Poll

Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?

Yay!
Nay!
Who cares? The SCOTUS doesn't matter anyways.

Author Topic: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?  (Read 197677 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1550 on: October 10, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
Expected disgusting reactions from the Kavanugh defenders:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/christine-blasey-ford-apos-t-171631852.html

... Anyone who still thinks she purposefully lied while having nothing to gain but everything to lose is a total asshat. Just putting it bluntly.

Anita Hill got a great job, fame and money. Ford will almost certainly get the same. Movie rights, book contracts, go-fund-mes. NOT saying these are her motives, but they certainly are at least plausible.

Wow.

Just wow.

Not really sure that all this filthy lucre you think Ford is gonna get will make up for the death threats, having to have her family in hiding under guard, etc., dude.

Jesus.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1551 on: October 10, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »

... Anyone who still thinks she purposefully lied while having nothing to gain but everything to lose is a total asshat. Just putting it bluntly.

Anita Hill got a great job, fame and money. Ford will almost certainly get the same. Movie rights, book contracts, go-fund-mes. NOT saying these are her motives, but they certainly are at least plausible.

I guess what bothers me, one thing anyway, is that clearly Diane Feinstein didn't initially believe the allegations. If she had, she would have brought them up in late July or in August, so they could be discussed in due time. The way it was done clearly indicates she didn't think they were worthwhile to introduce. That last minute play was desperation, and in and of itself enough reason for Repubs to force a vote.

wut

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #1552 on: October 10, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »

I guess what bothers me, one thing anyway, is that clearly Diane Feinstein didn't initially believe the allegations. If she had, she would have brought them up in late July or in August, so they could be discussed in due time. The way it was done clearly indicates she didn't think they were worthwhile to introduce. That last minute play was desperation, and in and of itself enough reason for Repubs to force a vote.

No. She clearly has stated that she left the decision up to Ford and if I were Ford I would absolutely wait until the last possible moment in the vain hope that he would be eliminated for one of the other very viable reasons (not as qualified as others on the list, temperament, the stolen docs, the weird debt thing, etc) in order to avoid the death threats/keep my kids safe.

MiserlyMiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1553 on: October 10, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »

No. She clearly has stated that she left the decision up to Ford and if I were Ford I would absolutely wait until the last possible moment in the vain hope that he would be eliminated for one of the other very viable reasons (not as qualified as others on the list, temperament, the stolen docs, the weird debt thing, etc) in order to avoid the death threats/keep my kids safe.
Yeah, in my opinion, the politically expedient thing for Senator Feinstein would have been to make the allegations public earlier.  She did not, because she respected that it was Dr. Ford's decision to make and she has integrity.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1554 on: October 10, 2018, 11:42:34 AM »

There have been many high profile false rape/sexual assault allegations with much less obvious up side for the accuser.  Some of these are presumably driven by revenge.  In recent times, being a "survivor" of sexual assault is almost a badge of honor.  The UVa hoax seemed to reveal a desire to belong to the "survivor" club among some college women.  In the Blasey-Ford case, her politics and those of her close friends may provide a clear incentive to take down a Trump S. Ct. nominee.  Then again, this may be a false memory.  Who knows.  There is no real corroboration.  The so-called evidence she provided wouldn't be nearly sufficient for a finding of liability in a civil suit (preponderance of evidence) much less in a criminal proceeding (beyond a reasonable doubt).  I believe many of those posting here desperately want for him to be guilty because they don't want him on the court.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1555 on: October 10, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
In my opinion, the politically expedient thing for Senator Feinstein would have been to make the allegations public earlier.  She did not, because she respected that it was Dr. Ford's decision to make and she has integrity.

Ford also wanted her name to remain anonymous, that wish wasn't respected. 

I'm sure as time passes we'll find the truth behind how this circus was handled by Diane Feinstein and the attorneys representing Dr. Ford as well as some extremely deep-pocketed interests. Maybe even more about Dr. Ford herself.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1556 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »

Yeah, in my opinion, the politically expedient thing for Senator Feinstein would have been to make the allegations public earlier.  She did not, because she respected that it was Dr. Ford's decision to make and she has integrity.
This information could have been brought to Grassley's attention and investigated confidentially.  That was never the goal of the Dems.  They chose to hold it until the last minute and then drop it into the public domain to derail the nomination.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »
It sounds like Kavanaugh has already asked more questions than Thomas has in his tenure.

And Sotomayor assaulted him on the bench.  (She pinched him, to illustrate a point in her question.)
Sotomayor pinched Gorsuch, not Kavanaugh.  I would be surprised if Sotomayor and Kavanaugh have the kind of rapport that she would feel comfortable pinching him to make a point, at least not on his first day. 
Not that it matters much, but it's just that the facts have been widely mistaken/ignored/misrepresented during this process, and this one, at least, is simple and should be non-controversial to correct.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whitehouse/trump-apologizes-to-kavanaugh-during-swearing-in-ceremony/2018/10/08/d3ee7484-cb5c-11e8-ad0a-0e01efba3cc1_story.html?utm_term=.9e23a71dc55c

This thread is bizarre.  Posts here decry physical assult on women but now it is ok to physically pinch someone, a colleage on the Supreme Court. It is all jokey. Girls will be girls! And girls pinch!  But ONLY if they “feel comfortable.”

Are you people listening to yourselves?

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1558 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
It sounds like Kavanaugh has already asked more questions than Thomas has in his tenure.

And Sotomayor assaulted him on the bench.  (She pinched him, to illustrate a point in her question.)
Sotomayor pinched Gorsuch, not Kavanaugh.  I would be surprised if Sotomayor and Kavanaugh have the kind of rapport that she would feel comfortable pinching him to make a point, at least not on his first day. 
Not that it matters much, but it's just that the facts have been widely mistaken/ignored/misrepresented during this process, and this one, at least, is simple and should be non-controversial to correct.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/whitehouse/trump-apologizes-to-kavanaugh-during-swearing-in-ceremony/2018/10/08/d3ee7484-cb5c-11e8-ad0a-0e01efba3cc1_story.html?utm_term=.9e23a71dc55c

This thread is bizarre.  Posts here decry physical assult on women but now it is ok to physically pinch someone, a colleage on the Supreme Court. It is all jokey. Girls will be girls! And girls pinch!  But ONLY if they “feel comfortable.”

This could be a hate crime.  Based on some of her previous statements, the "wise latina" certainly appears to have it in for white men.

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said in a speech at 2001 at the University of California, Berkeley, law school. She made similar statements at other such events.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sotomayor-explains-wise-latina-comment/

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1559 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »

This is either shamelessly cynical whataboutism or utter madness.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1560 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »

She pinched his *robe.*

Man, the desperation to make the "both sides" argument is strong...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-10/ginsburg-temporarily-blocks-ross-deposition-in-census-lawsuit

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1561 on: October 10, 2018, 12:20:15 PM »

Jokes abounded during the session. At one point, Justice Sonia Sotomayor playfully pinched Justice Neil Gorsuch’s robe to illustrate a question about the reach of the federal statute that was at issue. Gorsuch reacted with feigned surprise, bringing the packed courtroom to laughter.

Sure sounds like pretty much the same thing as knocking a woman to the bed, climbing on top of her, holding a hand over her mouth so that she has trouble breathing, and drunkenly ripping the clothes off of her.  To a Republican.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1562 on: October 10, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »

Jokes abounded during the session. At one point, Justice Sonia Sotomayor playfully pinched Justice Neil Gorsuch’s robe to illustrate a question about the reach of the federal statute that was at issue. Gorsuch reacted with feigned surprise, bringing the packed courtroom to laughter.

Sure sounds like pretty much the same thing as knocking a woman to the bed, climbing on top of her, holding a hand over her mouth so that she has trouble breathing, and drunkenly ripping the clothes off of her.  To a Republican.

Much more likely that Sen. Menendez had sex with underage prostitutes in the Dominican republic.  The Obama Justice Department said they had corroborating evidence.  Outrageous that he still has his Senate seat.  I know - whataboutism.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/24/feds-say-corroborating-evidence-backed-menendez-prostitution-claims

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1563 on: October 10, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »

If you believe that happened.  No evidence it did.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1564 on: October 10, 2018, 12:38:10 PM »

She pinched his *robe.*

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-10/ginsburg-temporarily-blocks-ross-deposition-in-census-lawsuit

Ok, I didnt know it was fabric on his person, not his actual person, that she playfully pinched.
That is different, I agtee.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1565 on: October 10, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »

She pinched his *robe.*

Ok, I didnt know it was fabric on his person, not his actual person, that she playfully pinched.
That is different, I agtee.

Thank you.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1566 on: October 10, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »

Probably no assult is the best course of action, none at all.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: October 10, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that literally every post by craimund is in a political thread?

As this is primarily a financial / ER forum, I am curious what would motivate someone to find this place, register here, and start posting exclusively in political threads.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1568 on: October 10, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that literally every post by craimund is in a political thread?

As this is primarily a financial / ER forum, I am curious what would motivate someone to find this place, register here, and start posting exclusively in political threads.

Someone with an ax to grind, I guess.

In his defense, sort of, when I joined I lurked for a long time, then primarily posted in the financial threads for a while, and now I almost exclusively post in Off Topic.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1569 on: October 10, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »

In his defense, sort of, when I joined I lurked for a long time, then primarily posted in the financial threads for a while, and now I almost exclusively post in Off Topic.

Sure, but you had a reason to be here in the first place.  This person registered on Christmas day last year and immediately began posting in controversial political threads, and has not ventured onto any other topics since.

It's....odd.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1570 on: October 10, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

Sure, but you had a reason to be here in the first place.  This person registered on Christmas day last year and immediately began posting in controversial political threads, and has not ventured onto any other topics since.

It's....odd.

Huh. Yeah, I see what you mean.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1571 on: October 10, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »

It's....odd.

Interestingly, most are fallacy arguments.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1572 on: October 10, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

It's....odd.

Interestingly, most are fallacy arguments.

Ha -- yeah, I was gonna point out his ridiculous goalpost fallacy argument above, but I've seen enough of Craimund to know it wouldn't make a difference.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1573 on: October 10, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Much more likely that Sen. Menendez had sex with underage prostitutes in the Dominican republic.  The Obama Justice Department said they had corroborating evidence.  Outrageous that he still has his Senate seat.  I know - whataboutism.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/24/feds-say-corroborating-evidence-backed-menendez-prostitution-claims

I agree with you on all counts here.

You are (knowingly) using whataboutism in an attempt to normalize what happened with Kavenaugh.

It is outrageous that this democratic senator still has his senate seat.  He should be removed, there are better candidates.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1574 on: October 10, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »
Craiumud, methinks are a troll. A not super-successful troll, in that his posts contain extreme claims, with no shred of evidence, and not in continuity with the rest of the thread. I'm sure he/she will get better. Even Limbaugh had to start somewhere.

there are a couple forums including this forum I post on because of the topics, the posters are smarter than the average chipmunk and they are not unundated with trolls. I don't see that happening here yet, but once a forum gets past a certain tipping point in trolls, the forum loses control, its usefulness drops, and responsible posters drop out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:54:49 PM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1575 on: October 10, 2018, 02:08:28 PM »

If you believe that happened.  No evidence it did.

People keep saying that. It is not true. If you look up types of evidence, in court, a main type of evidence is witness and sworn testimony. that's what Ford provided. Her testimony was actually supported by: she knew these people and even Kavanaugh admitted she was in the same social circle. She happened to name not just him but the names of close friends, and that the same names were mentioned in a calendar date of Kavanaugh's. That calendar date was the same time frame she believes it occurred (the summer before senior year).
I agree there is not ENOUGH evidence for beyond a reasonable doubt, but that is true for almost all sexual assault cases. For whatever reason rape and sexual assault conviction rates are very low (but that's room for another thread here). Believe me, if anyone was able to prove this did NOT happen, they would be coming forward. Instead the only people interviewed 6 of the 9 were friends or former friends of Kavanaugh who would have compelling reasons to support Kavanaugh's version over her's. Hopefully, I do not have to explain after 25 years there would not be any physical evidence, or the many reasons why someone who was assaulted in their teens did not come forward publically about it at the time. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/holton-arms-alumnae-ford-accusations-kavanaughOther people DID notice a change in her behavior in the same time frame: as one classmate noticed, it was like "she dropped off the face of the earth". So that leaves you with the time machine to alter her behavior at the time of this event and also in 2012, 2016 to her reports to her therapists, or the chestnut she was somehow mistaken and couldn't correctly identify someone she knew socially prior to the event. 

"In systems of proof based on the English common law tradition, almost all evidence must be sponsored by a witness, who has sworn or solemnly affirmed to tell the truth. The bulk of the law of evidence regulates the types of evidence that may be sought from witnesses and the manner in which the interrogation of witnesses is conducted such as during direct examination and cross-examination of witnesses. Other types of evidentiary rules specify the standards of persuasion (e.g., proof beyond a reasonable doubt) that a trier of fact—whether judge or jury—must apply when it assesses evidence."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:20:04 PM by partgypsy »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1576 on: October 10, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Don't feed the trolls. If you identify someone as trolling, do not engage.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1577 on: October 10, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Don't feed the trolls. If you identify someone as trolling, do not engage.

+1. Some trolls are just blatantly obvious. I've seen some come and go and a couple that are surpringsly still around.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1578 on: October 11, 2018, 04:09:02 AM »
The Chief Justice has just referred 15 complaints about Kavanaugh's conduct for investigation and determination by a Federal Appeals Court.  Serious enough complaints for the Chief Justice not to be able to dismiss them, then.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/the-ethics-complaints-against-justice-brett-kavanaugh

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #1579 on: October 11, 2018, 06:45:09 AM »

Are you honestly arguing that Anita Hill and Christine Blasey Ford are better off for having gone public?

Not at all, but it's certainly a plausible motivator. People murder for money, after all. Money, fame, social acceptance, a better teaching gig at a higher-ranked school. Only time will tell if she cashes in like Hill did.

Incidentally, after reading the rest of the posts on this page, I guess I'll stop here. I don't disbelieve Ford, and her story is certainly plausible, but nothing more. At this point in this thread no new info is coming out, so it's all just shouting slogans.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:58:37 AM by Tom Bri »

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1580 on: October 11, 2018, 06:54:56 AM »

Are you honestly arguing that Anita Hill and Christine Blasey Ford are better off for having gone public?

Not at all, but it's certainly a plausible motivator. People murder for money, after all. Money, fame, social acceptance, a better teaching gig at a higher-ranked school. Only time will tell.

Not feeding the troll any further.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #1581 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »
One last thought about Kavanaugh.

It would have been best had he withdrawn and someone else been nominated, except...

There is little reason to believe some character assassination wouldn't have happened again. Feinstein was ready to call Barrett a religious nut. I am glad Kavanaugh stuck it out. He may become too much of a distraction and should quit soon, maybe early next year if Repubs hold the Senate. But then again who would replace him? What is the alternative?

This country is polarized and the media gives the attention to the extremes. I agree it is an important job and just a handful in the country; if there is any question just find someone else. However, that is not the problem. The problem is people are fighting too much, nothing would have satisfied the left so long as the nominee was picked and approved by Republicans. If not Kavanaugh, what are the options?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1582 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
nothing would have satisfied the left so long as the nominee was picked and approved by Republicans. If not Kavanaugh, what are the options?

That seems like a bold assertion when "the left" had just finished confirming other republican nominees, despite congressional republicans refusing to hold hearings on any Obama nominee, no matter how qualified, solely because Obama was a democrat.  I think you're projecting.  The concerns you express are exactly what republicans just did, and not something democrats have ever done, so complaining about democrats for this reason seems silly.

MiserlyMiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1583 on: October 11, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

There is little reason to believe some character assassination wouldn't have happened again. Feinstein was ready to call Barrett a religious nut. I am glad Kavanaugh stuck it out. He may become too much of a distraction and should quit soon, maybe early next year if Repubs hold the Senate. But then again who would replace him? What is the alternative?

Except, there were no allegations made about Neil Gorsuch.  Or Merrick Garland, Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor, Samuel Alito, John Roberts, or Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  I'm not aware of any allegations of sexual misconduct that have been made against any Supreme Court nominee, except for Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh.  Opposing someone's candidacy because of how her religious views inform her legal philosophy and her rulings--which is what I understand the Democratic opposition to Amy Barrett to be (I hadn't heard that Sen. Feinstein was calling her a "religious nut," and I definitely wouldn't support that terminology)--is not "character assassination."

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1584 on: October 11, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »

Not at all, but it's certainly a plausible motivator. People murder for money, after all. Money, fame, social acceptance, a better teaching gig at a higher-ranked school. Only time will tell.

Not feeding the troll any further.

Good call. As Martin Luther King Jr. once said "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1585 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
For the next time

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1586 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
This thread eventually moved so quickly that I was unable to keep up. If I was asked any questions to which I didn't respond, I'm sorry. Rather than read, I could only use how recently it had been updated as a measure of whether the Kavanaugh issue was still roiling our Society. I think we've finally had 24 hours in which it wasn't updated.

I read this David French piece (perhaps one of you linked to it already) about how we're more divided than ever on this matter, and I worry for our country: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/kavanaugh-fight-left-america-divided/572554/ Although I tended to side with the Ford defenders on this matter, I want to express appreciation for those of you who maintained strong arguments on the Republican side...I'm grateful for the well-thought-out opinions on this site, especially those that challenge me.

I also listened to the Slate podcast "Slow Burn" about the rape allegations against President Clinton in 1998, and it's clear to me that the forces that put us into this divided place today are not recent ones. It was not that long ago that a lot of people were basically switching sides on these matters. I heartily recommend this podcast.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1587 on: October 12, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
about how we're more divided than ever on this matter, and I worry for our country:

Careful, this is what the media wants us to think -- a country divided is good for revenues.  As taught by Alinsky, the media seeks to create the conflicts, they want the violence and chaos -- a divided country gets more eyeballs in the media.  Trump is great for the business of media.

Many of us are exhausted.  The majority of us really could find common ground but we're being shouted down by the extremes on both ends, which is exacerbated by the majority political parties and the media catering more and more to the extremists in each party who represent the small minority. It really is exhausting emotionally. Logic would suggest the eventual rise of a midstream party that plays to what most of us believe. 

Fear and anger are powerful emotions. Motivating voters to turn out is a key issue for politicians. Seeking compromise doesn't drive votes. Good versus evil. Seeking to raise fear/anger in your voters. That's the current goal of political parties. The political parties WANT us to be tribalized and divided.  This happens to be what sells in media too, so the media helps to fulfill this aim.

There are two excellent articles recently put out by The Atlantic.  Can't believe Im admitting that, as I typically think the Atlantic skews too left for my tastes.  But I try to remain objective, no matter the source.

The first was referenced earlier:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/what-unites-antagonists-brett-kavanaugh-fight/572125/

The second also a great read. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/large-majorities-dislike-political-correctness/572581/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:16:06 PM by dustinst22 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1588 on: October 12, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
This thread eventually moved so quickly that I was unable to keep up. If I was asked any questions to which I didn't respond, I'm sorry. Rather than read, I could only use how recently it had been updated as a measure of whether the Kavanaugh issue was still roiling our Society. I think we've finally had 24 hours in which it wasn't updated.

I read this David French piece (perhaps one of you linked to it already) about how we're more divided than ever on this matter, and I worry for our country: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/kavanaugh-fight-left-america-divided/572554/ Although I tended to side with the Ford defenders on this matter, I want to express appreciation for those of you who maintained strong arguments on the Republican side...I'm grateful for the well-thought-out opinions on this site, especially those that challenge me.

I also listened to the Slate podcast "Slow Burn" about the rape allegations against President Clinton in 1998, and it's clear to me that the forces that put us into this divided place today are not recent ones. It was not that long ago that a lot of people were basically switching sides on these matters. I heartily recommend this podcast.

I'm not really seeing too many parallels between Clinton/Kavenaugh.  There was a legit investigation into the Clinton thing, and the truth came out.  There was an obstructed partial investigation into the Kavenaugh thing, and because of that we'll probably never know what the truth was.  The Clinton affair was consensual, the Kavenaugh thing was not.  Clinton ended up being fined, having his legal license suspended and then eventually disbarred for lying about the matter . . . Kavenaugh was awarded a lifetime appointment to a position on the countries highest court with no investigation into the truth of his testimony being made.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1589 on: October 12, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing these articles, Dustinst22; I think the internet creates space between us that antagonizes much more than would happen if we were to try to work these things out in person. Two rules I'm trying to follow for my in-person conversations going forward:

• If I were unaware of the Trump position on XXX, what would my position be?
  • Allow the person in front of me to present as much about the issue as possible, and create that space in advance via a lower-information diet.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1590 on: October 12, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »

I'm not really seeing too many parallels between Clinton/Kavenaugh.  There was a legit investigation into the Clinton thing, and the truth came out.  There was an obstructed partial investigation into the Kavenaugh thing, and because of that we'll probably never know what the truth was.  The Clinton affair was consensual, the Kavenaugh thing was not.  Clinton ended up being fined, having his legal license suspended and then eventually disbarred for lying about the matter . . . Kavenaugh was awarded a lifetime appointment to a position on the countries highest court with no investigation into the truth of his testimony being made.

GuitarStv-
I think you wrote this comparing the Lewinksy-Clinton affair to Kavanaugh, but I was actually considering the Anita Broadrick rape allegations in comparison to Kavanaugh.

crispy

« Reply #1591 on: October 12, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »

GuitarStv-
I think you wrote this comparing the Lewinksy-Clinton affair to Kavanaugh, but I was actually considering the Anita Broadrick rape allegations in comparison to Kavanaugh.

Not to derail, but her name is Juanita Broaddrick in case anyone wanted to look her up.

craimund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1592 on: October 14, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »

...I'm not really seeing too many parallels between Clinton/Kavenaugh.  There was a legit investigation into the Clinton thing, and the truth came out.  ...

The alleged incident that led to the exposure of the Clinton "affair" with Monica Lewinsky was not consensual encounter.  Paula Jones (an Arkansas Government Employee) alleged that then Governor Clinton summoned her up to his hotel room, dropped his pants, and said "kiss it".  She filed a lawsuit against Clinton which resulted in the deposition in which he lied under oath about the Lewinsky matter.  This information as well as information regarding a number of other disturbing sexual "assaults" was widely known in conservative circles (covered extensively in the American Spectator) before the 1992 election.  The American Spectator referenced a "Paula" in an article regarding the incident recounted by an Arkansas State Trooper who was apparently tasked as a pimp to procure women for the governor and who relayed Clinton's request to Paula Jones to visit him up in his hotel room.   These allegations which had corroborating witnesses were never picked up and investigated by the mainstream press who were deeply in love with Bill Clinton and did not want to harm his prospects in the upcoming election.  Instead, there was only coverage at the time of the consensual affair with Genifer Flowers.  Clinton's "I've caused pain in my marriage" response to this allegation which was apparently good enough for the media who quickly went on the cover his preference for boxers or briefs and his saxaphone playing on Arsenio Hall.

Also, the Lewinsky matter would be considered problematic in any workplace and would probably result in the dismissal of an employee in a corporate setting who had a "consensual" affair with a subordinate, particularly an intern.  I was a government employee in 1998 and we were receiving sexual harassment training which clearly forbade such conduct.

There was also the Juanita Broaderick rape allegation which, again, has contemporaneous corroborating evidence.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1593 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »

...I'm not really seeing too many parallels between Clinton/Kavenaugh.  There was a legit investigation into the Clinton thing, and the truth came out.  ...

The alleged incident that led to the exposure of the Clinton "affair" with Monica Lewinsky was not consensual encounter.  Paula Jones (an Arkansas Government Employee) alleged that then Governor Clinton summoned her up to his hotel room, dropped his pants, and said "kiss it".  She filed a lawsuit against Clinton which resulted in the deposition in which he lied under oath about the Lewinsky matter.  This information as well as information regarding a number of other disturbing sexual "assaults" was widely known in conservative circles (covered extensively in the American Spectator) before the 1992 election.  The American Spectator referenced a "Paula" in an article regarding the incident recounted by an Arkansas State Trooper who was apparently tasked as a pimp to procure women for the governor and who relayed Clinton's request to Paula Jones to visit him up in his hotel room.   These allegations which had corroborating witnesses were never picked up and investigated by the mainstream press who were deeply in love with Bill Clinton and did not want to harm his prospects in the upcoming election.  Instead, there was only coverage at the time of the consensual affair with Genifer Flowers.  Clinton's "I've caused pain in my marriage" response to this allegation which was apparently good enough for the media who quickly went on the cover his preference for boxers or briefs and his saxaphone playing on Arsenio Hall.

Also, the Lewinsky matter would be considered problematic in any workplace and would probably result in the dismissal of an employee in a corporate setting who had a "consensual" affair with a subordinate, particularly an intern.  I was a government employee in 1998 and we were receiving sexual harassment training which clearly forbade such conduct.

There was also the Juanita Broaderick rape allegation which, again, has contemporaneous corroborating evidence.

I have to confess to knowledge mostly of the Lewinsky affair and little else with Bill Clinton.  Were there no investigations into Bill Clinton's other misdeeds?  Is your contention that Democrats stood in the way of the FBI investigating Clinton's accusations in the same way that Republicans did for Kavenaugh?  Or are you saying that you think Clinton did something bad, therefore it's OK to fail to investigate Kavenaugh?

I'd be as happy to see Bill Clinton's history thoroughly examined as Kavenaugh's (and fully support prison time if the evidence suggests that impropriety took place).  Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1594 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
Fixed the strikeout bit for you.  If impropriety was a criminal offence, who should scape whipping?

I'd be as happy to see Bill Clinton's history thoroughly examined as Kavenaugh's (and fully support prison time if the evidence suggests that impropriety criminal offences meriting imprisonment took place).  Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1595 on: October 14, 2018, 10:08:16 AM »
Fixed the strikeout bit for you.  If impropriety was a criminal offence, who should scape whipping?

I'd be as happy to see Bill Clinton's history thoroughly examined as Kavenaugh's (and fully support prison time if the evidence suggests that impropriety criminal offences meriting imprisonment took place).  Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

I was using the word to indicate improper behaviour, and in context thought that illegal/meriting criminal offence would be understood.  But sure, your wording is more clear.

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #1596 on: October 14, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »

I have to confess to knowledge mostly of the Lewinsky affair and little else with Bill Clinton.  Were there no investigations into Bill Clinton's other misdeeds?  Is your contention that Democrats stood in the way of the FBI investigating Clinton's accusations in the same way that Republicans did for Kavenaugh?  Or are you saying that you think Clinton did something bad, therefore it's OK to fail to investigate Kavenaugh?

I'd be as happy to see Bill Clinton's history thoroughly examined as Kavenaugh's (and fully support prison time if the evidence suggests that impropriety took place).  Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

All of what you wrote, YES.  I can't believe we live in a time when this even needs to be said.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1597 on: October 14, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

All of what you wrote, YES.  I can't believe we live in a time when this even needs to be said.

To be fair, I haven't seen anyone express that it is okay, or even insinuate it.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1598 on: October 14, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »
Contrary to what appears to be popular opinion, sexual assault doesn't suddenly become OK if the person doing it belongs to a particular political affiliation.

To be fair, I haven't seen anyone express that it is okay, or even insinuate it.

It seems to be fairly well implied, first with the election of Trump (remember he actually bragged about it), and now with the half ass investigation of Kavanaugh. I don't think anyone is going to come right out and say "yeah sexual assault is ok." Although I will say in a recent interview with Trump supporters at a local rally, one woman actually said that women need to keep their legs closed or they deserve it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1599 on: October 14, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »

Why the fuck weren't Kavenaugh's charges properly investigated then?  Why are people saying "well yeah, we didn't really look at our guy . . . But Bill Clinton did it, so why should we?"  If people believed that sexual assault was a real problem they should be saying "Look at our guy!  Look at Bill Clinton too!".

If people don't believe that "their" guy should get away with sexual assault, then there is no divisiveness on either issue, and proper investigations would get full support from both sides.