Yes, Lock it!  It's a sesspit!
2 (40%)
No, I'm entralled in the "debate"!
1 (20%)
Whatever, I'm just here for the show.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 07, 2016, 01:37:11 PM

Author Topic: Climate Change Talking Past Each Other Thread  (Read 87784 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Climate Change Talking Past Each Other Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 15, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »
I'm going to do what the topic title thread says and talk past all of you.

Not that anyone takes much notice of actual reality, but Australia just had a February that was 1.5 degrees above average for the month. Considering the world target is to limit warming to 2 degrees I'm a bit concerned.

Our chief scientist was trying to explain that the world is losing the battle. CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere increased by 3.05ppm, the largest annual increase in 50 years.

All this talk of effects of CC being far off into the future is sounding like BS to me... it's happening now.
I, too, am baffled when people talk about climate change as something that is predicted to start happening sometime in next few decades. We've seen changes in everything from CO2 concentrations to ice cover to biological range shifts since at least the 1950s.  Assuming climate change is real, this is exactly what we'd expect to see. The argument against seems to be that this is 'just weather' or it's all part of natural variation.  Given the increasing frequency of maximum temperature days, average summer temperature etc. this is getting increasingly statistically unlikely.
Easier to do this than accept tough decisions.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #451 on: March 15, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »
HAHA did you all read the new post from MMM... it is fitting to this argument.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: March 15, 2016, 04:44:35 PM »
HAHA did you all read the new post from MMM... it is fitting to this argument.

Well, I knew that MMM had a strong ecological bent to his worldview, but I didn't know he was reading my threads!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: March 15, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
Well, I knew that MMM had a strong ecological bent to his worldview, but I didn't know he was reading my threads!

I assume he does a quick forum search for any new topic he's considering publishing.  I would.  There are a ton of people here doing background research on these ideas, and some of them can even offer reasoned opinions.