Author Topic: Board Games - what are you playing?  (Read 70063 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Board Games - what are you playing?
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2018, 04:54:40 AM »
Just picked up Santorini as my amazon pricewatch triggered. Looking forward to playing it!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »
Here's an incredible video of Ivanchuk deeply analyzing a game blindfold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgvAoTzWBA

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
I didnt see Arkham Horror listed here. 

I love this game.  You and the other players work together against the game.  This is a pretty difficult game to win against though.  Its based on HP Lovecraft novels. You each get a character that has  different ability stats with a background story and work together fighting monsters, sealing portals to other worlds and possibly fighting an Ancient One (end boss) if it awakes. There are also several expansions to enhance the game. The downside is there are tons of items with this games including many different cards and tokens for different items or scenarios.  Also, there are a lot of rules and sometimes they are vague.  Usually you can get an answer by searching online for questions or updated rules if you get stuck.  Overall, though it's the most fun board game I have ever played.

I used to adore Arkham Horror (growing up in the mid-1990's). My dad and I finally beat it when I learned some probability and started placing Elder Signs on the gates that were populated with dice rolls of 5-9. Now that I have a 6-yo daughter, I actually made up some bedtime stories about Harvey Walters and Joe Diamond traveling into the abyss and the library of R'lyeh. My wife claims the kids are having problems sleeping, but I know it's not related.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
My problem with Arkham Horror has always been that knowledge of the values of each room is very important. When we first started playing, we didn't really know what to expect and lost repeatedly (still fun though). Since the game was so long, I went and looked for some basic strategies to help us. The immediate answer was that you should go look through the room cards to figure out which ones were you best bets. Once we did that we started winning every time. It turns out some rooms are hugely beneficial and some just really suck. Now, that said, I haven't played any expansions and maybe they balance things out better, but I will say I was a bit disappointed in how much an effect that had.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Here are my current Top 10 games and what I like about them:

#1:    Istanbul A modular pick up and deliver race game.  Plays 5 well, has little down time between turns, and is different every time I play it.  The Mocha and Baksheesh expansion really helps the game to shine.

#2:    Caylus The granddaddy of worker placement games.  Also plays 5 well (if no one has AP).  Also a good deal of variety and who doesn't love moving that provost to screw with people?

#3:    The Voyages of Marco Polo Dice placement and variable player powers.  Plays quickly (everyone is always saying "there's only one more round?") and is also different every time (seems to be a theme).

#4:    Goa I was told I would like Goa, and after finally getting a copy and playing it once, it made it onto my Top 10.  Variety(!), auctions,  plus so many ways of doing things to get points makes it very satisfying for me.

#5:    Village What's not to like with a game that has plague cubes and workers dying and going to the cemetery?

#6:    Power Grid One of the first games I played as a newb gamer.  I was overwhelmed but after giving it a second chance, I fell in love with it!  Yes, it is math-y, but that is part of the fun.  And it plays 6.

#7:    Lorenzo il Magnifico with the Houses of the Renaissance expansion.  Variable player powers, auctions, multiple paths to victory (and defeat), excommunication, military (yet no confrontation), big chunky dice, worker placement; this game ticks so many boxes for me!

#8:    Bootleggers
Use muscle, get thugs and influence, send in the boys, make whisky, run whisky, steal trucks/whisky, kill others, make deals, sell whisky, avoid the copper.  Fun!

#9:    The Pillars of the Earth Get resources, convert resources.  Plays 6 well, and that mechanism of pulling master builders out of the bag and then having to decide if you want to spend a lot to place them or wait.  And it is based on a very good (long) book.

#10: Rajas of the Ganges
Great looking game, with a pretty board, beautiful dice, and fun play.  Spend dice, get things, place tiles, get things, and get your score pieces to cross first/farther than your opponents.

There are SO many great games out there.  Maybe I should do a Top 20 list...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »

Wow @Will - I haven't played any of those yet (and you've given me a few great ideas on what aI wnat to try next).  Please - a top 20 list!!

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
Excellent list Will, I've only tried a few of these. Thanks for sharing!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Great list! We have had Caylus, but it seems like all our close family and friends find excuses to not play it with us. I was actually looking at that box yesterday in my Attic, it would probably be a good candidate for, ahem, Craigslist storage.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Oo, based on our comments in the other thread, you should send it over to Neo Von Retorch! I'm a big fan of Caylus.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Great list! We have had Caylus, but it seems like all our close family and friends find excuses to not play it with us. I was actually looking at that box yesterday in my Attic, it would probably be a good candidate for, ahem, Craigslist storage.

Oo, based on our comments in the other thread, you should send it over to Neo Von Retorch! I'm a big fan of Caylus.

Umm.. yes please. I am your Craigslist. I will store your game for you. How much monies would you like to store your game?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
Bought Tokaido and Photosynthesis recently when they were heavily discounted.

Tokaido seems really neat. Played it with my wife, super chill and beautiful game.

Photosynthesis looks beautiful too. I have a weak spot for games with great artwork..

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »
Been playing BUGS IN THE KITCHEN with the kid, who's a little young for it but has fun anyway.

The board has a bunch of plastic walls shaped like knives/spoons/forks.  There's a bug, which is one of those Nano Hex Bug things -- battery powered, vibrates, has rubbery legs that wiggle and propel it along pretty randomly.  You roll a d6, three sides have question marks, the other sides each have a knife, fork, or spoon.  If you roll a particular silverware, you can turn one of them 90 degrees.  Question mark means turn what you like.

You're trying to make a path for the bug to go into a pit in one corner of the board, which is your trap.  It's played in real-time, with the bug buzzing and running all over the place.  Once you trap the bug, you reset the board and get a token.  Five tokens wins.

Pretty fun for the younger set.  And it's cheap.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
Bought Tokaido and Photosynthesis recently when they were heavily discounted.

Tokaido seems really neat. Played it with my wife, super chill and beautiful game.

Photosynthesis looks beautiful too. I have a weak spot for games with great artwork..

I've been looking at Uwe's tetris games, including Cottage Garden and Indian Summer and was wondering if you've taken a look at those. Also, Azul is supposed to be pretty casual and also visually appealing. I was thinking of getting Patchwork to play with my daughter, but now I may be leaning towards Cottage Garden because it looks simply gorgeous.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Lots of great games listed here and a good number that I haven't heard of that sound really interesting.

In terms of quick and easy party games these are a few that we rely on that I haven't seem mentioned:

• Bananagrams
  • Codenames: Symbols
  • Monopoly Deal (card game)
  • Dutch Blitz (card game)
  • Jungle Speed
  • Blokus

They're all fairly easy to learn and quick to play.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
I do love bananagrams. We play it differently in our family, with points being given for longer words (basically, each letter beginning with the fourth gets scored one point). It's impossible to worry about anything else going on in your life when you play that game, and I thought the scene in "Peter Rabbit" when they were playing it was amazing!

The offer for Caylus is noted...your SE Pennsylvania location does add to transaction costs, though I might check to see what I can clear locally.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »

Wow @Will - I haven't played any of those yet (and you've given me a few great ideas on what aI wnat to try next).  Please - a top 20 list!!

Okay, here are 11-20 then....

#11    Mechs vs. Minions A programming cooperative game with amazing miniatures (and I am NOT a fan of miniatures), mowing down minions without dying.  Fun!

#12    Tichu A four player "ladder-climbing" trick-taking game with partners. 

#13    Rococo Worker placement game where you are making the fancy apparel (dresses and coats) for the royal ball and fireworks show.  Sounds like an odd theme but it is oddly fun.

#14    Hive A very portable 2 player game that is chess-like with insects and spiders.

#15    Skull Hilarious bluffing game with gorgeous artwork.

#16    Paperback One of the few word games that I enjoy.  It has been called "Scrabble meets Dominion (a deck builder)"

#17    San Juan (second edition) A quicker and easier card game version of Puerto Rico (which is also a great game!).  Easy to get to the table, still has a lot of strategy to it.

#18    Power Grid: The First Sparks I thought this was a child's version of PG, but it isn't; you are a caveman!  A quicker and easier version of Power Grid (ranked higher in my other list), you are spreading your tribe, getting tools and technology to make the gathering of food easier.

#19    The Castles of Burgundy A classic for a reason.  Dice mitigation, tile placement, set collection, point salad!

#20    Wallenstein (first edition) I have the German version of this.  Vaguely like Risk, you are trying to control areas, building things up, invading, a cube tower, simultaneous action selection.  Some try to say Shogun is an improved version of Wallenstein, but I disagree.  The second edition of this has been Shogun-ized and I don't think that made it any better.

So there you go, now you have my Top 20.  11-20 are somewhat lighter than 1-10, but 21-30 are even lighter (gotta play party games and easier things at some point, right?).

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
X-Com: The Board Game

Co-operative game similar to the video game. If you play it on medium difficulty (it's played with a helpful app and has a timer), it's intense. There's a lot of negotiation between the other players.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:03 PM »
I just played Azul for the first time last week - lots of fun. It is an abstract drafting game, where you put beautiful tiles together into a mosaic. Lots of fun!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 02:00:00 PM »
I played Above and Below for the first time over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Cool elements of storytelling and beautiful artwork around a city building game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172818/above-and-below

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
I played Above and Below for the first time over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Cool elements of storytelling and beautiful artwork around a city building game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172818/above-and-below

Yes - this is one I played at our annual beach house board game weekend, last year. And ended up buying it sometime in the past year. It has elements from Tales of the Arabian Nights, but is much more youthful and colorful! Plus, there are actual points and a winner. (You can win Tales, but uh... that's not the reason to play that game. Seriously!)

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »
Until recently, I did not know that there were so many board games for adults. Recently, my wife and I were in an anti-café and we tried many interesting games there; now we think we need to buy something home.

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »
Checkers, monopoly, poker. All these games are great for winter evenings when you have nothing to do and have to play home games.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
I've started teaching the kids Blackjack. Better me than the kid at school who learns it and tries to use it to make some money off of them.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2018, 06:50:04 AM »
I've started teaching the kids Blackjack. Better me than the kid at school who learns it and tries to use it to make some money off of them.
Interesting.  Not sure that qualifies as a board game though...

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »
Just started playing Pandemic Legacy with friends from. Only in Feb (after failing Jan in the first go and beating it in the second).

At home, I like to play the following games with my 6 & 8 year old (and my wife):
- Big Book of Madness
- Ticket to Ride First Journey
- Forbidden Island
- Forbidden Desert
- Roll for It (a good quick game)
- Carcasonne
- Qwirkle

I also just bought Stuffed Fables in Amazon's Black Friday sale ($40). It seems like a lite RPG where a story book serves as the dungeon master. I've been looking at it for a year, but the $70 price tag was too high.

I also recently bought Dead of Winter: Long Night at a local Barnes and Noble when it went down to $15 (from $60). I think that this looks like a really cool game, but I don't now when I'll be able to play it. Got suckered in by the deal...face punching myself.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
Finally got out Terraforming Mars this holiday weekend. Unfortunately by the time we had it all set up, general holiday activities meant we had to put it away again. I took it out again the past few nights after things had calmed down and finally played a few games of solitaire. I've never really played board game solitaire before as I'd usually just prefer to play single player video games when alone. In this case I had a really fun time working through the game and would recommend it even with one player.

I've heard the expansions are good, but given that I haven't even played a full multi-player game yet I guess I'll have to hold off for now!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2018, 05:23:23 AM »
I also recently bought Dead of Winter: Long Night at a local Barnes and Noble when it went down to $15 (from $60). I think that this looks like a really cool game, but I don't now when I'll be able to play it. Got suckered in by the deal...face punching myself.

No face punches from me on this game--DH and I have it and we LOVE it.  It can be played in so many different ways--full co-op, co-op with secret objectives, co-op with secret objectives and a betrayer.  And within all those options there are multiple different story lines that can play out, so re-play-ability is super-high on this one--you are getting a lot of bang for your 15 dollars of buck.  It is So. Much. Fun.  :)

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2018, 05:26:54 AM »

No face punches from me on this game--DH and I have it and we LOVE it.  It can be played in so many different ways--full co-op, co-op with secret objectives, co-op with secret objectives and a betrayer.  And within all those options there are multiple different story lines that can play out, so re-play-ability is super-high on this one--you are getting a lot of bang for your 15 dollars of buck.  It is So. Much. Fun.  :)

Oops, just realized you were talking about "Long Night" instead of the vanilla version (about which I made the comments above). 

Now I am going to have to go to B&N to see if they have a $15 copy of this version.  You may now face-punch ME if you like.  :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
Terraforming Mars is one of our all-time favorite games. One of our friends likes it so much he keeps buying expansions. (He also buys way too many games in general!!)

We also have Dead of Winter: Long Night and enjoyed it but it doesn't get much play.

My spouse just ordered Unfair and I saw Gloomhaven dip below $100 so I snagged it... face-punches hitting me all over my meeple face.

During the sales last week, my spouse picked out Kana Gawa and it is a beautiful, lovely game. Wow.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
My spouse just ordered Unfair and I saw Gloomhaven dip below $100 so I snagged it... face-punches hitting me all over my meeple face.

At the risk of getting face-punched myself, where was the Gloomhaven sale?  I'm interested.  For a friend.  Yeah, that's it.  :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Gloomhaven
I had it in a camelcamelcamel.com tracker - it was on Amazon.com, but it's back up to $140 now :-O

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »
I took on the joyous project of coaching my daughter and niece through a game of Monopoly over TG break. (both 6 years old)

I put my thumb on the scale to help them acquire the Light Purple color group, then build some houses. They also got to do two auctions (bidding against me), and I helped them mortgage Indiana Ave. to buy Boardwalk, explaining that taking out debt on one property to buy another was "part of real estate".

When they got tired of the game, I basically just moved from St. Charles to States to Virginia so that they could bankrupt me in several big blows.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »

Oops, just realized you were talking about "Long Night" instead of the vanilla version (about which I made the comments above). 

Now I am going to have to go to B&N to see if they have a $15 copy of this version.  You may now face-punch ME if you like.  :)

A buddy of mine got the original at the same price (that's how I learned about the sale). I went back and they didn't have the original left, so I bought TLN.

It looks like it can be played like the original game, but also comes with extra modules you can also do. I wish that I could buy the original colonists + crossroads cards at a reasonable price somewhere.

I think the game looks awesome, I just don't know if I'll get the time to play it (I think my kids are too young to play it with at 6 and 8...and 1, but she would just want to eat everything).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2018, 10:51:59 AM »
I want to start playing more games -- recently bought Gloomhaven and Mysterium with an Amazon sale/promo (snagged Gloomhaven for $76..pretty happy about that!). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
Amazon has a number of great games on sale today.  Two I recommend are Forbidden Island and Potion Explosion.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Agricola! It's perfect for couples. Just bought sherlock holmes consulting detective too.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2018, 08:38:21 PM »
Agricola! It's perfect for couples. Just bought sherlock holmes consulting detective too.

This is the first "euro" game that showed me my love of that genre.

The first time my roommates and I played, we all had negative scores at the end, lol!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2019, 04:31:31 PM »
I just want to say that "Star Trek Panic!" is freaking fun. We played it on New Year's Eve at my father's house and everyone had a fantastic time. It's a pretty challenging game based on "Castle Panic!"

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
Has anyone out there played Spirit Island? I'm a sucker for cooperative games and this one looks like it could be a real winner.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2019, 10:54:26 AM »
Has anyone out there played Spirit Island? I'm a sucker for cooperative games and this one looks like it could be a real winner.

Yes!  A friend of mine has it, and DH and I liked it so much he bought it for me for Christmas.  Very satisfied with it so far.  We haven't played with the variant rules at all yet, only the base rules and 'easy' spirits.  Only possible complaint so far is that the ending can be a bit anticlimactic.  My friend is currently working on some house rule options to fix that.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »

Hi! I'm currently obsessed with Spirit Island. Is easily the best co-op I've ever played. Also, playing solo with 2 spirits is a great mental puzzle. Tons of replayability with different adversaries, scenarios and spirit combinations.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
We played Splendor this weekend and really enjoyed it.
We played with 4, but I like that it can be done with 2 players.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2019, 08:24:39 AM »
My family got into this game called Disney's "Eye Found it", which is a cooperative game in which you periodically search a very large picture board for things like teapots or bridges. We've really enjoyed it, would seriously consider giving it to everyone we know as a Christmas gift next year.

Greyweld

• Pencil Stache
  • Get healthy, save money, kick ass
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
We play board games frequently with friends. Most frequently recently:
-Terraforming Mars. Love that based on corporation there are a lot of different strategies.
-Betrayal at house on the hill. So many different stories! We've played probably a dozen times and only repeated a scenario maybe once? We also have an expansion.
-Forbidden Desert.
-Mysterium
-Boggle
-Cribbage

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »

-Betrayal at house on the hill. So many different stories! We've played probably a dozen times and only repeated a scenario maybe once? We also have an expansion.

You should never repeat, but simply pick the closest room and the same omen!

Should forget the old ones before getting through all the scenarios.

smileyface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:34 AM »
Got Pandemic for Christmas and we LOVE it.  We play board games as a family fairly often, but this is our first cooperative game. We have a 9 and 12 year old, and they were immediately hooked.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Got Pandemic for Christmas and we LOVE it.  We play board games as a family fairly often, but this is our first cooperative game. We have a 9 and 12 year old, and they were immediately hooked.

I love pandemic but have found it very hard to win with just two players. I think in the 8 or 10 times we've played it we've only won once.  Do others have similar experiences?

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2019, 01:24:12 PM »

I love pandemic but have found it very hard to win with just two players. I think in the 8 or 10 times we've played it we've only won once.  Do others have similar experiences?

Actually I think 2 players is easier than 4. A lot does depend on your roles. Having the medic can be a huge help while the operations expert is kind of a dud. The scientist and researcher combine into a powerful combo as well.

As for winning, I'd say shooting for better than 50% with 2 is a reasonable goal. I think many beginners often lose because they focus too much on eradicating diseases (which is very satisfying, but often not a good use of time) at the expense of pushing for cures through card exchanges. Also, allowing strategic outbreaks at remote cities like Santiago, Johannesburg or Seoul/Bejing/Tokyo can buy you some extra time.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
Posting so that I can read in entirety later.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2019, 10:59:50 AM »
I just joined a board game group this past weekend. I played Terraforming Mars and Everdell. I was a huge fan of Everdell, though it probably helped that I picked it up quickly and won in my first game. Terraforming Mars? Not so much of a fan.

Between 2 hours ice skating and 6 hours of board gaming, my Saturdays are pretty booked now.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:49:33 AM by DadJokes »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!