Poll

Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?

Yay!
Nay!
Who cares? The SCOTUS doesn't matter anyways.

Author Topic: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?  (Read 197705 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1700 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:00 AM »
Fuck Kansas. I bought groceries there once at a trader joes and the tax was 11%. ON FUCKING GROCERIES. Not like take out prepared meal groceries, but produce, meat, etc. I was so flabbergasted I made some overt ststements to the cashier who had to try to politely explain Brownbackism to me. Never again, Kansas. Talk about a regressive tax on the poor.

That just plain sucks.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: October 21, 2018, 03:33:27 PM »
Fuck Kansas. I bought groceries there once at a trader joes and the tax was 11%. ON FUCKING GROCERIES. Not like take out prepared meal groceries, but produce, meat, etc. I was so flabbergasted I made some overt ststements to the cashier who had to try to politely explain Brownbackism to me. Never again, Kansas. Talk about a regressive tax on the poor.

Repellent Republican policies in practice.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1702 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
Too soon?

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1703 on: October 23, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »

Repellent Republican policies in practice.

In Oregon, democrats tried to instate a sales tax, er, I mean a "gross receipts" tax (a distinction without a difference) to plug the budget holes left by decades of catering to thier public employee union donors... and it would have applied to groceries. Now they oppose a bill designed specifically to prevent democrats from taxing groceries with such a tax. 

Repellent Leftist policies in practice.

I don't know the details of Brownback's fiscal policy (It sounds reckless and poorly considered), but you CANNOT call a sales tax on groceries an exclusively (repellent) republican policy, nor can you judge an entire tax scheme based on a single element.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #1704 on: October 29, 2018, 09:29:01 AM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1705 on: October 29, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/10/27/nothing_to_gain_kavanaugh_accusers_coffers_are_growing.html

Cashing in. Gotta pay for renovations on that beach house, doncha know.

FFS.

This article is just such garbage.

I'm embarrassed for you, Tom.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1706 on: October 29, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »
https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/10/27/nothing_to_gain_kavanaugh_accusers_coffers_are_growing.html

FFS.

Don't feed the troll ( :

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1707 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »

FFS.

Don't feed the troll ( :

True. I forget who a lot of the trolls are. It just seems so pointless to spend time being one.

But I guess, if that's all you have going on...

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1708 on: October 29, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »

JLee

• Walrus Stache

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1710 on: October 29, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

Yup, saw this one coming.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Kavanaugh isn't far behind - https://www.gofundme.com/support-brett-kavanaugh

Nothing, other than illustrating how people who point out Ford's gofundme really don't like to talk about Kavanaugh's.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1711 on: October 29, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »

Nothing, other than illustrating how people who point out Ford's gofundme really don't like to talk about Kavanaugh's.

Because I don't think its relevant, he wasn't seeking attention to this matter obviously.  The opinion of some seems to be that Ford had a lot to gain.  Speculation is that this could net 10+M.  I'm cynical enough to know it's certainly a possibility.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:19:36 PM by dustinst22 »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1712 on: October 29, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

Because I don't think its relevant, he wasn't seeking attention to this matter obviously.  The opinion of some seems to be that Ford had a lot to gain.  Speculation is that this could net 10+M.  I'm cynical enough to know it's certainly a possibility.

LOL. Ford has a lot to gain.

LOL.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1713 on: October 29, 2018, 12:52:55 PM »

LOL.

I don't know, you know I've heard from a lot of people, I mean people, you know people are saying, a lot of people are saying that Ford had a lot to gain. Credible people! 

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1714 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »

LOL.

I don't know, you know I've heard from a lot of people, I mean people, you know people are saying, a lot of people are saying that Ford had a lot to gain. Credible people!

Next we'll be told that Clinton and Obama sent bombs to themselves and that jet fuel cannot melt steel.

Should have invested in tin foil hat stock. Doh!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1715 on: October 29, 2018, 02:09:04 PM »
Question.

Has Kavanaugh made any decisions yet?

If I had been given a job to do and haven't done any work for three weeks I'd probably be fired by now.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1716 on: October 29, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
This just in: Liberals say this isn't over, they're going to take this all the way to the Supreme Court

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1717 on: October 29, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
This just in: Liberals say this isn't over, they're going to take this all the way to the Supreme Court

Hilarious. If you change "liberals" to "libtards" you'll be redstate.com worthy.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1719 on: October 30, 2018, 06:26:03 AM »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1720 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
Next we'll be told that Clinton and Obama sent bombs to themselves ...
Someone told this guy already:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-supporter-says-hillary-and-obama-probably-sent-bombs-to-themselves_us_5bd4969de4b0d38b58840c62

Yep, precisely why I included it with other nonsensical conspiracies. There is a noticeable pattern here with Trump supporters.

https://www.livescience.com/63658-why-people-believe-conspiracy-theories.html

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1721 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »
Question.

If I had been given a job to do and haven't done any work for three weeks I'd probably be fired by now.

He's been part of all hearings--therefore all decisions--since being seated on Oct. 8. Decisions are typically offered after a delay following the hearing.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1723 on: October 30, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
Question.

Supreme Court Justices don't make individual decisions. The court issues opinions as a whole.  A justice may choose to write a separate statement to support or dissent when an opinion is released though.
No opinions of the court have been released in 2018.
They are publicly available and will be found here:
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinion/18

He has done plenty of work. He has attended all hearings since being seated. He has asked questions and been attentive.

I do not think he should have been confirmed; but there is nothing yet to say the guy has not done his job.  I'll wait until he starts stripping people of their rights to be outraged.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1724 on: October 30, 2018, 09:35:41 PM »

"The opinion of some..." Sounds like something Trump would say.

Troll.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:47:42 AM by MasterStache »

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1728 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-11-02%20CEG%20to%20DOJ%20FBI%20%28Munro-Leighton%20Referral%29%20with%20redacted%20enclosures.pdf

One of the accusers has recanted.

Just to be clear, that anonymous rape accusation was never brought up publicly, and also was not recanted. 

Instead, this lady sent in someone else's unsubstantiated letter as her own, then admitted to doing so.  If this story had ever been publicized as one of Kavanaugh's four accusers, you'd have a better case to argue "one of his acusers has recanted" because none of those four have done so.  This lady never testified under oath, never met with a lawyer, never anything except send someone else's misappropriated letter to congress.

That is not recanting.  The original author of that letter appears to still be unknown, but has not recanted it.  This lady who stole the letter admitted to sending it as if it were her own, and is being prosecuted for it.  Not the same thing as recanting.

But I suppose you'll call that fake news, right?

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #1729 on: November 02, 2018, 11:56:53 PM »
Question.

The justices hold weekly conferences during the term, where they discuss the cases they heard argument for the week before. After the discussion they vote on the outcome. The senior justice in the majority assigns the opinion to one of the members in the majority.

Kavanaugh has certainly voted in conference, and if there were any straightforward unanimous cases he may have been assigned the opinion to get his first one out of the way. He may also be writing a dissenting opinion for any cases where he was not with the majority. IIRC, Gorsuch wrote a descent quite early last term.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1730 on: November 03, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2018-11-02%20CEG%20to%20DOJ%20FBI%20%28Munro-Leighton%20Referral%29%20with%20redacted%20enclosures.pdf

Just to be clear, that anonymous rape accusation was never brought up publicly, and also was not recanted. 

Instead, this lady sent in someone else's unsubstantiated letter as her own, then admitted to doing so.  If this story had ever been publicized as one of Kavanaugh's four accusers, you'd have a better case to argue "one of his acusers has recanted" because none of those four have done so.  This lady never testified under oath, never met with a lawyer, never anything except send someone else's misappropriated letter to congress.

That is not recanting.  The original author of that letter appears to still be unknown, but has not recanted it.  This lady who stole the letter admitted to sending it as if it were her own, and is being prosecuted for it.  Not the same thing as recanting.

Thanks for the info. Why would I call it fake news if it's true? That isn't what the link I provided says, but you may have information I have not seen. It was brought up in a committee hearing. 

I have tried to be civil, polite, and look at both sides. I've asked for clarification from people who seem to have info I don't. 

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1731 on: November 04, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

Sorry Sol, went back and looked at it again, and on this one you are wrong. She DID accuse him of rape, and she DID recant. So my original post on this was 100% correct. That she played a weird game with some other person's letter is besides the point. She is just another nutty political activist.

By the way, did you read the letter? Amazing! Like some bodice-ripper. How anyone took that seriously I can't guess.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1732 on: November 04, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
How anyone took that seriously I can't guess.

There were also people who took Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl's accusations against Mueller seriously.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1733 on: November 04, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »
How anyone took that seriously I can't guess.

I don't think anybody did take it seriously, which may be why it was never reported in the national news the way the other allegations were.

And lets not forget that the same process that revealed that this lady's story seems fabricated also determined that the other stores seemed genuine.  Republicans still claimed "we'll never know for sure" and then promoted old Brett anyway.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1734 on: November 05, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »

Sorry Sol, went back and looked at it again, and on this one you are wrong. She DID accuse him of rape, and she DID recant. So my original post on this was 100% correct. That she played a weird game with some other person's letter is besides the point. She is just another nutty political activist.

By the way, did you read the letter? Amazing! Like some bodice-ripper. How anyone took that seriously I can't guess.

Hmm. It's almost like you are saying there is a process in place to distinguish between credible, and non-credible accusations. And that it works. Trump admitted that Ford's statement were credible. But then attacked her, a bunch of conspiracy crap thrown at her including fake photoes. After Kavanaugh was confirmed when asked again, Trump stated "it doesn't matter. We won."

That pretty much sums it up.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1735 on: November 05, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »

Let's go back to your original statement, "One of the accusers has recanted". Technically speaking this may be a true statement but it is misleading at best and debatably untrue within the context of this thread.

When you say "one of the accusers" this implies one of the 4 accusers who have been discussed in this thread. The woman you are referring to was not one of them. If you had said "One of the accusers" It would have been less misleading, but still largely irrelevant.

Basically the standards for your statement to be true are low enough that any one of us could make an accusation against Kavanaugh today, recant it tomorrow, and the same would be true of us. Do you really think this is relevant to the discussion?

ETA: Just found Trump's tweet regarding this other accuser

"A vicious accuser of Justice Kavanaugh has just admitted that she was lying, her story was totally made up, or FAKE! Can you imagine if he didn’t become a Justice of the Supreme Court because of her disgusting False Statements. What about the others? Where are the Dems on this?"
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 3, 2018

Even Trump didn't go as far as to refer to her as "One of the accusers". His statement is however misleading for other reasons.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:33:35 PM by Dabnasty »

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1736 on: November 05, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »
So let me get this straight.  One accuser has recanted, and one of the "original 4" mentioned above has a history of making false accusations (Julie Swetnick).  She lied to her former employer that she had a degree from John Hopkins University when she didn't.  She made accusations against her employer of making "unwanted sexual innuendo" at her workplace, and later sued the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority on the grounds that a fall she had on a train cost her a lucrative modeling gig.  She's also been involved in over 6 cases in the past 20 yrs.  This was a lame attempt to get into the media glare.  I hope any false accusers get punished by the maximum amount allowable.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:46:53 PM by dustinst22 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1737 on: November 05, 2018, 06:14:28 PM »
I hope any false accusers get punished by the maximum amount allowable.

Agreed.  It's one of the reasons that I wanted a full investigation done.  Guilty parties should be held responsible for their actions.  By blocking a proper investigation, the Republicans prevented this from happening.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1738 on: November 06, 2018, 06:03:08 AM »
I hope any false accusers get punished by the maximum amount allowable.

Agreed.  It's one of the reasons that I wanted a full investigation done.  Guilty parties should be held responsible for their actions.  By blocking a proper investigation, the Republicans prevented this from happening.

+1

The double standard is so blatantly obvious.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1739 on: November 09, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »
So yeah. It’s obvious that Christine Blasey Ford accused Kavanaugh because of everything she had to gain /s

https://www.scarymommy.com/christine-blasey-ford-death-threats-2/?utm_source=FB

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1740 on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
Pat Robertson also said that  Trump’s best course of action after the indictments against his former campaign staffers is to issue a “blanket pardon” to anyone indicted in connection with the investigations into Russia and shut down Robert Mueller’s “tainted” special counsel investigation.  He is also a past president of the Council for National Policy.  I used to make fun of conspiracy theorists, still do, but these people all have weird interconnections that freak me out.

There is a podcast on Stitcher called "The Dream" about MLMs. A good listen. Episode 10 - they connect many of the big names. Wow...