Poll

Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?

Yay!
Nay!
Who cares? The SCOTUS doesn't matter anyways.

Author Topic: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?  (Read 197911 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1150 on: October 04, 2018, 05:38:15 AM »
Politics is evil. If these people worked for a corporation how would anything ever get done when no one can agree on anything and they are only out for their own political gain. Their attitude is what is in it for me. Do they ever do anything for their constituents? Pathetic and despicable.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #1151 on: October 04, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
I am wondering which party it would be better for if Kavanaugh does not get it. Democrats can say "We won!" and Republicans would come across as incompetent losers. Or; Democrats could look like partisan hacks who are willing to character assassinate someone for the own political gain and Republicans could say they need more Republicans to approve Trumps nominees.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: October 04, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
Never once in my life have I made voting decisions based on "which party is this better for." Nor would I judge character based on party or excuse basic violations of a person based on party.

A supreme court justice should be the best model of a person with character, and of choosing to do what's right for as many people as possible, rather than taking the selfish choice or basing decisions on political party.
Are you referencing my above post? It seems like it, I am just not sure how.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1153 on: October 04, 2018, 06:27:15 AM »
I am wondering which party it would be better for if Kavanaugh does not get it. Democrats can say "We won!" and Republicans would come across as incompetent losers. Or; Democrats could look like partisan hacks who are willing to character assassinate someone for the own political gain and Republicans could say they need more Republicans to approve Trumps nominees.
Democrats opposed to Kavanaugh know that the next nominee will have views abhorrent to them.  That's what makes this a moral fight for them, not just a political fight.  They will lose on what kind of nominee the Supreme Court gets.

The fight is to stop a sexual predator from being on the court.  It's to stop someone whose entire career has been based on partisan attack from being on the court.  It's to stop someone who demonstrates that he can't listen to criticism of himself without launching a counterattack on the court.

Trump is always going to nominate someone the Democrats disagree with.  He doesn't have to nominate someone who is unfit for the position as well.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1154 on: October 04, 2018, 06:36:42 AM »
https://www.smobserved.com/story/2018/09/27/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-will-retire-from-the-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

Well, I guess I understand some of the Democrats vigilance and vitriol now. Ginsburg gone in Jan. 2019.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1155 on: October 04, 2018, 06:44:34 AM »
https://www.smobserved.com/story/2018/09/27/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-will-retire-from-the-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

Well, I guess I understand some of the Democrats vigilance and vitriol now. Ginsburg gone in Jan. 2019.
This is pretty major news.  It's weird that no major outlet has picked it up...  Particularly because she said she'll remain on the court for five more years, this summer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/07/30/ruth-bader-ginsburg-says-she-has-at-least-5-more-years-on-the-supreme-court-her-fans-rejoice/?utm_term=.ec898dd5c799
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:47:13 AM by thd7t »

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1156 on: October 04, 2018, 06:46:34 AM »

This is pretty major news.  It's weird that no major outlet has picked it up...
yeah, i saw it last week and just thought "I know what we will be talking about over the weekend." Crickets. I looked again for it today and was surprised this is the only article. I am guessing other networks can't get a source. Still weird.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1157 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:06 AM »

yeah, i saw it last week and just thought "I know what we will be talking about over the weekend." Crickets. I looked again for it today and was surprised this is the only article. I am guessing other networks can't get a source. Still weird.
I'm pretty sure it's because it's fake.  She's been pretty clear about her timeline.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1158 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »

Lol. Dude, it’s weird because it isn’t true.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: October 04, 2018, 06:50:34 AM »

Lol. Dude, it’s weird because it isn’t true.
I love that he mentions that other networks can't get a source, but the article referenced also has no sources!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1160 on: October 04, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »
Some other select Headlines from the Santa Monica Observer:

"Kanye West Appointed Under-Secretary of the Interior After Meeting at Trump Tower"

"We Have Detected 234 Alien Civilizations, Say Laval, Cornell University Astronomers"

Source: http://www.santamonicanext.org/2016/12/fake-news-santa-monica-edition/

The odd thing is it doesn't seem to be satire or completely illegitimate, just not big on verifying their sources. Lot's of normal local news there too.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1161 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:48 AM »
I always thought fake news was supposed to have a twist or just be deceptive, not blatantly wrong. You read stuff like this in the new yorker but they always give you a snippet so you know it is made up.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1162 on: October 04, 2018, 07:10:37 AM »
Some other select Headlines from the Santa Monica Observer:

"Kanye West Appointed Under-Secretary of the Interior After Meeting at Trump Tower"

The only thing that seems unusual about this headline is that Trump is appointing a black dude.  It's not unusual for the president to decide to fill an important position with an unqualified candidate that he hasn't vetted on a whim.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1163 on: October 04, 2018, 07:10:41 AM »
I always thought fake news was supposed to have a twist or just be deceptive, not blatantly wrong. You read stuff like this in the new yorker but they always give you a snippet so you know it is made up.

Fake news is made up to make people who are susceptible to it attribute blatantly partisan intentions to the other side.

Which worked on you, in this case.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1164 on: October 04, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
Democrats opposed to Kavanaugh know that the next nominee will have views abhorrent to them.
This is only true if A) the Republicans think they can ram the next nominee through in a lame duck session, or B) the Republicans retain control of the Senate in the midterms.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:16:09 AM by YttriumNitrate »

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1165 on: October 04, 2018, 07:20:54 AM »
Democrats opposed to Kavanaugh know that the next nominee will have views abhorrent to them.
This is only true if A) the Republicans think they can ram the next nominee through in a lame duck session, or B) the Republicans retain control of the Senate in the midterms.
It looks like both of those things are likely to be true.  In addition, Senators usually cross party lines on Supreme Court confirmation and even though the Republicans unilaterally blocked Merrick Garland's nomination without precedent, it's unlikely that Democrats would follow that playbook, particularly with two years of Trump's term remaining.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1166 on: October 04, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
Democrats opposed to Kavanaugh know that the next nominee will have views abhorrent to them.  That's what makes this a moral fight for them, not just a political fight.  They will lose on what kind of nominee the Supreme Court gets.

The fight is to stop a sexual predator from being on the court.
It's to stop someone whose entire career has been based on partisan attack from being on the court.  It's to stop someone who demonstrates that he can't listen to criticism of himself without launching a counterattack on the court.

Trump is always going to nominate someone the Democrats disagree with.  He doesn't have to nominate someone who is unfit for the position as well.

Kavanaugh was nominated on July 9.  The Connecticut Mirror on July 10 published that senators Blumenthal and Murphy had already announced that they would vote no on Kavanaugh. https://ctmirror.org/2018/07/10/theres-reason-ct-dems-among-first-say-theyll-vote-no-kavanaugh/ This was way before the bolded items had been alleged.  Per the article  “Judge Gorsuch had a different record and different writings,” Blumenthal said Tuesday, explaining his immediate rejection of Kavanaugh. “This is filling a different seat. This is a swing seat.” 

I do agree with your last sentence but it works in reverse as well..."Democrats are always going to disagree with whoever Trump nominates"

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »

The fight is to stop a sexual predator from being on the court.
It's to stop someone whose entire career has been based on partisan attack from being on the court.  It's to stop someone who demonstrates that he can't listen to criticism of himself without launching a counterattack on the court.

Kavanaugh was nominated on July 9.  The Connecticut Mirror on July 10 published that senators Blumenthal and Murphy had already announced that they would vote no on Kavanaugh. https://ctmirror.org/2018/07/10/theres-reason-ct-dems-among-first-say-theyll-vote-no-kavanaugh/ This was way before the bolded items had been alleged.  Per the article  “Judge Gorsuch had a different record and different writings,” Blumenthal said Tuesday, explaining his immediate rejection of Kavanaugh. “This is filling a different seat. This is a swing seat.” 

I do agree with your last sentence but it works in reverse as well..."Democrats are always going to disagree with whoever Trump nominates"
Just because some Democrats were initially opposed to Kavanaugh doesn't make your last statement true.  Gorsuch was a contentious nominee (because of the Republicans' treatment of Garland), but some Democrats crossed the aisle to vote for him.  All members of a party opposing a nominee is unusual.  To date, the Republicans have a monopoly on it.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1168 on: October 04, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
Just because some Democrats were initially opposed to Kavanaugh doesn't make your last statement true.  Gorsuch was a contentious nominee (because of the Republicans' treatment of Garland), but some Democrats crossed the aisle to vote for him.  All members of a party opposing a nominee is unusual.  To date, the Republicans have a monopoly on it.

True, 52 Democrat senators voted against Bork but 2 voted in his favor and of course 3 Democrats voted for Gorsuch.  So I will restate my sentence to "Almost all Democrats are going to disagree with whoever Trump nominates" 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1169 on: October 04, 2018, 10:00:17 AM »
Reporting on the thoroughness of the FBI investigation. The theme appears to be that there were a lot of skipped interviews with people who had corroborating testimony.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/will-the-fbi-ignore-testimonies-from-kavanaughs-former-classmates

I don't think it is so much draining the swamp as just telling people that "there is no swamp." Four lights!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache

JLee

• Walrus Stache

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1172 on: October 04, 2018, 10:27:24 AM »
I don't understand how paying either party money helps anything, but have to echo JLee here . . . how is that relevant to anything?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #1174 on: October 04, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
Relevant info

https://www.gofundme.com/help-christine-blasey-ford
https://www.gofundme.com/support-brett-kavanaugh

Thank you, I did my part to help his family.

Middle and lower income Americans donating to help unmustachian Brett fucking Kavanaugh's Nationals box seat and beer fund is peak 2018. 

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #1175 on: October 04, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »
Relevant info

Middle and lower income Americans donating to help unmustachian Brett fucking Kavanaugh's Nationals box seat and beer fund is peak 2018.

"What I'd like to do is raise money for Brett Kavanaugh's family to use for security or however they see fit." 

Yes, by all means let's give $600,000 to help cover those pesky country club fees.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1176 on: October 04, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
Relevant info

"What I'd like to do is raise money for Brett Kavanaugh's family to use for security or however they see fit." 

Yes, by all means let's give $600,000 to help cover those pesky country club fees.

Or a much needed trip to Hawaii because of all the stress he has gone thru...LOL!

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #1177 on: October 04, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »
Relevant info

Trump unearthed a population of gullible Americans who love to give their limited funds (and votes) away to those who already have more money and power than they could ever dream of.  Brett doesn't need your money. He's already squandering his ample paycheck on the kind of bullshit you'd face punch him for if he showed up around here.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1178 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
I’d rather they give the money to Kavanaugh than the re-election campaigns of anyone voting for him!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:13:38 PM by cats »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: October 04, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »
My previous predictions still stand; I think republicans will hold together and confirm Kavanaugh with a 51 seat majority, effectively telling Christine Ford and survivors across the country that coming forward with their stories is pointless.  We will officially retire the #metoo hashtag as having run its course, and return to the status quo where sexual assault typically goes unreported and unpunished.  Abusers will continue to rise to positions of power and influence.

And the ongoing escalation in the partisan warfare over judicial nominees will continue to escalate.  Mitch McConnell certainly took it to new heights, and democrats would be dumb to not follow suit.  From this point forward, I expect that no judges will get appointed to any benches without one party controlling both the presidency and the senate.  For periods of two to six years between elections that might produce that result, when the presidency and the senate are split, no judges will be appointed and we'll have hundreds or thousands of vacancies on federal courts as people continue to retire.  Case backlogs will grow to crazy lengths, trials will have to be delayed, and defendants will sit in jail for months or years waiting for their turn.  Then one election will restore single-party control, and they'll have a pre-approved list of a thousand judges that will all get approved all at once on day one, regardless of qualifications, over the outcries of the other party.  Advise and consent is done.  From here on out, I think the entire federal judiciary from the supreme court on down is just an arm of one political party or the other, depending on which party has most recently had control and stacked the deck with partisan hacks.

American jurisprudence at its finest, friends.  Try to stay out of trouble.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1180 on: October 04, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
My previous predictions still stand; I think republicans will hold together and confirm Kavanaugh with a 51 seat majority, effectively telling Christine Ford and survivors across the country that coming forward with their stories is pointless.  We will officially retire the #metoo hashtag as having run its course, and return to the status quo where sexual assault typically goes unreported and unpunished.  Abusers will continue to rise to positions of power and influence.

And the ongoing escalation in the partisan warfare over judicial nominees will continue to escalate.  Mitch McConnell certainly took it to new heights, and democrats would be dumb to not follow suit.  From this point forward, I expect that no judges will get appointed to any benches without one party controlling both the presidency and the senate.  For periods of two to six years between elections that might produce that result, when the presidency and the senate are split, no judges will be appointed and we'll have hundreds or thousands of vacancies on federal courts as people continue to retire.  Case backlogs will grow to crazy lengths, trials will have to be delayed, and defendants will sit in jail for months or years waiting for their turn.  Then one election will restore single-party control, and they'll have a pre-approved list of a thousand judges that will all get approved all at once on day one, regardless of qualifications, over the outcries of the other party.  Advise and consent is done.  From here on out, I think the entire federal judiciary from the supreme court on down is just an arm of one political party or the other, depending on which party has most recently had control and stacked the deck with partisan hacks.

I feel like I'm living in the bad reality inside one of those split-reality movies/television series.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1181 on: October 04, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »

I never did understand why so many folks want to get pounded too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1182 on: October 04, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »
Relevant info

Or a much needed trip to Hawaii because of all the stress he has gone thru...LOL!

If the FBI investigation comes back and it turns out that Kavenaugh sexually assaulted all of the women . . . do you get your money back?  Or at least a 'PROUD to support A SEX OFFENDER' bumper sticker?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1183 on: October 04, 2018, 01:31:03 PM »
Hope no one thought I was serious lol.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1184 on: October 04, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
Hope no one thought I was serious lol.

I thought you were serious.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1185 on: October 04, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I'm just glad I'm a white male with a big ass stash right now.  This country is about to get very rough for those who are not.  These are very scary times.  It reeks of 1930s Germany.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1186 on: October 04, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
I'm just glad I'm a white male with a big ass stash right now.  This country is about to get very rough for those who are not.  These are very scary times.  It reeks of 1930s Germany.

I finally met one of my neighbors one block over, one of the few houses to sport a Trump sign in 2016 in our area which is normally an 80%+ Republican voting area. I couldn't get out of that conversation fast enough once he started telling me about how he got himself the "best Jew doctor" for a surgery he needed a while back. Now I know there's going to be someone who says that's not necessarily derogatory, but I mean come on. I wish I could say he was 90 something but I'd say probably closer to 50-ish.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1187 on: October 04, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »

I finally met one of my neighbors one block over, one of the few houses to sport a Trump sign in 2016 in our area which is normally an 80%+ Republican voting area. I couldn't get out of that conversation fast enough once he started telling me about how he got himself the "best Jew doctor" for a surgery he needed a while back. Now I know there's going to be someone who says that's not necessarily derogatory, but I mean come on. I wish I could say he was 90 something but I'd say probably closer to 50-ish.

What did you say in response? I hope you called him out.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1188 on: October 04, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »

You forgot: the next party to control multiple branches will expand the supreme court to be able to place more of their nominees.  It's size is not set by the constitution.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1189 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »

We will continue to fight for all and not just the privileged.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1190 on: October 04, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »

I'm going to venture a different guess.  Murkowski votes against Kavanaugh.  All Democrats and all other Republicans vote in their bloc.  Pence makes the tie-breaking vote.  End result is the same, but I think we end up there a different way.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #1191 on: October 04, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
This is another reminder that Brett Kavanaugh lied under oath about what he meant by 1. Renate Alumnus and 2. Devil's Triangle.  For those who find his drinking history irrelevant, this is a reminder that you still don't get to lie under oath just because you don't like the questions.  Something Brett made his name on when he helped Ken Starr go after Bill Clinton, eventually landing on his affair with Monica Lewinksy during an investigation of Arkansas real estate transactions. 

If you support Brett Kavanaugh, you are fully OK with lying under oath.  Unless you have some kind of convincing explanation as to why Brett Kavanaugh was a church-going, service-minded, sensitive-stomached, nice young man who never drank but bragged about a drinking game that the rest of the world understood to be a sexual practice.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1192 on: October 04, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
^^^ Yes.

Former SC Justice John Paul Stephens says Kavanaugh's behavior at the hearings was disqualifying. He withdraws his support.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/800007/former-supreme-court-justice-john-paul-stevens-says-kavanaughs-performance-during-hearings-disqualifying

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #1193 on: October 04, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »

That was always going to happen. This is all just academic. Nothing could have ever made them vote against Kavanaugh. Literally nothing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1194 on: October 04, 2018, 03:23:35 PM »
^^^ Yes.

Former SC Justice John Paul Stephens says Kavanaugh's behavior at the hearings was disqualifying. He withdraws his support.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/800007/former-supreme-court-justice-john-paul-stevens-says-kavanaughs-performance-during-hearings-disqualifying

I wish it mattered.  I wish any of it mattered.

Democratic senators like Booker are pushing back against the republican talking point that the FBI report exonerates Kavanaugh.  He says it was too limited to either corroborate or refute the allegations, but at least confirms that Ford's story is consistent with known facts.  And that there are a number of things in the report that suggest Kavanaugh has been lying to the Senate.  Remember that Jeff Flake and Donald Trump both said that lying to the Senate would be disqualifying, and yet here we are forging ahead with the confirmation anyway.

McConnell pushed this same strategy with tax reform (successfully) and with health care reform (unsuccessfully).  Rather than work out a back room deal to get everyone on board, which is the usual strategy in closely contested decisions, he's just going to dare his fellow republicans to oppose him by forcing the vote as-is.  They only failed on healthcare because John McCain was staring death in the face and decided to do what he thought was right. 

I'm pretty sure Flake will fold, because he always does.  Murkowski and Collins might try to make a stand of it, but Mitch will whip them back into line.  At best, the two of them will work out a deal where one gets to oppose on principal as long as the other one caves and "saves" the confirmation, allowing the no-voter to appear sympathetic to sexual assault victims while simultaneously promoting a sexual assault perpetrator. 

I have no optimism left.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1195 on: October 04, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
^^^ Yes.

I wish it mattered.  I wish any of it mattered.

Democratic senators like Booker are pushing back against the republican talking point that the FBI report exonerates Kavanaugh.  He says it was too limited to either corroborate or refute the allegations, but at least confirms that Ford's story is consistent with known facts.  And that there are a number of things in the report that suggest Kavanaugh has been lying to the Senate.  Remember that Jeff Flake and Donald Trump both said that lying to the Senate would be disqualifying, and yet here we are forging ahead with the confirmation anyway.

McConnell pushed this same strategy with tax reform (successfully) and with health care reform (unsuccessfully).  Rather than work out a back room deal to get everyone on board, which is the usual strategy in closely contested decisions, he's just going to dare his fellow republicans to oppose him by forcing the vote as-is.  They only failed on healthcare because John McCain was staring death in the face and decided to do what he thought was right. 

I'm pretty sure Flake will fold, because he always does.  Murkowski and Collins might try to make a stand of it, but Mitch will whip them back into line.  At best, the two of them will work out a deal where one gets to oppose on principal as long as the other one caves and "saves" the confirmation, allowing the no-voter to appear sympathetic to sexual assault victims while simultaneously promoting a sexual assault perpetrator. 

I have no optimism left.

Flake and Collins have both already said they're satisfied with the FBI's report. They'll vote for him. There's no moral compass left in the GOP at all.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »
Kinda makes me feel democracy is a bit of a farce at this point, isn't it? I live in North Carolina, and I feel our politics have been taken hostage.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #1197 on: October 04, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
Kinda makes me feel democracy is a bit of a farce at this point, isn't it? I live in North Carolina, and I feel our politics have been taken hostage.
It's discouraging and frustrating. We're at the end of a 30-year power grab strategy.  It isn't the first and won't be the last.

If you're feeling overwhelmed and down, stop watching the dumpster fire that is national news and get involved locally. Go to your city council meetings, school board meetings etc, volunteer where you can. Vote and get your friends to vote. There's good that can be done.

And I disagree with the idea that this has all been a wasted effort by Ford. Her testimony was inspiring. The number of toolkits I've seen published, the discussions etc on sites other than here has been fantastic in terms of what men/women can do when they find themselves in bad situations, what recourse they have, how they don't 'owe' anyone anything, even phrasing for how to say 'No'...  Like I'm from Nowhere, USA and that kind of toolkit was def not available to me and we definitely didn't discuss any of that as kids. It's great they're doing it now and it will have a lasting impact.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1198 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »
I'm just going to build my stash pile bigger and bigger.   FIRE may be put on hold for a while.   Things could get very expensive going forward and I'm not feeling the confidence to put away the cash FIRE hose yet.  We can lose so many things if they hold the court, House, Senate and Whitehouse.   We could lose Social Security and Medicare.  You'd better have a damn good plan B.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: October 04, 2018, 06:16:52 PM »
Relevant info

The first gofundme shows that people have donated $536,000
The second gofundme shows that people have donated $594,000

This is the worst episode of the twilight zone ever.

I'm going to venture a different guess.  Murkowski votes against Kavanaugh.  All Democrats and all other Republicans vote in their bloc.  Pence makes the tie-breaking vote.  End result is the same, but I think we end up there a different way.

What for? Flake is the only one who has nothing to lose, since he is retiring. The other two are keeping their seats and will need to ask favors from the Republican leadership from time to time.

The three of them are perfectly capable of talking to each other and determining among themselves which way the wind is going to blow. They're also perfectly capable of telling the Republican leadership their plans to avoid an embarrassing failed vote and the stronger retribution that would come with it. Either the vote is canceled at the last minute, they vote "yes" as a bloc, or only Flake votes no (nothing to lose, Pence breaks the tie).

I could be wrong if either Collins or Murkowski sees more benefit in potentially gaining home-state Democratic voters than the loss from potentially weathering a re-election challenge from the right.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!