Author Topic: can Ivanka Trump run for president after her dads 8 year term is up?  (Read 7332 times)

silentfaith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
He is doing such a good job in fixing our government I sure would like to see a smart woman take the helm.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: can Ivanka Trump run for president after her dads 8 year term is up?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
Sure, but I think Trump Jr. may be more qualified.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
Hopefully they can change the laws so that we won't have to go through with all the rigmarole of an election and the presidency can be inherited directly from one to the other.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »
Well obviously. He's a man.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »
Does Trump's 8 year term come after his two four year terms?

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
It all comes down to who the Russians want in office. After all that's how trump won right???? LOL

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Yeah, the OP isn't a troll at all.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 12:31:51 PM »
Yeah, the OP isn't a troll at all.

Yeah, a troll or someone completely ignorant of what the minimum qualifications to run for president are.

OP: Yes, of course Ivanka Trump can run for president.

But of course, that's not really what you're asking.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:13 PM »
President only has a 4 year term, of course.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
President only has a 4 year term, of course.

Not President Trump. He has the biggest term. Huge term.   Bigger than Obama's term.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
Well obviously. He's a man.
Come now, sexism is passe.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
Ivanka can't be president then.  I called dibs first. 

It's in the Constitution.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
I don't think felons are allowed to run.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »

I know you're being facetious, but I don't know of any actual clause in the Constitution that prohibits convicted felons from running for federal office. Is that actually prohibited?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »

I know you're being facetious, but I don't know of any actual clause in the Constitution that prohibits convicted felons from running for federal office. Is that actually prohibited?

I think it is common that you have to be eligible to vote to be allowed on the ballot, so if one were wearing exclusively orange one could not be POTUS.  But being on the ballot is not a requirement for being elected - write in.

Also would she be over the age minimum in 7 years?

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »

Shh!  My record has been expunged!  Nobody knows about it!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
As long as she runs against Chelsea Clinton.  Clinton vs Trump forever!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:54 PM »

I'd prefer George Clinton . . . bringing some stone cold funk.

silentfaith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
common gang, you know i meant trumps 2 four year terms and i am serious about his daughter running.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
Quote from: AlanStache

She is already over 35. She is eligible to be president.

There are surprisingly few requirements.

I don't think states can require you be eligible to vote to be on the ballot, for this position. I'd love to see evidence that I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:19:52 PM by iowajes »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

I think it is common that you have to be eligible to vote to be allowed on the ballot, so if one were wearing exclusively orange one could not be POTUS.  But being on the ballot is not a requirement for being elected - write in.

Well, that's obviously false.  Look at our current POTUS.  He's wearing orange 24/7/365.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Has she shown any indication at all that she ever *wants* to run for office? Do you want her to? Why would you? It's pointless to speculate about this happening two presidential elections from now, especially when it's uncertain whether her father will even finish his first term.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 07:10:04 PM »
On a slightly more serious note, I think the odds of Ivanka running for president are pretty slim.  She's not a very good public speaker, and she certainly hasn't shown any interest in or understanding of policy issues.

She's wealthy, which helps, but she's wealthy because of her family name and that is going to come with significant baggage.  Like worse than Hillary Clinton brought with her.

At best, she could try to emulate her father's campaign and call her opponents names while trying to convince voters that her complete lack of experience is really an asset.  But I think we will have had enough of that.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
On a slightly more serious note, I think the odds of Ivanka running for president are pretty slim.  She's not a very good public speaker, and she certainly hasn't shown any interest in or understanding of policy issues.

She's wealthy, which helps, but she's wealthy because of her family name and that is going to come with significant baggage.  Like worse than Hillary Clinton brought with her.

At best, she could try to emulate her father's campaign and call her opponents names while trying to convince voters that her complete lack of experience is really an asset.  But I think we will have had enough of that.

She'd have a harder time pulling off the Archie Bunker routine her father excels at.  She's culturally upper middle class, not lower middle class/working class like her father.  I know, I know-he was born rich-but culturally, he has far more in common with the working class.  He prefers their food (fast, with ketchup), their entertainment (wrestling), their decor (spray-painted gold, "fancy"), and has the vocabulary and language complexity of someone without a college education.  I have a pet theory that it's difficult for politicians who present as upper middle class to win elections.  It's America's least favorite class: status-obsessed, over-educated, rule-following, punctual, smug.  It's better to be properly upper class (Kennedy, Bush) or middle or lower (B. Clinton, Trump).  Hillary Clinton may as well be the dictionary definition of upper middle class.  Obama is upper middle class but presented more as true middle.  I also think that Don Jr. would indeed be a better candidate just on electability, because he presents as a lower social class than his siblings.  If I met him without knowing anything about him, I'd assume that he sold used cars, time shares, or Herbalife and that he did not have a college education.  Eric seems like an idiot, but more like a frat idiot.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »

Is Trump Jr. Beavis? Or Butthead. I get them confused.

As for Ivanka, a part time erstwhile  handbag designer would be an improvement on the current state of affairs.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
She'd have a harder time pulling off the Archie Bunker routine her father excels at.  She's culturally upper middle class, not lower middle class/working class like her father.  I know, I know-he was born rich-but culturally, he has far more in common with the working class.  He prefers their food (fast, with ketchup), their entertainment (wrestling), their decor (spray-painted gold, "fancy"), and has the vocabulary and language complexity of someone without a college education.  I have a pet theory that it's difficult for politicians who present as upper middle class to win elections.  It's America's least favorite class: status-obsessed, over-educated, rule-following, punctual, smug.  It's better to be properly upper class (Kennedy, Bush) or middle or lower (B. Clinton, Trump).  Hillary Clinton may as well be the dictionary definition of upper middle class.  Obama is upper middle class but presented more as true middle.  I also think that Don Jr. would indeed be a better candidate just on electability, because he presents as a lower social class than his siblings.  If I met him without knowing anything about him, I'd assume that he sold used cars, time shares, or Herbalife and that he did not have a college education.  Eric seems like an idiot, but more like a frat idiot.

It's more nuanced, eh? Bush may have been upper class but he was more of a hang-around-the-bar upper class guy. John Kerry, now that guy is blue blood. More Kennedy like but perhaps even Kennedy couldn't win today.

Biden is more working class. It was "Hillary's turn" but he should've been running against Trump. He would've called Trump out to the alley for a fight.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 07:28:52 AM »

It's more nuanced, eh? Bush may have been upper class but he was more of a hang-around-the-bar upper class guy. John Kerry, now that guy is blue blood. More Kennedy like but perhaps even Kennedy couldn't win today.

Lol — this despite the fact that John Kerry was born in Aurora, Colorado, and GWB was literally born in New Haven, CT.

Funny how the media shapes our perception of reality.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »
It is media perception, but the campaigns themselves had a hand in the narratives.  Gore (St. Alban's) and Bush (Exeter) were exactly the same social class, but Bush pulled off a more deliberate man of the people routine.  Kerry went to prep school Yale, was in Skull and Bones, and is related to every Boston Brahmin.  Btw-all those things could be said about W, too.  But people just had this idea that W was a simple rancher while Kerry was a windsurfing Francophile.  People make this big deal about voters smelling inauthenticity, but Kerry presented his authentic self while Bush playacted being the village idiot from his own Petit Trianon in Crawford.  It turns out that (mostly GOP) voters don't really want authenticity, they just like candidates who either are truly idiots or play them on TV.  There is a sweet spot of lovable Bertie Wooster idiocy in the upper classes that Bush may have benefited from.

Mitt Romney is an interesting case, and I think his loss is similar to Bush-Kerry, Bush-Gore, Clinton-Dole, and Trump-Clinton.  He seemed stiffer and more reserved, and it's hard to get voters excited about the more reserved candidate.  Stiffness and reserve, of course, being markers for social class. 

Anyway-this is off topic even for off topic.  I'd certainly trade Ivanka for her dad.  She's an order of magnitude smarter (then again, so is any random checker at Target), but I think that the GOP should be setting its sights on Nikki Haley.  Btw-I think Elizabeth Warren is a capable and smart woman, but she would be defeated in a blood bath for all the reasons I discussed.  She's like everyone's favorite English teacher, and way too upper middle class of an authority figure to win an election outside of Massachusetts. Plus, every Bernie Bro who pretends that they would vote for Warren and they had special reasons that were definitely Not Sexism for not voting for Clinton will suddenly discover new and also Not Sexist reasons for not voting for Warren.  Biden is the way to go.  He's a brawler.  You know who is the most loathsome upper middle class GOP politician?  Paul Ryan.  Remember his black hole of charisma during the Biden-Ryan debates?   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:17 AM »
When I saw this troll-ish headline, I knew the forum's collective responses would not disappoint. Love the bright, shiny humor and the on-point analysis.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »

I feel like that's a glorious fanfic waiting to happen.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »

I feel like that's a glorious fanfic waiting to happen.

Author would commit suicide before ever getting to the juicy parts.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
"I believe that she will win!"

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »
"I'm with her."

Still too soon?

silentfaith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
i am the op.  this is just a curious question i asked. i have heard the term troll before  but i do not know what it means. i have only posted a few times on this site and i have no hidden agenda. wtf?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »
Troll? What is troll?

<Gollum voice>

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »
When I saw this troll-ish headline, I knew the forum's collective responses would not disappoint. Love the bright, shiny humor and the on-point analysis.

Agreed!  This is making Tuesday more exciting.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
With a name like Ivanka, we'd need to see a birth certificate.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
Um...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Apparently the only qualification required to be the president of the United States is that you're good friends with Putin.  Other than that, you can be kind of an idiot.  And a boor.  And publicly brag about pussy grabbing.  And admit to collusion and obstruction on national television.  And not release any of your tax returns.  And run a fraudulent charity organization for personal gain.  And make fun of the handicapped.  And insult our military veterans.  And cheat on all three of your wives.  And take bribes from foreign governments. 

But as we've all learned, being a terrible candidate in every respect does not guarantee that you will lose the election.  You can apparently win a primary just by making up demeaning nicknames for the other candidates, because that's how juvenille we are now as a country (I look forward "fart-sniffer Joe" next time around).  And once you've locked up the primary, you can apparently win the general with some well-placed facebook/twitter adds in key electoral college states, targeting people's racist and sexist insecurities. 

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:24 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Apparently the only qualification required to be the president of the United States is that you're good friends with Putin.  Other than that, you can be kind of an idiot.  And a boor.  And publicly brag about pussy grabbing.  And admit to collusion and obstruction on national television.  And not release any of your tax returns.  And run a fraudulent charity organization for personal gain.  And make fun of the handicapped.  And insult our military veterans.  And cheat on all three of your wives.  And take bribes from foreign governments. 

But as we've all learned, being a terrible candidate in every respect does not guarantee that you will lose the election.  You can apparently win a primary just by making up demeaning nicknames for the other candidates, because that's how juvenille we are now as a country (I look forward "fart-sniffer Joe" next time around).  And once you've locked up the primary, you can apparently win the general with some well-placed facebook/twitter adds in key electoral college states, targeting people's racist and sexist insecurities.

Yes but does all that work when you are a chick?

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Let's test it. Let's find a women with the same resume as Trump, who says and believes similar things. Then we can ask a bunch of Republicans if they would vote for her.

Paris Hilton, any takers? 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Let's test it. Let's find a women with the same resume as Trump, who says and believes similar things. Then we can ask a bunch of Republicans if they would vote for her.

Well, a lot of them were crazy about Sarah Palin, so I think we already have our answer.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Well, a lot of them were crazy about Sarah Palin, so I think we already have our answer.

Palin (phenomenally stupid as she proved herself to be) was a much more accomplished politician than Trump.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
Um...

You're catching on?

Palin (phenomenally stupid as she proved herself to be) was a much more accomplished politician than Trump.

I don’t know about much more... but she did have some experience.

But given that Trump’s base says that his business experience is better than actual governmen5 experience, I’m not sure that makes any difference.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »

When you consider that Palin had already won elections for city council, mayor, AND state governor, and Trump had never won an election for anything including ASB, I think it's fair to say that Palin was "much more" accomplished than Trump.  It's not that hard to have more experience than zero.

She ran a state!  Trump couldn't even run a casino successfully.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »

When you consider that Palin had already won elections for city council, mayor, AND state governor, and Trump had never won an election for anything including ASB, I think it's fair to say that Palin was "much more" accomplished than Trump.  It's not that hard to have more experience than zero.

She ran a state!  Trump couldn't even run a casino successfully.

Yeah... I mean, I’m not gonna choose this hill to die on. She ran a state for three years. I don’t know how successfully. But sure, in theory, from zero to anything could be considered a huge jump, so...

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
Good point, I had forgot about Palin.  "Vote for me and everyone will get resource extraction jobs along with a zero tax rate."  And "Snow Machines". 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »
Sarah Palin's introduction to national politics was mishandled, but I feel there was a bit of a conscious choice on her part: she either could have sought a respectable career in politics, perhaps elevating her status through national issues and maybe seeking a Senate seat during the wave election of 2010, or she could monetize her stardom through cartoon politics and reality TV in the path we saw her take.

It's hard for me to blame her for taking the money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!