Poll

Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?

Yay!
Nay!
Who cares? The SCOTUS doesn't matter anyways.

Author Topic: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?  (Read 197739 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Brett Kavanaguh: Yay or Nay?
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
Probably trying to keep his name in the news and in front of Trump, after all there is an Attorney General that's going to need replacing in a few weeks.

OMG.  Could that actually come to pass?  I was kind-of putting my money on Lindsey Graham being the next AG, given his transformation from Trump Critic (remember "it's like choosing between being poisoned or shot"?) to Trump defender.  But sure, a serial sexual predator twice removed from the bench seems like a great choice to run our Department of Justice (::eyeroll::)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
Probably trying to keep his name in the news and in front of Trump, after all there is an Attorney General that's going to need replacing in a few weeks.

OMG.  Could that actually come to pass?  I was kind-of putting my money on Lindsey Graham being the next AG, given his transformation from Trump Critic (remember "it's like choosing between being poisoned or shot"?) to Trump defender.  But sure, a serial sexual predator twice removed from the bench seems like a great choice to run our Department of Justice (::eyeroll::)

I can totally see this happening. After all, Trump is still pissed off that he endorsed Moore and Moore didn't win. Trump can't stand to back a loser, so one way to make Moore into a winner is to give him a winner's job.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »

I can totally see this happening. After all, Trump is still pissed off that he endorsed Moore and Moore didn't win. Trump can't stand to back a loser, so one way to make Moore into a winner is to give him a winner's job.
Moore might be one of the few people Trump could pick that some republicans might actually vote against.  Of course, that would be in a pre-Kavanaugh world...

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
Nice. When Kavanaugh was at Yale, he belonged to a secret society called "Tit and Clit."

Motto: No means yes. Yes means anal.

Yeah. I don't really want him on the Supreme Court.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/at-yale-kavanaugh-belonged-to-a-secret-society-with-an-unprintable-name-6M4_RxlyZ0KZjoN3hd6P1A/

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
Nice. When Kavanaugh was at Yale, he belonged to a secret society called "Tit and Clit."

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/at-yale-kavanaugh-belonged-to-a-secret-society-with-an-unprintable-name-6M4_RxlyZ0KZjoN3hd6P1A/

To be totally transparent about this, "Tit and Clit" was the nickname of the club he belonged to at Yale, not the official name.  And that club didn't make national news for chanting "No means yes, yes means anal" until after Kavanaugh had graduated, so I'm sure it was all fine upstanding young men when he was a part of it. 

No, I'm not sure of that at all.

Personally, I think this sort of thing should be disqualifying for all types of government jobs.  Like why is it disqualifying if you've ever smoked weed, but not if you've attempted to rape a 15 year old?  What shocks me most of all is that he was still allowed to be a judge, despite this part of his past not exactly being a secret.  Note that we don't nominate David Duke for federal positions anymore, either.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
Like why is it disqualifying if you've ever smoked weed, but not if you've attempted to rape a 15 year old?

One is a horrific moral failing and one is a common youthful indiscretion.  Which is which apparently depends on whether you're Republican or Democrat though . . .

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »

Kris, get your facts straight. He was in a Fraternity DKE that has an animal house reputation that chanted "no means yes, yes means anal" in front of the women's center. He was ALSO part of a secret society (truth and courage) that was nicknamed (other nickname). But I'm sure he will say it was pure coincidence and a accident he joined two different societies with heavy drinking and horribly sexist reputations. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 05:10:38 AM by partgypsy »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »

Kris, get your facts straight. He was in a Fraternity DKE that has an animal house reputation that chanted "no means yes, yes means anal" in front of the women's center. He was ALSO part of a secret society (truth and courage) that was nicknamed (other nickname). But I'm sure he will say it was pure coincidence and a accident he joined two different societies with horribly sexist reputations.

Good lord. How could that have been even worse than I understood it to be?

And to think that none of this will matter one iota to the GOP. (And my fist itches to punch something when I think about how many of them are quietly chuckling to themselves and saying, "Haha, I remember those youthful days well. Good times...")

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 20, 2018, 02:19:21 PM »

And to think that none of this will matter one iota to the GOP. (And my fist itches to punch something when I think about how many of them are quietly chuckling to themselves and saying, "Haha, I remember those youthful days well. Good times...")

Of course it won't. They were all in these same societies.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2018, 02:47:07 PM »

Membership in sexist societies isn't a disqualifying factor in the halls of power, it's a prerequisite.  What, you thought the patriarchy just happened by accident? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Membership in sexist societies isn't a disqualifying factor in the halls of power, it's a prerequisite.  What, you thought the patriarchy just happened by accident?

I'm having a hard time understanding why women keep supporting this imbalance.  They make up 51% of the electorate, after all...
Sadly, I know a few women from older generations (Boomers) that vote however their husbands vote.  How did that happen to those who were part of the free-love, feminist cohort?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »

I'm having a hard time understanding why women keep supporting this imbalance.  They make up 51% of the electorate, after all...
Sadly, I know a few women from older generations (Boomers) that vote however their husbands vote.  How did that happen to those who were part of the free-love, feminist cohort?

Of the two family members I know that participated in the 60s (most people in the 60s didn't participate), only one was a true believer. The other was there for the good times and is now a Fox-loving conservative.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
Shocking report of millions of voters becoming more conservative as they age, tonight on 60 minutes.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »
I get being conservative and becoming more conservative as one ages, but I don't equate true conservatism with misogyny and patriarchy.  I guess many do.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
I get being conservative and becoming more conservative as one ages, but I don't equate true conservatism with misogyny and patriarchy.  I guess many do.

I can see the argument that Republicans aren't 'true conservatives' I suppose . . . they appear have abandoned fiscal conservatism entirely in favor of a pro-sexual assault brand of social conservatism.  Make no mistake though, support of misogyny and patriarchy are essential to being Republican today.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2018, 05:08:40 AM »

I can see the argument that Republicans aren't 'true conservatives' I suppose . . . they appear have abandoned fiscal conservatism entirely in favor of a pro-sexual assault brand of social conservatism.  Make no mistake though, support of misogyny and patriarchy are essential to being Republican today.

I don't even get what's socially conservative about this latest crop.  The GOP loves to tout itself as "the party of Lincoln and Reagan".  Well Lincoln's enduring legacy was to defeat a group of rogue southern states while proclaiming all slaves free.  Arguably Reagan's most famous line during his entire Presidency was "Tear down that wall". He was a staunch opponent of Moscow and forceful supporter of global free trade.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:12 AM »

I agree that there are genuine problems in society today with Rape Culture. Kavanaugh doesn't give any indication he appreciates this problem. Many republicans also don't give any indication they appreciate this problem.

But membership in a fraternity != having raped someone. Saying Kavanaugh joined this type of group as a young man therefore the Ford allegations (from before he was a Yale student) are true is not logical. And merely being the type of person who would join a fraternity while in college is not disqualifying.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »

I don't even get what's socially conservative about this latest crop.  The GOP loves to tout itself as "the party of Lincoln and Reagan".  Well Lincoln's enduring legacy was to defeat a group of rogue southern states while proclaiming all slaves free.  Arguably Reagan's most famous line during his entire Presidency was "Tear down that wall". He was a staunch opponent of Moscow and forceful supporter of global free trade.

In the American context, a social conservative = racist, sexist, Christian fundamentalist with a gun fetish.  As mentioned, the Republican party has completely abandoned all elements of fiscal conservatism in favor of this brand of social conservatism . . . and the people who vote Republican have rewarded them richly for doing so.

Kavanaugh has a history of pro-Christian fundamentalist support, racism, has demonstrated deeply ingrained sexism, and appears to want to expand gun rights . . . so he's most likely a shoe in.  I think that the sexual assault allegations probably help him from a Republican standpoint.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »
Once again I think you're over-simplifying the complex dynamic that has lead Evangelicals to install Trump as President and buy these two Supreme court seats from him. The price they're paying is giving up a good chunk of moral authority in the cultural reckoning of which one symptom is the #metoo movement; the price the more general Republican party is paying is the stink of corruption that is rising from appointees like Price, Carson, DeVos, Pruitt, etc. (to say nothing of Trump's brazen emoluments).

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
Will he be confirmed?  Probably.

The Democrats may try to run out the clock on the nomination, but the Republicans know this and won't let it happen. If the Ds had the power to run out the clock, they would also have the ability to block the nomination entirely. So, delaying the nomination is a moot strategy.

Even if Kavanaugh were dropped, the Rs would rush through someone else. They aren't going to let an opportunity to appoint a supreme court justice pass, regardless of the cost. They would nominate and confirm Satan if he promised to keep the prisons full and vote against abortion and gay marriage.

The only way that Democrats win on this is if they get male, Republican senators who are up for re-election on video being mean to Ford during the hearings. The Ds might win an election and ensure that Kav is the last supreme court justice that Trump gets to appoint. This would come at the cost of seating a supreme court justice who actively hates the left instead of simply disagreeing with them.

Speculation: If the Russia investigation gets too close and the Kavanaugh nomination is withdrawn, Trump could pardon himself for all crimes and then appoint himself to the supreme court, leaving the presidency for Pence. There seem to be no rules after all....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:06:29 AM by electriceagle »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »

I agree that there are genuine problems in society today with Rape Culture. Kavanaugh doesn't give any indication he appreciates this problem. Many republicans also don't give any indication they appreciate this problem.

But membership in a fraternity != having raped someone. Saying Kavanaugh joined this type of group as a young man therefore the Ford allegations (from before he was a Yale student) are true is not logical. And merely being the type of person who would join a fraternity while in college is not disqualifying.

Here's where I have a problem with this logic - Kavanaugh isn't on trial where the outcome might depend on whether he remains a free man or not - he's up for a lifetime appointment to SCOTUS. Being in a fraternity while in college shouldn't be disqualifying, but not owning up to it now and actively condemning your fraternity's actions should be, even if you weren't one of the perpetrators.

When Kavanaugh releases a statement saying "I have never done anything like what the accuser describes—to her or to anyone... [I will] refute this false allegation, from 36 years ago, and defend my integrity" - it rings hollow knowing that he does not refute the actions and misogynistic opinions of his friend, his fraternity or his peers.

When being considered for the highest office of the land, it's not enough (IMO) to simply say "well it was all around me but I wasn't part of it". One needs to take the moral high-ground and condemn such behavior then and now, not hide behind the fog of time ("36 years") nor cultural-defenses like it's just "boys being boys" or "that's just the way it was back then" or "rough horseplay".  Kavanaugh's not decrying any of this behavior. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »

While I would agree that not all of those who are members of a fraternity rape, the person who joins a fraternity is more likely to be a rapist than the general male population according to an entire body of research. See citations below.
One particular myth associated with fraternities is the idea that forcing drunk women to have sex is acceptable. In her qualitative research Sanday (1990) found that some fraternity members approved of this idea and called it “working out a yes.”  In addition, fraternities are associated with the sexual objectification of women through pornography and other means (Sanday 1990).
Schaeffer and Nelson (1993) found that residents in all male housing (regardless of fraternity status) were more traditional about gender roles and more accepting of rape myths than those in co-ed housing.
Stombler (1994) reported from her ethnographic study of “Little Sisters” to fraternities that these women were sexually objectified and commodified by fraternity brothers; for example, in some cases sisters were encouraged to portray themselves as sexually available to fraternity pledges.
Compared to non-fraternity men, fraternity men have been found to have more traditional attitudes towards women (Schaeffer and Nelson 1993); a more sexually permissive peer group (Lottes and Kuriloff 1994); stronger belief in male dominance (Kalof and Cargill 1991); and greater belief in “rape myths” (false beliefs about rape that tend to legitimize rape; Burt 1980; Boeringer 1999).
Boeringer (1996) found that fraternity members were more likely to have friends who had gotten women drunk or high to have sex, and who did not disapprove of this practice.
Fraternity affiliation has been found to be a significant predictor of sexually aggressive behavior in retrospective analyses (Lackie & de Man, 1997).
Murnen (2000) found that fraternity men were more likely to use degrading language to refer to women’s genitals than men not formally associated with a fraternity.
Prospectively, fraternity membership at baseline was a significant predictor of perpetration during the 3-month follow-up period (Loh, Gidycz, Lobo & Rohini Luthra 2005).
Bleecker and Murnen (2005) found that fraternity men were more likely to display sexually degrading pictures of women in their dorm rooms than non-fraternity men, and that the display of such images was associated with the men’s endorsement of rape myths.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:26:50 AM by Gin1984 »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2018, 08:45:27 AM »

Definitely a "yay!"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »

Definitely a "yay!"

So, by the rules of Kavenaugh's fraternity you want anal?

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2018, 10:46:52 AM »

Definitely a "yay!"

So, by the rules of Kavenaugh's fraternity you want anal?

LOL

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »

Definitely a "yay!"
What makes you a supporter?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:48 AM »
I think he is a liability for the GOP at this point.  They would be much better off just admitting that this isn’t the right guy.  It’s not like they don’t have more solid choices. 

But Trump is in office, so there is no backing down for him, not ever.  So here we are.

I think about this a lot, and I think it boils down to the fact that many women benefit from the power structures being what they are. If you are attractive, and willing to play the game, you can parley that into a lifetime of not working and spending someone else’s money.  Having equal rights entails equal responsibilities, and many women are not willing to make that trade.  At a gut level, they would rather have less freedom and less responsibility.  Many will never openly admit this, but I believe it to be true. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
it boils down to the fact that many women benefit from the power structures being what they are. If you are attractive, and willing to play the game, you can parley that into a lifetime of not working and spending someone else’s money.  Having equal rights entails equal responsibilities, and many women are not willing to make that trade.  At a gut level, they would rather have less freedom and less responsibility.  Many will never openly admit this, but I believe it to be true.

Sexism is an insidious cancer.  It invades all aspects of society with a creeping subtlety, and it has invaded you too.

Think carefully about what you just said.  It's a tiny step from your position to the anti-suffragettes of the 1850s who argued that a woman's place was in the home, and that giving women the vote would threaten the security and domestic power they then enjoyed.  Do you also believe that women are naturally irresponsible, or hysterical, or that they are better off when they have a man to look after them?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
I think he is a liability for the GOP at this point.  They would be much better off just admitting that this isn’t the right guy.  It’s not like they don’t have more solid choices. 

But Trump is in office, so there is no backing down for him, not ever.  So here we are.

I think about this a lot, and I think it boils down to the fact that many women benefit from the power structures being what they are. If you are attractive, and willing to play the game, you can parley that into a lifetime of not working and spending someone else’s money.  Having equal rights entails equal responsibilities, and many women are not willing to make that trade.  At a gut level, they would rather have less freedom and less responsibility.  Many will never openly admit this, but I believe it to be true.

Mostly I think it's about getting by.  It's about living within the system rather than changing it.  It's about going along with something less immediately important because food on the table and getting the kids to do their homework is more immediately important.  It's about men having most of the power and most of the money and if the men in your life who have most of the money and most of the power are Republican what are you going to do?  That may look to you like working the power system for an easy life.  To me it looks like living within the limits imposed from outside in order to get by.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »

I think its important to differentiate between white and black women here. Black and hispanic women overwhelmingly voted for Clinton, it's white women who "upheld the patriarchy" so to speak. From where I stand, I would guess that WOC knew they were losing on both counts, racism and sexism, where white women were only losing on the sexist side and they were fine with trading that for the race win.
I would dispute the idea that women are just looking for a free ride, I think more women than ever are participating in the labour force and if anything men are dropping out. Would have to find statistics to back that up though, that's just my impression based on articles I've read.
Anyway, I'm in Canada so I've avoided weighing in but honestly this nomination is appalling and keeps getting worse. Watching him being questioned by Kamala Harris showed how unwilling he was to answer basic questions and I am sure there's a lot of nasty shit in his record that will only come out after he wins. Nay from me.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
it boils down to the fact that many women benefit from the power structures being what they are. If you are attractive, and willing to play the game, you can parley that into a lifetime of not working and spending someone else’s money.  Having equal rights entails equal responsibilities, and many women are not willing to make that trade.  At a gut level, they would rather have less freedom and less responsibility.  Many will never openly admit this, but I believe it to be true.

Sexism is an insidious cancer.  It invades all aspects of society with a creeping subtlety, and it has invaded you too.

Think carefully about what you just said.  It's a tiny step from your position to the anti-suffragettes of the 1850s who argued that a woman's place was in the home, and that giving women the vote would threaten the security and domestic power they then enjoyed.  Do you also believe that women are naturally irresponsible, or hysterical, or that they are better off when they have a man to look after them?

fun fact:  The word 'hysterical' comes from the greek husterikós: “suffering in the uterus, hysterical"

The ancients literally connected being hysterical with being a woman, and surmised that the root problem must therefor come from a woman's uterus.  It's also why the procedure for removing the uterus is called a "hysterectomy"

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
I thought the analysis of the Kavanaugh nomination by Preet Bharara's guest Ron Klain was fascinating.

The podcast transcript is available at:
https://www.cafe.com/stay-tuned-transcript-kavanaugh-and-the-court-w-ron-klain/

There is a lot in the transcript, including a lot about how the GOP has been running the hearings relative to the precedent set in previous hearings, but I think this is the kernel regarding why he was selected:
Ron Klain: Let’s go back to how Brett Kavanaugh got picked for this. The Republicans made a big deal about the fact that Donald Trump campaigned on the Supreme Court, and he put out two lists during the campaign of people he would pick for the Supreme Court. And you know who wasn’t on those lists? Brett Kavanaugh. Trump put out 21 names of people he’d pick for the Supreme Court in September of 2016. Kavanaugh wasn’t in the top 21. So, how does someone who’s not in the top 21 get picked for the Supreme Court? He shows up for the first time on a list that Trump puts out in November of 2017. Now, what changed? Not his sterling credentials; not his judicial service. What changed?

Two things changed, Preet. The first is, a few weeks before Kavanaugh appeared on that list, he wrote a decision in the Garza case where he dissented from the DC Circuit, saying that a minor in custody as an immigrant should be released to get an abortion. And not only did Kavanaugh issue this decision in accord with the views of the anti-choice forces—that opinion he wrote is a love letter to the Right to Life movement. He calls the minor’s petition to be released a request for abortion on demand. Well, abortion on demand is not a legal phrase. It’s not something judges say. It’s a political phrase. It’s a disparaging phrase about abortion rights. This minor wasn’t demanding an abortion. This minor was seeking a medical procedure. And so, using that phrase was a big signal to the Right to Life movement.

Preet Bharara: So, are you saying that Donald Trump sat back in his office at the White House and read the Garza decision, and decided, this is my guy?

Ron Klain: No. What I’m saying is that Kavanaugh campaigned to the Right to Life movement, and they gave him a big gold star next to his name, because not only did he call her claim a claim for abortion on demand; he added in that opinion—he said—we talked about Roe and [?Kasey], these decisions, and he called them existing Supreme Court precedent. Now, Preet, if my wife introduced me to people as her existing husband, I’d be checking the state of our insurance policies, okay?

Preet Bharara: Right.

Ron Klain: So, there are signals in that decision about where he’s headed on Roe v. Wade. He had, earlier that same year in 2017, given a speech praising former Chief Justice Rehnquist for being a dissenter in Roe v. Wade. He was flashing every signal he could to the anti-choice forces, I’m your guy.

Preet Bharara: You’re saying something really significant. Are you saying that he actually sort of shaped his language in a particular opinion, the Garza opinion, as a kind of public audition for the role of Supreme Court justice?

Ron Klain: You know, it seems that way to me. I mean, I think you read that opinion, and it comes on top of him that same year giving a speech where he embraces Chief Justice Rehnquist as his judicial hero and cites his dissent in Roe as an example of that.
Ron Klain: Well, I think that was part of it. And then I think there’s a second thing that happened between the list in September 2016 and the list in November 2017. And that second thing was the Mueller investigation. You know, that obviously was not something that existed in September of 2016. But by November of 2017, Donald Trump and his people are looking for a Supreme Court justice who might rule with him if any issues in the Mueller investigation make their way to the Supreme Court. And you know, Preet, that’s a hard thing to look for, because to find someone who’s gonna rule that a president can’t be subpoenaed, who’s gonna rule that a president isn’t subject to legal process, that’s a pretty out of the mainstream view with most lawyers. And yet, they found someone who holds those views: Brett Kavanaugh.

Preet Bharara: And it’s even worse—who used to hold the opposite view.

Ron Klain: Yeah, exactly. Who had the opposite view in the ‘90s.

Preet Bharara: It’s a recent convert to a convenient view, no?

Ron Klain: A post-2000 convert to a very, very, very extreme view of the president’s immunity from legal process, suggesting at one point in time that the classic US v. Nixon case might be wrongly decided, saying that the president can’t be subject to a subpoena, writing a whole Law Review article on how the president should be exempt from legal process. I mean, if Donald Trump was looking for someone other than Rudy Giuliani who had extolled his point of view on these legal issues, it was a very short list, and Brett Kavanaugh really was number one on that list.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2018, 12:11:26 PM »
This is an interesting interview.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/21/gop-women-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-florida-kaye-pkg-ac-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/brett-kavanaugh-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

These women are obviously self-selected. CNN also (probably) didn't ask for on-the-fence Trump supporters and, even if there was one in the group, there was a lot of peer pressure to not question the party line.

But,
1) We don't believe Ford.
2) Even if he did do it, there wasn't intercourse. It was only attempted rape. (!) She's still hung up on this?
3) Even if he did do it, what teenage boy hasn't done it?

If Ford is lying, why would she come forward with this allegation, considering the affect on her and her family:

1) She's also destroying his life.
2) Why didn't she come out sooner?

Why not have an investigation:

1) It doesn't matter what everyone else has to say.

One funny (but sad) comment was, "And who bought the alcohol for these kids?"

Another one: "And maybe she liked him, and he went out with another girl." Implying, I guess, that she made it up to get back at him.

The thinking in that group is...fascinating.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
This is an interesting interview.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/21/gop-women-kavanaugh-christine-blasey-ford-florida-kaye-pkg-ac-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/brett-kavanaugh-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

These women are obviously self-selected. CNN also (probably) didn't ask for on-the-fence Trump supporters and, even if there was one in the group, there was a lot of peer pressure to not question the party line.

But,
1) We don't believe Ford.
2) Even if he did do it, there wasn't intercourse. It was only attempted rape. (!) She's still hung up on this?
3) Even if he did do it, what teenage boy hasn't done it?

If Ford is lying, why would she come forward with this allegation, considering the affect on her and her family:

1) She's also destroying his life.
2) Why didn't she come out sooner?

Why not have an investigation:

1) It doesn't matter what everyone else has to say.

One funny (but sad) comment was, "And who bought the alcohol for these kids?"

Another one: "And maybe she liked him, and he went out with another girl." Implying, I guess, that she made it up to get back at him.

The thinking in that group is...fascinating.
I think that the last one is trying to draw a connection to the Rolling Stone scandal at the University of Virginia a couple of years ago.  As the reporting fell apart, the accuser admitted that her accusations were based on this.  I've seen more than one right wing commenter reference this in discussions of articles on Dr. Ford.  It's important to them to fabricate a structure where it assuming that accusers are lying is acceptable.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
I thought the analysis of the Kavanaugh nomination by Preet Bharara's guest Ron Klain was fascinating.

So the main point of that analysis is that Kavanaugh rocketed to the top of Trump's list of Supreme Court nominees, which he previously wasn't even on, for two reasons.

1.  Kavanaugh suggested he would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, and he would be the swing vote on this issue.

2.  Kavanaugh sided with Guliani, against everyone else in the world, by saying that Trump is exempt from criminal prosecution no matter what he's done.

And yet republicans wonder why nobody supports this guy.  These are two deeply unpopular opinions in America, despite a very vocal minority supporting them.  Is that where we're at as a country, now?  A minority party takes over every branch of government and exerts minority control over the rest of us?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2018, 12:44:01 PM »

So the main point of that analysis is that Kavanaugh rocketed to the top of Trump's list of Supreme Court nominees, which he previously wasn't even on, for two reasons.

1.  Kavanaugh suggested he would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, and he would be the swing vote on this issue.

2.  Kavanaugh sided with Guliani, against everyone else in the world, by saying that Trump is exempt from criminal prosecution no matter what he's done.

And yet republicans wonder why nobody supports this guy.  These are two deeply unpopular opinions in America, despite a very vocal minority supporting them.  Is that where we're at as a country, now?  A minority party takes over every branch of government and exerts minority control over the rest of us?
I would be willing to bet that Kavanaugh also sees no problem with gerrymandering, or selectively closing polling places, or all of the other tools for adjusting voter participation.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »

I would be willing to bet that Kavanaugh also sees no problem with gerrymandering, or selectively closing polling places, or all of the other tools for adjusting voter participation.

Unless it's against the Republicans. He'll be all over it then.

Most important to Trump is #2. He doesn't want to go to jail. #1 is just a bonus to keep the evangelical support.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »

I'm going to disagree with the contention that Kavanaugh somehow rocketed to the top of the list a few weeks before his nomination. Based on the news coverage from back in 2017, he was a top contender the moment he was added to Trump's list:

The biggest new name was that of Brett Kavanaugh, a judge on the powerful U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Many Supreme Court justices have come from that circuit, and Kavanaugh tops the list of judges most often named as Trump's next pick.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/17/trump-adds-five-names-list-potential-supreme-court-justices/875983001/

Many observers were surprised last year when Judge Kavanaugh’s name did not appear on the original list of 21 possible Supreme Court picks—an omission some chalk up to Mr Trump’s swamp-draining rhetoric. But Judge Kavanaugh stands head and shoulders above the other four new additions to the list.
https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2017/11/21/donald-trumps-new-contenders-for-the-supreme-court

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »

I'm going to disagree with the contention that Kavanaugh somehow rocketed to the top of the list a few weeks before his nomination.

Who said that?

Ron Klain, in the interview posted above, said,

So, how does someone who’s not in the top 21 get picked for the Supreme Court? He shows up for the first time on a list that Trump puts out in November of 2017. Now, what changed? Not his sterling credentials; not his judicial service. What changed?

Who said that he went to the top of the list a few weeks before the nomination?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »

While I would agree that not all of those who are members of a fraternity rape, the person who joins a fraternity is more likely to be a rapist than the general male population according to an entire body of research. See citations below.
One particular myth associated with fraternities is the idea that forcing drunk women to have sex is acceptable. In her qualitative research Sanday (1990) found that some fraternity members approved of this idea and called it “working out a yes.”  In addition, fraternities are associated with the sexual objectification of women through pornography and other means (Sanday 1990).
Schaeffer and Nelson (1993) found that residents in all male housing (regardless of fraternity status) were more traditional about gender roles and more accepting of rape myths than those in co-ed housing.
Stombler (1994) reported from her ethnographic study of “Little Sisters” to fraternities that these women were sexually objectified and commodified by fraternity brothers; for example, in some cases sisters were encouraged to portray themselves as sexually available to fraternity pledges.
Compared to non-fraternity men, fraternity men have been found to have more traditional attitudes towards women (Schaeffer and Nelson 1993); a more sexually permissive peer group (Lottes and Kuriloff 1994); stronger belief in male dominance (Kalof and Cargill 1991); and greater belief in “rape myths” (false beliefs about rape that tend to legitimize rape; Burt 1980; Boeringer 1999).
Boeringer (1996) found that fraternity members were more likely to have friends who had gotten women drunk or high to have sex, and who did not disapprove of this practice.
Fraternity affiliation has been found to be a significant predictor of sexually aggressive behavior in retrospective analyses (Lackie & de Man, 1997).
Murnen (2000) found that fraternity men were more likely to use degrading language to refer to women’s genitals than men not formally associated with a fraternity.
Prospectively, fraternity membership at baseline was a significant predictor of perpetration during the 3-month follow-up period (Loh, Gidycz, Lobo & Rohini Luthra 2005).
Bleecker and Murnen (2005) found that fraternity men were more likely to display sexually degrading pictures of women in their dorm rooms than non-fraternity men, and that the display of such images was associated with the men’s endorsement of rape myths.

Gin1984, you deserve credit for this post. A more in-depth discussion of Rape Culture--this is not the forum for this--would be incomplete without this as a starting point. Thank you!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »

Note: Kennedy was fine with gutting the Voting Rights Act five years ago. These things are not out-of-bounds opinions for Federalist Society judges.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2018, 01:10:59 PM »

Unless it's against the Republicans. He'll be all over it then.

Most important to Trump is #2. He doesn't want to go to jail. #1 is just a bonus to keep the evangelical support.
I'm relatively certain the formerly outwardly pro-choice Donald Trump doesn't really give a rats ass about Roe-v-Wade, and only took up the pro-life position because it suddenly made him very popular with a very vocal minority.

To me, the GOP not dropping Kavanaugh is very telling.  They very literally have a pre-vetted list of 21 very conservative candidates.  They've got 3.5 months before the next congress is seated, and 6 weeks before the elections.  DJT could withdraw the nomination, nominate someone from the list, the senate could hold hearings and a vote - and probably get it done before the elections.  This whole fear of 'galvanizing the base' seems exactly backward, as they are now stuck with trying to encourage GOP voters to turn out more to defend a candidate with a rather ghastly shadow.

Worse, if Kavanaugh gains his seat any literally anything else comes out about his past (more accusers? former classmates that call him misogynistic? a confession/recollection by Judge?) then the GOP will forever look like the party willing to short-circuit normal hearings to promote a sexual predator onto the bench. Literally every SCOTUS case which touches on gender will be prefaced by a media reel on Justice Kavanaugh and his controversial appointment. Which means the GOP will perpetually be linked with being complicit with rape.

He's toxic right now - any HR manager would agree.  Trump supports him because he thinks he will defend anything a (republican) President does as a rightful use of his power.  The GOP senators fear DJT going ballistic on him, even if it would be the best thing for the party and (to be honest) the country in general.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
To me, the GOP not dropping Kavanaugh is very telling.  They very literally have a pre-vetted list of 21 very conservative candidates.  They've got 3.5 months before the next congress is seated, and 6 weeks before the elections.  DJT could withdraw the nomination, nominate someone from the list, the senate could hold hearings and a vote - and probably get it done before the elections.  This whole fear of 'galvanizing the base' seems exactly backward, as they are now stuck with trying to encourage GOP voters to turn out more to defend a candidate with a rather ghastly shadow.

Worse, if Kavanaugh gains his seat any literally anything else comes out about his past (more accusers? former classmates that call him misogynistic? a confession/recollection by Judge?) then the GOP will forever look like the party willing to short-circuit normal hearings to promote a sexual predator onto the bench. Literally every SCOTUS case which touches on gender will be prefaced by a media reel on Justice Kavanaugh and his controversial appointment. Which means the GOP will perpetually be linked with being complicit with rape.

I think you're miscalculating how Trump's base feels about such activities.

Roy Moore still almost won and he had a lot of accusers. As a 30 year old, he was preying on good ol' Alabama girls, too, and not some liberal, elite, Professor in California.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

I'm going to disagree with the contention that Kavanaugh somehow rocketed to the top of the list a few weeks before his nomination. Based on the news coverage from back in 2017, he was a top contender the moment he was added to Trump's list:

The biggest new name was that of Brett Kavanaugh, a judge on the powerful U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Many Supreme Court justices have come from that circuit, and Kavanaugh tops the list of judges most often named as Trump's next pick.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/11/17/trump-adds-five-names-list-potential-supreme-court-justices/875983001/

Many observers were surprised last year when Judge Kavanaugh’s name did not appear on the original list of 21 possible Supreme Court picks—an omission some chalk up to Mr Trump’s swamp-draining rhetoric. But Judge Kavanaugh stands head and shoulders above the other four new additions to the list.
https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2017/11/21/donald-trumps-new-contenders-for-the-supreme-court
Nothing to disagree with. The analysis indicates why he was added in November 2017.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »

I think you're miscalculating how Trump's base feels about such activities.

Roy Moore still almost won and he had a lot of accusers. As a 30 year old, he was preying on good ol' Alabama girls, too, and not some liberal, elite, Professor in California.

I think this is exactly the kind of thing they should be worried about.  Roy Moore lost in crimson-colored Alabama. If they keep branding themselves as the party that nominates sexual predators, what hope do they have in purple Florida or Ohio or Pennsylvania?

I'm not suggesting their best course would be to ditch Kavanaugh for some left-of-center judge, but that their continued support of him comes with very big risks when there are already a long list of very conservative candidates whom they could push through with much less political fallout.  They're trying to win a battle at the cost of all their powder and many of their men. Best case scenario they gain nothing (over these other candidates) but no new scandals emerge.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
Perhaps we'll have to wait to see how they course-correct once we've seen Dr. Ford testify?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
their continued support of him comes with very big risks when there are already a long list of very conservative candidates whom they could push through

Right, I have no illusions that whoever takes the vacant SC seat is going to be any better for America than Kavanaugh, but at least they could come on without a history of literally assaulting women when they pass down rulings that strip away women's rights.  American liberalism died the moment Kennedy announced his retirement.  For the next few decades, at least, the supreme court will be a mouthpiece for the religious right. 

Whether it's Kavanaugh or some other partisan hack, conservatives have it locked down.  I've accepted the death of the American progressive movement, may it RIP in Obama's wake, but can we at least not elevate sexual predators?  Can we nominate just regular run-of-the-mill Guns-and-Jesus freaks instead of rapey ex-frat boys who think no means yes?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »
This is an interesting piece of writing demonstrating the whitewashing of Kavanaugh's record in the documents that were provided on him:
https://tyt.com/stories/4vZLCHuQrYE4uKagy0oyMA/1FM2NrgYRiekqIeoiWugai

key quote from the actual speech:
But fortunately we had a good saying that we've held firm to to this day, as the dean was reminding me before the talk, which is, 'What happens at Georgetown Prep stays at Georgetown Prep.' That's been a good thing for all of us, I think.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2018, 01:57:33 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about this idea of other scandals emerging, and I think it goes a long way to explaining the GOP's current strategy here.  First off, that's why they are so adamant in sticking to this artificial deadline which they created and which absolutely does not really exist.  The hope seems to be "if we can just get him confirmed by early next week maybe no new bad news will have enough time to surface!"  That's why they don't want to delay for an FBI investigation (Hill's took just 3 days), why they won't allow anyone but Ford and Kavanaugh to make any statement.

it also explains their thinly veiled hostility toward Ford.  Its not about her, it's about making any woman who might have had a similar encounter too scared to come forward.  They've been very clever about this thus far, seeming to 'hear her out' while making sure its clear that any accuser who steps foward will face public scrutiny and scorn.

I still think its a very short-sighted approach, and that the worst thing which could happen to the GOP here is to have more credible accounts occur after rushing through his confirmation.  But I think this at least explains their actions a bit more...

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »

Doesn't have anything to do with Trump being in office.  Or even with wanting Kavanaugh.  He is a solid jurist, but he's basically Roberts when most of the right would prefer another Gorsuch or Thomas.  But it would be ridiculous to make a standard requirement for nominees that there can't be anybody they knew in high school that is partisan enough to be willing to make an accusation against them that is vage enough to be non-provable or disprovable.  There will be too many people who refuse to submit themselves to a nomination process like that.