Author Topic: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President  (Read 115901 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Continuing outrages related to our 45th President
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »

There doesn't really seem to be a way out of this. Time for the west coast and north east to seperate and join Canada and the form the new global superpower.

Are you sure you want to join us?  We are radical lefties compared to you.  We have independent commissions set riding boundaries.  Do you understand the parliamentary system?  Can you live with the PM (you do know what PM stands for, eh?) being elected by his/her riding, not everyone?  And - Remember abortion is a done deal, despite the Conservatives.  Universal Health Care (not free, paid for by taxes).  Relatively low cost higher education.  And higher taxes, generally.  Oh, and bilingual, how is your French?  Are you polite?  Do you know how to say "sorry"?  Do you line up well?  Do you wear your mask always, and properly?  Do you understand hockey?  Can you start inserting "u" in all the proper places - honour, colour, flavour, etc.  Do you know what a double-double is?  Can you pass the citizenship test?

And of course that assumes we want you.   ;-)     Sorry.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »

There doesn't really seem to be a way out of this. Time for the west coast and north east to seperate and join Canada and the form the new global superpower.

Are you sure you want to join us?  We are radical lefties compared to you.  We have independent commissions set riding boundaries.  Do you understand the parliamentary system?  Can you live with the PM (you do know what PM stands for, eh?) being elected by his/her riding, not everyone?  And - Remember abortion is a done deal, despite the Conservatives.  Universal Health Care (not free, paid for by taxes).  Relatively low cost higher education.  And higher taxes, generally.  Oh, and bilingual, how is your French?  Are you polite?  Do you know how to say "sorry"?  Do you line up well?  Do you wear your mask always, and properly?  Do you understand hockey?  Can you start inserting "u" in all the proper places - honour, colour, flavour, etc.  Do you know what a double-double is?  Can you pass the citizenship test?

We've got devolution now here in the UK, you could always come directly back to the mothership rather than attaching yourself to a satellite organisation.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »

Man, I wish this was the only test. If you could just take it at the border, I'd be in. I'm even bilingual.

Sigh... daydreaming...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »

Yes on all accounts (except most would consider my French to be “adequate, but just”
Can I come back??

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »

It's way worse than that. There is also the Great Canadian Cheese Embargo.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »

I don't think that the west coast even needs Canada unless they want to dominate international politics the way the USA has. Economically they would be just fine.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »

I don't think that the west coast even needs Canada unless they want to dominate international politics the way the USA has. Economically they would be just fine.

I don't think the west coast could dominate international politics without access to our 45 million kg global strategic maple syrup reserve.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2021, 12:43:14 PM »

I don't think the west coast could dominate international politics without access to our 45 million kg global strategic maple syrup reserve.

Will there even be any syrup left by the time that we could merge the countries?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2021, 12:45:53 PM »

Will there even be any syrup left by the time that we could merge the countries?

I don't believe it.  We must stomp all over the real syrup with Aunt Jemima before shipping it out.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »

Yes on all accounts (except most would consider my French to be “adequate, but just”
Can I come back??

You're an honourary Canadian anyway, sure.   ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »

Dairy, always an issue.  ;-)

I laugh when I see dietary advice to look for BGH free labels on milk and other dairy.  There are no labels like that here, because all our dairy is BGH free.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2021, 01:46:41 PM »

True, both the west coast and east coast could be viable countries.  Lots of population, lots of resources, seacoast access for shipping.   And central southern states that didn't want to go would still have the Gulf of Mexico.  What happens to the central and northern states?  They would have the most difficult decisions. 

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2021, 02:02:20 PM »

I laugh when I see dietary advice to look for BGH free labels on milk and other dairy.  There are no labels like that here, because all our dairy is BGH free.

I should hope not, if your cows don't produce any growth hormone, you've got some unhealthy cows.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »

I should hope not, if your cows don't produce any growth hormone, you've got some unhealthy cows.

Nah, we give 'em chicken hormone up here.  The milk tastes a little funny, but six eggs will feed a football team.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »

I don't believe it.  We must stomp all over the real syrup with Aunt Jemima before shipping it out.

I distinctly remember you confessing to preferring the artificial stuff over real Canadian maple syrup.  Admit it!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »
I don't think this helps Trump or Republicans. Polls taken show something like 75% of Americans support upholding Roe v. Wade. I understand they feel like it's this huge, cultural war win for them...but I think all it will end up doing is motivating Democrats and Independents to come out and vote most likely

Where do those 75% live? Unless they're in swing states and can flip a couple Senate seats, it doesn't matter how many Americans support it. Liberal voters already outnumber Conservatives by a comfortable margin. They just live in the wrong states.

That said, if it were to be overturned, the GOP would lose one of their main campaign issues/things to complain about. You won! Now what?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2021, 06:27:23 AM »
I don't think this helps Trump or Republicans. Polls taken show something like 75% of Americans support upholding Roe v. Wade. I understand they feel like it's this huge, cultural war win for them...but I think all it will end up doing is motivating Democrats and Independents to come out and vote most likely

I know a lot of very pro-life people, and they are absolutely ok with losing elections for a long time going forward in exchange for getting rid of Roe. It is their #1 issue in all of American politics.

I mean, the whole point of politics is to enact policies you want. Winning elections is just a means to your policy ends, unless you're such a red team/blue team partisan that the actual issues don't matter to you as much as "owning" the libs/repubs/whoever.

Americans (myself included) tend to have mixed/messy feelings about abortion. I don't think we'll much of a reaction electorally, honestly, since the most motivated people on both sides of the debate were already basically locks to show up and vote for their respective parties. The mushy middle will vote based on the economy/gas prices/inflation like always.

I'll also throw this in - I blame RBG as much as anyone. She was a very smart person and should have known that rolling the dice and not retiring during the Obama administration as a frail 70-something cancer survivor was a pretty stupid idea. But I assume power and prestige and ego are hard to set aside, and now we see the results.

-W

Imagine if Obama had managed to pull some rabbit out of a hat in 2016, persuading Ginsberg to retire and (Biden in the background) brokering a compromise with McConnell in which at two Justice Slate--one liberal and one conservative--were confirmed in October 2016?

My guess is Obama didn't think he needed to even try it because he expected a Democratic successor.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »

I distinctly remember you confessing to preferring the artificial stuff over real Canadian maple syrup.  Admit it!

It's my secret shame as a Canadian.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2021, 08:12:27 AM »

I know a lot of very pro-life people, and they are absolutely ok with losing elections for a long time going forward in exchange for getting rid of Roe. It is their #1 issue in all of American politics.

I mean, the whole point of politics is to enact policies you want. Winning elections is just a means to your policy ends, unless you're such a red team/blue team partisan that the actual issues don't matter to you as much as "owning" the libs/repubs/whoever.

Americans (myself included) tend to have mixed/messy feelings about abortion. I don't think we'll much of a reaction electorally, honestly, since the most motivated people on both sides of the debate were already basically locks to show up and vote for their respective parties. The mushy middle will vote based on the economy/gas prices/inflation like always.

I'll also throw this in - I blame RBG as much as anyone. She was a very smart person and should have known that rolling the dice and not retiring during the Obama administration as a frail 70-something cancer survivor was a pretty stupid idea. But I assume power and prestige and ego are hard to set aside, and now we see the results.

-W

Imagine if Obama had managed to pull some rabbit out of a hat in 2016, persuading Ginsberg to retire and (Biden in the background) brokering a compromise with McConnell in which at two Justice Slate--one liberal and one conservative--were confirmed in October 2016?

My guess is Obama didn't think he needed to even try it because he expected a Democratic successor.

Ah yes, the old West Wing maneuver. I doubt McConnel would've gone for it. in the leadup to the election Trump's victory appeared unlikely, but McConnel gambled that even if Trump lost, the worst case scenario would be a Garrland-like option with HRC as president.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2021, 08:13:25 AM »

True, both the west coast and east coast could be viable countries.  Lots of population, lots of resources, seacoast access for shipping.   And central southern states that didn't want to go would still have the Gulf of Mexico.  What happens to the central and northern states? They would have the most difficult decisions.

The can choose their dreams: either The Christian Repblic of 'Murica or the Libertarian Paradise Somalia II.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/01/a-final-assessment-of-the-trump-presidency-and-the-path-forward/

@Samuel posted this lengthy article over on the other page. Much to chew on, although the author certainly doesn't want to talk about the Jan. 6 sacking of the Capitol.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2021, 09:24:12 AM »

We are incredibly forgiving here, we haven't even suggested revoking your Canadian citizenship.   ;-)  Of course the best maple syrup is boiled down and poured over snow to make maple taffy.  Or poured over everything at a cabane a sucre - good appetites when one has hiked all over the sugar bush first and visited the boil shack.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2021, 01:34:54 PM »

We are incredibly forgiving here, we haven't even suggested revoking your Canadian citizenship.   ;-)  Of course the best maple syrup is boiled down and poured over snow to make maple taffy.  Or poured over everything at a cabane a sucre - good appetites when one has hiked all over the sugar bush first and visited the boil shack.

Next you're going to try to convince me that dark vinegar is better than white.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2021, 03:17:36 PM »

Hunh?  Dark vinegar exists?  There is regular (white) vinegar, stronger white vinegar (pickling vinegar), apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and maybe others my grocery stores don't carry.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »

Hunh?  Dark vinegar exists?  There is regular (white) vinegar, stronger white vinegar (pickling vinegar), apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and maybe others my grocery stores don't carry.
Malt vinegar, traditional for fish and chips.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2021, 04:50:08 PM »

Malt vinegar, traditional for fish and chips.

We just use white vinegar for fries/chips.  I just looked up malt vinegar and it is definitely dark!

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2021, 07:23:04 AM »
There's also black vinegar (or Zhenjiang vinegar), which is also malty and delicious in a stir-fry.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
Politico: ‘A real fight for our existence’: Massachusetts GOP spirals in Baker exit

“It’s a battle for the soul of the party,” former GOP state party chair Jennifer Nassour, a Baker ally, said in an interview.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2021, 12:30:23 PM »
Sort of on topic, since he is a strong T**** supporter - what the hell is in Thomas Massie's brain, assuming he has one?  That picture! And comment!  The lack of empathy is stunning.  Some of our GOP-mimicking Conservatives have pulled some boners, but this is truly epic.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
GAWD! With so many things to be fascinated with in this world and these people choose GUNS! Of course I recognize they are signaling with their guns but whatever. So tone deaf.

I have so many hobby things I'd like to talk about with my friends. An't none of them my guns.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2021, 03:44:42 PM »
GAWD! With so many things to be fascinated with in this world and these people choose GUNS! Of course I recognize they are signaling with their guns but whatever. So tone deaf.

I have so many hobby things I'd like to talk about with my friends. An't none of them my guns.

It is all signalling, I gather - very strong NRA supporters.  But right after the school shooting?  Massive lack of empathy.  I do trust he has had all his children learn gun safety, because that is a household where an accidental gun death is just waiting to happen.

I don't want to start another gun debate, this forum has had its fill.  But what is the mindset of a politician who rubs things like this in peoples' face when school shootings are a routine occurrence?  The poor parents, siblings and friends of all the students shot over the years, such a slap in the face. My hobby and a special view of the constitution outweighs your suffering and vulnerability.  It's a miracle smoking laws and seat belt laws ever got passed with this attitude - my right to smoke outweighs your right to clean air.  Same attitude as my religious beliefs outweigh your control over your own body.

To show that the Canadian approach is not new, from a speech on political liberalism, Quebec, June 26, 1877: “We have no absolute rights among us. The rights of each man, in our state of society, end precisely at the point where they encroach upon the rights of others.”  Sir Wilfrid Laurier in 1877, long before he became PM in 1896.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
Gun Deaths in 2020: 30,000
COVID Deaths in 2020: 330,000

It feels like getting one of these things right could move the needle a lot further. I just typed both numbers from memory, so it may be there are more in one or the other column than that.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2021, 07:24:08 AM »

It feels like getting one of these things right could move the needle a lot further. I just typed both numbers from memory, so it may be there are more in one or the other column than that.

As I said, I don't want to open the gun debate again, it has been done over and over here.  And yes, both those numbers are appalling.

What gets me is the attitude, that death and disability are taken so casually.  Both Covid and gun deaths per capita are high for the US.  Overall it seems almost fatalistic - we have to go sometime.  Well I want everyone to go in old age, peacefully in their sleep.  Obviously not going to happen, but something to be striven for.

What I was posting about was the psychological slap in the face of the picture, your kids just got killed by a shooter and I will pose my happy semi-automatic-toting family in front of a Christmas tree.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2021, 07:31:29 AM »

While I agree with you . . . it seems to be the same people moving in the wrong direction on both issues.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2021, 08:02:14 AM »
Here is something that sounds like rumor grade stuff:

https://www.businessinsider.com/hunter-biden-tucker-carlsons-close-friendship-revealed-in-email-expose-2021-12

If true, that ought to blow a few minds...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2021, 09:09:59 AM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/hunter-biden-tucker-carlsons-close-friendship-revealed-in-email-expose-2021-12

Well, if that is true, my first impressions are:

1) Carlson's fans are huge chumps.
2) Carlson is a man utterly without morals if he can say the things he has said about Hunter Biden in public.
3) Hunter Biden is perhaps the biggest chump of all, continuing a friendship with him.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
That is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder if the major players are all two sides of the same coin.

I usually wait and see and don't follow this stuff on a daily basis. I'm more of a monthly update kind of person.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
This "two sides of the coin" thing is why I ignore George Conway.

He staked out a beautiful principled conservative brand that would allow him to launder his wife's reputation if the Trump thing ever sullied her. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have sullied her much at all.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2021, 02:45:48 AM »

Well, if that is true, my first impressions are:

1) Carlson's fans are huge chumps.
2) Carlson is a man utterly without morals if he can say the things he has said about Hunter Biden in public.
3) Hunter Biden is perhaps the biggest chump of all, continuing a friendship with him.

Fox's lawyers already stated in a courtroom that Carlson is just a guy with a commentary show. He is not a journalist working for the New York Times and as such has no responsibility to tell the truth. A reasonable person should not believe anything he says. Those were their words, used to get him out of a defamation suit.  Given what he does for a living, I don't see how anybody would risk having a personal relationship with him. He destroys reputations for the lulz and everybody is an acceptable target.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2021, 06:36:00 AM »
Things were different in 2014. Carlson was an upwardly mobile addition to the elite/powerful class, and Hunter Biden was just a guy trying to live up to his family's reputation, over-shadowed by father and brother both.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
The gov't puts warnings on cigarettes. Maybe it is time to put disclaimers before, during and after "commentary" shows like Carlson's? I wonder what the message should say?

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
The gov't puts warnings on cigarettes. Maybe it is time to put disclaimers before, during and after "commentary" shows like Carlson's? I wonder what the message should say?

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Tucker Carlson Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, and May Complicate Pregnancy

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Quitting Tucker Carlson Now Greatly Reduces Serious Risks to Your Health

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Watching Tucker Carlson by Pregnant Women May Result in Fetal Injury, Premature Birth, and Low Birth Weight

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING: Tucker Carlson Contains Carbon Monoxide

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2021, 07:29:04 AM »
Nice little walkback from Carlson here in the later paragraphs, after the disclosure that plenty of Fox News Hosts were trying to reach the President during the January 6 sacking of the Capitol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/12/13/fox-ingraham-hannity-kilmeade-jan-6-trump-texts/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »
Nice little walkback from Carlson here in the later paragraphs, after the disclosure that plenty of Fox News Hosts were trying to reach the President during the January 6 sacking of the Capitol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/12/13/fox-ingraham-hannity-kilmeade-jan-6-trump-texts/

Geraldo Rivera got an earful from Hannity the other night for calling Trump responsible and pointing out to Hannity himself that at time of the insurrection he had the same feelings.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2022, 11:43:15 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/capitol-insurrection-visual-timeline/?itid=hp-top-table-main

When it was happening, I was horrified. I had to renew my driver's license the following month, and changed my voter registration away from "Republican".

One year later, I'm disgusted, sad, and fearful of what lies ahead. And--as I look around and see how little people seemed to be bothered by this mob--I feel more alone than I should be in craving a country based on the ideals of rule of law and government by the people.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2022, 11:50:07 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/capitol-insurrection-visual-timeline/?itid=hp-top-table-main

When it was happening, I was horrified. I had to renew my driver's license the following month, and changed my voter registration away from "Republican".

One year later, I'm disgusted, sad, and fearful of what lies ahead. And--as I look around and see how little people seemed to be bothered by this mob--I feel more alone than I should be in craving a country based on the ideals of rule of law and government by the people.

I've been wondering how I should classify myself as of late.

I've lost all patience with the majority of Republicans who've decided to abandon their support for democracy in favor of allegiance to an individual and a great big lie.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2022, 07:10:59 AM »
A great little video on What if Fox News talked about January 6th like they did about the BLM protests?

https://youtu.be/MhcWmDBS1Pw

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2022, 07:49:41 AM »
Yesterday I heard this:

“A year later, and former President Trump has not conceded”

On one hand, I kind of knew that… but hadn’t really thought about it in those terms. Outrageous.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »
I was at work at my customer (DoD) facility yesterday. Noticed that CSPAN, CNN, and other news channel were live with the Biden speech (and Harris prior to him). Faux News wasn't; instead they were live with rebuttals in real time.
Fox "News" isn't news as they claim but "entertainment". That's the worst entertainment, ever, in the history of entertainment.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »

I've been wondering how I should classify myself as of late.

I've lost all patience with the majority of Republicans who've decided to abandon their support for democracy in favor of allegiance to an individual and a great big lie.

Me too, but I've fallen out of love with the Democrats. However, I'll never join the modern day GOP. Independent it is.

Back on topic:

Donald Trump did the country—and himself—a favor by canceling the press conference he had planned for Jan. 6. But the press statement he released instead on Thursday underscores that the former President will never admit that he lost the 2020 election, no matter the cost to the country or his supporters. - WSJ: Opinion: Donald Trump Can Never Lose

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!