Poll

Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?

Yay!
Nay!
Who cares? The SCOTUS doesn't matter anyways.

Author Topic: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?  (Read 197692 times)

former player

• Walrus Stache
Re: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1300 on: October 06, 2018, 05:25:17 AM »

It's not a political hack job. Four other people have corroborated Ford's testimony. Yes, he really did assault her.

I thought I had been following this pretty closely. Please a link to who the 4 are.
[/quote]

I would like to know, too. There are no corroborating witnesses as far as I saw, and I have read and watched this from the beginning.
[/quote]

Please see my previous post.  Thank you.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1301 on: October 06, 2018, 05:35:24 AM »

It's not a political hack job. Four other people have corroborated Ford's testimony. Yes, he really did assault her.
[/quote]

I thought I had been following this pretty closely. Please a link to who the 4 are.
[/quote]

The 4 so-called corroborating witnesses include her husband who she allegedly told about the assault in 2012 (without mentioning Kavanaugh) and some friends/neighbors she told in 2018 that Kavanaugh assaulted her.  This was after his name was floated as a SCOTUS nominee.  These "witnesses" do not corroborate the alleged assault.

crispy

« Reply #1302 on: October 06, 2018, 05:39:19 AM »

I would like to know, too. There are no corroborating witnesses as far as I saw, and I have read and watched this from the beginning.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I did. They don't exist because not even her best friend can corroborate her story.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1303 on: October 06, 2018, 05:39:41 AM »

[/quote]

The 4 so-called corroborating witnesses include her husband who she allegedly told about the assault in 2012 (without mentioning Kavanaugh) and some friends/neighbors she told in 2018 that Kavanaugh assaulted her.  This was after his name was floated as a SCOTUS nominee.  These "witnesses" do not corroborate the alleged assault.
[/quote]

You appear to be forgetting 1) her therapist - medical witnesses are counted as strong witnesses in court, were we in court, and 2) the lie detector test and the ex  FBI agent who took it.

Please do not try to mislead the conversation by providing inaccurate information.  If you cannot give accurate information you are not advancing the discussion and should not be posting.  Thank you.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1304 on: October 06, 2018, 05:48:40 AM »

[/quote]

I did. They don't exist because not even her best friend can corroborate her story.
[/quote]

You appear not to understand the meaning of "corroboration", either inside or outside of a court of law.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1305 on: October 06, 2018, 06:19:55 AM »
Yay. I think her story is about as fake as the story of why she has two front doors.

I bet you think that Devil's Triangle is a drinking game, too.

I had never heard of it in either context, and I'm about the same age as K. In that era, the Devil's Triangle was a place where ships disappeared near Bermuda. We talked a lot about sex in high school, and threesomes (all theoretically). Somewhere it is a slang term for a threesome. Maybe it was also back in 1980 in Georgetown. Any 50-something years old Georgetowners here who can chime in?

There is no clear, unbiased source for any of these allegations either way. If you liked K before the nomination, you probably still do. If you are still bitter about Clinton's legal troubles back in the 90s, you probably hate K. I see nothing but partisan payback for Garland, who was partisan payback for Thomas, Bork and many others going back a generation.

What do you need?  Other people saying I saw Kavanaugh assault someone before you believe them?  There may not have been witnesses who are willing (who knows how willing Mark Judge is) to say they saw Kavanaugh assault Christine Ford, but there were witnesses to his actions against Deborah Ramirez.  The FBI didn't f*&%king follow up.  And they didn't follow up with the people that have written proof that Kavanaugh tried to stop that story from coming out even though he testified before the Senate on Sept 27th that he only found out about that story when it appeared in the news.  Written proof of just one of his lies.  He lied.  He lied repeatedly.  He lied about stupid things like home improvements for which he would need permits that have been proven to not exist.  He is a lying liar who lies.  This is not about bitterness toward his actions against the Clintons, it's about the fact that he is an entitled, lying hack with shady finances who has no business on the Supreme Court or any court. 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1306 on: October 06, 2018, 06:30:02 AM »
Yay. I think her story is about as fake as the story of why she has two front doors.

Better yet, I don't care! It was a high school yearbook. He may have been a drunk manwhore, but that does he mean he was a rapist. His friends from high school back his story. No one backs her story. No one.

So you accuse Ford of lying, without actual evidence. But when it's pointed out that Kavanaugh lied to the Senate you shrug your shoulders and simply don't care.

For the record, not that it matters because integrity in't something you concern yourself with, saying "I don't remember the alleged incident" isn't the same thing as "Kavanaugh did nothing to her." And yes folks do back her story.

"Dr. Ford’s counsel has provided a statement from Keith Koegler, Ford’s friend and corroborating witness who was not permitted to testify or be interviewed by the FBI. In a signed declaration, he shared an account of two interactions he had with Ford in which she spoke about Kavanaugh’s alleged sexual assault years before he was nominated to the Supreme Court."

crispy

« Reply #1307 on: October 06, 2018, 06:31:58 AM »

[/quote]

You appear not to understand the meaning of "corroboration", either inside or outside of a court of law.
[/quote]

I never claimed to be a lawyer, but those therapy notes don't mention Brett Kavanaugh, but do say the attack happened when she was in her late teens in the mid-80s. They are pretty inconsistent with her Senate testimony. Sorry, I don't see them as corroborating evidence.

crispy

« Reply #1308 on: October 06, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »

Better yet, I don't care! It was a high school yearbook. He may have been a drunk manwhore, but that does he mean he was a rapist. His friends from high school back his story. No one backs her story. No one.

So you accuse Ford of lying, without actual evidence. But when it's pointed out that Kavanaugh lied to the Senate you shrug your shoulders and simply don't care.

For the record, not that it matters because integrity in't something you concern yourself with, saying "I don't remember the alleged incident" isn't the same thing as "Kavanaugh did nothing to her." And yes folks do back her story.

"Dr. Ford’s counsel has provided a statement from Keith Koegler, Ford’s friend and corroborating witness who was not permitted to testify or be interviewed by the FBI. In a signed declaration, he shared an account of two interactions he had with Ford in which she spoke about Kavanaugh’s alleged sexual assault years before he was nominated to the Supreme Court."

His high school classmates have confirmed his version of events and his definition of Devil's Triangle, whether you agree or not. He admits to drinking a lot. I don't see the inconsistencies in his story that you are seeing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1309 on: October 06, 2018, 06:46:44 AM »
Man. This place got real salty.

The way I see it, as liberals shift towards "equality" Roe V Wade would need to be reconsidered at some point. Reproduction Rights will gradually shift from "preventatives" to "improving offspring" as our understanding of genetics improves. Unless we're cool with Rich people making their children smarter, faster, stronger before birth.

Is Kavanaugh a bad choice? Not sure. I don't have the expertise to evaluate it. As GuitarStv pointed out "Congress has some of the sharpest minds in America" so if they think his jurisprudence is good, that is all that matters. We never really had any control over this.

So go process your grief. A battle that was coming  is now going to be here soon. And hell, Democrats can blame Republicans now for the loss of Roe V Wade instead of dismantling it themselves. (I'm betting big on the social equality becoming a big issue.)
Insightful and thoughtful comments regarding the improvement of the genetic stock of our blood from the NSDAP candidate, Adolf Hitler. Thank you sir! I shall keep your wise remarks in mind as I hasten to the ballot box forthwith

(Sigh)
For your reading.
https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/designer-babies-and-the-pro-choice-movement

And that was written before CRISPR was found in 2012. We have the means to edit genes individually now.

Okay. Who cares? Is anyone even opposed to this? Has anyone even tried legislating against it? Maybe it will be a hot button issue someday but right now it's pretty far down the list of things I'm concerned about from the new Supreme Court.

That's not to say I don't care about the new Supreme Court. I care immensely and I'm furious at everyone who allowed Kavanaugh to be confirmed, and I hope that Democrats eventually regain control of the government and either pack the court or impeach Kavanaugh or both. But I care about the Supreme Court because of other, much more important issues than this. I didn't even know this was an issue at all.

We are talking about the Supreme Court. Specifically the fact that conservatives will be in charge for decades. The technology is here today. It is being worked on.

I am trying to get you ahead of the curve. People here think Roe V Wade should be an absolute. People here also want social equality. What happens when those things are on a collision course?

Hmm... Maybe pointing out Roe V Wade is going to be challenged on different ethical grounds isn't reassuring.

You're concerned about a theoretical potential problem.  That's perfectly valid and is forward thinking.  Roe V Wade solves common, real problems that exist today.  While there's no reason that a future ruling can't modify and place specific limitations on the descision should it be deemed necessary in the future, a move today to wholesale repeal the descision (even if there's the possibility of needing to do so at some point in the future) will negatively impact hundreds of thousands of people.  Even if the theoretical problem you have outlined does become a real one in the future, I feel that there are better ways to decide about it than appointing a man who has indicated that he wants to change decades of precedent purely for religious and partisan reasons.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #1310 on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:48 AM »

[/quote]

Perhaps instead of asking a woman or ally to do your work for you, you could do it for yourself?

Because why the fuck should someone do for you something you are too lazy to do for yourself.

And perhaps next time you could inform yourself before adding your comment too.

Because from here your quoted comment looks like the sort of unthinking, entitled male response that has been all too prevalent lately.

Edited to add: oh, and please get your quotes right.  The formatting of your post was a mess.
[/quote]

Sorry about the quotes. I was trying to snip the length to make it easier. Obviously failed.

As to doing it myself. I had immediately tried Googling, and failed to find anything like 4 strong, well-corroborated witnesses. Just more partisan bickering. I was hoping some kind person would help, if they knew of a reliable, reasonably even-handed accounting. I want neither the New York Times version nor the Fox News version, and if nothing better is offered, I'll assume you have nothing better.

You say you have strong evidence. If you make strong statements, you should be ready to back them up. So far just insults and name-calling.

Perhaps some other person here knows who these 4 people are and has a link to a source that is not insanely Repub or Dem? I honestly looked through several Google pages, and found only links to hotheads.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1311 on: October 06, 2018, 07:08:12 AM »

His high school classmates have confirmed his version of events and his definition of Devil's Triangle, whether you agree or not. He admits to drinking a lot. I don't see the inconsistencies in his story that you are seeing.

No they haven't. I'll repeat one more time, but I think it's pretty clear you are simply trolling now:
Saying "I don't remember the alleged incident" isn't the same thing as "Kavanaugh did nothing to her."

James Roche, Kavanaugh's former roommate, claimed it was common knowledge that the phrase "Devils' Triangle" was sexual in nature.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1312 on: October 06, 2018, 07:47:17 AM »

[/quote]

You appear to be forgetting 1) her therapist - medical witnesses are counted as strong witnesses in court, were we in court, and 2) the lie detector test and the ex  FBI agent who took it.

Please do not try to mislead the conversation by providing inaccurate information.  If you cannot give accurate information you are not advancing the discussion and should not be posting.  Thank you.
[/quote]

Therapist conversation took place in 2012.  30 some years after the alleged incident occurred.  How does this corroborate the assault?  Also my understanding that Kavanaugh's name not mentioned.

Lie detector even if valid only means that she believes the story she's telling, not that it actually happened.  lie detector tests are not considered reliable and are not admissible as evidence in court.

Initially she did not even remember the year of the alleged assault much less the month and day.  Apparently settled on 1982 as the year after talking to her Democrat activist legal team.

Ramirez didn't even initially remember who waved the willie.  Called potential witnesses to see if they could pin it on Kavanaugh.  After a week consulting with her attorneys, decided it was Kavanaugh.  This looks extremely fishy.

Seems like you are the one not advancing the conversation.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1313 on: October 06, 2018, 07:51:02 AM »

No they haven't. I'll repeat one more time, but I think it's pretty clear you are simply trolling now:
Saying "I don't remember the alleged incident" isn't the same thing as "Kavanaugh did nothing to her."

James Roche, Kavanaugh's former roommate, claimed it was common knowledge that the phrase "Devils' Triangle" was sexual in nature.

Kavanaugh used that phrase in his high school yearbook.  He went to high school in suburban Maryland.  Yale is in New Haven, CT.  Find it difficult to believe that Yalies were using lingo from Kavanaugh's prep school in MD.

Also, I'm the same age as Kavanaugh and from the same geographic area and never heard that expression or "boof".  How are you so sure what it means?

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1314 on: October 06, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »

Perhaps instead of asking a woman or ally to do your work for you, you could do it for yourself?

Because why the fuck should someone do for you something you are too lazy to do for yourself.

And perhaps next time you could inform yourself before adding your comment too.

Because from here your quoted comment looks like the sort of unthinking, entitled male response that has been all too prevalent lately.

Edited to add: oh, and please get your quotes right.  The formatting of your post was a mess.
[/quote]

Sorry about the quotes. I was trying to snip the length to make it easier. Obviously failed.

As to doing it myself. I had immediately tried Googling, and failed to find anything like 4 strong, well-corroborated witnesses. Just more partisan bickering. I was hoping some kind person would help, if they knew of a reliable, reasonably even-handed accounting. I want neither the New York Times version nor the Fox News version, and if nothing better is offered, I'll assume you have nothing better.

You say you have strong evidence. If you make strong statements, you should be ready to back them up. So far just insults and name-calling.

Perhaps some other person here knows who these 4 people are and has a link to a source that is not insanely Repub or Dem? I honestly looked through several Google pages, and found only links to hotheads.
[/quote]

Link attached.  All 4 "corroborating" witnesses say that she told them something about an assault in the 2012-2018 timeframe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/26/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-told-four-people-sexual-assault-claims/1429270002/

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1315 on: October 06, 2018, 08:04:04 AM »

Kavanaugh's name was being discussed openly as early as 2012 as a top potential Supreme Court nominee for a Republican President (Romney in that case).

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/04/20/10-Top-Court-Candidates-If-Romney-Wins

Maybe that's how he got associated with Blasey-Ford's recovered memory.  She apparently dated a friend of Kavanaugh in high school so she knew of him at least.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #1316 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »

The way I see it, as liberals shift towards "equality" Roe V Wade would need to be reconsidered at some point. Reproduction Rights will gradually shift from "preventatives" to "improving offspring" as our understanding of genetics improves. Unless we're cool with Rich people making their children smarter, faster, stronger before birth.

Is Kavanaugh a bad choice? Not sure. I don't have the expertise to evaluate it. As GuitarStv pointed out "Congress has some of the sharpest minds in America" so if they think his jurisprudence is good, that is all that matters. We never really had any control over this.

So go process your grief. A battle that was coming  is now going to be here soon. And hell, Democrats can blame Republicans now for the loss of Roe V Wade instead of dismantling it themselves. (I'm betting big on the social equality becoming a big issue.)
Insightful and thoughtful comments regarding the improvement of the genetic stock of our blood from the NSDAP candidate, Adolf Hitler. Thank you sir! I shall keep your wise remarks in mind as I hasten to the ballot box forthwith

(Sigh)
For your reading.
https://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/designer-babies-and-the-pro-choice-movement

And that was written before CRISPR was found in 2012. We have the means to edit genes individually now.

Okay. Who cares? Is anyone even opposed to this? Has anyone even tried legislating against it? Maybe it will be a hot button issue someday but right now it's pretty far down the list of things I'm concerned about from the new Supreme Court.

That's not to say I don't care about the new Supreme Court. I care immensely and I'm furious at everyone who allowed Kavanaugh to be confirmed, and I hope that Democrats eventually regain control of the government and either pack the court or impeach Kavanaugh or both. But I care about the Supreme Court because of other, much more important issues than this. I didn't even know this was an issue at all.

We are talking about the Supreme Court. Specifically the fact that conservatives will be in charge for decades. The technology is here today. It is being worked on.

I am trying to get you ahead of the curve. People here think Roe V Wade should be an absolute. People here also want social equality. What happens when those things are on a collision course?

Hmm... Maybe pointing out Roe V Wade is going to be challenged on different ethical grounds isn't reassuring.

You're concerned about a theoretical potential problem.  That's perfectly valid and is forward thinking.  Roe V Wade solves common, real problems that exist today.  While there's no reason that a future ruling can't modify and place specific limitations on the descision should it be deemed necessary in the future, a move today to wholesale repeal the descision (even if there's the possibility of needing to do so at some point in the future) will negatively impact hundreds of thousands of people.  Even if the theoretical problem you have outlined does become a real one in the future, I feel that there are better ways to decide about it than appointing a man who has indicated that he wants to change decades of precedent purely for religious and partisan reasons.

You are correct sir. There are better ways. The current political atmosphere though is that "If you look at Roe V Wade the wrong way, prepare to be blitzed."

And that is unhelpful if you want to put nuance on a topic. I can already see the headlines "Congress wants to curtail Gene editing in the womb, abortion is next!"

So people need to start dialing down the rhetoric and consider what compromises would be acceptable.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1317 on: October 06, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

You are correct sir. There are better ways. The current political atmosphere though is that "If you look at Roe V Wade the wrong way, prepare to be blitzed."

And that is unhelpful if you want to put nuance on a topic. I can already see the headlines "Congress wants to curtail Gene editing in the womb, abortion is next!"

So people need to start dialing down the rhetoric and consider what compromises would be acceptable.

I see a supreme court that is far right of the majority of Americans, and an appointment who is very likely to repeal Roe V Wade wholesale.  What compromises exactly are you talking about?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1318 on: October 06, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Kavanaugh used that phrase in his high school yearbook.  He went to high school in suburban Maryland.  Yale is in New Haven, CT.  Find it difficult to believe that Yalies were using lingo from Kavanaugh's prep school in MD.

Weird that "Kavanugh and High School friends only" lingo would appear online with meanings of sexual connotation. And that you would assert he never used the phrase past High School. Except that he did regularly use that phrase, according to his college roomate. And in the context of meaning something sexual.

Of course there is this:
"“The explanation of Devil’s Triangle does not hold water for me,” said William Fishburne, who managed the football team during Judge Kavanaugh’s senior year."

and this:
“Our senior yearbook pages were a place to have a little bit of fun with commemorating inside jokes,” said Bill Barbot, who overlapped with Judge Kavanaugh at Georgetown Prep, an all-boys Catholic school. “However, the spin that Brett was putting on it was a complete overstatement of the innocence with which they were intended.”

Also, I'm the same age as Kavanaugh and from the same geographic area and never heard that expression or "boof".  How are you so sure what it means?

I never claimed to nor made any mention of "boof." Nice straw-man though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 10:09:06 AM by MasterStache »

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1319 on: October 06, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

I see a supreme court that is far right of the majority of Americans, and an appointment who is very likely to repeal Roe V Wade wholesale.  What compromises exactly are you talking about?

There are no centrist Democrat appointees.  All are hard left, well outside the mainstream.  The only "centrist" left is Roberts, a Republican appointee, who is right of center.  The recently departed centrist is Kennedy who was a Reagan appointee.  Repubs also appointed Souter, who was a liberal jurist.  Sounds like the Dems are well outside the mainstream when it comes to judicial appointments.  Kavanaugh is closer to the center by any reasonable measure than Sotomayor, Ginsburg, Kagan and Breyer.

El_Viajero

• Stubble
« Reply #1320 on: October 06, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »
I never claimed to be a lawyer, but those therapy notes don't mention Brett Kavanaugh, but do say the attack happened when she was in her late teens in the mid-80s. They are pretty inconsistent with her Senate testimony. Sorry, I don't see them as corroborating evidence.

Just because you "don't see [an instance corroborating evidence] as corroborating evidence" matters little. There is corroborating evidence of Dr. Ford's claims, the type of which puts sexual assailants in jail all the time. The Republican Party has an interest in the public not understanding that.

See: http://time.com/5406765/christine-blasey-ford-statements-brett-kavanaugh/

See also: https://hillreporter.com/keith-koegler-releases-significant-evidence-corroborating-dr-fords-claims-9543

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1321 on: October 06, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Maybe that's how he got associated with Blasey-Ford's recovered memory.  She apparently dated a friend of Kavanaugh in high school so she knew of him at least.

Wow, this is very shitty of you, to insist Ford who is 100% certain of who assaulted her is lying. Forgetting the exact day? sure. Forgetting the exact house and/or room? Sure I can see that. Forgetting who actually assaulted you and just throwing out a random name? Fucking bullshit. And to insist otherwise if fucking awful. Despicable! 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1322 on: October 06, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »

Wow, this is very shitty of you, to insist Ford who is 100% certain of who assaulted her is lying. Forgetting the exact day? sure. Forgetting the exact house and/or room? Sure I can see that. Forgetting who actually assaulted you and just throwing out a random name? Fucking bullshit. And to insist otherwise if fucking awful. Despicable!

I wonder if this is from a lack of experience.

If you've never been involved in something traumatic like a sexual assault, you'd assume it would be seared into your memory. One would assume that the victim would remember exact dates, exact times, the paint color on the walls, etc, when, in reality, only certain things stand out exactly because it was traumatic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1323 on: October 06, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

There are no centrist Democrat appointees.  All are hard left, well outside the mainstream.  The only "centrist" left is Roberts, a Republican appointee, who is right of center.  The recently departed centrist is Kennedy who was a Reagan appointee.  Repubs also appointed Souter, who was a liberal jurist.  Sounds like the Dems are well outside the mainstream when it comes to judicial appointments.  Kavanaugh is closer to the center by any reasonable measure than Sotomayor, Ginsburg, Kagan and Breyer.

Hang on, you're trying to argue that Garland wasn't centrist?  I seem to remember him being appointed by a Democratic president recently . . .

Regardless, you appear to have missed my point.  The current make up of the supreme court will tilt hard right of the majority of voters with the appointment of Kavenaugh, who has made a lot of signals that he'll repeal Roe v Wade for partisan/religious reasons.  There was a suggestion that people should consider acceptable compromises, but I'm not sure what exactly is up for consideration in this regard.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1324 on: October 06, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

And there it is. You do not care that a nominee for the Supreme Court lied under oath.

That pretty well sums it up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1325 on: October 06, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

CRISPR really can't be used in humans yet. Yes, they can edit genes but there are too many unintended consequences because don't know how they interact. Hey, your baby has got blue eyes now, sorry it's liver doesn't work anymore.  It also can't be done in utero, by the time we know about a pregnancy it's too late. They'd have to be IVF babies as gene's need to be edited at conception

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1326 on: October 06, 2018, 10:41:30 AM »
In my opinion, Republicans will NEVER overturn Roe vs. Wade.

If they do, they INSTANTLY lose at least 20% of their voters. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to that tell me anti-choice is the ONLY reason they vote republican.

But the ones who rely on votes can't control the supreme Court they stacked.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1327 on: October 06, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
And there it is. You do not care that a nominee for the Supreme Court lied under oath.

Evangelical: (muttering) "It's all for Roe. It's all for Roe. It's all for Roe."

What would happen if a potential Justice was anti-choice AND wanted to remove the non-profit status of churches? Or was anti-choice AND wanted to prevent all home-schooling. Would heads explode?

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1328 on: October 06, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »

If you've never been involved in something traumatic like a sexual assault, you'd assume it would be seared into your memory. One would assume that the victim would remember exact dates, exact times, the paint color on the walls, etc, when, in reality, only certain things stand out exactly because it was traumatic.

Lack of experience but also a serious lack of empathy. Empathy is apparently partisan as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: October 06, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »

Lack of experience but also a serious lack of empathy. Empathy is apparently partisan as well.

Having been raised deep in the religious right, I am inclined to agree.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #1330 on: October 06, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »

[/quote]

Link attached.  All 4 "corroborating" witnesses say that she told them something about an assault in the 2012-2018 timeframe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/26/brett-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-told-four-people-sexual-assault-claims/1429270002/
[/quote]

Thank you. That was an interesting article.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1331 on: October 06, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
The other four witnesses I mentioned:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/2018/09/27/brett-kavanaugh-allegations-sexual-misconduct-complete-list/

Under the section "other witnesses".

I'm not sure if these would be admissible in a criminal trial (does this fall under hearsay?) but nevertheless I take them as very compelling evidence. I find it completely implausible and ridiculous to think that this is all a long con to discredit Kavanaugh that Ford has been planning and planting evidence for since 2012. That's absurd. The much more reasonable explanation, as distasteful as it might be, is that yes, she really was sexually assaulted by Kavanaugh.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:49:25 AM by Norioch »

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1332 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:11 PM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

You seem to expect liberals to be opposed to gene-editing technology on the basis of "social inequality" and you seem to think that's somehow contradictory with support of Roe v. Wade, but I'm not opposed to gene-editing technology. I think it count be a very useful, probably sometimes life-saving, medical technique. I wish my parents had used it on me to cure me of my color-blindness. If you're worried this will result in a Gattaca-like dystopia of inequality based on genetics, then the solution isn't to outlaw the technology; the solution is universal healthcare so everyone has access to the technology.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1333 on: October 06, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
And beside that, gene editing has many other reasons to be opposed. Frankly, the ethical quandaries aren't that important to me. To me what's important is mitigating the risk of a major fuckup. Plowing headfirst with profits or pride in mind has cost a lot of lives in the past, there isn't any correcting for defective genes once born. As far as I know anyway.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1334 on: October 06, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/2018/09/27/brett-kavanaugh-allegations-sexual-misconduct-complete-list/

I'm not sure if these would be admissible in a criminal trial (does this fall under hearsay?) but nevertheless I take them as very compelling evidence. I find it completely implausible and ridiculous to think that this is all a long con to discredit Kavanaugh that Ford has been planning and planting evidence for since 2012. That's absurd. The much more reasonable explanation, as distasteful as it might be, is that yes, she really was sexually assaulted by Kavanaugh.

The first mention of Kavanaugh to one of these witnesses was allegedly in 2016 not 2012.  She allegedly was talking about being assaulted by someone in 2012.  We know next to nothing about her (Blasey-Ford).  From what I have heard, she had a serious drinking problem as a teen and her parents sent her off to CA to live with a relative to get away from the party scene.  I bet there is a lot more damaging information about her in that report.  That's why the Dems haven't leaked it.

She made this a political attack when she engaged her "resist" lawyer and let the Dems use her to delay the vote.  This should have been handled in confidence.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1335 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »

The first mention of Kavanaugh to one of these witnesses was allegedly in 2016 not 2012.  She allegedly was talking about being assaulted by someone in 2012.  We know next to nothing about her (Blasey-Ford).  From what I have heard, she had a serious drinking problem as a teen and her parents sent her off to CA to live with a relative to get away from the party scene.  I bet there is a lot more damaging information about her in that report.  That's why the Dems haven't leaked it.

She made this a political attack when she engaged her "resist" lawyer and let the Dems use her to delay the vote.  This should have been handled in confidence.

We live on different planets. It's obvious to me she was sexually assaulted. And Kavanaugh is the one with the drinking problem.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1336 on: October 06, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

Do you have anything to back up those claims? Literally anything at all?

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1337 on: October 06, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »

I've followed this story and agree with the previous poster who stated it was a waste of time and energy.

Ford doesn't seem credible - doesn't remember things.
There's no evidence that Ford's claims are true.
Kavenaugh denies Ford's false claims.
The only other person in the room claims to have no memory of such a thing happening.
It was supposedly 36 years ago when Kavenaugh was in high school and shouldn't be part of the discussion in 2018.
Everyone who knows Kavenaugh has described him as an outstanding citizien and doesn't believe Ford's false claims.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1338 on: October 06, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
Now that the Kavanaugh saga is almost to a close it feels like a giant waste of energy was spent for nothing. I doubt Ds will make much headway against the R machine with the way every conservative has lined up for Trump lately. The narrative has change not one iota since 2016. Trump has pulled all the air out of the room, not even a NYT expose can wobble this machine. Unemployment is below 4% for fcks sake, Trump is "winning" on all fronts, and now we got a conservative court to go along with the Trumpian executive and legislation branches. I predict a bloodbath for Ds. Rs will come out in full force, and the dejected Ds won't even bother...

You said it.  The dems made a mistake with this smear campaign.  The republicans are energized now, and the latest poll numbers are way up for republican enthusiasm about the election.  The dems should have been putting out the word about the republicans wanting to repeal Obamacare to improve their odds in the midterms, instead I keep hearing about unsubstantiated claims against Kavenaugh, Trump's business dealings, and collusion with Russia.  Leave it to the dems to fuck up another election.

gentmach

• Bristles
« Reply #1339 on: October 06, 2018, 01:41:05 PM »

(Sigh)
For your reading.

You seem to expect liberals to be opposed to gene-editing technology on the basis of "social inequality" and you seem to think that's somehow contradictory with support of Roe v. Wade, but I'm not opposed to gene-editing technology. I think it count be a very useful, probably sometimes life-saving, medical technique. I wish my parents had used it on me to cure me of my color-blindness. If you're worried this will result in a Gattaca-like dystopia of inequality based on genetics, then the solution isn't to outlaw the technology; the solution is universal healthcare so everyone has access to the technology.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=964508

A hypothetical scenario is "What if homosexuality has a genetic component?" Does a woman have the right to turn that gene off in her offspring? Do homosexuals have a right to be offended by such an act? If Transgenderism has a genetic component, do women have the right to act in that situation?

Basically could we have a "willful" eugenics situation.

I am pro choice and pro genetic Engineering. I'm playing devil's advocate because there is much gnashing of teeth over an issue that is only going to get more complicated as time goes by.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: October 06, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »

No. Assaulted people don't forget certain details. As Dr. Ford explained in her testimony, neurotransmitters like epinephrine encode traumatic memories into the hippocampus.

My two friends were attacked in the same fashion Dr. Ford was and in the same geographic area. I was present for one yet we stopped the attack before he got to me. I remember all of the details. You don't forget.

Plenty of other nominees have not had victims come forward, and those could have been chosen instead.

He was wanted by powerful political donors, who have won.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:06:20 PM by oldtoyota »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1341 on: October 06, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »

No. Assaulted people don't forget certain details. As Dr. Ford explained in her testimony, neurotransmitters like epinephrine encode traumatic memories into the hippocampus.

My two friends were attacked in the same fashion Dr. Ford was and in the same geographic area. I was present for one yet we stopped the attack before he got to me. I remember all of the details. You don't forget.

Plenty of other nominees have not had victims come forward, and those could have been chosen instead.

He was wanted by powerful political donors, who have won.

I was assaulted twice, by two different people.

You are wrong.

crispy

« Reply #1342 on: October 06, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »

Your words, not mine. I think the only person who lied under oath is Dr. Ford.  I just don't care that he drank too much which is something he freely admitted to.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1343 on: October 06, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
Whether you think he sexually assualted a woman, or whether you care if he did, he lied repeatedly under oath. Not lying under oath is basically the foundation of our justice system.

And now he has a lifetime appointment to the supreme Court.

crispy

« Reply #1344 on: October 06, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »
Whether you think he sexually assualted a woman, or whether you care if he did, he lied repeatedly under oath. Not lying under oath is basically the foundation of our justice system.

I would go with presumption of innocence myself.

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1345 on: October 06, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »

I would go with presumption of innocence myself.

We don't need to presume either way since we have proof. Yes, he lied under oath, repeatedly.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1346 on: October 06, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
I'm kinda wondering if Russia's covert executions (which are pretty well documented at this point) could soon extend to the Democratic candidates on the supreme court to give Trump even more picks.  Their goal of destabilizing the US by getting Trump elected worked, and this would tip things even further off-kilter.

With Kavenaugh on the court, advocating that the President of the US can't do any wrong, Trump could directly aid the Russians in performing the executions with no repercussions . . . it's not like the Republicans would complain.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:55:18 PM by GuitarStv »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1347 on: October 06, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
To anyone defending the republican stance at this point, you believe that there is a possibility Ford is lying. From where I'm sitting, that seems pretty unlikely, but yes, it's possible. So the Democrats took that information and asked for an investigation. Seems reasonable, right? They didn't stand up and point fingers and call Kavanaugh a disgrace. People did, but not democratic leadership.

Now look at the response. Kavanaugh accused Ford of lying, which again, is a possibility. We don't know that, all we have is his word, but it's possible. The proper response would be the same as the democrat's, let's have an investigation. Instead Senator Graham stands up and begins to hurl accusations, point fingers, and call the democrats a disgrace. Does Graham know what happened? Was he there in 1982? Why is OK for Lindsey to call her a liar without proof?

Don't you feel a twinge of hypocrisy here?

There's only two people who know what really happened and possibly only one as Kavanaugh may have been blackout drunk at the time. Which, oh by the way, he lied about under oath. We may not have solid corroboration of what happened that night (not getting into that debate) but we do have solid corroboration of the accusations that he was a sloppy drunk who got belligerently drunk.

ETA: Here's a sample of what I was referring to from an interview with James Roche, freshmen year roommate of Kavanaugh.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/10/03/kavanaugh_freshman_roommate_i_saw_him_do_stuff_he_said_under_oath_he_didnt_do.html

"I saw him do this stuff he said under oath that he didn't do. I saw him use words in a different way than the way he said under oath they were used," Roche said.

"Your bed was just as you said, feet away from his. Did you ever see him black out? He has testified that -- he was asked about blacking out. He said he didn’t. He said maybe sometimes he went to sleep. Did you ever see him black out?" Cooper asked.

"You know I didn’t socialize with Brett. But being in the same room where he slept, I saw him when he arrived at home regularly and I saw him in the morning. And I can tell you that -- that he would come home and he was incoherent, stumbling," Roche responded.

"He would sometimes be singing," Roche explained. "He occasionally would wear this -- I think it was an old leather football helmet and he would throw up. And then in the morning would have a lot of trouble getting out of bed."
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:06:24 PM by Dabnasty »

Norioch

• Bristles
« Reply #1348 on: October 06, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
Also maybe give the FBI more than one week to investigate? Benghazi was investigated by Republicans for years. You can spare more than one week to investigate felony allegations against a Supreme Court nominee. And actually let the FBI investigate. Let them interview people. Make more than one fucking copy of the report, and release that report to the public.