Author Topic: Berkley  (Read 33102 times)

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Berkley
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
Milo has been dropped from the CPAC conference.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/02/20/24882248/milo-yiannopoulos-gets-dropped-from-cpac

Why won't they let him speak?!

Also, just for a little perspective:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/02/20/24881934/milo-yiannopoulos-girls-are-in-danger-when-adult-trans-women-use-public-toilets-but-13-year-old-boys-can-benefit-from-giving-head-to-adult-ma

This is why you give guys like Milo free speech. If they are genuine nutters they usually shoot themselves in the foot for you.

Yeah, silencing him with protests and riots made him a star, got him speaking invitations and book deals. Letting him talk is what actually worked. Who'd have thunk.

Then why won't the Conservative Political Action Committee let him speak? Censorship!!!!

Are you stupid? The CPAC didn't call for him to be disinvited or silenced elsewhere they simply withdrew the invitation they themselves made.

I'm sorry that it turns out I was right in that letting him speak was the smarter course of action rather than attempting to silence him.

MOD EDIT: Rule 1.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:57:11 AM by arebelspy »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
Jesus Christ. So I leave this thread for a while and now people are not only still defending Milo, but also defending #gamergate??? smh.... Pick your battles guys, if you want to be taken seriously.

ETA - Oh look, a new bombshell with Milo. Seems that this is the thing really getting him into hot water. But we're still waiting on the earlier instances of proof that he's a piece of shit amirite?

It's ok, I stopped taking you serious a bit back when you were unable to prove your claims over and over. Still lacking proof of those allegations, but I have no problem condemning him for these statements and due to them he lost his book deal and speaking engagements, seems like I was right that letting him talk is the right thing to do and that we should defend that right.

Unlike yourself I didn't paint myself in to a corner.

Laughable. You either a) have some sympathy for Milo, gamergate, or related "movements." Maybe you're a men's rights activist? and/or b) were too lazy to do the research yourself. You certainly defended gamergate, which tells me all I need to know about your character. But go on ignoring me and calling others stupid. 

I am not the tiniest bit surprised about this latest from Milo because I've been paying attention to him for years and knew all I needed to about his awfulness. But I'll admit I was too lazy to write a heavily documented dissertation on him to definitively prove to your satisfaction what is obvious to anyone who doesn't sympathize with his vileness. My bad, I figured the very clear evidence provided (which took literally 2 minutes of googling) of him picking out targets (who all shared certain characteristics) that his followers proceeded to horribly harass would be enough to suggest to you "hmmm, maybe this guy isn't so great after all, I should probably investigate further."

And now you are trying to say "you were right" about letting him speak when literally everyone in this thread already agreed he should be allowed to speak and violent protests are wrong. Your desperation to "win" and be "right" while refusing to concede the smallest of points is unbecoming.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:49:30 AM by Lagom »

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »
Jesus Christ. So I leave this thread for a while and now people are not only still defending Milo, but also defending #gamergate??? smh.... Pick your battles guys, if you want to be taken seriously.

ETA - Oh look, a new bombshell with Milo. Seems that this is the thing really getting him into hot water. But we're still waiting on the earlier instances of proof that he's a piece of shit amirite?

It's ok, I stopped taking you serious a bit back when you were unable to prove your claims over and over. Still lacking proof of those allegations, but I have no problem condemning him for these statements and due to them he lost his book deal and speaking engagements, seems like I was right that letting him talk is the right thing to do and that we should defend that right.

Unlike yourself I didn't paint myself in to a corner.

Laughable. You either a) have some sympathy for Milo, gamergate, or related "movements." Maybe you're a men's rights activist? and/or b) were too lazy to do the research yourself. You certainly defended gamergate, which tells me all I need to know about your character. But go on ignoring me and calling others stupid. 

I am not the tiniest bit surprised about this latest from Milo because I've been paying attention to him for years and knew all I needed to about his awfulness. But I'll admit I was too lazy to write a heavily documented dissertation on him to definitively prove to your satisfaction what is obvious to anyone who doesn't sympathize with his vileness. My bad, I figured the very clear evidence provided (which took literally 2 minutes of googling) of him picking out targets (who all shared certain characteristics) that his followers proceeded to horribly harass would be enough to suggest to you "hmmm, maybe this guy isn't so great after all, I should probably investigate further."

And now you are trying to say "you were right" about letting him speak when literally everyone in this thread already agreed he should be allowed to speak and violent protests are wrong. Your desperation to "win" and be "right" while refusing to concede the smallest of points is unbecoming.

Hmm maybe I never said he was great or even a good guy, simply that unless he is actually inciting violence we should let him speak. Also at no point did you or anyone in this thread so far actually provide any proof of your claims as to this.

Unlike you I don't just find something that agrees with my original belief and just say great that's all I need to know. Glad that supporting a consumer revolt against a corrupt media tells you all that you need to know about my character. Glad to know you are a collectivist and I can judge you by what people loosely affiliated to you that you don't directly associate with do. The only thing I did was show that people in support of Gamergate have received death threats and harassment the thing being claimed those against Gamergate received and that this was somehow a mark against Gamergate, but when the story is flipped somehow isn't a mark against those against it. All very convenient.

You keep claiming things including the claim you have provided any kind of real proof that he has done the things you originally claimed. This on top of the fact that I'm fully in support of CPAC hearing the things he said when he was given a platform to speak and rescinding his invitation to speak at their event. This is actually the kind of interactions I would like to see more of. I know it's hard to wrap your head around that I am glad someone could speak that I don't like or agree with, but I actually prefer a world where that is the case.

Also no not literally everyone is saying he should be allowed to talk even in this thread. Some people have made excuses for the behavior by violent protestors or made the same type of allegations that have previously lead others to behave violently without proof of these allegations. On top of this I don't just condemn the violent protestors. I think the peaceful protestors are wrong too. I think by protesting like they have been they are only giving those they oppose a martyr and at the same time I don't think any form of speech that isn't directly inciting violence should be stifled not only by the government. So yes I think i was right and that the drunken peasants giving him a place to talk freely without it being shut down by any protest did far more harm to him than all of the many protests both peaceful and violent did at any of his events together.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »
wait so you're ok with milo saying dickish things?
but it's wrong for others to say via protest that he is a dick?? so he shouldn't be listened to???
you're ok with milo saying things that incite or support violence, be it statutory rape or even naming specific individuals to put them at risk, but think it's wrong to support peaceful protestors?
i'm so...confused, i guess.
like, where does this view even leave you?
bc you seem to think that the free market of ideas will sort things out, good from bad, making dickish/pro-nazi/racist things ok to say. but you also think it's wrong to use any mechanism to sort the wheat from the chaff. like i can kind of understand the folks who believe in the free market and support peaceful protesters bc you can point to historic examples where peaceful protest was highly effective at idea/politic sorting, be it around the persons of mlk or ghandi. but idk where this would work if you can't even protest. like if it didn't even work for socrates, i feel like the method might be flawed,

what methods would you support for sorting the wheat from the chaff?

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
wait so you're ok with milo saying dickish things?
but it's wrong for others to say via protest that he is a dick?? so he shouldn't be listened to???
you're ok with milo saying things that incite or support violence, be it statutory rape or even naming specific individuals to put them at risk, but think it's wrong to support peaceful protestors?
i'm so...confused, i guess.
like, where does this view even leave you?
bc you seem to think that the free market of ideas will sort things out, good from bad, making dickish/pro-nazi/racist things ok to say. but you also think it's wrong to use any mechanism to sort the wheat from the chaff. like i can kind of understand the folks who believe in the free market and support peaceful protesters bc you can point to historic examples where peaceful protest was highly effective at idea/politic sorting, be it around the persons of mlk or ghandi. but idk where this would work if you can't even protest. like if it didn't even work for socrates, i feel like the method might be flawed,

what methods would you support for sorting the wheat from the chaff?

Yes I am ok with Milo or anyone else saying dickish things.

Most of the protests even the peaceful ones are not just saying he is a dick they are saying he should not be speaking at these speaking invitations so they are calls to silence him. I disagree with this.

I'm not ok with Milo saying things that incite and support violence if with that you mean him saying go attack this person and not just I don't like Milo and so when he is criticizing people this is automatically incitement or support of violence because some of his fans may harass the person he criticizes. I have also still yet to see proof of the claims multiple people have made that he has incited violence.

I don't think silencing someone is sorting wheat from the chaff, it just forces the discussion "underground" where it is less likely to receive reasoned disagreement. Addressing their concerns and where reasonable working with people you disagree with and elsewhere instead advocate for why you disagree with them. I would say a response I would be more supportive of is arguing that a college hosting an invited speaker you disagree with that they either agree with opening up the speaking engagement to be a debate instead if the speaker and group that invited them will agree to this and bring forth a speaker you feel is capable of countering the first one well or if this can no be agreed upon for the college to allow an opposing speaker to come and speak either before or after.

The other historic protests you talk about are also slightly different, neither MLK nor Ghandi wanted other people to be prevented from speaking. They were fighting for rights, freedoms and against oppression. To even connect the two is an insult to their hard work and goals.

I'd say that the Milo situation was quite effective at showing how it worked. Milo gets protested and people try to silence him and getting institutions to disinvite him and he becomes more famous than he ever would have been, gets more speaking engagements, prominence among politicians and book deals. The thing that managed to undo much of that was the drunken peasants giving him a platform to speak freely. I would say if there had been no attempts to silence him in the first place he would not have gained the prominence he had and if he would not have been allowed to speak freely by others he wouldn't have lost it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:37:14 PM by prognastat »

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »
As an aside you do also realize though what Milo is saying abhorrent they are coming from someone who was molested as a child and is obviously internalizing this and attempting to legitimize the act to help him feel like he was in control of the situation. Though they are terrible things to say it is not uncommon for victims of child abuse or even abuse in general to blame themselves and excuse their perpetrator. This is something Milo has done before and in my opinion when going through the whole video and not just the excerpts in this case he is most likely indirectly talking about his twisted narrative surrounding his own abuse, excusing his abuser, blaming himself and even morbidly joking about it. I doubt this is something he could have a healthy opinion on without serious psychological help to process what happened to him. That doesn't make any of what he said acceptable, however it does explain why he said it and that is isn't simply because he is a peadophile or would think it is acceptable, but rather that by admitting it was sexual abuse he would in effect be admitting he was abused and a victim himself something I doubt he is capable of doing.

It would be like saying that a guy that beats his wife and says that sometimes it is just necessary is just as bad as a women that gets beaten by her husband saying the same thing. Doesn't make the statement correct or acceptable, but I would definitely be more understanding of the latter.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:17:59 PM by prognastat »

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
Hmmm, peaceful protest of an invitation to speak of a controversial figure I think in general is okay. But there a number of things a protest could do to overstep its bounds:

- Obviously violence is bad, it just puts you in the wrong and opens you and your group up to attack
- Physically preventing the speaker from presenting if the parties involved decide to move forward, generally that requires some use of force and constitutes some level of violence.

Beyond that I think protest of speakers are okay, though probably not always the best tactic for dealing with those like Milo. That man is at least in part an awful troll and people should have at least attempted to ignore him as a tactic to marginalize his idiotic message. Even if 1% of his protesters misbehave they alone have helped swell his fan base with those who just want to fight people stifling free-speech.

Good to see there are still some lines he can cross though that will piss off some of his conservative base. I didn't think it would take complementing a priest for teaching him to give a good blow job(I assume that was a bad joke, but I didn't look into it) or that pedophilia could be a nurturing beautiful thing between gay men and boys, but I guess that's good enough if it stifles his popularity.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
being the victim of abuse does not excuse you from perpetrating abuse. jesus.

eta: or condoning it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:00:20 PM by ariapluscat »

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »

I'd say that the Milo situation was quite effective at showing how it worked. Milo gets protested and people try to silence him and getting institutions to disinvite him and he becomes more famous than he ever would have been, gets more speaking engagements, prominence among politicians and book deals. The thing that managed to undo much of that was the drunken peasants giving him a platform to speak freely. I would say if there had been no attempts to silence him in the first place he would not have gained the prominence he had and if he would not have been allowed to speak freely by others he wouldn't have lost it.

i mean aside from calling the cpac drunken peasants i disagree with you, but i really agree with calling them drunken peasants, like wow.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »
^Drunken Peasants is the show where he extols the virtues of man-boy sex....

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
^Drunken Peasants is the show where he extols the virtues of man-boy sex....
... i just. life has become a parody of itself...

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Just be glad there still seem to be lines everyone agrees shouldn't be crossed. In perfect honesty, I feel sorry for Milo. No doubt this was part of the denial of his own abuse. Regardless, it isn't something that should be condoned. An awful situation all around with no real winners.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
being the victim of abuse does not excuse you from perpetrating abuse. jesus.

eta: or condoning it.

I would agree that it does not excuse perpetrating or condoning abuse though I don't agree that's exactly what he did. He excused it because some minors "including himself" are mature for their age, the quoted part is why I believe it is more a way of trying to reframe his abuse. He also mentions that he was to blame as he "seduced" his abuser which is not uncommon for victims of abuse to say and would definitely explain his very warped view on this. I don't think this is right and it is good that he is getting negative consequences due to this to enforce that though this may be the way he personally copes with this it is not acceptable to say this publicly as doing so can very easily be taken as condoning it. Though I see no proof in his actions nor his words showing that he thinks this is something that he does himself.

I would agree it doesn't excuse him normalizing what happened to himself, however it does make it much more understandable and I would not judge him as harshly for this as I would someone who was the child abuser instead of the victim and them attempting to normalize their own behavior.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:10:11 PM by prognastat »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/02/20/24882248/milo-yiannopoulos-gets-dropped-from-cpac

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/02/20/24881934/milo-yiannopoulos-girls-are-in-danger-when-adult-trans-women-use-public-toilets-but-13-year-old-boys-can-benefit-from-giving-head-to-adult-ma

This is why you give guys like Milo free speech. If they are genuine nutters they usually shoot themselves in the foot for you.

Yeah, silencing him with protests and riots made him a star, got him speaking invitations and book deals. Letting him talk is what actually worked. Who'd have thunk.

Then why won't the Conservative Political Action Committee let him speak? Censorship!!!!
In what world does " using force to stop someone from exercising free speech" equate to "Anytime a group decides to not hire a presenter." I can't believe that is your equation.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »

In what world does " using force to stop someone from exercising free speech" equate to "Anytime a group decides to not hire a presenter." I can't believe that is your equation.

Protesting isn't using force.

I just find it a rich, yummy irony that CPAC disinvited their free speech darling.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »

It isn't even about force. He was protested against and kept getting deals, yet when the dumbass speaks freely-everyone is disgusted! Free speech at work. Ya don't really have to protest a guy condoning pedophilia, he hung that noose himself....

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:52 PM »
Absolutely. So much more effective to let free speech shine than to break windows or block the entrances to venues or peoper spray people.

Kris: irony is one thing. Equating violent protests to uninvited spearkers is something different.