Author Topic: Board Games - what are you playing?  (Read 14636 times)

Nangirl17

• Stubble
Re: Board Games - what are you playing?
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
Right now we are big into Terraforming Mars. Awesome game!

We also enjoy Lords of Waterdeep, Pandemic, Power Grid, Five Tribes, 7 Wonders, Stone Age, Agricola (and it's 2 player spinoff All Creatures Big and Small), Blue Moon City, Cleopatra, Ticket to Ride, Catan C&K, Dominion, and Race for the Galaxy.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
Has anyone played Rising Sun yet? It's a new favorite.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2018, 04:54:40 AM »
Just picked up Santorini as my amazon pricewatch triggered. Looking forward to playing it!

The Investing Hispster

• Stubble
  • "Not all those who wander are lost"
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Would love to throw in a vote for good old fashioned trivial pursuit

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »
Here's an incredible video of Ivanchuk deeply analyzing a game blindfold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgvAoTzWBA

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
I didnt see Arkham Horror listed here. 

I love this game.  You and the other players work together against the game.  This is a pretty difficult game to win against though.  Its based on HP Lovecraft novels. You each get a character that has  different ability stats with a background story and work together fighting monsters, sealing portals to other worlds and possibly fighting an Ancient One (end boss) if it awakes. There are also several expansions to enhance the game. The downside is there are tons of items with this games including many different cards and tokens for different items or scenarios.  Also, there are a lot of rules and sometimes they are vague.  Usually you can get an answer by searching online for questions or updated rules if you get stuck.  Overall, though it's the most fun board game I have ever played.

I used to adore Arkham Horror (growing up in the mid-1990's). My dad and I finally beat it when I learned some probability and started placing Elder Signs on the gates that were populated with dice rolls of 5-9. Now that I have a 6-yo daughter, I actually made up some bedtime stories about Harvey Walters and Joe Diamond traveling into the abyss and the library of R'lyeh. My wife claims the kids are having problems sleeping, but I know it's not related.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:03 AM »
My problem with Arkham Horror has always been that knowledge of the values of each room is very important. When we first started playing, we didn't really know what to expect and lost repeatedly (still fun though). Since the game was so long, I went and looked for some basic strategies to help us. The immediate answer was that you should go look through the room cards to figure out which ones were you best bets. Once we did that we started winning every time. It turns out some rooms are hugely beneficial and some just really suck. Now, that said, I haven't played any expansions and maybe they balance things out better, but I will say I was a bit disappointed in how much an effect that had.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Here are my current Top 10 games and what I like about them:

#1:    Istanbul A modular pick up and deliver race game.  Plays 5 well, has little down time between turns, and is different every time I play it.  The Mocha and Baksheesh expansion really helps the game to shine.

#2:    Caylus The granddaddy of worker placement games.  Also plays 5 well (if no one has AP).  Also a good deal of variety and who doesn't love moving that provost to screw with people?

#3:    The Voyages of Marco Polo Dice placement and variable player powers.  Plays quickly (everyone is always saying "there's only one more round?") and is also different every time (seems to be a theme).

#4:    Goa I was told I would like Goa, and after finally getting a copy and playing it once, it made it onto my Top 10.  Variety(!), auctions,  plus so many ways of doing things to get points makes it very satisfying for me.

#5:    Village What's not to like with a game that has plague cubes and workers dying and going to the cemetery?

#6:    Power Grid One of the first games I played as a newb gamer.  I was overwhelmed but after giving it a second chance, I fell in love with it!  Yes, it is math-y, but that is part of the fun.  And it plays 6.

#7:    Lorenzo il Magnifico with the Houses of the Renaissance expansion.  Variable player powers, auctions, multiple paths to victory (and defeat), excommunication, military (yet no confrontation), big chunky dice, worker placement; this game ticks so many boxes for me!

#8:    Bootleggers
Use muscle, get thugs and influence, send in the boys, make whisky, run whisky, steal trucks/whisky, kill others, make deals, sell whisky, avoid the copper.  Fun!

#9:    The Pillars of the Earth Get resources, convert resources.  Plays 6 well, and that mechanism of pulling master builders out of the bag and then having to decide if you want to spend a lot to place them or wait.  And it is based on a very good (long) book.

#10: Rajas of the Ganges
Great looking game, with a pretty board, beautiful dice, and fun play.  Spend dice, get things, place tiles, get things, and get your score pieces to cross first/farther than your opponents.

There are SO many great games out there.  Maybe I should do a Top 20 list...

nereo

• Walrus Stache
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2018, 04:03:48 PM »
Here are my current Top 10 games and what I like about them:

Wow @Will - I haven't played any of those yet (and you've given me a few great ideas on what aI wnat to try next).  Please - a top 20 list!!

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
Excellent list Will, I've only tried a few of these. Thanks for sharing!

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Great list! We have had Caylus, but it seems like all our close family and friends find excuses to not play it with us. I was actually looking at that box yesterday in my Attic, it would probably be a good candidate for, ahem, Craigslist storage.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Oo, based on our comments in the other thread, you should send it over to Neo Von Retorch! I'm a big fan of Caylus.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Great list! We have had Caylus, but it seems like all our close family and friends find excuses to not play it with us. I was actually looking at that box yesterday in my Attic, it would probably be a good candidate for, ahem, Craigslist storage.

Oo, based on our comments in the other thread, you should send it over to Neo Von Retorch! I'm a big fan of Caylus.

Umm.. yes please. I am your Craigslist. I will store your game for you. How much monies would you like to store your game?

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
Bought Tokaido and Photosynthesis recently when they were heavily discounted.

Tokaido seems really neat. Played it with my wife, super chill and beautiful game.

Photosynthesis looks beautiful too. I have a weak spot for games with great artwork..

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »
Been playing BUGS IN THE KITCHEN with the kid, who's a little young for it but has fun anyway.

The board has a bunch of plastic walls shaped like knives/spoons/forks.  There's a bug, which is one of those Nano Hex Bug things -- battery powered, vibrates, has rubbery legs that wiggle and propel it along pretty randomly.  You roll a d6, three sides have question marks, the other sides each have a knife, fork, or spoon.  If you roll a particular silverware, you can turn one of them 90 degrees.  Question mark means turn what you like.

You're trying to make a path for the bug to go into a pit in one corner of the board, which is your trap.  It's played in real-time, with the bug buzzing and running all over the place.  Once you trap the bug, you reset the board and get a token.  Five tokens wins.

Pretty fun for the younger set.  And it's cheap.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
Bought Tokaido and Photosynthesis recently when they were heavily discounted.

Tokaido seems really neat. Played it with my wife, super chill and beautiful game.

Photosynthesis looks beautiful too. I have a weak spot for games with great artwork..

I've been looking at Uwe's tetris games, including Cottage Garden and Indian Summer and was wondering if you've taken a look at those. Also, Azul is supposed to be pretty casual and also visually appealing. I was thinking of getting Patchwork to play with my daughter, but now I may be leaning towards Cottage Garden because it looks simply gorgeous.

jambongris

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »
Lots of great games listed here and a good number that I haven't heard of that sound really interesting.

In terms of quick and easy party games these are a few that we rely on that I haven't seem mentioned:

• Bananagrams
  • Codenames: Symbols
  • Monopoly Deal (card game)
  • Dutch Blitz (card game)
  • Jungle Speed
  • Blokus

They're all fairly easy to learn and quick to play.

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
I do love bananagrams. We play it differently in our family, with points being given for longer words (basically, each letter beginning with the fourth gets scored one point). It's impossible to worry about anything else going on in your life when you play that game, and I thought the scene in "Peter Rabbit" when they were playing it was amazing!

The offer for Caylus is noted...your SE Pennsylvania location does add to transaction costs, though I might check to see what I can clear locally.