Author Topic: Bike Disc Brake Problems  (Read 1644 times)

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
Bike Disc Brake Problems
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:04 AM »
I have a set of Tektro Novela mechanical disc brakes on my commuter with ~5000 miles on them. Recently, the rear set lost their stopping power. The front set still work fine.

With the brake engaged, I’m able to rotate the rear wheel by hand with light resistance. Pulling the brake arm manually has the same effect (so I don’t think it’s the brake line or brake lever). The surfaces of the pads and rotors feel identical on the front and rear sets. I’ve tried the following:

- Calibrated the pads
- Cleaned the rotor with isopropyl alcohol
- Replaced the pads with brand new pads (though old ones looked fine)
- Cleaned the rotor with acetone
- Disassembled the brake assembly looking for anything
- Ride around the block with the brake engaged

Anyone have any ideas what could be the issue?

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Bike Disc Brake Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »
Is the adjustment on the other side correct?  Most of the mechanical units I've used (which all suck compared to a good dual piston hydraulic unit) require you to set the far side pretty tight in order to get good stopping power.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:44:54 PM »
I have some cable Tektro brakes in my commuter. They work OK, but like Syonyk said, cable brakes usually need the non-moving pad side set pretty close to the disc. IIRC that was adjusted on my Tektro brakes by using an allen key.

When you clean the rotor fully and/or are breaking in new pads, it helps braking performance if you bed in the pads onto the rotor a little. Google for instructions on how to do this - basically a series of hard stops.

If none of this helps - I wonder if there's something mechanically blocking your brake from clamping down firmly (bent pad spring in the way? something internally broken in the caliper?).

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:57:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm fairly certain the non-moving pad is set correctly. I'll try bedding the pads this evening. I disassembled the rear calipers and couldn't find anything mechanically blocking the brake.

It appears the front/rear sets are interchangeable, so I'm going to try putting the front calipers on the rear rotor.

If that narrows the issue down to the calipers themselves, anyone have any caliper recommendations? Primarily looking for good value, don't need anything high performance.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm fairly certain the non-moving pad is set correctly. I'll try bedding the pads this evening. I disassembled the rear calipers and couldn't find anything mechanically blocking the brake.

It appears the front/rear sets are interchangeable, so I'm going to try putting the front calipers on the rear rotor.

If that narrows the issue down to the calipers themselves, anyone have any caliper recommendations? Primarily looking for good value, don't need anything high performance.
The cable brakes that everyone seems to like the best are Avid BB7s, which have been around forever. They are more adjustable than the cheaper BB5, and there shouldn't be much of a price difference. Either will be compatible with your current brake lever (or any V brake type lever).

I also suggest checking the cable and housing for any kinks or rust that can affect braking - but that's more just maintenance than something that would cause the lack of braking power that you're describing. I like using full length cable housing if possible, because it pretty much seals the cable from water getting inside the housing and rusting it.

Another cable brake setup tip: if braking feels spongy at the lever, you can try setting up the brake such that the caliper arm is partially pulled even when the brake lever is fully extended - - difficult to describe, but basically set up the caliper with the cable a little "short", such that the caliper arm is already pulled a little even with the brake lever at full rest. Hope that makes sense.