Author Topic: Bigger kids on bikes  (Read 2125 times)

Pedro Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bigger kids on bikes
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:35:13 AM »
I enjoy time on my bike with my little ones. The problem as any parent of a nearly four year old knows is that they grow up really fast. I have a seat that hangs off the back of the bike from a flexible steel arm. The problem is that the seat is starting to rub the back tyre as junior bulks up,the problem is exacerbated by the new 29" wheel MTBs. The bike trailers I've seen advertised have a pretty low weight limit. I'm not too sure about the pull along style bikes.

Anyone made a modified trailer with some seats on it. I was thinking of adapting a bikes at work style heavy duty trailer.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
Re: Bigger kids on bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Lots of us on here have, I think, had good experiences with the pull-along bikes! I have a Burley Piccolo because I am freakishly short and do not have enough seat post for attaching, but others have used that kind with great success.

I would not buy a trailer for a four-year-old unless you think there are more tots on the way. My kids are both big fans of the Piccolo and even my small-for-his-age kid was able to ride it at age four. (He could not pedal at that age but he can now that he is five.)

Many people prefer the seatpost kind but I do like that I can still use panniers (with great caution) with the Piccolo as it attaches to a cargo rack.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
I agree with frugalparagon. The older the kids get the more they'll want to be doing something too like pedaling.

TrMama

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »
Also, as they get older they get too heavy for a parent to haul them. However, they also get strong enough to help haul themselves. We got lots of use from a used Trail-a-Bike. My knees were happy to have help up the hills since I told the kid to pedal when I pedal. Stop pedaling when I stop.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
I had a trail-a-bike as well. And loved it! It was like having rear wheel drive on hills :)

I used it to commute my kiddo to school from 5 until about 7-8 years old. Whenever he was able to ride his own bike with me.

norwash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 05:53:26 AM »
I used to carry my little nephew on my bike. But now as he has grown up, he tries to have his mastery over my bike and sets me aside.

Pedro Mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 02:16:11 AM »
I forgot to come back to this one.

The trailer bike has been a wild success. If you're on the fence about one of these, jump down! We use this as the main mode of school transport and Jr. loves it.

(Stock Image)