission called, again?). Could that money, perhaps, be spent on tackling the economic impact of COVID-19?

But the Cheeto chief is not the disease, just the symptom.

Why?

Imagine again the world where trillions of dollars were spent on US local economy, instead of chasing the weapons of mass “distraction”.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
I think that the Trump Presidency will very much still be going on if one or more SCOTUS justices contract this virus and cannot serve anymore.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:14 AM »
1. The man that led the pandemic task force says that current staffing is up to the task. Anyone saying otherwise is misrepresenting the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/#click=https://t.co/9DSuJbU8Cy

2. Republicans are less concerned because quarantine fits into their habits better. Buy a few extra supplies when you go grocery shopping. Your nearest neighbor could be a quarter mile away and you haven't talked to them in weeks.

3. Democrats won't be able to capitalize on the virus because one front runner has had a heart attack and the other seems to be confused half the time. They should run someone younger and healthy to reassure people. Too late for that.

4. The advantage they had in healthcare is dwindling. Running on socialized healthcare is going to get smacked with images of Italy abandoning people to die.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/europe/12italy-coronavirus-health-care.html

And any calculations for socialized care were made on the fact they could be made cheap in China. Now with pushes to reshore those industries all those figures can be thrown out the window.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/business/economy/coronavirus-china-trump-drugs.html

Granted things might change but right now I doubt the virus will topple Trump.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »

In America, any news you disagree with is fake news. So, it depends on the American you asked/told you.
*Only if you're right-leaning. Very few on the left respond simply "fake news".

A guy called fake news un-ironically on an article that showed up on my Facebook feed. The publication you might ask? The Onion. Calling fake news on an "article" from the onion - the onion should write an article about that actually.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2020, 09:32:09 AM »

Is it safe to say that four years ago he said "I could never vote for Hillary!" while looking around for his cronies' nodding heads. Never mind that she had been a successful senator. Never mind that she had been the hardest working Secretary of State, ever. No. He voted for Trump with the idea  that he knew nothing and was a 'Washington Outsider'. A self-made man, a  businessman.

And is now rethinking that regrettable choice.

Close.  Yes, he despised Hillary for unclear 'reasons' (probably sexism, since he voted for Bill Clinton at least once).  My father made his living by starting and running a (small time, but very successful) real estate company and has always been obsessed with the idea that a businessman should be president.  He also seemed to not ever get the memo that Trump wasn't nearly as successful a businessperson as his advertising claimed (he claims he had no idea about all the bankruptcies or all the shady loans from Russian banks, etc).  I strongly suspect my father watches a lot of Fox news, which would explain the latter gaps in his knowledge. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:45:04 AM by wenchsenior »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2020, 10:12:09 AM »
1. The man that led the pandemic task force says that current staffing is up to the task. Anyone saying otherwise is misrepresenting the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/16/no-white-house-didnt-dissolve-its-pandemic-response-office/#click=https://t.co/9DSuJbU8Cy

Even the woman that led it? To be fair, the Washington Post publish opposing op-eds by the different former senior directors of global health security and biodefense on the National Security Council. The truth is probably in the middle, but accepting one of the claims while saying that the other claim is "misrepresenting the situation" seems pretty low.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »

Even the woman that led it? To be fair, the Washington Post publish opposing op-eds by the different former senior directors of global health security and biodefense on the National Security Council. The truth is probably in the middle, but accepting one of the claims while saying that the other claim is "misrepresenting the situation" seems pretty low.

Or I didn't see that one yet. That is why we have conversations. To convey information.

Sounds like we have two conflicting accounts.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2020, 11:19:50 AM »
Or I didn't see that one yet. That is why we have conversations. To convey information.

That's fair. It is posted on page one of this thread.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

*Only if you're right-leaning. Very few on the left respond simply "fake news".

A guy called fake news un-ironically on an article that showed up on my Facebook feed. The publication you might ask? The Onion. Calling fake news on an "article" from the onion - the onion should write an article about that actually.

To be fair, it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between reality and satire. I've often done double-takes on Onion and Borowitz Report headlines in my Facebook newsfeed because they're almost plausible.